PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent O-Line Ponderings...

illbroncsfn
03-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I know we have Rex Hadnot in on Friday 3/5 for a free agent visit- projection would be as a starting center.... Good size at 6'2" 320 lbs- however both the Dolphins and the Browns have been willing to let him walk.....

We also had Tony Pashos in on Friday 3/5 as well- projection to me would only be as a backup RT... I am a bit perplexed by having Tony Pashos in on day 1 of free agency. I'm very familiar w/Pashos from his college days at Univ of Illinois- strong, capable run blocker, limited athleticism. This visit has me concerned that Ryan Harris is not recovering as well as expected. I guess I just don't see Pashos as a guard as I never recall him playing there in the past....

I guess my hope is that we would be bringing in players who were a bit more elite at their positions than a Hadnot or a Pashos. I still think signing Mawae for 1 year and drafting your center of the future this year would be better than plugging in Hadnot.

TonyR
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I guess my hope is that we would be bringing in players who were a bit more elite at their positions than a Hadnot or a Pashos.

Teams don't let "elite" O-linemen go very often. We need bigger guys who fit the scheme better, and if these guys fit the bill I'm all for it. The fact that they're both receiving interest from other teams should also tell you something.

Killericon
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Assuming we extend Kuper, we just need to fill 2 holes. McDaniels appears to be filling one in free agency, making it seem that he's going to fill the other in the draft, which is just fine by me.

oubronco
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Fox31 Alert : Source: Free agent C Rex Hadnot has left Denver without signing a deal at this time.

s0phr0syne
03-06-2010, 02:26 PM
What about this guy (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=714), Bobbie Williams, from Cinci?

I personally haven't heard of him, but Rotoworld seems to think he did a fine job blocking last year. He's got size at 6'4'', 345, but is a little old at 33. Still, as a UFA, if he were good, I'd think the Broncos would be interested.

I guess that low buzz around him in general should indicate that he's not very well thought of.

chaz
03-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Assuming we extend Kuper, we just need to fill 2 holes. McDaniels appears to be filling one in free agency, making it seem that he's going to fill the other in the draft, which is just fine by me.

Seth Olson seems penciled in as guy to beat at the other G spot (although I hope we make it a stiff competition). And I like him a lot, C is our biggest concern and I'm not feeling Hadnot to be honest.

Cool Breeze
03-06-2010, 04:02 PM
There are haves and hadnots...

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 04:08 PM
There are haves and hadnots...

come on....

GoBroncos84
03-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I know we have Rex Hadnot in on Friday 3/5 for a free agent visit- projection would be as a starting center.... Good size at 6'2" 320 lbs- however both the Dolphins and the Browns have been willing to let him walk.....

We also had Tony Pashos in on Friday 3/5 as well- projection to me would only be as a backup RT... I am a bit perplexed by having Tony Pashos in on day 1 of free agency. I'm very familiar w/Pashos from his college days at Univ of Illinois- strong, capable run blocker, limited athleticism. This visit has me concerned that Ryan Harris is not recovering as well as expected. I guess I just don't see Pashos as a guard as I never recall him playing there in the past....

I guess my hope is that we would be bringing in players who were a bit more elite at their positions than a Hadnot or a Pashos. I still think signing Mawae for 1 year and drafting your center of the future this year would be better than plugging in Hadnot.

Pashos signs with Redskins

TheDave
03-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Pashos signs with Redskins

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/not-so-fast-pashos-leaves-dc-without-a-deal-visiting-cleveland/

Not so fast: Pashos leaves D.C. without a deal, visiting Cleveland

elsid13
03-06-2010, 05:00 PM
There aren't any worth FA in for starting offense line in this class. Lets look to the draft vs bring in crap.

Ray Finkle
03-06-2010, 05:03 PM
if you are going to have to draft a Center, why not sign Mawae for a season or two?

Traveler
03-06-2010, 05:04 PM
If Denver somehow lands Hadnot and possibly Bobbie Williams, they will have accomplished a significant portion of our OL retooling. Like what the've done thusfar.

Mogulseeker
03-06-2010, 06:42 PM

Can Pashos play LG?

cutthemdown
03-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Like we were willing to let price walk? Or Mia welker, Or oak moss, etc etc. Players not being brought back doesn't mean they can't play. He's big and better then what we have. You don't worry about what other teams have planned. They could have young olineman they want to get playing.

Oh you mean like we are willing to let Marshall walk, i get it.

illbroncsfn
03-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Can Pashos play LG?

To my knowledge he never has in the past- but as an organization we must be looking at him as a LG or RG possibly if we feel moving Kuper to LG would be beneficial for the team possibly creating a Walter Jones/Steve Hutchinson left side of the O-line for us w/CLady and Kuper.

misturanderson
03-07-2010, 10:32 AM
To my knowledge he never has in the past- but as an organization we must be looking at him as a LG or RG possibly if we feel moving Kuper to LG would be beneficial for the team possibly creating a Walter Jones/Steve Hutchinson left side of the O-line for us w/CLady and Kuper.

Comparing Kuper to Steve Hutchinson is a bit far fetched. He is nowhere near that type of elite company at the moment.

Cool Breeze
03-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Posted March 6, 2010 (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/06), 4:28 pm MT
Pashos visit on hold

By Mike Klis (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/author/mike-klis/) <!-- ADDTHIS BUTTON BEGIN --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var addthis_options = 'facebook, myspace, google, delicious, digg, favorites, live, buzz, twitter, fark, friendfeed'; addthis_pub = 'mngi'; var addthis_offset_top = 5; var addthis_offset_left = 0; var addthis_brand = "The Denver Post"; var addthis_header_color = "#FFFFFF"; var addthis_header_background = "#003459"; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js"></SCRIPT>

San Francisco right tackle Tony Pashos has yet to make it to Denver. A visit was agreed upon Thursday but apparently negotiations with the 6-6, 325-pound unrestricted free agent have bogged down. Pashos visited Friday with the Washington Redskins but left without a deal.
The Broncos are hosting Baltimore defensive end Dwan Edwards for a visit this weekend.
<IFRAME style="Z-INDEX: 100000; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; POSITION: absolute; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 1px; HEIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; LEFT: 0px" id=_atssh height=1 src="//s7.addthis.com/static/r07/sh11.html#swfp=1&du=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.orangemane.com%2FBB%2Fshowthre ad.php%3Ft%3D89811&vr=152&psp=10" width=1 name=_atssh frameborder="0"></IFRAME>

TonyR
03-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Pashos is getting a good bit of interest and probably wants more money than we are willing to pay.

SoDak Bronco
03-07-2010, 11:31 AM
if you are going to have to draft a Center, why not sign Mawae for a season or two?

to me he is Weigman 2.0, smaller sized technician, not really the size we are moving towards along the lines. I doubt he is going to be someone who we will be interested in. I would not be suprised if we use the 2nd rounder on the Center from Fla Pouncy. I believe he is a big bodied guy.

Ray Finkle
03-07-2010, 12:03 PM
to me he is Weigman 2.0, smaller sized technician, not really the size we are moving towards along the lines. I doubt he is going to be someone who we will be interested in. I would not be suprised if we use the 2nd rounder on the Center from Fla Pouncy. I believe he is a big bodied guy.

You need a veteran there if you draft a rookie. Pouncy will be gone in the 1st. Mawae is bigger than Casey.

Kaylore
03-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I would love it if we signed an "ok" tackle and moved him to guard where he would be dominant.

Play2win
03-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Also-- we need to have somebody somewhat capable in reserve, incase Ryan Harris has any issues next year. As far as wins and losses, he might have been one of our most important players for us last year.

Cool Breeze
03-07-2010, 12:33 PM
<TABLE class=s_playerNewsTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #ed7e11" class=s_playerNewsTitle><TABLE class=s_playerNewsTitle cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=33 align=left>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/teamlogos/NFL_sm/CLE.gif</TD><TD align=left> Tony Pashos (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2190)-T-Browns (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=CLE)</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 10px" align=right>Mar. 7 - 3:29 pm et</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TD style="BACKGROUND: #ed7e11" width=14>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif</TD><TD width=6>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsLeftBorder>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsText>Browns signed RT Tony Pashos to a three-year, $10.3 million contract.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10134603289)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SoDak Bronco
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
You need a veteran there if you draft a rookie. Pouncy will be gone in the 1st. Mawae is bigger than Casey.

He weighs 289 compared to 285,my bad he is WAY bigger.

chaz
03-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Also-- we need to have somebody somewhat capable in reserve, incase Ryan Harris has any issues next year. As far as wins and losses, he might have been one of our most important players for us last year.

no love for polombus? how did people feel about the way he filled in?

Play2win
03-07-2010, 10:07 PM

He made George Foster proud...

cmhargrove
03-08-2010, 06:06 AM

Polumbus had a great start, and seemed to do well at run blocking (initially). Then, all of the sudden - poof!

The thing that surprised me the most was his inability to handle the straight up bullrush. He has the size, and his problems can be fixed with proper footwork, but we really missed Harris during that stretch.

I like Polumbus. Remember that a new O-line coach and philosophy can really change things. Sometimes your great O-linemen don't look great anymore, and vice versa. It will probably take a while for the line to adjust...

barryr
03-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Typically if bringing in vets from free agency on the OL, they are either vets who got cut for cap reasons or young guys who haven't had played much. Unless you get lucky, you usually don't find a starting OL in free agency other than the big names in their primes of course which are few, if any. Typically need to use the draft for the OL.

Cool Breeze
03-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Isn't the elephant in the room Ryan Harris and his injury bug.
He goes down and the offense goes to ****.
He really has to stay healthy this year - and we really need to protect ourselves by drafting and developing good young talent.

s0phr0syne
03-08-2010, 06:35 AM
I like Ryan Harris a lot, but he was drafted to play LT for Denver. He played really well as RT in 2008, but in 2009 I found myself wishing that Denver had a mauler on the right side to pair with Kuper as the ground game continued to struggle.

Gaither is reportedly available for trade...I know he's an insane physical specimen but don't know how his game translates. Is he a mauling run blocker?

I'm not suggesting that Denver get rid of Harris, but to me it seems fairly obvious that he's a bit out of ideal position on the right side. If Denver acquires a pure RT, Harris would be amazing depth.

Trent Williams is definitely an upcoming option as a potential C, G, and RT. I wouldn't play him at LT after watching his play during the 2009 College season.

Clady probably had a worse 2009 campaign than Harris did, but people don't seem to mention that too much.

Cool Breeze
03-08-2010, 06:46 AM
I like Ryan Harris a lot, but he was drafted to play LT for Denver. He played really well as RT in 2008, but in 2009 I found myself wishing that Denver had a mauler on the right side to pair with Kuper as the ground game continued to struggle.

Gaither is reportedly available for trade...I know he's an insane physical specimen but don't know how his game translates. Is he a mauling run blocker?

I'm not suggesting that Denver get rid of Harris, but to me it seems fairly obvious that he's a bit out of ideal position on the right side. If Denver acquires a pure RT, Harris would be amazing depth.

Trent Williams is definitely an upcoming option as a potential C, G, and RT. I wouldn't play him at LT after watching his play during the 2009 College season.

Clady probably had a worse 2009 campaign than Harris did, but people don't seem to mention that too much.

WTF - Harris started 8 games due to injury in 2009. Clady would have to start less than that - come on...

I wonder if we will look at lefty QB's in this draft. That will completely change the dynamic.

Traveler
03-08-2010, 06:49 AM

From what I've read, Gaither has the same issue as Harris. He can't stay healthy enough to play. Trading one injury problem for another. Pass!