PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Mock Draft (Post Bannan/Green/Williams Signings)

Carmelo15
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
The Broncos have really stepped it up in addressing our most glaring need. We got 3 upgrades along the defensive line. I know these guys aren't the youngest, but it does upgrade our line to the point where we won't need to rely on any IMMEDIATE help at d-line in the draft.

Now that we've addressed our biggest need in free agency, we will be able to focus on our other most glaring need through the draft: interior offensive line.

Normally, high quality interior offensive lineman can often be found in rounds 2 & 3. But every few years there is a guard or center that is so good, that they have late first round value. If a G or C is drafted in the first round they are truely an elite prospect. In the 2010 pro bowl, 4 of the 6 guards were drafted in the first round. I'm going to assume we keep all of our RFA's (even Marshall, for now). So here is how we get those guys with some McXanders wheeling and dealing:

*Trade Down: #11 to Pittsburgh for #18 and #52. Rolando McClain was sitting there at #11. I would have been happy with that pick. But the Steelers wanted him enough to jump in front of Miami.

18. Mike Iupati - OG - Idaho Iupati can step in immediately at LG. He's a great run blocker and will really help us run up the middle. He and Ryan Clady become our left 'side of mashin potatoes' for years to come.

*Trade Up: #45 and #80 to New York Jets for #29. The Jets are very thin on draft picks this year. They consider Arrelious Benn at 29, but decide to move down and stockpile some picks.

29. Maurkice Pouncey - C - Florida Maurkice is also good enough to step in and start from day one. The Broncos biggest hole is now at C. They make a move and get the best draft prospect at that position in years. He is a smart player and a great all-around blocker.

52. Dexter McCluster - RB/WR/KR/PR - Ole Miss McCluster is just a playmaker. He can step in immediately on offense and contribute as a 3rd down back and slot receiver. He could also motion line up with Knowshon and take our Wild Horses formation to another level. McDaniels would have so much fun coming up with ways to use his new toy on offense. But he would make perhaps the biggest impact for us as our new return man. He is a football player with great game speed that shows on tape. He's not a track star I don't put much stock into his 40 time.

111. Javier Arenas - CB - Alabama - Arenas is one of my favorite players in this draft. He is a tough aggressive corner that could develop into a very good starter for this defense in a year or two. His injury at the combine really hindered him from raising his stock. The Broncos reap the benefits.

*Trade Up: The Broncos trade their 6th and 7th round picks to move up into the bottom of the 5th round.

152. Zac Robinson - QB - Oklahoma State - McDaniels moves up once again to grab a late round QB prospect. Robinson looked like the best QB at the Senior Bowl in my opinion, so this would be a solid move. If Kyle Orton doesn't step up in 2010, Robinson may have the opportunity to battle Brandstater for the starting spot in 2011. Being a hometown kid will make me want to root for the QB from Chatfield HS.

Whether he beats him out or not, the QB will have great tools to succeed. With Iupati and Pouncey, this offensive line is set. A Clady-Iupati-Pouncey-Kuper-Harris front could be dominant for the next decade. Along with weapons like weapons like Moreno, McCluster, Marshall & Royal.

no-pseudo-fan
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I am starting to think Spiller might be the pick. You never know.

want2bAbronco2
03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Not bad. Really love getting bigger on Oline and will be able to run the ball on 3rd and short/goalline. I still think our biggest need is Center/ILB though. would rather take a Witherspoon with our first pick.

Carmelo15
03-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Not bad. Really love getting bigger on Oline and will be able to run the ball on 3rd and short/goalline. I still think our biggest need is Center/ILB though. would rather take a Witherspoon with our first pick.

Really thought hard about puting Brandon Spikes as the pick at 52

mattob14
03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't know, as much as I like the DL signings, I don't think we can just ignore DL in the draft. We need to get a second wave of young talent coming behind Williams, Bannon, and Green. I'm also not sold on Pouncey and still think we'll see either Hadnot or Mawae signed to hold down the C position for the immediate future. I'm not sure we need two 1st round OL with Clady, Kuper, Olson, and Harris as likely starters this year.

BroncoMan4ever
03-09-2010, 07:57 PM

no chance in hell. with as much emphasis as is being placed on adding size and strength to the team, I can't see us wasting a 1st round pick on a guy who likely will basically be Reggie Bush lite.

BroncoMan4ever
03-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Really thought hard about puting Brandon Spikes as the pick at 52

Spikes has to be pissed at not coming out last year. last season he would have gone top 20 and this year he is at best a mid 2nd rounder.

no-pseudo-fan
03-09-2010, 08:08 PM
no chance in hell. with as much emphasis as is being placed on adding size and strength to the team, I can't see us wasting a 1st round pick on a guy who likely will basically be Reggie Bush lite.

I am not saying that it is the way I would go. I am saying that Josh is unpredictable. You never know.

no-pseudo-fan
03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Spikes has to be pissed at not coming out last year. last season he would have gone top 20 and this year he is at best a mid 2nd rounder.

I don't understand why people talk these MLB's down. They talked down Rey and Laurenitis(spelling?) last year. This year it is McClain and Spikes.

The draft should be able taking the best players, not who looks great in shorts because if that is the case she might slip into the first round
http://lh4.ggpht.com/takwachan/R-8aAy9BaII/AAAAAAAAAY8/He6xnDQzs6E/HwangMiHee5.jpg

gyldenlove
03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't understand why people talk these MLB's down. They talked down Rey and Laurenitis(spelling?) last year. This year it is McClain and Spikes.

The draft should be able taking the best players, not who looks great in shorts because if that is the case she might slip into the first round
http://lh4.ggpht.com/takwachan/R-8aAy9BaII/AAAAAAAAAY8/He6xnDQzs6E/HwangMiHee5.jpg

Athleticism, guys like Maualuga and Laurenaitis have relatively low ceilings for how good they can be, same for Demeco Ryans and Pozlusny.

Mcclain still needs to work out at his pro day before any decisions will be made, Spikes is not athletic enough to be the dominant ILB like a Patrick Willis.

no-pseudo-fan
03-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Athleticism, guys like Maualuga and Laurenaitis have relatively low ceilings for how good they can be, same for Demeco Ryans and Pozlusny.

Mcclain still needs to work out at his pro day before any decisions will be made, Spikes is not athletic enough to be the dominant ILB like a Patrick Willis.

I get the whole High floor vs High Ceiling argument. I am one who prefers higher floor.

Carmelo15
03-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Man she got a pancake booty. I would spend no more than a 4th rounder on her

Bronco Boy
03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I like the Arenas pick. The rest I don't know.

Mediator12
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM

It is not people talking them down, its their film. They look all world on the highlight reels, but then you put the tape on to find out WHY they look all world and there are issues with how their game translates to the NFL. Its not how well they played in college that matters, its how well they will play on Sundays.

Plus, ILB is not a strong first round pull in the new passing NFL. Guys like Rey and other Mikes coming out have to have 3 down potential to be first round picks or you just spent a first rounder on a guy who will miss 50% of the defenses snaps watching the Nickel LB's.

As for Spikes and McClain, they do have some holes in their armor to boot. Both are not as instinctual as their "internet" profiles would lead you to believe. They take way to many false steps and overrun toomany plays to get a first round mental grade from me. All that, despite being the focal point of both defenses Gap control.

BroncoMan4ever
03-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I get the whole High floor vs High Ceiling argument. I am one who prefers higher floor.

i agree. a guy with a high floor is great, because in theory it means he will never be terrible. he is going to be a solid player. but with a high ceiling guy, they are usually the guys with the higher rate of being busts.

BroncoMan4ever
03-09-2010, 09:17 PM

i am going to need a private workout with this potential pick, and after a few hours of hard work hammering out the details i will decide if she would be worth the pick

NFLBRONCO
03-09-2010, 09:29 PM

I'd be ok with it if he is BPA because he has speed. I doubt even Josh would do that 2 yrs in a row though. Its tough paying that much coin on one position.

_Oro_
03-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Nice draft but I don't think this is the McD way. McD will bring in some oline free agents before the draft. He'll try to fill as many holes as possible in free agency then come draft time he's free to pick his BPA guys off his small board.

bpc
03-10-2010, 06:50 AM
I haven't spent enough time worrying about who we are going to draft this year because I'm sure i'll just be kicked in the dong like last year. Rolando McClain, while talented, just makes me want to puke by his effort as he sache's around the field, jogging from one pileup to the next. Plus, wearing the #25 as a MLB must make him stupid too. Ray Nitschke, he is not.

I'm okay with the trench reinvestment act, but now I don't see us looking at Dan Williams as much with Jamal around for 3 years. It would be incredibly ignorant for us to disregard the position with two aging vets at NT, as now is the perfect time to get a young stud on the front line that can learn from one of the best in the NFL... but unfortunately this is what I see happening now.

I love Gerald McCoy but he's a pipe-dream at #11. I thought Derrick Morgan could be a stud, but i've cooled on him since watching more of him during the bowl games. Thankfully there is depth on the DL in round 2, should we decide to go in that direction.

I'm coming around to thinking I might like Trent Williams on the OL in round 1. Nothing about his game screams polished, superstar player, but he's got some size, versatility and he's played numerous spots for the Sooners in the clutch over the past couple years. He started last year at LT, ended up at center and I liked what I saw. His athletic ability from what I read and saw were off the charts at the combine as he finished in the top 5 for most of the explosive movements (40, verticle, BJ, 20yd shuttle). 23 reps with 225 isn't anything to write home about but that's also part of the appeal. He's far from a finished product, and at 315lbs, he can easily add weight and strength and it shouldn't affect his agility.

I love Brandon Graham but I think he's like Doom, but worse in space. I don't know if you can have two OLB's like that. It sounds crazy but I think he could be a hell of a Greg Kragen like NT if he put a few more pounds on. Probably won't fly as lite NT's are the devil now a' days. With his quickness, strength and 1st step, I'd just love to put him as close to the QB as possible and let him do his thing.

I'm in love the potential of Jason Pierre-Paul. I don't think he loves football but he has the ability to be a HUGE difference maker at the OLB spot. If he ever gets football, or attempts to love the physicality of it, he'll be a dominant player in the 3-4.

There's a few others I really like: Golden Tate - WR, Kyle Wilson - CB, Bulaga - OT, Sean Witherspoon - ILB(not sure if he fits in the 3-4), and sadly, yes, i'll admit it, I think Taylor Mays would fit in the traditional mold of Orange Crush, in the box safeties, who will square you up and hit you in the jaw! I'm a sucker for those players.

Doggcow
03-10-2010, 10:28 AM
The biggest hole isn't center btw. It's in Jamal Williams' face.

ZONA
03-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Well if a team really wants a player (such as Iupati) and that player could go anywhere from 12 - 20, I don't think you risk moving down as far as you said (18). You could very well see somebody right in front of you get him. You move down maybe 4 spots to #15 and get Iupati there, if you really want him. If you'd like to have him but are ok with having him go in front of you, then by all means you can move down to #18 or even #20.

No way in hell I take a Center with a 1st round pick, I don't care if he put up 60 reps on the bench and wrestles with Lions just for the fun of it. There are quite a few good Centers that will be there in the 3rd, like JD Walton.

orinjkrush
03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
well, I'm sticking to my guns (at least for a while):

First Round: Pick 11: Dan Williams DT, put up or shut up with the DL already
Second Round: Pick 45 Demaryius Thomas WR, gotta have somebody out there
Third Round: Pick 80 Matt Tenant C, nobody on the horizon from inside the team
Fourth Round: 112 John Skelton QB, take a shot, give Brandentarter some heat
Fifth Round: 143 Jamar Chaney ILB, not bad size/speed
Sixth Round: 174 Trindon Holliday KR, need somebody back there besides Royal
Seventh Round: 205 Reggie Carter ILB, total insurance pick

Dedhed
03-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Spikes... last season he would have gone top 20 and this year he is at best a mid 2nd rounder.

Where he'll be an absolute steal, and I'm praying the Broncos can get him there.

Drek
03-13-2010, 04:06 AM

There is a consistent issue with all those LBs. None of them have sideline to sideline speed. They all pile other issues on top of their game, but ultimately that is what it comes down to.

As an ILB if you do not have sideline to sideline speed you're likely a two down back. When offenses stopped using the fullback to lead block defenses stopped needing a bulldozer to clear him out of the way.

Brandon Spikes will be an outstanding SILB in a 3-4 defense, but you don't pay a first round pick to get a two down player, unless you're on the verge and feel like he's the missing piece. Same reason Terrence Cody is sliding. He's a two down guy with no real potential to be anything else. Why give up huge value for someone who can't help you when its time to really end drives?

NFL defenses today are all about finishing opposing drives. That is why everyone wants a sack master at OLB or DE depending on scheme, shut down corners who can play on the island, and ball hawking safeties. Anyone who can end the opposition's possession on a single play.

This is also why Sean Weatherspoon will be the first LB taken in this class. He's shown the size and strength to play in traffic as well as the speed to range from sideline to sideline. He's easily the best pro prospect of all the LBs in this class.

bap454
03-13-2010, 12:22 PM
I think Weatherspoon is definately a player on the rise right now. He will be picked alot higher that people expect (hopefully at eleven). Mclain to me is a risky pick. Nothing exciting about him. Sure hes quick and athlectic but I just dont see that fire in him. He does seem to sache around the field alot, I thought I was the only one to see that. Not in the same mold as a PWillis, Rey Rey, or Al Wilson - all heart with a big thump.

gunns
03-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I love the upgrade on the OL but I don't think you can ignore defense at all as the signings we made aren't forever. I still think McD may go at least half defensive in the draft.

Carmelo15
03-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I didn't intend on ignoring the defense. Something tells me if I would have had Brandon Spikes in the 2nd round instead of McCluster I'd be getting a lot more love for this mock.

Cito Pelon
03-14-2010, 09:40 AM
That mock sounds ok to me.

mattob14
03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
I didn't intend on ignoring the defense. Something tells me if I would have had Brandon Spikes in the 2nd round instead of McCluster I'd be getting a lot more love for this mock.

I don't think that would make a huge difference, as your still not addressing the DL at all. Personally, I like the first proposed trade (11 for 18 and 52), but the move up for Pouncey just doesn't appeal to me. If you just left it with the original trade, I think Cam Thomas at #45 and, say, JD Walton at 80 would make this a much better draft.