PDA

View Full Version : the real news a lot of us have been waiting for

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Adam_Schefter
Of all the QBs now on Denver's roster, the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater.

Adam_Schefter
RT @steveely42 Hope you expand on the Brandstater point ... Have just heard enough to think he has a chance -- a real chance -- to make it.
11 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
to me, this means that schefter heard from within the organization that the team got a gem in brandstater. he is obviously a very smart person, who was working on his masters his final year of college. hes a bit older, but thats only a bad thing if it tkaes him 2-3 more years to develop, not a bad thing in that his maturity level is probably good.

hes got the physical tools to do everything on the field. quinn, well we didnt give much for him and hes a far, far better backup than simms, but i am wondering if we are really surprised by brandstater this year or next year.

oubronco
03-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Only time will tell

gyldenlove
03-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I have to say, doesn't surprise me much, of the 3 we have he is the most physically gifted and he didn't waste his formative years QB wise on a ****ty team. This is a guy who is learning the right way from good people.

Gort
03-15-2010, 10:59 AM
to me, this means that schefter heard from within the organization that the team got a gem in brandstater. he is obviously a very smart person, who was working on his masters his final year of college. hes a bit older, but thats only a bad thing if it tkaes him 2-3 more years to develop, not a bad thing in that his maturity level is probably good.

hes got the physical tools to do everything on the field. quinn, well we didnt give much for him and hes a far, far better backup than simms, but i am wondering if we are really surprised by brandstater this year or next year.

Quinn seems like a knucklehead to me. he's a QB. he should not be bulking up his body to look like the incredible hulk. the same thing holds with a pitcher in baseball. those positions require flexibility and athleticism, not brawn. he seems to have put vanity in front of competency at his position.

TheDave
03-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Trading for Quinn does not bode well for "Brandy"... If he really was the future, then the smart thing to do is let him battle Orton for the #1 job this year. Bringing in another potential #1 will only limit his reps in practice.

This isn't Schefter giving building up TB... It's a back hand at KO and BQ

TailgateNut
03-15-2010, 11:01 AM

That's not giving him the credit he deserves. Cutler is also a better backup than Simms.

The Joker
03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Mock would be a better backup than Simms, for crying out loud.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Trading for Quinn does not bode well for "Brandy"... If he really was the future, then the smart thing to do is let him battle Orton for the #1 job this year. Bringing in another potential #1 will only limit his reps in practice.

This isn't Schefter giving building up TB... It's a back hand at KO and BQ

read schefters quotes again, he didnt say that quinn and orton suck, he said brandstater has a real chance to make it in this league.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Quinn seems like a knucklehead to me. he's a QB. he should not be bulking up his body to look like the incredible hulk. the same thing holds with a pitcher in baseball. those positions require flexibility and athleticism, not brawn. he seems to have put vanity in front of competency at his position.

just because youre bigger doesnt mean you are less flexible or athletic. especially when you are only quinns size, and hes not that big.

Gort
03-15-2010, 11:08 AM
just because youre bigger doesnt mean you are less flexible or athletic. especially when you are only quinns size, and hes not that big.

it does actually adversely affect the throwing motion.

TonyR
03-15-2010, 11:09 AM

I was going to say the same thing. Donovan McNabb, for example, has really bulked up since he entered the league.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM

i really, really, really dont believe this, especially when you dont have gary valentino arms. its not like hes loading up with synthol every week, adding some size to your arms isnt going to negatively affect how you play the game.

TheDave
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
read schefters quotes again, he didnt say that quinn and orton suck, he said brandstater has a real chance to make it in this league.

"the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater."

I did... IMO that isn't support for TB it's a no confidence vote on the other 2

Gort
03-15-2010, 11:13 AM
i really, really, really dont believe this, especially when you dont have gary valentino arms. its not like hes loading up with synthol every week, adding some size to your arms isnt going to negatively affect how you play the game.

it affects the range of arm motion. especially bulking up your lats and such. i knew some guys who played football in college but who had been baseball players when they were younger, and a couple of them told me they couldn't throw a baseball as well or as hard after bulking up for football. my background was in baseball mostly, so i always knew that stretch and flexibility mattered more than strength when throwing, though it's not bad to have a naturally strong throwing arm. throwing a football has got to be impacted the same way.

PRBronco
03-15-2010, 11:15 AM

Did Daryl Hackney throw funny? He's probably the most muscle-bound qb i've ever seen.

mr007
03-15-2010, 11:21 AM
it affects the range of arm motion. especially bulking up your lats and such. i knew some guys who played football in college but who had been baseball players when they were younger, and a couple of them told me they couldn't throw a baseball as well or as hard after bulking up for football. my background was in baseball mostly, so i always knew that stretch and flexibility mattered more than strength when throwing, though it's not bad to have a naturally strong throwing arm. throwing a football has got to be impacted the same way.

Umm this is true only if you don't work on your flexibility.

Just because you bulk up, doesn't mean you have to stop stretching etc. There are plenty of people with bulk who are just as flexible and even more so with those that aren't.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Gort
03-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Umm this is true only if you don't work on your flexibility.

Just because you bulk up, doesn't mean you have to stop stretching etc. There are plenty of people with bulk who are just as flexible and even more so with those that aren't.

You don't know what you're talking about.

thanks professor a-hole. i'll be sure to clear all future posts with you in advance.

mr007
03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
thanks professor a-hole. i'll be sure to clear all future posts with you in advance.

I wasn't being an a-hole or suggesting that. You are saying bulk and amount of flexibility go hand in hand, which they do not.

LRtagger
03-15-2010, 11:27 AM

This makes no sense at all. Just because the guy is cut up doesn't mean he is less flexible or mobile. Quite the contrary, actually.

The guy is 6'4" 235lbs. Not exactly so bulky he cant wipe his own ass. He just looks bigger because he has a low body fat percentage.

Jay Cutler is 6'3" and 233, but he's a chub. Everybody had a boner for how mobile and athletic he was and he was practically the same size as Quinn except more fat and less muscle.

Donovan McNabb is 6'2" and 240. He's got lots of muscle, but is still one of the more athletic QBs in the league even at his age.

Baseball and pitchers are completely irrelevant.

mr007
03-15-2010, 11:27 AM

And to Tsiguy's point, he isn't overly bulky. He pretty much has a perfect body for an athlete to maintain optimal strength combined with flexibility.

jhns
03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
You all have been waiting for Shefter to tell you we keep trading for crap QBs? I thought that was obvious.

DBroncos4life
03-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Tom Brandstater will be 26 in October and Brady Quinn will be 26 in October. Quinn wasn't brought in to fight for the number two job. If Quinn plays up to his hype coming out of college, Brandstater will never see the field.

TheDave
03-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Tom Brandstater will be 26 in October and Brady Quinn will be 26 in October. Quinn wasn't brought in to fight for the number two job. If Quinn plays up to his hype coming out of college, Brandstater will never see the field.

"Brandy" couldn't pass Simms on the depth chart... If that doesn't tell us something about his future I don't know what does.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 11:35 AM

age is one thing working against him, but tahts the thing, quinn has played in the league and the team has seen what he can do. brandstater is still a mystery, he could be a total stud if given the time to play or develop. will be interesting to see how they work on quinn and brandstater will keeping orton as starter.

McBadass
03-15-2010, 11:38 AM
I just don't see it in Brandstater. Why couldn't he take over the number 2 spot from Simms last year if he really was something special?

Hercules Rockefeller
03-15-2010, 11:40 AM
"Brandy" couldn't pass Simms on the depth chart... If that doesn't tell us something about his future I don't know what does.

It tells you jack **** when a rookie 6th round pick comes in at QB and doesn't beat out a vet. But let's play MMQB and only look at what Simms did when he played in the regular season, completely forgetting that he played decently in preseason to the point that some thought he should be the starter.

Brandstater was never going to be the #2 last season.

jhns
03-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I just don't see it in Brandstater. Why couldn't he take over the number 2 spot from Simms last year if he really was something special?

He didn't say Branstater is something special. He used a relative term and said he has the best chance. Since this is probably to much for you to process, I will spell it out for you. We don't have a good QB on roster. The guy with a chance at being good is the guy that hasn't shown if he is good or bad yet. In other words, this isn't an endorsment of Branstater. It is a critisism of the other 3 QBs we have.

ColoradoDarin
03-15-2010, 11:43 AM

I thought it told us he was a rookie and a project coming out of college? Before Simms got into that Washington game, most everyone here thought he would be a good backup and possible starter. He might have looked good in practice (we talkin about practice?) too, but he sure crapped the bed in those 2 games.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 11:43 AM
It tells you jack **** when a rookie 6th round pick comes in at QB and doesn't beat out a vet. But let's play MMQB and only look at what Simms did when he played in the regular season, completely forgetting that he played decently in preseason to the point that some thought he should be the starter.

pretty much. the #2 QB is generally a veteran who has played in the league and if something happens to teh starter, should be able to go in and play solid football. simms did that in preseason btu sucked it up when he was needed most. this year, brandstater can make a real case for it if given a fair shot.

TheDave
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM

nor this season...

Just out of curiosity how many seasons does one spend at #3 before we assume that is their peak?

McBadass
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
He didn't say Branstater is something special. He used a relative term and said he has the best chance. Since this is probably to much for you to process, I will spell it out for you. We don't have a good QB on roster. The guy with a chance at being good is the guy that hasn't shown if he is good or bad yet.

Do you insult everyone in your life when you speak to them, or is that a special character trait reserved for posting on an online football board?

I disagree about Brandstater. Don't know why you take it so personally. calm yourself.

I think that when someone like Simms, who is just one injury away from being the starter, proves himself to be maybe the worst QB in the league, if you've got someone else with more potential and more upside, you put that guy in the second string role. Not sure why that's so complicated for you to understand.

If Brandstater was turning heads, he would have taken over the second string job from Simms, almost by default since Simms was so god-awful. That's my opinion.

Try not to hurt yourself running to insult me. I'd hate for you to pull a hammy.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
nor this season...

Just out of curiosity how many seasons does one spend at #3 before we assume that is their peak?

Whenever he's finally cut. I'm not saying the guy will ever amount to anything, just saying it's stupid to claim he never will be anything because he couldn't win a spot he was never in the running for.

bowtown
03-15-2010, 11:59 AM
nor this season...

jhns
03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I disagree about Brandstater. Don't know why you take it so personally. calm yourself.

It isn't personal. Just pointing out that you can't read. I personally think we don't have a good QB on roster. That includes Branstater. I am just pointing out that he is making fun of our QB situation as you guys are taking his comments literally. It is good comedy.

TheDave
03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Whenever he's finally cut. I'm not saying the guy will ever amount to anything, just saying it's stupid to claim he never will be anything because he couldn't win a spot he was never in the running for.

I'm just having a good time with the "Brandy Brigade" that roams these halls. Ever since that amazing pre-season game against AZ...

2 weeks later we played a QB with a dislocated finger on his throwing hand. Then when he severly screwed up his ankle we played a someone who was sooooooo pathetic that the guy on crutches had to re enter the game.

Then as soon as the offseason rolls around we trade for another QB.

None of these moves bode well for TB...

Arkie
03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Chris Simms had a good QB rating before his injury, and he was a winner. He's been horrible since then.

McBadass
03-15-2010, 12:05 PM
It isn't personal. Just pointing out that you can't read. I personally think we don't have a good QB on roster. That includes Branstater. I am just pointing out that he is making fun of our QB situation as you guys are taking his comments literally. It is good comedy.

It's clearly personal, but have it your way. you'd rather be a douche and try to be king dick on the board than have a real life discussion. That's your business.

I'd rather discuss what he actually said, not whether or not I think he was joking. And in my opinion, Brandstater isn't anything to get excited about.

bowtown
03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm just having a good time with the "Brandy Brigade" that roams these halls. Ever since that amazing pre-season game against AZ...

2 weeks later we played a QB with a dislocated finger on his throwing hand. Then when he severly screwed up his ankle we played a someone who was sooooooo pathetic that the guy on crutches had to re enter the game.

Smoke and mirrors... we will also draft a QB with our first pick and TB won't play a single snap in preseason. But with 1 hour before regular season kickoff, a surprise anouncement will be made and the man leading the charge out of the tunnel and on to a record setting carrer in Dever will be none other than T$ Brandstater!

Man-Goblin
03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Tom B will destroy worlds.

TheDave
03-15-2010, 12:07 PM
It's clearly personal, but have it your way. you'd rather be a douche and try to be king dick on the board than have a real life discussion. That's your business.

I'd rather discuss what he actually said, not whether or not I think he was joking. And in my opinion, Brandstater isn't anything to get excited about.

Careful boss... you might upset his fan club (most of them post here) ;D

jhns
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM

This from the guy that throws inults for his first few posts on this board. Like I said, your stupidity is good comedy. Take it personally if you want but I think it is a compliment when people tell me I am funny.

Chief Macho
03-15-2010, 12:10 PM

I disagree. I expect to be watching Tom Bradstater throw tds to Darius Watts and Adrian Madise somtime this October.

McBadass
03-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Careful boss... you might upset his fan club (most of them post here) ;D

Noted. Thank you.

I actually liked him in that preseason game against Arizona, and for a little bit it looked like he might be the default starter. That scared the **** out of me.

I don't think he's shown anything that would make him even in the discussion for the starting job in '10.

Sorry in advance for pissing off everyone who thinks this Tom B.
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0628/1447/tom_brandstater_feature.jpg

is the same as this Tom B.
http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/TomBrady%20010708.jpg

McBadass
03-15-2010, 12:12 PM
This from the guy that throws inults for his first few posts on this board. Like I said, your stupidity is good comedy. Take it personally if you want but I think it is a compliment when people tell me I am funny.

By asking if there was an ignore feature because in that particular thread all you did was insult people?

Man, you are certainly sensitive.

Do you also take it as a compliment when someone tells you you don't know how to read?

cabronco
03-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I would love to see T. Brandstater work his way up to be the #1 guy. He's a very tall Qb that can see the field well, has a decent arm, probably better than Orton, or Quinn, he's mobile for a big guy. Its a matter of how well he's picked up the system and if McD has confidence that he's the guy now. I dont think its the case right now, but after another season of training camp, who knows. But McD has had a crush on Quinn since he's been the Broncos coach, and he's traded for Quinn for a reason.

McBadass
03-15-2010, 12:17 PM
I would love to see T. Brandstater work his way up to be the #1 guy. He's a very tall Qb that can see the field well, has a decent arm, probably better than Orton, or Quinn, he's mobile for a big guy. Its a matter of how well he's picked up the system and if McD has confidence that he's the guy now. I dont think its the case right now, but after another season of training camp, who knows. But McD has had a crush on Quinn since he's been the Broncos coach, and he's traded for Quinn for a reason.

Me too. I'd love to see it. I don't see it now, but stranger things have happened. I just don't think he'll be in the discussion for '10.

Rugby7
03-15-2010, 12:17 PM

I would describe an a-hole is someone who has so little class that he would display a picture of the president picking his nose.

BroncoMan4ever
03-15-2010, 12:20 PM
i think Schefter is a great reporter and incredible at breaking the news, but i would bet my left nut that Brandstater is not a long term answer for us or any other team in the league.

Rabb
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
By asking if there was an ignore feature because in that particular thread all you did was insult people?

Do you also take it as a compliment when someone tells you you don't know how to read?

#1 stop quoting him please for those of us smart enough to have him on iggy (add broncofan7 to that list, trust me)

#2 welcome to the Mane

McBadass
03-15-2010, 12:23 PM
#1 stop quoting him please for those of us smart enough to have him on iggy (add broncofan7 to that list, trust me)

#2 welcome to the Mane

Thanks for the tip and welcome. Can someone tell me where to add someone to an ignore list? jhns is a prime candidate, and I've heard enough about broncofan7 to know I'm probably not interested in his takes either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

jhns
03-15-2010, 12:24 PM

The ignore feature was not your only comment in that thread. The fact that you have to ask again shows you can't read. It isn't something that is complicated. That should be especially true for a forum vet such as yourself. Obviously, you still haven't figured out how to use it.

As for your last question. Of course I do. Who doesn't take pride in a lack of literacy?

TailgateNut
03-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the tip and welcome. Can someone tell me where to add someone to an ignore list? jhns is a prime candidate, and I've heard enough about broncofan7 to know I'm probably not interested in his takes either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Click on your UserCP at the top of the page.

Rabb
03-15-2010, 12:25 PM
click on UserCP and then on the left you will see ignore list, just add their names there

it will make your time here much better, they add nothing of value to the place and honestly, I have no idea why they come other than to stir the pot

WolfpackGuy
03-15-2010, 12:30 PM
It does seem Schefter pulled that comment out of thin air.

It would've been interesting to see how things would've played out had Orton not been named starter so early last year. Simms looked horrible, but he couldn't have gotten that many first team reps because Orton was learning the offense himself.

tsiguy96
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
i get hte impression he was told those comments, didnt just make them up himself. who would have told him that stuff besides someone who has been working with him or around him?

Dagmar
03-15-2010, 12:41 PM
i get hte impression he was told those comments, didnt just make them up himself. who would have told him that stuff besides someone who has been working with him or around him?

I still can't fathom who though. Right after the trade a Broncos employee whispers to Schefter that Tom B is the best prospect? Doesn't make much sense.

colonelbeef
03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Adam_Schefter
Of all the QBs now on Denver's roster, the one that might have the best chance of being a long-term answer is QB Tom Brandstater.

Adam_Schefter
RT @steveely42 Hope you expand on the Brandstater point ... Have just heard enough to think he has a chance -- a real chance -- to make it.
11 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet

That's a real nice way of saying all of the QBs in Denver are mediocre to suck

Pseudofool
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
The intellectual (if you can call it that) posturing on this board is something else. No one is in any kind of position to state how far Brandy has advanced during his rookie season, much less what kind of QB he is going to make. Given the physicality is there for Brandy, we really need to see how quickly he learns and how well he's taking to Mcd's coaching, before we get married to an opinion of the guy. Maybe wait for training camp, say, before browbeating each other with (what seems to me) ideological opinions.

Garcia Bronco
03-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Interesting point of view.

Hamrob
03-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Schefter is a Shanahan guy! This was in all liklihood a swipe at McDaniels for collecting a less than average set of QB's.

Personally, I like the Quinn signing. I think he has more potential than does Orton. We don't know enough about Brandstrater yet.