PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to meet with Dwan Edwards , DL of the Ravens.

cabronco
03-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Broncos | Scheduled to meet with D. Edwards
Comment (0)
Sat, 06 Mar 2010 08:40:26 -0800

Adam Schefter, of ESPN, reports via Twitter that the Denver Broncos are scheduled to meet with free-agent DL Dwan Edwards (Ravens).

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0hQojELdZ

long beach bronco
03-06-2010, 02:13 PM
How big is Edwards?

SoDak Bronco
03-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Don't let him leave without a contract!!! He would be an instant starter

SoDak Bronco
03-06-2010, 02:17 PM
He grew up in Montana, so I can see him wanting to settle down in Denver! Should be interesting.

saleen s28one
03-06-2010, 02:17 PM
How big is Edwards?

6'3" 315 pounds

SoDak Bronco
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
How big is Edwards?

6'3 290Lbs

Ambiguous
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
http://tinyurl.com/yckyfb7

Rohirrim
03-06-2010, 02:19 PM
MHR has a nice write up about him:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/3/5/1358268/free-agent-profile-defensive

illbroncsfn
03-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Would love to see Dwan Edwards in orange and blue!

Play2win
03-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Hilarious!

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 02:21 PM
If you can't beat 'em, sign their free agents!

Play2win
03-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Can we call this the Browncos Redux II, since the Ravens used to be the Browns?

illbroncsfn
03-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Can we call this the Browncos Redux II, since the Ravens used to be the Browns?

LOL Seems as if we have done this before w/Ravens lineman as well- who can forget the force that Lional "Jelly" Dalton... Or the DE- Washington

Slade
03-06-2010, 02:33 PM
He is currently 6'3" and 315 lbs.

Found this on Rotoworld:
Free agent DL Dwan Edwards is wrapping up his visit in Seattle on Saturday then will make a stop in Denver.

Edwards would play inside in Seattle, but would play the end position in Denver, just as he did for the Ravens. He started ahead of Trevor Pryce in 2009, but he isn't much of a pressure player.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

BlaK-Argentina
03-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I hope this isn't our definite solution for this year. DRAFT LINEMEN!

Mogulseeker
03-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Where are people getting 315 at?

oubronco
03-06-2010, 02:42 PM

thats classic :~ohyah!:

Los Broncos
03-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Sweet, any d-line help is good, what I like to see.

Bigdawg26
03-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I say sign him to we can finally get a solid 3-4 DE on our roster!

TonyR
03-06-2010, 02:48 PM

How many immediate upgrades do you think you can get in the draft? You should be celebrating every D-line player they bring in. I for one am tired of this team getting owned up front on D year after year. It was a Shanahan tradition and it's time for it to end.

The Joker
03-06-2010, 02:56 PM

We need to do both.

All of our DE's sucked last year, with the exception maybe of Holliday, who is now a free agent himself.

Drafting 3-4 DE's who are ready to start is almost impossible, we need solid starters (ala Dwan Edwards) who are capable of coming in and playing now.

Then we draft some guys and let them be backups for a year or two and hopefully blossom into quality players down the line.

Signing Dwan Edwards would be massive for this team, no two ways about it.

Paladin
03-06-2010, 03:13 PM
I have little doubt that Williams and/or McClain will be Broncos. I would hope that they would go for he best DE they can get oi the Second. If Hadnot signs, the Broncos will have picked up the C they need, and the LG is on board........

I am very supportive of the moves made thus far.......

oubronco
03-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I have little doubt that Williams and/or McClain will be Broncos. I would hope that they would go for he best DE they can get oi the Second. If Hadnot signs, the Broncos will have picked up the C they need, and the LG is on board........

Fox31 Alert : Source: Free agent C Rex Hadnot has left Denver without signing a deal at this time.

GoBroncos84
03-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Grade 75

Expert's Take

Edwards had his most productive season of his six-year career for the Ravens' defense. He is a high-effort player who can contribute to the Ravens' multiple fronts as an interior lineman as well as defensive end. While he isn't powerful enough at the point to handle the nose, he is very resilient and battles to the whistle. He is a good athlete who fits best as an end in Baltimore's 3-4 defensive schemes. Edwards has improved his hand usage at the point of attack shedding blockers better than in previous seasons. Edwards continues to struggle as a pass-rusher and needs to continue to develop more creative moves and counters to contribute in this area. Edwards has made marked improvements over the past two seasons and has been a consistent performer for the Ravens.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=5576

Rabb
03-06-2010, 04:51 PM

I agree 100% with this

If we manage to get Williams out of the draft, our line is VASTLY improved with Bannan and Edwards in the mix

loving the moves so far, well, except Arrington

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 05:00 PM
arrington may not be that bad, especially since we dont hvae a good KR/PR on the team, if he can go back to form there, could be worth it. would rather have holiday out of LSU though, hes a beast and a great KR is worth a 4th/5th/6th or wherever he is slated to go.

Rabb
03-06-2010, 05:03 PM
we don't have a good KR/PR?

seriously?

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Yeah, that was a back page addition.

Hopefully, his microfracture will have a better ending than most...

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 05:06 PM
we don't have a good KR/PR?

seriously?

very seriously. royal is below average, aside from the SD game. remember a lot of people complaining about his runbacks all last year. they replaced him with alphonso smith i think, yea? or was it other way around?

either way, we tried a lot of people back there, and royal was absolutely nothing special aside from winning the SD game for us.

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 05:13 PM
We need to do both.

All of our DE's sucked last year, with the exception maybe of Holliday, who is now a free agent himself.

Drafting 3-4 DE's who are ready to start is almost impossible, we need solid starters (ala Dwan Edwards) who are capable of coming in and playing now.

Then we draft some guys and let them be backups for a year or two and hopefully blossom into quality players down the line.

Signing Dwan Edwards would be massive for this team, no two ways about it.

Edwards would be a GIANT capture for this team. Bannen and Edwards would give immediate legitimacy to the Denver front for the first time in the 21st century.

Hopefully Dwan loved playing next to Bannen so that having already inked Bannen we'll have an inside track on Dwan.

SoCalBronco
03-06-2010, 05:15 PM
He would be a real nice upgrade at 3-4 DE.

gunns
03-06-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree 100% with this

If we manage to get Williams out of the draft, our line is VASTLY improved with Bannan and Edwards in the mix

I agree too, upgrades to the DL cannot be bad. As far as Arrington or any signing there are no guarantees they make the team and if they do, then they've proven they can do the job or at least provide depth.

maher_tyler
03-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Grade 75

Expert's Take

Edwards had his most productive season of his six-year career for the Ravens' defense. He is a high-effort player who can contribute to the Ravens' multiple fronts as an interior lineman as well as defensive end. While he isn't powerful enough at the point to handle the nose, he is very resilient and battles to the whistle. He is a good athlete who fits best as an end in Baltimore's 3-4 defensive schemes. Edwards has improved his hand usage at the point of attack shedding blockers better than in previous seasons. Edwards continues to struggle as a pass-rusher and needs to continue to develop more creative moves and counters to contribute in this area. Edwards has made marked improvements over the past two seasons and has been a consistent performer for the Ravens.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=5576

Sounds like an above average guy...we have Ayers and hopefully Doom for pass rushing!!

GoBroncos84
03-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Sounds like an above average guy...we have Ayers and hopefully Doom for pass rushing!!

I think that is the logic. Bannen has a similar scouting report. Both of these guys are hardnosed run stoppers. The pass rush will be from the linebackers or any blitz packages we use

DenverBrit
03-06-2010, 06:12 PM
From MileHigh Report is an excellent analysis of Edwards' and Bannan's play for the Ravens against the Broncos last year, together with video highlights from that game.

Bannan, Edwards; What Did McX See In Week 8?

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/3/6/1360096/bannan-edwards-what-did-mcx-see-in

BlaK-Argentina
03-06-2010, 09:12 PM
How many immediate upgrades do you think you can get in the draft? You should be celebrating every D-line player they bring in. I for one am tired of this team getting owned up front on D year after year. It was a Shanahan tradition and it's time for it to end.

I said in another thread I loved how much attention we were paying to our lines. I like the signings so far and would love this guy, but we need some youeng more talent and as far as I know there are a bunch of NTs in this draft we could use? I haven't followed this draft too much.

TonyR
03-06-2010, 09:20 PM
...we need some youeng more talent and as far as I know there are a bunch of NTs in this draft we could use?

I don't think these signings will preclude us from drafting DL but it will give us more flexibility.

BlaK-Argentina
03-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't think these signings will preclude us from drafting DL but it will give us more flexibility.

Definitely. I was just thinking outloud because ignoring the lines in the draft scares the hell out of me.

KipCorrington25
03-07-2010, 12:35 AM
6'13" 145lbs!!!

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2010, 02:32 AM

I agree. if he is an upgrade bring him in and solidify the line.

Drek
03-07-2010, 02:47 AM
I said in another thread I loved how much attention we were paying to our lines. I like the signings so far and would love this guy, but we need some youeng more talent and as far as I know there are a bunch of NTs in this draft we could use? I haven't followed this draft too much.

Lot of good NT prospects. I'm personally hoping for either Dan Williams in round 1 or Cam Thomas in round 2. Thomas would be more of a traditional nose type, but Dan Williams could be a Haloti Ngata type of player who an move inside or out depending on what we need from him.

sisterhellfyre
03-07-2010, 03:27 AM
I think that is the logic. Bannen has a similar scouting report. Both of these guys are hardnosed run stoppers. The pass rush will be from the linebackers or any blitz packages we use

Seems like if there's any team that recognizes defensive talent the last few years, it's been the Ravens. But wasn't there something in another thread about a player having had spinal fusion surgery? Was that one of these guys? I'd find it very hard to imagine that a defensive lineman could come back and play well after that.

Sort of like Chris Simms coming back from -- oh, wait.

Sort of like JJ Arrington coming back from microfracture... have to wait and see on that one, but I'm not holding my breath.

Drek
03-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Seems like if there's any team that recognizes defensive talent the last few years, it's been the Ravens. But wasn't there something in another thread about a player having had spinal fusion surgery? Was that one of these guys? I'd find it very hard to imagine that a defensive lineman could come back and play well after that.

Sort of like Chris Simms coming back from -- oh, wait.

Sort of like JJ Arrington coming back from microfracture... have to wait and see on that one, but I'm not holding my breath.

You'd have a point if Edwards hadn't played all 16 games last year, starting 9 of them from week 6 on.

But he did, at a high level. Back seems to be doing ok.

Elway 4 Life
03-07-2010, 07:02 AM
He is currently 6'3" and 315 lbs.

Found this on Rotoworld:
Free agent DL Dwan Edwards is wrapping up his visit in Seattle on Saturday then will make a stop in Denver.

Edwards would play inside in Seattle, but would play the end position in Denver, just as he did for the Ravens. He started ahead of Trevor Pryce in 2009, but he isn't much of a pressure player.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

He played at oregon state so i hope he makes it out of seattle. Sounds like an instant upgrade. :approve:

Ziggy
03-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Lot of good NT prospects. I'm personally hoping for either Dan Williams in round 1 or Cam Thomas in round 2. Thomas would be more of a traditional nose type, but Dan Williams could be a Haloti Ngata type of player who an move inside or out depending on what we need from him.

Williams only resembles Ngata in that he can play some DE also. He's not nearly as big, athletic, or explosive as Ngata. He can hold the line, but tends to wear down late in games. He's a reach at 11. If we take him there, it's simply a need pick. Cam Thomas in the 2nd, or Terrance Cody in the late 1st, 2nd would be better value. Also a guy like Joseph Linval in the 3rd-5th and Travis Ivey in the late rounds may be something to look at.

Dedhed
03-07-2010, 08:18 AM
The surgery was 2 years ago.

Paladin
03-07-2010, 08:22 AM
I am not giving up on Chris Baker at NT, yet. I realize we have not seen much of him, but I wonder if he has the skill set to be in the rotation. That would give the Broncos Fields/Baker/Bannan. So, I am not sure they would need to go another NT. Maybe someone such as Morgan at DE would be more helpful on the DL evolution we are seeing here, or just take McClain to solidify the middle LBs. IDK how the coaches would see the rotation at this point with Edwards in the mix.

If Hadnot and the Broncs reach a salary agreeable to all, that would, by itself, be a major upgrade on the Oline. Olsen could take up the LG, and they would need to get a Backup OT for Harris. So IF Marshall gets the sheet from Seattle, I could see a draft that included Bulaga and McCain in some combination. I would see the 6th being traded down to some sucker that wants Clausen or such.

If the picks work out, this could be a watershed year for the Broncos......

WolfpackGuy
03-07-2010, 08:22 AM
They're still going to need someone from somewhere to command a double team at the nose.

Dedhed
03-07-2010, 08:37 AM
I love the FA strategy. They're upgrading areas of need with solid guys which will give us flexibility in the draft.

Drek
03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Williams only resembles Ngata in that he can play some DE also. He's not nearly as big, athletic, or explosive as Ngata. He can hold the line, but tends to wear down late in games. He's a reach at 11. If we take him there, it's simply a need pick. Cam Thomas in the 2nd, or Terrance Cody in the late 1st, 2nd would be better value. Also a guy like Joseph Linval in the 3rd-5th and Travis Ivey in the late rounds may be something to look at.
He resembles Ngata in that he's got an all around game that lets him play DE or NT in a 3-4 and not only stop the run but generate pass rush from either spot.

Does he wear down some? Sure. But there was the same criticism of Ngata when he was coming out of college.

Terrance Cody in either the 1st or 2nd period is a bigger over pick than Williams at 11. Hell, its a bigger over pick than Williams at 6. He's a massive question mark in pretty much every single way.

TonyR
03-07-2010, 12:31 PM
...Terrance Cody in the late 1st, 2nd would be better value.

Dear god no.

DenverBrit
03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
He resembles Ngata in that he's got an all around game that lets him play DE or NT in a 3-4 and not only stop the run but generate pass rush from either spot.

Does he wear down some? Sure. But there was the same criticism of Ngata when he was coming out of college.

Terrance Cody in either the 1st or 2nd period is a bigger over pick than Williams at 11. Hell, its a bigger over pick than Williams at 6. He's a massive question mark in pretty much every single way.

No kidding, who's going to feed him??

SpringStein
03-07-2010, 12:53 PM

I've been surprised more people aren't aware of - or talking about Thomas. I think he is very vaible for us in round 2.

HAT
03-07-2010, 01:25 PM
I've been surprised more people aren't aware of - or talking about Thomas. I think he is very vaible for us in round 2.

I like Cam also but he will most likely be long gone by #45.

SpringStein
03-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I like Cam also but he will most likely be long gone by #45.

In this deep draft I think the odds are better than 50/50 that he'll still be there. But still a way to go before we have a better idea.

Cool Breeze
03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
<LI id=status_10131421777 class="hentry u-RavensInsider status" done24="19" done23="19" done22="19" done20="19" done18="19" done8="19" done5="19" done9="4">@Mattfender11 (http://twitter.com/Mattfender11) Depends on how Dwan Edwards' physical goes for if he'll get a Denver offer. Back is a tricky issue for teams to consider. about 2 hours ago (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/10131421777)via web http://twitter.com/Ravensinsider