View Full Version : Ken Dyer dies

03-14-2010, 01:17 PM

en Dyer, whose NFL career ended when he broke his neck while trying to tackle Green Bay Packers running back John Brockington, has died.

Additional information
(Links will open in a new window)
♦ Sign up for Green Bay Packers text alerts.

Dyer, 63, died of heart failure on March 7 in Gilbert, Ariz.

A defensive back for the Cincinnati Bengals, the 25-year-old Dyer was almost completely paralyzed when his head hit Brockington’s knee during a 20-17 loss to the Packers at Lambeau Field on Oct. 3, 1971. He was diagnosed with a contusion of the spinal cord at the neck.

Bengals president Mike Brown described the collision this way on the team’s Web site: “Brockington got through and his knee came up and met Ken’s helmet. And it was bad because Ken’s head was going down toward the ground. He didn’t move. He never got up.”

Bengals cornerback Ken Riley, who later became an assistant coach for the Packers, described it this way on Bengals.com.

“I was on the right corner when it happened. John Brockington, out of Ohio State. He had tremendous knee action. Really got them up high. Kenny ducked his head and he couldn’t get up. It’s something you never forget.”

The 6-foot-3 Dyer spent almost four months in a Green Bay hospital and lost 50 pounds from his playing weight of 190 during that time. But when he left St. Mary’s Hospital in January 1972, he was walking and wore a neck brace. He received therapy while in Green Bay, but was left with permanent disabilities.

When he left the hospital, Dyer referred to Green Bay as a second home and called it “tremendous.” He also put an ad in the newspaper to thank the people of Green Bay.

“We were thrilled when we heard later that he had regained use of his arms and that he could walk,” Riley said of Dyer. “He was a private person, but very proud. He went on with his life and that’s how he played. He went out and just did his job.”

After returning home to Arizona, Dyer worked in sales, then ran a dry-cleaning business until retiring a couple of years ago.

“He never wanted anything from anybody,” Dyer’s oldest son, Scott, told Bengals.com. “He never really pursued getting anything from the NFL. He just went to work. And it was hard. Something that would take you or I 10 minutes to do would take him 25. He could walk and he could move, but he was never 100 percent.”

Dyer is survived by three sons, a daughter, six grandchildren and other family members.

Pontius Pirate
03-14-2010, 02:40 PM

03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
It sounds like he went on and made the most of his life even with his disabilities.