PDA

View Full Version : Broncos’ millionaire club

Bronco Rob
03-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Broncos’ millionaire club

By Nick Groke
Posted March 12, 2010, 7:16 pm MT

With the Broncos giving cornerback Champ Bailey a $3 million signing bonus this week, Mike Klis on Saturday will breakdown the roster by salary. Look for it overnight.

Meantime, here’s the list of Broncos who stand to make at least seven figures next season.

Interesting list, how salaries work out. For example, Brandon Marshall is looking UP at Chris Simms and Robert Ayers.

The Broncos have 27 players due to make at least $1 million in 2010:

Champ Bailey … CB … $13 million
Knowshon Moreno … RB … $8.44 million
Justin Bannan … DE … $7 million
Jamal Williams … NT … $6 million
D.J. Williams … ILB … $6 million
Robert Ayers … OLB … $5.12 million
Daniel Graham … TE … $4.5 million
Jarvis Green … DE … $3.26 million
Elvis Dumervil … LB … $3.17 million
Kyle Orton … QB … $2.62 million
Cris Simms … QB … $2.54 million*
Brandon Marshall … WR … $2.52 million
Chris Kuper … RG … $2.52 million
Andrι Goodman … CB … $2.34 million
Brandon Stokley … WR … $2 million
Jabar Gaffney … WR … $1.95 million
Renaldo Hill … FS … $1.95 million
Ronnie Fields … NT … $1.95 million
Brian Dawkins … SS … $1.82 million
Darrell Reid … OLB … $1.73 million
Nathan Jones … CB … $1.63 million
Correll Buckhalter … RB … $1.56 million
Brandon Lloyd … WR … $1.26 million
Tony Scheffler … TE … $1.18 million
Russ Hochstein … OL … $1.13 million
Ryan Clady … LT … $1.02 million
Mario Haggan … ILB … $1 million

27-player total: $89.21 million

*Somebody get me Simms's agent STAT!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/12/broncos-millionaire-club/

DBroncos4life
03-13-2010, 04:06 AM
Looking at that list I couldn't see any reason why Marshall wouldn't want to be a Bronco for life. Three guys on that list make more then him and they haven't played a tenth of a second as a Bronco. Then there is Simms. He sure as **** needs to be the 11th highest paid Bronco.

Drek
03-13-2010, 04:39 AM
Looking at that list I couldn't see any reason why Marshall wouldn't want to be a Bronco for life. Three guys on that list make more then him and they haven't played a tenth of a second as a Bronco. Then there is Simms. He sure as **** needs to be the 11th highest paid Bronco.

Marshall was offered the chance to sit at #2 on that list last summer and he passed. Don't see where he has reason to complain about money with regards to the Broncos.

Bronco Yoda
03-13-2010, 05:27 AM
Simms sure did get a nice little golden parachute fund from us. One last parting gift before he retires to the greens.

elsid13
03-13-2010, 06:03 AM
Marshall was offered the chance to sit at #2 on that list last summer and he passed. Don't see where he has reason to complain about money with regards to the Broncos.

Because the money was all at back end of the contract. We all know that unless you get the money up front in the NFL, it not a good deal for a player. It was a smart move by him, and if you were in his position you and your agent wouldn't have signed it either.

Drek
03-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Because the money was all at back end of the contract. We all know that unless you get the money up front in the NFL, it not a good deal for a player. It was a smart move by him, and if you were in his position you and your agent wouldn't have signed it either.

No, it just didn't have a ton of guaranteed money. He'd have brought in around $9.5M per season.

And if I'd been an amazing jackass off the field who was on more violation away from potentially missing an entire season I might understand how my actions lead to this point, and would instead take the massive contract and prove myself worthy of it season after season.

But what do I know, I'm just a grown man who considers himself accountable for his own actions. Not a pro football player. They obviously have different standards for accountability.

HAT
03-13-2010, 06:42 AM
rasta is going to have a blast playing fantasy agent with this thread.

ColoradoDarin
03-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Simms won't see a dime of that when he's cut.

And did I miss something, Champ got a *signing* bonus? Does he mean a *roster* bonus? All hail the media, with their layers of fact checkers and editors!

oubronco
03-13-2010, 07:28 AM
No, it just didn't have a ton of guaranteed money. He'd have brought in around $9.5M per season.

And if I'd been an amazing jackass off the field who was on more violation away from potentially missing an entire season I might understand how my actions lead to this point, and would instead take the massive contract and prove myself worthy of it season after season.

But what do I know, I'm just a grown man who considers himself accountable for his own actions. Not a pro football player. They obviously have different standards for accountability.

wheres the breakdown of the contract i'm interested to see it

nickademus
03-13-2010, 08:28 AM
wow we paid bannon near the franchise ammnt. for a DT he had better be worth it.

GoBroncos84
03-13-2010, 08:37 AM
1.02 million for Clady? That is quite interesting. Dawkins and him will be a steal this season.

Marshall and Dumervil deserve new contracts

rastaman
03-13-2010, 09:33 AM
rasta is going to have a blast playing fantasy agent with this thread.

Meh! The Broncos (with McD leading the charge and with Bowlen's blessing) made Marshall an insulting contract offer that only an idiot would sign, Brandon proved he wasn't stupid! So what does Bowlen and McD target next as their next IDIOTs? Why its the rest of the league, with their attempts to offer a Kings Ransom for trading Marshall.

On the one hand the Broncos don't want to pay Brandon long term due to off the field issues, but surprisingly teams interested in Brandon were not supposed to consider Marshalls off the field problems either, and just give the Broncos they're ridiculous high draft pick demands. Hopefully the rest of the league have shown the Broncos they can't have their cake and eat it to.

So it looks like Marshall will be a Bronco in 2010 (due to Denver poisoning the well) and theme as to why Brandon is still a Bronco was "Off the Field Problems". So Brandon's theme for 2010 should be to play SMARTER & NOT RECKLESSLY to save wear and tear on his body as much as possible He needs to save his body b/c LONGEVITY = increasing the odds you will get paid top 5 money eventually.

Chris
03-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Your caps lock key is BROKEN rasta.

Dedhed
03-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Looking at that list I couldn't see any reason why Marshall wouldn't want to be a Bronco for life. Three guys on that list make more then him and they haven't played a tenth of a second as a Bronco.

Marshall was offered to be much higher on that list, but like most playas he wants something for nothing.

All he had to do was sign the deal, play like he has and stay out of trouble, and he would have gotten PAID.

Beantown Bronco
03-13-2010, 10:14 AM
On the one hand the Broncos don't want to pay Brandon long term due to off the field issues, but surprisingly teams interested in Brandon were not supposed to consider Marshalls off the field problems either, and just give the Broncos they're ridiculous high draft pick demands. Hopefully the rest of the league have shown the Broncos they can't have their cake and eat it to.

Please tell me Rasta: how is a single first round pick a "ridiculous demand" for someone you believe is one of the best WRs in the league?

You've got it backwards. The first round compensation to Denver is the easy part for these teams. Over a dozen teams would do that in a second if that's all they had to worry about. The compensation to Marshall is the sticking point.

TonyR
03-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Looking at current year salary isn't very useful. You really have to look at the whole contract, particularly how much money was received up front and/or how much is guaranteed.

UberBroncoMan
03-13-2010, 10:21 AM
I think we've front loaded the contracts so next year (if there is a cap) we'll be in great shape.

TotallyScrewed
03-13-2010, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I was going to say where's the link/thread that had his contract laid out on the table for us to review...I must have missed that.

There are only two guys on above Brandon that meant more to the team last year...and really only one and that's a close one (Doom). Bailey's worth is based on past performance (not complaining here) but the rest...pfffft.

When he leaves this board will break out how he was a piece of ****, whiney bitch that didn't do anything and sucked while he was here and will always suck...SOP for former Broncos.

BroncoMan4ever
03-13-2010, 11:16 AM
wow we paid bannon near the franchise ammnt. for a DT he had better be worth it.

he is a pretty good player and his versatility enables him to play both end spots as well as the nose, so i think he is worth the deal he got.

BroncoMan4ever
03-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I was going to say where's the link/thread that had his contract laid out on the table for us to review...I must have missed that.

There are only two guys on above Brandon that meant more to the team last year...and really only one and that's a close one (Doom). Bailey's worth is based on past performance (not complaining here) but the rest...pfffft.

When he leaves this board will break out how he was a piece of ****, whiney b**** that didn't do anything and sucked while he was here and will always suck...SOP for former Broncos.

no, the overwhelming message regarding Marshall when he is gone will be he was a great player for us, but his off field distractions, money he wants and potential 8 game suspension if he messed up again(his history shows that to be likely) made him not worth what he was asking.

Drek
03-13-2010, 11:35 AM

The article in which it was referenced (with two sources) said it was worth $9.5M per season with very little guaranteed money, and the lack of guaranteed money was why Marshall didn't sign it. Deferred money was never mentioned as a sticking point by either source and it was phrased as $9.5M per season, not $9.5M AAV.

I totally get why Marshall wouldn't sign it. He knows he can't be 100% sure he won't screw up again, at which point he's SOL. But at the same time his previous issues have lead to his current situation, where no one has extended the kind of multi-year, guarantee laden deal he's seeking, so it is what it is.

He can go find someone willing to pay a first and whatever his contract demands are, he can take the $2.5M and be happy with the sizable raise he's getting over what he made last year, he can see if the Broncos would put the non-guaranteed big money deal back on the table, or he can try to sit out a year, possibly two if the players strike, and see how that works out for him.

Pretty cut and dry really.

Tombstone RJ
03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Broncos’ millionaire club

By Nick Groke
Posted March 12, 2010, 7:16 pm MT

With the Broncos giving cornerback Champ Bailey a $3 million signing bonus this week, Mike Klis on Saturday will breakdown the roster by salary. Look for it overnight.

Meantime, here’s the list of Broncos who stand to make at least seven figures next season.

Interesting list, how salaries work out. For example, Brandon Marshall is looking UP at Chris Simms and Robert Ayers.

The Broncos have 27 players due to make at least $1 million in 2010:

Champ Bailey … CB … $13 million
Knowshon Moreno … RB … $8.44 million
Justin Bannan … DE … $7 million
Jamal Williams … NT … $6 million
D.J. Williams … ILB … $6 million
Robert Ayers … OLB … $5.12 million
Daniel Graham … TE … $4.5 million
Jarvis Green … DE … $3.26 million
Elvis Dumervil … LB … $3.17 million
Kyle Orton … QB … $2.62 million
Cris Simms … QB … $2.54 million*
Brandon Marshall … WR … $2.52 million
Chris Kuper … RG … $2.52 million
Andrι Goodman … CB … $2.34 million
Brandon Stokley … WR … $2 million
Jabar Gaffney … WR … $1.95 million
Renaldo Hill … FS … $1.95 million
Ronnie Fields … NT … $1.95 million
Brian Dawkins … SS … $1.82 million
Darrell Reid … OLB … $1.73 million
Nathan Jones … CB … $1.63 million
Correll Buckhalter … RB … $1.56 million
Brandon Lloyd … WR … $1.26 million
Tony Scheffler … TE … $1.18 million
Russ Hochstein … OL … $1.13 million
Ryan Clady … LT … $1.02 million
Mario Haggan … ILB … $1 million

27-player total: $89.21 million

*Somebody get me Simms's agent STAT!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/12/broncos-millionaire-club/

That's not bad at all! Lean and mean with the only guy making over $10m a year being a potential HOFer.

If this was Shanny's team, you'd have like 4 guys making over $10m a year, one being Cutler...

cutthemdown
03-13-2010, 11:50 AM

exactly. Marshall wants out of Denver because he's the one that started the crap with the thug who killed Darrent. Not his fault he was just being Brandon but I don't think he feels safe in Denver. He watns out because he can't enjoy life living in Denver.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-13-2010, 11:54 AM
That's not bad at all! Lean and mean with the only guy making over $10m a year being a potential HOFer.

If this was Shanny's team, you'd have like 4 guys making over $10m a year, one being Cutler...

Potential HoFer? He's tied for the most Pro Bowls ever for a corner, he's in.

Tombstone RJ
03-13-2010, 11:59 AM

fair enough

TotallyScrewed
03-13-2010, 12:06 PM

Given the number of Broncos in the HOF, Potential is the best you can say...regardless of statistics...on or off the field behavior.

OBF1
03-13-2010, 12:13 PM
How in the world is Knowshon's number 8.44 million, Ayers 5.12 million and Clady's just 1.02 million. Clady was a lower pick than both and is alot better player than the 2 of them put together.

Tombstone RJ
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
How in the world is Knowshon's number 8.44 million, Ayers 5.12 million and Clady's just 1.02 million. Clady was a lower pick than both and is alot better player than the 2 of them put together.

I'm a little suprised by that number too. Knowshon better show up his 2nd year in the NFL, he ain't a rookie anymore.

GoBroncos84
03-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Knowshon just got a $3.775 million roster bonus this week, so that accounts for a big chunk of his salary this year

TonyR
03-13-2010, 01:11 PM

As stated previously in this thread, you can't necessarily look at current year salary and get an accurate depiction of the value of the overall contract.

Moreno
8/7/2009: Signed a five-year, $16.7 million contract. The deal includes $13.125 million guaranteed. Another $6.3 million is available through incentives. The Broncos can exercise an option year in 2014 by paying Moreno $5.08 million. 2010: 2013: Under Contract, 2014: Club Option, 2015: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=5163

Ayers
8/4/2009: Signed a five-year, $18.34 million contract. The deal includes $9.7 million guaranteed. 2010: $1,712,500, 2011: $2,055,000, 2012: $2,397,500, 2013: $2,165,000, 2014: Restricted Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5261

Clady
7/25/2008: Signed a six-year, $14.75 million contract. The deal includes $11.415 million guaranteed. Another $2.55 million is available through incentives. 2009: $2,141,250, 2010: $2,569,500, 2011: $2,997,750, 2012: $1.994 million (Voidable Year), 2013: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4616

Beantown Bronco
03-13-2010, 01:15 PM
How in the world is Knowshon's number 8.44 million, Ayers 5.12 million and Clady's just 1.02 million. Clady was a lower pick than both

No he wasn't. He and Knowshon were both picked at 12.

Jason7730
03-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Meh! The Broncos (with McD leading the charge and with Bowlen's blessing) made Marshall an insulting contract offer that only an idiot would sign, Brandon proved he wasn't stupid! So what does Bowlen and McD target next as their next IDIOTs? Why its the rest of the league, with their attempts to offer a Kings Ransom for trading Marshall.

So it looks like Marshall will be a Bronco in 2010 (due to Denver poisoning the well) and theme as to why Brandon is still a Bronco was "Off the Field Problems". So Brandon's theme for 2010 should be to play SMARTER & NOT RECKLESSLY to save wear and tear on his body as much as possible He needs to save his body b/c LONGEVITY = increasing the odds you will get paid top 5 money eventually.

Ridiculous high draft picks, huh? Kind of like what the Cowboys gave up for Roy Williams. Oh wait, they gave up a lot more than that! He should play smarter and not have wear and tear on his body?......or he might get depressed.....You are truly a pathetic idiot.

baja
03-13-2010, 01:42 PM

I don't get you, sure the players have a narrow window to earn but berating Bowlen is highly unfair he has consistently been in the top five of fair owners. Hell he even gives one years severance pay to departing coaches. There are organizations that take advantage of their players but Bowlen has a reputation of being a very fair owner.

Dedhed
03-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Front loaded contracts and inflation. Every team in the league has rookies and 2nd year players who are among the highest paid players on the team. Precisely why the rookie cap is such a good idea.

brother love
03-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Then call me an idiot!
9.5 million per year is a lot of money. No other team in the league is going to give a guy who is 1 strike away from being suspended a better deal.

Drek
03-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Clady already received much of his guaranteed money in bonuses over the first two years of playing here. Moreno and Ayers are just hitting the big bonus years in their contract, they'll be down in the low seven figures for the rest of their deals after this.

OBF1
03-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys for clearing this up for me. Makes sense now, but I still think Clady is obscenely under paid.

Paladin
03-13-2010, 04:21 PM
let's see, the game has four fifteen minute quarters. But there are about 120 plays in an average game, each lasting an average of seven seconds each. That's about 14 minutes on average for actual play action in an average game. About 7 minutes per team, about half being on D and half on O. All the rest of the time is spent on the bench, in huddle, or otherwise not engaging in play action.

Now, if the average salary was 1 million for the regular season and prseasaon, would it be reasonable to conclude that the 1 mil player makes about $14,285 per hour, regardless if he actually plays or not? That does not count bonuses.

Hefty pay no matter how you cut it......

baja
03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
let's see, the game has four fifteen minute quarters. But there are about 120 plays in an average game, each lasting an average of seven seconds each. That's about 14 minutes on average for actual play action in an average game. About 7 minutes per team, about half being on D and half on O. All the rest of the time is spent on the bench, in huddle, or otherwise not engaging in play action.

Now, if the average salary was 1 million for the regular season and prseasaon, would it be reasonable to conclude that the 1 mil player makes about $14,285 per hour, regardless if he actually plays or not? That does not count bonuses.

Hefty pay no matter how you cut it......

If they lounged on the beach until game time than you would have a point.

TheDave
03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
If they lounged on the beach until game time than you would have a point.

Even then his point would be ridiculous.

News Flash... Pro Athletes get paid a lot.

oubronco
03-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Front loaded contracts and inflation. Every team in the league has rookies and 2nd year players who are among the highest paid players on the team. Precisely why the rookie cap is such a good idea.

This is exactly why Marshall didn't sign the offer last year, Their wasn't enough upfront money and I don't blame him one bit