PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey - "We know he has the tools."

Bronco Rob
03-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Broncos' Quinn, McDaniels have common thread in Weis

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/16/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

There has been a long, linear connection between Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and his new quarterback, Brady Quinn. Between these connected dots was Charlie Weis, a big guy who nevertheless didn't get in the way.

In 2004, McDaniels was moved from New England Patriots defensive assistant to quarterbacks coach, where he worked directly under Weis, the team's offensive coordinator. Today, McDaniels refers to Weis as one of his mentors. After 2004, Weis went to Notre Dame, where he became the head coach, with Quinn already waiting. McDaniels, meanwhile, took control of the Patriots' offense.

Weis prospered in his two seasons with Quinn, as did his quarterback, while McDaniels guided the Patriots' offense to record levels. Cleveland then drafted Quinn, who attracted interest from McDaniels soon after he took charge of the Broncos a year ago in a deal involving disgruntled Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, who was eventually traded to Chicago.

"Everyone, no matter who you are, no matter what position you're at, when a team like Denver is talking about possibly picking you up in a trade, you have to be excited about the opportunity," Quinn said Monday in a conference call with the Denver media. "It's a great organization. It's something I'm sure a lot of guys in the NFL would love to come play for, especially to live in a city like this."

McDaniels flirted with Quinn last year. They became engaged Sunday. The Browns, who empowered coach Eric Mangini to make all football decisions last year, were unwilling to deal Quinn at the time. Mike Holm- gren now heads the Browns' regime, and he quickly made Quinn expendable after acquiring veteran Jake Delhomme to play quarterback and Seneca Wallace to be his backup.

McDaniels didn't hesitate to make a deal, acquiring Quinn in exchange for running back Peyton Hillis, a sixth-round pick in the 2011 draft and a conditional draft pick in 2012.

Quinn arrives not as the replacement for Cutler but as the backup to Kyle Orton, whom McDaniels wound up acquiring in the Cutler deal.

Orton has a full-season head start on Quinn in terms of operating McDaniels' system. But because McDaniels' system is based in what he learned from Weis, Quinn might be able to catch up quicker than most.

"I imagine there is some carryover," Quinn said. "I'm sure I will find myself pretty familiar with some of the concepts."

Even if Quinn did not play well for the Browns last year, at the very least the Broncos considered him an upgrade over backup Chris Simms, an eight-year NFL veteran whom the team released Monday.

There remains hope among the Broncos, however, that Quinn has an upside that has not yet been touched. A first- round draft pick in 2007, he didn't get a shot as a rookie because of the surprise emergence of journeyman Derek Anderson. Quinn got his chance in 2008 and 2009, only to have both opportunities cut short by season-ending injuries.

Maybe in Denver, Quinn can become what he never became in Cleveland. He arrived at the Broncos' headquarters Monday, took his physical, signed the paperwork that made the trade official and was scheduled to hold his first workout Monday afternoon. McDaniels did not make himself available to the media to talk about his new acquisition.

Quinn's next order of business may be to pick out a new number. He has worn No. 10 since his Notre Dame days, but that number belongs to Broncos receiver Jabar

Gaffney.

"It might be a hard sell to get that number," Quinn said. "So I've got to talk to him and see. I've thought about a few different numbers, so I'm going to be patient about it and see what happens."

Until Orton returns later this week from the NFL players' association meetings in Hawaii, Quinn is the Broncos' most experienced quarterback.

"We know he has the tools," said Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, who played against Quinn and the Browns in Game 2 of the 2009 season. "I honestly think the guy just needs to be in a good situation. I remember watching him in college and he was great in college. I'm assuming our system will be similar to what he saw in college, so hopefully that will help the transition."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14682215

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 06:51 AM
well i am actually happy with the move. never been a big Quinn fan, but if McDaniels sees something in him that he can turn into a pro bowler or just a good starting QB he can get to and win playoff games with then that is great.

i just doubt he will beat out Kyle for the job this season.

the way I am looking at 2010 is Kyle will be auditioning for 2011 in another city, or unless he lights up the league a new deal in Denver, while McDaniels is prepping Quinn to take over in 2011.

Hamrob
03-16-2010, 09:13 AM
First of all, I like Quinn. We're talking about one of the best college QB's the last 10yrs. He's got the size and the ability to be special. He was in football purgatory in Cleveland. I'd bet a dollar to make a thousand any day of the week.

Secondly, if he doesn't show himself and Orton still looks pedestrian...then we draft a kid next year in a much deeper QB class coming out.

It's all good in my book.

oubronco
03-16-2010, 09:15 AM
First of all, I like Quinn. We're talking about one of the best college QB's the last 10yrs.

:spit: Have you watched him play :spit:

StugotsIII
03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
First of all, I like Quinn. We're talking about one of the best college QB's the last 10yrs. He's got the size and the ability to be special. He was in football purgatory in Cleveland. I'd bet a dollar to make a thousand any day of the week.

Secondly, if he doesn't show himself and Orton still looks pedestrian...then we draft a kid next year in a much deeper QB class coming out.

It's all good in my book.

While I hope Quinn turns out to be an outstanding pro in Denver...I have to disagree with you...

Brady Quinn was drastically overrated in college and often time padded his stats late in games against terrible competition.

The few times he faced top flight competition...he faultered. Look at his two BCS games...vs OSU and LSU...terrible.

He made a name for himself being on a team that is highly visibly (ND) and highly overrated each and every year.

There is no way Quinn should be on any list featuring the best college QB's.

Kaylore
03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
If he is a better backup than Chris Simms, it was a good trade. I'm not expecting more than that, but if he does more, than good for us.

WolfpackGuy
03-16-2010, 09:20 AM
The few times he faced top flight competition...he faultered. Look at his two BCS games...vs OSU and LSU...terrible.

Damn straight. When JaMucus Russell outplays you, you have problems.

If he is a better backup than Chris Simms, it was a good trade.

Agreed, Quinn sure can't be any worse.

broncocalijohn
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
:spit: Have you watched him play :spit:

or the other hundreds of QBs in the NCAA from the last decade?

Is it now assumed when the Broncos need a feel good quote, Bailey can provide it for you? I do agree that the game he played vs us (wasnt it 2008) when we came back to win, Quinn had a very good game. Still dont care too much for him.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Has there ever been a better PR coached NFL player then Bailey?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-16-2010, 10:55 AM
I think you do a disservice by judging Quinn from his Cleveland games. That entire team and culture was awful and disorganized. I mentioned this in another thread, but Vinny Testaverde looked like a pop warner QB on the bucs and he turned into a pretty good player. I like Quinn, think he's smart, can make the throws. If he is to be a successful NFL QB, this is the place

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Has there ever been a better PR coached NFL player then Bailey?

poor guy has had to be good at PR. always in ****ty positions. first in Washington where obviously that is a bad deal, then comes to Denver where Mike probably talked to him about the idea of winning championships only to see 5 different DC during his tenure in Denver and a single playoff win. he is trained in being in ****ty positions and because of that has learned to say all the right things.

Beantown Bronco
03-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I heard on the light rail that Bailey is super pissed that he was mis-quoted. Apparently, he said:

"We know he's a tool"

baja
03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
I heard on the light rail that Bailey is super pissed that he was mis-quoted. Apparently, he said:

"We know he's a tool"

So are you saying we traded a 5 tool player for a mere tool???

gyldenlove
03-16-2010, 12:18 PM

"We know he's a tool"

That is a misquote, I know a guy who has a cousin who works with a girl whos brother sat next to a guy on the bus who was there, what he said was:

"We know he likes a tool"

TheDave
03-16-2010, 12:19 PM
If he is a better backup than Chris Simms, it was a good trade. I'm not expecting more than that, but if he does more, than good for us.

Yep... At the very least we just got some upside at an extremely important position

Archer81
03-16-2010, 12:26 PM
That is a misquote, I know a guy who has a cousin who works with a girl whos brother sat next to a guy on the bus who was there, what he said was:

"We know he likes a tool"

Wow. Thank God for that guy's cousin's coworker's brother. Otherwise we'd never get the real news.

:Broncos:

gyldenlove
03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow. Thank God for that guy's cousin's coworker's brother. Otherwise we'd never get the real news.

:Broncos:

We aim to please or something like that.

cousinal11
03-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Quinn looked pretty sharp against us in 08, but then again who didn't?

I'm going with the wait and see approach.

cabronco
03-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Yep... At the very least we just got some upside at an extremely important position

Especially since Orton seems to get injured now and then. We need a capable back up. Whoever the starter is we should be much better off now. I think this is the best 3 Qb's we've had since the Elway/ Kubiak years.

loborugger
03-16-2010, 01:10 PM

He cant possibly be worse, can he???

Bronco Rob
03-16-2010, 03:05 PM
:thumbs:

BlaK-Argentina
03-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Especially since Orton seems to get injured now and then. We need a capable back up. Whoever the starter is we should be much better off now. I think this is the best 3 Qb's we've had since the Elway/ Kubiak years.

I think Plummer/Beuerlein were better for a bit there.

Who was Cutler's backup again? Can't remember.

BlaK-Argentina
03-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Oh yeah... Patrick Ramsey.

Now I'm depressed.

PRBronco
03-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that if Quinn took over that Redskins game when Orton went down, we hang on to win. Then I wouldn't have to hear "zomgz finished 2-8" or "zomgz started 6-0 and missed teh playoffs" in every mention of the Broncos season.