PDA

View Full Version : broncos to work out centers matt tennant of BC AND JD walton of baylor

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 11:35 AM
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=954196&nid=4298648&fhn=1

updated

chrissteuber

I'm reporting that Baylor center J.D. Walton has a private workout scheduled with the Denver Broncos this week and Atlanta Falcons next week

Tombstone RJ
03-15-2010, 11:44 AM
I like those BC linemen... lots of good interior oline guys come out of BC.

PRBronco
03-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Nice, wouldn't mind another BC center :) The article also says we worked out Vlad Ducasse last week, didn't know that. I like him as a guard.

I wonder how Tennant feels about never cutting his hair again?

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 11:48 AM
would be awesome to spend 2 second round picks on top prospect C/G.

TheDave
03-15-2010, 11:54 AM
we need to keep a running tab of everyone they work out... see if they only draft people they have personally met again this year.

Requiem
03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Tennant and Walton would be great fits here. I'd like either. Pass on Pouncey.

Ducasse news is also encouraging. I hope we are able to accumulate more picks somehow to get some quality players in this class. Tennant and Ducasse aren't first-rounders, but Ducasse is easly a second round guard and Tennant could go as high as the second for anyone wanting a center, but I feel he's more of a third round guy. I'd take those guys in order to beef up our line.

PRBronco
03-15-2010, 11:57 AM
we need to keep a running tab of everyone they work out... see if they only draft people they have personally met again this year.

Anyone remember who we worked out last year?

cmhargrove
03-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Nice, wouldn't mind another BC center :) The article also says we worked out Vlad Ducasse last week, didn't know that. I like him as a guard.

I wonder how Tennant feels about never cutting his hair again?

I agree with both players.

Ducasse is a mean pile driver and should be every bit as good as Iupati. If we could land Ducasse in the second round, i'd be pretty happy.

I love Iupati, but his performance in the senior bowl left some HUGE question marks in my book. He got tooled way too many times in one on one situations. At least Ducasse has played Tackle, and has led a really productive run attack. Vlad in the second would be awesome.

PRBronco
03-15-2010, 12:05 PM
I agree with both players.

Ducasse is a mean pile driver and should be every bit as good as Iupati. If we could land Ducasse in the second round, i'd be pretty happy.

I love Iupati, but his performance in the senior bowl left some HUGE question marks in my book. He got tooled way too many times in one on one situations. At least Ducasse has played Tackle, and has led a really productive run attack. Vlad in the second would be awesome.

:thumbsup: That's another thing I liked about him, he could slide outside if Ryan Harris got hurt again (just maybe not as a rook).

gyldenlove
03-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Anyone remember who we worked out last year?

Every single player we drafted had a workout.

KS Bronco
03-15-2010, 12:11 PM

even moreno? i thought he was "surprised" because he didnt think he was on the broncos radar...

oubronco
03-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Pouncey and Ducasse would be awesome

Chief Macho
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
How often does a center come in to the NFL and play right away? Does it happen alot? Its been so long since the Broncos didn't have a center I don't know how hard that is. Mangold did it I think.

Ziggy
03-15-2010, 12:21 PM

The Broncos said that they had contact with everyone they selected, not a workout. Moreno talked on the phone with Bobby Turner if I remember correctly.

PRBronco
03-15-2010, 12:29 PM
How often does a center come in to the NFL and play right away? Does it happen alot? Its been so long since the Broncos didn't have a center I don't know how hard that is. Mangold did it I think.

It's certainly not unheard of. Last year the Browns and the Bills started rookies. The year before that, the Colts drafted 2 centers and both ended up playing because of injuries (I think they might have played at guard though). That's off the top of my head, can't think of other recent examples. I think centers are generally some of the smartest guys on the field, probably makes the transition a little easier.

Requiem
03-15-2010, 12:40 PM
No to Pouncey for Christ-sakes.

Paladin
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Tennant's size would be helpful, for sure. And Ducasse has been mentioned befoire around here as a player of interest.....

elsid13
03-15-2010, 12:43 PM
The Broncos said that they had contact with everyone they selected, not a workout. Moreno talked on the phone with Bobby Turner if I remember correctly.

They actually worked all the player outs, include Moreno. Remember Wells failed to show.

elsid13
03-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Tennet, Ducasse and Watson are quality players. Hopefully we get two of the three.

BroncoMan4ever
03-15-2010, 12:48 PM

i personally prefer that they actually watch and get in touch with potential prospects, instead of play that stupid smokescreen crap of deception on who you may draft like so many teams do.

i also like the narrowed down short list of guys McDaniels is interested in bringing in. by narrowing the list down and having actual meetings with guys you are interested in you get a more personal experience and get better acquaited with prospects.

BroncoMan4ever
03-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Tennet, Ducasse and Watson are quality players. Hopefully we get two of the three.

my dream 1st 2 rounds of the draft would be to move back from 11 and pick up an additional 2nd so that we can in the 1st get Iupati, and Pouncey and Spikes in the 2nd.

Paladin
03-15-2010, 12:56 PM
i personally prefer that they actually watch and get in touch with potential prospects, instead of play that stupid smokescreen crap of deception on who you may draft like so many teams do.

i also like the narrowed down short list of guys McDaniels is interested in bringing in. by narrowing the list down and having actual meetings with guys you are interested in you get a more personal experience and get better acquaited with prospects.

But, but, he's a dummy for limiting his "board," and he is just fouling up the whole draft thing, and he is tearing down and ripping apart the franchise and getting rid of all the great players on the team and he doesn't pay attention to the OM Peanut Gallery of innane posters or follow directions.

Whatever are you doing endorsing anything he does? Hm?

BroncoMan4ever
03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
But, but, he's a dummy for limiting his "board," and he is just fouling up the whole draft thing, and he is tearing down and ripping apart the franchise and getting rid of all the great players on the team and he doesn't pay attention to the OM Peanut Gallery of innane posters or follow directions.

Whatever are you doing endorsing anything he does? Hm?

i think i am suffering from exhaustion and forgot rational thinking is not a good thing here at times.

but seriously the way i look at it, most teams boards have upwards of 300 guys on them and what purpose does that really serve? basically it is just a list of 300 players and the position they play, no team is going to meet with that many college players. it is basically just a list of names of all the guys who went tothe combine, no work need be put into it.

by narroing it down, you get one on one time with all the guys you think may be a good fit, and get to make final opinions on a lot of guys as opposed to just rolling the dice on a prospect. in my mind it takes more work to narrow a list down to the guys you want and have evaluated closely than to have hundreds of potentials.

elsid13
03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
my dream 1st 2 rounds of the draft would be to move back from 11 and pick up an additional 2nd so that we can in the 1st get Iupati, and Pouncey and Spikes in the 2nd.

Iupati is nice player but he is extremely raw and is going to need time under a pro line coach to learn to move his feet, he grabs to much. He going to get draft earlier on potential but he going time to make the transition to a pro guard

Pouncey is extremely overrated. He doesn't bend enough and has poor techinque. Med and BPC had nice discussion on him. But basically I don't want Denver to go any where near him.

The best interior linemen in this draft in my mind are

Watson - Baylor nasty center who plays with great leverage
Tennent - Pro ready center that plays with good techinque
Iupati - Raw athletic Leonard Davis type player
Rodger Saffold (IU) - under the radar T/G that remind me of Kuper
John Jerry (old Miss) - big linemen that similar to SF's Baas
Mike Johnson - Solid pro with ability to play in ZBS or power scheme.
Vladimir Ducasse - similar player to KC's Albert

elsid13
03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
i think i am suffering from exhaustion and forgot rational thinking is not a good thing here at times.

but seriously the way i look at it, most teams boards have upwards of 300 guys on them and what purpose does that really serve? basically it is just a list of 300 players and the position they play, no team is going to meet with that many college players. it is basically just a list of names of all the guys who went tothe combine, no work need be put into it.

by narroing it down, you get one on one time with all the guys you think may be a good fit, and get to make final opinions on a lot of guys as opposed to just rolling the dice on a prospect. in my mind it takes more work to narrow a list down to the guys you want and have evaluated closely than to have hundreds of potentials.

The board aren't just a list of names, they are full scouting reports including game tape and position coaches opinions. That what the coaching staffs and scout have been doing since the season ended.

Because of the number of teams, you are extremely stupid to limit your opportunities to select any player.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-15-2010, 01:15 PM
http://media.scout.com/media/image/78/788953.jpg

If the lineman thing doesn't work out, he could probably go into male modeling. That is one handsome devil.

TheDave
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM

It's good in theory, but impossible in the real world.

They did it last year because they were so far behind. This year and on into the future there are WAY too many possibilities to meet with them all.

That and it telegraphs to every team what you are doing.

Hamrob
03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm all for some young hosses up front...but, I'm still hoping we draft a young NT. It's funny how critical of Shanny we were in terms of bringing in old washed up guys on defense, but here we go again with McDaniels.

For the record, I like our signings this year...but, when you look at our defense as a whole...we're old. I just hope the wheels don't fall off. We need youth on that Dline IMO.

ZONA
03-15-2010, 02:43 PM
I hope they work out JD Walton also. We need either him or Tennant for sure.

watermock
03-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Our draft sucked.

We didn't have to bring in marginal choices.

Cushing, Wells, Greene, some NT's were all there.

Mr.Meanie
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Our draft sucked.

We didn't have to bring in marginal choices.

Cushing, Wells, Greene, some NT's were all there.

Can you go ahead and give us the definitive list of the draft choices McD should pick this year? That way maybe next year we won't get the "In hindsight, McD should have picked all the best players that excelled their draft class" comments. Who knows, if you hit on all of them maybe he'll even hire you to be his personal draft advisor...

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
updated, also looking at a big ugly from baylor. basically, mcdaniels is drafting a center in the 2nd round this year, lock it up.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2010, 04:06 PM
updated, also looking at a big ugly from baylor. basically, mcdaniels is drafting a center in the 2nd round this year, lock it up.

There is a real good chance some of these guys are still on the board in the third round do to the depth of this draft. To claim anything is a lock would be crazy.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 04:07 PM
yes but these are 2 of the 3 top rated centers in the game, and if mcdaniels showed anything last year, he doesnt care if he THINKS they will be there with his next pick, he will go get them to make sure he has them.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
yes but these are 2 of the 3 top rated centers in the game, and if mcdaniels showed anything last year, he doesnt care if he THINKS they will be there with his next pick, he will go get them to make sure he has them.

I think that is a very poor way of doing the draft. There are not that many teams that need to address the center position in the first two rounds tsi. Hell at worse we could have to draft Eric Olsen. A guy that can play multiple positions along the line and only gave up one sack as a senior.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 04:30 PM
i like that he targets specific guys that he thinks will contribute right away. as i posted before, most teams in teh NFL have a small draft board of guys they think can contribute to their specific team the best.

centers occasionally go in the first if they are absolute maulers, they are going higher and higher in the draft, look at max and unger.

barryr
03-15-2010, 04:49 PM
The interior of the o-line needs work, so I'm sure they will work out quite a few guys. Right now, it appears the best move for the Broncos is to move back, if they can, and get an extra pick. Unless a player drops to that #11 pick of course that they want, but as it stands, the best BPA at #11 seems to be WR Bryant, and while I wouldn't mind taking him, I don't know if that's the best move to make.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
i like that he targets specific guys that he thinks will contribute right away. as i posted before, most teams in teh NFL have a small draft board of guys they think can contribute to their specific team the best.

centers occasionally go in the first if they are absolute maulers, they are going higher and higher in the draft, look at max and unger.

I didn't say anything about them not going in the first round tsi, I said not many teams need to upgrade the center position that early in a draft this deep. Here is a list of teams that could use a center

Redskins: What are the odds of Mike Shanahan drafting a center early?
Vikings: John Sullivan, I guess he didn't do that well but it was his first year starting. Not the teams first need with Favre on the bubble. Still high need.
Jags: Brad Meester 33 years old but struggled to open up lanes. Not a huge need but a need non the less.
Denver: We don't have one that's why lol
KC: They signed Casey Wiegmann, and might wait to get one early in the 4th. They are the biggest risk of grabbing one in the third before us though.

The Bears and Eagles could uses some depth as well. I think Maurkice Pouncey will be the first guy taken because of his ability to play guard and center. I still think there are three guys after him that would be good players for us.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 05:06 PM
but at the same time, you gotta realize that most teams draft by BPA, a lot of centers can kick out to guard to play, and if ANY team (besides jets, browns, sea etc) sees one of these guys as an upgrade to their team in the 2nd round, they will take them. cant always just hope a guy falls, especially at such an extreme need for this team, considering tehy dont have one on the roster.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 05:07 PM
The interior of the o-line needs work, so I'm sure they will work out quite a few guys. Right now, it appears the best move for the Broncos is to move back, if they can, and get an extra pick. Unless a player drops to that #11 pick of course that they want, but as it stands, the best BPA at #11 seems to be WR Bryant, and while I wouldn't mind taking him, I don't know if that's the best move to make.

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com writes that he "wouldn’t be surprised if (Dez) Bryant slips out of the first round entirely."
Marvez cites a recent ESPN The Magazine report that claimed Bryant was "notoriously unreliable" in college, and that "Getting him to focus on even simple tasks like attending class was a daily struggle." In addition to FOX and ESPN The Mag, the National Football Post, Cleveland Plain Dealer, and Yahoo have published negative reports about Bryant in the last month.
Source: FOX Sports

strafen
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I'll be stoked if we get Tennant

DBroncos4life
03-15-2010, 05:17 PM
but at the same time, you gotta realize that most teams draft by BPA, a lot of centers can kick out to guard to play, and if ANY team (besides jets, browns, sea etc) sees one of these guys as an upgrade to their team in the 2nd round, they will take them. cant always just hope a guy falls, especially at such an extreme need for this team, considering tehy dont have one on the roster.

**** it there is no point in debating anything with you. Despite the large amount of players that are going to have first round and second round grades and so little teams looking for a center you still believe people are going to have these guys high up on their BPA.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
**** it there is no point in debating anything with you. Despite the large amount of players that are going to have first round and second round grades and so little teams looking for a center you still believe people are going to have these guys high up on their BPA.

not ME, the actual people drafting tehm will have them with second round grades. that leaves us with 2 options.

1. draft one with our 2nd rd pick and solidify (hopefully) the C position on the team, of which we currently dont even have one.

2. hope they last until rd 3 and get one then, or get a lower ranked player than and hope he is capable of starting his rookie year.

center might be the biggest need on the team, and you want to pass it up to fix other less valuable positions right now?

DBroncos4life
03-15-2010, 05:36 PM
not ME, the actual people drafting tehm will have them with second round grades. that leaves us with 2 options.

1. draft one with our 2nd rd pick and solidify (hopefully) the C position on the team, of which we currently dont even have one.

2. hope they last until rd 3 and get one then, or get a lower ranked player than and hope he is capable of starting his rookie year.

center might be the biggest need on the team, and you want to pass it up to fix other less valuable positions right now?

I don't have just one position at the biggest need. LG, C, and ILB are all equal to me. Still just because the player is the best at the position of need doesn't make him the BPA. When pick eleven comes up and Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Iupati, Rolando McClain, and Eric Berry are still available who do you think we should pick? If we don't sprint to the podium seconds after pick 10 is announced with a card that reads Eric Berry it's a epic failure.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 05:39 PM
I don't have just one position at the biggest need. LG, C, and ILB are all equal to me. Still just because the player is the best at the position of need doesn't make him the BPA. When pick eleven comes up and Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Iupati, Rolando McClain, and Eric Berry are still available who do you think we should pick? If we don't sprint to the podium seconds after pick 10 is announced with a card that reads Eric Berry it's a epic failure.

im aware, im the first one to mention BPA in this thread. in the middle of the 2nd round, if a top flight center is on the board, i expect mcdaniels to take him because of his importance of the lines. if we had more 2nd rounders that would be nice, but considering we dont know how his board will read, its impossible to say. what is very accurate to say is if mcdaniels likes one of these centers enough, dont be surprised to see him move up from the 3rd round to grab him in late second, hell or even just take one with the 2nd pick.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2010, 05:56 PM
im aware, im the first one to mention BPA in this thread. in the middle of the 2nd round, if a top flight center is on the board, i expect mcdaniels to take him because of his importance of the lines. if we had more 2nd rounders that would be nice, but considering we dont know how his board will read, its impossible to say. what is very accurate to say is if mcdaniels likes one of these centers enough, dont be surprised to see him move up from the 3rd round to grab him in late second, hell or even just take one with the 2nd pick.

lol, I won't be shocked about anything. Center is a need so if we drafted one in the second then so be it. You are the one that said its a lock that we will draft one in the second. Hell maybe McClain falls all the way down to our second round pick. All of the sudden the thought of having to live with Eric Olsen in the third round is worth the risk of not being able to draft J.D. Walton or Matt Tennant.

Drek
03-15-2010, 05:58 PM

Unless that card we do turn in says CJ Spiller or Sean Weatherspoon on it.

;p

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 06:00 PM
lol, I won't be shocked about anything. Center is a need so if we drafted one in the second then so be it. You are the one that said its a lock that we will draft one in the second. Hell maybe McClain falls all the way down to our second round pick. All of the sudden the thought of having to live with Eric Olsen in the third round is worth the risk of not being able to draft J.D. Walton or Matt Tennant.

given mcdaniels history of going to get the guys he wants and our need for a center, id give 2-1 odds we draft a center before our original third round pick. max value 5 dollars.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2010, 06:05 PM

;p

I don't want any part of Weatherspoon. We already have one WLB trying to play ILB. Like I said in other threads good player but not for me.

SpiritGuy
03-15-2010, 06:42 PM
I hope they work out JD Walton also. We need either him or Tennant for sure.

I'm reporting that Baylor center J.D. Walton has a private workout scheduled with the Denver Broncos this week and Atlanta Falcons next week

Chris Steuber (http://twitter.com/chrissteuber)

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 06:46 PM

Chris Steuber (http://twitter.com/chrissteuber)

oddly enough, i updated the thread with that twitter post after he wanted that. his wish came true in just a few minutes :P

orinjkrush
03-15-2010, 06:56 PM
well, according to CBS, its C or die:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/team-needs/AFC/West?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

WWTPD? (what would the Patriots do?)

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 06:59 PM
that thing is pretty accurate. our punter need is higher but we have an open competition i think with trapasso and someone else. also ILB need is higher.

ZONA
03-15-2010, 11:05 PM
There is a real good chance some of these guys are still on the board in the third round do to the depth of this draft. To claim anything is a lock would be crazy.

This is exactly why I think moving down like 6 spots or so in the first would be wise. If we could pick up a late 2nd rounder, I would snag JD Walton with that pick. I wouldn't want us to reach for him at #45. But I wouldn't want to wait until middle of the 3rd to see if he MIGHT still be there.

watermock
03-15-2010, 11:11 PM
that thing is pretty accurate. our punter need is higher but we have an open competition i think with trapasso and someone else. also ILB need is higher.

wow

Beavis will **** around and trade for a guard.

Watch.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 12:10 AM
The board aren't just a list of names, they are full scouting reports including game tape and position coaches opinions. That what the coaching staffs and scout have been doing since the season ended.

Because of the number of teams, you are extremely stupid to limit your opportunities to select any player.

and i feel the complete opposite way about that. by having hundreds of potential picks oin your list, it basically becomes a guessing game, but by narrowing the list down, and saying these are the 10-12 guys we want with our 1st rounder, these are the guys we want with our second. by doing that it enables you to get really in depth with "YOUR" guys as opposed to relying on just scouting reports, and word of mouth. With a narrowed list you in theory can meet with every single guy you may be interested in, and then decide this is definitely a guy we want at 11 if he is still there or, this guy does not fit our team attitude, personality or whatever and we won't be taking him even if he is available to us.

and if he only had a list of 10 guys that he was interested in for potentially drafting, i agree that would be incredibly stupid, but a list of 90-100 guys seems fine to me.

i look back to the 06 draft. do you really think had Mike met with Cutler, seen him perform up close and personal, talked with him, and actually got to see all his faults that he would have traded up to draft him that year? personally i don't. I think Mike would have seen a guy with great athletic talent and a bad attitude, and a guy not particularly interested in improving his game. instead he relied on only scouting reports and word of mouth from his friend Jeff Fisher.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 12:15 AM
It's good in theory, but impossible in the real world.

They did it last year because they were so far behind. This year and on into the future there are WAY too many possibilities to meet with them all.

That and it telegraphs to every team what you are doing.

they in some way communicated with all the guys they drafted to get a feel for if they would be good fits with the team.

and also, last season all the scouting reports were available to McDaniels, as the only 2 guys related to scouting that were let go were the Goodmans so he already had the list of hundreds of players that had been looked at over the year by Broncos staff. he took those lists of hundreds of guys and narrowed it down. i don't see any reason why he wouldn't do it again.

and it doesn't telegraph what you're doing to the rest of the league. all teams bring in guys to workout and all the guys we drafted didn't come in for workouts, for instance Moreno simply talked on the phone with Turner.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm all for some young hosses up front...but, I'm still hoping we draft a young NT. It's funny how critical of Shanny we were in terms of bringing in old washed up guys on defense, but here we go again with McDaniels.

For the record, I like our signings this year...but, when you look at our defense as a whole...we're old. I just hope the wheels don't fall off. We need youth on that Dline IMO.

i think it is guaranteed we bring in some youth on the DL. look at last season. McDaniels and Nolan identified the secondary as the weakest link on the defense and went out and got guys all averaging around 33 years old to come in and start and fix the secondary. but unlike Mike in years past when he brought in older talent, when the draft came, he also got youth and the old guys eventual replacements. i think he will do it again this season, unless the team all feels Baker is the guy and they are grooming him to takeover

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 12:24 AM

i agree completely. so many people say draft BPA available even if that guy doesn't fit a real need for the team at the time.

last season McDaniels had his list of guys he thought would help the team.

and this season if he sees a C in the 2nd round that he believes is going to solidify the position, then i hope he drafts him, even if the supposed draft value isn't right at the pick.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 12:28 AM

and i don't agree with that. i agree BPA at times, but for a team with the glaring weaknesses the Broncos have on the interior line, and front 7 it would be foolish to use valuable picks on someone like Berry or Bryant when he isn't needed. teams with identified holes like the Broncos have need to go BPA(At a Position of Need)

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 12:29 AM

;p

if we turn in a card that reads CJ Spiller i am going to **** out my own heart.

SouthStndJunkie
03-16-2010, 06:11 AM
I've been studying the centers in this draft, as it is apparent that we need one and will be drafting one.

My choice is: J.D. Walton, C, Baylor.

6'2 5/8 and 300 pounds. Tough and nasty, bulky, stout, good pass and run blocker, a leader. Basically everything you want in a center.

My preference would be to take him in Round 3.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 07:48 AM
and i don't agree with that. i agree BPA at times, but for a team with the glaring weaknesses the Broncos have on the interior line, and front 7 it would be foolish to use valuable picks on someone like Berry or Bryant when he isn't needed. teams with identified holes like the Broncos have need to go BPA(At a Position of Need)

BPA means "best player available", period. Maurkice Pouncey and Mike Iupati would be considered a reach by anyone at pick 11. Even though I'm on the record of saying if we drafted Iupati at 11 I would be fine with it. Rolando McClain has some flaws as well. After reading the scouting reports from here and elsewhere I worry about him at 11 and then there is the illness to consider. McClain isn't a better prospect the Eric Berry.

You can make a pretty good case that Ed Reed's impact on that Ravens D was bigger then anyone on that front 7 not named Ray Lewis. If Berry is as good as prospect as Ed Reed, then to me it's a not a hard decision to make.

PRBronco
03-16-2010, 08:26 AM
You can make a pretty good case that Ed Reed's impact on that Ravens D was bigger then anyone on that front 7 not named Ray Lewis. If Berry is as good as prospect as Ed Reed, then to me it's a not a hard decision to make.

Yeah I used to think focusing too much on the secondary was for chumps, but then I saw how the Steelers played with and without Polamalu this year. The defensive line is crazy important, but having a game changing safety can make all the difference in the world.

tsiguy96
03-16-2010, 08:30 AM
BPA means "best player available", period. Maurkice Pouncey and Mike Iupati would be considered a reach by anyone at pick 11. Even though I'm on the record of saying if we drafted Iupati at 11 I would be fine with it. Rolando McClain has some flaws as well. After reading the scouting reports from here and elsewhere I worry about him at 11 and then there is the illness to consider. McClain isn't a better prospect the Eric Berry.

not that it means much, but raiders coach tom cable said on sirius radio that every team doesnt stick solely to BPA, that there is needs that teams need to fill going into the draft and they will look to fill those needs while getting the best player that they can.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 09:02 AM
not that it means much, but raiders coach tom cable said on sirius radio that every team doesnt stick solely to BPA, that there is needs that teams need to fill going into the draft and they will look to fill those needs while getting the best player that they can.

I know that teams don't stick to BPA. I would prefer us to do it when we have a pick in the top 15 of a draft though. If that player happens to be Spiller, Berry, or Weatherspoon then so be it but you can't deny that either one of those guys should bring much needed impact to the team.

tsiguy96
03-16-2010, 09:05 AM
I know that teams don't stick to BPA. I would prefer us to do it when we have a pick in the top 15 of a draft though. If that player happens to be Spiller, Berry, or Weatherspoon then so be it but you can't deny that either one of those guys should bring much needed impact to the team.

but at the same time you have to look at whether a guy is going to help the team make an impact more than filing a position of absolute need. thats why it would suck to be a GM on the spot.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 09:08 AM

while i agree Reed is a phenomenal talent i believe without the badass fromt 7 he has had in Baltimore, he is not seen as the great player he is today.

a great front 7 will hide deficiencies in a bad secondary. a great secondary isn't going to make a bad front 7 look good though.

i would much rather spend picks making the front 7 dominant as well as the OL dominant, instead of bringing in a guy for the secondary or a new receiver.

if the OL is strong it opens the entire offense up, regardless of the type of talent you have at the receiver, QB, or RB positions. same as with the front 7 of a Defense. make a dominant front 7 and you can basically trot out almost anyone with a little talent in the secondary and they will look just fine.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 09:09 AM

when the hell did Spiller become potential top 10 talent? i seem to remember him being a late 1st rounder.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 09:22 AM
but at the same time you have to look at whether a guy is going to help the team make an impact more than filing a position of absolute need. thats why it would suck to be a GM on the spot.

How often do you see teams fail in the top five of the draft because they go with a need instead of the best player? The Rams are in tough spot at 1. Bradford is the best QB in this draft, and they are thinking of taking him 1st overall. I'm sorry Bradford isn't better then Suh or McCoy. It's a huge risk to take for a GM. If you pick wrong you get fired.

Anyways I think Berry could start over Hill any week and add something extra to the secondary. I do like Hill though, and we have some younger guys behind them but Berry has Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed like abilities. That's hard to pass up regardless of our more pressing needs. Some of the guys like Vladimir Ducasse, J.D. Walton, and Matt Tennant are guys we worked out that we still could get in the second and third rounds if we picked Berry. That would leave ILB in the fourth. Players like Sean Lee, Pat Angerer and maybe even Phillip Dillard could fit that role very well.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 09:24 AM
when the hell did Spiller become potential top 10 talent? i seem to remember him being a late 1st rounder.

I was just throwing out names. Maybe I should have said Larry, Curly or Moe.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 09:26 AM
while i agree Reed is a phenomenal talent i believe without the badass fromt 7 he has had in Baltimore, he is not seen as the great player he is today.

a great front 7 will hide deficiencies in a bad secondary. a great secondary isn't going to make a bad front 7 look good though.

i would much rather spend picks making the front 7 dominant as well as the OL dominant, instead of bringing in a guy for the secondary or a new receiver.

if the OL is strong it opens the entire offense up, regardless of the type of talent you have at the receiver, QB, or RB positions. same as with the front 7 of a Defense. make a dominant front 7 and you can basically trot out almost anyone with a little talent in the secondary and they will look just fine.
Yeah I'm sure Ed Reed would have been average if he played for any other team. Hilarious!

tsiguy96
03-16-2010, 09:31 AM
How often do you see teams fail in the top five of the draft because they go with a need instead of the best player? The Rams are in tough spot at 1. Bradford is the best QB in this draft, and they are thinking of taking him 1st overall. I'm sorry Bradford isn't better then Suh or McCoy. It's a huge risk to take for a GM. If you pick wrong you get fired.

Anyways I think Berry could start over Hill any week and add something extra to the secondary. I do like Hill though, and we have some younger guys behind them but Berry has Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed like abilities. That's hard to pass up regardless of our more pressing needs. Some of the guys like Vladimir Ducasse, J.D. Walton, and Matt Tennant are guys we worked out that we still could get in the second and third rounds if we picked Berry. That would leave ILB in the fourth. Players like Sean Lee, Pat Angerer and maybe even Phillip Dillard could fit that role very well.

rams are looking at QB for other reasons, including not pissing off their fanbase because theyve taken dline in like 3 of last 4 years in first round, none of whom are studs. also, coaching staff wants to breathe some life into teh team since they suck every year. i feel bad for steven jackson.

top 10 i agree BPA is the way to go, even a bit after, but at some point you need to start filling needs on the team, at 11, there will be several players who are really good, and if you have one rated a 95 and one a 97 (considering you rate players like madden does, of course) do you take the 97 if you dont need that position, or 95 in a position of need?

ps pat angerer is awesome

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 09:45 AM
rams are looking at QB for other reasons, including not pissing off their fanbase because theyve taken dline in like 3 of last 4 years in first round, none of whom are studs. also, coaching staff wants to breathe some life into teh team since they suck every year. i feel bad for steven jackson.

top 10 i agree BPA is the way to go, even a bit after, but at some point you need to start filling needs on the team, at 11, there will be several players who are really good, and if you have one rated a 95 and one a 97 (considering you rate players like madden does, of course) do you take the 97 if you dont need that position, or 95 in a position of need?

ps pat angerer is awesome

The way I see it tsi, is Denver is working out a lot of players that have 2nd and beyond grades that fit our needs very well. I don't see a OMG we must have this player because it fits our need at pick 11. That is why I don't see us reaching for a position of need at that spot and instead getting a stud player at a position that is not really a huge need. Hell even a pass rusher like Jason Pierre-Paul should he slide past the Browns could be picked at 11.

tsiguy96
03-16-2010, 09:49 AM
The way I see it tsi, is Denver is working out a lot of players that have 2nd and beyond grades that fit our needs very well. I don't see a OMG we must have this player because it fits our need at pick 11. That is why I don't see us reaching for a position of need at that spot and instead getting a stud player at a position that is not really a huge need. Hell even a pass rusher like Jason Pierre-Paul should he slide past the Browns could be picked at 11.

hey i agree, setting your sights too narrow in the first is silly, as the team knows. gotta wait til your spot, and if the guys you want are ticking down, you gotta move up to grab the guy in your spot (remember when shanahan moved to get jarvis...was last guy that they had graded as a first rounder for the team and werent sure he was gonna last so they moved to get him).

cant just fill position of need obviously, but in a spot where the talent is no longer absolute top tier elite like #11, you might have a few choices of similar value to their respective position, at which point you should take teh guy who best fills your need. unless one guy really stands out of course, just take him.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 09:55 AM
I can't believe we didn't make a serious run at Larry Foote. He resigned with the Steelers. That would have given us a few more years to worry about the ILB spot. Then we could have focused more on the O-Line and D-Line depth.

tsiguy96
03-16-2010, 09:56 AM
ILB is a spot they can find a rookie starter in, and not necessarily in the first round, we need to get younger sometime....

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
ILB is a spot they can find a rookie starter in, and not necessarily in the first round, we need to get younger sometime....

Yeah but Foote is only 29, turns 30 in June. It allows us to buy a year or two. He is a decent pass rusher from the middle too.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah I'm sure Ed Reed would have been average if he played for any other team. Hilarious!

true, it was a stretch on my part saying he would have sucked had he played elsewhere. but you know and i know the point i was trying to make albeit badly.

for the most part unless the guy is a phenomenal talent at the Safety position his development and success as a player will be hindered if his front 7 is bad.

which is why for me personally, i don't feel a Safety is worthy of being a top 10 pick, unless he is a talent like Reed, and as good as Berry is, i don't think he is at that level.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I was just throwing out names. Maybe I should have said Larry, Curly or Moe.

i wasn't getting at anything with your post. i am just saying on more than 1 occasion Spiller is mentioned as a potential top 10 pick, and truthfully i don't think anyone should even think of taking a shot at him until the 20s at the soonest.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 12:52 PM
I can't believe we didn't make a serious run at Larry Foote. He resigned with the Steelers. That would have given us a few more years to worry about the ILB spot. Then we could have focused more on the O-Line and D-Line depth.

i agree, although i am still shocked that we released Davis, instead of letting him play another year while grooming a replacement.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
i wasn't getting at anything with your post. i am just saying on more than 1 occasion Spiller is mentioned as a potential top 10 pick, and truthfully i don't think anyone should even think of taking a shot at him until the 20s at the soonest.

Spiller has become a board favorite because of his speed and his instant value to the team for his return skills. While I don't agree with him at 11, I do understand he would upgrade things for us. I don't see any reason why him and Moreno couldn't work well as a duo. Williams and Stewart work well together. Spiller is just a luxury I don't think we need but it would be fun.

~Crash~
03-16-2010, 01:20 PM
No to Pouncey for Christ-sakes.

Why ? because we never worked him out ? this should be really good ...