PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Heading to Washington tomorrow until Sunday. The wife has a conference and I am tagging along. Has anyone been?

Looking for advice, what to see where to go, especially since there is so much to do...

I plan on speaking to this guy since I was laid off last week.

http://symonsez.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lincoln-memorial.jpg

Peoples Champ
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
did you say hey blincon?

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Bunch of great places...anything in particular you want to see?

I would recommend the monuments, Smithsonian (Air & Space, Natural History), Kennedy Center....How long you here?

Name the cuisine and I'll provide some recommendations too....

Archer81
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I grew up at Quantico. Spent a ton of time in DC. The Mall is fantastic. Natural History Museum, Smithsonian, the Monuments. Last time I was in DC they had just opened the Holocaust Museum, didnt get to see it though.

:Broncos:

Pick Six
03-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Heading to Washington tomorrow until Sunday. The wife has a conference and I am tagging along. Has anyone been?

Looking for advice, what to see where to go, especially since there is so much to do...

That stiff? Don't waste your time. He'll only give you a blank stare. You're better off talking your problems out with Bob...:clown:

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Bunch of great places...anything in particular you want to see?

I would recommend the monuments, Smithsonian (Air & Space, Natural History), Kennedy Center....How long you here?

Name the cuisine and I'll provide some recommendations too....

Wednesday, leave Sunday. Italian.

gtown
03-09-2010, 12:03 PM
You better get the monument and tourist attractions stuff done ASAP. The weather is supposed to suck the tail end of the week and into the weekend I heard.

TailgateNut
03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Spy museum, Old town Alexandria is nice, and if you have the time stop by and tell Barrack to get the ****ing aliens out of our country!

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Tailgate had a good one with the Spy Museum...

Old Town is great (if you do go there either Il Porto or Landini Bros) they are right near each other. Other wise OverWood or Bilbo Baggins works.....

In DC, I'd recommend:
Filomena in Georgetown my fav http://www.filomena.com/

Natedogg
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Library of Congress, Supreme Court and Capital. They're the 3 gems. All next to eachother and you can squease them all into a morning or afternoon if you're really on the ball.

if the weather's nice walk around all the monuments. (thats kinda a must) don't miss jefferson on korea, they're my favorites

WolfpackGuy
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Recessions and Bottom Line have pretty cheap drinks in central DC.

Check out Murphy's and O'Connell's on King Street if you make it to Old Town Alexandria.

Georgetown (M Street) has some pretty cool bars, but it's EXPENSIVE.

The landmarks are pretty close to each other. Get a room near the White House area.

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Recessions and Bottom Line have pretty cheap drinks in central DC.

Check out Murphy's and O'Connell's on King Street if you make it to Old Town Alexandria.

Georgetown (M Street) has some pretty cool bars, but it's EXPENSIVE.

The landmarks are pretty close to each other. Get a room near the White House area.

Murphy's is good, was never a fan of O'Connell's and want to add the Fish Market....good raw bar and schooners

ghwk
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Korean War Memorial at night--haunting
Holocaust museum is pretty disturbing too. If you waqnt to be bummed out for a few hours AFTER you leave that is the place to go. Aerospace museum is always good.

Binkythefrog
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I live here in the D.C. area. All of the popular stuff is pretty interesting, but here are a couple alternatives:

Favorite museum is the Newseum. A little pricey for admission but an amazing place.

I also really like the FDR memorial. A little off the beaten path and a little different as far as monuments go (more like a park rather than one building) but still close to all the monuments.

If you want bars depending on the crowd and your taste, you can try:

Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Chinatown
Penn Quarter Sports Tavern (Broncos bar)

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

Staying at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan National.

What is the transport like? The Metro right?

WolfpackGuy
03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Murphy's is good, was never a fan of O'Connell's and want to add the Fish Market....good raw bar and schooners

Oh, okay. I remember seeing it.

Is that Rocket Grill or whatever still on King?

The one time we went there we were FUGGED up!

El Guapo
03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Just moved here a month ago (from Texas), so just dropping by the thread so I can keep tabs and learn as well. :D

Binkythefrog
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
You are on the blue / yellow lines in a great location close train ride to everything.

Yellow close to downtown, take blue line south if you want to see Alexandria.

http://wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

ghwk
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Be sure to stop by and say hi to Marion Bradley, I hear he'll comp first time visitors with a few lines of blow.

El Guapo
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Penn Quarter Sports Tavern (Broncos bar)

Best tip yet, thanks. I guess they televise all the games there? The wife and I will be there every football Sunday! !Booya!

Binkythefrog
03-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Best tip yet, thanks. I guess they televise all the games there? The wife and I will be there every football Sunday! !Booya!

http://www.dcsportstavern.com/ordereze/Gallery/9/Photos.aspx

Check out these pics... lots of Broncos fans! I'm there occasionally, probably will run into you some time.

Went to the Broncos game here in D.C. this past season, Redskins fans are actually quite nice.

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all of the advice guys, it really helps!

peacepipe
03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Between D.C. & alexandria, I lived there for 14 yrs. be it old town or alexandria there are alot of great places to eat. A couple good places to take your wife would be Sequoias or Tony & Joes down on K street down the hill from M st.(goergetown) overlooks the potomac with a great view of watergate hotel,keybridge & the potomac river. D.C. is expensive. I haven't lived there since 2003 but the avg. beer cost about $6.

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 12:38 PM

you can ether Metro or taxi. DC and Old Town are pretty much equal distances from there. If you want to take it easy, there are a boat load of places to grab dinner at in CC.

Ruth's Chris, Bailey's Irish Pub, Morton's, M&S, or Jaleo (tapas)....

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh, okay. I remember seeing it.

Is that Rocket Grill or whatever still on King?

The one time we went there we were FUGGED up!

I don't remember the Grill but when we go there, it's typically to OverWood/Bilbo/or one of the Italian places. If it's just the guys, it Bilbo for Beers, Fish Market, then Murph's....

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Just moved here a month ago (from Texas), so just dropping by the thread so I can keep tabs and learn as well. :D

If you need any advice/suggestions....hit me up.

HILife
03-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Might want to start with this guy

http://blackchristiannews.com/news/images/President%2BObama_803_18984473_0_0_7024962_300.jpg

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Might want to start with this guy

http://blackchristiannews.com/news/images/President%2BObama_803_18984473_0_0_7024962_300.jpg

I didn't know he was responsible for the book industry being in the ****ter due to competition from amazon et al. Silly me.

El Guapo
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM

Check out these pics... lots of Broncos fans! I'm there occasionally, probably will run into you some time.

Went to the Broncos game here in D.C. this past season, Redskins fans are actually quite nice.

WOW. It's a bout a 30 mile drive, but that looks like it's worth it. What a beautiful sight. :yayaya:

If you need any advice/suggestions....hit me up.

Much appreciated.

HILife

Depends on what kind of things you like. Since you married your probably not a clubbing type. I like going to http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/?nid=top_gog. They sometimes have good suggestions on things to do and what's going on in the city.

Garcia Bronco

I don't think they do White House tours anymore, but those take time to setup anyway. Checkout the Smithsonian, NAtional Archives, Kennedy Space Musuem, and the Captial.

The Washington Monument is kinda lame, but you should go to the top if you can.

Lincoln and Jefferson memorials are okay, but if you have seen a picture of the lincoln you seen it. At the least the Jefferson has a kick ass view of the Potomac.

If you can sqeeuze down to MountVernon, that's an awesome tour.

enjoy your time sitting in traffic

HILife
03-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I didn't know he was responsible for the book industry being in the ****ter due to competition from amazon et al. Silly me.

I'm just say, he's the current President. Thought it made more sense to pick with one that's living. Also I was joking.

EDIT: grammer fail.

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm just say, he's the current President. Thought it made more sense to pick with one that's living. Also I was joking.

Sorry, mine was a Simpsons reference, and on here I assume people are being serious witht hings like that. No harm!

HILife
03-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Tailgate had a good one with the Spy Museum...

Old Town is great (if you do go there either Il Porto or Landini Bros) they are right near each other. Other wise OverWood or Bilbo Baggins works.....

In DC, I'd recommend:
Filomena in Georgetown my fav http://www.filomena.com/

Might have to check that out.

TailgateNut
03-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't think they do White House tours anymore, but those take time to setup anyway. Checkout the Smithsonian, NAtional Archives, Kennedy Space Musuem, and the Captial.

The Washington Monument is kinda lame, but you should go to the top if you can.

Lincoln and Jefferson memorials are okay, but if you have seen a picture of the lincoln you seen it. At the least the Jefferson has a kick ass view of the Potomac.

If you can sqeeuze down to MountVernon, that's an awesome tour.

enjoy your time sitting in traffic

No shiate. My father in law wanted us to moove to DC so we could be closer to the rest of my wifes family and all it took was one trip on the beltway to discourage me from EVER considering that option. What a ****ing nightmare!

HILife
03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Sorry, mine was a Simpsons reference, and on here I assume people are being serious witht hings like that. No harm!

No, prob. I remember that episode. Ok, that joke makes more sense now. lol.

FYI, I'm actual a Obama supporter, but usually stay away from all political talk on the Mane.

Archer81
03-09-2010, 01:00 PM
No shiate. My father in law wanted us to moove to DC so we could be closer to the rest of my wifes family and all it took was one trip on the beltway to discourage me from EVER considering that option. What a ****ing nightmare!

I-95, 495, 295...they all suck. We moved to Virginia after PA when I had my license. We were living at Quantico but I was working in Dale City...I ****ing hate that highway with a passion and its not even the damn beltway...

HILife
03-09-2010, 01:05 PM

HOLY ****!!!!!111!!111!!! I didn't even know there was a Broncos bar in the area!!! I HAVE to go when the season starts up again. It's been hard trying to see the Broncos game in VA.

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
FYI, I'm actual a Obama supporter, but usually stay away from all political talk on the Mane.

Smart man!

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2010, 01:09 PM

Damn right. I traveled there for business all the time from Richmond. Breeze in at 10 out by 1 with no lunch to beat all the traffic each way and that was no guarantee. To get out from fairokas I would take this way on down to the old lorton prison and catch 95 from there.

24champ
03-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I went to D.C at the worst possible time...the Summer. I visited the Vietnam memorial, Korean Memorial, Smithsonian, JFK's grave. It was very interesting trip, and puts things into perspective.

It was hot and extremely humid, all I know is the beverage vendors on the corners made a killing. Don't know how the locals put up with it.

TailgateNut
03-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Damn right. I traveled there for business all the time from Richmond. Breeze in at 10 out by 1 with no lunch to beat all the traffic each way and that was no guarantee. To get out from fairokas I would take this way on down to the old lorton prison and catch 95 from there.

Richmond, Va. Now that's the Armpit of Va. I think it actually beat out DC as murder capitol one or two years in a row.

HILife
03-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Richmond, Va. Now that's the Armpit of Va. I think it actually beat out DC as murder capitol one or two years in a row.

I got friends from Richmond. They say it's ruff down there.

HILife
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
you can ether Metro or taxi. DC and Old Town are pretty much equal distances from there. If you want to take it easy, there are a boat load of places to grab dinner at in CC.

{b}Ruth's Chris, Bailey's Irish Pub, Morton's, M&S, or Jaleo (tapas)[/b]....

What no Crystal City Resturant (CCR)? They even have live entertainment!

HILife
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I-95, 495, 295...they all suck. We moved to Virginia after PA when I had my license. We were living at Quantico but I was working in Dale City...I ****ing hate that highway with a passion and its not even the damn beltway...

parts of I-66 sucks too.

2KBack
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I went to D.C at the worst possible time...the Summer. I visited the Vietnam memorial, Korean Memorial, Smithsonian, JFK's grave. It was very interesting trip, and puts things into perspective.

It was hot and extremely humid, all I know is the beverage vendors on the corners made a killing. Don't know how the locals put up with it.

we do get a good 6 weeks of nice weather or so.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Like 20 years ago and not when I lived there. The king as far as I know these days is Camden, NJ.

NYBronco
03-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Some of our favorites we recommend would be the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum located on the grounds of Dulles airport, the Roosevelt Memorial, watching the changing of the guard at the The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and National Geographic Museum.

Enjoy your trip!

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I got friends from Richmond. They say it's ruff down there.

I lived in downtown Richmond from 01 to 06. It ain't tough down there...not like in the old days. Same with Norfolk, but the respective cities have cleaned up their DT areas. Richmond city council is still loaded with dumbasses though. There was that NY's Eve when that guy unloaded a full mag from an AK outside my place, but besides that nothing that isn't normal in any other small city.

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 01:50 PM

that's why I work 3 days a week from home...

HILife
03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I lived in downtown Richmond from 01 to 06. It ain't tough down there...not like in the old days. Same with Norfolk, but the respective cities have cleaned up their DT areas. Richmond city council is still loaded with dumbasses though. There was that NY's Eve when that guy unloaded a full mag from an AK outside my place, but besides that nothing that isn't normal in any other small city.

!!!!!

HILife
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM

lucky.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
!!!!!

Yep....into the air this drunk let his AK fly. I didn't even know what it was until I read the news the next day. No one was in any danger.

Binkythefrog
03-09-2010, 01:56 PM

I live in a tiny apartment close to the metro to avoid the traffic, its amazing how expensive rent can be for something reasonable anywhere close to D.C..

Where I work many people work 6:30 -3 just to avoid 495 traffic.

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 01:58 PM
lucky.

I am but I work more than my normal 8 hours from home....the time I would spend in traffic, I am in front of a monitor...it is nice though. About 3% of my sector get this privilege.

elsid13
03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Some great places that most folks recommend so far. I would do the newsuem over the spy museum. If you are staying in DC, recommend you head up to the China town and Verizon center for dinner. Lots of cool places up there now. Old Ebbitt Grill (<cite>www.ebbitt.com) is great place for food. Also contact your local rep from Congress to get a tour of the Capital.
</cite>

elsid13
03-09-2010, 02:03 PM

Crystal City Metro is right downstairs for you. Easy access to everything.

ElwayMD
03-09-2010, 02:25 PM
A great place to go since you'll be in NOVA (Northern Virginia) is in old town alexandria S Pitt Street. You can take the metro from the airport to King Street station and head to an Irish Pub called Pat Troys. Damn good food, good beer, and the owner is a hoot. He's an old Irish fella who usually always goes around and talks to his customers if there isn't a live performance of Irish folk music.

NFLBRONCO
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Let us know if you see Marshall while your there :)

ElwayMD
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Some great places that most folks recommend so far. I would do the newsuem over the spy museum. If you are staying in DC, recommend you head up to the China town and Verizon center for dinner. Lots of cool places up there now. Old Ebbitt Grill (<cite>www.ebbitt.com) is great place for food. Also contact your local rep from Congress to get a tour of the Capital.
</cite>

I was disappointed with the Old Ebbitt when I went there...maybe they were having an off day. The atmosphere was nice.

Archer81
03-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Let us know if you see Marshall while your there :)

What if he sees Shanahan at Potomac Mills?

elsid13
03-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I was disappointed with the Old Ebbitt when I went there...maybe they were having an off day. The atmosphere was nice.

You need to hit Wednesday night that seems to be the best time for the oysters and scenery

ElwayMD

If you live close enough to the DC metro area there are ways around having to tangle with the beltway. It took me some experimentation with roads but I manage to avoid 395 completely during rush hour. But it only works if you are in the Alexandria/Arlington area.

gtown

I love that place. Any time there is a major promotion on my team we go there. Good food too.

elsid13
What if he sees Shanahan at Potomac Mills?

Shanahan is Tyson Corner kinda of guy.

elsid13
03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I love that place. Any time there is a major promotion on my team we go there. Good food too.

The same guy that owns the Crystal City Sport Pub on 23rd owns that place. So Mondays is 1/2 price burger day.

ElwayMD
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
You need to hit Wednesday night that seems to be the best time for the oysters and scenery

I'll have to do that.

ElwayMD
03-09-2010, 02:32 PM

I don't know they aren't spending any money this off season...he might be a Landmark Mall kind of guy right now :)

ElwayMD
03-09-2010, 02:33 PM

We avoid the touristy areas during the summer if at all possible.

elsid13
03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know they aren't spending any money this off season...he might be a Landmark Mall kind of guy right now :)

Landmark is great because there never anyone there.

ElwayMD
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM

I convinced my buddy and his wife that the Crystal City Restaurant was good food. He took her there and she hasn't talked to me in over a year. Win win for me!

Archer81
03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I convinced my buddy and his wife that the Crystal City Restaurant was good food. He took her there and she hasn't talked to me in over a year. Win win for me!

Nicely played, sir.

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM

he's an Ashburn guy.....

elsid13
03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
he's an Ashburn guy.....

Yeah he might be

Have you ever been to 2941 Restaurant over in Falls Church?

HILife
03-09-2010, 03:53 PM
If you live close enough to the DC metro area there are ways around having to tangle with the beltway. It took me some experimentation with roads but I manage to avoid 395 completely during rush hour. But it only works if you are in the Alexandria/Arlington area.

Feel free to share your secrets.

HILife
03-09-2010, 03:55 PM

Get the hell out of here! When did they start selling food there?

HILife
03-09-2010, 03:59 PM

More like Tyson's Galleria. That place is so ridiculously expensive. Although, I do get suits from Jos A Bank, during their daily sells.

HILife
03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
The same guy that owns the Crystal City Sport Pub on 23rd owns that place. So Mondays is 1/2 price burger day.

lol, was suppose to go their last Monday with the co-workers, but plans changed the last minute. Maybe next Monday.

HILife
03-09-2010, 04:05 PM
i convinced my buddy and his wife that the crystal city restaurant was good food. He took her there and she hasn't talked to me in over a year. Win win for me!

lmao rofl!!!

elsid13
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
More like Tyson's Galleria. That place is so ridiculously expensive. Although, I do get suits from Jos A Bank, during their daily sells.

The Macy/old Hecht is the best place to buy suits there. When they have sells you can get top line suits (Harts Schaffer Marx) for 200 or so off.

elsid13
03-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Get the hell out of here! When did they start selling food there?

Since they started. CCR >>> better then Good Fellows in DC

HILife
03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
The Macy/old Hecht is the best place to buy suits there. When they have sells you can get top line suits (Harts Schaffer Marx) for 200 or so off.

Thanks, I'll check them out the next time I plan on buying a suit.

HILife
03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Since they started. CCR >>> better then Good Fellows in DC

lol, I was joking. Never been/heard of Good Fellows. Is it worth my time?

elsid13
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
lol, I was joking. Never been/heard of Good Fellows. Is it worth my time?

If you like overweight strippers with C-section scars.

peacepipe
03-09-2010, 05:13 PM
LOL, I used to live a block away accross the street from the marriot

peacepipe
03-09-2010, 05:15 PM
small world. Damn I miss living their.

peacepipe
03-09-2010, 05:18 PM
The same guy that owns the Crystal City Sport Pub on 23rd owns that place. So Mondays is 1/2 price burger day.Went there almost every sunday for football.

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Yeah he might be

Have you ever been to 2941 Restaurant over in Falls Church?

yes, that is a good one.

Ray Finkle
03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Feel free to share your secrets.

you can bypass 395 by using Jefferson Davis, FFC Parkway, Van Dorn, Seminary....a combo of them.

Binkythefrog
03-09-2010, 06:12 PM
you can bypass 395 by using Jefferson Davis, FFC Parkway, Van Dorn, Seminary....a combo of them.

I use Rock Creek Parkway in D.C. all the time. I also like Arlington Blvd US 50.

Needa Pass Rush
03-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Get tickets to the Caps game on Friday night and watch the great Ovechkin!

elsid13
03-10-2010, 02:40 AM

Don't forget Columbia Pike, if you can time it right and miss the lights it very good alternative to 395N/S at times.

Ray Finkle
03-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Don't forget Columbia Pike, if you can time it right and miss the lights it very good alternative to 395N/S at times.

good point....my fav of all is the GW parkway....unless you hit the wrong time or there is an accident....

HILife
03-10-2010, 08:15 AM
good point....my fav of all is the GW parkway....unless you hit the wrong time or there is an accident....

My friend would use GW when he use to go to Crystal City. I prefer to use the helicoptor. Gas mileage sucks, but it's a good way to get around traffic. :D

ElwayMD
03-10-2010, 08:31 AM

GW is fun driving, except when you have a tourist driving who thinks the speed limit really is 40. They need a welcome to the DC area pamphlet that explains the actual speed limit on any highway is always 20 mph over what is posted.

HILife
03-10-2010, 08:47 AM
GW is fun driving, except when you have a tourist driving who thinks the speed limit really is 40. They need a welcome to the DC area pamphlet that explains the actual speed limit on any highway is always 20 mph over what is posted.

Got to be careful with that one. 20mph over the speed limit is considered reckless driving. I should know, I got one and that's a no joke ticket. If the judge so choices they can give you jail time for that. I did 90 in a 65 and had to pay a large fine.

Ray Finkle
03-10-2010, 09:07 AM

that's a federal highway.....if you are speeding with a bunch of cars, you're fine. If you are the lead car, it's a hefty, hefty fine....

ElwayMD
03-10-2010, 09:42 AM
that's a federal highway.....if you are speeding with a bunch of cars, you're fine. If you are the lead car, it's a hefty, hefty fine....

I subscribe to the theory of go a little bit slower than the fastest cars in traffic and you'll be fine. Worked for me so far. The only problem is when I go back to Pittsburgh and traffic actually does the speed limit, seems so slow to me.

ElwayMD
03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Got to be careful with that one. 20mph over the speed limit is considered reckless driving. I should know, I got one and that's a no joke ticket. If the judge so choices they can give you jail time for that. I did 90 in a 65 and had to pay a large fine.

I'm amazed you were able to get a car to 90 on the highways around here :)

I just wish they would put a reasonable speed limit on 495/395 of 65mph vs the 55 and 50 they have posted in areas or do what I've seen in NJ and have speed limit signs that change with the volume of traffic. Just seems like a cheap way to get tickets off of the public during non rush hours.

HILife
03-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm amazed you were able to get a car to 90 on the highways around here :)

I just wish they would put a reasonable speed limit on 495/395 of 65mph vs the 55 and 50 they have posted in areas or do what I've seen in NJ and have speed limit signs that change with the volume of traffic. Just seems like a cheap way to get tickets off of the public during non rush hours.

Yea, I was pushing it that day. I got it on 66E around Manassas. I can't remember what day it was, but there was very little traffic that day.

Those 55mph roads suck. It is unbelivable slow. People can EASLY do more the 55 on those roads. I really hate when people go 55 or less in the left lane. There are 3 other lanes they can drive in and they choose to **** everyone over and drive in the left. Drives me ****ing crazy.

WolfpackGuy
03-10-2010, 10:03 AM
I really hate when people go 55 or less in the left lane. There are 3 other lanes they can drive in and they choose to **** everyone over and drive in the left. Drives me ****ing crazy.

Killing someone doing that should be justifiable homicide.

It's not just in DC, it's everywhere.

TailgateNut
03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Yea, I was pushing it that day. I got it on 66E around Manassas. I can't remember what day it was, but there was very little traffic that day.

Those 55mph roads suck. It is unbelivable slow. People can EASLY do more the 55 on those roads. I really hate when people go 55 or less in the left lane. There are 3 other lanes they can drive in and they choose to **** everyone over and drive in the left. Drives me ****ing crazy.

AAH, Manassas. That's some beautiful countryside. I did some work at Vint Hill Farm Station while in the service. It's awesome going out an about in the early mornings up in "that neck o da woods".

ElwayMD
03-10-2010, 10:09 AM

My friend has a great quote about driving in the dc area. "We didn't invent road rage, but we perfected it."

ElwayMD
03-10-2010, 10:10 AM
AAH, Manassas. That's some beautiful countryside. I did some work at Vint Hill Farm Station while in the service. It's awesome going out an about in the early mornings up in "that neck o da woods".

I would be living in Manassas if it wasn't a 2hr commute to DC from there. They have that green stuff that is a myth here in Alexandria. What is it called again? Grass?

HILife
03-10-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm hilife, and I approve this message.

HILife
03-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I would be living in Manassas if it wasn't a 2hr commute to DC from there. They have that green stuff that is a myth here in Alexandria. What is it called again? Grass?

lol, even worse in DC

Ray Finkle
03-10-2010, 10:39 AM

don't know where you live but I've got a nice lawn....and I live in Alexandria....Manasass is on par with Richmond....

Ray Finkle
03-10-2010, 10:44 AM

I am a big fan of Bryn Keith....they're custom suits/shirts but well worth it.

I have about 5 shirts I got from Bryn 4 years ago and they still look new....great quality...

http://www.brynkeith.com/

TailgateNut
03-10-2010, 10:56 AM
don't know where you live but I've got a nice lawn....and I live in Alexandria....Manasass is on par with Richmond....

Holy Crap! Comparing Manassas to Richmond. WOW, has it changed that much?

Archer81
03-10-2010, 11:21 AM

In Colorado they made it a law. The left lane is for passing only on any highway. People still cruise along in the fast lane on I-25 going 55 when the speedlimit is 75 north of colo springs...****ing annoying as mutha****ing hell. I am so glad they have all damn day to get to Denver, but I want to be in and out of there before 3 pm otherwise I get dicked sitting in traffic at the tech center and in Colo Springs...**** headed dumb mutha****ers...

HILife
03-10-2010, 12:01 PM
In Colorado they made it a law. The left lane is for passing only on any highway. People still cruise along in the fast lane on I-25 going 55 when the speedlimit is 75 north of colo springs...****ing annoying as mutha****ing hell. I am so glad they have all damn day to get to Denver, but I want to be in and out of there before 3 pm otherwise I get dicked sitting in traffic at the tech center and in Colo Springs...**** headed dumb mutha****ers...

:Broncos

http://www.worldtravelguide.com/travel-essentials/images/suitcase-packing.jpg

http://media.international-cheap-flights.info/media/1/20090916-20090728-airline_tickets.jpg

http://shawnandjenn.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/expensive-airline-tickets1.jpg

WolfpackGuy
03-10-2010, 12:13 PM

I wish they would bring that law east.

I would venture to say a good bit of aggressive driving is caused by people hogging up the left lane. Usually that person in the left lane is yapping away on their phone or text messaging.

When I went to Germany, it was unbelievable how less frustrating it was to drive because everyone who wasn't passing stayed in the right lane.

Ray Finkle
03-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Holy Crap! Comparing Manassas to Richmond. WOW, has it changed that much?

The wife is from Richmond....she mocks me being from the Jersey Shore, I compare Richmond to Manassas. I don't mind Manassas but it's not the same as Alexandria.

Archer81
03-10-2010, 12:26 PM
http://www.worldtravelguide.com/travel-essentials/images/suitcase-packing.jpg

http://media.international-cheap-flights.info/media/1/20090916-20090728-airline_tickets.jpg

http://shawnandjenn.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/expensive-airline-tickets1.jpg

Speed limit on I-25 is 75 from northern colorado springs to Denver, south of Colo Springs to Pueblo, where it drops to 65, then back up to 75 all the way to Mexico. Its nice. When my dad got hurt in Iraq and I flew back east, was shocked to see 55 MPH signs everwhere. As a comparison, I can get from my house in Florence to Denver in 70 minutes. (113 miles) To get from a family friend's house in Stafford, VA to Bethesda took 2 hours, in half the distance. Least I think it was half the distance. Either way it took a long ****ing time to go a shorter distance.

gtown
03-10-2010, 12:37 PM
My friend has a great quote about driving in the dc area. "We didn't invent road rage, but we perfected it."

Now that is true. I bought a nice wooden baseball bat for it. Haven't had to use it yet, but one day one of the crappy drivers out here will force me to reach for it. It'll probably be in Tyson's Corner, where the lines at the light are so long that you can't even see the stop light. Or I-495 near the I-270 spur where droves of idiots sit in traffic for hours averaging 4mph for their commute to Rockville or Gaithersburg.

HILife
03-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Speed limit on I-25 is 75 from northern colorado springs to Denver, south of Colo Springs to Pueblo, where it drops to 65, then back up to 75 all the way to Mexico. Its nice. When my dad got hurt in Iraq and I flew back east, was shocked to see 55 MPH signs everwhere. As a comparison, I can get from my house in Florence to Denver in 70 minutes. (113 miles) To get from a family friend's house in Stafford, VA to Bethesda took 2 hours, in half the distance. Least I think it was half the distance. Either way it took a long ****ing time to go a shorter distance.

75mph!! I wonder what speed people are really doing on that road. 95? 100? Why can't we have that here?

elsid13
03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
The wife is from Richmond....she mocks me being from the Jersey Shore, I compare Richmond to Manassas. I don't mind Manassas but it's not the same as Alexandria.

I kinda like Richmond, they have some great corner restaurants with very good food.

Ray Finkle
03-10-2010, 03:12 PM
I kinda like Richmond, they have some great corner restaurants with very good food.

yes when they are not overrun with NASCAR.....