PDA

View Full Version : Arrelious Benn (WR) at pick #45

ZONA
03-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Before I go into making a case for picking Benn, doing so would only be the scenario should BM sign with another team and thus giving us an extra 1st round pick. How high the pick is or if we traded down to acquire additional picks, well that's another story. I fully want and expect the Broncos to use their 2 first rounders to address the OL and DL.

But when we get to the 2nd round and pick #44 comes up, I believe this kid will be sitting there and it would be a great pick in my opinion.

Arrelious Benn (WR) - 6'2 225
College: Illinois

Benn didn't exactly have the greatest stats at Illinois but it was hardly his fault. The team went 3-9 his last season there so this is a guy where you have to dig deeper, past the stats, to find out what he could bring to an NFL team.

Strength: NFL body, plays angry and aggressive, strong hands, talented route runner who can make quick cuts, fantastic YAC ability, can run the end-around, can return kicks, can catch balls over the middle, top notch blocking for a WR. Very strong, putting up 20 reps at the combine. Can make an immediate impact in the NFL on special teams with his combination of strength, speed and agressive mentality. Does not fear contact and really put it to many of the Safeties and Cornerbacks at the combine. A fantastic and powerful athelete.

Weakness: Limited statistical production, lacks top notch straight-line speed.

40 Time: 4.48 seconds

Summary: Many reports have Benn listed as a late 1st or high 2nd round pick, but do to some slips and dropped passes at the combine, along with his limited stats, he might fall to the middle or lower 2nd round. While he may not be what some consider an electric, dazzling or flashy WR, he certainly brings some other intagibles and has a more well rounded complete game then alot of other WR's in this draft. He is what many like to refer to as "a football player".

My Take: I see this guy as a perfect fit in McD's system. A talented WR who will do anything for you. Has the size and power to be an excellent blocker and won't be easily pushed or jammed by the larger CB's or Safeties. He has tremoundous YAC skills and quick or bubble screens to him would be right up his alley. While he doesn't have amazing straight ahead speed, he does have good speed and cuts very sharp and combining that with his size and power, I fully expect he could create separation and get open. We all know the failure rate of drafting WR's in the 1st round so getting this type of guy in the 2nd round, I think would be a nice move. And you just gotta love a WR that has arms and legs like he has and can still run in the 4.4 range, and he can return kicks/punts so he could contribute right away on special teams as he learns the offense.

http://members.cox.net/azhelton/images/Benn.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azhelton/images/ncf_g_abenn1_600.jpg

Watch the whole thing, you will love the play at the end.

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/99YXtr4teGs&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

Alright - let the flame wars begin, lol.

Baba Booey
03-10-2010, 12:39 AM
If Marshall were to sign elsewhere I'd love to take this kid at 44. I'd be real pissed if he were there and we let him slide.

SoCalBronco
03-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Juice Williams didn't do him any favors this past year.

Baba Booey
03-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Yeah. He wasn't the problem, it was his supporting cast.

Drek
03-10-2010, 03:19 AM
Like I said when I took him for the Rams in the OM Mock draft, he reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin.

Attacks the ball wit his hands, then looks up field and attacks the opposing secondary. The only big problem with him is his lack of polish on route running. He's a willing blocker with solid fundamentals there from what I've seen and he's the only guy who gives Dez Bryant a run for his money in this class as far as catching the ball away from his body and going up to get it when needed, but he's very inconsistent on his routes.

I think he'd be a great fit for us if he's there in the 2nd round assuming Marshall has moved on. We'd probably want him to take a reduced role his first year behind Gaffney while he gets that extra bit of polish to his game, but then he should be poised to break out as a sophomore replacing Gaffney on the short to intermediate routes we fed Marshall the ball on all this past season. Hopefully by then we've developed an offense with a legit deep threat and brought Royal's performance back up to '08 standards or better with him working out of the slot.

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Like I said when I took him for the Rams in the OM Mock draft, he reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin.

Attacks the ball wit his hands, then looks up field and attacks the opposing secondary. The only big problem with him is his lack of polish on route running. He's a willing blocker with solid fundamentals there from what I've seen and he's the only guy who gives Dez Bryant a run for his money in this class as far as catching the ball away from his body and going up to get it when needed, but he's very inconsistent on his routes.

I think he'd be a great fit for us if he's there in the 2nd round assuming Marshall has moved on. We'd probably want him to take a reduced role his first year behind Gaffney while he gets that extra bit of polish to his game, but then he should be poised to break out as a sophomore replacing Gaffney on the short to intermediate routes we fed Marshall the ball on all this past season. Hopefully by then we've developed an offense with a legit deep threat and brought Royal's performance back up to '08 standards or better with him working out of the slot.

in theory with a decent TC and if he has that desire to learn from the vets and get better, there would be no reason why we couldn't trot out a starting trio of receivers with Gaffney and Benn wide and Royal working from the slot.

and when we bring in a TE and have only 2 WR on the field make those guys Gaffney and Royal

long beach bronco
03-10-2010, 04:27 AM
He looks real good in orange, doesn't he?

Cool Breeze
03-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Damn Good!

broncswin
03-10-2010, 05:25 AM
kid looks the part...he looks like a beast out there...I do agree, this kid would look great on our team...thumbs up

Chief Macho
03-10-2010, 05:51 AM
I don't see him being available at that pick. He is a prospect.

cmhargrove
03-10-2010, 06:21 AM
Just a point of order - Brandon Marshall isn't really a "great" route runner. His strength is catching the difficult catches in traffic and YAC. Sometimes, Brandon even lets himself get beat on slants when he's frustrated.

High character, hard working athletes. Keep 'em coming and we'll have a great team. However, the Guard and Center positions seem the most important to me. Give Orton another second in the pocket and our intermediate passing game will look much better, even if we were starting Gaffney and Royal.

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Just a point of order - Brandon Marshall isn't really a "great" route runner. His strength is catching the difficult catches in traffic and YAC. Sometimes, Brandon even lets himself get beat on slants when he's frustrated.

High character, hard working athletes. Keep 'em coming and we'll have a great team. However, the Guard and Center positions seem the most important to me. Give Orton another second in the pocket and our intermediate passing game will look much better, even if we were starting Gaffney and Royal.

agreed. if a QB has protection he will make due with any receiver he has. look at Indy. Peyton's line gives him time to run through his reads and make good throws. He turned 2 late round guys last season into pretty damn good receivers.

illbroncsfn
03-10-2010, 06:51 AM
I am an Illini season ticket holder- ever since "Rejus" Benn arrived in Champaign as a freshman it has been readily apparent that he is "Sunday-good."

Nice young man, says the right things, works hard, but tends to suffer from what one may describe as "bad luck"- seems as if he is constantly getting nicked up, rolling ankles, suffering head shots-being concussed....

You can not be a "Prime-time" player if you are not on the field..... I would rather address our o-line than draft Arrelious Benn at #44- I just believe that we would receive better value at that pick....

TonyR
03-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Personally I don't want to see any of our top 3 picks used on a WR or RB as some here are advocating. I'm hoping we go some combo of DL, OL, and LB with those picks unless somebody really drops that we can't pass up, particularly at the QB position. I want this team to start developing some youth for the trenches.

illbroncsfn
03-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Juice Williams didn't do him any favors this past year.

And yes that is very true. Juice struggled completing swing passes...

Bigdawg26
03-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Thats my favorite receiver in the draft. I would love to get him in the second now that we have our d-line solidified!

Crashman44b
03-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Good find. If the kid went to USC or Texas he would prolly be in the top 15 or better

dbfan21
03-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Pretty good looking WR. Size, speed, able to break tackles. This is someone I could see us spending a 2nd on.

want2bAbronco2
03-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Ive looked at this kid a few times and would really like him. Good post, and would love to see him continue wearing orange!

want2bAbronco2
03-10-2010, 07:50 AM
for not having "elite" top speed, you see him making lots of 30+ yard plays, and kicks it into gear to get past people really quick.

meangene
03-10-2010, 07:51 AM
I agee that the second round is about right for us to look for a receiver if Marshall is gone. I don't think Benn will be there when we pick, however. He is arguably the second best receiver in this draft and no worse than third. I do think there will be some good value at receiver when we pick in the second and could see us going that route. Price from Ohio could be a sleeper.

UberBroncoMan
03-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Honestly I'd like to see us get a 6'4 - 6'5 WR with good hands, good YAC capabilities and a super hard work ethic to replace Marshall. (pretty much sounds like another Marshall... only a harder work ethic)

Arrelious didn't really impress me that much in the video. I saw people bringing him down easy, at the beginning especially.

The ending one was really good though.

Remember too... this is college. The angles and tackling at the next level increases substantially.

DBroncos4life
03-10-2010, 08:25 AM
He is being compared to Braylon Edwards. In fact walterfootball.com calls him Edwards 2.0 because he drops a lot of passes. I would rather draft this weapon in the second round....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqHZjHonAqQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqHZjHonAqQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He would be awesome in the bubble screen O.

crush17
03-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Benn will not be available at 44.

Fusionfrontman
03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Great points on both side of the arguement. He does remind me of Boldin a lot but I will say this, he does have a secon gear for a guy running 4.48. After he catches it, he tends to flat out fly. He does remind me a little of Marshall where his route running is not great, and excels at yards after the catch, which makes me continue to say, do everything to KEEP BM since he is proven and all of these prospects that have a similiar build as BM, and compare to him have not done anything while Marshall has!

Either way, I don't think we can spend a 2nd on him, but if he fell to the 3rd I'd be very temped. VERY. Great post.

BTW... Benn has a SICK stiffarm. Guy was hurting people out there.

TheDave
03-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Kid looks good, but unless we get a center in FA were are going to be forved to use #44 on one of the top guys.

Baba Booey
03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
He is being compared to Braylon Edwards. In fact walterfootball.com calls him Edwards 2.0 because he drops a lot of passes. I would rather draft this weapon in the second round....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqHZjHonAqQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqHZjHonAqQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah Mardy is definitely someone to look at as well.

There will definitely be some good value at #44 as far as wideouts are concerned. I'd rather go with a bigger guy like Benn, Thomas, Briscoe, or Decker though.

Cool Breeze
03-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Now that guy has some skills, and serious speed!:strong:

Requiem
03-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Thomas and Decker have foot injuries and shouldn't be valued that highly unless they can perform and prove healthy by the draft. Briscoe is borederline a top ten receiver in this draft. I'd choose about 7 or 8 guys over him, and not all of them are valued that high.

Baba Booey
03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Thomas and Decker have foot injuries and shouldn't be valued that highly unless they can perform and prove healthy by the draft. Briscoe is borederline a top ten receiver in this draft. I'd choose about 7 or 8 guys over him, and not all of them are valued that high.

I should rephrase; in general I hope we go with a bigger WR if we get rid of Marshall, but not necessarily at 44. Benn is the only guy I'd take at 44, maybe Thomas if he bounces back by the draft.

DBroncos4life
03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Yeah Mardy is definitely someone to look at as well.

There will definitely be some good value at #44 as far as wideouts are concerned. I'd rather go with a bigger guy like Benn, Thomas, Briscoe, or Decker though.

I think you are talking about Demaryius Thomas when you say Thomas right? While I think he is my favorite WR in the class I'm very worried about his route running. I think he is very talented but I don't think he got anything in terms of coaching from his time at GT. Then there is his foot issue. I can almost see him falling to the 5th round, but I'm no expert.
Gilyard on the other hand might end up being the most productive WR in this class. I honestly don't see him falling past the Panthers in the 2nd round but if he does and he is there when we pick at 44 I would be very upset if we didn't crab him.
His abilities on SP team alone would make him worth the pick. Way better value for our team then Spiller. The thing I like about this draft is that there are a number of very talented return guys. That is why I'm so torn on what to pick at 11. Spiller makes very little sense to me. Williams while talented seems like a reach. For the first time I can say that I would lean towards going away from the norm and drafting a OG like Mike Iupati at 11. While I think it's a reach as well I just think of how well Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson dominated the run game together. I think we would have something very similar with Clady and Iupati. Anyways here is another video of Gilyard. Watch his return game. Very impressive.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PvqmQwTYP3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PvqmQwTYP3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Kid looks good, but unless we get a center in FA were are going to be forved to use #44 on one of the top guys.

i'm hoping Pouncey falls.

Requiem
03-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Walton or Tennant over Pouncey, he is overrated.

DBroncos4life
03-10-2010, 09:19 AM
i'm hoping Pouncey falls.

I think we could make do with Eric Olsen, Matt Tennant, or if we are lucky and some how J.D. Walton fell to us in the third round.

ZONA
03-10-2010, 10:03 AM
I think we could make do with Eric Olsen, Matt Tennant, or if we are lucky and some how J.D. Walton fell to us in the third round.

Walton will be there in the 3rd. There's just too many good skills players in this draft, which will push the centers down some.

If BM signed elsewhere, and we got a top 15 pick for him, I would not be upset one bit if the 1st part of our draft looked something like this.

11) Rolando McClain
15) Mike Iupati
45) Arrelious Benn
80) JD Walton

iforgotmypassword
03-10-2010, 10:16 AM
he's definately got football speed

KillerBronco#76
03-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Benn may end up being the best receiver in the draft, Hardly ever got to play at 100%, played in most games in a limited role even if injured. i remember him playing through a disolcated shoulder for a while though so toughness isn't the issue... \

Good leader and he was the hardest working player on the team. Reeks of unreached potential, will develope into into a #1 receiver.

Don't know how he got a reputation for dropping passes i never noticed it being a problem.

Let me put it this way... He is as good a Wide Receiver as Mendenhall is a Running back.

Sadly I just don't see him lasting to 45, he has too much talent along with intangibles.

chaz
03-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Great points on both side of the arguement. He does remind me of Boldin a lot but I will say this, he does have a secon gear for a guy running 4.48. After he catches it, he tends to flat out fly. He does remind me a little of Marshall where his route running is not great, and excels at yards after the catch, which makes me continue to say, do everything to KEEP BM since he is proven and all of these prospects that have a similiar build as BM, and compare to him have not done anything while Marshall has!

Either way, I don't think we can spend a 2nd on him, but if he fell to the 3rd I'd be very temped. VERY. Great post.

BTW... Benn has a SICK stiffarm. Guy was hurting people out there.

Yeah, we have to save our second rounder for CJ Spiller. And maybe we'll look at Pouncey or Iupati in the fourth.

Cool Breeze
03-10-2010, 12:04 PM

yup
we need a free agent center.

bombay
03-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I'd rather have Benn than Bryant anywhere in the draft. Think Steve Smith.

ZONA
03-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah, we have to save our second rounder for CJ Spiller. And maybe we'll look at Pouncey or Iupati in the fourth.

I'm guessing that is sarcastic. No way we take a RB with our 2nd pick.

The MVPlaya
03-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Nice video on Mardy and what he's been through

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hq-videos/09000d5d8168a5d2/Combine-bio-Mardy-Gilyard

chaz
03-11-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm guessing that is sarcastic. No way we take a RB with our 2nd pick.

Yessir. I thought the quoted line ("Either way, I don't think we can spend a 2nd on him [Benn], but if he fell to the 3rd I'd be very temped. VERY.") was adequately ridiculous to deserve a little sarcasm.

ZONA
03-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Yessir. I thought the quoted line ("Either way, I don't think we can spend a 2nd on him [Benn], but if he fell to the 3rd I'd be very temped. VERY.") was adequately ridiculous to deserve a little sarcasm.

I know huh. If he's still there at #80 in the 3rd round (which would NEVER happen in real life) Fusionfrontman would only be tempted. Oh wait, Very Tempted, let's get that straight. That's funnier the hell right there. That's like saying if Iupati was still there when we select in the 2nd round that we should only be "tempted".

LOL