PDA

View Full Version : Broncos in mix for Green

broncswin
03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Green To Denver A Possibility
According to his agent Albert Elias, Patriots DL Jarvis Green is weighing his options between returning to the Patriots or signing on with the Denver Broncos.

"We've gotten some calls from other teams so far, but it's the Broncos and Patriots right now," Elias told Comcast SportsNet New England. "We're not going to take visits just to take visits."

Green, 31, has spent his entire career in Foxboro. The 6-foot-3, 295-pound defender started 12 of the 13 games he played in last season. Green had surgery to address a knee issue, which caused him to miss some time.

Patriots: News | Forums | Roster

don't know if this has been posted but how is the knee, this could be very good!!

Paladin
03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but I also would like Edwards......

broncswin
03-07-2010, 12:47 PM
wow, what an upgrade this would be to get Edwards and Green to go along with our other newly aquired biggie

RonDaChamp24
03-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I want Edwards more, but I'll take both :lombardi:

Florida_Bronco
03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I'll take him.

Bigdawg26
03-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah I want the both. Green on one with and Edwards on the other would actually solidify our DE's!

Br0nc0Buster
03-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I would like both Green and Edwards
we need to overhaul our D line

Caligula
03-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Thats a shocker... a patriot to the Broncos? Really? No way

Kaylore
03-07-2010, 01:03 PM
I would love Jarvis Green. As soon as they let him go I was praying we'd sign him.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
This is kinda cool we got someone upstairs that actually has a clue about how important a real D-LINE really is.

elsid13
03-07-2010, 01:09 PM
More old guys yeah!

bowtown
03-07-2010, 01:17 PM
More old guys yeah!

You do realize that any FA with less than 6 years are restricted this year right? That means most of the UFA available are going to be closer to 30 than 20. What would you suggest we do then? Give away our draft picks that we could use on very young guys to procure RFAs? Not address any of our holes at all? What are your suggestions? Which players would you prefer we be signing?

Hercules Rockefeller
03-07-2010, 01:19 PM
More old guys yeah!

Yeah!!! It's the Interwebz, teams can magically create depth by executing 15 trades on draft day to give them 19 players who magically "fall" to where my team picks in each round, instead of signing a FA because they obviously aren't good for **** anymore. None of those 19 picks will be a bust because I know from watching college football and I'm smarter than scouts who get paid to evaluate talent.

Let's list off all the young DL that someone like Green (Bannan and Edwards too) would take playing time from: Bannan might take time from Baker at NT. This team was left with **** for young DL talent from the prior regime, this is a good move.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-07-2010, 01:20 PM
I would love Jarvis Green. As soon as they let him go I was praying we'd sign him.

My sarcasm detector is telling me that you are making fun of teh Bengals fans. Is this correct?

TonyR
03-07-2010, 01:21 PM
What would you suggest we do then?

I am interested to know what the haters/whiners want. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Do they really think we're going to address all of our needs in the draft?

elsid13
03-07-2010, 01:23 PM
You do realize that any FA with less than 6 years are restricted this year right? That means most of the UFA available are going to be closer to 30 than 20. What would you suggest we do then? Give away our draft picks that we could use on very young guys to procure RFAs? Not address any of our holes at all? What are your suggestions? Which players would you prefer we be signing?

I understand that. But instead of adding short term vets, if we are going to rebuild then let rebuild. Accumulate draft picks, and play the young guys to get them experience so we can be ready for deep playoff run in 2012, after the lockout, and beyond. Everyone wants to point to NE method of winning with vets, but even Belicheat has decide that wasn't best thing for his team and is adding lots draft picks to restock that team. This team isn't one or two piece away so let go full bore it remake mode and do it right.

DenverBrit
03-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Jarvis Green takes his time looking for right fit

Ian R. Rapoport
Sunday, March 7, 2010 - Added 15h ago

The race for free agent cornerback Leigh Bodden may be heating up, but defensive end Jarvis Green is just getting started.

Green and his agent, Albert Elias, sat back during the first few days of free agency, making phone calls and focusing on how teams would use him instead of taking visits. Tomorrow, expect the veteran Patriot to either begin taking trips to prospective employers or begin to finalize a deal to stay in New England.

Either way, Green hopes to land with a team who will use him as an inside, nickel rusher in the 3-4 scheme. That’s how he thrived as a Patriot, piling up 14 sacks combined in 2006 and 2007.

Elias believes Green, at 6-foot-3, 285-pounds, is the only available player in that role.

“We are in a unique, unique position to be a free agent,” Elias said yesterday. “We believe he was the only person in free agency in his role, a down lineman who can rush and have sacks in the 3-4 scheme. Numbers prove it. We weren’t worried Friday, because we knew there was nobody (like him). We’ve studied the market.”

It appeared Green was almost certain to leave the Patriots [team stats]. But Green is loyal to the team that found the role for him, and the Pats still have a need for it. His old team is involved.

“It was our job to interview teams, talk numbers, and determine how teams are really going to use him and if he’ll be able to be successful,” Elias said. “I like players finishing contracts. That’s why we’re still in the process of fielding calls. If he’s used in the way he wants to be, he can play as long as he wants.”

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100307jarvis_green_takes_his_time_looking_for_ri ght_fit_plan_of_attack/srvc=home&position=recent

Hercules Rockefeller
03-07-2010, 01:24 PM
I am interested to know what the haters/whiners want. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Do they really think we're going to address all of our needs in the draft?

Yes, on the Interwebz there is always someone who wants to trade up for pick allowing the Broncos to draft someone who falls in fantasy land but won't in reality. They'll bitch about McD's draft last year, but none of the people they think Denver will draft will bust this year and they'll all be rookie contributors.

TonyR
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
...but even Belicheat has decide that wasn't best thing for his team...

Interesting since the Pats want to re-sign him.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I understand that. But instead of adding short term vets, if we are going to rebuild then let rebuild. Accumulate draft picks, and play the young guys to get them experience so we can be ready for deep playoff run in 2012, after the lockout, and beyond. Everyone wants to point to NE method of winning with vets, but even Belicheat has decide that wasn't best thing for his team and is adding lots draft picks to restock that team. This team isn't one or two piece away so let go full bore it remake mode and do it right.

How would you like us to add more draft picks? By trading away our good talent? Doesn't that seem to be cutting off your nose to spite your face? You act like we are going into the draft with no picks at all.

Most draft picks aren't ready to come and contribute right away, you want good experienced vets there to mentor them until they are. THAT's the Patriot way, and it still is. You put strong character vets in place to teach the kids the system, the game and the mentality. Then you replace them with mature youth.

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 01:41 PM
it really is impossible for this team to do right for some people. mcdaniels might take what shanahan called a defensive line and turn it into a legit group in just 2 short years, not to mention the other FA signings (hill, dawkins, goodman).

great, great mix of old and young to keep this team a contender for now and in teh future. just need to hit on more draft picks this year.

TonyR
03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
...great mix of old and young to keep this team a contender for now and in teh future. just need to hit on more draft picks this year.

Exactly. And I'm not sure why people worry about the age thing. You can sign 30 year olds in FA every year and you don't have to keep them forever.

elsid13
03-07-2010, 01:53 PM
it really is impossible for this team to do right for some people. mcdaniels might take what shanahan called a defensive line and turn it into a legit group in just 2 short years, not to mention the other FA signings (hill, dawkins, goodman).

great, great mix of old and young to keep this team a contender for now and in teh future. just need to hit on more draft picks this year.

What youth do you see on defense line?

sixtimeseight
03-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Thats a shocker... a patriot to the Broncos? Really? No way

Post even less.

TonyR
03-07-2010, 01:58 PM

McBean, Baker, Fields, Thomas, etc. and whoever we draft this year. Seriously, who/what would you suggest? How does signing some competition/depth up front preclude them from drafting some DL players? I don't see any downside to these signings. An upgrade is an upgrade and there aren't a lot of 25 yr old upgrades out there. I'm all ears to hear the alternatives.

tsiguy96

in the one year that mcdaniels has had to rebuild a ridiculously bad defense? is he not allowed to sign FA DL who are actually not bad to pretty good to fill in til we get the young stud DL from the draft?

HAT

You do realize the draft isn't until next month right?

TonyR
03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
You do realize the draft isn't until next month right?

He's worried that we'll upgrade the DL and he'll have one less thing to complain about...

Tombstone RJ
03-07-2010, 02:01 PM

I see McD adding depth on the DL before the draft giving him real flexibility in this draft.

eddie mac
03-07-2010, 02:35 PM
TBH given the money Green is probably looking for I wouldn't expect too many teams to be lining up to pay him as a nickle rusher from the inside.

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 02:46 PM
With the potential of 3 D-Line signings... who the **** are we cutting?

P.S. I miss Vonnie Holliday - 5 sacks and 2 FF's in a rotational spot while being an awesome influence.

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I see McD adding depth on the DL before the draft giving him real flexibility in this draft.

just like last year in the secondary. we needed 2 safeties (marlon mcree, marquan manuel must not have fit hte bill...) and a corner, mcdaniels went out and filled those spots along with some DL to allow us flexibility in the draft. dont want to go into the draft NEEDING to draft one specific position very early, and some teams have done just that.

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 02:50 PM

P.S. I miss Vonnie Holliday - 5 sacks and 2 FF's in a rotational spot while being an awesome influence.

he wants to be back, i hope hes back too. holiday, edwards, bannan, fields, thomas, peterson is a solid DL to enter draft with.

Tombstone RJ
03-07-2010, 02:51 PM
just like last year in the secondary. we needed 2 safeties (marlon mcree, marquan manuel must not have fit hte bill...) and a corner, mcdaniels went out and filled those spots along with some DL to allow us flexibility in the draft. dont want to go into the draft NEEDING to draft one specific position very early, and some teams have done just that.

Yep, McD just has to make these drafts count. He can't afford to miss on these picks.

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
he wants to be back, i hope hes back too. holiday, edwards, bannan, fields, thomas, peterson is a solid DL to enter draft with.

We offered him a 1 year 900k contract which was denied (and rightfully so).

In a no cap year and for a 1 year deal we should just pony up and pay the man 2 million for 1 year. He's worth it.

peacepipe
03-07-2010, 02:53 PM
With all the DL being stacked up in FA,I wonder if there is an offensive player McDaniels wants. with all the DL he's signing/trying to sign he's making the DL position less of a need on draft day.

Tombstone RJ
03-07-2010, 02:58 PM
With all the DL being stacked up in FA,I wonder if there is an offensive player McDaniels wants. with all the DL he's signing/trying to sign he's making the DL position less of a need on draft day.

Sam Bradford, trade #6 and #11 and #3 and draft the next great QB in the NFL...

Paladin
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM

In a no cap year and for a 1 year deal we should just pony up and pay the man 2 million for 1 year. He's worth it.

Who the EFF is "WE", man? The Broncos will negotiate what they can afford, and what they think the market is. If you want, you can get out your piggy bank and supplement what the Broncos are offering.

Effing back seat GMs.......

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 03:07 PM

preachin to the choir, i dont make the decisions however. holliday hasnt signed anywhere yet so i would assume hes not gonna get that much anywhere or hes waiting for denver to match.

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
More old guys yeah!

that is how the Patriots won 3 super bowls in a span of 4 years and turned themselves into the best team of this decade. they brought in older experienced solid vets and used them for a few years while drafting those guys replacements and letting the vets help mentor them into eventually taking their jobs.

this isn't like when Shanahan brought in the Browns and really had no one waiting in the wings to come in and take over.

snowspot66
03-07-2010, 04:05 PM

Nobody. We can have as many as we want right now.

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Who the EFF is "WE", man? The Broncos will negotiate what they can afford, and what they think the market is. If you want, you can get out your piggy bank and supplement what the Broncos are offering.

Effing back seat GMs.......

Taking FA talk a little personally are we?

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Nobody. We can have as many as we want right now.

I was obviously talking about down the line when we do roster cuts to hit the 53 man roster.

Dedhed
03-07-2010, 04:26 PM
I was obviously talking about down the line when we do roster cuts to hit the 53 man roster.

With our DL talent, there are a number of options.

chaz
03-07-2010, 04:49 PM

Shouldn't take both picks to move up three spots. 11 might actually be a more highly valued pick than 6 with financial obligations considered.

but i like the gist and i like bradford.

Ziggy
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Great idea. Too bad we'll never get the 6th pick. I agree with your assessment on Bradford though.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 05:09 PM
I'd sure like to see Bradford throw first. I'm really worried that one more big hit and he could be Chad Pennington.

DenverBrit
03-07-2010, 06:03 PM

His ability to read and dissect defenses, his accuracy and leadership make him a special QB.

Not sure there's any way to get high enough to take him, but he'd be a perfect fit for Denver.

extralife
03-07-2010, 06:13 PM
that is how the Patriots won 3 super bowls in a span of 4 years and turned themselves into the best team of this decade. they brought in older experienced solid vets and used them for a few years while drafting those guys replacements and letting the vets help mentor them into eventually taking their jobs.

this isn't like when Shanahan brought in the Browns and really had no one waiting in the wings to come in and take over.

no, the Patriots won 3 super bowls because they had Tom Brady. you stack yourself with place holder vets when you're close to winning.

I don't really care either way, because we need players of SOME kind, but don't kid yourself into thinking you build a contender off the scrap heap.

Dedhed
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM
no, the Patriots won 3 super bowls because they had Tom Brady. you stack yourself with place holder vets when you're close to winning.

I don't really care either way, because we need players of SOME kind, but don't kid yourself into thinking you build a contender off the scrap heap.

The '97 SB team was built largely off the scrap heap. Of course having Elway helps, but the rest of that team was a bunch of castoffs.

All it takes is one or two special players, and then a bunch of scrap-heap role players who work together to get the job done.

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 07:24 PM
The '97 SB team was built largely off the scrap heap. Of course having Elway helps, but the rest of that team was a bunch of castoffs.

All it takes is one or two special players, and then a bunch of scrap-heap role players who work together to get the job done.

that was the major storyline of the saints this year as well..

Dedhed
03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
that was the major storyline of the saints this year as well..

Unless production is just hugely off balance, I'll take a cagey old veteran who just wants to win a title over an entitled young gun every time.

HAT
03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
People really think Bradford is a special QB? LOL, cute.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Unless production is just hugely off balance, I'll take a cagey old veteran who just wants to win a title over an entitled young gun every time.

Age and experience will always overcome youth and skill everytime...

Or thats how that (old) saying goes... ;D

DenverBrit
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
People really think Bradford is a special QB? LOL, cute.

Yeah, really, WTF are they thinking? Ha!

MIKE MAYOCK: You know what, I've done an awful lot of work with the quarterbacks in the past couple of weeks. And I kind of evolved in my opinion of Bradford, and I do think he's a franchise quarterback, with the caveat being that he's got to check out medically.

And I went back and watched a bunch of his game tapes from two years ago, including his two losses, the National Championship Game and the Texas game. And I needed to see him get hit more. I need to see him be under some duress, because that two years ago, for the most part, he stood in the pocket that was beautiful with nobody around him and played pitch and catch and put 60 points a game up there.

But in those two games I just mentioned where he was under duress, he got hit. I thought in the Texas game he struggled a little bit in the fourth quarter, because he got hit an awful lot. I thought his accuracy went down a little bit. But bottom line, to me, I think Sam Bradford is a franchise quarterback and I think he's a Top 10 player.

ZONA
03-07-2010, 10:05 PM
31 isn't that old. He's probably just a tad past his prime but can still be quite an impact player depending on his overall fitness and health in terms of injuries. And the fact he's been playing in a 3-4 for as long as he has can certainly shave a few of those age years off because he wont be out there thinking as much as a younger guy who may not have played in a 3-4. Just my 2 cents.

HAT
03-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, really, WTF are they thinking? Ha!

MIKE MAYOCK: You know what, I've done an awful lot of work with the quarterbacks in the past couple of weeks. And I kind of evolved in my opinion of Bradford, and I do think he's a franchise quarterback, with the caveat being that he's got to check out medically.

And I went back and watched a bunch of his game tapes from two years ago, including his two losses, the National Championship Game and the Texas game. And I needed to see him get hit more. I need to see him be under some duress, because that two years ago, for the most part, he stood in the pocket that was beautiful with nobody around him and played pitch and catch and put 60 points a game up there.

But in those two games I just mentioned where he was under duress, he got hit. I thought in the Texas game he struggled a little bit in the fourth quarter, because he got hit an awful lot. I thought his accuracy went down a little bit. But bottom line, to me, I think Sam Bradford is a franchise quarterback and I think he's a Top 10 player.

Mayock is entitled to his opinions and he's certainly more informed than I....However: In some random universe where he was available at Denver's #11 pick..............PASS.

There's much better coming down the line.

ZONA
03-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Shouldn't take both picks to move up three spots. 11 might actually be a more highly valued pick than 6 with financial obligations considered.

That and each team will probably have their own unique value placed on that pick as the draft progresses and what players are available. For example, say we have the 6th pick. Say Bradford goes #1, then Suh, then McCoy, then Clausen, then Berry. We sit at #6 with the top rates guys of Okung, Campbell and Bulaga, which we don't really need them, having 1 OT already better then those guys and another tackle who is very solid. So we may not value #6 the same way some other team might who wants an OT.

chaz
03-07-2010, 10:59 PM
That and each team will probably have their own unique value placed on that pick as the draft progresses and what players are available. For example, say we have the 6th pick. Say Bradford goes #1, then Suh, then McCoy, then Clausen, then Berry. We sit at #6 with the top rates guys of Okung, Campbell and Bulaga, which we don't really need them, having 1 OT already better then those guys and another tackle who is very solid. So we may not value #6 the same way some other team might who wants an OT.

That's exactly how i see the top five playing out at this point too...6 would be a tough spot for us to be in.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Well i dont think we'll actually get the 6th pick, so its moot. I can see something like 14 and Branch. I guess I'd live with that, though I'd prefer to keep Brandon.

chaz
03-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Well i dont think we'll actually get the 6th pick, so its moot. I can see something like 14 and Branch. I guess I'd live with that, though I'd prefer to keep Brandon.

I get the NE connection, but I don't see how Branch helps us. We already have plenty of undersized "slot-type" WRs...that's not what we need at all.

DB_champ24
03-08-2010, 12:54 AM

ok and have we drafted yet for next season? I highly doubt they don't draft any DL in the draft and I'm sure they would like a good mix of vets and young guys.

Lomax
03-08-2010, 02:21 AM

Yup. Hit the need positions hard then you don't have to worry about finding starters in the draft. Just go get the BPA.

Lomax
03-08-2010, 02:26 AM

You don't do it by buying pricey guys in free agency. You do it by drafting well and finding undrafted gems. But you can become a pretty good team by simply signing solid starters and depth in free agency as well.

The MVPlaya
03-08-2010, 02:39 AM
You don't do it by buying pricey guys in free agency. You do it by drafting well and finding undrafted gems. But you can become a pretty good team by simply signing solid starters and depth in free agency as well.

lol really? New Orleans isn't exactly filled with players that have been on their team their whole life.

elsid13
03-08-2010, 02:48 AM
lol really? New Orleans isn't exactly filled with players that have been on their team their whole life.

Actually they are. The core of that team was draft by Saints - oline, defense line, wide receivers, running backs and most the secondary come from the draft.

Drek
03-08-2010, 04:11 AM

So you're saying we should try to lose for 2 or 3 years in order to stock up on draft talent, then hope to turn the corner with it despite the fact that teams like Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland, KC, etc. have been drafting low for years and never been able to just flip the switch like that?

Just wait for the draft. I'm sure we'll take plenty of DL talent. Last year we signed three starting DBs then drafted three more in the first four rounds. This is how you build to win in both the short and long term. You sign capable veterans and then draft guys to take their job in the near future right behind them.

The MVPlaya
03-08-2010, 04:13 AM
Actually they are. The core of that team was draft by Saints - oline, defense line, wide receivers, running backs and most the secondary come from the draft.

Their MVP on both sides of the ball was not drafted by the team.

Cito Pelon
03-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Ya know, it comes down to some people are just pessimists. No matter what, the glass is half empty. Which is why I call them "Eeyores".

oubronco
03-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Mayock is entitled to his opinions and he's certainly more informed than I....However: In some random universe where he was available at Denver's #11 pick..............PASS.

There's much better coming down the line.

I'm interested as to who is better

Lomax
03-09-2010, 04:28 AM

Wow. Leave it to someone to find the exception to every rule and call that the rule.

I'll raise you Indy, Pittsburgh, New England, and San Diego.

Everybody knows you add your star talent through the draft. Or you do what the Redskins do and buy your talent. How's that working for them?

tsiguy96
03-09-2010, 04:36 AM
few things...clausen is not a top 10 pick. bruce campbell is not a first round OT. the #6 pick is good because some really good player is going to drop to that spot and leave us with a great chance to trade down

The MVPlaya
03-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Wow. Leave it to someone to find the exception to every rule and call that the rule.

I'll raise you Indy, Pittsburgh, New England, and San Diego.

Everybody knows you add your star talent through the draft. Or you do what the Redskins do and buy your talent. How's that working for them?

I'm not saying you can BUY your way into the super bowl - but leave it to people to act as if there is one blueprint to win the Super Bowl.

And why the hell did you throw SD in there? They haven't won sh.it

Broncos haven't made any real splashes of a young player, they're adding solid players and got lucky with Dawkins. Saints core of their offense and defense were signed in FA.

That's all I'm saying - I'm FOR building a team with the draft - but don't sit here and act like there is one blueprint to everything. When you have a philosophy of trying to win every year - you will be active in FA if need be.

Rocket 7
03-09-2010, 12:57 PM
According to Facebook he was signed

Florida_Bronco
03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
According to Facebook he was signed

Coming from a few different sources now.

Lomax
03-09-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm not saying you can BUY your way into the super bowl - but leave it to people to act as if there is one blueprint to win the Super Bowl.

And why the hell did you throw SD in there? They haven't won sh.it

Broncos haven't made any real splashes of a young player, they're adding solid players and got lucky with Dawkins. Saints core of their offense and defense were signed in FA.

That's all I'm saying - I'm FOR building a team with the draft - but don't sit here and act like there is one blueprint to everything. When you have a philosophy of trying to win every year - you will be active in FA if need be.

I added SD because they have been exceptionally talented for years. Whether or not they actually got to the SB. They are almost always one of the top picks to get there.

If there is one blueprint to being a successful team, it is this: Draft Well.

The New Orleans "Aints" had one spectacular season and suddenly they're the poster child for a successful franchise...

:rofl:

Drek
03-10-2010, 05:00 AM

The teams that draft well have an established veteran backbone allowing rookies to come in and learn behind solid contributors.

How do you think that teams like Detroit, KC, Oakland, etc. always have premium draft picks yet never seem to make anything of it? Do top 10 guys really bust more than 20-32 guys? And that magic phenomenon comes to a screeching halt as soon as you get out of the first round, so that 33-40 are horrible picks as well? Tough to believe.

They bust because those bottom feeder teams throw them to the wolves from day one and they never learn how to do their jobs or be professional football players who approach their careers with the right level of maturity and responsibility.

We did it with the secondary last year and we're going to do it with the DL this year. Get some reasonably priced, productive veterans to fill the first string and rotational roles on the depth chart, then let the youth develop behind them. Then when a young guy takes a job its because he's the best guy for that job, not because you drafted him high and just need to shove him out there because you didn't give yourself any other options.

Lomax
03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
The teams that draft well have an established veteran backbone allowing rookies to come in and learn behind solid contributors.

How do you think that teams like Detroit, KC, Oakland, etc. always have premium draft picks yet never seem to make anything of it? Do top 10 guys really bust more than 20-32 guys? And that magic phenomenon comes to a screeching halt as soon as you get out of the first round, so that 33-40 are horrible picks as well? Tough to believe.

They bust because those bottom feeder teams throw them to the wolves from day one and they never learn how to do their jobs or be professional football players who approach their careers with the right level of maturity and responsibility.

We did it with the secondary last year and we're going to do it with the DL this year. Get some reasonably priced, productive veterans to fill the first string and rotational roles on the depth chart, then let the youth develop behind them. Then when a young guy takes a job its because he's the best guy for that job, not because you drafted him high and just need to shove him out there because you didn't give yourself any other options.

Oh I'm not complaining about our moves. Quite the contrary. I'm defending our moves against those who think we should have gotten Peppers, Dansby, etc. and complain that our free agent acquisitions aren't superstars.

Yes, you need a veteran backbone, and you need good coaches. But teams that have drafted well for years have a homegrown backbone of vets instead of having to stretch themselves thin reaching for the premium guys who have nowhere to go but down.