PDA

View Full Version : Is This Legal? Seahawks allowed to conspire?

KS Bronco
03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35765168/ns/sports-nfl/page/2/

6. Seahawks should pull an end run around the Broncos
With the Seattle Seahawks flirting with Brandon Marshall, the Broncos are getting the word out, loud and clear: If the Seahawks want Marshall, they need to sign him to an offer sheet and be prepared to give up the sixth overall pick in the draft.

The position is more than a little donkey-headed, given that the Seahawks also hold the 14th overall pick in the draft, which Denver sent to them in 2008 for a second-round pick. With the Broncos essentially begging someone to sign Marshall to an offer sheet by tendering the restricted free agent at the first-round level only, the Broncos should be happy with any first-round pick they can get.

So here's what the Seahawks should do. They should communicate to a team such as the Saints or the Colts or anyone who picks below No. 14 the terms they'd be comfortable paying to Marshall, and the Seahawks should offer to those teams the 14th overall pick for Marshall's contract. Then, one of the teams picking below No. 14 should sign Marshall to an offer sheet.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

It would be a lot easier for the Broncos just to take the 14th overall pick and send Marshall to Seattle. But if they refuse to relent, then the Seahawks should give some other team an easy chance to upgrade to No. 14 — and to stick the Broncos with a pick a lot lower than No. 6.

Garcia Bronco
03-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Hopefully this can get posted again today. :P

Beantown Bronco
03-08-2010, 03:19 PM
197 post rule

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=89846

Bronco CB40
03-08-2010, 03:19 PM
197 post rule

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=89846

Boston sucks, maggot.

Dagmar
03-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Boston sucks, maggot.

WTF is wrong with you?

Beantown Bronco
03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Boston sucks, maggot.

OK there BroncoLB52

bombay
03-08-2010, 03:36 PM
My ex is from Boston, so I don't love it very much.

crush17
03-08-2010, 03:36 PM
thread is terrible.

chadta
03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Boston sucks, maggot.

114 post rule

Tombstone RJ
03-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Boston sucks, maggot.

Your adopt a Bronco is Dale Carter? You stay classy!

SportinOne
03-08-2010, 04:44 PM
What is the deal with the article? Why would "unbiased" media want to stick it to Denver? I don't think they really understand the way this works. If Seattle wants Marshall, they have no choice but to give up the 6. No team is going to sign and then trade him to Seattle that is Madden stuff.

Seattle, **** or get off the pot.

crazyhorse
03-08-2010, 04:47 PM
How would the Broncos have a right to choose?

If they dont match the offer, then whatever 1st round pick the Seahawks want to give up qualifies, right? The only right of refusal the Broncos would have at that point is if they take the pick offered or not.

Crushisback
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
How would the Broncos have a right to choose?

If they dont match the offer, then whatever 1st round pick the Seahawks want to give up qualifies, right? The only right of refusal the Broncos would have at that point is if they take the pick offered or not.

Has to be that teams original 1st round pick.

crazyhorse
03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Has to be that teams original 1st round pick.

I know you cant trade a comp. pick but never heard of not being able to trade a traded pick. Are you sure thats right?

If so, thats something I never knew.

So if the Broncos original pick was 6th and the Seahawks original pick was 14, then the Broncos could only get the 14th pick? So the Broncos really have no say one way or the other. They just have the right to match or not to match. The rest is goverened by the rules.

What about the fact that the 14th pick is a traded pick from the Seahawks making it in essence thier original pick?

What if they traded away the 6th pick to another team for the 5th pick. Are you saying they couldn't trade for Marshall?

scorpio
03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I know you cant trade a comp. pick but never heard of not being able to trade a traded pick. Are you sure thats right?

So if the Broncos original pick was 6th and the Seahawks original pick was 14, then the Broncos could only get the 14th pick? So the Broncos really have no say one way or the other. They just have the right to match or not to match. The rest is goverened by the rules.

What about the fact that the 14th pick is a traded pick from the Seahawks making it in essence thier original pick?

What if they traded away the 6th pick to another team for the 5th pick. Are you saying they couldn't trade for Marshall?

It's not that you can't trade a traded pick, it's that you can only pay a tender with your own original pick. The 14th pick just happening to be the Broncos pick doesn't enter into it. I don't know about your 3rd scenario.

Dagmar
03-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Boston sucks, maggot.
http://i50.tinypic.com/5wmdms.jpg

bowtown
03-08-2010, 05:55 PM

Actually it looks like it's the team's original pick or higher. From the CBA:

… the Restricted Free Agent’s Prior Club shall receive from the New Club the Draft Choice Compensation, if any, specified in Section 2 above of this Article. Any Club that does not have available, in the upcoming Draft, the selection choice or choices (its own or better choices in the applicable rounds) needed to provide Draft Choice Compensation in the event of a timely First Refusal Exercise Notice may not sign an Offer Sheet in such circumstances.

Now what's a little confusing about that is let's say Seattle had traded away it's #6 pick and only had our #14 left. Tht's not thier own pick and it's not better than their own pick. So would they still be able to sign Marshall to an offer sheet? I can't find any documentation on it.

crazyhorse
03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
It's not that you can't trade a traded pick, it's that you can only pay a tender with your own original pick. The 14th pick just happening to be the Broncos pick doesn't enter into it. I don't know about your 3rd scenario.

Good to know.

So I guess if they didn't have thier original 1st, they could not qualify to sign Marshall.

Under that criteria, the Broncos couldn't qualify to sign anyone, with at least a 1st round tender, to an offer sheet.

I do know that in many of these cases the team will negotiate a lesser trade. For example, Franchise tags call for 2 1sts. No team is going to have 2 original 1sts BTW. But often times they pull the tag and take less comp.

Would the Broncos have to pull the tender offer to deal with a team that didnt have thier original pick? Can you pull the tender like a tag?

crazyhorse
03-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Actually it looks like it's the team's original pick or higher. From the CBA:

Now what's a little confusing about that is let's say Seattle had traded away it's #6 pick and only had our #14 left. Tht's not thier own pick and it's not better than their own pick. So would they still be able to sign Marshall to an offer sheet? I can't find any documentation on it.

That rule would eliminate incentive for teams to trade to the end of the round and flip the pick to the tendering team. Which is reasonable.

bowtown
03-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Good to know.

So I guess if they didn't have thier original 1st, they could not qualify to sign Marshall.

Under that criteria, the Broncos couldn't qualify to sign anyone, with at least a 1st round tender, to an offer sheet.

I do know that in many of these cases the team will negotiate a lesser trade. For example, Franchise tags call for 2 1sts. No team is going to have 2 original 1sts BTW. But often times they pull the tag and take less comp.

Would the Broncos have to pull the tender offer to deal with a team that didnt have thier original pick? Can you pull the tender like a tag?

They wouldn't pull the tender offer, because that would automatically make him an unrestricted free agent. They would have to convince Brandon to sign the tender, at which point he would join their roster and they could trade him.

Again though in the CBA it says original pick or better. Not totally sure how that works, but it does mean that as long as Seattle has their 6th, that's what we would get in exchange.

DomCasual
03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
OK there BroncoLB52

Where would you place the over/under on how many accounts he has here? My guess is that it has to be at least 15.

uplink
03-08-2010, 06:05 PM
just take the 14th pick. Bmarsh can't say in Denver, the team leaders asked McD to suspend him for that last game per reports.

crazyhorse
03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Depending on whats there, the 14th might be the best fit for the Broncos. Who would you guys take at 6?

Lev Vyvanse
03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Where would you place the over/under on how many accounts he has here? My guess is that it has to be at least 15.

In the butt there is a thread "Broncos sign David Carr" where he shows a picture of his desktop. He is using a proxy.

LonghornBronco
03-08-2010, 09:26 PM
At 6 I would like
McCoy
Bradford
Berry
in that order

Kaylore
03-08-2010, 11:42 PM
OK there BroncoLB52

:sailaway:

ZONA
03-09-2010, 01:42 AM
just take the 14th pick. Bmarsh can't say in Denver, the team leaders asked McD to suspend him for that last game per reports.

Yeah, and many of those team leaders played like crap in that last game so they can just shut the F up and let the coach do his part, which is coach and decide on who is going to play and who won't, and they can focus on their part, which is to shut the F up and quit thinking about what the next guy is dong and just go out and do your MF job.