PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Denver defense back on track

BMarsh615
03-10-2010, 07:01 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_14644211?source=rss

The Oh'Jays Justin, Jarvis and Jamal have ridden the Love Train into Denver.

The Broncos' reconstruction period continues to build momentum and build a contemporary team.

In one year, from March to March, Josh McDaniels has created a new regeneration at Dove Valley.

These are not your Shanahan's Broncos.

With the addition of Justin Bannan, Jarvis Green and Jamal Williams 18 feet, 9 inches high and 880 pounds wide the Broncos have a fresh starting defensive line.

Overall, the McDee-Fence has signed 17 free agents, drafted four players and changed three others to different positions.

The offense isn't so far behind. At least five, maybe more, of its 2010 starters will be McDaniels' Men.

And the college draft is still six weeks away.

It was pointed out here on Monday that the Broncos hadn't made much of a splash in the first few days of free agency. But McD and the X Man general manager Brian Xanders did a belly-buster on Tuesday, luring former Chargers nose tackle Williams and former Patriots defensive end Green to town to team with Bannan.

What's not to like especially when starters Ryan McBean, Kenny Peterson and Ronnie Fields, who wore down at last season's end, become alternate starters, and Marcus Thomas could be the seventh defensive end?

The potential linebacking corps of D.J. Williams, Elvis Dumervil, Mario Haggan and second-year outsider Robert Ayers backed by Wesley Woodyard, Mario Haggan, Andra Davis, Darrell Reid and Spencer Larsen will be helped considerably by a line that can stop the run.

The defensive backfield was shored up last season by free agents Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill and Andre Goodman, with kids Alphonso Smith, David Bruton, Darcel McBath and surprise Tony Carter. Of course, there is Champ.

New defensive coordinator Wink Martindale, who is not a game-show host, has to be drooling. He'll begin with the strongest defense in the division, one of the staunchest in the conference. The Broncos actually didn't get bigger on the line, but they did get better. There is a sign of hope.

For a short while it seemed as if some free agents didn't care for Denver what was their problem? but the Broncos caught the wave with Williams and Green. Did Josh take them to John Elway's and Mike Shanahan's restaurants?

Green was called New England's "Super Sub," but he could be a "Super Starter" at end for the Broncos as McDaniels reaches into his past again. Green's a find. Williams, who was a three-time Pro Bowler, could be a treasure. He was injured in the first game last year and didn't play again, but a triceps tear is not lasting. These are subjects, not projects.

Williams is what I call a twofer. He's no longer with the Chargers and is now with the Broncos, who have become a legitimate 3-4 defense with three defensive linemen who know the ways and means of the scheme.

McDaniels admitted to me last year he was late getting to the free-agent and draft party, but he obviously has a better grip on the state of affairs this year. The coach will turn 34 next month and won't be the new kid on the block any more.

The Broncos can shift their attention to the offense.

The center of attention is a center. They don't have even one.

Again, I'm believing Hank Fraley, who was cut by the Browns (by mistake), would be a pleasant pickup. Seth Ol-sen, drafted in the fourth round last year, will compete for the starting left guard spot and did practice at center, although McDaniels said that Olsen, in the shotgun, snapped several balls into outer space.

Thomas Jones, the special running back I recommended for the Broncos, signed Tuesday with the Chiefs, which is a shame. So the Broncos have to supplement their running back position with one more.

Yet, with the defensive line in place, McDaniels and Sanders can hone in on drafting young reserves at linebacker, cornerback, defensive end, tight end and on the offensive line (center and guard) and, at the top, wide receiver and quarterback.

The Broncos could make a major splash in the draft with Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant, the No. 1 wide receiver in the draft, in the first round and Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour in the second.

The Seahawks won't give up the sixth selection in the first round for Brandon Marshall, but might be negotiated into the later, 14th choice (from the Broncos) or multiple picks (second and fourth round), which would give the Broncos prime real estate to trade down, trade up.

The Broncos did much on Tuesday to improve the defense line with the Oh'Jays, but have much to do to improve the total "O."

BMarsh615
03-10-2010, 07:02 AM
I can't believe Woody Paige actually wrote a positive article about the Broncos. Kudos to him.:approve:

BMarsh615
03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Also I nice little comment from Jarvis Green's agent from another article.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_14644212?source=rss

"I can't speak for Josh I know he's taken a lot of heat, but what he's trying to bring in that locker room is a team, not a bunch of individuals," said Albert Elias, Green's agent. "All this stupid talk about uncapped year and nobody's spending money Denver's going to be a Super Bowl contender this year. They get it."

eddie mac
03-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Woody cant count lol. Those 3 weight more than 880 lb combined.

SureShot
03-10-2010, 07:52 AM
These are all great moves IMO as now we can draft BPA throughout the draft.

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Woody cant count lol. Those 3 weight more than 880 lb combined.

Yeah... I was scratching my head how a 350 NT and two DE's near/around 300 would be 880. I think it's closer to 945.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Woody's right, these are great moves. Really solid.

Now to build for the future!

bronco militia
03-10-2010, 08:40 AM
weeeeeeee! it's happy unicorn time again!

go woody go!

want2bAbronco2
03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I love the moves. Not going to be starters for years or anything, but can draft young guys to groom behind some solid players for 2-3 years.

bowtown
03-10-2010, 09:09 AM
The real question Woody, is have they visted DWill's grave yet?

SportinOne
03-10-2010, 09:23 AM
New defensive coordinator Wink Martindale, who is not a game-show host, has to be drooling. He'll begin with the strongest defense in the division, one of the staunchest in the conference.

These pickups were great, but come on.

Tombstone RJ
03-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Woody, for the most part, is generally way more positive about the Broncos than some of the other writers in Denver. Yah, he's a goof ball lush who doesn't put much thought into his pieces, but overall, he's a positive goof ball lush.

Cool Breeze
03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Nice fluff piece - I hope the signs are strong
I don't want Woody picking for us in the draft.

worm
03-10-2010, 09:52 AM

"I can't speak for Josh I know he's taken a lot of heat, but what he's trying to bring in that locker room is a team, not a bunch of individuals," said Albert Elias, Green's agent. "All this stupid talk about uncapped year and nobody's spending money Denver's going to be a Super Bowl contender this year. They get it."

Typically if the agents are agreeing with your moves...you might not be being the most fiscally responsible.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Typically if an agent agrees with you, you've got a new player.

Paladin
03-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Typically if the agents are agreeing with your moves...you might not be being the most fiscally responsible.

And you care why? Not your money.

StugotsIII
03-10-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm hoping the draft is offense heavy.

illbroncsfn
03-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Im just hoping that the 2010 NFL draft is Impact Player heavy for the Broncos...

Meck77
03-10-2010, 10:08 AM
It's about that time for some of you to get back on the Bronco bandwagon. Well that is if you haven't already become a skins fan. Ha!

worm
03-10-2010, 10:09 AM
And you care why? Not your money.

Put your pitchforks down ya'll. It was just an observation of the goals of agents. Jesus you ninnys are amazing. Look up my past comments. I like the move.

However to answer your specific question Paladin. I care because I like to look at the well-being of the entire team. I will be excited when we get good value for a trade\FA\draftee...and I will be disappointed when we don't. Not my money but it is my team. Not writing the checks doesn't mean that it isn't a reasonable metric to use when evaluating success.

If Green is effective as a nickle DE, ESPECIALLY in big games as he has done in the past, then I would say it was good value.

cousinal11
03-10-2010, 10:30 AM
weeeeeeee! it's happy unicorn time again!

go woody go!

Thats what she said.

Seriously though, referencing the OP, how do Ayers, DJ, Haggans, and DOOM all start? Isn't Haggans an OLB? Shouldn't it be DJ and Davis on the inside?

bronco militia
03-10-2010, 10:32 AM
It's about that time for some of you to get back on the Bronco bandwagon. Well that is if you haven't already become a skins fan. Ha!

ask again in the middle of November...

Houshyamama
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Are you judging this by your experience in negotiating actual real-life player contracts, or by the little text response you get from the agent when you make an offer in Madden? :welcome:

Houshyamama
03-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Thats what she said.

Seriously though, referencing the OP, how do Ayers, DJ, Haggans, and DOOM all start? Isn't Haggans an OLB? Shouldn't it be DJ and Davis on the inside?

That was my question as well when I read that.

Does he have Haggans at ILB? ROFL!

Put down the bottle Woody.

edit: THIS does sound good though:

Ayers, DJ, McClain, Doom

*WARHORSE*
03-10-2010, 11:53 AM
That was my question as well when I read that.

Does he have Haggans at ILB? ROFL!

Put down the bottle Woody.

edit: THIS does sound good though:

Ayers, DJ, McClain, Doom

McClain is a bust at the NFL level if you ask me.

Theres a reason he didnt perform at the combine, and dont be surprised to see him have a 'minor' injury at his pro day workout that either stops him from working out, or will have his agent saying, "Hes not 100% right now, but hes willing to give it a go for you to show you hes a competitior."

McClain is SLOW.

Theyre going to want people to draft him off game tape.

worm
03-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Are you judging this by your experience in negotiating actual real-life player contracts, or by the little text response you get from the agent when you make an offer in Madden? :welcome:

LOL. Hey its the Mane.

We are collectively experts on everything ranging from DUI legal negotiations, golf advice from just a few sentences of input, medical science, dream interpretation, quantum mechanics, religion, politics, women....

In fact I have yet to see a single topic that the Mane can't speak in absolute authority on in a matter of a few posts.

I figure I can contribute and be an expert on those times where an agent is very happy and lavishes praise on you. Given the fact that his #1 goal is to make the most money possible for his client.

misturanderson
03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Theyre going to want people to draft him off game tape.

I'd rather the Broncos draft people on game tape than on their combine performance. Having both would be nice, but on the field production in the SEC means a lot more than running fast and jumping high in spandex.

Archer81
03-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I'd rather the Broncos draft people on game tape than on their combine performance. Having both would be nice, but on the field production in the SEC means a lot more than running fast and jumping high in spandex.

Agreed. Production should come first. The combine results should help confirm what you see on tape. If it doesnt, should be a red flag or may require more research on that particular player.

:Broncos:

Hogan11
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM

He had me until then

*WARHORSE*
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Agreed. Production should come first. The combine results should help confirm what you see on tape. If it doesnt, should be a red flag or may require more research on that particular player.

Well, UPDATE: McClain did run, and he ran a hand timed 4.74.

In my book, that means he would have run slower at the combine cause hand timed times are 98% of the time faster.

Still want a LBer thats as slow as a DE?

BTW.....look at the game tape. The man is SLOW. No explosiveness whatsoever.

Archer81
03-10-2010, 12:35 PM

In my book, that means he would have run slower at the combine cause hand timed times are 98% of the time faster.

Does me make plays at MLB? Was he injured at all the last year that could have hampered his speed? Does he impact the game?

Tombstone RJ
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM

So was Karlos Dansby, remember, he couldn't move his hips...