PDA

View Full Version : OT: Wikipedia Fooled

UberBroncoMan
03-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I just brought up the fact that Wikipedia says Jamal Williams is a Bronco and just signed a 3 year contract with us in the thread related to him... who knows if it's true or not. Though I'm hoping it is.

This brings me to the point of the thread though. I was pondering... do you all have any stories about being owned by Wikipedia with false information?

long beach bronco
03-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Wikipedia usually has the inside scoop on things, it is inaccurate on occasions but not many. This could be true, stay tuned.

watermock
03-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Does it say Obama was raised as Muslim?

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Fooled? Wikipedia articales can be edited by anyone, people screw with it all the time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Wikipedia_motivator.jpg

http://www.penn-olson.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/wiki-funny.png

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 09:07 AM

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp

****ing retard.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-09-2010, 09:07 AM
I've worked in online content for the past 5 years. Working with amateur writers is a challenge in and of itself, but when Wikipedia is in the fold, my job was a whole lot harder.

I have dozens of stories about factually incorrect information on Wiki that somehow made it to the lede of a story, embarrassing both my company and me personally and necessitating a hasty takedown and a warning to the writer not to use Wikipedia for a source -- EVER -- unless you have a second source to corroborate.

And then there's the issue of image rights. Don't even get me started. I've seen people credit "The Internet" or "Google Search" for photos they added to their stories. Incredible.

And then, of course, there was the time my drummer put on Jay Cutler's Wikipedia page that Cutler was a big fan of our band, and that he attended every show when he was in the Denver area.

Actually, that was pretty funny.

Br0nc0Buster
03-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I know better than to use a wiki as a legit source of information, iv seen people get pwned though by teachers that used wiki on a paper or something

Lev Vyvanse
03-09-2010, 09:14 AM
I know better than to use a wiki as a legit source of information, iv seen people get pwned though by teachers that used wiki on a paper or something

All my professors wouldn't accept a paper with wiki as a source.

Doggcow
03-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Anyone who would use it for more than a starting platform is foolish.

Pony Boy
03-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Mock will you be attending this?

Obama calls 'entrepreneurship summit' with Muslims
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.c429eac8e6bddb6d430d2b4d28386dd 9.551&show_article=1

UberBroncoMan
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
As neat as Obama and Muslims are, can we please not derail this into a political war thread. Just keep it to funny Wikipedia misinformation stories.

Pony Boy
03-09-2010, 09:37 AM
As neat as Obama and Muslims are, can we please not derail this into a political war thread. Just keep it to funny Wikipedia misinformation stories.

Party Pooper....

Paladin
03-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Mock, you and your ilk are fugging laughing stocks. I have you on ignore, but people keep quoting your innane BS so that they can laugh at them. Why don't y ou go post in your Support Group Forum? That has to be a barrell of laughs.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Anyone who would use it for more than a starting platform is foolish.

This

And Obama is a double Muslim.

Dagmar
03-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Mock, you and your ilk are fugging laughing stocks. I have you on ignore, but people keep quoting your innane BS so that they can laugh at them. Why don't y ou go post in your Support Group Forum? That has to be a barrell of laughs.

They have support groups for racist drunk retards now?

Paladin
03-09-2010, 09:49 AM
There are some pieces of information that seem helpful, such as when looking for info on foriegn countries. But I agree Wiki is just a starating point and one should use other sources of data.

Paladin
03-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Other than the Mane? H3ll, yeah......

Taco John
03-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Bravo! :thumbs:

Killericon
03-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I went to Condoleezza Rice's page once, and it was a page describing a fried rice dish. It was only there for like, 20 seconds, though.

ZONA
03-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Somewhere in another parallel universe, Mock got arrested and sent to prison and is getting ass raped by some muslim black guys.

doonwise
03-09-2010, 11:06 AM

Hey, it's not Mock's fault; blame the peanut butter for his creepy behavior. Well... ok... maybe we can't blame just the peanut butter. There's also the inbreeding issue... and the bestiality obsession...

RonDaChamp24
03-09-2010, 11:33 AM
The other day after Ryan Miller allowed the goal by Sidney Crosby, if you wikipedia'd his name it said: "Ryan Miller (born July 17, 1980) is a piece of f***ing garbage you let the USA down." I couldn't believe it. Miller played his ass off for our country and made us proud and someone put that. It was removed a short time later. I took a screenshot with my Iphone for proof.

Ambiguous
03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
All my professors wouldn't accept a paper with wiki as a source.

No **** dude, anyone who would even try that is retarded. That's why wikipedia lists it's sources at the bottom of the page - do the research yourself, Wikipedia is nothing more than a jumping off point, or a "general idea" site.

UberBroncoMan
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
The other day after Ryan Miller allowed the goal by Sidney Crosby, if you wikipedia'd his name it said: "Ryan Miller (born July 17, 1980) is a piece of ****ing garbage you let the USA down." I couldn't believe it. Miller played his ass off for our country and made us proud and someone put that. It was removed a short time later. I took a screenshot with my Iphone for proof.

I saw something similar only it was the opposite. It said he was God and an American Hero lol. That was before the loss to Canada though.