PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks cool on Broncos Brandon Marshall?

Bronco Rob
03-11-2010, 04:08 AM
Seahawks cool on Broncos Brandon Marshall?

As the “Silence from Seattle” continues, the message from Puget Sound reverberates all the way to the Rocky Mountains. The more time passes without the Seahawks submitting an offer sheet, the more they are telling the Broncos they do not want star receiver Brandon Marshall at the expense of the No. 6 overall draft pick. As a first-round tendered, restricted free agent, Marshall was the Seahawks’ guest last weekend in the Seattle area. He flew out there by private jet, then traveled by seaplane to the Seahawks’ headquarters, where the team’s brass awaited on the dock for a welcoming handshake. Marshall told friends that as he flew past Seattle’s Qwest Field, the video board carried the message “Welcome Brandon Marshall.” — Denver Post

http://benmaller.com/nfl/

Ratboy
03-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Good. I hope he stays a Bronco.

Paladin
03-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Sounds like an old gf I once had. Real invitational, but when the time came, the "no sale" sign came out.

I see two possibilities: They want to dicker, or Marshall is in Denver next year, likely at the prepviously offered contract. I can't imagine his agent would settle for the tender amount.....

rmsanger
03-11-2010, 05:13 AM
Why do they bring him out for an interview if they don't want him for the 6th? Just wait until we sign and work directly with us for a trade including less than the #6.

bowtown
03-11-2010, 05:55 AM
Well the more time that passes without any other teams stepping in, the less chance there is of Seattle signing him to an offer sheet. They will wait till the draft an try to work out a lesser trade for him.

HorseHead
03-11-2010, 06:06 AM
I'm getting bored with this s-it...

The Joker
03-11-2010, 06:17 AM
The fact that nobody else seems remotely interested in giving up their 1st rounder for him should tell you everything you need to know Brandon's actual trade value.

No way Seattle is giving us the #6, even getting them to give up the #14 seems highly unlikely at this point.

orinjkrush
03-11-2010, 06:19 AM
maybe just playin hard to get...

baja
03-11-2010, 06:54 AM
I would rather have the 14 than the 6 pick. Just shows how screwed up the draft pay scale is.

SoDak Bronco
03-11-2010, 06:56 AM
my guess is we will own our 14th pick and bmarsh will be a seahawk in the coming weeks.

BroncosSR
03-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if this happened:

San Diego would sign Marshall to an offer sheet containing terms to which the Seahawks know Marshall will agree. (A poison pill should be included to ensure that the Broncos won't match the offer; arguably, a poison pill must be included to head off an eventual accusation of collusion from the NFLPA.)

The offer sheet would include a provision that defers for five days or after the deal becomes effective the payment of any money, so that the Chargers never have to actually cut a check to Marshall.

Then, after the offer sheet isn't matched and Marshall becomes a Charger and the 28th overall pick flows from San Diego to Denver, the Chargers would send Marshall to Seattle for the 14th overall pick.

bronco militia
03-11-2010, 07:40 AM

San Diego would sign Marshall to an offer sheet containing terms to which the Seahawks know Marshall will agree. (A poison pill should be included to ensure that the Broncos won't match the offer; arguably, a poison pill must be included to head off an eventual accusation of collusion from the NFLPA.)

The offer sheet would include a provision that defers for five days or after the deal becomes effective the payment of any money, so that the Chargers never have to actually cut a check to Marshall.

Then, after the offer sheet isn't matched and Marshall becomes a Charger and the 28th overall pick flows from San Diego to Denver, the Chargers would send Marshall to Seattle for the 14th overall pick.

no one hates the Broncos quite like Mike Florio

Rohirrim
03-11-2010, 07:47 AM
They're just playing games. The closer it gets to draft day, the higher the temperature goes up. Let's see who can stand the heat. It's like the final scene in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly with the camera going from one set of eyes to the next.

gunns
03-11-2010, 07:49 AM

I thought Gooddell put an end to this practice.

Anyway, I think the Seahawks are playing hard to get to see how desperate Denver is. I don't believe Denver is desperate. I hope they stand their ground. But I'm wondering if the deal of #14 was offered, which I don't feel is bad at all, although since it is the 6th they would be required to give us, feel they need to add something to that 14.

That One Guy
03-11-2010, 07:52 AM
The Seahawks had to float the rumor that they were willing to use the #6 to show good faith when they were interviewing him. They didn't actually have to have an intent to use it, just had to float the rumor. Now they've gotten the interview they want and they know they can negotiate for a lesser deal. The Broncos have some deniability if Seattle uses the #6 as it's not technically a trade but if the Broncos would probably be open to any 1st round pick, the Seahawks would get lit up by their fanbase for giving up the 6 when the 14 would've sufficed.

want2bAbronco2
03-11-2010, 07:58 AM
He will be traded around draft time. Esp since I have heard a few rumors that Josh is really interested in Clausen.

TotallyScrewed
03-11-2010, 08:24 AM
*Yawn*

ColoradoBuff
03-11-2010, 08:31 AM
He will be traded around draft time. Esp since I have heard a few rumors that Josh is really interested in Clausen.

like where?

meangene
03-11-2010, 08:36 AM
As it gets closer to the draft and he does not have an offer sheet, some team with a later first round pick is going to bring him in and present an offer sheet. By waiting, Marshall's contract demands will lessen as he starts to panic at the prospect of returning to Denver at the tender amount. Then, the Seahawks may find themselves with a decision to make on the contract and the pick. I still think he ends up a Patriot. Marshall to NE makes all the sense in the world. Welker is questionable because of the knee and Moss is fading. They also have the structure to handle "problem children" and a history of success doing it. Finally, they can part with a first with three seconds this year and an extra first next year. Seattle should probably not wait too long. At the same time, we should be willing to take #14 at some point before we end up with a later pick.

Rabb
03-11-2010, 08:47 AM

come on man, some sort of believable proof or at least a nice story or GTFO with that ****

Crushisback
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM

Florio is an idiot. The reason Denver is not willing to talk trade with the 14th pick isn't because they're greedy. They are wanting the market for Brandon to set itself. If they offer BM what Bowlen is willing to pay we will match. If not he walks. If we agree on a trade without an offer sheet we have no chance to match. It's funny nobody in the media wants to even consider the Broncos actually want to keep him.

I think our true intentions are to keep BM if the contract suits us. This is the reason for the 1st round tender as opposed to the 1st 3rd. If we had tendered him higher he probably gets no offers, therefor no market is set for him. Now we let him set his price with another team and if we like it we match and everyones happy. If not we still get decent compensation.

UberBroncoMan
03-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Florio is an idiot. The reason Denver is not willing to talk trade with the 14th pick isn't because they're greedy. They are wanting the market for Brandon to set itself. If they offer BM what Bowlen is willing to pay we will match. If not he walks. If we agree on a trade without an offer sheet we have no chance to match. It's funny nobody in the media wants to even consider the Broncos actually want to keep him.

I think our true intentions are to keep BM if the contract suits us. This is the reason for the 1st round tender as opposed to the 1st 3rd. If we had tendered him higher he probably gets no offers, therefor no market is set for him. Now we let him set his price with another team and if we like it we match and everyones happy. If not we still get decent compensation.

If that's the case, that would be nice.

Paladin
03-11-2010, 09:53 AM

!. Agree that Florio is an idiot, just like Jamie Dukes.

2. Your scenario sounds great, but Marshall may actually want out of town for personal reasons. Like runnng for his life. While he may play patticake publically with the Broncos, I am not sure he feels secure here because of his instigative personality.

3. It is possible that the Broncos would take any first round, but I agree it is an interesting conundrum.

I don't think McD has much interest in Clausen, but may go for Skelton. But you know, what teams will do on draft day is not often advertised on billboards or TV spots or shouted out on the Light Rail so, I'd say, no one knows.....

Tombstone RJ
03-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Turn around is fair play. Isn't Vincent Jackson a RFA too... yah, if the chargers pull that crap, I'd do the same with VJ.

PHHHUUUUK Florio.

bowtown
03-11-2010, 10:14 AM

You really wouldn't be surprised if this happened? Really? I'd be totally shocked. I also think there would be no way the league would allow it.

BroncoInferno
03-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Regarding the OP, I hope the front office sticks by their guns and insists upon a 1st rounder in exchange for Marshall and are content to let him play under the tender for 2010 if they don't. My worry is that they will take a deal similar to the Boldin trade (something like 2nd and 4th rounder, for instance) simply to be rid of him.

gyldenlove
03-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Well, the dead line for signing offer sheets is in just over a month so the longer nothing happens the bigger the chance that nothing happens.

ColoradoBuff
03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Well, the dead line for signing offer sheets is in just over a month so the longer nothing happens the bigger the chance that nothing happens.

which is fine with me!

snowspot66
03-11-2010, 11:40 AM
You really wouldn't be surprised if this happened? Really? I'd be totally shocked. I also think there would be no way the league would allow it.

It'd be shot dead the minute the paperwork arrived at the league office. This stuff isn't technically against the rules but the league office made it very clear they don't like it and don't want it going on.

*WARHORSE*
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
The "SILENCE" in the league regarding Brandon isnt just for Brandon.

Its across the board for all RFAs.

Brandon is a very productive WR, and the most guaranteed producer available in the restricted market.

There are sharks circling beneath the surface, you can believe that.

This years draft may be one heckuva ride.

Think about it......if theres a draft prospect that Seattle values in the top of the draft, they would be stupid not to wait.

Make their selection at 6, THEN sign Brandon Marshall to a contract.

That leaves the 14th selection for compensation.

OOJack
03-11-2010, 02:12 PM
The "SILENCE" in the league regarding Brandon isnt just for Brandon.

Its across the board for all RFAs.

Brandon is a very productive WR, and the most guaranteed producer available in the restricted market.

There are sharks circling beneath the surface, you can believe that.

This years draft may be one heckuva ride.

Think about it......if theres a draft prospect that Seattle values in the top of the draft, they would be stupid not to wait.

Make their selection at 6, THEN sign Brandon Marshall to a contract.

That leaves the 14th selection for compensation.

But the broncos would have to agree with that, and not be forced to take the 14th/sign him, right?!?!?

Rabb
03-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't know why the #14 keeps being tossed around as if Seattle has a choice, from what the team has stated (I know I know), it is your 1st rounder (which would be their #6) or GTFO

bowtown
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't know why the #14 keeps being tossed around as if Seattle has a choice, from what the team has stated (I know I know), it is your 1st rounder (which would be their #6) or GTFO

Right, it is your original pick in that round OR HIGHER. If Seattle traded away their 6th or used it, they would not be able to sign Marshall to an offer sheet, unless they somehow aquired something better than the 6th.

The other problem with that scenario is that the draft is after the signing period for RFAs. Seattle wouldn't be able to offer a contract at that point unless we traded Brandon to them.

Rabb
03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Right, it is your original pick in that round OR HIGHER. If Seattle traded away their 6th or used it, they would not be able to sign Marshall to an offer sheet, unless they somehow aquired something better than the 6th.

The other problem with that scenario is that the draft is after the signing period for RFAs. Seattle wouldn't be able to offer a contract at that point unless we traded him to them.

Zackly

I don't see a draft day trade happening with Marshall, too much planning is involved for the draft...if he makes it that far, he is a Bronco in 2010

bowtown
03-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Zackly

I don't see a draft day trade happening with Marshall, too much planning is involved for the draft...if he makes it that far, he is a Bronco in 2010

I think a last minute draft trade for him could actually be very possible, but we'll see.

TonyR
03-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Anyone interested in a restricted free agent has the ability to talk to the player, to negotiate a contract with the player, and ultimately to sign him to an offer sheet. If he has been tendered at any level, his current team has seven days to decide whether to match. (If he has not been tendered, he can sign freely with his new team.)

The process does not last throughout the offseason; the period for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets ends eight days before the draft. This means that any picks that change hands must be tendered for the current year's draft.

All draft picks must be the original picks. If a team no longer has a first-round pick, for example, it cannot sign a player with a first-round tender to an offer sheet.

That said, restricted free agents can be traded for any compensation about which his current team and his prospective team can agree.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/11/restricted-free-agency-101/

The only thing I'm not certain about is if nobody signs Marshall to an offer sheet before the deadline, 8 days prior to the draft, then what? Can the Broncos still trade him? I assume they can...

bowtown
03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Anyone interested in a restricted free agent has the ability to talk to the player, to negotiate a contract with the player, and ultimately to sign him to an offer sheet. If he has been tendered at any level, his current team has seven days to decide whether to match. (If he has not been tendered, he can sign freely with his new team.)

The process does not last throughout the offseason; the period for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets ends eight days before the draft. This means that any picks that change hands must be tendered for the current year's draft.

All draft picks must be the original picks. If a team no longer has a first-round pick, for example, it cannot sign a player with a first-round tender to an offer sheet.

That said, restricted free agents can be traded for any compensation about which his current team and his prospective team can agree.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/11/restricted-free-agency-101/

The only thing I'm not certain about is if nobody signs Marshall to an offer sheet before the deadline, 8 days prior to the draft, then what? Can the Broncos still trade him? I assume they can...

Yes, but he would have to sign the tender, which he has to do even now if we are going to trade him for a negotiated price. But after that date, the only team he can negotiate with is us.

*WARHORSE*
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Yes, but he would have to sign the tender, which he has to do even now if we are going to trade him for a negotiated price. But after that date, the only team he can negotiate with is us.

Right.

Im learning new things here on the Mane today.:strong:

WolfpackGuy
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Who all has he talked to?

2 teams?

OrangenBlueOhio
03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Who all has he talked to?

2 teams?

This is what I'm wondering. There aren't any "rumors" of other teams interested in him?

What would you want from Cleveland, along with Quinn in a trade?

robbieopperude
03-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Teams who may still be interested in B.Marsh:
Seattle
New England
Cleveland
New York Jets
I don't understand why the Raiders wouldn't consider him and give up pick 8. They need a WR badly. Maybe the sting of Heyward Bey has scared them off. Bwah ha ha.

BroncoBuff
03-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I still hope we keep him.

A rare weapon who'd be almost impossible to replace.

*WARHORSE*
03-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Think the Patriots would want Brandon?

I do.

The thoughts of him Welker and Moss runnin around have gotta have drool runnin down Belicheats stomach.

Dont tell me he wont sign a malcontent.........see exhibiit: MOSS, RANDY

uplink
03-11-2010, 11:21 PM

I would say something like this will not happen since teams have to seem to be playing fair.

The most San Diego could do to screw the broncos would be to give him an offer sheet that the broncos can match to try and get him to remain in Denver creating more disharmony in the locker room not to mention further domestic problems. If this happens the broncos should not match just to f** with the chargers.

DBroncos4life
03-12-2010, 03:44 AM
They are reportedly going after Kolb with our pick we gave them.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/11/report-seahawks-want-kolb-not-mcnabb/

Report: Seahawks want Kolb, not McNabb
Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2010 10:20 AM ET
4151.jpgEarlier this week, Sal Paolantonio of ESPN said in an appearance with Mike Missanelli of 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly that the Seahawks are calling the Eagles "non-stop" regarding the possibility of acquiring quarterbacks Donovan McNabb or Kevin Kolb.

Per our friends (and possibly future colleagues) at CSNPhilly.com, the Seahawks want only one of the two Philadelphia quarterbacks.

Kolb.

It makes sense. Kolb is far younger, the age around which the franchise can be built for the next decade, or longer. He also showed significant potential and performance when given the chance to prepare for an assignment, becoming the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for 300-plus yards in his first two career starts.

And if there was any doubt that the Eagles view Kolb as their future, Jason La Canfora recently reported that on NFL Network's Total Access that the Eagles would want a first-round pick plus something else for McNabb, and that they'd want two first-round picks for Kolb, a second-round pick in 2007.

rastaman
03-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Good. I hope he stays a Bronco.

The SH will give it another shot next season when Marshall's value has gone down but his talent remains supreme.:thumbsup:

rastaman
03-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Regarding the OP, I hope the front office sticks by their guns and insists upon a 1st rounder in exchange for Marshall and are content to let him play under the tender for 2010 if they don't. My worry is that they will take a deal similar to the Boldin trade (something like 2nd and 4th rounder, for instance) simply to be rid of him.

I hope Marshall stays in Denver in 2010 and plays like he's earning $3.0 milllion and put up the stats at the salary he's earning. Then in 2011 the FA process starts all over again....and watch the Broncos try and demand a 1st round pick. Meanwhile the rest of the NFL are laughing their Ass's making such a ridiculous demand b/c should Marshall's stats and performance slip in 2010 the Broncos can't demand a number 1 pick.

Brandon Marshall......play to the level of what your'e getting paid!!! Please don't give McD another 100 plus reception season and make those highlight injury risky YACs for just a paltry $3.0 million bucks. Denver has you at low bargin price! How about you turning in a 50-60 reception season, and keep those risky YACs to a minimum.

TonyR
03-12-2010, 06:50 AM
They are reportedly going after Kolb with our pick we gave them.....

The Eagles aren't going to give up Kolb unless they like one of the QB's in the draft and they think they can get him with that pick. Kolb is their QB of the future so they can't let him go without another one. They are much more likely to let McNabb go unless they get blown away with an offer.

chex
03-12-2010, 06:53 AM
I hope Marshall stays in Denver in 2010 and plays like he's earning $3.0 milllion and put up the stats at the salary he's earning. Then in 2011 the FA process starts all over again....and watch the Broncos try and demand a 1st round pick. Meanwhile the rest of the NFL are laughing their Ass's making such a ridiculous demand b/c should Marshall's stats and performance slip in 2010 the Broncos can't demand a number 1 pick.

Brandon Marshall......play to the level of what your'e getting paid!!! Please don't give McD another 100 plus reception season and make those highlight injury risky YACs for just a paltry $3.0 million bucks. Denver has you at low bargin price! How about you turning in a 50-60 reception season, and keep those risky YACs to a minimum.

So you think Marshall blatantly dogging it will INCREASE his value to other teams in 2011?

sixtimeseight
03-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Please don't quote him, seriously like half of us have him on ignore for a reason.

DBroncos4life
03-12-2010, 07:38 AM
The Eagles aren't going to give up Kolb unless they like one of the QB's in the draft and they think they can get him with that pick. Kolb is their QB of the future so they can't let him go without another one. They are much more likely to let McNabb go unless they get blown away with an offer.

The Hawks are not going to give a first rounder for McNabb. According to Seahawks fans they are willing to offer a first rounder for Kolb. I don't know what you think is being blown away by a offer but a first rounder isn't that bad for a guy with just a handful of NFL starts under his belt.

rastaman
03-12-2010, 03:58 PM
So you think Marshall blatantly dogging it will INCREASE his value to other teams in 2011?

No of course not. However, what you call "Blatantly Dogging It" I disagree and call it Marshall just playing SMARTER Football while cutting down on the wear n tear he has put on is body over the last 3 years. Brandon will get paid and make loads of financially security cash by longevity and taking care of his BODY!

Those YACs by running against the "Grain" and allowing two or more tacklers to bring him down over the last 3 years has put tremendous strain on his knees, hips and ankles, and should he continue to play in this risky manner he will suffer major injuries. Its just a matter of time, he's already had injuries to his hip. Playing the manner in which Brandon plays....he won't be able to play at that caliber over the next 2 or 5 years.

Right now the Broncos are using the excuse of his past off the field issues.....however, Marshall isn't careful the next excuse he'll hear coming from Bowlen and McD are, "Brandon" we really can't pay you what you're asking b/c you performance has slipped A lot in recent years; your body has gone thru a lot of punishment over the last 2 or 3 years----and yeah I know we've underpaid ya for YEARS....but that's how the cookie crumbles.

No one is going to offer Brandon's MILLIONS if he's all broken up and worn down before his time! Marshall can't maintain the same level of play and stats he has endured the last 3 years for much longer

Right now Brandon needs to put on the back burner "Trying to Get Paid" and concentrate with getting out of DENVER and having his health intact. Why do you think Brandon didn't want to play the last game of the season last year, its b/c he didn't want the risk of further injuring his his hamstring thats why. When you into FA ya can't be rehabbing any injuries!

If Brandon believes he needs to play hard in 2010 and 2011 money and (Like McD and some fans foolishly believe) the way he has played in 07, 08, & 09, in the hopes of getting paid like the top WR in the NFL, then he's fooling himself. The NFL is a Cut-Throat Business and will remain an environment of "What-Have-You-Done-For-Me-Lately" and just as soon as discard injured worn out players like "Yesterday's Garbage!"

Brandon doesn't need to play hard and reckless entering into his 5th season while playing for a franchise thats in a rebuilding period and for a team that doesn't want to pay him for his talents and production "ON THE FIELD".

A 5th year player like Bmarsh who has played the game at such a high level may already be "Middle Aged" in NFL Years.

Brandon needs to put his career and the health of his body ahead of Bowlen, McDaniel's and his team if plans on getting paid that $10's million of dollars.

Plain and Simple.

NYBronco
03-12-2010, 04:57 PM
If only Brandon didn't have all the off field issues to be considered the whole situation would have taken care of itself and beneficial to everyone involved. Shooting yourself in the foot is costly.

uplink
03-12-2010, 05:38 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14650469
By the way, I sat all day in the courtroom of the Darrent Williams murder trial, and the comments in the closing arguments by the defense attorney were certainly more brutal than anything sports writers ever said. And tape from the night of the murder, taken by a camera at the club, showed rather conclusively that Marshall didn't tell the truth about one important issue and try to make himself an innocent bystander when he was anything but.

Keep quiet Woody so we can unload this guy!