PDA

View Full Version : Update on Champ's contract

GoBroncos84
03-13-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14667552

The Broncos, though, are not likely to restructure Bailey's deal anytime soon for two reasons. One, no NFL players outside of unrestricted free agents are getting new deals because of the ever-real possibility of a 2011 lockout. The Broncos did recently allocate $20.3 million of their 2010 budget to sign unrestricted free agents Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams, Jarvis Green, Nathan Jones, Brandon Lloyd and Russ Hochstein.

Two, if the Broncos rework Bailey's existing contract, what message would that send to Elvis Dumervil, Kyle Orton and Chris Kuper, who have been asked to accept one-year, relatively low-salaried contracts as restricted free agents?

Not that Bailey's expiring contract figures to be his last. He has said he would like to play until he's 40 and would be willing to eventually make a Rod Woodson-like transformation to safety to make it happen.

bap454
03-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Play until hes Forty?!

SportinOne
03-13-2010, 01:05 PM
40? Ha, i'll take it. I just hope he doesn't demand top dollar so that we can keep him around. I like the idea of him at free safety. He's a great tackler and he will always have good overall speed, especially for a safety.

broncswin
03-13-2010, 01:25 PM
I think Champ is one of those rare old school guys...I see him working out a contract fair to both sides in order to one help himself, but two help the team...I think he would transition great to safety...ball hawk who can come up and make a tackle...that would be the best scenario for both parties.

Cito Pelon
03-13-2010, 01:25 PM
If Denver were to restructure Bailey it would be a restructure, not an enhancement. So that would have no correlation to Elvis, Orton, or Kuper.

And Champ is no Rod Woodson. Champ will transition to safety? Don't make me laugh. He'll get run over constantly.

baja
03-13-2010, 01:28 PM
If Denver were to restructure Bailey it would be a restructure, not an enhancement. So that would have no correlation to Elvis, Orton, or Kuper.

And Champ is no Rod Woodson. Champ will transition to safety? Don't make me laugh. He'll get run over constantly.

Right on the first point wrong on the second

Champ would make a great safety

Killericon
03-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Right on the first point wrong on the second

Champ would make a great safety

Especially if he's across from a player like Dawkins(Though that'll never happen, if we have a SS that can lay the wood, Champ could play deep like Reed).

UberBroncoMan
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Uh... Champ is one of the best tacklers in the entire team. He has the size, and he could add a little muscle if needed. He could do it easily. I see a Darren Sharper with Champ when he makes the transition.

Fusionfrontman
Yeah, free saftey... not SS. But I like Champ a lot. He is very old school and this is a kind of guy we should do what we can to keep. High caliber player and guy in the locker room. Even if his skills begin to diminish, you still want to have him around because he is so valuable.

HEAV
40!

Let's just see how it goes at 32 (this coming season) and work on a year to year basis. Thinking eight years ahead is nice, but concentrate on 2010 for now.

Cito Pelon
03-13-2010, 01:43 PM
40? Ha, i'll take it. I just hope he doesn't demand top dollar so that we can keep him around. I like the idea of him at free safety. He's a great tackler and he will always have good overall speed, especially for a safety.

Free safety? Don't make me laugh.

If Champ doesn't want to restructure, then I guess he'll be moving on then fade away after a couple mediocre years.

s0phr0syne
03-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, free saftey... not SS. But I like Champ a lot. He is very old school and this is a kind of guy we should do what we can to keep. High caliber player and guy in the locker room. Even if his skills begin to diminish, you still want to have him around because he is so valuable.

How many true strong safeties are even starting in the league anymore?

baja
03-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Free safety? Don't make me laugh.

If Champ doesn't want to restructure, then I guess he'll be moving on then fade away after a couple mediocre years.

You will live to eat those words Cito.

Cito Pelon
03-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Jeez, you guys think he can transition to free safety? Ok, that's fine with me, but I don't see it. I'm thinking after the way he played last year Champ only has a couple mediocre years left in him as a starter and that's at LCB.

Caligula
03-13-2010, 01:51 PM

Has to be one of the most uneducated posts I've read

Dedhed
03-13-2010, 01:52 PM
What would the purpose of a restructure be given that there is no cap?

Cito Pelon
03-13-2010, 01:54 PM
You will live to eat those words Cito.

Long live Cito! Maybe I'll have to live on crow and humble pie. That's not real appealing, so I've said enough for today.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-13-2010, 01:55 PM

And in it's final year.

Dedhed
03-13-2010, 01:56 PM
And in it's final year.

I didn't realize that. There's no such thing as a "restructure" if it's his final year of his deal.

baja
03-13-2010, 01:57 PM
I didn't realize that. There's no such thing as a "restructure" if it's his final year of his deal.

Than why is Champ not RFA?

broncswin
03-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Jeez, you guys think he can transition to free safety? Ok, that's fine with me, but I don't see it. I'm thinking after the way he played last year Champ only has a couple mediocre years left in him as a starter and that's at LCB.

what in the hell are you talking about..why don't you think Champ could transition to safety successfully...I think he would be a hell of a safety...the guy is a sure tackler and has great ball skills...what else do you want in a safety...do you think he is too small??

s0phr0syne
03-13-2010, 02:00 PM

It's not his rookie contract? I don't think I understand what motivated this question. Like what your reasoning behind it is.

Dedhed
03-13-2010, 02:03 PM

?????? because he's still under contract. You can't be any kind of free agent if your contract hasn't expired.

bowtown
03-13-2010, 02:04 PM

Because it's the last year of his contract. Players don't become any kind of FA until their contracts end. Doesn't mater anyway though because Champ has more than 6 years in the league, so he automatically becomes an UFA when his contract ends, not a RFA.

bowtown
03-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Right, I made this mistake in thinking awhile ago too. It being his last season, and without a cap, there is no reason to restructure anything even with an extension, unless you wanted him to lower his salary... which I think might piss him off pretty royally. Champ will make his 13 mil this season no matter what. I do hope they work on an extension for him though beyond this season at a more reasonable number.

Cosmo
03-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Who are these people that doubt that Champ could play at Safety? Do you even watch Broncos games? Champ has been our best tackler on the team since the first day he got here. He plays great leverage and wraps up on all tackles. Could he play SS in the box? No, could he play FS and roam the field like Ed Reed or Darren Sharper, hell yes he could.

Kaylore
03-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Yeah, the last year of the deal and no cap makes that particular statement in the article incredibly stupid.

Requiem
03-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Champ Bailey :)

GoBroncos84
03-13-2010, 06:39 PM
I think Champ will make an amazing safety someday. I think he still has a couple of good years at corner, still one of the top 5 in the league IMO. Imagine how many balls he can get his hands on when he is in deep coverage and just watching the QB instead of playing a man. And he is one of the top run support corners in the league, so that won't be an issue. I hope he plays out his career here

Rather than restructure they should have written extension

uplink
03-13-2010, 10:26 PM
keep him around and he'll be another broncos HOF

baja
03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
I think Champ will make an amazing safety someday. I think he still has a couple of good years at corner, still one of the top 5 in the league IMO. Imagine how many balls he can get his hands on when he is in deep coverage and just watching the QB instead of playing a man. And he is one of the top run support corners in the league, so that won't be an issue. I hope he plays out his career here

Rather than restructure they should have written extension

I think he will be a better free safety than he is currently playing corner.

Bronco Yoda
03-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Champ could play Safety if he put his mind to it. He might not slobber-knock somebody but he'd make the stop or the pick.

cutthemdown
03-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I said 3 yrs ago Bailey ends up like Woodson, makes pro bowl at FS. He would be a great one because hes not afraid to tackle and plays really well with back to the goaline.

cutthemdown
03-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Champ could play Safety if he put his mind to it. He might not slobber-knock somebody but he'd make the stop or the pick.

Bailey would need some muscle as the SS spot that is for sure. But as a coverage safety that can tackle wr/rb/te well enough I think he would do really well.

Woodson not really a big hitter. More like a ballhawk. He probably is bigger then Bailey though.

baja
03-14-2010, 12:40 AM
I said 3 yrs ago Bailey ends up like Woodson, makes pro bowl at FS. He would be a great one because hes not afraid to tackle and plays really well with back to the goaline.

And he is smart as hell. That was a hell of a trade Shanny pulled off.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2010, 08:21 AM
what in the hell are you talking about..why don't you think Champ could transition to safety successfully...I think he would be a hell of a safety...the guy is a sure tackler and has great ball skills...what else do you want in a safety...do you think he is too small??

Yup, too small. I guess if a team can't find anybody else worth a damn at FS they could turn to Champ. Sorry, I'm just not seeing it as something to look forward to for the Broncos.

GoBroncos84
03-14-2010, 09:57 AM
If we are using Rod Woodson as the measuring stick, he was 6'0" 205lbs. Champ is 6'0" 192lbs. It's not a huge stretch to see him playing FS at some point, especially if he adds a couple of pounds.

Dedhed
03-14-2010, 10:36 AM

It certainly is THE shining moment in Shanny's GM career.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2010, 11:05 AM

You had to yank my chain, eh?

It wasn't that great of a trade. Portis was kicking ass, had the best YPC of any back in NFL history for his first two years in the NFL. Had 31 TD's his first two years. Trading Portis was a mistake.

Because Shanny as GM had failed trying to acquire CB's, he sacrificed a potential HOF'r for a CB.

Having said that, if Tatum Bell had panned out the trade would have been awesome. But, Shanny as GM f'd up the 2nd rounder.

DarkHorse
03-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Funny, who in the NFL runs Champ over now? I see him making aggressive tackles on ANY ball carrier out there year in and year out.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2010, 11:20 AM
If we are using Rod Woodson as the measuring stick, he was 6'0" 205lbs. Champ is 6'0" 192lbs. It's not a huge stretch to see him playing FS at some point, especially if he adds a couple of pounds.

It's not a huge stretch to see Champ go to FS. As Baja said above, he might be better at FS right now than at CB.

I'm going out on a limb here, being kind of a jerk. I'm saying don't get all excited about it.

Woodson was a better football player than Champ. More physical, better leader, better returner, just plain better.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Funny, who in the NFL runs Champ over now? I see him making aggressive tackles on ANY ball carrier out there year in and year out.

We're just gonna have to see how much crow I'll have to eat I guess.

bronco militia
03-14-2010, 11:56 AM

I agree...champ sort of played safety this year when they moved Dawkins down to the LOS....he was usually lost in coverage.

hopefully they abandoned that damn formation

Play2win
03-14-2010, 12:03 PM
How big was Aeneas Williams? I thought he played a pretty good safety towards the end of his career.

Just looked it up. He was listed at 5'11" - 200lbs.

He might be a better comparison. He played into his late 30's (~37 years old)

baja
03-14-2010, 12:31 PM

No kidding for Shanny's last few seasons Champ was our defense.

Bronco Yoda
03-15-2010, 05:29 AM
We're just gonna have to see how much crow I'll have to eat I guess.

I'm guessing that will be more than one meal :rofl:

Cito Pelon
03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing that will be more than one meal :rofl:

I'm looking up recipes . . . . lessee there's crow stew, crow cakes, crow gumbo, deep fried crow, barbecued crow . . . .

Mebbe I'll form the Bubba Cito Crow Company.