PDA

View Full Version : Which AFCW team has helped themselves the most in Free Agency so far.

baja
03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
....And why.

Swedish Extrovert
03-13-2010, 03:09 PM
The Broncos. Because I'm a fan.

Archer81
03-13-2010, 03:11 PM
According to the NFL Network its Chicago and Baltimore.

But **** them

Denver had a lack of depth and size on the D-line. In a week they changed that. So clearly Denver has had the best FA period.

:Broncos:

baja
03-13-2010, 03:12 PM
The Broncos. Because I'm a fan.

.... and a lazy young man.

TheDave
03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Baltimore... As much as I hate them, the addition of Bolden is exactly what they needed.

Never mind... You said AFCW

In that case I'll go with Denver. ;D

Though KC helped themselves with their coaching moves their FA haul has been less than stellar.

and on the other side Oakland and San Diego have done basically nothing.

baja
03-13-2010, 03:18 PM

But **** them

Denver had a lack of depth and size on the D-line. In a week they changed that. So clearly Denver has had the best FA period.

Wow when did the Bears & Ravens join the AFCW???

Blueflame
03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Baltimore... As much as I hate them, the addition of Bolden is exactly what they needed.

Never mind... You said AFCW

In that case I'll go with Denver. ;D

Though KC helped themselves with their coaching moves their FA haul has been less than stellar.

and on the other side Oakland and San Diego have done basically nothing.

I'm wondering why KC was seeing the RB position as the primary one that needed bolstered... Thomas Jones will expect to start, but it's difficult to ignore the numbers Jamaal Charles was putting up at the end of last season. Because of the possibility of injuries, they do need a serviceable backup, but don't they need a lot more help at WR than at RB? ??? They also need an upgrade at QB, IMHO.... neither Croyle nor Cassel are very good. :)

DenverBrit
03-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm wondering why KC was seeing the RB position as the primary one that needed bolstered... Thomas Jones will expect to start, but it's difficult to ignore the numbers Jamaal Charles was putting up at the end of last season. Because of the possibility of injuries, they do need a serviceable backup, but don't they need a lot more help at WR than at RB? ??? They also need an upgrade at QB, IMHO.... neither Croyle nor Cassel are very good. :)

Soooooooo, are you saying Denver helped themselves the most? ;D

jebures
03-13-2010, 04:17 PM

basically by default as SD and Oakland have done nothing

extralife
03-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Might be KC. They haven't cut anyone without a replacement and they signed a good player. We addressed a need, but we might have overpaid to do it, and cutting Andre Davis just straight up makes the team worse than if we had kept him. And we don't have a center.

Swedish Extrovert
03-13-2010, 04:45 PM
.... and a lazy young man.

Mfer, I'm working on 55 pages of writing I have to get done this weekend.

Why do you think I've been frequenting the mane so often recently? I live in Denver's Penrose Library.

tsiguy96
03-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Might be KC. They haven't cut anyone without a replacement and they signed a good player. We addressed a need, but we might have overpaid to do it, and cutting Andre Davis just straight up makes the team worse than if we had kept him. And we don't have a center.

how do you overpay in a non cap year? 2 of our new signings have front loaded contracts

extralife
03-13-2010, 05:03 PM
because there will be a cap at some point, and Bowlen ain't rollin' in the cash. anything you pay to one guys comes out of the pool of cash Bowlen is willing to pony up. given our vast swath of RFA's that are probably not going to be very happy with that they have, money is a concern.

tsiguy96
03-13-2010, 05:27 PM
because there will be a cap at some point, and Bowlen ain't rollin' in the cash. anything you pay to one guys comes out of the pool of cash Bowlen is willing to pony up. given our vast swath of RFA's that are probably not going to be very happy with that they have, money is a concern.

like i said, go look at the total value of their contracts and what they are making this year, very frontloaded.

next year is not so bad and clearly the important ones will get their money then.

maher_tyler
03-13-2010, 05:44 PM

I think Cassel will be a good QB with more help with the O line and a good WR!

Blueflame
03-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Too soon to tell. It's good that the D-line is being addressed and doing it via FA rather than the draft is more likely to yield immediate results (linemen usually take a season or two to develop).

Blueflame
03-13-2010, 06:53 PM

Maybe. I doubt that he'll ever be worth what the Chefs paid him though. And he would definitely need a bolstered O-line and someone to catch the ball if he's ever gonna look better than "one bad play away from the bench"...

crazyhorse
03-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Seems like you guys have cut more talent than you have signed. How that translates into improving the team, I'm not sure.

IMO, nobody in the west has done much to improve. I think Denver may be trying to position themselves in the draft for the position they want to draft. But thats speculation on my part.

KC has improved in the sense that they are deeper at RB. As for the coaching changes, that really doesn't qualify as free agent improvement. But if you want the most improved team in the off season with all additions considered, then KC is the most improved hands down. But then they also had the most room to improve so....

strafen
03-13-2010, 08:16 PM

Having Charlie Weiss as his OC wouldn't hurt either...

Archer81
03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Wow when did the Bears & Ravens join the AFCW???

I had my contacts out. So...I misread.

As for the AFCW, Denver.

SD and Oakland have not had any big signings. KC is trying but its like watching a midget climb Mt Everest.

maher_tyler
03-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Maybe. I doubt that he'll ever be worth what the Chefs paid him though. And he would definitely need a bolstered O-line and someone to catch the ball if he's ever gonna look better than "one bad play away from the bench"...

I would be a lot more comfortable with him as our QB than Orton!

maher_tyler
03-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Seems like you guys have cut more talent than you have signed. How that translates into improving the team, I'm not sure.

IMO, nobody in the west has done much to improve. I think Denver may be trying to position themselves in the draft for the position they want to draft. But thats speculation on my part.

KC has improved in the sense that they are deeper at RB. As for the coaching changes, that really doesn't qualify as free agent improvement. But if you want the most improved team in the off season with all additions considered, then KC is the most improved hands down. But then they also had the most room to improve so....

Other than Jones, who have you signed?? I didn't think RB was a position of need on your team...

Broncos4Life
03-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Sleight edge to the Broncos.
Got the big NT we've needed, at least for a season or 2. Got some rotational guys.Considering how the defense did last season, we definitely helped ourselves. We still need to work on OFF. Now C or G is the target. At least thats where I think is a big need. KC got some skill players and a busted over the hill C that probably wouldn't have got picked up unless teams had injuries at that position. So they stocked up a little on some weapons but their OL is still weak.

Baja, you should have included a poll with this thread so we could see if sirhcyennek81 would still pick with Chicago or Baltimore.

Archer81
03-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Baja, you should have included a poll with this thread so we could see if sirhcyennek81 would still pick with Chicago or Baltimore.

Uhh...ok?

crazyhorse
03-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Other than Jones, who have you signed?? I didn't think RB was a position of need on your team...

Depth at RB was a need. I think we probably signed the best backup in the league. He ran for 1400 yards last season. Granted behind a better O line. But he will help a great deal if Charles goes down, or as a backup to Charles. We nearly made a fragile position on the team bullet proof.

The Chiefs WILL run the ball next season.

Like I said, I dont think the AFCW has done much in the FA period overall. The Broncos would be looking a little better with thier signings if they weren't cutting players like Davis. Seems like you took one step forward and 2 steps back with that move, IMO. But thats just my opinion.

baja
03-13-2010, 09:11 PM
I had my contacts out. So...I misread.

As for the AFCW, Denver.

SD and Oakland have not had any big signings. KC is trying but its like watching a midget climb Mt Everest.

Don't you lie to me you were tea bagging weren't you. ;D

Blueflame
03-14-2010, 03:13 AM
I would be a lot more comfortable with him as our QB than Orton!

I wouldn't. Not for $61 million....

Tomeboy58801
03-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Depth at RB was a need. I think we probably signed the best backup in the league. He ran for 1400 yards last season. Granted behind a better O line. But he will help a great deal if Charles goes down, or as a backup to Charles. We nearly made a fragile position on the team bullet proof.

Like I said, I dont think the AFCW has done much in the FA period overall. The Broncos would be looking a little better with thier signings if they weren't cutting players like Davis. Seems like you took one step forward and 2 steps back with that move, IMO. But thats just my opinion.

I do not think Thomas Jones will be the backup, what has Charles proved to be the starter, he was good for a few games, but not Thomas Jones good. Charles will get his carries, but Jones will be the starter.

The MVPlaya
03-14-2010, 05:08 AM
I do not think Thomas Jones will be the backup, what has Charles proved to be the starter, he was good for a few games, but not Thomas Jones good. Charles will get his carries, but Jones will be the starter.

Other than being the 2nd leading rusher in the NFL behind Chris Johnson in the 2nd half of the season (where he was moved to starter)?

Not sure.

Drek
03-14-2010, 05:56 AM

So bringing in Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, and Jarvis Green = one step forward.

Letting Weigmann (who played horrible last year) and Davis (who collapsed late in the second half last year) = two steps back.

Sorry, that doesn't really make much sense.

I know people like to look at last season and the fact that Davis played very well for the first half of the year and was still better than anything (other than DJ) we've trotted out at ILB since Al Wilson retired for the second half. But the fact remains he's had his fair share of significant knee injuries and he does not offer sideline to sideline speed. He showed late season decline last year, and the two years before that. We rolled the dice on him and got better than expected performance, but following it up with another roll of the dice is asking to get burned.

I don't think RB was their top priority, it was just the one they could most easily address. They where in on Boldin but that deal hinged on Boldin taking an extension and if he was given the choice between the Ravens and Chiefs its obvious who he'd prefer to sign with. Jamal Charles hasn't proven anything more than the ability to get hot for a few games, they needed a guy who could be the every down starter if Charles didn't continue to progress.

Still, that is the one move of real worth they've done. They're still trying to run a 3-4 without a legitimate NT on the roster. Maybe Crennel and Weis bring some NE magic with them, but I have doubts. Todd Haley was supposed to be a great offensive coach, what more is Weis going to add there unless Haley isn't getting the job done, in which case they've got bigger problems. Crennel could help but he's not going to make miracles happen without some quality vet additions to strengthen all three tiers of that defense.

SD hasn't done anything but watch guys leave, Oakland isn't doing anything either.

We'll see where the final pieces land, but at this point Denver is the only team that has addressed its single biggest issue last season by adding some legitimate DL talent.

Hamrob
03-14-2010, 09:16 AM
So far, it's Denver...but, there's still a ways to go.

crazyhorse
03-14-2010, 09:42 AM
So bringing in Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, and Jarvis Green = one step forward.

Letting Weigmann (who played horrible last year) and Davis (who collapsed late in the second half last year) = two steps back.

Sorry, that doesn't really make much sense.

I know people like to look at last season and the fact that Davis played very well for the first half of the year and was still better than anything (other than DJ) we've trotted out at ILB since Al Wilson retired for the second half. But the fact remains he's had his fair share of significant knee injuries and he does not offer sideline to sideline speed. He showed late season decline last year, and the two years before that. We rolled the dice on him and got better than expected performance, but following it up with another roll of the dice is asking to get burned.

I don't think RB was their top priority, it was just the one they could most easily address. They where in on Boldin but that deal hinged on Boldin taking an extension and if he was given the choice between the Ravens and Chiefs its obvious who he'd prefer to sign with. Jamal Charles hasn't proven anything more than the ability to get hot for a few games, they needed a guy who could be the every down starter if Charles didn't continue to progress.

Still, that is the one move of real worth they've done. They're still trying to run a 3-4 without a legitimate NT on the roster. Maybe Crennel and Weis bring some NE magic with them, but I have doubts. Todd Haley was supposed to be a great offensive coach, what more is Weis going to add there unless Haley isn't getting the job done, in which case they've got bigger problems. Crennel could help but he's not going to make miracles happen without some quality vet additions to strengthen all three tiers of that defense.

SD hasn't done anything but watch guys leave, Oakland isn't doing anything either.

We'll see where the final pieces land, but at this point Denver is the only team that has addressed its single biggest issue last season by adding some legitimate DL talent.

There were worse performers to cut than Davis. Your signing have more luster in your eyes than they do mine. But then perhaps the Chiefs additions have more luster in my eyes than yours. Thats normal.

To blow off the coaching additions of Wiess and Crennel over Penderghast and Haley who is supposed to be a head coach not HC/OC makes you look too homerish to take seriously. You had credibility in my mind until then.

My one step forard and two back was in reference to upgrading the D line while downgrading the LB corps. You're not going anywhere doing that.

Wiegmans performance suffered only because he was asked to block in a power run game. That's not what undersized linemen do well. Thats why he left KC. Because he went from blocking for Priest Holmes to blocking for LJ. Hopefully he is a backup for us. But if not, hopefully he has a year or two zone blocking left in him. Who knows.

I dont expect Denver fans to fess up on the "most improved" question. But clearly KC has made big strides in improving the organization overall. I persoanally think that with the coaching additions, it will make KCs team better across the board from a player standpoint. Denver certainly hasnt done that. Maybe Im just being a homer.

NFLBRONCO
03-14-2010, 09:49 AM
We are pinning our hopes on a guy with bad knees to make our DL better. I do like our additions on line but, feel we still have too many holes to be considered most improved in our division. Our NT position will not be better then 09 if he can't hold up. I really hope we trade down and draft a young NT to help out. I have a feeling Baskin will roll the dice and draft LB and put all his chips Williams holding up.

BroncoMan4ever
03-14-2010, 10:01 AM

But **** them

in my opinion Chicago wins the "We Overpaid for old past their primes talent that will never live up to the money we gave them" award.

Drek
03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
There were worse performers to cut than Davis. Your signing have more luster in your eyes than they do mine. But then perhaps the Chiefs additions have more luster in my eyes than yours. Thats normal.
And Davis just happened to be a guy with an internal option waiting to take his spot, good draft depth, and a high probability of '10 collapse. So the team did the kind thing and let him go when there where still jobs open.

To blow off the coaching additions of Wiess and Crennel over Penderghast and Haley who is supposed to be a head coach not HC/OC makes you look too homerish to take seriously. You had credibility in my mind until then.
Well, thats your opinion. When have just the additions of a couple coordinators turned around a team? Crennel is a good coach who had a lot of the heavy lifting done for him in NE, and worked with elite talent. Now he's working with basically no elite talent and has to carry the scheme entirely on his own two shoulders. Cleveland wasn't exactly shutting teams down during his tenure there.

Weis meanwhile might provide someone for Haley to hand major offensive responsibilities off to, but that only really matters if you think A. Haley isn't much of an offensive coach and Weis is an upgrade or B. Haley was overworked and overmatched in his first year as HC. Neither one is a good omen for Haley's career going forward.

My one step forard and two back was in reference to upgrading the D line while downgrading the LB corps. You're not going anywhere doing that.
Again, where's the downgrade at LB? Because not only did Davis decline over last season, he's highly unlikely to reproduce his first 6-8 games of last season at any point in 2010.

The Broncos effectively bought a winning lottery ticket with Davis last year. It'd be pretty stupid to bet on that same kind of pay off with worse odds in 2010.

Meanwhile they added three DLs who're all at least as good as any player the Broncos had on the DL last year.

Wiegmans performance suffered only because he was asked to block in a power run game. That's not what undersized linemen do well. Thats why he left KC. Because he went from blocking for Priest Holmes to blocking for LJ. Hopefully he is a backup for us. But if not, hopefully he has a year or two zone blocking left in him. Who knows.
Thats great, but like Davis we're talking about 2010 here, not what someone did in 2009 (Davis) or 2008 (Weigmann). Casey was a net negative on the team last year and he would be again this year. We can roll out a street FA and get comparable production to what he gave the team last year, so its only improving from that point.

I dont expect Denver fans to fess up on the "most improved" question. But clearly KC has made big strides in improving the organization overall. I persoanally think that with the coaching additions, it will make KCs team better across the board from a player standpoint. Denver certainly hasnt done that. Maybe Im just being a homer.
Better across the board with only adding one impact player at a lesser need position?

Like I replied to Blue, you take what you can get, but different coordinators won't suddenly lead to different production out of the same bad cast of players.

Denver on the other hand addressed their single biggest weakness and did so aggressively. The LBs didn't need a significant overhaul. The secondary didn't either. Both have second string young talent who have already been contributing to the defense. On offense the team sees addition by subtraction, losing two players who weren't capable of even league average production in this scheme (Hamilton and Weigmann).

It isn't that KC isn't trying, they just keep being the runner up on most all of their targets. They missed on Boldin which would have made their off-season. The Broncos meanwhile have been closing deals with everyone they targeted with the exception of Hadnot, and its highly likely they passed on Hadnot to pursue Mawae or another C option, since he signed well after leaving Denver for short money.

oubronco
03-14-2010, 12:44 PM
We are pinning our hopes on a guy with bad knees to make our DL better. I do like our additions on line but, feel we still have too many holes to be considered most improved in our division. Our NT position will not be better then 09 if he can't hold up. I really hope we trade down and draft a young NT to help out. I have a feeling Baskin will roll the dice and draft LB and put all his chips Williams holding up.

Dan Williams with #11

Drek
03-14-2010, 12:57 PM

We aren't putting it all on Jamal Williams' knees. Ron Fields is still on the roster, Chris Baker is still on the roster, Justin Bannan played NT for the Ravens in multiple fronts, and Jarvis Green played NT for NE on passing downs.

There are a lot of other options on the roster if Williams can't cut it.

The Broncos need to draft a young NT to develop, but it doesn't need to be a first rounder. One of the quality 2nd or 3rd round prospects could fill that role quite well also.

That said, we've at least made an attempt to address our biggest need. SD is still an overall more talented team but they've only seen subtraction this year. Oakland is a joke and hasn't added anyone significant. KC is the only other team in the division making moves to get better, but so far they've missed on the big moves that would've lead to real progress.

The Broncos off-season hasn't been perfect, but its a whole lot more promising than what many other teams in the league are doing.

crazyhorse
03-14-2010, 01:06 PM
And Davis just happened to be a guy with an internal option waiting to take his spot, good draft depth, and a high probability of '10 collapse. So the team did the kind thing and let him go when there where still jobs open.

Well, thats your opinion. When have just the additions of a couple coordinators turned around a team? Crennel is a good coach who had a lot of the heavy lifting done for him in NE, and worked with elite talent. Now he's working with basically no elite talent and has to carry the scheme entirely on his own two shoulders. Cleveland wasn't exactly shutting teams down during his tenure there.

Weis meanwhile might provide someone for Haley to hand major offensive responsibilities off to, but that only really matters if you think A. Haley isn't much of an offensive coach and Weis is an upgrade or B. Haley was overworked and overmatched in his first year as HC. Neither one is a good omen for Haley's career going forward.

Again, where's the downgrade at LB? Because not only did Davis decline over last season, he's highly unlikely to reproduce his first 6-8 games of last season at any point in 2010.

The Broncos effectively bought a winning lottery ticket with Davis last year. It'd be pretty stupid to bet on that same kind of pay off with worse odds in 2010.

Meanwhile they added three DLs who're all at least as good as any player the Broncos had on the DL last year.

Thats great, but like Davis we're talking about 2010 here, not what someone did in 2009 (Davis) or 2008 (Weigmann). Casey was a net negative on the team last year and he would be again this year. We can roll out a street FA and get comparable production to what he gave the team last year, so its only improving from that point.

Better across the board with only adding one impact player at a lesser need position?

Like I replied to Blue, you take what you can get, but different coordinators won't suddenly lead to different production out of the same bad cast of players.

Denver on the other hand addressed their single biggest weakness and did so aggressively. The LBs didn't need a significant overhaul. The secondary didn't either. Both have second string young talent who have already been contributing to the defense. On offense the team sees addition by subtraction, losing two players who weren't capable of even league average production in this scheme (Hamilton and Weigmann).

It isn't that KC isn't trying, they just keep being the runner up on most all of their targets. They missed on Boldin which would have made their off-season. The Broncos meanwhile have been closing deals with everyone they targeted with the exception of Hadnot, and its highly likely they passed on Hadnot to pursue Mawae or another C option, since he signed well after leaving Denver for short money.

I guess where we differ in opinion is that you have upgraded on the D line. Those guys to me, are what you are saying Davis is. A gamble. I figured Davis less a gamble than your new signings. Everyone is entitled to thier opinion and I've been wrong before.

As for missing on all our targets. The only one I can think of we havent signed is Boldin. Building a new D line from bargain basement has beens is hardly a coup in FA.

Concerning Crennel, look at it this way. Someone at one time thought Crennel had a lot of talent to work with in Cleveland when they traded for thier entire D line. Come to find out they didn't have any talent on the D line. Crennel did more with less than did the Broncos with that same D line. A coordinator can and does make a difference with the same talent. But that is just one example I can think of off the top of my head.

bowtown
03-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Concerning Crennel, look at it this way. Someone at one time thought Crennel had a lot of talent to work with in Cleveland when they traded for thier entire D line. Come to find out they didn't have any talent on the D line. Crennel did more with less than did the Broncos with that same D line. A coordinator can and does make a difference with the same talent. But that is just one example I can think of off the top of my head.

No, actually Denver went to the AFC Championship Game with that line.

Xenos
03-14-2010, 02:18 PM
You guys win obviously. SD shouldn't really be included since we never dip into FA that much at all. At least any big names. We always spent the majority of the salary cap on our own core guys.

Jesterhole
03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Oakland. They've come one season closer to Al Davis dying, thus improving the team beyond measure for all time.

crazyhorse
03-14-2010, 02:59 PM
No, actually Denver went to the AFC Championship Game in spite of that line.

Fixed it.

Either way it would make my point valid.

That line sucked though.
IMO

bowtown
03-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Fixed it.

Either way it would make my point valid.

That line sucked though.
IMO

It actually didn't. Denver only gave up a single touchdown for the first 5 games of that season and was 8th in rushing yards for the whole season. It was the last season Courtney Brown made it through semi healthy and Pryce's last season with the team. With Myers and Warren added to the mix, the line did some really good things. They did fall apart a little down the stretch but in any case they were better in almost every major statistical category than they were in Cleveland, so your argument that they were somehow better coached under Crennel or precieved as more talented is not at all valid, especially since when we made the moves we were the laughing stock of the league, and is the reason people always rewrite history when they talk about the Browncos. But in 2006 under Coyer, they played some great football.

lostknight
03-14-2010, 06:02 PM
We are set at NT. I honestly still think that Chris Baker may end up being the man sooner or later. I think the Broncos have done decently well at adding QB depth - although Quinn's signing sure flies in the face of the optimism McDaniels thunders about on.

Number one challenge is a center right now.

I think we need to look at adding talent at CB and young players across the board in depth positions.