PDA

View Full Version : OT-Academy Awards...

Archer81
03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Why is this televised?

:Broncos:

BroncosinDC
03-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Because they need something to fill Sunday nights when the Broncos aren't trying to win a mother ****ing game.

Bigdawg26
03-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Lol!

listopencil
03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
It's televised?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I agree. I work in hollywood and have no clue why these people feel the need to congratulate themselves so much. And i dont quite get why normal people enjoy watching a bunch of rich people giving each other awards.

HAT
03-07-2010, 09:44 PM
The same reason the NBA is...You can wager on it! d:-)

I've had it on in the background is all but the John Hughes tribute was pretty damn cool (as an 80's child)

Archer81
03-07-2010, 09:45 PM
The same reason the NBA is...You can wager on it! d:-)

I've had it on in the background is all but the John Hughes tribute was pretty damn cool (as an 80's child)

I loved the Hughes tribute and the horror film tribute. Other than that...bleh.

RhymesayersDU
03-07-2010, 09:51 PM
For the same reason you're allowed to post here.

BlaK-Argentina
03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Don't really care about the whole "show" but yaaaay! An Argentine movie won Best Foreign Picture!!!!!!!

Archer81
03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
For the same reason you're allowed to post here.

I am far more entertaining.

TDmvp
03-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Yea the Hughes thing was great and Sandra winning for The Blind Side was cool.

Edit :

And Avatar didn't win best picture :thumbsup:

bronco militia
03-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Yea the Hughes thing was great and Sandra winning for The Blind Side was cool.

Edit :

And Avatar didn't win best picture :thumbsup:

FYI...hurt locker wasn't that great.

theAPAOps5
03-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Man the Hughes tribute. I grew up watching his films and thought it was awesome how they covered all his films. Same thing with the horror flicks.

But what really impressed me was that a film about the Iraq war whom so many in LALA land detest won so many awards including best director and best film. Pretty impressive.

Kaylore
03-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I just watched the DVR'd/fast forwarded version. I like how they had each nominee for the actors and actresses express their appreciation. I also loved how Cameron's bloated ego was taken down a notch. Star Trek got some love too, which was nice.

Killericon
03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Waltz won, and that's all I really cared about.

TDmvp
03-07-2010, 10:14 PM
FYI...hurt locker wasn't that great.

Yea I figured as much ... I haven't seen ANY of the movies up for it .

I've been hearing lots of bad stuff about Hurt Locker tho , like you said.
People close to the topic it was about saying the movie was nothing like what it's really like to do that job.

But I'm a blue-ist SOB and hate all of them even if they are good people/aliens. :P

Really tho I'm just not a big fan of James Cameron , and was so sick of the hype around Avatar.

In my opinion it looked stupid and cheesy like a cheap sci-fi video game and from reading full plot on wiki it just wasn't anything I'd been into .

Archer81
03-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Yea I figured as much ... I haven't seen ANY of the movies up for it .

I've been hearing lots of bad stuff about Hurt Locker tho , like you said.
People close to the topic it was about saying the movie was nothing like what it's really like to do that job.

But I'm a blue-ist SOB and hate all of them even if they are good people/aliens. :P

Really tho I'm just not a big fan of James Cameron , and was so sick of the hype around Avatar.

In my opinion it looked stupid and cheesy like a cheap sci-fi video game and from reading full plot on wiki it just wasn't anything I'd been into .

I did not see Precious, Invictus, Hurt Locker, Up in the Air. I did see Inglorious Basterds and Avatar. Avatar was a very pretty movie with a very political/boring story.

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Hurt Locker didn't deserve it. However it's anti-Iraq war and the screenwriter went over there to study the action, so that nudged a lot of votes. While Avatar is anti-war etc too, the story, characters etc was just complete **** and that film winning would have made the Academy look idiotic.

I'm ecstatic that Avatar got owned. It was nothing more than a visual spectacle, and that was recognized with the awards it gained and got owned on... ironically by a film directed by an ex-wife of Cameron's (he's had 5... wives).

Inglorious Basterds should have won Best Picture though.

ZONA
03-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Don't really care about the whole "show" but yaaaay! An Argentine movie won Best Foreign Picture!!!!!!!

You're gay for even knowing that...............lol

Broncomutt
03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
If you haven't seen Hurt Locker you're missing out. Best movie I've seen in years.

bronco militia
03-07-2010, 10:30 PM
If you haven't seen Hurt Locker you're missing out. Best movie I've seen in years.

..I thought UP should have won best picture this year.

but honestly, I can't believe UP, hurt locker, Avatar and Basterds were up for best picture. It was mostly a lame year for movies

Play2win
03-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Hurt Locker didn't deserve it. However it's anti-Iraq war and the screenwriter went over there to study the action, so that nudged a lot of votes. While Avatar is anti-war etc too, the story, characters etc was just complete **** and that film winning would have made the Academy look idiotic.

I'm ecstatic that Avatar got owned. It was nothing more than a visual spectacle, and that was recognized with the awards it gained and got owned on... ironically by a film directed by an ex-wife of Cameron's (he's had 5... wives).

Inglorious Basterds should have won Best Picture though.

Cool. I've got it coming in on Netflix early next week. :thumbsup:

ScottXray
03-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I haven't seen Invictus or Up in the air. I've seen Avatar,
Hurt Locker and Inglorius Basterds

Liked Avatar but it was just eye candy. Weak story line.

Hurt Locker was Okay, but to me it was just showing the guy as an adrenalin junky...hooked on the excitement.

I didn't like Inglorius Basterds at all. Silly movie making fun of
WWII and the Holocaust (indirectly) and trying to make light of
atrocities as if it was just a fun outing in nazi controlled France.
In fact this movie pissed me off.

Of those Hurt locker was the best....but like bronco militia I think
that none of these were outstandingly good.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2010, 11:25 PM
The question of who "deserves" it is ridiculous. Its not based on any empirical evidence, its just taste and politics. Each filmmaker worked incredibly hard on their film and to separate them based on, well nothing, is dumb. For all we know, a lot of these people wanted to vote for Cameron's ex-wife just to stick it to him. It's so ****ing dumb.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2010, 11:25 PM
And for those that complain about Avatar's story line, where was the story line in hurt locker? Granted, it wasn't trying to tell a very detailed plot, but the parts were better than the sum in my opinion

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 11:31 PM
I agree. I work in hollywood and have no clue why these people feel the need to congratulate themselves so much. And i dont quite get why normal people enjoy watching a bunch of rich people giving each other awards.

It's basically a few hours of advertising films. Best Picture in particular makes people see movies they never saw before. It's also the reason why they went back to 10 films instead of the 5 it's been for decades.

For people watching them and getting all dressed up, that's funny ****.

I watch them for some humor though (most of it is bad) but there are some funny moments, and just to see who wins /shrug. Not that it influences me in any way.

I enjoy the awards for the unknowns, such as the sound mixers etc. Dudes that no one knows about.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2010, 11:33 PM
It's basically a few hours of advertising films. Best Picture in particular makes people see movies they never saw before. It's also the reason why they went back to 10 films instead of the 5 it's been for decades.

For people watching them and getting all dressed up, that's funny ****.

I watch them for some humor though (most of it is bad) but there are some funny moments, and just to see who wins /shrug. Not that it influences me in any way.

I enjoy the awards for the unknowns, such as the sound mixers etc. Dudes that no one knows about.

But its not just the Oscars, every week there's another awards ceremony, big or small, that honors some (or some thing) in tv or movies. It's just bizarre. We're all a bunch of insecure ****s who need the constant pat on the back. The film business doesn't need advertising and studios spend way more on oscar campaigning than it brings them back. Its really just one big masturbatory show.

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 11:35 PM
The question of who "deserves" it is ridiculous. Its not based on any empirical evidence, its just taste and politics. Each filmmaker worked incredibly hard on their film and to separate them based on, well nothing, is dumb. For all we know, a lot of these people wanted to vote for Cameron's ex-wife just to stick it to him. It's so ****ing dumb.

I actually wouldn't be shocked.

He's renowned as a tyrannical a-hole. I have no doubts he lost votes on that.

Every person who won an award for Avatar was ****ing groveling before him during their speeches. "You're such a genius, we suck yo dick" etc. Really funny stuff.

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 11:35 PM
But its not just the Oscars, every week there's another awards ceremony, big or small, that honors some (or some thing) in tv or movies. It's just bizarre. We're all a bunch of insecure ****s who need the constant pat on the back. The film business doesn't need advertising and studios spend way more on oscar campaigning than it brings them back. Its really just one big masturbatory show.

Meh, Hollywood loves to party.

ElwayMD
03-07-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm glad "the dude" got to abide tonight.

sisterhellfyre
03-07-2010, 11:58 PM
The year that "Titanic" won Best Picture was the last time I paid attention to the Oscars. 1997, I think? I hadn't seen it, but a friend who worked for a TV broadcaster kept pushing me to go see it. Finally I snapped at him "I don't need to see it, I know how it ends! The boat sinks!"

Really pissed him off, and he never mentioned the Oscars to me again. [whew]

snowspot66
03-08-2010, 12:17 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18460_5-reasons-oscars-matter-even-less-than-you-thought.html

Jason in LA
03-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Up in the Air was my favorite movie of the year. I loved everything about it. I though The Hurt Locker was really good, but not great. I'm really glad that Avatar didn't win. It was good, but that's about as much as I'll give it. I liked Bastards too, but I need to see it again. I was kind of drunk when I saw it. lol. Made it hard to keep up with the subtitles.

atomicbloke
03-08-2010, 12:47 AM

I like Argentine movies.... though haven't watched El Secreto de Sus Ojos yet.

ZONA
03-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Liked Avatar but it was just eye candy. Weak story line.

I agree the storyline was a tad weak but what eye candy it was. Best I have ever seen. IMAX 3D it was amazing.

Beantown Bronco
03-08-2010, 05:25 AM
10 movies nominated and none of them were named "The Hangover." Biggest mistake ever.

BlaK-Argentina
03-08-2010, 08:22 AM
You're gay for even knowing that...............lol

Hey it is a great movie. Besides the whole country was waiting to see if it would win. EVERYONE knew!

Garcia Bronco
03-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I haven't seen any of these movies except for the Bastards movie. The best movie IMO is "The Hangover" but maybe they didn't want to pony up the "entrance" fee for the Oscars.

Kid A
03-08-2010, 09:07 AM

I think the best way to understand that movie is to understand that Tarantino's favorite theme is...movies. That entire story is based around the idea that movies have the power to rewrite and change history. The main example being that the plot hinges on changing history in a movie theater, in which, through a projector and a pile of film, one Jewish woman is able to kill Hitler and co.

The German propaganda film "Nation's Pride" that the screening is held for is an obvious example of rewriting history to glorify violence against the enemy...much like Inglorious Basterds itself. Also, that are numerous other allusions throughout the story to how movies color the real world (the movie character game they play in the bar, the British use a film expert as a spy, etc).

So, yeah, much of the movie is played for comedy with a whole lot of Tarantino's love of gore, which isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. And the problems you had with the movie are legitimate questions. But I think it's worth noting he really is trying to say something about the medium he loves so much. As someone who is obsessed with movies, he really sees them as having a profound power over culture and reality.

Mr.Meanie
03-08-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm ecstatic that Avatar got owned.

Yeah, I'm sure Cameron is pretty upset with that $2.5 billion dollar pwnage...

Garcia Bronco
03-08-2010, 09:16 AM

To me, it seemed like a movie made to burn Hitler alive. There is more to it than that, but ....

ScottXray
03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I think the best way to understand that movie is to understand that Tarantino's favorite theme is...movies. That entire story is based around the idea that movies have the power to rewrite and change history. The main example being that the plot hinges on changing history in a movie theater, in which, through a projector and a pile of film, one Jewish woman is able to kill Hitler and co.

The German propaganda film "Nation's Pride" that the screening is held for is an obvious example of rewriting history to glorify violence against the enemy...much like Inglorious Basterds itself. Also, that are numerous other allusions throughout the story to how movies color the real world (the movie character game they play in the bar, the British use a film expert as a spy, etc).

So, yeah, much of the movie is played for comedy with a whole lot of Tarantino's love of gore, which isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. And the problems you had with the movie are legitimate questions. But I think it's worth noting he really is trying to say something about the medium he loves so much. As someone who is obsessed with movies, he really sees them as having a profound power over culture and reality.

I got that, just thought that the subject matter is too serious to screw around with. The problem is that visual medium IS so powerful....and movies have been used as propaganda as long as they have been around.

Watching any WW2 movie, made during the war, gives you a little perspective
of how they were used to ramp up the troops and the civilian populace at the time. Glory on the battlefield, and such, and no one ever died MESSY, like real life. Now there is more realism, but like horror movies of late there is gratuitous violence and gore. In some respects it is better, but it also inures people to the level of violence depicted. It disturbs me that a high percentage of the audience is NOT disturbed by it.

UberBroncoMan
03-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Cameron is pretty upset with that $2.5 billion dollar pwnage...

You clearly don't grasp the egos of many people in Hollywood. Believe me. He was pissed how bad Avatar was owned all night long... and by his ex-wife's movie no less.

bowtown
03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I hope somebody makes a serious and solomn movie about WW2 and the Holocaust one day. It would be so original, can't believe it's never been done. It's like I'll go through my whole life never knowing how terrible the Holocaust actually was, all because Tarintino used some creativity and made a humorous spaghetti western out of it. I am now so confused by what I've heard in passing about these events and what Tarintino has shown to me in his historical document. Oh the outrage.

2KBack
03-08-2010, 11:09 AM
The year that "Titanic" won Best Picture was the last time I paid attention to the Oscars. 1997, I think? I hadn't seen it, but a friend who worked for a TV broadcaster kept pushing me to go see it. Finally I snapped at him "I don't need to see it, I know how it ends! The boat sinks!"

Really pissed him off, and he never mentioned the Oscars to me again. [whew]

I lost faith the year Shakespeare in Love won best picture. Since then I've become better educated on the political bull**** that is the Academy awards process.

That said, I was thrilled to see Avatar barely win anything but visual awards.

Beantown Bronco
03-08-2010, 11:15 AM
You clearly don't grasp the egos of many people in Hollywood. Believe me. He was pissed how bad Avatar was owned all night long... and by his ex-wife's movie no less.

All night long? Avatar actually owned The Hurt Locker up until the last 5 minutes of the show.

TailgateNut
03-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I hope somebody makes a serious and solomn movie about WW2 and the Holocaust one day. It would be so original, can't believe it's never been done. It's like I'll go through my whole life never knowing how terrible the Holocaust actually was, all because Tarintino used some creativity and made a humorous spaghetti western out of it. I am now so confused by what I've heard in passing about these events and what Tarintino has shown to me in his historical document. Oh the outrage.

Try Shindlers' list.

bowtown
03-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Try Shindlers' list.

Never heard of it. Some small budget art house flick, no doubt. Probably seen by less than 50 people in some obscure Soho venue.

Rohirrim
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Great to see Jeff Bridges walk away with the statue. I consider that more of a lifetime achievement award. He deserves it. Sandra Bullock was a good pick too. She was great in that film. Didn't see Precious. I generally stay away from the heavy duty, emotional catharsis fliks. Avatar was a great hyper-cartoon and will be shown on TV for years to come, much like Independence Day,Armageddon and 2012. Otherwise, forgettable. Inglourius Basterds goes on into my top five list of worst movies ever made. Banal, juvenile, pointless, narcissistic, pathetically violent and some of the worst acting Brad Pitt has ever done. Not even comical enough to be camp. The guy who played the Nazi interrogater was great and deserved the award, but even his performance couldn't save that piece of Tarantino cinematic masturbation.

Of course, once again, the Academy completely flops on its best picture choice. I enjoyed The Hurt Locker. Very well done, edge of the seat thriller with a strong message about how war, and its adrenalin, can become an addictive drug. But the movie they passed on was a masterpiece.

A Serious Man put all of these films to shame. In twenty years, people will look back on this snub as laughable. Of course, the Academy has done it time and time again over the years. Hell, they did it before to the Coen Bros when they selected The English Patient over Fargo. Now, who goes back and watches that mediocre dirge The English Patient? And Fargo? I rest my case. A Serious Man will be a top selection in film studies classes for years to come. It is an instant classic. It asks the most daring questions of our age - Who is God? What does he want from us? Does he exist? What is his message? Why do we suffer? Why do things happen to us? Is there any meaning to all of it? Why am I here?

The Coen Bros stab at the heart of our times, right when the world is wracked by the reactionary extremism of religious fundamentalism they ask the core questions that crack the foundations of religion - the questions nobody wants to ask - the questions that dogma only masks. They take Job and place him in the modern world. Even the great old rabbi, the secretive grand vizier of the film, is reduced to quoting Jefferson Airplane -

When the truth is found to be lies
And all the joy within you dies
Don't you want somebody to love

The Coen Bros have the guts to make a film that reveals that religion has run out of gas when it comes to answering man's deepest, fundamental, existential questions. All it can offer is pathetic rabbis, deacons, priests, imams, (whatever) full of turgid dogma, bland homelies and pointless anecdotes - like a magician with nothing up his sleeves.

That last scene, where the son's nemesis is standing with his back turned (as we always see him) and the rabbi can't open the door to the safety cellar, and then the son calls out to his enemy (because finally, he can repay his debt) and then, finally!, the bully turns, we see his face - and for the first time - we see the tornado, swirling in darkness, headed directly for the kids - it is cinematic genius. The last time I saw a scene that profound was the end of Ran, when Kurosawa placed the blind flute player at the edge of a cliff, tapping his stick on the last threshold before the void.

The Coen Bros have taken all their considerable skills and made a film for the ages. A mind boggling film, filled with amazing scenes and stories and characters. The dreams of Gopnik could be a sub-class all their own! A film that peels off the existential skin of man and frees his spirit to search anew. I can see why some people hated this film. People hated Socrates too. Some questions you're just not supposed to ask.

And there are so many gems within this film, as when Professor Gopnik tells his students, after showing them Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle, "Even if you can’t figure it out, you are still responsible for it on the midterm.” There's life for you. Ha! Even the opening line of the film, a quote from a rabbi, Rashi, who is considered the St. Augustine of Judaism, "Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you,” is both profound and infuriating. And the stories, like the dentist who sees the words, "Help me" in Hebrew on the inside of a patient's teeth and then struggles to understand what it can possibly mean, until finally, when he can find no answer, just saying "Hell with it" and getting back to life. There's some existential comedy for ya. Hell, the opening sequence (Is he a dybbuk or not?) could be an amazing short film all on its own. Where is Hashem to answer all these questions?

The rest is silence.

And once again, Hollywood misses it. Ha! Same as it ever was.

TailgateNut
03-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Never heard of it. Some small budget art house flick, no doubt. Probably seen by less than 50 people in some obscure Soho venue.

Are you serious? 7 Academy awards (directed by Steven Spielberg)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108052/

If you haven't seen it, it's worth the time. Paints a very clear picture.

When I was living in Europe I toured two concentration camps. Very eerie places. Horrible conditions.

gyldenlove
03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Here is what I don't get if a movie has the best script, the best director, the best editing and the best sound, how can there even be discussion about which movie is the best?

Wouldn't that be like having the best coach, best QB, best lines, best defense, best RB, best stats and still struggling to win?

This is just another example of the ****sticks at the movie academy picking the morale story. IF you have the best script and the best director and all the rest, then your movie should be so far ahead of all other movies to win best film.

Easily the hangover should have won, most inventive movie of the year by a mile.

FYI the academy awards lost all credibility when slumdog won everything, I don't remember ever being so bored at a movie - what a joke.

Beantown Bronco
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Great to see Jeff Bridges walk away with the statue. I consider that more of a lifetime achievement award. He deserves it.

What's the over/under on the number of white russians he had after the show last night?

Beantown Bronco
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Here is what I don't get if a movie has the best script, the best director, the best editing and the best sound, how can there even be discussion about which movie is the best?

Wouldn't that be like having the best coach, best QB, best lines, best defense, best RB, best stats and still struggling to win?

Can't really mention players if the movie didn't win any best actors or actresses and supporting actors and actresses.

bowtown
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Are you serious?

When I was living in Europe I toured two concentration camps. Very eerie places. Horrible conditions.

Sorry, both my posts were sarcastic, just poking a little fun and Xray and his feigned outrage at Inglorious Basterds and no doubt the entire Indiana Jones series, many of the James Bond movies, or any other movie that take serious and sensitive past events and turns them into enjoyable FICTION movies that don't depict the enormity of the time time period to a tee. That's all.

I have seen Shindler's List as well as many of the other 200 movies that have been made about WW2 and the Holocaust, and it turns out Tarintino's little romp through it didn't make me throw everything else out the window and begin thinking it was probably a lot more like a caricatured spaghetti western. But then again, I'm really smart.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-08-2010, 11:58 AM

This is just another example of the ****sticks at the movie academy picking the morale story. IF you have the best script and the best director and all the rest, then your movie should be so far ahead of all other movies to win best film.

Easily the hangover should have won, most inventive movie of the year by a mile.

FYI the academy awards lost all credibility when slumdog won everything, I don't remember ever being so bored at a movie - what a joke.

<shrug> i loved slumdog.

Why are we even arguing about this. ITS BASED ON TASTE!

TailgateNut
03-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Sorry, both my posts were sarcastic, just poking a little fun and Xray and his feigned outrage at Inglorious Basterds and no doubt the entire Indiana Jones series, many of the James Bond movies, or any other movie that take serious and sensitive past events and turns them into enjoyable FICTION movies that don't depict the enormity of the time time period to a tee. That's all.

I have seen Shindler's List as well as many of the other 200 movies that have been made about WW2 and the Holocaust, and it urns out Tarintino's little romp through it didn't make me throw everything else out the window and begin thinking it was probably a lot more like a characatured spegetthi western. But then again, I'm really smart.

You forgot the "ass".

Have you seen the one about the Bataan Death March (The Great Raid) my Grandfather in law was part of that group of soldiers incarcerated at Cabanatuan and he told me some of the horror stories. He was also interviewed by the author of the book which was used to make the movie.

bowtown
03-08-2010, 12:19 PM
You forgot the "ass".

Have you seen the one about the Bataan Death March (The Great Raid) my Grandfather in law was part of that group of soldiers incacerated a Cabanatuan and he told me some of the horror stories. He was also interviewed by the author of the book which was used to make the movie.

:thanku:

Haven't seen that one. Looking at it now on IMDB. Looks interesting, I'll check it out.

Kid A
03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Great to see Jeff Bridges walk away with the statue. I consider that more of a lifetime achievement award. He deserves it. Sandra Bullock was a good pick too. She was great in that film. Didn't see Precious. I generally stay away from the heavy duty, emotional catharsis fliks. Avatar was a great hyper-cartoon and will be shown on TV for years to come, much like Independence Day,Armageddon and 2012. Otherwise, forgettable. Inglourius Basterds goes on into my top five list of worst movies ever made. Banal, juvenile, pointless, narcissistic, pathetically violent and some of the worst acting Brad Pitt has ever done. Not even comical enough to be camp. The guy who played the Nazi interrogater was great and deserved the award, but even his performance couldn't save that piece of Tarantino cinematic masturbation.

Of course, once again, the Academy completely flops on its best picture choice. I enjoyed The Hurt Locker. Very well done, edge of the seat thriller with a strong message about how war, and its adrenalin, can become an addictive drug. But the movie they passed on was a masterpiece.

A Serious Man put all of these films to shame. In twenty years, people will look back on this snub as laughable. Of course, the Academy has done it time and time again over the years. Hell, they did it before to the Coen Bros when they selected The English Patient over Fargo. Now, who goes back and watches that mediocre dirge The English Patient? And Fargo? I rest my case. A Serious Man will be a top selection in film studies classes for years to come. It is an instant classic. It asks the most daring questions of our age - Who is God? What does he want from us? Does he exist? What is his message? Why do we suffer? Why do things happen to us? Is there any meaning to all of it? Why am I here?

The Coen Bros stab at the heart of our times, right when the world is wracked by the reactionary extremism of religious fundamentalism they ask the core questions that crack the foundations of religion - the questions nobody wants to ask - the questions that dogma only masks. They take Job and place him in the modern world. Even the great old rabbi, the secretive grand vizier of the film, is reduced to quoting Jefferson Airplane -

When the truth is found to be lies
And all the joy within you dies
Don't you want somebody to love

The Coen Bros have the guts to make a film that reveals that religion has run out of gas when it comes to answering man's deepest, fundamental, existential questions. All it can offer is pathetic rabbis, deacons, priests, imams, (whatever) full of turgid dogma, bland homelies and pointless anecdotes - like a magician with nothing up his sleeves.

That last scene, where the son's nemesis is standing with his back turned (as we always see him) and the rabbi can't open the door to the safety cellar, and then the son calls out to his enemy (because finally, he can repay his debt) and then, finally!, the bully turns, we see his face - and for the first time - we see the tornado, swirling in darkness, headed directly for the kids - it is cinematic genius. The last time I saw a scene that profound was the end of Ran, when Kurosawa placed the blind flute player at the edge of a cliff, tapping his stick on the last threshold before the void.

The Coen Bros have taken all their considerable skills and made a film for the ages. A mind boggling film, filled with amazing scenes and stories and characters. The dreams of Gopnik could be a sub-class all their own! A film that peels off the existential skin of man and frees his spirit to search anew. I can see why some people hated this film. People hated Socrates too. Some questions you're just not supposed to ask.

And there are so many gems within this film, as when Professor Gopnik tells his students, after showing them Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle, "Even if you can’t figure it out, you are still responsible for it on the midterm.” There's life for you. Ha! Even the opening line of the film, a quote from a rabbi, Rashi, who is considered the St. Augustine of Judaism, "Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you,” is both profound and infuriating. And the stories, like the dentist who sees the words, "Help me" in Hebrew on the inside of a patient's teeth and then struggles to understand what it can possibly mean, until finally, when he can find no answer, just saying "Hell with it" and getting back to life. There's some existential comedy for ya. Hell, the opening sequence (Is he a dybbuk or not?) could be an amazing short film all on its own. Where is Hashem to answer all these questions?

The rest is silence.

And once again, Hollywood misses it. Ha! Same as it ever was.

Obviously disagree with you somewhat on Basterds (though maybe not on your analysis of Tarantino himself).

Couldn't agree more on A Serious Man, though. Brutal. Genius. The car crash sequence, the final shot...I really need to see this movie again.

"Just look at that parking lot."

Sadly, in Oscar politics world the Coens got their pat on the back with No Country, so they shouldn't count on much more coming their way.

TailgateNut
03-08-2010, 12:24 PM

Haven't seen that one. Looking at it now on IMDB. Looks interesting, I'll check it out.

If you like the "real McCoy" when it comes to war movies/books, this one is a MUST. One of the things my grandfather in law told me which is still hard to fathom is that they (Japs) would wake them up early in the morning to dig graves and then stand there not knowing if they would be the ones being buried (get shot for no reason) or not, or if the grave was for one of their brothers in arms who died the night before.

TailgateNut
03-08-2010, 12:25 PM

The Book is much better than the movie.http://www.worldcat.org/title/ghost-soldiers-the-forgotten-epic-story-of-world-war-iis-most-dramatic-mission/oclc/45835493&referer=brief_results

Rohirrim
03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Obviously disagree with you somewhat on Basterds (though maybe not on your analysis of Tarantino himself).

Couldn't agree more on A Serious Man, though. Brutal. Genius. The car crash sequence, the final shot...I really need to see this movie again.

"Just look at that parking lot."

Sadly, in Oscar politics world the Coens got their pat on the back with No Country, so they shouldn't count on much more coming their way.

What they should do is have a graduated system. Each actor's vote equals one point. Each director's vote equals one hundred. That would even it out. ;D

broncosteven
03-08-2010, 12:50 PM
I just watched the DVR'd/fast forwarded version. I like how they had each nominee for the actors and actresses express their appreciation. I also loved how Cameron's bloated ego was taken down a notch. Star Trek got some love too, which was nice.

I watched it on DVR but other than the dance sequence I watched the whole thing.

I tried to watch the grammys this year, I got as far as Taylor Swift's singing out of tune before I clicked it off.

The grammys need to watch the Oscars and take a lot of notes.

It is sad that the music industry is running into the ground while the movies get better and better. You cannot match the sound on a Blue ray to an MP3.

Music industry needs to get their act together and promote their product better.

That and stop tweaking these young acts to make them sound passable.

Dukes
03-08-2010, 12:56 PM

The documentary Brothers At War was 10x better and more accurate.

R8R H8R
03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18460_5-reasons-oscars-matter-even-less-than-you-thought.html

Thanks, excellent article. I didn't agree with all of his comparison's, but I did with most of them.

I thought the biggest ripoff in his examples, may have been the first one where both Nicholson (Chinatown) & Pacino (Godfather11) lost to Art Carney (Harry & Tonto); unbelievable.

He gave many other examples, but I thought he missed a big one: and that's when the piece of s*** Out of Africa won best picture over The Color Purple. In fact, for some reason the Academy loved to snub Speilburg each year until he finally won for Schindler's List.

Tombstone RJ
03-08-2010, 01:28 PM

I can't believe it won best picture. It wasn't very good. Really, it wasn't. It's just more BS from the academy. It rewards medoicre films based on it's political agenda instead of the actual merits of the movie.

broncosteven
03-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I can't believe it won best picture. It wasn't very good. Really, it wasn't. It's just more BS from the academy. It rewards medoicre films based on it's political agenda instead of the actual merits of the movie.

I didn't read any political agenda in the movie.

I haven't seen Avatar but I saw Inglorius basterds(SP?) and didn't expect anything from it but it was great.

I think Hurt locker deserved it. The ambush sniper scene was as realistic portral of war that I have ever seen. No one shot and done action sequence, just alot of waiting multiple attempts and more waiting.

It was really based on Renners character and how he couldn't leave something he excelled at. I didn't hear any propaganda about why we were there or why we should send more troops.

watch it again.

snowspot66
03-08-2010, 02:05 PM

That's the problem to me. He didn't use creativity. He ripped shots left and right from countless spaghetti westerns. I'm not sure there was an original shot in the entire movie. It's basically the played out Tarentino violence for the sake of violence crammed into the framework of an old western. He doesn't make his own movies any more. He makes other peoples movies and inserts his nerdgasms into the plot.

bronco militia
03-08-2010, 02:17 PM

I haven't seen Avatar but I saw Inglorius basterds(SP?) and didn't expect anything from it but it was great.

I think Hurt locker deserved it. The ambush sniper scene was as realistic portral of war that I have ever seen. No one shot and done action sequence, just alot of waiting multiple attempts and more waiting.

It was really based on Renners character and how he couldn't leave something he excelled at. I didn't hear any propaganda about why we were there or why we should send more troops.

watch it again.

IMO that was the only believable part of the movie....

yeah, go see the movie. It's not bad, not great, but not bad.

If you want to be convinced you're watching a "best picture" film, pop in Saving Private Ryan.

Dagmar
03-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Are you serious? 7 Academy awards (directed by Steven Spielberg)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108052/

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/28/633502095110658970-facepalm.jpg

Broncomutt
03-08-2010, 02:49 PM
The documentary Brothers At War was 10x better and more accurate.

As a general rule I don't compare fiction and documentary with the same measuring stick, apples and oranges. However, thank you for the recommendation, I look forward to checking it out.

I thought the movie was very suspenseful and entertaining. The sniper battle was very intense and the bloody shell skipping through the sand was brilliant.

I don't watch TV/movies as often as I used to, but I am surprised by the number of people who didn't like this movie as I'm usually very critical of flicks myself. Maybe this one just struck a chord.

Either way, glad it won. :yayaya:

bronclvr
03-08-2010, 02:56 PM
All of these Posts and not one word about the Academy Award for a Football Movie? Color me shocked-

Tombstone RJ
03-08-2010, 03:00 PM

watch it again.

I was saying the Academy is awarding best pic due to it's (the Academy's Stance aka Hollywood's stance) politcal stance that Iraq is bad, not because hurt locker is that good.

Hurt Locker is an ok movie. It did what it was intended to do and that is show an extremely dangerous job being done in Iraq under very hard circumstances.

But is it best pic material. No.

Dukes
03-08-2010, 03:02 PM
As a general rule I don't compare fiction and documentary with the same measuring stick, apples and oranges. However, thank you for the recommendation, I look forward to checking it out.

I thought the movie was very suspenseful and entertaining. The sniper battle was very intense and the bloody shell skipping through the sand was brilliant.

I don't watch TV/movies as often as I used to, but I am surprised by the number of people who didn't like this movie as I'm usually very critical of flicks myself. Maybe this one just struck a chord.

Either way, glad it won. :yayaya:

You can only compare the two on the basis of the war. So your right about not being able to compare the two directly. I watched the two movies back to back and the hurt locker doesn't compare, it actually seemed silly after watching Brothers at War IMO.

Majik
03-08-2010, 05:19 PM
This years Nominees for best picture were awfully weak, no wonder they had to have ten because there really were no clear cut favorites. It would have been a damn disgrace if Avatar won, great special effects doesn't equal good movie. I don't have a problem with The Hurt Locker winning, it was a solid flick but I found it to drag on after 2 hours and I was ready for it to end 10 to 20 minutes before it did.

Up in the Air was my pick (I knew it had no chance at winning) but overall it was a great film, great acting, solid story, and perfect pacing. Not the best movie ever not even in the top 10 or 20 but out of those 9 other movies I enjoyed it the most ( I haven't had the opportunity to see A Serious Man but will as soon as it comes out to video).

Jeff Bridges deserved Best Actor but I thought it was a shame Toby Mcguire didn't get nominated for his powerful performance in Brothers. I'm no Mcguire fan but his performance was incredible.

Christoph Waltz also deserved his Oscar but don't overlook Woody Harrelson's perfomance in The Messenger if you haven't seen that yet.

ScottXray
03-09-2010, 10:10 AM

I have seen Shindler's List as well as many of the other 200 movies that have been made about WW2 and the Holocaust, and it turns out Tarintino's little romp through it didn't make me throw everything else out the window and begin thinking it was probably a lot more like a caricatured spaghetti western. But then again, I'm really smart.

Got your sarcasm too. And yeah, I thought it was like a sphaghetti western. Don't know why, but something about it just pissed me off, and I didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe it was too over the top, but didn't go far enough.
He should have thrown in a talking T-rex or two, stomping and chewing their way through a German division to show that it was all in fun. And it would have been just as realistic. Could have thrown in more gore as they wolf down Himmler or something.

bfoflcommish
03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
This years Nominees for best picture were awfully weak, no wonder they had to have ten because there really were no clear cut favorites. It would have been a damn disgrace if Avatar won, great special effects doesn't equal good movie. I don't have a problem with The Hurt Locker winning, it was a solid flick but I found it to drag on after 2 hours and I was ready for it to end 10 to 20 minutes before it did.

Up in the Air was my pick (I knew it had no chance at winning) but overall it was a great film, great acting, solid story, and perfect pacing. Not the best movie ever not even in the top 10 or 20 but out of those 9 other movies I enjoyed it the most ( I haven't had the opportunity to see A Serious Man but will as soon as it comes out to video).

Jeff Bridges deserved Best Actor but I thought it was a shame Toby Mcguire didn't get nominated for his powerful performance in Brothers. I'm no Mcguire fan but his performance was incredible.

Christoph Waltz also deserved his Oscar but don't overlook Woody Harrelson's perfomance in The Messenger if you haven't seen that yet.

ummm a serious man is already out on dvd

bowtown
03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Got your sarcasm too. And yeah, I thought it was like a sphaghetti western. Don't know why, but something about it just pissed me off, and I didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe it was too over the top, but didn't go far enough.
He should have thrown in a talking T-rex or two, stomping and chewing their way through a German division to show that it was all in fun. And it would have been just as realistic. Could have thrown in more gore as they wolf down Himmler or something.

:rofl: Now that would have won best picture in my book.

broncosteven
03-09-2010, 04:46 PM
ummm a serious man is already out on dvd

I saw it and thought it sucked and almost turned it off, I like what the Cohn(?) brothers have done in the past but this movie was stupid.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I saw it and thought it sucked and almost turned it off, I like what the Cohn(?) brothers have done in the past but this movie was stupid.

I loved it. But im sure it helped that i'm jewish.