PDA

View Full Version : OT - Kansas City, Mo., closing nearly half its schools

broncosteven
03-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Kansas City, Mo., closing nearly half its schools

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35806883/ns/us_news-education/

Apparently KFC fans don't need all that fancy book learn'n

Very sad story actually, I know there are Bronco fans that live in KFC.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The Kansas City school board narrowly approved a plan Wednesday night to close nearly half the district's schools in a desperate bid to avoid a potential bankruptcy.

The board voted 5-4 after parents and community leaders made final pleas to spare the schools even as the beleaguered district seeks to erase a projected $50 million budget shortfall. The approved plan calls for shuttering 29 of 61 schools a striking amount even as public school closures rise nationwide while the recession eats away at academic budgets.

But many big districts are closing only one or two schools. Detroit closed 29 schools before classes began this fall, but that still left the district with 172 schools

More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35806883/ns/us_news-education/

theAPAOps5
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Didn't read the article but I am assuming its based on lack of use!

Seriously though thats sad knews.

broncosteven
03-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Didn't read the article but I am assuming its based on lack of use!

Seriously though thats sad knews.

In the article it did say that some of the schools were 1/2 full. Not sure why.

kmartin575
03-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Kansas City, MO school district is horrible. There are some great school districts in the metropolitan area though, mostly north of the river. Top two that come to mind are Lee's Summit and Park Hill.

It's not just a coincidence obviously that the best school districts happen to be where the higher income areas of the city are, which is not in the city. Although there is a gradual movement of higher income people into the city as the city has been cleaned up and huge improvements have been made to downtown in recent years. Probably mostly single people or people without kids though, as I can't imagine anybody willingly living in the kcmo school district when they can live plenty of places around the city within easy driving distance of downtown.

Garcia Bronco
03-10-2010, 09:19 PM
If the classrooms are only half full the it makes sense.

Kaylore
03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
If the classrooms are only half full the it makes sense.

Yeah. I mean I know it's sad and it will be really inconvenient and crappy, but you can have half your schools half full of people. It costs a lot to run a school.

Kid A
03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Kansas City, MO school district is horrible. There are some great school districts in the metropolitan area though, mostly north of the river. Top two that come to mind are Lee's Summit and Park Hill.

Yep. In the KC area suburbs there are some of the top public school systems in the country, but the KC, Mo district might just be the worst in the nation. Seriously, it's a never ending mess of terrible results, leadership, facilities, etc. that never leaves the local headlines, and now has worked its way into national news.

Br0nc0Buster
03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I guess the good news is they have more time to make meth now

bpc
03-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I hate seeing education cut but something has to be done to make these institutions more fiscally economical.

Unions aren't helping.

RMT
03-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I hate seeing education cut but something has to be done to make these institutions more fiscally economical.

Unions aren't helping.

Unions are only partly to blame ... they sure aren't to blame for class sizes approaching 40 like they are in my district.

What's sad is that we'd have more funding for education if we got rid of illegals and anchor babies of illegals. Talk about highway robbery.

Archer81
03-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Unions are only partly to blame ... they sure aren't to blame for class sizes approaching 40 like they are in my district.

Some reports have alot of these schools being at half capacity. Makes sense to condense the districts. Its not like the teachers are going to get fired...

Odds these "jobs" are added to the "created/saved" file?

:Broncos:

bpc
03-10-2010, 10:25 PM

There are numerous factors.

After Barry wastes our time with special interest HC and illegal alien reform, maybe he'll be ready to fix the pillars of our country which really need tending to. Like the jobs sector, education, and the deficit.

bpc
03-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Some reports have alot of these schools being at half capacity. Makes sense to condense the districts. Its not like the teachers are going to get fired...

I think some of the teachers are getting fired, and then have to reapply to get rehired.

I'm completely for this if it means the best teachers are getting jobs, and the sloppy ignorant one's can go waste somebody elses time.

RMT
03-10-2010, 10:27 PM

I'm speaking of education, in general ... KC is NOT a prime example of what ails education. As for the jobs, "tenure" does NOT save these teachers' jobs. It just means that they are farther down the totem pole as cuts are made. The "probationary" teachers are SOL and the first to go.

RMT
03-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I think some of the teachers are getting fired, and then have to reapply to get rehired.

I'm completely for this if it means the best teachers are getting jobs, and the sloppy ignorant one's can go waste somebody elses time.

It would be nice if that's the way it happened, but unfortunately, it's last hired first fired (or let go), regardless of evaluations, performance, or longevity. The ONLY longevity that matters is the longevity with the district. So an outstanding teacher with 20 years of experience but in a new district for the past 2 years loses out to a teacher in the same district for 4 years, regardless of the quality of their performance. Now THAT is a disgusting travesty that results from union/district negotiations.

bpc
03-10-2010, 10:33 PM
I did not know that. That is disgusting.

Archer81
03-10-2010, 10:36 PM
well...the laid off teachers can look at the brightside.

They dont have to teach a class full of Gomers that look like Bob.

Silver lining in everything.

RMT
03-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I did not know that. That is disgusting.

tell me about it - that's the boat that i am in this year.

i've done state and district level work but moved to Colorado to be closer to my children. left district admin work in another state, took a $20,000 pay cut, and now my job's been eliminated.

been in education for 18 years but only TWO years with my current district so i'm S.O.L. if i cannot be transferred to a position elsewhere in the district, i'll be looking for a new job elsewhere and starting at the bottom of the totem pole (again). if my NEW district makes cuts NEXT year, i'll be screwed again. the cycle could go on until education funding stabilizes.

and i am a MATH teacher of all things yet will still find myself in a competitive job market. good thing, though, is that i'm certified in math as well as working as a building principal AND a superintendent, so at least i have options.

p.s. i write everything in lowercase because i'm lazy in here - not because i'm illiterate ;)

Bronco Yoda
03-11-2010, 12:19 AM
I didn't even know they 'had' schools there to even close down. WoW.

Florida_Bronco
03-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Now THAT is a disgusting travesty that results from union/district negotiations.

And the reason it's done is to protect long time employees and their pensions from being the first ones on the chopping block.

bpc
03-11-2010, 01:02 AM
tell me about it - that's the boat that i am in this year.

i've done state and district level work but moved to Colorado to be closer to my children. left district admin work in another state, took a $20,000 pay cut, and now my job's been eliminated.

been in education for 18 years but only TWO years with my current district so i'm S.O.L. if i cannot be transferred to a position elsewhere in the district, i'll be looking for a new job elsewhere and starting at the bottom of the totem pole (again). if my NEW district makes cuts NEXT year, i'll be screwed again. the cycle could go on until education funding stabilizes.

and i am a MATH teacher of all things yet will still find myself in a competitive job market. good thing, though, is that i'm certified in math as well as working as a building principal AND a superintendent, so at least i have options.

p.s. i write everything in lowercase because i'm lazy in here - not because i'm illiterate ;)

The thought never crossed my mind. Good luck to you! Is it equally as tough to get into teaching private schools? Seems like they would be more inclined to pay better, to get better teachers out there.

RMT
03-11-2010, 06:12 AM
The thought never crossed my mind. Good luck to you! Is it equally as tough to get into teaching private schools? Seems like they would be more inclined to pay better, to get better teachers out there.

ironically, while private schools are far more selective in hiring and keeping the best teachers, a vast majority of the time they pay far less than public schools.

RMT
03-11-2010, 06:14 AM
And the reason it's done is to protect long time employees and their pensions from being the first ones on the chopping block.

pensions are run by the state - not the district, so that's not an issue ... i understand protecting long-time employees, however, my initial response was regarding the practice of NOT keeping the best teachers and that it had nothing to do with performance or evaluations but longevity.

Garcia Bronco
03-11-2010, 08:50 AM
pensions are run by the state - not the district, so that's not an issue ... i understand protecting long-time employees, however, my initial response was regarding the practice of NOT keeping the best teachers and that it had nothing to do with performance or evaluations but longevity.

Which is bad logic and breeds complacent teachers that aren't worth a ****.

Florida_Bronco
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
pensions are run by the state - not the district, so that's not an issue ... Ahhh. I thought it was a district to district thing. My mistake.

Rohirrim
03-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Good serfs don't need no education.

Inkana7
03-11-2010, 12:12 PM

It's not just a coincidence obviously that the best school districts happen to be where the higher income areas of the city are, which is not in the city. Although there is a gradual movement of higher income people into the city as the city has been cleaned up and huge improvements have been made to downtown in recent years. Probably mostly single people or people without kids though, as I can't imagine anybody willingly living in the kcmo school district when they can live plenty of places around the city within easy driving distance of downtown.

I know kids from North Kansas City and they seem like a very good district.

TailgateNut
03-11-2010, 12:26 PM

What's sad is that we'd have more funding for education if we got rid of illegals and anchor babies of illegals. Talk about highway robbery.

AMEN! ...and I'm not even religious

Garcia Bronco
03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
We spend more per kid than anyone in this world and yield poorer results. It's ain't the schools, classrooms, textbooks, or the teachers. It's those rotten kids that have no discipline because their parents ****ing suck at it. There...I said it.

kappys
03-11-2010, 12:35 PM
http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/nun-motion-clicker.jpg

broncosteven
03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
We spend more per kid than anyone in this world and yield poorer results. It's ain't the schools, classrooms, textbooks, or the teachers. It's those rotten kids that have no discipline because their parents ****ing suck at it. There...I said it.

I concur.

Kids need guidance and when the teacher and principal fail they call the PARENTS. A lot of people don't get that.

I spend a good 90 minutes or more each night with my 1st grader on homework and reading. We have a rythm ever school night and set bedtimes which help but they are still kids and push their limits, having limits is the real key.