PDA

View Full Version : colt likes the broncos

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 09:18 AM
SI_RossTucker

Colt named the Broncos and Redskins as two teams he has had good conversations with and would love to play for.

someone likes mcdaniels? no wai!

bronco610
03-07-2010, 09:21 AM
God, I hope not !!!

Tombstone RJ
03-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Colt McCoy, the next Drew Brees (only slightly taller)? It'd be real interesting if the Broncos take McCoy. I bet there'd be a lot of meltdowns on the Omane...

Kaylore
03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Colt McCoy? A diminutive guy with a bum shoulder? No thank you.

Drek
03-07-2010, 09:32 AM
McCoy would be a good pick if he slides to us in the 2nd round.

Kid A
03-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Yeah, I could live with that. For issues mentioned earlier, their are a ton of question marks, but he's got some definite ability and I would have zero trouble rooting for the kid. Despite playing for friggin Texas, I always thought he was one of the most likable players in college football.

misturanderson
03-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Colt McCoy? A diminutive guy with a bum shoulder? No thank you.

Don't forget that he played in a college system that is notorious for making QBs look good in college that have no shot of making it in the NFL. That team is essentially the college equivalent of an NFL team with every position (except QB on most occasions) filled by a top 10 pick.

Hamrob
03-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Fake.

Bum shoulder...my ass. He had a pinched nerve. Big F...ing deal!

He allows his team to lose the NCAA Championship because daddy talked him out of playing in the 2nd half. Son, you need to be careful or you won't get that maga NFL deal.

He's a punk.

Since then, he's been throwing every week...50yd throws from what I understand. So, where is he at the combine....well, last minute, he comes out and says...I can't throw because of my owie!

Colt McCoy = PUNK

He let his teammates down for his own personal benefit. He's a phoney! No Thanks.

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Don't forget that he played in a college system that is notorious for making QBs look good in college that have no shot of making it in the NFL. That team is essentially the college equivalent of an NFL team with every position (except QB on most occasions) filled by a top 10 pick.

oddly enough, this is what ross said next:

SI_RossTucker

The interesting thing to me about the success Colt had at UT is that his teams weren't exactly loaded with NFL players. Think about it.

misturanderson
03-07-2010, 09:46 AM

I can't really agree with this. He has way too many legitimate physical shortcomings to consider him before the late 3rd in my opinion, and even then there are probably 3 or 4 other QBs I would personally rather have.

The guy looked good in a college offense that consistently fails to produce good NFL QBs. Are there any good NFL QBs developed under Mack Brown? Vince Young is the closest thing to it and he is only good because he's a physical freak.

Graham Harrel from Texas Tech went undrafted last year and he had better stats in almost every concievable way as a Sophomore, Junior and Senior as well as better physical attributes. What reason does McCoy have to even go drafted other than name recognition? Is the QB class this year really that much worse than last year?

gyldenlove
03-07-2010, 09:53 AM

SI_RossTucker

The interesting thing to me about the success Colt had at UT is that his teams weren't exactly loaded with NFL players. Think about it.

That is BS.

The number of players from Texas who were drafted in 2007-2009 per year: 5.3 per year.

2006-2004: 4.3.

2000-2003: 2.5.

He has had more NFL players per year than any other Texas QB in recent history - what a bull**** argument.

These are some of the players he had: Limas Sweed, Jamaal Charles, Brian Orakpo, Frank Okam, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Justin Blalock, Jermichael Finley, Tim Crowder and Roy Miller. All of those players except for Frank Okam were drafted in the top 3 rounds. To that list we can add Earl Thomas, Sergio Kindle, Jordan Shipley, Lamarr Houston who all have great chances of being drafted in the top 3 rounds this year.

Mccoy had more NFL players than VY did, more than Simms did.

RhymesayersDU
03-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Fake.

He allows his team to lose the NCAA Championship because daddy talked him out of playing in the 2nd half. Son, you need to be careful or you won't get that maga NFL deal.

He's a punk.

Since then, he's been throwing every week...50yd throws from what I understand. So, where is he at the combine....well, last minute, he comes out and says...I can't throw because of my owie!

Colt McCoy = PUNK

He let his teammates down for his own personal benefit. He's a phoney! No Thanks.

ROFL, the stupidity of people on this board never ceases to amaze me. Win one game in college and potentially ruin your life, or sit one out and have all your wildest dreams come true.

Yeah, what a punk for thinking logically. Waaaaaah.

Caligula
03-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Fake.

He's a punk.

Colt McCoy = PUNK

Thats the biggest bunch of crap that I've ever read.

misturanderson
03-07-2010, 10:01 AM

SI_RossTucker

That is flat out untrue. There have been plenty of Texas players drafted into the NFL since Colt has played for them. More than played with any other QB in the past decade for Texas. On top of that, a fair number of offensive players that he played with were either drafted (Sweed, Charles, Finley, Hills, Blalock, Studdard) or picked up as a UDFA (Young, Cosby), and that doesn't include those that will be picked up this year.

I'm not sure if there are any QBs in the past decade that have played on a team with more NFL talent than Colt McCoy, certainly none outside of the SEC or USC.

cutthemdown
03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm glad Raiders felt Brees shoulder was dust and passed on him in FA.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Colt McCoy, the next Drew Brees (only slightly taller)? It'd be real interesting if the Broncos take McCoy. I bet there'd be a lot of meltdowns on the Omane...

At Purdue Drew Brees threw for over 500 yards in a game twice, for over 400 yards seven times, and over 300 yards sixteen times. Has McCoy done anything close to that?

They are not even in the same league. That said, who knows, Colt might be a decent developmental QB to take in the mid rounds.

JCMElway
03-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Folks, he could not throw the ball. Literally. He no feeling in the shoulder and the ball would only flutter. Here's the story on Yahoo. If there was any way McCoy could have played in the game, he absolutley would have. Colt's heart or toughness should not be questioned. And no, I'm not a Longhorn fan.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-texasqbs010810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

PASADENA, Calif. – Colt McCoy lined up about 7 yards from his dad, Brad. This was inside the Texas locker room underneath the Rose Bowl bleachers, the Longhorns quarterback missing the biggest game of his career, about to attempt the most important throw of his life.

Colt had the ball and was going to pass it to his dad as a slew of doctors and trainers watched closely. How many times had these two thrown a football back and forth, from their yard in little Tuscola, Texas, to the practice fields of Jim Ned High School, where the dad was the coach and the son was the star?

“Millions,” Colt said. “Millions of times.”

Colt had just lied to the Texas doctors and said that he was capable of returning to the BCS title game against Alabama. A hit by the Tide’s Marcell Dareus, on the fifth play of the game, had sent him to this locker room. He wanted back out there. So he tried to sound convincing despite the fact his arm felt “like a noodle.”

He hadn’t come this far to sit. Colt McCoy was going to lead Texas to the championship. He believed this. He’d always believed this. When he went down, he said, “We were about to dominate.” They weren’t going to lose, not where the Longhorns had last won a championship in 2005, not against a team against whom they’d never lost, certainly not 37-21, as the scoreboard would show after 60 minutes.

Yet on the TV in the corner, he had seen it all fade away in his absence. Alabama was rolling; Texas’ early lead was long gone.

So Colt gripped the ball, stared at his dad and thought, “It’s just a simple throw.” He threw. The ball went soft and wide. Everyone grimaced. “Give it to me again,” Colt demanded. Brad got the ball and gave it back to his son. The next throw was the same, bouncing harmlessly away. “Give it to me again,” Colt said, again. Brad did.

It was the same. It was over. Colt couldn’t throw it 7 yards to his own father. “My arm was dead,” he said. The dad hugged his son. The son broke down and cried.

“There’s no pain on my body,” Colt said later. “If I was a free safety, I’d go out there and make a tackle. I [just] have no strength to throw a football.”

There were the two quarterbacks in the halftime locker room and they could’ve had a debate over who was having a worse night. Was it the guy who couldn’t complete a 7-yard pass to his dad? Or the one whose only completion of the game at that point had resulted in a 4-yard loss?

There was no commiserating. McCoy was in Gilbert’s face; not shouting, just teaching. This is what Vince Young had done for McCoy and Chris Simms had done for Vince Young and so on and so on.

“This season I taught him everything I know,” McCoy said.

He needed Gilbert to remember a most important lesson – how to forget. The first half was done and gone. Nothing was going to change it.

“‘You’ve got to forget about everything, ‘” McCoy told him. “‘You’ve got nothing to gain. You’ve got nothing to lose. You’ve got nothing to prove. Just go out there and practice.’”

Gilbert nodded. What the heck, right? It couldn’t get any worse. At this point, pretty much every single person in the stands and every single person watching at home and probably every single person in the Texas locker room thought that the game was over because if Garrett Gilbert was not capable of completing a screen pass, he wasn’t going to lead a historic comeback.

Then Gilbert went out in the third quarter and he completed a pass. It was for just 3 yards but they were positive yards. It felt like a weight went off his shoulder. A few plays later he hit Marquis Goodwin on a short pass that the speedy wideout turned into a 39-yard gain.

“I started to see the field better,” Gilbert said. “I started to complete some passes.”

On the sideline, wearing a headset, Colt McCoy kept screaming encouragement. He kept telling his replacement he could do this.

Near the end of the quarter Gilbert threw a slant for a 44-yard touchdown and jumped around in joy. In the fourth quarter he did it again, throwing a beautiful-28 yard TD. Then he whipped one into Dan Buckner’s arms for the 2-point conversion.

Alabama 24, Texas 21.

The game that was seemingly lost was now a three-point contest. The Texas defense held again. Alabama punted and with 3:14 remaining, Garrett Gilbert walked out on the field, the same field he played so poorly on, huddled up his teammates, the same ones who couldn’t be faulted in doubting his ability, and told them they were about to drive down the field to either tie or win the BCS title game.

“We’re going to take it down there,” Gilbert said.

They believed him.

From the sideline McCoy saw the blitz coming from Gilbert’s blind side. Gilbert said he felt it too. Alabama linebacker Eryk Anders was coming fast, faster than Gilbert realized. Anders crushed Gilbert, springing the ball loose. For a split second, before he got buried into the turf, Gilbert saw the comeback, the game, the championship bounce away.

He prayed one of his guys would get it. They didn’t. Alabama did on Texas’ 3-yard line. A few plays later the Tide scored. Later they scored again. The game ended with Alabama taking a knee and Nick Saban getting a Gatorade bath and a crimson-and-white confetti shower.

McCoy got run down by ABC’s Lisa Salters, who wanted to talk to him on live television. As they stood and waited for the producer to throw it to them, McCoy’s eyes glazed over, the nightmare on top of the nightmare sinking in. When she finally asked him a question, he barely could muster an answer.

By then Gilbert was walking toward the UT locker room, his heartbroken teammates running up and patting him on the back, trying to tell him to pick his head up. This wasn’t on him, they said. Be proud of what you did, they whispered.

He’d thrown four interceptions though. There was that disastrous fumble. And the first half where he’d done nothing, where the hole had been dug.

It all kept running through his mind, he said, and suddenly the emotional roller coaster, the wildest four hours of Garrett Gilbert’s life hit him all at once.

He started to cry.

Colt McCoy was standing in front of his locker for the last time as a Texas Longhorn. He didn’t want it to end. Certainly not like this, his right arm hanging limp, another team celebrating across the way.

“I’ve given everything I had to Texas,” he said. “I’ve given everything I had to college football. I did everything I could. I worked my whole career to be put on this stage. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be taken away like that.”

Down the row of lockers Gilbert was crushed, spent and exhausted. He even looked a little confused. “It hasn’t sunk in yet,” he said. He too couldn’t believe this had happened. Not the McCoy injury – “he never gets hurt.” Not his early struggles. Not his comeback. Not the final futility.

The two quarterbacks, both sons of Texas who dreamed of leading Texas to a championship, shared the same pain and disappointment. Yet where there was finality for the senior, there was a glimmer of hope for the freshman.

“This was the end,” McCoy said, shaking his head.

“This is something to build on,” Gilbert offered up.

This is the losing locker room of the biggest game. This is stars coming and stars going, fortunes rising and careers falling. This is injuries and opportunities; worst-case scenarios and near impossible comebacks. This is two quarterbacks on one team dealing with the same overwhelming night where both of them felt like they’d lost everything.

elsid13
03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
McCoy reminds me a less flaky Plummer or Alex Smith. I think that he was great college QB surround by lots of talent and system that helped him be successful, but I don't think he going to be great NFL QB. I have problems with accuracy in mid range area of the field and his ability to drive the ball outside the numbers

Caligula
03-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I've never seen that from McCoy, but that does sound like the problem with our current starter.

HILife
03-07-2010, 10:30 AM

http://primeroydiezmx.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/art54.jpg

A lot of guys with their shirts off in that picture and no women in sight. hhhhmmmmm

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2008/05/0522_vince_young_ap_blogxilla.jpg

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Colt is a winner. If he plays that game vs Alabama they win.

A year ago, UT played OSU in the Fiesta Bowl. OSU hit him with everything and the kitchen sink. He kept coming. VS one of the best defenses in college football he threw for over 400 yards and a game winning last second TD capping a long drive.

The guy is not only a winner, but a vey good, accurate qb who is very athletic.

If he is there in the 2nd...take him.

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 10:33 AM
i know nothing about him...

how is his athleticism and arm strength?

elsid13
03-07-2010, 10:35 AM
i know nothing about him...

how is his athleticism and arm strength?

decent feet, average NFL arm, ball flutters on intermediate and deep passes

Tombstone RJ
03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
At Purdue Drew Brees threw for over 500 yards in a game twice, for over 400 yards seven times, and over 300 yards sixteen times. Has McCoy done anything close to that?

They are not even in the same league. That said, who knows, Colt might be a decent developmental QB to take in the mid rounds.

Eh, no... not saying McCoy is gonna be another Brees, just saying IF he can be another Brees. There were plenty of questions about Brees coming out of Purdue...

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 10:37 AM
He has very good feet, a quick release and a very average arm.

His pro day will be telling.

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 10:41 AM
The qb that is most like Brees that Denve could get cheap?

Troy Smith. Shorte dude with good feet, good wheels, accurate and a very strong arm.

He was set to start flacco's rookie year and had a life threatening viral infection. His mechanics are flawless.

Physically he is very similar to Brees.

HorseHead
03-07-2010, 10:43 AM
stop this madness...LeFevour is better..bigger, tougher...'nuff said..

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Troy Smith. Shorte dude with good feet, good wheels, accurate and a very strong arm.

He was set to start flacco's rookie year and had a life threatening viral infection. His mechanics are flawless.

pointed this out on another forum, and he only has a 5th round tender on him.

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Tougher? No.

Better? Maybe.

Bigger? Yes.

Another note on both: they both spent their carriers in the gun running a variation of the spread offense. Both would require recoaching under center.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Eh, no... not saying McCoy is gonna be another Brees, just saying IF he can be another Brees. There were plenty of questions about Brees coming out of Purdue...

Right. I'm just saying there are probably others that compare closer to McCoy than Drew Brees. Brees was, and always will be, a thrower. Drew Brees looks to throw as soon as the ball is in his hand. Just because they are close to the same height, doesn't mean they are the same QB. Brees is dynamic.

Again, for a mid-round pickup, Colt wouldn't be bad, but there are definitely other QBs out there that are better comparisons to Colt than Drew Brees.

BTW- What a cool name DREW BREES is... its the freaking sh*t-- real first name Andrew...

broncos-rock
03-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Tougher? No.

Better? Maybe.

Bigger? Yes.

Another note on both: they both spent their carriers in the gun running a variation of the spread offense. Both would require recoaching under center.

The only name you have to remember is Hiller! The kid that mcdaniels dad coached in highschool.

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 10:52 AM
pointed this out on another forum, and he only has a 5th round tender on him.

He's worth the 5th. He's better than Simms and Branstatter now...and maybe better than Orton who is totally underrated.

Troy Smith could be very good.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Yeah, but is he a thrower? I think Brees's best attribute is his mentality. He's looking to throw the ball as soon as it hits his hands.

*WARHORSE*
03-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Its not his ability that scares me. I would chance a second day pick on him perhaps.

But when one fairly strong hit can send his shoulder into noodleland..........no thanks.

If we were ever in the superbowl, that would be in my mind the whole game.

And in the opposing defenses too.

hookemhess
03-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Fake.

He's a punk.

Colt McCoy = PUNK

You have no idea what you're talking about. I've got friends on the team and it's no secret that he couldn't hit a target less than 10 yards away. He couldn't feel his shoulder. Ever had a pinched nerve? You're right, it's no bum shoulder, but try throwing a football with zip after pinching a nerve in your shoulder. The guy would have given his left nut to go back out and play so that we could have won that game.

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah, but is he a thrower? I think Brees's best attribute is his mentality. He's looking to throw the ball as soon as it hits his hands.

Yup...the misconception about Smith is that he is a scrambler. His senior year be won the Heisman by throwing the ball and throwing it well.

You are right about Brees's mentallity. But that goes for any qb. Smith is a very good leader but still needs to learn.

hookemhess
03-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Vince Young has no shot of making it in the NFL? He is a WINNER. People with always hate him and talk ****, but he wins. And I like winners.

Jake Plummer may have thrown more interceptions (wait, maybe not) or played ugly, but he won more regular season and playoff games than Jay Cutler.

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Vince Young has no shot of making it in the NFL? He is a WINNER. People with always hate him and talk ****, but he wins. And I like winners.

Jake Plummer may have thrown more interceptions (wait, maybe not) or played ugly, but he won more regular season and playoff games than Jay Cutler.

young is no joke. Look at the Titans with Collins and with Young. Young single handedly turned that team around.

elsid13
03-07-2010, 11:16 AM
young is no joke. Look at the Titans with Collins and with Young. Young single handedly turned that team around.

Chris Johnson?

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Chris Johnson?

Chris Johnson played with Collins too.

Plus Young helped Johnson. Look at Johnsons number with Collins and with Young. The data is...eye catching.

misturanderson
03-07-2010, 11:28 AM

My point was that Mack Brown can't develop NFL QBs, which is why McCoy has little shot of making it in the NFL. He doesn't have the elite physical talents that Young has to allow him to make plays while he is being developed into a real quarterback (which I mentioned later, but Young's NFL success has nothing to do with his career at Texas).

I seriously question McCoy's ability to make plays when his team isn't filled with players that are light years better than almost every opponent they are facing. It is a valid concern that bears out in every Texas QB drafted from Mack Brown's teams with the only possible exception being Young who still hasn't proved much.

Pony Boy
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
I want the kid that came in for Colt when he got hurt .........

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
My point was that Mack Brown can't develop NFL QBs, which is why McCoy has little shot of making it in the NFL. He doesn't have the elite physical talents that Young has to allow him to make plays while he is being developed into a real quarterback (which I mentioned later, but Young's NFL success has nothing to do with his career at Texas).

I seriously question McCoy's ability to make plays when his team isn't filled with players that are light years better than almost every opponent they are facing. It is a valid concern that bears out in every Texas QB drafted from Mack Brown's teams with the only possible exception being Young who still hasn't proved much.

You could say that about literally every college program but a couple.

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 11:33 AM

Oh...the kid that had 5 turnovers in 3 quarters?

Yeah...just what Denver needs.

strafen
03-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the compliments, Colt. Next!

misturanderson
03-07-2010, 11:39 AM
You could say that about literally every college program but a couple.

And that's why I wouldn't pick any of those players in the first 3 rounds of the draft unless he is a complete player with physical skills and college production that scream NFL QB.

The only exceptions would be when a player has slightly below average physical skills, but puts up elite numbers while he isn't surrounded by elite talent, or has elite physical skills while putting up decent numbers with below average surrounding talent (McCoy is neither of these). And I personally would avoid picking these types up until the 2nd at the earliest.

Colt McCoy to me is an equivalent, if not worse, NFL QB prospect to Graham Harrell, so I would not consider drafting him. That is what I am trying to say.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

UberBroncoMan
03-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Indeed. If he falls to us in the 2nd round... make it so!

(I doubt he lasts that far though)

Cool Breeze
03-07-2010, 11:51 AM
SI_RossTucker

Colt named the Broncos and Redskins as two teams he has had good conversations with and would love to play for.

Colt will like whoever gives him a shot

Man-Goblin
03-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I like McCoy. A lot. Glad I'm not alone.

Would be a good late first/early second round pick if we end up there.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Yup...the misconception about Smith is that he is a scrambler. His senior year be won the Heisman by throwing the ball and throwing it well.

You are right about Brees's mentallity. But that goes for any qb. Smith is a very good leader but still needs to learn.

I do think there is a difference between Brees's desire to throw the ball, and most others in the league (sans manning, and a few others).

As far as Smith, thats good to hear. To tell you the truth, I don't know much about Smith, so thanks for the info.

Kaylore
03-07-2010, 12:58 PM
LeFevour will not be a Bronco. He is a west coast offense QB.

hookemhess
03-07-2010, 01:00 PM

Garrett Gilbert is the truth. I'd like to go on record saying he will be a 1st round draft pick.

TexanBob
03-07-2010, 01:03 PM
That is flat out untrue. There have been plenty of Texas players drafted into the NFL since Colt has played for them. More than played with any other QB in the past decade for Texas. On top of that, a fair number of offensive players that he played with were either drafted (Sweed, Charles, Finley, Hills, Blalock, Studdard) or picked up as a UDFA (Young, Cosby), and that doesn't include those that will be picked up this year.

I'm not sure if there are any QBs in the past decade that have played on a team with more NFL talent than Colt McCoy, certainly none outside of the SEC or USC.

On offense, I think Texas attracts more top athletes to the skill positions due to the spread offense. They don't attract the top-flight RBs and TEs because of the spread offense and the pass-first mentality. That means more NFL-capable players but that doesn't mean they are great players - it just means they have the height/weight/40s that the NFL craves. Some kid at New Mexico St. may be a better football player but he may be a step slower or an inch shorter or 10 pounds off the ideal weight.

Notice how every year top players come from small schools and weak programs (like Nebraska, j/k) and people wonder why this guy wasn't recruited by the big boys. Often it all has to do with how much a player "looks the part" rather than "plays the part".

IOW, McCoy didn't have a huge advantage playing at Texas other than being in sync with Shipley ever since high school.

DBroncos4life
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
SI_RossTucker

Colt would like the devil if it would get him into the NFL. ;D

elsid13
03-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Garrett Gilbert is the truth. I'd like to go on record saying he will be a 1st round draft pick.

Brother is the Mizz QB right?

misturanderson
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
On offense, I think Texas attracts more top athletes to the skill positions due to the spread offense. They don't attract the top-flight RBs and TEs because of the spread offense and the pass-first mentality. That means more NFL-capable players but that doesn't mean they are great players - it just means they have the height/weight/40s that the NFL craves. Some kid at New Mexico St. may be a better football player but he may be a step slower or an inch shorter or 10 pounds off the ideal weight.

Notice how every year top players come from small schools and weak programs (like Nebraska, j/k) and people wonder why this guy wasn't recruited by the big boys. Often it all has to do with how much a player "looks the part" rather than "plays the part".

IOW, McCoy didn't have a huge advantage playing at Texas other than being in sync with Shipley ever since high school.

The reason they have so many great athletes that aren't great football players is because they don't develop them. They just throw them on the field in a system that only requires them to out-run or run over the other team. That can work for defensive positions that require more natural ability and instincts, but comes back to bite a lot of players when they are asked to do the same things in the NFL where everyone is big and strong and/or has elite technical skills.

The premise that Colt put up such great numbers despite not being surrounded by NFL talent is absolutely disproven by the fact that he has been completely surrounded all 4 years at Texas by talent that was good enough in college to get drafted into the NFL. Whether they are great "football players" wasn't relevant to my post.

Cito Pelon
03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
He seems to be a gamer. Interesting that the comparison I saw was to Jake Plummer, who was basically nothing but a gamer with potential coming into the draft.

broncosteven
03-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Man this place was like heaven for the last 3-4 weeks...

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Man this place was like heaven for the last 3-4 weeks...

just posting that a prospect had good talks with the broncos :strong:

Dedhed
03-07-2010, 02:58 PM

God I hope you're right. I have no idea why he's emerged as a crowd favorite around here. Unpolished from a spread offense, very average arm, no leadership skills, and shies away from competition. Yeah, sign him up!

And people talking about the 2nd round! Are you kidding me?

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 03:05 PM
God I hope you're right. I have no idea why he's emerged as a crowd favorite around here. Unpolished from a spread offense, very average arm, no leadership skills, and shies away from competition. Yeah, sign him up!

no leadership, shies away from competition? where did you get that from?

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
SI_RossTucker

players that aren't prima donnas like McDaniels. he is a hard ass and most NFL players have dealt with coaches like that and actually respond better to a hard nosed approach rather than a finesse approach from a HC.

Kaylore
03-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Yeah I'm with you. His balls sail on him, he throws high, and he's not the best physical specimen. Personally I don't get why people like him so much. And for this offense? Please.

Jesterhole
03-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I'd be happy to pick up McCoy. He is still growing and getting bigger, will be a stud with a few years of NFL training.

DenverBrit
03-07-2010, 06:08 PM
He's no Sam Bradford. ;D

Pony Boy
03-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh...the kid that had 5 turnovers in 3 quarters?

Yeah...just what Denver needs.

Did you watch the game? The kid had the freshman jitters but at the end of the game he looked like a stud..... ton's of potential.

Hamrob
03-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah I'm with you. His balls sail on him, he throws high, and he's not the best physical specimen. Personally I don't get why people like him so much. And for this offense? Please.Lefeavor? I think it's because he has a strong arm, is accurate and perhaps the best athelete at the postion coming out this year. He's also got a good head on his shoulders.

I'm with you though in terms of fit for our offense. You don't have to have a cannon or Steve Young ability to run the dink and dunk.

Dedhed
03-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Lefeavor? I think it's because he has a strong arm, is accurate and perhaps the best athelete at the postion coming out this year. He's also got a good head on his shoulders.

I'm with you though in terms of fit for our offense. You don't have to have a cannon or Steve Young ability to run the dink and dunk.
If the kid had any kind of head on his shoulders he would have thrown in every single drill at the combine.

He also showed a weaker than expected arm in the stationary target drill, so I'm not sure where you get the "strong arm" take from.

Unless he knows he's going to disappoint, there is no reason a kid from Central Michigan should be resting on his laurels at the combine.

The league is littered with "best athlete" QBs who were vibrant disappointments, btw.

SouthStndJunkie
03-07-2010, 11:30 PM
You can second guess Dan LeFevour's arm strength, but to question his leadership skills and to say he shies away from competition (lot's of QBs don't throw at the combine) tells me that you have not watched him play.

chaz
03-08-2010, 12:17 AM

an answered prayer.

chaz
03-08-2010, 12:19 AM
no leadership, shies away from competition? where did you get that from?

You can second guess Dan LeFevour's arm strength, but to question his leadership skills and to say he shies away from competition (lot's of QBs don't throw at the combine) tells me that you have not watched him play.

that opinion wasn't pulled out of thin air...

SouthStndJunkie
03-08-2010, 12:26 AM
The part about not being a fiery leader?

You can lead a team without being a rah rah Tim Tebow type.

elsid13
03-08-2010, 02:51 AM
If the kid had any kind of head on his shoulders he would have thrown in every single drill at the combine.

He also showed a weaker than expected arm in the stationary target drill, so I'm not sure where you get the "strong arm" take from.

Unless he knows he's going to disappoint, there is no reason a kid from Central Michigan should be resting on his laurels at the combine.

The league is littered with "best athlete" QBs who were vibrant disappointments, btw.

He didn't throw at the combine because he is retooling his throwing motion.

ZONA
03-08-2010, 02:53 AM
The only thing I will comment on his why would somebody call him a punk for not passing in the combine? Did any of the top QB's throw? Nope. So they all must be punks. Why single out Colt for that. Lame.

Honestly, I am really leaning towards liking the idea of not using a pick on any QB. I want to see how Brandstater is coming along. He has all the tools. I think it's really only a matter of getting him into some games and getting him experience. Use the picks to help build the lines and a few other positions like LB.

BroncoMan4ever
03-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Colt would like the devil if it would get him into the NFL. ;D

i agree. had Al Davis said he was very interested in signing him, McCoy would be calling Davis daddy and saying it has always been his dream to be a Raider.

rastaman
03-08-2010, 05:04 AM
SI_RossTucker

Holy Roller Colt "Two Guns" McCoy wants to play in Denver b/c that way he'd only be 50 miles from Colorado Springs and his religious Taliban Leader Dobson and Focus on the Family. :sunshine:

rastaman
03-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Fake.

He's a punk.

Colt McCoy = PUNK

God also told him not to play as well. He's deeply religious and would more than likely put his religion over the best interest of the team.;)

BroncoMan4ever
03-08-2010, 06:06 AM
The only thing I will comment on his why would somebody call him a punk for not passing in the combine? Did any of the top QB's throw? Nope. So they all must be punks. Why single out Colt for that. Lame.

Honestly, I am really leaning towards liking the idea of not using a pick on any QB. I want to see how Brandstater is coming along. He has all the tools. I think it's really only a matter of getting him into some games and getting him experience. Use the picks to help build the lines and a few other positions like LB.

there is a big difference with Bradford, Clausen, and Tebow not throwing and McCoy and Lefevour not throwing at the combine.

Bradford and Clausen regardless of any showings are already QB 1a and 1b, it doesn't matter in their cases, because they are both going top 10, top 15 at the latest.

Tebow as everyone knows is working on changing his throwing motion and working on mechanics to show what he is capable of at his pro day or at private workouts.

But in the cases of McCoy and Lefevour especially Lefevour, the fact that they didn't throw at the combine is very strange because they were face to face with a situation where potentially they could have elevated their draft stock to as high as late 1st round early 2nd rounders.

McCoy at least had the injury he could which he could use to justify not throwing, but Lefevour just **** the bed with stupidity.

Garcia Bronco
03-08-2010, 06:35 AM
I feel the exact same way.

Fake.

He's a punk.

Colt McCoy = PUNK

hookemhess
03-08-2010, 06:44 AM
God also told him not to play as well. He's deeply religious and would more than likely put his religion over the best interest of the team.;)

You're a bitch for the two religious comments. What does that have anything to do with anything at all? Take your bull**** politics to the WRP forum.

Beantown Bronco
03-08-2010, 07:42 AM

*cough* thread title *cough*

Garcia Bronco
03-08-2010, 07:44 AM

I don't give a **** about the combine, but....
He is a punk. He left his teammates out to dry inthe National Championship game. Pass

rastaman
03-08-2010, 05:03 PM
You're a b**** for the two religious comments. What does that have anything to do with anything at all? Take your bull**** politics to the WRP forum.

Dude I'm just saying Colt "Two Gun" McCoy wears his religion on his sleeves....are you denying that?:P

El Guapo
03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
screw tu and their players.

StugotsIII
03-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't give a **** about the combine, but....
He is a punk. He left his teammates out to dry inthe National Championship game. Pass

People say the darndest things.

illbroncsfn
03-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Colt is the quitessential "All-American" college boy- great collegian but I just can't wrap my head seeing him in orange and blue- skill set just doesn't seem to mesh well enough w/what the new regime at Dove Valley is after.