PDA

View Full Version : Getting it Done - (McDaniels in year two)

*WARHORSE*
03-11-2010, 01:48 AM
By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Since Head Coach Josh McDaniels got into coaching, he hasn't experienced a losing season. He hadn't even been a part of a .500 year, as he accumulated a 121-36 record heading into his first season as a head coach.

The day after a Week 17 loss dropped the Broncos to 8-8 in 2009, McDaniels spoke about the way his inaugural season on the job came to a close.

"It doesn't feel very good," he said. "I want to do better, I can do better and I think we all can do better. That will be what drives us this whole year."

Team captain Champ Bailey wasn't happy with the ending to 2009, either, especially after a 6-0 start. But he said he got a feel for where the team could be headed under McDaniels moving forward, and he is excited about the prospects.

"One thing I do know is we didn't get in the playoffs, and I know (McDaniels is) going to feel like it's a disappointing year, and obviously everybody in here does," Bailey said. "But the guy knows football, and when he has everybody on the same page doing the things he asks us to do on Wednesday mornings to win games, when we do that, then we're going to be a good team."

To Bailey's point, McDaniels said the finish to the season was "not acceptable," but called the 2009 Broncos "a team that was close to doing something that we wanted to get done."

Fellow team captain Mario Haggan agreed on both counts, and said he has high hopes for next season. He expects he and the team as a whole to progress under McDaniels, who he called a "straight-forward coach."

"I'm with him -- I buy into it," Haggan said. "He's a good coach. Sometimes it's hard to get it done in the first year. Do I think we could've done better? Yes. Do I think Josh has done a great job? Yes. I buy into what he's preaching. I think Mr. (President and CEO Pat) Bowlen made a great decision bringing Josh here. He holds everybody accountable, and if you want to play on this team, if you want to be a part of what he has going, you have to be accountable, you have to be trusted, you have to be smart and you have to play the game like it's supposed to be played. A coach like that, you can't go against him, and I just think this will work out."

But McDaniels isn't just hoping it will work out. He and the front office are actively doing "everything we can between now and the beginning of next year to change what we think we need to change to improve the team in every area."

That starts with evaluating every aspect of the team.

"Nobody is going to say it's going to be easy," McDaniels said. "It never is. But if you stand there and do nothing and just hope that it is going to change on its own, it usually doesn't. Now, we enter into another phase. It will be our first offseason where the system has been implemented, and I'm looking forward to going through making tweaks and corrections and identifying the next challenges ahead for our roster and all the decisions we need to make."

Those tweaks began immediately after the season, when the team signed nine players to future contracts -- Baraka Atkins, Lance Ball, DAnthony Batiste, Marquez Branson, Mitch Erickson, Dustin Fry, Braxton Kelley, Matt McChesney and A.J. Trapasso -- between January 4 and February 2. All nine players are now officially on the roster.

It then moved on to tough decisions, like releasing veterans Casey Wiegmann and LaMont Jordan, and crucial moves heading into free agency, like tendering qualifying offers to five restricted free agents -- Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper, Brandon Marshall, Kyle Orton and Tony Scheffler.

Now in the thick of free agency, the team has re-signed Russ Hochstein and Brandon Lloyd and brought defensive linemen Justin Bannan, Jarvis Green and Jamal Williams, cornerback Nathan Jones and running back J.J. Arrington on board.

With the team's offseason conditioning program set to begin on Monday and the NFL Draft a little more than a month away, the preparations for the 2010 campaign are well underway. And McDaniels is ready to build on his first season on the job.

"We've got an opportunity," he said. "Every time you don't make the playoffs, I think it's very disappointing, but it's also an opportunity to look at how far you have to go to be able to be one of those teams that's still playing in January. Until we're there, until we're competing at that level and until we're playing in January and competing for championships and Super Bowls, I won't be happy with what we're doing and what we've done. I think that our team and our staff and our organization have exactly that same philosophy and feeling right now as I do."

Bailey shares that philosophy, and said that while last year was a building block, he's prepared for the team to put it all together in 2010.

"I'm happy with the potential that we have, but I don't want this to be potentially a good thing three years from now," he said. "I want it to be a good thing next year."

BroncoMan4ever
03-11-2010, 02:20 AM
i really like the way these guys are all talking about this season and that they aren't making excuses for last season. i truly think this team will shock the hell out of a lot of people in 2010

Paladin
03-11-2010, 04:51 AM
I hope so. I am tired of all the negativity.....

Ramathorn
03-11-2010, 07:00 AM
i really like the way these guys are all talking about this season and that they aren't making excuses for last season. i truly think this team will shock the hell out of a lot of people in 2010

yeah, like we did last season. puff puff pass

broncswin
03-11-2010, 07:04 AM
I hope so. I am tired of all the negativity.....

see above post

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-11-2010, 08:00 AM

You admitted to going to a Nickelback concert; Your argument is invalid.

http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/7510/original/robocop_is_riding_a_unicorn.jpg

bronco militia
03-11-2010, 08:11 AM
I hope Mcdumbass is disappointed. Other than his 6-0 start , his first 12 months in Denver have been a disaster.

:cuss:

:nyahdevil

Rabb
03-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I figured this thread would bring out the suck holes

crush17
03-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Go Broncos.

Rigs11
03-11-2010, 09:19 AM
You admitted to going to a Nickelback concert; Your argument is invalid.

http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/7510/original/robocop_is_riding_a_unicorn.jpg

Nickelback concertLOLHilarious!

Chris
03-11-2010, 09:23 AM
"I'm with him -- I buy into it," Haggan said. "He's a good coach. Sometimes it's hard to get it done in the first year. Do I think we could've done better? Yes. Do I think Josh has done a great job? Yes. I buy into what he's preaching. I think Mr. (President and CEO Pat) Bowlen made a great decision bringing Josh here. He holds everybody accountable, and if you want to play on this team, if you want to be a part of what he has going, you have to be accountable, you have to be trusted, you have to be smart and you have to play the game like it's supposed to be played. A coach like that, you can't go against him, and I just think this will work out."

This is telling.

bfoflcommish
03-11-2010, 09:33 AM
This is telling.

very telling.

BroncoMan4ever
03-11-2010, 09:36 AM

look at the Broncos this way. the 2009 Broncos were made of 2 separate teams. the team that started 6-0 and the team that finished 2-8.

i am of the belief that the team is closer to the 6-0 team right now, with guys who believe in the system, and are buying into McDaniels, as opposed to being like the 2-8 Broncos.

also, it is a lot more interesting and fun to be optimistic with the team rather than be in a constant state of misery; bitching and moaning about the team.

Dukes
03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
look at the Broncos this way. the 2009 Broncos were made of 2 separate teams. the team that started 6-0 and the team that finished 2-8.

i am of the belief that the team is closer to the 6-0 team right now, with guys who believe in the system, and are buying into McDaniels, as opposed to being like the 2-8 Broncos.

also, it is a lot more interesting and fun to be optimistic with the team rather than be in a constant state of misery; b****ing and moaning about the team.

I think you'd be surprised. A lot of people choose to see it that way, and I'd be willing to bet they live their life that way too.

StugotsIII
03-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't know why anyone is negative about last seasons team. Every talking head "expert" had Denver as being on of the worst teams in the NFL.

They started out strong and fizzled at the end. They went a respectable 8-8 just falling short of the playoffs.

They improved their defense and Orton had a far better year when compared to Cutler.

Last year only points to good things this year. The defense is stronger and the offense WILL improve. A healthy Moreno and a better Orton will guide this offense to new heights.

Pseudofool
McD is changing the culture in Denver and that takes time.

chickennob2
"But the guy knows football, and when he has everybody on the same page doing the things he asks us to do on Wednesday mornings to win games, when we do that, then we're going to be a good team."

Wow, that is really telling. Marshall and Scheffler in week 17?

tsiguy96
03-11-2010, 09:47 AM

also, it is a lot more interesting and fun to be optimistic with the team rather than be in a constant state of misery; b****ing and moaning about the team.

true dat, wonder if the true extreme haters think about this all day and how bad the season is going to be?

Tombstone RJ
03-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I love the direction of this team and what McD is trying to implement.

Dedhed
03-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Wow, that is really telling. Marshall and Scheffler in week 17?I doubt he's referring to week 17 alone.

bowtown
03-11-2010, 11:00 AM

I just ruined my pants.

Dedhed
03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't know why anyone is negative about last seasons team. Every talking head "expert" had Denver as being on of the worst teams in the NFL.

They started out strong and fizzled at the end. They went a respectable 8-8 just falling short of the playoffs.

They improved their defense and Orton had a far better year when compared to Cutler.

Last year only points to good things this year. The defense is stronger and the offense WILL improve. A healthy Moreno and a better Orton will guide this offense to new heights.

It's only negative if you look at in the reflection of the utterly surprising 6-0, which is what the Shanahags do.

They give McD no credit for the start, and hang their opinions on the way the team finished. However, if you look at the season as a hole, the team surpassed just about every expectation, and blew the Shanahags expectations out of the water.

In addition, if you look at every Broncos team over the last 10 years they've had the same tendency to fade down the stretch. Largely due to the style of the personnel, which is being changed quickly by the new FO.