PDA

View Full Version : Broncos want first-rounder for Marshall

BroncoSojia
03-07-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Broncos-want-firstrounder-for-Marshall.html

I fully expect another team to jump into the Brandon Marshall sweepstakes at some point this week. Not certain which team, but it appears Marshall has more than one team interested in his services. I do know this: The Denver Broncos won’t negotiate a trade for Marshall. Either a team is prepared to pay a first-rounder or move along. Denver will not take calls on Marshall; it’s either an offer sheet or he plays in Denver next season. If Seattle really wants Marshall, it will take the sixth pick in the draft….

TonyR
03-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I hope this report is legit because this is exactly the stance they should take.

SoDak Bronco
03-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Good..he is worth every penny and no less then a 1st round pick. If a team isn't going to give that up, then we have an excellent player, and one that was shown the market and he can atleaset say denver didn't pigeon hole him and stop him from possibly moving on.

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I hope this report is legit because this is exactly the stance they should take.

Yeah... especially if a team like Bengals can give us a pick in the 20's for him.

Face it. If a good team from last year want's Brandon we're getting a pick in the 20's which ****ing sucks.

If we ARE letting him go no matter what. I'd rather take Seattle's 14 and a 3rd rounder via a trade.

oubronco
03-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Exactly and shows Marshall who's boss

broncswin
03-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I agree with the above...Bmarsh is worth a top ten...lets hope seattle pulls the trigger and we get their 6th...or a team gives us a proven talent and a pick

SoDak Bronco
03-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Seattle is the best place for Marshall and the Broncos. NFC WEST, not a team we see but once every four years or so. Plus they are a rebuilding team, I would think Pete Carrol wants to make a splash, especially with several free agents leaving without signing. Hopefully they realize they are much better off w/Marshall then they are with that 6th pick. We shall see. I'd take the 14th and 3or4th as well.

azbroncfan
03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Interesting I am surprised no one started a thread on this subject before.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Good!

Paladin
03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Interesting I am surprised no one started a thread on this subject before.

Gosh, yeah!!!!

RonDaChamp24
03-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I agree 100%

Bigdawg26
03-07-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree also! Either a first round pick or nothing!!

Caligula
03-07-2010, 01:01 PM
The report didn't say they are wanting a top 10 pick.. they said a first rounder. No duh.

Hey.. you are have a commodity, do you tell people you will take "anything"f or them? No... you continue to sell the idea that the asking price is HIGH. If you don't, then the fact that his value was lowered by McD last season, is accented. Right now, the Broncos are trying to put on the front that they VALUE Marshall, and wouldn't mind him playing in Denver. Thats horse dung. McD doesnt' want him here, he won't be here, and we are just doing everything we can to get the most for him.

No way Denver passes on the 14th pick.

bronco militia
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
mike lombardi is usually reliable with his sources

NFLBRONCO
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
mike lombardi is usually reliable with his sources

You said this on another site

Clockwork Orange
03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I saw a live roundtable on NFL Network an hour or so ago about this (Lombardi was one of the people on the panel) and they echoed what was said here. They also mentioned that Marshall stayed overnight in Seattle last night, leading them to speculate that Seattle must be at least entertaining the idea of an offer sheet if they're still wining and dining Marshall.

Take it for what it's worth.

NFLBRONCO
03-07-2010, 01:19 PM
I wish Jax would enter sweepstakes then we could have 10,11

Hercules Rockefeller
03-07-2010, 01:22 PM
I saw a live roundtable on NFL Network an hour or so ago about this (Lombardi was one of the people on the panel) and they echoed what was said here. They also mentioned that Marshall stayed overnight in Seattle last night, leading them to speculate that Seattle must be at least entertaining the idea of an offer sheet if they're still wining and dining Marshall.

Take it for what it's worth.

Good. But at least yesterday they said Marshall's agent wasn't in Seattle, when that happens, then things might get serious.

Clockwork Orange
03-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Oh yeah, they also said that another team (they weren't clear on who, but they said possibly Miami) is planning on getting in on the action on Marshall next week.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I wish Jax would enter sweepstakes then we could have 10,11

Why not? JAX could come away with Marshall and TEBOW (would think he would last to their 2nd rounder).

You would think they would be happy with two local boys, their fan base probably would, too.

BroncoSojia
03-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Why not? JAX could come away with Marshall and TEBOW (would think he would last to their 2nd rounder).

You would think they would be happy with two local boys, their fan base probably would, too.

Yeah, and Marshall's teamate from college plays for them also.

I don't think he would mind being able to play along side Sims-Walker again.

gunns
03-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Good, I was almost afraid they might "settle". I don't want the 6 to make a pick, I want it to either trade up and get Suh or McCoy or to stockpile multiple picks.

Requiem
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
We aren't getting either of those players.

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
if we get 6 we trade down with it, no question.

one or two great players will fall, and browns need everything, someone will move ahead to get them.

NFLBRONCO
03-07-2010, 03:16 PM

I was thinking they'd draft Dez at 10 so I thought why not Marshall. Your right Jax needs to do something to draw interest for fanbase.

TonyR
03-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Revisiting the price for Marshall
March, 7, 2010
3:36PM ET
By Mike Sando

The price for Brandon Marshall has been a subject we've considered in depth.

Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post says he knows the Broncos will not negotiate a trade for the talented and disgruntled receiver. The Seahawks' interest in Marshall might be fleeting, then, because I do not think they would gamble the sixth overall choice on a player with such baggage. Would you?

A smart team seeking Marshall's services would protect itself from the off-field issues that make Marshall a candidate for league suspension if the pattern continues. Marshall has produced at an elite level, but there's a reason the Broncos did not tender him at the highest level for restricted free agents. That reason should be self-evident: They aren't committed to him. In fact, they suspended him for the final game of the 2009 regular season.

The Seahawks need a playmaker, but not at any cost. Lombardi says it "appears" more than one team has interest in Marshall. The Ravens looked like a potential candidate until they acquired Anquan Boldin. I'd be surprised if we saw multiple teams standing in line outside Broncos headquarters, ready to pay a first-round bounty for Marshall.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/19637/revisiting-the-price-for-marshall

TonyR
03-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Marshall's visit shows how times change
March, 7, 2010
4:04PM ET
By Mike Sando

Joel Knip of king5.com has posted video showing Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall arriving by seaplane for his visit to Seahawks headquarters Saturday.

The video is shot from a distance. It appears to show Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke and head coach Pete Carroll greeting Marshall, a restricted free agent, after the plane docks.

I found the video more compelling when imagining what former general manager Tim Ruskell might have said if asked to provide running commentary. Ruskell built his Seahawks philosophy around the idea that the team would seek high-character players while avoiding those who had demonstrated patterns of off-field issues.

It's striking that Marshall, a player with numerous arrests on his record, would be the first high-profile free agent the Seahawks courted after Ruskell's resignation.

Times do change.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/19640/marshalls-visit-shows-how-times-change

TonyR
03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Will Denver be flexible on Marshall price tag?
March, 7, 2010
5:13PM ET

Are the Broncos going to play hardball for teams interested in acquiring Brandon Marshall?

The National Football Post believes the Broncos will not negotiate a trade for the Pro Bowl receiver and the team will only surrender Marshall if a team gives up a first-round pick as part of his restricted free agency tender.

Marshall visited the Seahawks this weekend. The Seahawks have the No. 6 pick in the draft. There is little chance Seattle will surrender that pick. I have a difficult time believing Denver wouldn’t talk trade with Seattle. The Seahawks also have the No. 14 pick acquired from Denver) and I’m sure the Broncos would take that pick. If Seattle really wants Marshall, it might have to give up No. 14.

The report says at least another team is interested in Marshall. The Broncos clearly think they can get a first-round pick for Marshall. Still, I’m imagining the Broncos, in the end, will be flexible if a team offers a decent package not involving a first-round pick.

The Marshall situation has long been interesting and this process won’t be any different.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/19645/will-denver-be-flexible-on-marshall-price-tag

Hamrob
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
If the Hawks sign Marshall to an offer sheet and surrender the #6 pick...somebody should be fired.

Here's what they should do...and most likely will do:

They'll work out a deal with a team that drafts late in the 1st round. That team will sign Marshall to an offer sheet. The Broncos will get that draft pick in return.

Then that team will turn around and trade Marshall to the Hawks for the #14 pick.

Denver get's there 1st rounder...(late first)
Unknown team gets to move up in the first round to #14
The Hawks surrender the #14...but keep the #6 to draft Clausen.

Why wouldn't they do that?

TonyR
03-07-2010, 03:54 PM

I think it's more likely they just negotiate directly with Denver. I don't think we'd turn down the #14.

Hamrob
03-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Will Denver be flexible on Marshall price tag?
March, 7, 2010
5:13PM ET

Are the Broncos going to play hardball for teams interested in acquiring Brandon Marshall?

The National Football Post believes the Broncos will not negotiate a trade for the Pro Bowl receiver and the team will only surrender Marshall if a team gives up a first-round pick as part of his restricted free agency tender.

Marshall visited the Seahawks this weekend. The Seahawks have the No. 6 pick in the draft. There is little chance Seattle will surrender that pick. I have a difficult time believing Denver wouldn’t talk trade with Seattle. The Seahawks also have the No. 14 pick acquired from Denver) and I’m sure the Broncos would take that pick. If Seattle really wants Marshall, it might have to give up No. 14.

The report says at least another team is interested in Marshall. The Broncos clearly think they can get a first-round pick for Marshall. Still, I’m imagining the Broncos, in the end, will be flexible if a team offers a decent package not involving a first-round pick.

The Marshall situation has long been interesting and this process won’t be any different.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/19645/will-denver-be-flexible-on-marshall-price-tagI don't think the Broncos can trade Marshall until after the period ends for signing his offer.

Hamrob
03-07-2010, 03:56 PM
I think it's more likely they just negotiate directly with Denver. I don't think we'd turn down the #14.I swear I heard somewhere that they can't trade him until after some period ends.

snowspot66
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
If the Hawks sign Marshall to an offer sheet and surrender the #6 pick...somebody should be fired.

They'll work out a deal with a team that drafts late in the 1st round. That team will sign Marshall to an offer sheet. The Broncos will get that draft pick in return.

Then that team will turn around and trade Marshall to the Hawks for the #14 pick.

Signing and trading a player off of somebody else's team would probably have some pretty negative salary cap effects. I don't know the rules well but it seems to me you would be paying Brandon Marshall for him to play for somebody else.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Signing and trading a player off of somebody else's team would probably have some pretty negative salary cap effects. I don't know the rules well but it seems to me you would be paying Brandon Marshall for him to play for somebody else.

Exactly, just because thre isn't a salary cap this year, doesnt mean there never will be again... and you are taking a huge risk by signing him to a big contract and then turning around and trading him away.

rastaman
03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Good..he is worth every penny and no less then a 1st round pick. If a team isn't going to give that up, then we have an excellent player, and one that was shown the market and he can atleaset say denver didn't pigeon hole him and stop him from possibly moving on.

So Marshall is worth a 1st round pick according to the Broncos....yet they refuse to pay him like a first round draft pick. If teams believe Denver's demands are too high, perhaps teams will just say "See Ya" in 2011. Meanwhile Brandon can say okay Denver ya don't want to pay me first round money and yet you ransomed be for a first round pick! Oh well pay backs a biatach.....ya won't get 100 plus receptions out of me in 2010.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't think the Broncos can trade Marshall until after the period ends for signing his offer.

No, once he signs his tender, he becomes part of the roster and they can do whatever they want with him.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 04:05 PM
So Marshall is worth a 1st round pick according to the Broncos....yet they refuse to pay him like a first round draft pick. If teams believe Denver's demands are too high, perhaps teams will just say "See Ya" in 2011. Meanwhile Brandon can say okay Denver ya don't want to pay me first round money and yet you ransomed be for a first round pick! Oh well pay backs a biatach.....ya won't get 100 plus receptions out of me in 2010.

You are such an idiot.

gunns
03-07-2010, 04:10 PM
We aren't getting either of those players.

A person can dream, I did in 83

rastaman
03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Exactly, just because thre isn't a salary cap this year, doesn't mean there never will be again... and you are taking a huge risk by signing him to a big contract and then turning around and trading him away.

Bowlen's not the only taking a risk signing Marshall! Marshall will be taking risk he'll suffer a season ending or career ending injury every Sunday....while awaiting to be paroled out of Denver.

Right now Marshall needs to put his HEALTH above all else and that includes putting his health above McD's BS and the Teams.

Teams know what Marshall brings to the table and realize in 2010 should Marshall's stats and performance decline, they know its all do to trying to stay healthy until he lands that big financial security Top 5 long term contract while telling the Broncos he no longer wants to play in Denver.

Expect Brandon to take plays off, not run concise routes, look to go out of bounds after every catch--instead of risking injury on YACs! And if he gets nicked up.....expect him to go to McDaniel's and say "Hey McDictator" I can't go today.

Good luck in forcing BMarsh back to Denver in 2010 while vastly under paying him and foolishly expecting him to give it his all like he has the previous 3 seasons.

rastaman
03-07-2010, 04:13 PM
You are such an idiot.

No you are the idiot!

rastaman
03-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Hey BOW-BOW.....do ya still want Brandon back in 2010?

Archer81
03-07-2010, 04:18 PM
A person can dream, I did in 83

That turned out pretty well, if memory serves.

:Broncos:

rastaman
03-07-2010, 04:24 PM

It could still happen. Believe me....McD is hoping it turns out that way, b/c he doesn't want a pissed off'd disgruntled Brandon Marshall screwing up his 2010 season as Denver's HC.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Bowlen's not the only taking a risk signing Marshall! Marshall will be taking risk he'll suffer a season ending or career ending injury every Sunday....while awaiting to be paroled out of Denver.

Right now Marshall needs to put his HEALTH above all else and that includes putting his health above McD's BS and the Teams.

Teams know what Marshall brings to the table and realize in 2010 should Marshall's stats and performance decline, they know its all do to trying to stay healthy until he lands that big financial security Top 5 long term contract while telling the Broncos he no longer wants to play in Denver.

Expect Brandon to take plays off, not run concise routes, look to go out of bounds after every catch--instead of risking injury on YACs! And if he gets nicked up.....expect him to go to McDaniel's and say "Hey McDictator" I can't go today.

Good luck in forcing BMarsh back to Denver in 2010 while vastly under paying him and foolishly expecting him to give it his all like he has the previous 3 seasons.

Dude, my post has absolutely nothing to so with any of this. If you are going to contribute to the discussion, please take the time to figure out what it is about first.

Archer81
03-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Hey BOW-BOW.....do ya still want Brandon back in 2010?

Rogues are preferable to imbeciles because they sometimes take a rest. -Alexandre Dumas.

:Broncos:

snowspot66
03-07-2010, 04:55 PM

Yeah because that will help him get a big pay day.

sixtimeseight
03-07-2010, 05:18 PM
please stop quoting that old dumb piece of ****. ignore him and he'll go away.

UboBronco
03-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Seattle signs Marshall...... We do not match with the understanding of their 6th pick comes to us, but, we agree to give them our 11th pick, for their 14th pick..... They still have a quality higher pick, and we move up and still have 2 choices. I think Dez Bryant, could still fall to 14.... So we replace marshall with him, and get either Bradford, clausen (who I do not like, but a chance they take him), McClain, or maybe Eric berry....

easymobee
03-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I like to see former Broncos fail when they throw a fit to get out of town (see Jay Cutler). So I like Seattle as Hasselback will probably play in half the games, and even then he'll probably only be truly healthy in a few of them. The rest of the time BMarsh will see Seneca Wallace (177 yds is about his avg for a great game). Tebow in Jax would do fine as well. Just no Romo, Palmer, or Brady please.

montrose
03-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I really hope the Broncos go with this stance, offer sheet or he plays in Denver.

broncswin
03-07-2010, 06:25 PM
It could still happen. Believe me....McD is hoping it turns out that way, b/c he doesn't want a pissed off'd disgruntled Brandon Marshall screwing up his 2010 season as Denver's HC.

no no you got it all wrong...McD doesn't want to watch his #1 wr sitting at home wrestling with his brother due to an 8 game suspension for knocking the shiat outta some girl!!

Play2win
03-07-2010, 06:27 PM
I really hope the Broncos go with this stance, offer sheet or he plays in Denver.

also, if we stand firm on this, and Marshal really doesn't want to be in Denver (for obvious reasons), then it will motivate him to visit and seriously consider as many teams and their offer sheets as possible.

ZONA
03-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Marshall is finally going to get paid and good for him but even he has to think back and say to himself, if he wasn't such a jackass off the field, he would be looking at bringing home maybe the 2nd largest WR contract in the league behind Fitz. I honestly believe he would draw that kind of interest if he didn't have 2 strikes already.

ColoradoBuff
03-07-2010, 06:35 PM

They have to according to the Denver Post today. Denver and Seattle can't have compentsation discussions. It's either sign him to an offer sheet or they don't. no bargaining!

here is the article from today's denver post:

To clarify, if the Seattle Seahawks submit an offer sheet to Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall _ and there’s still plenty of “if” about that _ they would do so knowing they would be forced to surrender their original first-round draft pick to the Broncos.

The Seahawks original pick is No. 6 overall in the upcoming draft. They also have the No. 14 overall pick, which they received in a trade from the Broncos last year that involved Alphonso Smith.

As the Seahawks meet with Marshall today the Broncos are to stay clear away from the matter. There is no compensation discussion in the offer-sheet process. Should the Seahawks submit an offer sheet for Marshall, the Broncos would have seven days to match _ or let him go for the No. 6 overall pick. Period.

OBF1
03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list.

TonyR
03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
They have to according to the Denver Post today. Denver and Seattle can't have compentsation discussions. It's either sign him to an offer sheet or they don't. no bargaining!

Wow, this certainly goes against the grain of what we've been hearing and thinking. Here's more:

As the Seahawks meet with Marshall, rules prohibit the Broncos from getting involved in the matter. There is to be no compensation discussion during the offer-sheet process.

If the Seahawks decide they can't reach an agreement with Marshall on a new contract — he figures to command a deal of at least $10 million a year — or the team decides surrendering the No. 6 pick is too costly, there isn't much chance of Seattle acquiring the receiver for alternative compensation via trade.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14528011#ixzz0hXsNagNx

ColoradoBuff
03-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Wow, this certainly goes against the grain of what we've been hearing and thinking. Here's more:

As the Seahawks meet with Marshall, rules prohibit the Broncos from getting involved in the matter. There is to be no compensation discussion during the offer-sheet process.

If the Seahawks decide they can't reach an agreement with Marshall on a new contract — he figures to command a deal of at least $10 million a year — or the team decides surrendering the No. 6 pick is too costly, there isn't much chance of Seattle acquiring the receiver for alternative compensation via trade.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14528011#ixzz0hXsNagNx

That pretty much sums up my post above. Seattle and Denver can't have alternative compensation discussions for Marshall. It's either Seattle's 6th pick or he remains with Denver or another team tries to sign him to an offer sheet. So all this talk about the 14th pick or other picks....never gonna happen!

bowtown
03-07-2010, 06:56 PM
That pretty much sums up my post above. Seattle and Denver can't have alternative compensation discussions for Marshall. It's either Seattle's 6th pick or he remains with Denver or another team tries to sign him to an offer sheet. So all this talk about the 14th pick or other picks....never gonna happen!

This doesn't make any sense. How were the Dolphins and Patriots able to negotiate for Welker before he signed an offer sheet? The CBA rules stipulate that clubs can't offer incentives to teams to not match offers or not to sign players to offer sheets, but technically that's not what would happen if Brandon agrees to sign the tender and is then traded. The compensation would be for the player. I don't think this report is correct.

ColoradoBuff
03-07-2010, 07:06 PM
This doesn't make any sense. How were the Dolphins and Patriots able to negotiate for Welker before he signed an offer sheet? The CBA rules stipulate that clubs can't offer incentives to teams to not match offers or not to sign players to offer sheets, but technically that's not what would happen if Brandon agrees to sign the tender and is then traded. The compensation would be for the player. I don't think this report is correct.

Why not? Schefter has been saying the same thing....Marshall for the 6th pick PERIOD!

It doesn't make sense for Denver to tender him at a first round level, only to have teams come and try to bargain on the level of compensation.

TonyR
03-07-2010, 07:52 PM
This doesn't make any sense. How were the Dolphins and Patriots able to negotiate for Welker before he signed an offer sheet?

Agree this is confusing. Either this situation is somehow different, the rules have changed, or this report is wrong.

Here's an ESPN article on the Welker trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788847

ESPN.com first reported Saturday that the Patriots planned to sign Welker to a restricted free agent offer sheet. But the two teams obviously decided to avoid the red-tape and uncertainty that accompanies such a transaction and opted for a trade instead.

The Dolphins last week made Welker a qualifying offer of $1.3 million.

Had the Patriots officially executed the offer sheet to Welker, the Dolphins would have had seven days to either match it or pass on it. Under that scenario, if Miami matched the offer sheet, it would have retained Welker at the terms of the deal New England negotiated with him. If the Dolphins did not match the offer sheet, they would have received a second-round pick in the 2007 draft from the Patriots as compensation.

The trade agreement, though, renders moot the question of whether Miami would have matched an offer sheet and allows Welker to immediately move to the Pats.

rastaman
03-08-2010, 05:12 AM
This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list.

This message is hidden because CBF1 is on Rastman's ignore list. :~ohyah!:

rastaman
03-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Yeah because that will help him get a big pay day.

Brandon's longevity and staying healthy are the key's to eventually getting that big pay day.

Marshall already knows playing like a beast in Denver is not the keys to getting a big day b/c he puts himself in higher risks of getting injured by playing recklessly. He can't get that big pay day if he's injured. And continuing to play as he has over the last three years greatly enhances his chances of getting injured.

Brandon has already proven over the last three years on the FIELD of play that he deserves to be paid Fitzerald type money. Why risk injury and a shortened career by playing like a BEAST for a team that doesn't value your ability and are throwing every trick in the book NOT TO PAY YOU Your self worth in 2010!;)

robbieopperude
03-08-2010, 05:37 AM
I keep seeing replays of Marsh punting balls in practice and wondering if Fitzgerald would do such a thing.

BroncoMan4ever
03-08-2010, 06:09 AM
I keep seeing replays of Marsh punting balls in practice and wondering if Fitzgerald would do such a thing.

maybe during end of practice joke around reps. similar to McDaniels having linemen doing fair catches. but being just a straight up bitch, not a chance in hell of Fitz doing something like that, even if he wanted a new deal.

chrisp
03-08-2010, 06:15 AM

I think that the article is being everso slightly disengenuous....I believe that the situation is, IF Brandon signs an offer sheet with the Seahawks THEN there is no discussion - the official compensation is the #6 pick like it or leave it. HOWEVER, if no offer sheet is signed then teams are free to discuss whatever trades they like. So far Brandon has no offer sheet, so what happened was just a chat with some old mates :-)

The only way I can see that what's I've just said is wrong is if there are any rules against trading tendered players - and the Welker deal seems to suggest there are not. Without such rules then as long as Brandon doesn't sign anything the Broncos and Seahawks are free to discuss whatever trade scenarios they wish. Brandon visited, but was not given an offer sheet.

BUT the Denver post does seem to be acting as unofficial mouthpiece for the Denver front office at the moment, and that front office appears to want to play hardball on this issue: at the moment they are saying #6 or nothing, the implication being that if Seattle want to deal, they better offer something equivalent value to the #6 pick. I get the feeling that the article has been written in such a way to present a negotiating position as fact (a vary common and basic negotiating tactic), but it is a reminder to the Seahawks that the Broncos are in a strong position, particularly as they would probably be more than happy to have Brandon back next year.

So to say 'Denver can't get involved in the discussion' is only partly true: they can't get involved in the specific RFA offer sheet discussion. However they probably can have an entirely separate discussion with the same team about a potential trade.

Kind of the Denver FO saying: "the ball's in your court Seattle, whatchya wanna do...?"

Personally, I would rather have Brandon back next year than the #6 pick in the draft. Equivalent value in #14 and a few other picks,well maybe but I don't see that coming our way becuase Seattle are in a bit of a rebuilding mode right now...

BroncoMan4ever
03-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Brandon's longevity and staying healthy are the key's to eventually getting that big pay day.

Marshall already knows playing like a beast in Denver is not the keys to getting a big day b/c he puts himself in higher risks of getting injured by playing recklessly. He can't get that big pay day if he's injured. And continuing to play as he has over the last three years greatly enhances his chances of getting injured.

Brandon has already proven over the last three years on the FIELD of play that he deserves to be paid Fitzerald type money. Why risk injury and a shortened career by playing like a BEAST for a team that doesn't value your ability and are throwing every trick in the book NOT TO PAY YOU Your self worth in 2010!;)

the team values his play, and if he had Eddie Royal's attitude and no off the field bull**** and wasn't 1 **** up away from missing half a season, Denver would have given him an extension immediately after the 2008 season

but because he is a jackass that punches up women, makes a fool of himself in the press and on the practice field, has double digit arrests, has been suspended once by the league and twice by the team, and is one stupid mistake (judging by his persona it will happen soon) away from an 8 game suspension.

he is a headache. and to this franchise isn't worth that kind of coin.

and before someone says you can't just let that kind of talent go. yes you can. TO is the perfect example. in his prime he was better than Marshall right now, and his attitude got him traded and then cut, regardless of talent if the guy is a bigger distraction to the team than he is contributor, get rid of him.

INbronco
03-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Either Brandon is given an offer sheet by prospective team or he signs his tender and could be traded. It is risky for a player to sign the tender because then he is under contract to the team and they could just keep him. On the other hand if both teams and the player have worked out a mutually satisfactory trade deal then the player has some confidence that the trade will go down as planned. Still a risk to the player.

bowtown
03-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Either Brandon is given an offer sheet by prospective team or he signs his tender and could be traded. It is risky for a player to sign the tender because then he is under contract to the team and they could just keep him. On the other hand if both teams and the player have worked out a mutually satisfactory trade deal then the player has some confidence that the trade will go down as planned. Still a risk to the player.

Any team who agreed to trade a player and then didn't after he signed the tender would probably have a pretty huge grievance filed against them by the players union. I'm guessing Marshall's camp would also probably request something in writing before he signed to keep such a thing from happening.

oubronco
03-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Fitzgerald was getting paid top money from the get go

Beantown Bronco
03-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Fitzgerald was getting paid top money from the get go

People DO NOT change who they are for the better once they get money. Anyone arguing that the only reason Marshall has had off-field issues, legal problems and suspensions are because he's been "disrespected" financially are, to put it bluntly, insane.

I can point to dozens of examples of guys to support my side of this argument. I ask for one.....just one example.....of a guy who has had Marshall's issues and then managed to turn it all around at the drop of a hat just because he got paid what he felt he was worth.

oubronco
03-08-2010, 08:02 AM
People DO NOT change who they are for the better once they get money. Anyone arguing that the only reason Marshall has had off-field issues, legal problems and suspensions are because he's been "disrespected" financially are, to put it bluntly, insane.

I can point to dozens of examples of guys to support my side of this argument. I ask for one.....just one example.....of a guy who has had Marshall's issues and then managed to turn it all around at the drop of a hat just because he got paid what he felt he was worth.

Just sayin if he would've been paid like Fitz it would be a different story

i4jelway7
03-08-2010, 08:10 AM
per adam schefter

Marshall also said he sitll very open to staying in Denver and would not be surprised if this process lasts until the NFL draft.

Popcorn Sutton
03-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Just sayin if he would've been paid like Fitz it would be a different story

What?

Fitz was clean as a whistle coming out of college.

Marshall:

Oct. 31, 2004: During his junior year at the University of Central Florida, Brandon Marshall faced misdemeanor charges of trespass, resisting arrest without violence, disorderly conduct, refusal to obey and assault on a police officer after an argument with an off-duty Florida Highway Patrol officer turned heated at an Orlando Denny's restaurant. According to the off-duty officer, Marshall, who'd been asked to leave the restaurant for creating a disturbance, accused the officer and the restaurant manager of being "racist," threatened to sue Denny's and the Florida Highway Patrol and said he was "a star and a well-known athlete." Marshall screamed profanities and locked his fists as if he were preparing to strike the officer, according to the report. The charges were later dismissed.

April 8, 2005: Marshall was charged with retail theft, a misdemeanor, after trying to return a stolen set of bed sheets, valued at $19.99, to a Burlington Coat Factory, according to a police report of the incident. The charge was later dropped.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can manage to blame Marshall's mishaps on the Broncos.

This is a new one though. If only the Broncos had paid him more. WOW!!!!

chex
03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
it never ceases to amaze me how people can manage to blame marshall's mishaps on the broncos.

This is a new one though. If only the broncos had paid him more. Wow!!!!

+1

oubronco
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
What?

Marshall:

It never ceases to amaze me how people can manage to blame Marshall's mishaps on the Broncos.

This is a new one though. If only the Broncos had paid him more. WOW!!!!

where did anyone blame the Broncos for Marshall's mishaps? And he has said all along he wants to be paid like his production so spin it how you want

Popcorn Sutton
03-08-2010, 09:15 AM
where did anyone blame the Broncos for Marshall's mishaps? And he has said all along he wants to be paid like his production so spin it how you want

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2770231&postcount=71

Who's spinning what here? You can go on thinking off the field issues have nothing to do with multi-million dollar contracts but here in reality we are seeing it play out with Brandon Marshall.

If Marshall had no off the field incidents and he wasn't one step from a half season suspension, we wouldn't be having this discussion. What does that tell you?

Garcia Bronco
03-08-2010, 09:44 AM
What?

Marshall:

That and Fitzgerald is a better receiver and people know who he was coming out of college.