PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi: Bengals won’t spend to get Marshall

Bronco Rob
03-09-2010, 03:24 AM
Lombardi: Bengals won’t spend to get Marshall

Michael Lombardi, The National Football Post
Mar 8, 12:04 pm EST

Usually, after the first weekend of free agency, the big money spending is over and players without the expected big contracts start to get a little nervous. As a fan, just because your favorite team hasn’t been active at the beginning of free agency, it doesn’t mean it won’t be making moves; it just won’t be making expensive moves. Here are more of my thoughts from the first weekend:

Brandon Marshall of the Broncos would make sense to many teams picking at the bottom of the first round, and clearly he would improve the Bengals. I’m sure the team’s coaches would agree with his assessment, but the Bengals front office will shy away from spending the money. There’s no wide receiver in this draft the Bengals could pick that could make a significant impact to their team like Marshall….

The Tim Tebow private workouts begin, with the Bills and Seahawks the first to visit the Florida campus. Expect the Panthers and the Broncos to follow. In a private workout setting, Tebow will be revealed as teams make him throw their route tree and in their rhythm of offense….

The Jags giving Aaron Kampman more than $11 million in guarantee is a surprise, but those guarantees have to be time sensitive and protect the club if his knee doesn’t respond in time. The Jags are confident Kampman will be ready for the beginning of camp, but being ready and being back to his normal playing level are quite different….

If I were a team in the AFC South, I would sign Jim Sorgi(notes), the former Colts backup quarterback. He’s had inside access to the Colts’ methodology of offense, and he could really provide assistance on and off the field….

Shaun Hill’s tenure with the 49ers might be over now that former Texans quarterback David Carr has signed with San Francisco. Playing behind the 49ers offensive line might get Carr sacked again if he plays. The 49ers have to fix that line before they can take the next step. They allowed 40 sacks last year….

Ryan Clark of the Steelers is in Miami, and I expect him to be signed some time today as the Dolphins need economic value at safety since releasing the overpaid Gibril Wilson. As I wrote the other day, and as Antrel Rolle confirmed, the Fins were never involved in pursuing his services because he was viewed as too expensive….

The Browns took a huge plunge into free agency Sunday, signing Scott Fuijta of the Saints and Tony Pashos of the 49ers. Fuijta got such a strong offer from the Browns that he had no choice but to take the deal. The Saints were never going to be in that market….

Not sure how former Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles could help the Jets offense since he was no help to the Bengals. At this point in his career, Coles lacks burst in and out of his cuts to separate. He’ll have a hard time improving the Jets if he signs with them….

Why would the Lions trade for corner Chris Houston when the Falcons, who need corners, are willing to trade him? Well, Houston needs to play press corner and has to be able to get his hands on wide receivers, which fits the Lions’ Cover 2 scheme more than it does the Falcons. This is all about scheme fit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhmKeoWNZY00Z15uStgQky9DubYF?slug=nfp-lombardi_bengals_wont_spend_to_get_marshall_html-201038&prov=nfp&type=lgns

watermock
03-09-2010, 04:21 AM
It's funny those who both thought BM was worth more than 6 and less than a 2x4.

BM thinks he gets it but does not.

He has to go, and the 14 is the best we can do.

Smith for Marshall? i.e. #14?

It's funny how Beavis tries to control him. and the expect top dollar.

Denver will be lucky to get the 14.

Antonio Smith for BM.

Get ready.

Inkana7
03-09-2010, 04:36 AM

Antonio Smith for BM.

Get ready.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8894/kaneklapqo6.gif

robbieopperude
03-09-2010, 04:43 AM
We will see where Antonio Bryant and Terrel Owens wind up. I can't decide if they are hurting the market for Marshall or helping it. There seems to be only a few teams interested in headache making WR's.

I am rooting for Marshall to be forced to take less than 8 million a year with little guaranteed.

Rabb
03-09-2010, 05:32 AM
the thing about people hurting his market is...he hurt his own market way before this year

he doesn't act like a petulant child off the field and in practice, and he is already signed somewhere

I know people don't like hearing that, but it's true...and I wouldn't be shocked now to see him stay here another year

RMT
03-09-2010, 06:48 AM

Antonio Smith for BM.

Get ready.

the seahawks can't trade the #14 pick back to us if sigining marshall to an offer sheet - it has to be their ORIGINAL pick, hence, #6.

crush17
03-09-2010, 07:29 AM
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8894/kaneklapqo6.gif

Excellent start to my morning, thanks for that Ikana

Mr.Meanie
03-09-2010, 07:33 AM

Antonio Smith for BM.

Get ready.

eh?

Popcorn Sutton
03-09-2010, 07:39 AM
the seahawks can't trade the #14 pick back to us if sigining marshall to an offer sheet - it has to be their ORIGINAL pick, hence, #6.

But they can do a sign and trade deal for the #14.... can't they?

gunns
03-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Antonio Smith? From the Houston Texans? And what does he have to do with a first round pick?

Br0nc0Buster
03-09-2010, 07:50 AM

Antonio Smith for BM.

Get ready.

lol wut?

strafen
03-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Antonio Smith? From the Houston Texans? And what does he have to do with a first round pick?

I'm pretty sure he meant Alphoso Smith, which is who we've got by trading the now #14 pick to Seattle last year...

gunns
03-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm pretty sure he meant Alphoso Smith, which is who we've got by trading the now #14 pick to Seattle last year...

I was aware of that. I was just pointing out if you're going to post **** at least have your **** correct.

Caligula
03-09-2010, 09:23 AM

. They can TRADE the 14th pick to us for Marshall. If they sign Marshall to an offersheet, and NOT trade with Denver, then it would have to be their 6th pick. The Seahawks aren't going to give up their 6th pick.... I'm betting they dont' giv eup their 14th either.

Im willing tobet we get a 2nd from Seattle (38th pick in the draft) and a second in 2011. Maybe Branch thrown in since Seattle doesn't want him, and he could at least be another lame WR for the Broncos that is familiar with the NE playcalls.

ScottXray
03-09-2010, 09:40 AM
. They can TRADE the 14th pick to us for Marshall. If they sign Marshall to an offersheet, and NOT trade with Denver, then it would have to be their 6th pick. The Seahawks aren't going to give up their 6th pick.... I'm betting they dont' giv eup their 14th either.

Im willing tobet we get a 2nd from Seattle (38th pick in the draft) and a second in 2011. Maybe Branch thrown in since Seattle doesn't want him, and he could at least be another lame WR for the Broncos that is familiar with the NE playcalls.

I think you may be right that that is what they will offer. Denver would be foolish to accept it. Maybe the second and Seattles first next year (equivalent to a second this year) would be better, but Denver wants a first this year.

They tendered him as a first and that is what they will take IF they don't want to match. Denver doesn't have to accept any offer for a trade. If no one makes him an offer he can sit or accept the tender. My bet is, if that happens, Denver will offer him the same contract he was offerered last year, more or less, with maybe a bit more up front than before. Since no one else is interested enough to give him guaranteed money up front in a large way, why would we?

A second round pick is an insult if you ask me. And BM should see it the same way, as far as his talent goes. It is his off the field issues that are hurting him. Without those he would have been tendered highest or franchised, or even better would have signed last year with a better contract offer.

bowtown
03-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I think you may be right that that is what they will offer. Denver would be foolish to accept it. Maybe the second and Seattles first next year (equivalent to a second this year) would be better, but Denver wants a first this year.

Now THAT I can get behind. Let's position ourselves for the Locker sweepstakes. Also remember this, assuming that there is a new CBA next year, chances are pretty good that it will include a rookie pay scale. A 2011 1st is most likely going to be a lot more affordable and less risky than in 2010. I'm all for starting to stockpile picks for next year.

Flex Gunmetal
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Stop trying to make sense of mocks bull****! It will just make all of us stupider, as many of us have him on ignore and don't want everyone quoting him.

denvernut1
03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
i say trade with the jets ...get david harris n a 2nd or 3rd
n get rid of the problem child ...cause sooner or later he will
b suspended or in jail... doesnt anybody see that bcause of him
d-will was killed, n he beats women... i dont care how gud
he is hes not worth top dollar 4 the team... screw him n let him go.....
n im a die hard fan .......

TonyR
03-09-2010, 01:17 PM
i say trade with the jets ...get david harris n a 2nd or 3rd...

You say? Why would the Jets want to trade Harris?