PDA

View Full Version : Broncos release Kenny Peterson & Mitch Erickson

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Color me shocked about the Kenny Peterson one. I knew we'd have to cut some DL, but McDaniels just cut his high school teammate... the dude he hugged after the New England game.

Just shows how much of a business this is.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Wow... surprised about that as well.

And what will we do without Mitch??

jebures
03-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Color me shocked about the Kenny Peterson one. I knew we'd have to cut some DL, but McDaniels just cut his high school teammate... the dude he hugged after the New England game.

damn one of my good friends was mitch's teammate in college, he always gave me good info on the Broncos. Now that he is gone I can share some of the stories.

UberBroncoMan
Wow... surprised about that as well.

And what will we do without Mitch??

Especially since we gave him (Kenny) a 3 year contract last year.

GoBroncos84
I'd rather it be Peterson than McBean or Thomas. Either of them could still be cut, but they have more upside than Peterson.

LonghornBronco
03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
This may sound douchbaggish, but good. Josh is showing his commitment to the broncos and winning above all else. Godd for him...

FireFly
03-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Not a HUGE suprise.

A good move - says something about McDaniels as well.

Bronco CB40
03-10-2010, 04:05 PM
It's good to know McDaniels isn't going to let his long-time friendship get in the way of business.

It probably wasn't an easy phone call to make either.

gyldenlove
How the hell are we going to have pressers now without Peterson?

montrose
I don't like the move, why not at least bring him into camp to compete?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Just another example of how no vets want to play for McHitlerStalinface

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd rather it be Peterson than McBean or Thomas. Either of them could still be cut, but they have more upside than Peterson.

Yep. The other two are still young. Peterson is going to be 32 this year. Have to make room for Bannan, Green, and Williams somehow. I'm curious who else we're losing though. Chris Baker or Ron Fields? We just got an NT and someone else who can shift to NT.

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Was probably so he could have a chance to get on with another team. They saw all they needed from him last year, and he's only getting older.

Bronco CB40
03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Yep. The other two are still young. Peterson is going to be 32 this year. Have to make room for Bannan, Green, and Williams somehow. I'm curious who else we're losing though. Chris Baker or Ron Fields? We just got an NT and someone else who can shift to NT.

It's hard to believe Peterson is already that old. It seems like only yesterday he was suiting up for Ohio State in the National Championship game versus Miami.

montrose
03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Was probably so he could have a chance to get on with another team. They saw all they needed from him last year, and he's only getting older.

Screw being nice, we're tying to build a winner here!:~ohyah!:

broncos-rock
03-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Because they are going to sign dwan!

baja
03-10-2010, 04:25 PM

maybe Josh wanted to give his friend a shot at signing somewhere else.

Goobzilla
03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Sorry to see my Adopt A Bronco released, hope he catches on with another team.

eddie mac
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Hmm

Crosses legs and fingers, hoping this to open up room for another DL addition, step forward Mr Edwards.

chaz
03-10-2010, 04:38 PM

I'm with you, I think he had a good veteran presence and would be perfect coming off the bench. It is a numbers game, but injuries happen in OTAs and TC. Maybe it's a courtesy to Kenny to let him sign somewhere else while the market is still alive?

jebures
03-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm with you, I think he had a good veteran presence and would be perfect coming off the bench. It is a numbers game, but injuries happen in OTAs and TC. Maybe it's a courtesy to Kenny to let him sign somewhere else while the market is still alive?

KP fits the exact role that Jarvis Green is going to be taking and they are about the same age, I believe they were thinking about developing a younger DE behind Green rather than have another aged veteran. Plus KP was the suck last year.

The MVPlaya
03-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Couldn't they have signed Dwan and then released Kenny Peterson? lol I don't think it's a move based on that.

worm
03-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Did Kenny call a news conference to announce this?

s0phr0syne
03-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I thought Peterson consistently got good penetration last year. Shows how much of a difference there is between what I see and what the real evaluators see. :(

jayman_37
03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
damn one of my good friends was mitch's teammate in college, he always gave me good info on the Broncos. Now that he is gone I can share some of the stories.

cool what do you got?

Florida_Bronco
03-10-2010, 04:57 PM
A little sad to see Kenny go. He's been with us for awhile now and his been a very hard worker.

Swedish Extrovert
03-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Peterson = surprise. He played well, and he and McD we're buddies.

BroncoBuff
03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Big Peterson supporter ... but he played too many downs this year, he's not that kinda player.

Dedhed
03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Respect. Allows him the chance to sign with another team and earn a roster spot instead of being cut right before the season and teams have filled out their rosters and spent their money.

Florida_Bronco
03-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Respect. Allows him the chance to sign with another team and earn a roster spot instead of being cut right before the season and teams have filled out their rosters and spent their money.

If he doesn't find a job, we could always bring him back and let him compete in camp/preseason, probably at a reduced contract.

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2010, 05:38 PM
If he doesn't find a job, we could always bring him back and let him compete in camp/preseason, probably at a reduced contract.

Very true.

illbroncsfn
03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks for your efforts Kenny!

Kinda surprised on the Mitch Erickson move, I have liked his game and felt that he could be a sleeper for an OG spot in the future....

oubronco
03-10-2010, 05:46 PM

my thoughts

DenverBrit
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I thought Peterson consistently got good penetration last year. Shows how much of a difference there is between what I see and what the real evaluators see. :(

You talked with Josina? Ha!

I agree, what we think we see on film is often different to what the coaches see.

DenverBrit
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
respect. Allows him the chance to sign with another team and earn a roster spot instead of being cut right before the season and teams have filled out their rosters and spent their money.

+1

_Oro_
03-10-2010, 06:17 PM
ARggghhhhh reverse nepotism!!!

... On a more serious note, I won't believe it till I see it on Wiki.

KipCorrington25
03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Peterson sucks this is a good move, makes me feel a little better about all the inside favoritism but we still need a qualified QB coach... well, and QB while I think of it.

Kaylore
03-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I think after seeing what they have and need they realized Peterson doesn't warrant a starter's sallary even if it is a modest one. I think they'll cut him, let him look early for other options and if nothing than let him come back at a reduced rate.

Caligula
03-10-2010, 06:57 PM
It's good to know McDaniels isn't going to let his long-time friendship get in the way of business.

It probably wasn't an easy phone call to make either.

Nah... he had someone else make the call

broncosteven
03-10-2010, 07:06 PM

He and McBean played well early but I can't remember all the times Peterson was caught in the wash on wide run plays as the season progressed.

I like the Dline we have now, a stud rook DT or DE would be awesome, no way Kenny would be anything more than depth and not great depth either.

tsiguy96
03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
jebures were are still waiting for the stories!

Baba Booey
03-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Surprised about Peterson like most others. I think he's a good rotational guy.

McDman
03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
jebures were are still waiting for the stories!

Agreed.

Br0nc0Buster
03-10-2010, 08:02 PM
not surprised
McBean, Bannon, Fields, Green, Williams, Thomas, Baker

I doubt we are keeping more than 7
He was the obvious first choice, Thomas may be next if they draft another dlineman

gtown
03-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Come on!! I am just trying to cut Kenny Mutha****in Peterson!

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2010, 08:13 PM

i love that he is cut throat like that. if you suck at your job it doesn't matter if you are buddies you will be held accountable.

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2010, 08:13 PM
What ever happened to...

Le Kevin Smith

We gave up a 5th round pick for him, and he's a bit bigger than Green... not to mention younger.

I'm still bummed about Vonnie Holliday. He was our best DL last year not to mention an awesome mentor and leader. He really wanted to retire a Bronco.

With Le Kevin Smith gone + Peterson and Vonnie - that's opened up the room for the three signed FA's.

Florida_Bronco
03-10-2010, 08:31 PM
What ever happened to...

Le Kevin Smith

We gave up a 5th round pick for him, and he's a bit bigger than Green... not to mention younger.

I'm still bummed about Vonnie Holliday. He was our best DL last year not to mention an awesome mentor and leader. He really wanted to retire a Bronco.

With Le Kevin Smith gone + Peterson and Vonnie - that's opened up the room for the three signed FA's.

Smith and Holliday are both free agents. I'm relatively sure we'll resign them both at some point.

bpc
03-10-2010, 08:37 PM
This may sound douchbaggish, but good. Josh is showing his commitment to the broncos and winning above all else. Godd for him...

I'd just like to point out that Kenny Peterson had the exact same stats as Jarvis Green and i'm pretty sure we just replaced a vet making the minimum and paid his equal a 4 yr, 20 million contract with 7.5 million up front.

This deal stinks like the Lonnie Paxton one. We're replacing guys just to replace them with "yes" men. Hardly getting better.

Offseason grade will come down to Jamal William's signing. If he's healthy and contributing, it will look solid. Green and Bannan are part time players.

bpc
03-10-2010, 08:40 PM
i love that he is cut throat like that. if you suck at your job it doesn't matter if you are buddies you will be held accountable.

Mmmmm, Peterson had the exact same stats as Green last year.

Cut throat or collusion?

Le Kevin Smith was awesome in Denver, we didn't need that 5th rounder at all.

Br0nc0Buster
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd just like to point out that Kenny Peterson had the exact same stats as Jarvis Green and i'm pretty sure we just replaced a vet making the minimum and paid his equal a 4 yr, 20 million contract with 7.5 million up front.

This deal stinks like the Lonnie Paxton one. We're replacing guys just to replace them with "yes" men. Hardly getting better.

Offseason grade will come down to Jamal William's signing. If he's healthy and contributing, it will look solid. Green and Bannan are part time players.

wtf are you talking about
Green > Peterson, but I guess 3-4 linemen are all about stats...
Peterson was not good last year
Green was a good pass rusher for New England, just isnt an everydown type
And Bannon is not just a part time player, he is good and will play just as much as any other lineman

DivineLegion
03-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I would agree with the above statement if our Run Defense did not falter as bad in the second half of the season. Don't get me wrong man I like Kenny Petterson but our D-line wore into a seive by seasons end. The Pats were 13th against the run while the Broncos were 26th, theres a reason we went after starting Defensive linemen from three of the top 3-4 defenses in the NFL over the past 6 years.

I find it interesting how Josh drafts and its deffinitly going to take more than one year to recognize a trend, however I think he goes with a mentor philosophy. Last season we went out and picked up Renaldo Hill, Andre Goodman, and Brian Dawkins. Then we turned around and drafted Darcel McBath, David Bruton, and Alphonso Smith. This season we went out and picked up Jamal Williams, Bannan, and Green...I'm hoping with the depth of D-Linemen in this draft we see a similar building menatlity.

I think we go heavy on the D-line in the second and third round. BPA in the first.

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2010, 08:55 PM

Cut throat or collusion?

thing about Green is he put up the same stats as Peterson while being used in a big time rotation. Peterson was a starter and the 2nd half of the season was quite possiby the worst of our DL players

cutthemdown
03-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Early cuts like this often because the coach really likes the player. Let's Peterson look for a good contract and team/situation. Then he can always maybe take a bkup role in denver for the vet min if nothing pans out.

When a team is heartless they let him grind out the offseason program, preseason, only to get cut at the end after they have used his body to beat up on.

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Smith and Holliday are both free agents. I'm relatively sure we'll resign them both at some point.

Ehhh... Kansas City is actually looking to sign Smith, so I wouldn't bet on that.

Holliday, I don't know if we'll sign due to his age. He doesn't stop the run the way he used to, even though he was great at getting to the QB last season, and caused 2 fumbles. His leadership is also awesome... bleh, if he retires I'd try to get him coaching for us.

We just don't have room for another DL though without cutting another DL or somewhere else.

bpc
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
wtf are you talking about
Green > Peterson, but I guess 3-4 linemen are all about stats...
Peterson was not good last year
Green was a good pass rusher for New England, just isnt an everydown type
And Bannon is not just a part time player, he is good and will play just as much as any other lineman

He had one sack last year. Two the year before. It's been three years since he's been relevant statistically. He's 31 years old.

We just paid a boatload of money for a guy that contributed as much as to the Pats as Peterson did for the Broncos.

Sorry, I don't qualify this as a good buy. It's a poor waste of money and not an obvious upgrade. He's your guy though... prove his skills.

Bannon got to play because of injuries this year. I'm a CU fan, but Justin isn't a overwhelming option for us. He's a Mike Lodish, grinder type, who will be a rotational player in Denver. We already seem to have a bunch of those types.

Florida_Bronco
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Ehhh... Kansas City is actually looking to sign Smith, so I wouldn't bet on that.

Holliday, I don't know if we'll sign due to his age. He doesn't stop the run the way he used to, even though he was great at getting to the QB last season, and caused 2 fumbles. His leadership is also awesome... bleh, if he retires I'd try to get him coaching for us.

We just don't have room for another DL though without cutting another DL or somewhere else.

New England was also looking to resign him too, and I'd be pretty surprised if we haven't at least been in contact with him and Holliday both.

bpc
03-10-2010, 09:19 PM
thing about Green is he put up the same stats as Peterson while being used in a big time rotation. Peterson was a starter and the 2nd half of the season was quite possiby the worst of our DL players

You can argue whatever you like, but they both started about 12-13 games and had similar stats.

Peterson was in a big rotation last year. I don't know of a team that subbed more than Nolan's Broncos.

Peterson made vet minimum. Green is 31, two years since being relevant as a defenders and just got a 4 yr 20 million dollar contract with 7.5 million upfront. I can't think of a worse way to spend money. He's probably a rotational player and not much of an impact player based on his own statistics.

outdoor_miner
03-10-2010, 09:25 PM
We're replacing guys just to replace them with "yes" men. Hardly getting better.

You can't be serious. I suppose I can understand your concern with Green's contract and whether or not he is an upgrade, but all you guys were complaining about Peterson being a "yes man" all last year. He was Josh's high school friend, and was always one of the guys who met with the media (particularly at the beginning of the year).

But now, in your fantasy world, he was kicked off because he was some sort of renegade, and Josh is taking him out to replace him with a "yes man". Wow.

outdoor_miner
03-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Bannon got to play because of injuries this year. I'm a CU fan, but Justin isn't a overwhelming option for us. He's a Mike Lodish, grinder type, who will be a rotational player in Denver. We already seem to have a bunch of those types.

Plus - Bannon is a total "yes man". I can see it in his eyes.

bpc
03-10-2010, 09:29 PM
You can't be serious. I suppose I can understand your concern with Green's contract and whether or not he is an upgrade, but all you guys were complaining about Peterson being a "yes man" all last year. He was Josh's high school friend, and was always one of the guys who met with the media (particularly at the beginning of the year).

But now, in your fantasy world, he was kicked off because he was some sort of renegade, and Josh is taking him out to replace him with a "yes man". Wow.

I actually thought Peterson was a solid rotational player. He's definitely not a starter. Sadly, neither is Green but he's getting paid like one.

bpc
03-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Plus - Bannon is a total "yes man". I can see it in his eyes.

I spoke generally on that one.

This is directed towards the Le Kevin Smith's, and the Lonnie Paxton's of the world.

Bannon is exactly what I thought Peterson was.... a solid rotational guy. Not a starter.

outdoor_miner
03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
I actually thought Peterson was a solid rotational player. He's definitely not a starter. Sadly, neither is Green but he's getting paid like one.

Fair enough. :)

I agree with you that he's the most questionable signing, and the guy I am least excited about. He sounds like Vonnie Holliday to me, who was much cheaper, and had a pretty darn good year last year.

~Crash~
03-10-2010, 09:43 PM

I seen smith is visting .. by the way he looked ike a big steaming turd when he played .

Florida_Bronco
03-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I seen smith is visting

Where did you see that? If so, that's a little quicker than I expected.

Br0nc0Buster
03-10-2010, 09:54 PM
He had one sack last year. Two the year before. It's been three years since he's been relevant statistically. He's 31 years old.

We just paid a boatload of money for a guy that contributed as much as to the Pats as Peterson did for the Broncos.

Sorry, I don't qualify this as a good buy. It's a poor waste of money and not an obvious upgrade. He's your guy though... prove his skills.

I thought we overpaid for Green, but that doesnt change the fact he is quite a bit better than Peterson
Green had to start last year because of the gap Seymour left, and that is not his strength.
Peterson was terrible against the run, and he is not as good at rushing the passer as Green, so Green is an upgrade since that was Green's specialty in New England. It is a risk because of his age but Jarvis has proven that he has the potential to be much more of a factor than Peterson.

And Ravens fans seem to be more complimentary of Bannan that you.
He is better than anyone on the roster now except a healthy Williams, our run game was atrocious at the end of the year. Bannan is known for being a very good run stuffer

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2010, 10:32 PM
You can argue whatever you like, but they both started about 12-13 games and had similar stats.

Peterson was in a big rotation last year. I don't know of a team that subbed more than Nolan's Broncos.

Peterson made vet minimum. Green is 31, two years since being relevant as a defenders and just got a 4 yr 20 million dollar contract with 7.5 million upfront. I can't think of a worse way to spend money. He's probably a rotational player and not much of an impact player based on his own statistics.

one reason I think we are going with Green over Peterson is versatility. Green has shown an ability to play anywhere on the line, DE and Nose, while in Peterson's case i don't recall him ever playing anything other than End in the 3-4.

strafen
03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
We're building a "win now" defense.
This is not a defense built for the long run. With aging players, comes quicker worn-outs.
It's a good program for the next couple of years, I just don't see the offense getting the same treatment, (urgency to get better) especially when we regressed in that department last year.

~Crash~
03-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Where did you see that? If so, that's a little quicker than I expected.

KC last night on NFL.net

Hulamau
03-10-2010, 11:30 PM

Because Peterson IS a friend of Josh, Josh obviously respects him and wants to give him the best shot with another team he can before the draft. But Josh wisely wasnt going to release him until he at least had locked up the three guys he wanted on the DLine in FA.

Smart decision all around.

Bronco Yoda
03-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I think after seeing what they have and need they realized Peterson doesn't warrant a starter's sallary even if it is a modest one. I think they'll cut him, let him look early for other options and if nothing than let him come back at a reduced rate.

agree. Josh did him a favor by letting him go early. That still must have been real awkward.

Florida_Bronco
03-10-2010, 11:42 PM
KC last night on NFL.net

I know he is supposed to be visiting the Chiefs. I thought you meant he was supposed to be back visiting in Denver.

Drek
03-11-2010, 03:34 AM
Peterson sucks this is a good move, makes me feel a little better about all the inside favoritism but we still need a qualified QB coach... well, and QB while I think of it.

You do know that we didn't even have a dedicated QB coach in '09 right? That Ben McDaniels position with the team is adding a person, not replacing one?

Josh McDaniels runs the offense, especially when it comes to coaching the QBs. McCoy (the OC) is basically his highly qualified assistant and Ben McDaniels is now McCoy's assistant. Its the same line of progression that Kyle Shanahan, Jeremy Bates, etc. all took into the NFL and Ben McDaniels has more coaching experience than all of them did when they first started out.

Cut throat or collusion?

That 5th rounder got us Le Kevin Smith and Russ Hochstein, the guy who started 10 games at LG for us last year when Hamilton showed that he was toast. I'd say thats pretty good value for a 5th round pick.

You should get your facts straight.

1. Peterson wasn't going to vie for a starting spot on anyones roster. Jarvis Green started much of last season in place of Richard Seymour for the Pats. He's not a great starter but he's a significant step up from Peterson as a rotational player and if asked to start he won't kill you.

2. His deal is $7.5M over the first two years, not up front. In effect its a 2 year, $7.5M deal, after which he'll likely be replaced just like Peterson. How is that some kind of monster deal?

3. People keep bitching about signing a long snapper who made all of $250K more than Mike Leach was getting paid. I don't get that at all. McDaniels wanted some known quantities for the locker room, $250K to know he's getting the kind of guy he wants for one roster spot is a pretty small drop in the bucket.

barryr
03-11-2010, 05:24 AM
It's not like Peterson will be hard to replace. He played hard for the team, so he'll be missed in that regard.

kappys
03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I liked Peterson from 2 years ago when him and Doom were the only D-lineman that didn't just completely give up going down the stretch. Great motor means he's easy to like but sadly the talent level just isn't there. He could be a solid rotational guy somewhere I think but we seem to have a lot of those guys on our roster now.

I also have to second Drek - why the hell do we keep talking about a long snapper than cost $250k?