PDA

View Full Version : Four years from now

TheReverend
03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
There will have been a higher volume of impact players selected in the second round of this coming draft than the first.

Mark it down and trade the F down.

Doggcow
03-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Every year, everyone wants to trade down. The problem isn't trading down, it's finding someone that wants to make a deal.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2010, 10:26 AM
There will have been a higher volume of impact players selected in the second round of this coming draft than the first.

That's what I'm thinking. Especially for the Broncs. 11 doesn't seem like a good position for this draft.

Mediator12
03-14-2010, 12:16 PM

This is the first year I agree with this Philosophy. The second and third tiers of this draft are extremely deep with starters if not impact players. Outside of The two DT's, the top tier is pretty risky.

As for Impact Players, it all depends who drafts them and what they can do there.

UberBroncoMan
03-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Still pissed about Alphonso Smith.

Mediator12
03-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Still pissed about Alphonso Smith.

Dude, its just time to let it go. I think we all see the opportunity cost of that decision in hindsight. I hope we can just deal with what we can instead of all the what if's this place loves to embrace.

BroncoMan4ever
03-14-2010, 12:41 PM
That's what I'm thinking. Especially for the Broncs. 11 doesn't seem like a good position for this draft.

11 is a terrible spot for the Broncos this season.

at 11, the DL that would be great assets will be gone, the next best DL has a grade of late teens to early 20s, the 2 best QBs will be gone and the next best would be a major reach before the middle of the 2nd round, it is way too soon to draft Iupati, who regardless of being the best prospect at his position of probably the last 5 years at least, shouldn't be drafted until late teens early 20s.

and sadly trading back won't be easy because outside of a team wanting to jump up to get Dez Bryant, there really isn't going to be any player that a team would think they needed to move up to get.

we are going to end up either taking a guy a little too early, or drafting the BPA, which doesn't necessarily help the team if that player plays a position where we aren't exactly weak

ayjackson
03-14-2010, 12:49 PM

at 11, the DL that would be great assets will be gone, the next best DL has a grade of late teens to early 20s, the 2 best QBs will be gone and the next best would be a major reach before the middle of the 2nd round, it is way too soon to draft Iupati, who regardless of being the best prospect at his position of probably the last 5 years at least, shouldn't be drafted until late teens early 20s.

and sadly trading back won't be easy because outside of a team wanting to jump up to get Dez Bryant, there really isn't going to be any player that a team would think they needed to move up to get.

we are going to end up either taking a guy a little too early, or drafting the BPA, which doesn't necessarily help the team if that player plays a position where we aren't exactly weak

I agree. I see Spiller as the best choice at #11, and as much as that excites me, I think we'd be better served trading down and adressing areas of greater need.

I guess Bryant is an option if he isn't a bad boy.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Every year, everyone wants to trade down. The problem isn't trading down, it's finding someone that wants to make a deal.

Oh, there will be deals available for 11, absolutely.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2010, 01:35 PM

I really doubt that. I think there's always a team that wants to deal for 11. Someone is gonna fall that somebody wants.

mattob14
03-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I really doubt that. I think there's always a team that wants to deal for 11. Someone is gonna fall that somebody wants.

I agree. This is another strong OT class, and I think we'll see one of the top-4 (probably Williams or Davis) available at #11. There are a number of teams who could use OL help and may want to get in front of SF at #13.

SoDak Bronco
03-14-2010, 02:50 PM
i'm pissed about marcus nash and jarvis moss but those guys are still there..get over it.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
If we do stay at 11, I'm still all for Iupati (i think he's a sure thing), Dan Williams (really like his potential at NT and end, and even if one of the OT's dropped (Bulaga especially). I wouldnt mind taking Bulaga and letting an injury prone Ryan Harris walk next season.

FireFly
03-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Every year people want to trade down -esp. on this forum.

As previosuly stated though, finding a trading partner who wants to come UP as is willing to pay for it is usually very difficult because the value isn't really there -esp. this year imo

Dukes
03-15-2010, 08:57 PM
If I had a choice this year, I would certainly trade down. Preferrably to the early to mid 20's. Lets hope it happens.

NFLBRONCO
03-16-2010, 12:09 AM
If the 1st round talent is as good as they say I doubt teams will want to trade up they won't have too.

BroncoMan4ever
03-16-2010, 01:39 AM

no doubt someone being mocked as top 10 will fall out of the top 10, but any that do fall out of the top 10 aren't going to be guys that a team drafting in the 20s have fits over and decide we need to go get that guy now.

figure the cream of the crop in the top 10 are Suh, McCoy, Berry, Bradford, and Clausen. these are the guys that teams would flip for if they fell out of the top 10 and would make deals to get, but the rest of the top 10 isn't filled with guys like that. so short of one of Suh, McCoy, Berry, Bradford or Clausen falling out of the top 10, i don't see any player that a team drafting after us, would feel the need to trade up and acquire our number 11 pick.

oubronco
03-16-2010, 08:14 AM
If I had a choice this year, I would certainly trade down. Preferrably to the early to mid 20's. Lets hope it happens.

If I had the choice I'd like to do naughty things to the girl in your avy

TheReverend
03-16-2010, 09:51 AM
This is the first year I agree with this Philosophy. The second and third tiers of this draft are extremely deep with starters if not impact players. Outside of The two DT's, the top tier is pretty risky.

As for Impact Players, it all depends who drafts them and what they can do there.

Same. By personal philosophy I'm a trade up and grab 1-2 gamebreaking playmakers and use FA for depth.

That being said, this year I think the majority of those guys are waiting from the end of the first to midway into the third round to rain hell on every team that passed them up.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Suh will have his 4th straight 20 plus sack season. :strong:

TheReverend
03-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Over

Rated

TheReverend
03-16-2010, 11:43 AM

And what?

2009 was the first time he broke 10 sacks and he sure didn't crack 20...

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Over

Rated

Right. I don't see him having 20 sack season's but I see him doing everything Warren Sapp did and more. The best part about Suh is he understands that he is good but he doesn't shy away from doing the things other top players dodge.

TheReverend
03-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Right. I don't see him having 20 sack season's but I see him doing everything Warren Sapp did and more. The best part about Suh is he understands that he is good but he doesn't shy away from doing the things other top players dodge.

He seems to have the work ethic and definitely has the measurables to be a dominant 3 technique, but this ain't the big 12 and he's done absolutely nothing to warrant a comparison to the greatest DL since Reggie White, so I implore you to take that back immediately sir.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
He seems to have the work ethic and definitely has the measurables to be a dominant 3 technique, but this ain't the big 12 and he's done absolutely nothing to warrant a comparison to the greatest DL since Reggie White, so I implore you to take that back immediately sir.

It isn't just B12 coaches that are saying he is the best DT they have seen in the last 20 or so years.

As for you're this was the first year he broke 10 sacks, he has improved each year and it is almost unheard of for a DT to get double digit sacks. Sapp and Pryce are the only two that I can remember recently to do that multiple times. Suh has that ability to do just that like them. Edit Rod Coleman did it in 2004, 2005. Kevin Williams did it in 2003, 2004 Sapp was the last DT to get 10 sacks in 06.

TheReverend
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
It isn't just B12 coaches that are saying he is the best DT they have seen in the last 20 or so years.

As for you're this was the first year he broke 10 sacks, he has improved each year and it is almost unheard of for a DT to get double digit sacks. Sapp and Pryce are the only two that I can remember recently to do that multiple times. Suh has that ability to do just that like them. Edit Rod Coleman did it in 2004, 2005. Kevin Williams did it in 2003, 2004 Sapp was the last DT to get 10 sacks in 06.

It's very scheme and supporting cast indicative, yes. Comparing professional 10 sack seasons to one big 12 10 sack season is outright absurd.

As for what the big 12 coaches are saying... don't coaches say the same thing about someone every year? What did Saban and the other SEC coaches have to say about Dorsey coming out?

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 12:29 PM
It's very scheme and supporting cast indicative, yes. Comparing professional 10 sack seasons to one big 12 10 sack season is outright absurd.

As for what the big 12 coaches are saying... don't coaches say the same thing about someone every year? What did Saban and the other SEC coaches have to say about Dorsey coming out?

You're right man. 90% of scouts, coaches, wanna be scouts/coaches think he is the best DT to come out in years but you are right. You see right past the hype and get right to the root of the issue. He played in the B12 and not the SEC.

TheReverend
03-16-2010, 03:08 PM
You're right man. 90% of scouts, coaches, wanna be scouts/coaches think he is the best DT to come out in years but you are right. You see right past the hype and get right to the root of the issue. He played in the B12 and not the SEC.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

What I'm saying is he has a good chance. He's a hard worker with all the measurables and an outstanding collegiate career.

That being said, he absolutely IS over-rated. People, yourself included, are talking him up like he's Reggie White incarnate.

Does he have the ability? Absolutely. Ability will get you a great first pay check in the NFL (for one more year), but performance is what brings on the 2nd contract... the EARNED contract.

Point blank, he plays a position that isn't just about ability or work ethic. It's 90% raw aggression. What's he going to do the first time a Jahri Evans plants him straight on his ass in pass pro? What's he gonna do the first time a Faneca pancakes him on a 20 dive?

Let's play make believe for a second and say Denver swaps firsts with TB for Marshall and we have a clear shot at Suh.

I'd bring him in for a work out. Grab Clady and tell him "Kick his ****ing ass". Suh's reaction is what will tell if he's worth that pick.

And I'm sorry, but a great vertical jump and bench press don't show anything other than a good gym priority mind-set. Tony Mandarich says hi.

I like Suh. I hope he proves that fire against top comp and goes straight to Canton. At the moment, he's not even the best DT in this draft class. So the hype and the Sapp comparisons really do need to chill. That's all.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 03:46 PM
That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

What I'm saying is he has a good chance. He's a hard worker with all the measurables and an outstanding collegiate career.

That being said, he absolutely IS over-rated. People, yourself included, are talking him up like he's Reggie White incarnate.

Does he have the ability? Absolutely. Ability will get you a great first pay check in the NFL (for one more year), but performance is what brings on the 2nd contract... the EARNED contract.

Point blank, he plays a position that isn't just about ability or work ethic. It's 90% raw aggression. What's he going to do the first time a Jahri Evans plants him straight on his ass in pass pro? What's he gonna do the first time a Faneca pancakes him on a 20 dive?

Let's play make believe for a second and say Denver swaps firsts with TB for Marshall and we have a clear shot at Suh.

I'd bring him in for a work out. Grab Clady and tell him "Kick his ****ing ass". Suh's reaction is what will tell if he's worth that pick.

And I'm sorry, but a great vertical jump and bench press don't show anything other than a good gym priority mind-set. Tony Mandarich says hi.

I like Suh. I hope he proves that fire against top comp and goes straight to Canton. At the moment, he's not even the best DT in this draft class. So the hype and the Sapp comparisons really do need to chill. That's all.
Who is better?

Mediator12
03-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Who is better?

More than a few people I have talked to still believe McCoy is the best DT in this class depending on how you grade. The way I grade they both are the two best DT's to come out since 2001. That may have been the Best DT class ever. They had Seymour, Stroud, Jenkins, Rogers, and Hampton. Plus, Gerrard Warren wasa top 5 pick for CLE. That is how deep this DT class is.

However, Suh and McCoy are the two best rated DT's I have ever graded to come out in the same year, even with those guys in 2001. I have McCoy 5 Hundredths better on my list, but that is seriously a you pick'em based on scheme difference in evaluation.

DBroncos4life
03-16-2010, 05:55 PM
More than a few people I have talked to still believe McCoy is the best DT in this class depending on how you grade. The way I grade they both are the two best DT's to come out since 2001. That may have been the Best DT class ever. They had Seymour, Stroud, Jenkins, Rogers, and Hampton. Plus, Gerrard Warren wasa top 5 pick for CLE. That is how deep this DT class is.

However, Suh and McCoy are the two best rated DT's I have ever graded to come out in the same year, even with those guys in 2001. I have McCoy 5 Hundredths better on my list, but that is seriously a you pick'em based on scheme difference in evaluation.

Oh don't doubt that McCoy can be good. I just find it interesting to see people down play how dominate Suh's was vs B12 teams when in fact McCoy himself never dominated the way Suh did vs the same programs Suh faced. The fact is hundreds of sports writers, scouts, coaches, draft experts and so on and so on, have all went on to say that Suh is the most dominate player they have seen on the D-line in a number of years. It's not just people that follow the B12 either. His Heisman invite is proof of that. Rev is going against countless experts in making a claim that Suh is over-rated. I mean no disrespect to you at all but after watching Suh and watching McCoy play and looking at their stats I think it's more likely that McCoy is over-rated.

That said neither OU and NU has had much luck over the last few years with their respect "stars" living up to the hype.

Mediator12
03-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh don't doubt that McCoy can be good. I just find it interesting to see people down play how dominate Suh's was vs B12 teams when in fact McCoy himself never dominated the way Suh did vs the same programs Suh faced. The fact is hundreds of sports writers, scouts, coaches, draft experts and so on and so on, have all went on to say that Suh is the most dominate player they have seen on the D-line in a number of years. It's not just people that follow the B12 either. His Heisman invite is proof of that. Rev is going against countless experts in making a claim that Suh is over-rated. I mean no disrespect to you at all but after watching Suh and watching McCoy play and looking at their stats I think it's more likely that McCoy is over-rated.

That said neither OU and NU has had much luck over the last few years with their respect "stars" living up to the hype.

The problem with that kind of argument, is that it fails to take into consideration who is going to be a better pro. There is no question in my mind that Suh was a more productive and dominate college player than McCoy. The problem, as it so often seems, is in the translation of who will transition to the Pros better and become the best player. Two of the best guys at grading players who become better in the pros have McCoy over Suh as well. That would be Mike Mayock and Nolan Nawrocki of PFW.

McCoy has played one less year, played in a much higher rotation, and had a completely different scheme to execute. That is the main reason his numbers are not the same as Suh's. Suh played five years at Nebraska and he made a huge jump between his fourth and fifth year. He developed into the complete stud he is today. Right now, he is an excellent player who is almost NFL ready.

McCoy has one of the most devastating punches of any DL I have ever seen. He is an explosive prototype UT, who has very refined technique and has even played all along the DL with his quickness and hand play. The thing that I grade him higher is his upside. Suh is almost a Finished product coming out. McCoy has the higher ceiling. That is what makes him so damn Scary.

Either way, both grade out as future All-pro players and I would be happy to plug either of them in right away and watch them go to battle.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 05:18 AM
The problem with that kind of argument, is that it fails to take into consideration who is going to be a better pro. There is no question in my mind that Suh was a more productive and dominate college player than McCoy. The problem, as it so often seems, is in the translation of who will transition to the Pros better and become the best player. Two of the best guys at grading players who become better in the pros have McCoy over Suh as well. That would be Mike Mayock and Nolan Nawrocki of PFW.

McCoy has played one less year, played in a much higher rotation, and had a completely different scheme to execute. That is the main reason his numbers are not the same as Suh's. Suh played five years at Nebraska and he made a huge jump between his fourth and fifth year. He developed into the complete stud he is today. Right now, he is an excellent player who is almost NFL ready.

McCoy has one of the most devastating punches of any DL I have ever seen. He is an explosive prototype UT, who has very refined technique and has even played all along the DL with his quickness and hand play. The thing that I grade him higher is his upside. Suh is almost a Finished product coming out. McCoy has the higher ceiling. That is what makes him so damn Scary.

Either way, both grade out as future All-pro players and I would be happy to plug either of them in right away and watch them go to battle.

I have no problem agreeing that McCoy and Suh are 1A and 1B. I agree that Pelini's system is tailored to a guy like Suh. Jerad Crick also posted huge numbers for a DT while playing next to Suh. Then there is Dorsey. His senior year was very close to Suh's junior season. Still I will argue that multiple scouting reports had serious questions regarding Dorsey leading up to the draft. Without trying to get caught up in stats I do think there are a few areas of Suh's that get over looked. His 12 sacks are impressive, but no one really talks about how he had 26 QB pressures last year, 10 pass deflections and 3 blocked kicks. He is a force wherever and whenever.

As for McCoy having a higher ceiling I suppose I would have to agree with that, but only because I believe he has more work to do then Suh.

Suh's flaws are few. He gets high at times and needs to work harder on pass-rush moves. Most people have little doubt he can play DT 4-3 or DE in a 3-4. Giving him more versatility then McCoy.

More then a few scouting reports on McCoy seem to believe he isn't strong enough to play DE in a 3-4 system. They also say he gets over powered on running plays or is overly aggressive during them. I've read a few people saying he lacks some bulk to be a two-gap defensive tackle. They have him more as a one-gap defender better suited for the Tampa 2.

Anyways I know you break down players much better then me. I also have no problem admitting that my love for the Huskers will always lead me to believe that Suh is the better player then McCoy even though I think both are very talented :)

Broncoman13
03-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Which of those two would be better in a 3-4 and would either of them even be worth a high (top 3) pick as interior linemen in the 30 or 50 fronts? It would seem to me that Suh would be better suited to play in the 3-4 but that is mainly b/c of height... but even then, is he worth that high of a pick when you somewhat neutralize his ability to penetrate and get after the QB?

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Which of those two would be better in a 3-4 and would either of them even be worth a high (top 3) pick as interior linemen in the 30 or 50 fronts? It would seem to me that Suh would be better suited to play in the 3-4 but that is mainly b/c of height... but even then, is he worth that high of a pick when you somewhat neutralize his ability to penetrate and get after the QB?

Suh draws more comparison to Seymour. McCoy falls more into the Tommy Harris/Kevin Williams type. I would have a hard time saying either player would fail in any front they line up in. My personal opinion though thinks Suh would be much better at being a DE in a 3-4 then McCoy because of how well he holds up vs the run.

Mediator12
03-17-2010, 08:15 AM

Both have the attributes to play multiple positions in any front. Suh has the raw strength to play every position but RDE in a 4-3 effectively. McCoy has the physicality and the hand play to play everywhere except RDE as well IMHO.

The thing about playing them as DE ina 3-4 is you lose their Strengths to be 2 gappers. They can both do it and do it pretty well. However, they are much better suited playing DT in a 4-3 as they can play their gaps and be aggressive going for the play, instead of funneling it to the LB's.

Anyone who would choose to use them that way would be wasting tremendous amounts of talent to keep a scheme instead of adapting the scheme to fit the players. These guys are that good. You have to build the fronts around what they do from day one. Otherwise, do not expect that contract extension ;D

TheReverend
03-17-2010, 01:52 PM

McCoy being over-rated has little to do with Suh also being over-rated considering everything I've laid out for you in this thread similarly applies to McCoy. You're flat out missing the point by taking this personally for some reason.

And yes, every. single. year. the same experts and coaches are saying that someone else is the most dominant player they've seen in years at X position.

How over-hyped were Tyson Jackson and Raji last year?

Dorsey and Gholston the year before?

How about Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson?

This goes all the way back to when Gerard Warren was the anticipated next draft DL messiah.

Coaches talk their guys up. Opposing coaches even do the same. "Experts" definitely give honest opinions, but the majority of the time they're sensationalized to build some excitement in their readers.

Ability and measurables out the walls... but he's not going to be playing against Texas in the pros. In fact, the only interior OL worth anything in the Big 12 was Brandon Carter from Tech (0 sacks from Suh enroute to a Nebraska getting their ass kicked at home by a massive underdog Red Raider team).

This an extremely circular argument though, so I will now drop it. Here's to hoping that Suh's NFL production can match his measurables.

TheReverend
03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Both have the attributes to play multiple positions in any front. Suh has the raw strength to play every position but RDE in a 4-3 effectively. McCoy has the physicality and the hand play to play everywhere except RDE as well IMHO.

The thing about playing them as DE ina 3-4 is you lose their Strengths to be 2 gappers. They can both do it and do it pretty well. However, they are much better suited playing DT in a 4-3 as they can play their gaps and be aggressive going for the play, instead of funneling it to the LB's.

Anyone who would choose to use them that way would be wasting tremendous amounts of talent to keep a scheme instead of adapting the scheme to fit the players. These guys are that good. You have to build the fronts around what they do from day one. Otherwise, do not expect that contract extension ;D

That. It'd be a massive waste when you can find a guy with the size, strength, some quickness and a love for brawling later down the line.

Gob
03-17-2010, 03:31 PM

I suppose McDaniels may not be trying to copy the NE defense and is going with a more conventional 3-4, but isn't getting high 1st round super talented DE's who can play multiple positions in multiple fronts the drafting formula the Pats used, at least in their superbowl days? I would be surprised if having an "amoeba" defense to go with his plans for an amoeba offense doesn't appeal to McDaniels.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 11:49 PM
McCoy being over-rated has little to do with Suh also being over-rated considering everything I've laid out for you in this thread similarly applies to McCoy. You're flat out missing the point by taking this personally for some reason.

And yes, every. single. year. the same experts and coaches are saying that someone else is the most dominant player they've seen in years at X position.

How over-hyped were Tyson Jackson and Raji last year?

Dorsey and Gholston the year before?

How about Gaines Adams and Jamaal Anderson?

This goes all the way back to when Gerard Warren was the anticipated next draft DL messiah.

Coaches talk their guys up. Opposing coaches even do the same. "Experts" definitely give honest opinions, but the majority of the time they're sensationalized to build some excitement in their readers.

Ability and measurables out the walls... but he's not going to be playing against Texas in the pros. In fact, the only interior OL worth anything in the Big 12 was Brandon Carter from Tech (0 sacks from Suh enroute to a Nebraska getting their ass kicked at home by a massive underdog Red Raider team).

This an extremely circular argument though, so I will now drop it. Here's to hoping that Suh's NFL production can match his measurables.

Who is the best DT in the draft Rev? I asked a simple question. You can try and discount Suh and his success because of Tyson Jackson, Raji, Dorsey, Gholston, Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson or Gerard Warren hype they received before the NFL draft. We can do this from Kennedy to Wilkerson. That won't answer my simple question who do you think is the best DT in the draft.

How many D-line players have been sent to New York for the Heisman in the last 30 years? Two? Suh is one of them. None of the people you have even come up with have even been more then a after thought to this award.

Then there is this amazing thought about how bad NU got there ass kicked by TTech this year. Nebraska's D allowed 24 points. My math is a little fuzzy right now but would the 41 points the McCoy's D allowed be a couple points more? I mean when you break down the stats and you see things like this first downs TT 32, yards 549, passing yards 388, rushing yards 161 vs first downs 15, yards 259, passing yards 234, rushing yards 25. That one ****ing sack that McCoy was able to get vs the best O-line guy that you have rated in the B12 seems to be that much more worthless.

You're right though we can do this everyday and this will always be personal to me. Not because of who I'm arguing with, but becuase I'm a Husker fan.

DBroncos4life
03-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Oh by the way in 2007 Glen Dorsey had 7 sacks, 12.5 TFL and 4 QB hurries.
Suh 12 sacks, 26 QB hurries, and he was over 13 TFL by November 5th. They are nothing a like.

Cito Pelon
03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
no doubt someone being mocked as top 10 will fall out of the top 10, but any that do fall out of the top 10 aren't going to be guys that a team drafting in the 20s have fits over and decide we need to go get that guy now.

figure the cream of the crop in the top 10 are Suh, McCoy, Berry, Bradford, and Clausen. these are the guys that teams would flip for if they fell out of the top 10 and would make deals to get, but the rest of the top 10 isn't filled with guys like that. so short of one of Suh, McCoy, Berry, Bradford or Clausen falling out of the top 10, i don't see any player that a team drafting after us, would feel the need to trade up and acquire our number 11 pick.

What about one of the OT's as mattob pointed out above?