PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to miss several key players in offseason program

oubronco
03-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Across the NFL, dozens of restricted free agents are expected to skip their teams' offseason conditioning programs.

The Broncos will not be immune from it. When they open their offseason conditioning program next Monday, among the missing will be Elvis Dumervil, Tony Scheffler and Brandon Marshall.

Those players belong to a four-year player group that feels trapped in a time when NFL owners have moved the eligibility for unrestricted free agency from four years of service to six years until they receive a new collective bargaining agreement.

While Dumervil was tendered with a $3.168 million salary as a restricted free agent in 2010, he could have commanded at least 10 times that in unrestricted free agency. Another team could still try to sign Dumervil, but that team would have to surrender the near prohibitive compensation of first- and third-round draft picks to the Broncos.

Dumervil, who led the NFL with 17 sacks last year, said he doesn't want to create any fuss or controversy. He just wants to stay back home in Miami and work out there.

"I'm going to work out with my dad," Dumervil said. "I've worked out with him most of my life. The last couple years, I spent more time working out in Denver than I did back here. This year, it's going to be the other way around."

The Broncos need not worry about Dumervil slacking off. His father, Frank, served 13 years in the U.S. Marines.

Scheffler, a tight end who was tendered at $1.01 million and is likely to be traded, will work out with his former high school coach in Ann Arbor, Mich. Scheffler brought along the offseason workout program he was taught last year by Nuggets strength and conditioning coach Steve Hess.

Marshall hopes by the time the Broncos begin their offseason training program he will be with the Seahawks, whom he visited over the weekend.

Another Broncos restricted free agent, guard Chris Kuper, is expected to report next Monday. Kuper doesn't figure to draw much interest from other teams because the Broncos slapped him with a first-round tender, which the NFL industry considers steep compensation for an interior lineman.

The offseason intentions of quarterback Kyle Orton are not yet known. Orton, a fifth-year restricted free agent, was given a first-round tender and $2.621 million salary.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14631792#ixzz0hauFHfe1

2KBack
03-08-2010, 10:23 AM
way to earn those contracts guys

supermanhr9
03-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I have no problem with DOOM not being there, he is gonna work hard @ home. I like Kuper showing up, and you know Orton will be there. B Marsh can SUCK IT

bowtown
03-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Scheffler, a tight end who was tendered at $1.01 million and is likely to be traded, will work out with his former high school coach in Ann Arbor, Mich. Scheffler brought along the offseason workout program he was taught last year by Nuggets strength and conditioning coach Steve Hess.

Puff, puff, pass... and repeat.

Tombstone RJ
03-08-2010, 10:47 AM
These guys all know how to stay in shape and what their bodies need. It's not a big deal if they miss this stuff. NFL is in a transitional period and these guys are paying the price literally. I'd give them some lattitude on the off season stuff.

2KBack
03-08-2010, 10:49 AM
I have no problem with DOOM not being there, he is gonna work hard @ home. I like Kuper showing up, and you know Orton will be there. B Marsh can SUCK IT

Doom has the strongest case for not being there, so I don't want to fault him too much. Still, if he really wants to show his worth I think he'd be there. I think these guys needs to understand the current situation around the league. The guy can make his case known for more cash, but I think being around the team is important. Not showing up doesn't add any leverage in my eyes.

Kuper showing lets me know everything I want about that guy. Easily becoming my favorite lineman. Orton showing says a lot too (if he does, the article sounds like an assumption). He's on a rookie 4th round contract, and is an NFL starting QB, I could understand his frustration as well. Showing up to work says a lot about him wanting to be here, and his willingness to work to get better.

Yeah, at this point Marshall can suck it

BigPlayShay
03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
The agents of some of these guys are instructing them to miss "voluntary" camps. Can't take a risk with so little guaranteed money. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

UberBroncoMan
03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't see how Orton won't be here. He's ****ed elsewhere. This is his best chance for a future in the NFL. If he does a great job (Pro-Bowl level)this coming season then he's getting paid next year or the year after.

oubronco
03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Praise Orton and the rest but **** Marshall

you guys crack me up with this shyt

supermanhr9
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Doom has the strongest case for not being there, so I don't want to fault him too much. Still, if he really wants to show his worth I think he'd be there. I think these guys needs to understand the current situation around the league. The guy can make his case known for more cash, but I think being around the team is important. Not showing up doesn't add any leverage in my eyes.

Kuper showing lets me know everything I want about that guy. Easily becoming my favorite lineman. Orton showing says a lot too (if he does, the article sounds like an assumption). He's on a rookie 4th round contract, and is an NFL starting QB, I could understand his frustration as well. Showing up to work says a lot about him wanting to be here, and his willingness to work to get better.

Yeah, at this point Marshall can suck it

Knuckles duder

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Question about this:

"Marshall hopes by the time the Broncos begin their offseason training program he will be with the Seahawks, whom he visited over the weekend."

Umm, is that a quote? Rampant speculation from Klis? Sounds like he's willing to be back in Denver in '10, so... this seems like an awful lot of bull****.

Keep making stuff up, Klis! You're on your way to a Burger Bill contract with ESPN.com!

Cito Pelon
03-08-2010, 12:18 PM
These guys all know how to stay in shape and what their bodies need. It's not a big deal if they miss this stuff. NFL is in a transitional period and these guys are paying the price literally. I'd give them some lattitude on the off season stuff.

Agreed. A lot of players don't like the cities they play in, and that's understandable.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me that players want to go travel around some.

gyldenlove
03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Considering that none of those players are under contract they have no obligation to turn up until they feel like it. They could all sit home and play modern warfare 2 on their 360s until the day before the first regular season game.

Ziggy
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I'd rather Marshall stayed away from injury risk until we trade. Now if there was only a way to ensure that he stays out of trouble with the law.......

Kaylore
03-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Puff, puff, pass... and repeat.

Actually, Steve Hess is a bad ass. He's worked with several athletes from several sports to give them more burst and reduce their injuries during the season and it always works.

bowtown
03-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Actually, Steve Hess is a bad ass. He's worked with several athletes from several sports to give them more burst and reduce their injuries during the season and it always works.

That's what the guy who used to sell it to me always told me too.

ludo21
03-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I pray Marshall is retained somehow. Dealing him makes no sense, we will be way worse off for it