PDA

View Full Version : The First Poll: Who is the Broncos starting QB in 2010?

montrose
03-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Poll coming.

Pontius Pirate
03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Jake Plummer

HEAV
03-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Kyle...but if he (or agent) plays it dumb with a holdout...

Hercules Rockefeller
03-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Unless he gets hurt or ****s the bed, it's going to be Orton

illbroncsfn
03-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Orton will be the starter on opening day.

s0phr0syne
03-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't understand what the point of this poll is. Very surprised that montrose made it.

TheDave
03-14-2010, 05:02 PM
At this point Orton... but it wouldn't surprise me if Quinn makes a push.

bloodsunday
03-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I voted Orton. He's got a year on Quinn. Plus, gauging but what they gave up (John Clayton called it "cheap"), Denver isn't putting much stock in this move.

But, one thing that is worth considering: What if, based on his RFA status, Orton sits out all of the OTAs and doesn't report until camp? That means Quinn would likely be the "starter" all spring and early summer. I still think Orton is the favorite under that scenario, but it could close the gap if Quinn gets it going.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-14-2010, 05:06 PM
But, one thing that is worth considering: What if, based on his RFA status, Orton sits out all of the OTAs and doesn't report until camp? That means Quinn would likely be the "starter" all spring and early summer. I still think Orton is the favorite under that scenario, but it could close the gap if Quinn gets it going.

Orton would be stupid after this move to not report for OTAs, he wasn't going to get beaten out by Simms or Brandstater, but Quinn was brought in to push him for his job. Giving BQ almost 4 months of exclusive work with the WRs, lineman, backs, etc. doesn't help KO solidify himself as a long-term starter here (which is what his goal should be).

ludo21
03-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Quinn easily imo.

FireFly
03-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Orton - but only if he's in camp.

And I think that getting Quinn is going to make it easier to sign Orton.

s0phr0syne
03-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Orton isn't the kind of dude to cause any problems with contract stuff, IMO. I mean, you never know what an agent can get a player to do, but I don't get that from Orton at all. Until further notice, I don't buy any of this "Orton frustrated" BS. He'll be earning plenty on a 1st round tender and he knows that he hasn't really earned much beyond that, YET.

tsiguy96
03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
SI_JimTrotter
spoke to kyle orton earlier 2day about being an RFA in an uncapped yr. He wasn't happy. Hv 2 believe he's even more upset aft trade 4 quinn

Gcver2ver3
03-14-2010, 06:27 PM
at this point you have to say Orton...

but i like that Orton has more competition...

tsiguy96
03-14-2010, 06:28 PM
SI_JimTrotter
Follow Lists

orton before the trade: "this is going to be my fourth year as a starter and I've never been the highest-paid qb on my team."

strafen
03-14-2010, 06:31 PM
SI_JimTrotter
Follow Lists

orton before the trade: "this is going to be my fourth year as a starter and I've never been the highest-paid qb on my team."Because McDaniels is a sucker!

extralife
03-14-2010, 06:35 PM
ouch, I do kinda feel for 'ol neckbeard there.

elsid13
03-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Quinn is going to be giving every opportunity to win the job. Be ready for the roll coaster this going to bring.

lostknight
03-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Orton got screwed by this. No if, ands or buts.

I will be very curious to see what happens. If Orton holds out and skips practices, he hands the offense and a opportunity to other quarterbacks - not just Quinn but Brandstater as well.

s0phr0syne
03-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Per his tender, he will be the highest paid QB on the team. He won't have the guaranteed money that comes with a new deal, but if I understand the tenders correctly, it is guaranteed for the season.

Ramathorn
03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
jay cutler. Wait, where am I?

Arkansas Bronco
03-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Im sticking with my poll #2 answer and say wait and see. I want to see what the new kid can do here before casting any vote.

bombay
03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Me. Gotta be me.

Look how scary I am.

SoCalBronco
03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Orton got screwed by this. No if, ands or buts.

I will be very curious to see what happens. If Orton holds out and skips practices, he hands the offense and a opportunity to other quarterbacks - not just Quinn but Brandstater as well.

I don't think he got screwed by it. Orton has alot of flaws and they want some competition. It's not like he's built up alot of capital over time and is entitled to anything. They are just going to compete. Neither of them are that good, so it's not like Orton has no chance of winning the job. He has a very good chance just as Quinn does. It comes down to who is the least mediocre.

strafen
03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't think he got screwed by it. Orton has alot of flaws and they want some competition. It's not like he's built up alot of capital over time and is entitled to anything. They are just going to compete. Neither of them are that good, so it's not like Orton has no chance of winning the job. He has a very good chance just as Quinn does. It comes down to who is the least mediocre.That's hilarious :thumbsup:

theAPAOps5
03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Orton needs to show up play football and let the chips fall. If he makes a leap in the second year he will get rewarded. But at this point there are too many question marks.

As for the being upset about being a RFA in an uncapped year he needs to look around at the rest of the league. FAR more talented players are in the same boat. Its the nature of the times in the NFL.

Aftermath
03-14-2010, 07:05 PM
quinn, i cant handle having orton as my teams starting qb

lostknight
03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I love how the Orton defenders during the season, are now insisting that he actually, gasp, have to play for his job.

Tombstone RJ
03-14-2010, 07:08 PM
I feel bad for Orton but it's not the Broncos' fault he's in a sucky contract situation. He's had 4 years to establish himself as a ligitimate franchise QB and he hasn't done it. As much as I like Orton, he can't complain about not getting a chance. He's gotten his chance and the Broncos are 8-8. Now, sure this was his first year in McDs system and the Broncos didn't have much of a run game, but he still had opportunities to win games with guys like Bmarsh...

McD will give him another chance to win the starting QB spot. But if he bumble pink puppy bellis his way through training camp and doesn't establish himself right away as the clear starter on the team, it's his own fault. It'd be nice for the Broncos not to have a QB controversy in 2010-11. Its on Orton to produce. McD is bringing in competition but it's not like Quinn is anything special. Quinn is simply a QB McD thinks has some potential. McD might be right, he might be wrong. It's up to Orton to prove to McD that McD was wrong about Quinn. Orton has to show McD and the rest of the Broncos he's the man.

extralife
03-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't think Quinn has much of a chance to start this year. He's insurance this year, and he'll get a hard look after the season is over to see if he's a guy they want to commit to.

theAPAOps5
03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
I love how the Orton defenders during the season, are now insisting that he actually, gasp, have to play for his job.

Well unless you have a long term contract and are considered the Franchise then EVERY year you play for your job.

Its possible to defend Orton AND expect him to earn his role permanently. Not really that outlandish.

baja
03-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't think he got screwed by it. Orton has alot of flaws and they want some competition. It's not like he's built up alot of capital over time and is entitled to anything. They are just going to compete. Neither of them are that good, so it's not like Orton has no chance of winning the job. He has a very good chance just as Quinn does. It comes down to who is the least mediocre.

Now if you'd just apply that logic to Jay Cutler all would be well. ;D

SoCalBronco
03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Now if you'd just apply that logic to Jay Cutler all would be well. ;D

Why would I apply that logic to him? He built up the capital over time that Orton did not and was coming off a Pro Bowl year.

Florida_Bronco
03-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Unless he gets hurt or ****s the bed, it's going to be Orton

My thoughts exactly. He'll let Quinn ride the bench for a year and then in 2011 we'll have a balls to the wall competition for the QB spot.

SoCalBronco
03-14-2010, 07:21 PM
My thoughts exactly. He'll let Quinn ride the bench for a year and then in 2011 we'll have a balls to the wall competition for the QB spot.

Hopefully, in 2011, we'll have Jake Locker on the roster so we won't have to be bound by the results of a competition between two relatively mediocre players.

theAPAOps5
03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Why would I apply that logic to him? He built up the capital over time that Orton did not and was coming off a Pro Bowl year.

HUH? First lets try to limit the impending Cutler war :~ohyah!::giggle:. But a true measure of a coach, QB, and a team is wins and losses. Cutler had no more capital than Orton and vice versa. As for the Pro Bowl, lets not kid ourselves. Its a popularity contest based on highlight reels and flashes of greatness.

Florida_Bronco
03-14-2010, 07:36 PM

He built up a lot of douche capital.

Hopefully, in 2011, we'll have Jake Locker on the roster so we won't have to be bound by the results of a competition between two relatively mediocre players.

Mediocre? Orton just had a career year (outperforming Cutler in Chicago) and Quinn was a first round pick with very good skills and talent.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-14-2010, 07:56 PM

Yes, let us all root for the 1st overall next year so the Broncos can draft Locker.

SoCalBronco
03-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Yes, let us all root for the 1st overall next year so the Broncos can draft Locker.

Yes...because the FO has not shown that they like trading or anything...

broncofan7
03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
KO will be our starter barring injury or Al Davis thinking he is sticking it to the Broncos by signing KO to an offer sheet. (not even he is that demented)---his experience in this system(Quinn has some from college)and familiarity with his teammates gives him the edge......getting Quinn for Hillis and low round picks is a great deal for our Broncos but KO will be our starter. Smart, tactical off season for far for McD and the colonel......

broncofan7
03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Yes...because the FO has not shown that they like trading or anything...

only if they find a 5'7" CB they like........

BlaK-Argentina
03-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Orton. Next year, if Orton doesn't improve too much and Quinn does, I can see Quinn getting the job.

peacepipe
03-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I feel bad for Orton but it's not the Broncos' fault he's in a sucky contract situation. He's had 4 years to establish himself as a ligitimate franchise QB and he hasn't done it. As much as I like Orton, he can't complain about not getting a chance. He's gotten his chance and the Broncos are 8-8. Now, sure this was his first year in McDs system and the Broncos didn't have much of a run game, but he still had opportunities to win games with guys like Bmarsh...

McD will give him another chance to win the starting QB spot. But if he bumble pink puppy bellis his way through training camp and doesn't establish himself right away as the clear starter on the team, it's his own fault. It'd be nice for the Broncos not to have a QB controversy in 2010-11. Its on Orton to produce. McD is bringing in competition but it's not like Quinn is anything special. Quinn is simply a QB McD thinks has some potential. McD might be right, he might be wrong. It's up to Orton to prove to McD that McD was wrong about Quinn. Orton has to show McD and the rest of the Broncos he's the man.for once we're in agreement but I hope McD isn't really thinking that either one is our future. Niether one has been able to prove anything other than that they are good back ups.

TonyR
03-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Klis: Orton will still be the starter in Denver
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2010 8:44 PM ET

With former first-round pick Brady Quinn now shipped from Cleveland to Denver, there's a question as to whether Quinn or Kyle Orton will be the starting quarterback for the Broncos.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the new guy won't supplant the holdover; per Klis, Orton will start.

Though Orton's status could change, the decision makes sense, for a couple of reasons. First, Orton is a restricted free agent, tendered at the first-round level. His base salary is $2.62 million, nearly four times greater than Quinn's $700,000 compensation.

Then there's the fact that Quinn will unlock $5.9 million in 2011 escalators if he takes 70 percent or more of the snaps on offense this season. By making him the backup, the Broncos are guaranteed to get two seasons out of him at a total payout of a paltry, relatively speaking, $1.4 million.

For the Browns, the move closes the books on one of the worst recent trades since the Cowboys pillaged the Vikings in exchange for Herschel Walker more than 20 years ago. Cleveland gave up a high second-round pick in 2007 and a first-round pick in 2008 for the ability to pick Quinn. To the extent that anyone is still interested in trading for Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, that price tag should be kept in mind.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/14/klis-orton-will-still-be-the-starter-in-denver/

TonyR
03-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Broncos get Quinn on the cheap
By Mike Klis
Providing Kyle Orton takes at least 31 percent of the snaps as the Broncos’ quarterback in 2010, Denver would only have to pay newly acquired quarterback Brady Quinn a $700,000 salary this year and $700,000 in 2012.

Quinn does have a one-time, $5.9 million escalator bonus that would automatically trigger if he takes 70 percent of the snaps in 2010. Quinn never hit the one-time escalator in his first three seasons, when he collected $7.8 million of the five-year, $9.2 million he received as the Browns’ second, first-round draft choice, No. 22 overall, in 2007.

An NFL source said Orton would be the Broncos’ starting quarterback in 2010. Brady has only started 12 games through his first three NFL seasons and is coming off a season-ending foot injury. While contracts rarely are factored in to picking a winner in a competition at the pivotal position of quarterback, it may help Orton break a tie.

The trade for Quinn _ which sent running back Peyton Hillis, a sixth-round draft choice in 2011 and a conditional draft choice in 2012 _ won’t become official until Quinn passes a physical Monday morning at the Broncos’ headquarters.

The Broncos will simultaneously begin their voluntary offseason conditioning program. Orton won’t be there to welcome his new quarterback mate. Orton is in Hawaii attending the annual NFL Players Association meetings.

The addition of Quinn does figure to affect the status of veteran backup Chris Simms, and possibly Tom Brandstater, who did not play as a rookie last season.

Orton, a five-year player who lost his leverage as a unrestricted free agent this year because of the new uncapped system for the 2010 season, was tendered a a one-year, $2.621 million contract as a restricted free agent earlier this month.

He has voiced his frustrations at getting pigeonholed as a restricted free agent and it’s unclear whether Orton will attend the offseason conditioning program once the players union meetings conclude. Perhaps, the acquisition of Quinn will push Orton into attending the Broncos’ offseason program sooner rather than later.

There is also the possibility of another quarterback-starved team who could sign Orton to an offer sheet, knowing it would have to submit a deal lucrative enough to prevent the Broncos from matching, and then surrender a first-round draft pick to the Broncos if they decide against matching.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/14/broncos-get-quinn-on-the-cheap/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post:+Sports:+Broncos:+Blog%29

Paladin
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
This message is hidden because dragster69 is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

strafen
03-14-2010, 08:47 PM
This message is hidden because dragster69 is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

This message is NOT hidden because Paladin is such little whining b****...

Paladin
03-14-2010, 08:49 PM
What QB starved team?

theAPAOps5
03-14-2010, 10:00 PM
The worse thing Orton can do is not show up. Of all the positions the QB is the focal point in McD's offense. If he shows up he essentially concedes the starting position.

But with the escalator that Quinn is due maybe trying to force the teams hand could work for Orton. In the end I just don't see Orton doing anything other than what is in the best interest of his team, he is that kind of guy.

Sucks to be the players at the end of their contracts with what is on the horizon.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">