PDA

View Full Version : What do you take for Marshall..

chrisp
03-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Just curious to see what value people place on the guy - I've seen just about every possible opinion voiced about him, so I'm wondering if there's a majority view or if we're really divided on this.

Poll coming....

chrisp
03-07-2010, 01:17 AM
For the record, I'm genuinely unsure what i think about this. As of now, we have the right to insist on Seattle's #6 so we should theoretically get that or equal value in players or other picks.

No question I would rather have Marshall's talent on the field for us next season. However, if the guy reallywants to leave, given the amount of disruption he's caused over the years, do we really risk the distractions he may cause if we force him to stay. Its possible, that even if disgruntled he may be able to keep his mouth shut and stay out of trouble, on the other hand we could have an 8-game suspension on the cards...

*WARHORSE*
03-07-2010, 01:17 AM
6th pick

or the 14th and an extra

robbieopperude
03-07-2010, 01:27 AM
If the pick is outside the top 15 I think we need to get a player on the OL or DL with the pick. Someone who will be a rotational player at worst. Looking at our recent free agent moves and I think OG would be what we would be looking for.

SPORTSWRITER
03-07-2010, 01:36 AM
6th pick

or the 14th and an extra

Hmmm, the latter would be ok- maybe even better than the # 6 I voted for in this poll, depending of course on what that "extra" is!

BTW, is that post total of 197 a rollover from 100,000?? 8')

Drek
03-07-2010, 01:55 AM
For the record, I'm genuinely unsure what i think about this. As of now, we have the right to insist on Seattle's #6 so we should theoretically get that or equal value in players or other picks.

We aren't entitled to the #6 pick until the Seahawks sign him to an offer sheet.

extralife
03-07-2010, 02:30 AM
just because I'd rather not trade him for anything doesn't mean I think he's one of the best receivers ever. poll is terrible.

Lomax
03-07-2010, 03:12 AM
I think the 14th would be fine. In fact, the Broncos might prefer the 14th considering the state of the CBA. Signing an offer sheet could just be a slick way for Seattle to get out of the top 10 and nab a pretty good player in the process.

Marshall's a really good player, but I believe in the team concept and if you continue to replace the "me" guys with the "team" guys, eventually you end up with a pretty good team.

chrisp
03-07-2010, 03:20 AM
We aren't entitled to the #6 pick until the Seahawks sign him to an offer sheet.

Absolutley correct. However, if they want him, that is the starting point for negotiations as that is what, technically, we're entitled to should they sign him, so the question is, how far down do we negotiate from that (given that it seems unlikely they will be willing to give us that #6 for him).

Once they sign him to an offer sheet without a trade first there is no negotiation - we get the #6 (or match) and that's it - they can't then try to negotiate with us after that becuase that's when league rules take over. Now is the time to negotiate becuase with nothing having been signed no-one's entitled to anything just yet.

Of course, they also have to give Brandon a deal he'll appreciate, and that could be a sticking point also. Basically if they don't want to give brandon the money he wants OR we refuse to accept any less than the #6 we would technically be due then this deal could stall whatever Brandon thinks or wants.

The only leverage Seattle have, however, is that they can force a deal IF Brandon likes their offer AND they are prepared to give up #6. If they are not, then we are entirely at liberty to accept or reject any offer they make as we see fit and nothing needs to happen if we don't want it to.

Florida_Bronco
03-07-2010, 03:54 AM
At this point, you basically need to take any reasonable offer that gets Marshall out of town. There is simply a huge risk involved with giving the kind of contract he wants when he has substantial baggage, is one misstep away from missing a significant portion of the season and has openly expressed his disdain for Denver.

Personally, I quantify a "reasonable" offer as a early to mid 1st round pick or a comparable player. Anything later or less than thought would require additional compensation either in picks or players.

NYBronco
03-07-2010, 04:03 AM
I took the 2nd and a 3rd pick in the upcoming draft. The Anquan Boldin trade recently completed seriously watered down the value of BM. Of course I will be more than happy if the Broncos can get better compensation but BM's past isn't working out favorably for his cause or more importantly the Broncos. Good luck Brandon but I don't want to see you in a Bronco uniform again.

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2010, 04:06 AM
i say nothing lower than top half of the 1st round. or low 1st round paired with either player(s) and or additional pick(s)

DBroncos4life
03-07-2010, 04:13 AM
If we trade Marshall for Smith I'll be pissed. 6th or nothing.

peacepipe
03-07-2010, 04:22 AM
exactly,the 6th pick or nothing. no need for negotiating.

elsid13
03-07-2010, 04:41 AM
I stick with what I have been saying all along - 2nd, 4th/5th and young player.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-07-2010, 05:27 AM
At minimum, I think we should get two reasonably high (2nd/3rd) picks.

Ultimately, I'd prefer the #6.

I wish the poll was set up to select more than one choice.

Drek
03-07-2010, 05:41 AM
The only leverage Seattle have, however, is that they can force a deal IF Brandon likes their offer AND they are prepared to give up #6. If they are not, then we are entirely at liberty to accept or reject any offer they make as we see fit and nothing needs to happen if we don't want it to.

No, Seattle's real leverage is in the threat of Cincy, NYJ, or Baltimore signing him. They all have 1sts in the 20's. At that point #14 looks pretty good.

IF Seattle signs Marshall to an offer sheet then the #6 pick comes into play. Until then all we know is that unless we're getting something comparable to the last pick in the first round we're going to have Marshall back. That is the only real value attached to Marshall right now.

Steve Prefontaine
03-07-2010, 06:04 AM
It's funny, but even if we trade Marshall for the #6 pick, people need to understand we are trading one high risk for another. Denver would have to pay that #6 pick big money to an unproven player that could be easily bust in the NFL.

I wish Denver could trade Marshall for at least one other quality starter from another team. Trading him for draft pick(s) is just moving the risk around.

bloodsunday
03-07-2010, 06:20 AM
This is very tricky for Denver and B-Marsh for a few reasons:
1) They need another suitor to step and create at least a little bit of a market
2) Arizona only got 3 and 4th round picks and had to send back a 5th -- that trade set the market.
3) B-Marsh has to sell another organization that he's beyond his immature past
4) Denver HAS TO BE SURE that they get playmaker(s) in return. Getting 3rd and 4th round picks would be a bit of a buzz kill.

I think this deal could take more than a week to work itself out as we wait to see what kind of market (beyond Seattle) is out there. I don't see Seattle making a desperate play and just blindly signing an offer sheet unless another team emerges with serious interest to drive up the market.

bloodsunday
03-07-2010, 06:22 AM
No, Seattle's real leverage is in the threat of Cincy, NYJ, or Baltimore signing him. They all have 1sts in the 20's. At that point #14 looks pretty good.

Baltimore got their guy. With Braylon Edwards in play, I don't see the NYJ as real suitors. The Jets have already been very active the past 2 seasons.

Cincinnati makes some sense. Hopefully they step up and drive up the value.

WolfpackGuy
03-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Who else is Marshall due to visit?

Dedhed
03-07-2010, 07:09 AM
If we're only getting picks, there has to be a first rounder. I would have no issue with #14 and a fifth or 6th rounder.

I would also have no problem getting a couple of early picks and a proven player. The 2nd and 3rd round picks and Branch is intriguing to me. This is a great draft to have extra selections in that range, and Branch would be a solid addition. It's a less flashy move than getting #6, but it's also probably a safer bet.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Depends on who we are dealing with. If it is Seattle, I would be happy with a 2nd and 3rd. Those picks are both high in their respective rounds. Their value is the equivalent of the 23rd pick in the 1st round and they would give us a lot more leverage to move up or down than the #6 or #14 pick would, since those tend to be pretty tough to trade out of.

CEH
03-07-2010, 07:54 AM
I think BMarsh has turned the corner and will be a consistent 10/12 TDs a year WR. That's the production we need to replace not his 100 catches.

Guys like Royal and Gaffney and another WR from the draft can probably catch the balls needed as witnessed by the last KC game but did anyone think that Gaffney was a threat to score from anywhere on the field. He did put up some gaudy numbers in that game.

A number one WR is a guy who can beat one on one and score from anywhere on the field at any moment. BMarsh is that guy

That will be hard to replace unless the team takes a chance on Dez

At this point I think Denver is moving him soley to clean up the lockerroom but we need a 1st. 2nd and a 4th for a 25 year old Pro Bowl WR would make this FO look worst than the ZO trade.

NFLBRONCO
03-07-2010, 08:06 AM
I'd tell Seattle Marshall for 6th pick

or

Marshall and #11 for #6 #14

Drek
03-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Baltimore got their guy. With Braylon Edwards in play, I don't see the NYJ as real suitors. The Jets have already been very active the past 2 seasons.

Cincinnati makes some sense. Hopefully they step up and drive up the value.

The Ravens are also apparently letting Mason walk. They gave a 3rd and 4th for Boldin and a 5th, and he signed a three year extension for pretty reasonable money.

I see no reason why they wouldn't be willing to give up the 25th pick in the draft to secure a 25 year old play making WR to set up opposite Boldin and know that Flacco has elite WRs locked in for the prime years of his career. From a dollars and cents standpoint its only marginally more money than if they had kept Mason and acquired Boldin. In draft value its still quite cheap for them as well.

Not saying they will, but ruling them out if Marshall starts seriously looking to take a 4 year, $35M deal? Can't imagine them not kicking the tires on a team friendly deal like that.

HAT
03-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Equivalent value to #6 in the form of #14, 2010 4th, and 2011 mid rounder.

Do not want pick #6 at all as there is no guarantee that it can be parlayed into multiple later picks.

If BM is gone, Denver needs to find a way to get Dan Williams AND Iupati in the first.

I posted this in the draft thread but a draft like this would sure ease the blow of losing BM.

1a. D. Williams
1b. Iupati
2. Spikes
3. Alualu or Wotton
4a. Decker
4b. Skelton
6. OL/DL BPA
7. OL/DL BPA

Lolad
03-07-2010, 09:26 AM
If we trade Marshall for Smith I'll be pissed. 6th or nothing.

I don't think this has been discussed enough. If Seattle gives us the #14 pick. Essentially our pick that we gave up for A. Smith.

Now just think about it. We could have had 3 1st rd picks this year if we had not given it up for a backup midget CB. If they offer us #14 they need to throw in an additional pick 4th-5th rd.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Equivalent value to #6 in the form of #14, 2010 4th, and 2011 mid rounder.

Do not want pick #6 at all as there is no guarantee that it can be parlayed into multiple later picks.

If BM is gone, Denver needs to find a way to get Dan Williams AND Iupati in the first.

I posted this in the draft thread but a draft like this would sure ease the blow of losing BM.

1a. D. Williams
1b. Iupati
2. Spikes
3. Alualu or Wotton
4a. Decker
4b. Skelton
6. OL/DL BPA
7. OL/DL BPA

I would gladly take size and strength on the DL/OL (read: NFL aboveAverage-to-GREAT quality) in exchange for a playmaker probowl WR.

Its about priorities and value. In today's NFL, give me the Trenches!!

NFLBRONCO
03-07-2010, 09:41 AM
I agree about the trenches but, I think Williams at 11 is a REACH something Denver shouldn't do for major need or not.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 09:56 AM
I agree about the trenches but, I think Williams at 11 is a REACH something Denver shouldn't do for major need or not.

I used to think that, but anymore, I'm not really sure how much or a reach he really is (if he is one at all).

Lolad
03-07-2010, 10:04 AM

He is projected to be taken in the middle of the 1st round I doubt we'll be able to trade back. It just doesn't happen that often. Last year teams reached for need and got the players they felt could help them. If whoever the Broncos have rated high I would rather them get him or lose out

HAT
03-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Probably...In a ideal world, one of the QB's slides and someone comes calling for #11 because they are desperate for a Spiller/Dez/Claussen type.

I'd gladly drop back from 11 to the late teens/early 20's for an extra 2nd but it's not that easy.

Would be great if a WR starved team like Cincy got a hard on for Dez and offered Denver #21 & #54 for #11. :thumbs:

NFLBRONCO
03-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I used to think that, but anymore, I'm not really sure how much or a reach he really is (if he is one at all).

Yeah maybe we'll see in the next 6 weeks

SouthStndJunkie
03-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Nothing less than Seattle's #6 pick....but the #14 pick and some change is palatable.

Durango
03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I would've voted for keeping Marshall, but the question was worded in such a superfluous, almost dismissive manner as to make option silly. I think the #14 pick is more than fair compensation, although I'm apparently one of the few people here who still holds out hope the Broncos can re-sign him. He is a proven talent and would leave a gigantic hole in this offense no matter who Denver drafts to replace him.

strafen
03-07-2010, 10:32 AM
I hope he stays.
I hope MacDaniels meant it when he said he was looking forward to BMarsh this season. Oh, wait!

I rather have Bmarsh than get picks for him and squander them all away.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah maybe we'll see in the next 6 weeks

That part of the fun of the Draft-- seeing where all these players slide up and down by the time the draft roles around. :thumbsup:

azbroncfan
03-07-2010, 11:35 AM
6th pick

or the 14th and an extra

This. Whatever Moss got from Oakland Marshall is worth slightly less.

GoBroncos84
03-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Just pay the man, and move on. Focus on filling other holes instead of creating new ones. That's my stance

ScottXray
03-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Absolutley correct. However, if they want him, that is the starting point for negotiations as that is what, technically, we're entitled to should they sign him, so the question is, how far down do we negotiate from that (given that it seems unlikely they will be willing to give us that #6 for him).

Once they sign him to an offer sheet without a trade first there is no negotiation - we get the #6 (or match) and that's it - they can't then try to negotiate with us after that becuase that's when league rules take over. Now is the time to negotiate becuase with nothing having been signed no-one's entitled to anything just yet.

Of course, they also have to give Brandon a deal he'll appreciate, and that could be a sticking point also. Basically if they don't want to give brandon the money he wants OR we refuse to accept any less than the #6 we would technically be due then this deal could stall whatever Brandon thinks or wants.

Didn't like the poll choices. We definitely must get a 1st if he leaves.

I would not even talk to any team that is interested, if a high first is not part of the deal. Of course if he signs with a low round pick team we can choose to match or force the 1st as compensation. I would talk to Seattle if they call, but say it takes at least the 14 pick plus a second round pick, if they don't want to give up the #6. On field he IS a beast and they know it. Proven pro-bowl talent, and they take the risk that he messes up. If they don't want to give up the #6 then we are in the drivers seat. The wild card is BM and his agent....If they push for a monster contract it could kill any kind of deal.

colonelbeef
03-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Of course the poll is worded so that you either have to think Marshall is the best player ever or you are willing to trade him, which makes answering a bit tedious... I tend to think that trading your best offensive player (who happens to be horribly underpaid thanks to a genius draft pick by Shanahan) for a high draft pick is the height of stupidity.

If the trade has to be done, nothing less than a top 10 pick will suffice, and even then, considering the expenditure, it's still a bad move by McDaniels. Bowlen will be paying for this one with his wallet, no matter the quality of the player chosen.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Of course the poll is worded so that you either have to think Marshall is the best player ever or you are willing to trade him, which makes answering a bit tedious... I tend to think that trading your best offensive player (who happens to be horribly underpaid thanks to a genius draft pick by Shanahan) for a high draft pick is the height of stupidity.

If the trade has to be done, nothing less than a top 10 pick will suffice, and even then, considering the expenditure, it's still a bad move by McDaniels. Bowlen will be paying for this one with his wallet, no matter the quality of the player chosen.

Actually that has a lot more to do with Marshall being a huge **** up in college and then the NFL. He could have gone much higher in the draft and could have had 2 much larger contracts already at this point in his career had he not.

elsid13
03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Actually that has a lot more to do with Marshall being a huge **** up in college and then the NFL. He could have gone much higher in the draft and could have had 2 much larger contracts already at this point in his career had he not.

Marshall was drafted in 4th because teams were unsure if he had the speed to play WR (most consider him as H-Back)in the league and lack of experience there (his JR season he played safety). The fourth round is were you see guys that have potential but need refinement to their skills sets. And this would have been his big contract year no matter what.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Marshall was drafted in 4th because teams were unsure if he had the speed to play WR (most consider him as H-Back)in the league and lack of experience there (his JR season he played safety). The fourth round is were you see guys that have potential but need refinement to their skills sets. And this would have been his big contract year no matter what.

1. Marshall's speed was a question mark but other negatives on his scouting reports included major character concerns. That played a part in how far he dropped in the draft.

2. Maybe you missed this in all the other threads, but we offered Marshall a contract last offseason worith 9.5 mil a year. It didn't have as much guaranteed money as he wanted specifically because of his past behaviors and the possiblity of suspension, so his large pay day would not have happened this year anyway. It would have happened last year.

rastaman
03-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I hope he stays.
I hope MacDaniels meant it when he said he was looking forward to BMarsh this season. Oh, wait!

I rather have Bmarsh than get picks for him and squander them all away.

Here's another possibilty not discussed. Let's say Denver over reaches or gets alittle greedy. The results are Brandon is back in Denver angry and disgruntled. His stats and performances decline in 2010, does this greatly reduce Marshall's trade value? Can Denver realistically demand a first round pick for letting Marshall go? Point is in 2010, this might be the last chance Denver can demand a first round pick or even multiple picks for Marshall. Something to think about.

rastaman
03-07-2010, 04:00 PM
1. Marshall's speed was a question mark but other negatives on his scouting reports included major character concerns. That played a part in how far he dropped in the draft.

2. Maybe you missed this in all the other threads, but we offered Marshall a contract last offseason worith 9.5 mil a year. It didn't have as much guaranteed money as he wanted specifically because of his past behaviors and the possiblity of suspension, so his large pay day would not have happened this year anyway. It would have happened last year.

Did you stop to think that due to the high risk of career ending injuries smart players want as much guranteed money and large signing bonuses as possible. Bowlen already know's in order to own a franchise in the NFL the risk of signing players to lucurative contracts has it's risks.

Lilkewise Marshall knows that playing in the NFL is a violent endeavor and his career could end on a single. Thats the risk he's willing to take to sign a financially secured long term contract. Brandon took that risk for 4 long years and played well above his rookie contract....and now he's looking to get paid.

The NFL is all about Risk and the players know they have short window of opportunity to land their big pay day.

bowtown
03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Did you stop to think that due to the high risk of career ending injuries smart players want as much guranteed money and large signing bonuses as possible. Bowlen already know's in order to own a franchise in the NFL the risk of signing players to lucurative contracts has it's risks.

Lilkewise Marshall knows that playing in the NFL is a violent endeavor and his career could end on a single. Thats the risk he's willing to take to sign a financially secured long term contract. Brandon took that risk for 4 long years and played well above his rookie contract....and now he's looking to get paid.

The NFL is all about Risk and the players know they have short window of opportunity to land their big pay day.

I totally agree with you... and yet again this has absolutely nothing to do with my post.

ColoradoBuff
03-07-2010, 05:30 PM
It's the 6th pick or he remains with Denver. Nothing more....nothing less. As wrote in the Denver Post today:

To clarify, if the Seattle Seahawks submit an offer sheet to Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall _ and there’s still plenty of “if” about that _ they would do so knowing they would be forced to surrender their original first-round draft pick to the Broncos.
The Seahawks original pick is No. 6 overall in the upcoming draft. They also have the No. 14 overall pick, which they received in a trade from the Broncos last year that involved Alphonso Smith.
As the Seahawks meet with Marshall today the Broncos are to stay clear away from the matter. There is no compensation discussion in the offer-sheet process. Should the Seahawks submit an offer sheet for Marshall, the Broncos would have seven days to match _ or let him go for the No. 6 overall pick. Period.

so enough with all the talk of we will take 14 and their second round pick! that's not gonna happen! There is no compenstation discussion between Denver and Seattle. They either sign him to an offer sheet or they don't!

uplink
03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
he is a ticking time bomb but right now I think the broncos can get a 1st for him.

He should team up with big ben, bmarsh could beat a girl senseless and then big ben could bang her. Just kidding these guys aren't that bad probably, or i hope not.