PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post : Broncos WR Marshalll to talk contract with Seahawks today

Bronco Rob
03-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Broncos WR Marshalll to talk contract with Seahawks today

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Posted: 03/06/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

In Seattle, where Brandon Marshall may soon be playing, he would have old friends and no more enemies.

In Denver, Marshall could leave behind the bittersweet start to his NFL career. The star receiver can move beyond his run-ins with coaches and girlfriends and nightclub thugs. He can wipe away his two suspensions in two years and numerous courtroom appearances in three years, most recently as a star witness in the murder trial of former teammate Darrent Williams.

Marshall can hang on to those three consecutive 100-catch seasons and numerous awe-inspiring plays if he wishes. But if all goes well during his visit today as a restricted free agent in the faraway, oft-drizzly city of Seattle, the most talented, and troubled, receiver in Broncos history will become a handsomely paid Seahawk.

That groan you heard was electronically delivered from the checking account of Harvey Steinberg, Marshall's Denver-based attorney.

As Marshall leaves Denver today for an opportunity elsewhere, the Broncos made a series of practical moves to solidify the middle of their fronts Friday. The team agreed in principle on a five-year contract with former University of Colorado and Baltimore Ravens defensive lineman Justin Bannan, who becomes the Broncos' new starting nose tackle.

"He's excited about it," said Tom Mills, Bannan's Boulder-based agent. "He played college here and really enjoyed his visit with the team (Friday)."

"Justin will fit into our scheme very well," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said in a statement.

And the Broncos were also close to signing former Miami and Cleveland center Rex Hadnot.

That's 630 combined pounds at the middle positions of the line of scrimmage.

The Broncos also strengthened their lone weak spot in their secondary when they signed former Miami Dolphins nickel back Nathan Jones.

"He makes plays on defense and has been a core contributor on special teams," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said.

Yet, as often happened since the Broncos drafted Marshall four years ago, the team's positive developments were overshadowed by the somber circumstance surrounding the gifted playmaker.

For myriad reasons, Marshall would like to move on. His last three seasons have been both highly productive and disruptive. He held out from the team's offseason workouts last season and issued a trade request.

This time, the Broncos may be getting close to accommodating Marshall's desire to leave. First, the team slapped a fairly inviting, first-round tender on Marshall, who officially became a restricted free agent Thursday.

That means for a team to sign away Marshall, it would have to surrender a first-round draft pick to the Broncos unless the two sides agree on alternative compensation.

The Seahawks not only have the financial wherewithal to submit an attractive contract proposal to induce Marshall into signing an offer sheet, they have two first-round draft picks No. 6 and 14 overall.

Seattle's No. 14 pick was acquired from the Broncos during the 2009 draft in a deal that enabled Denver to move up and select defensive back Alphonso Smith early in the second round.

Although at least one other team has expressed serious interest in Marshall, Seattle would is a logical fit in part because former Broncos play-caller Jeremy Bates and former receivers coach Jedd Fisch are now with the Seahawks. Marshall was a big fan of both coaches in 2008 when he had 104 catches in 15 games.

The Broncos did offer Marshall a multiyear contract last summer worth approximately $9.5 million a season, according to two NFL sources.

Marshall rejected the proposal because the contract structure had relatively little money upfront, and also because the receiver preferred to play elsewhere.

Seattle may be where.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14523017

Drek
03-06-2010, 03:30 AM
The Broncos did offer Marshall a multiyear contract last summer worth approximately $9.5 million a season, according to two NFL sources.

Marshall rejected the proposal because the contract structure had relatively little money upfront, and also because the receiver preferred to play elsewhere.

This thread will be interesting.

long beach bronco
03-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Another year, another good player gone from Denver. I am so sick of this.

jayman_37
03-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Marshall just wants out, I really think he is afraid of those gang members coming after him, and honestly I can't blame him.

go_broncos
03-06-2010, 06:17 AM
I Hate Mcd.
It seems to me that he is fond of draft picks.
Unfortunately, he doesn't pick good player's in the draft.
I am waiting for the day when bowlen fires him.

The only good thing he did is to trade Cutler.

go_broncos
03-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Marshall just wants out, I really think he is afraid of those gang members coming after him, and honestly I can't blame him.

if they want to kill him, they will not hesitate to come to SEA..
SEA is not in a different country.

Kaylore
03-06-2010, 06:26 AM
I Hate Mcd.

I disagree with your stance, but its refreshing to see someone dislike McDaniels for his other moves and not for trading Cutler. 95% of the people hating on McD are still doing so because they are butt hurt over Cutler. Even after Cutler's atrocious season they are still in denial about it. I can respect an opinion where he is disliked strictly for his other moves.

The two things that piss me off most about McD haters are 1.) whining about the Cutler trade and 2.) whining about not playing Hillis.

bowtown
03-06-2010, 06:26 AM
http://www.afunnystuff.com/forumpics/gasthisplz.jpg

bowtown
03-06-2010, 06:27 AM
I disagree with your stance, but its refreshing to see someone dislike McDaniels for his other moves and not for trading Cutler. 95% of the people hating on McD are still doing so because they are butt hurt over Cutler. Even after Cutler's atrocious season they are still in denial about it. I can respect an opinion where he is disliked strictly for his other moves.

The two things that piss me off most about McD haters are 1.) whining about the Cutler trade and 2.) whining about not playing Hillis.

Don't forget the hoodie.

ayjackson
03-06-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm pretty high on Ayers on Moreno. I also liked what I saw in Bruton/McBath.

I don't expect draft picks to set the world on fire in their first year. For his part, Ayers is ahead of most rookie OLB's in a 3-4 system. He's miles ahead of Spencer, for example.

521 1N5
03-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Don't let the door hit ya on the way out woman beater.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-06-2010, 06:41 AM
I Hate Mcd.

Oh my god, you're a ****ing idiot.

Who isn't "fond of" draft picks? That's how you build your team, stupid.

You've seen him draft ONE year, and suddenly "he doesn't pick good player's in the draft." What an effing retard. ONE YEAR IS NOT A TREND. You cannot evaluate someone's talent based on one year.

How much do you know about football?

go_broncos
03-06-2010, 06:54 AM

I don't like Cutler.To me, he is the cancer and will ruin the team.
Glad that Mcd realized this and traded him.
QB is the position that needs leadership and cutler lacks that.

The problem i have with Mcd is that he expects all player's attitude to be like Royal, Bailey etc.
Very few have that in today's NFL.
If he keeps looking to trade player's like Marshall, we will not have good player's in the end.

Mcd is suited to coach College player's..Bowlen gave chance to him soon.

TonyR
03-06-2010, 06:58 AM

Marshall is a great player but he doesn't want to be in Denver and he's a constant distraction. People need to come to grips with the fact that the best move for both Marshall and the organization is that he moves on.

go_broncos
03-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Oh my god, you're a ****ing idiot.

Who isn't "fond of" draft picks? That's how you build your team, stupid.

You've seen him draft ONE year, and suddenly "he doesn't pick good player's in the draft." What an effing retard. ONE YEAR IS NOT A TREND. You cannot evaluate someone's talent based on one year.

How much do you know about football?

hmm..ok..let's trade Dumerville, Bailery and other good player's for draft picks
and get player's like Ayers, A.smith and Moreno.

ayjackson
03-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Marshall is a great player but he doesn't want to be in Denver and he's a constant distraction. People need to come to grips with the fact that the best move for both Marshall and the organization is that he moves on.

100% correct. I'll be cheering for Marshall to get his money and just play football. I think he will and I think he'll grow up. But it's not going to be in Denver, and it has nothing to do with McD. It's about Brandon and it always has been.

521 1N5
03-06-2010, 07:03 AM
tick tick tick tick tick.....

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/9441/20071022__brandonmarshallmug_p1_200_medium.jpg

Date: March 6, 2008
Arrested: Battery
Incident: Marshall's girlfriend claimed Marshall hit her in the mouth and eye on March 4, leaving her with "visible marks above the eye and a laceration on her top and bottom lip.
Result: The case is in the hands of Fulton County authorities and they have yet to decide on formal charges.

Date: October 22, 2007
Arrested: DUI
Incident: Marshall is arrested after reportedly driving the wrong way on a one-way street in Denver.
Result: Marshall pleaded not guilty and his trial is scheduled for September 16.

Date: March 26, 2007
Arrested: Domestic Violence and false imprisionment.
Incident: Marshall's girlfriend called police to Marshall's home after the couple got into a fight. Marshall was accused of blocking a taxi the girlfriend was in with another vehicle and pounding on the taxi's windows. This happened several times before the taxi driver was able to get away.
Result: Charges were dismissed in May 2007

Date: March 21, 2007
Incident: Police interview Marshall after they were called to the scene of an argument between Marshall and his girlfriend near Boca Raton. While both sides claimed the confrontation was not violent, Marshall admitted to slamming an iron pipe to the ground in frustration after his girlfriend left the area.

Date: January 24, 2007
Incident: Police interview Marshall and his father, Frederick, outside a bowling alley after the two got into an argument over money. According to the police report, Frederick Marshall said his son fired a gun, a claim that was not supported by witnesses. Brandon Marshall said his father tried to run him over with his car and repeatedly told his son that he would "ruin his football career". Both father and son refused to press charges and neither was arrested.

Date: June 17, 2006
Incident: Once again, Marshall's girlfriend is involved, this time telling police that Marshall slapped her, pushed her to the ground and grabbed her arms during an argument that spanned several hours in their apartment. She also claimed that Marshall through a phone or remote control at her, striking her in the forehead and cutting her above the eye. A formal statement was sent to police in October 2006, but charges were never filed.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-06-2010, 07:07 AM
hmm..ok..let's trade Dumerville, Bailery and other good player's for draft picks

As soon as we trade Dumervil or Bailey, you come back and let us know, K? Otherwise you're operating in fantasyland.

TonyR
03-06-2010, 07:15 AM

Yes because Doom and Champ have expressed an interest in getting out, have lots of off field baggage, and are constant distractions just like Marshall. Good comparisons.

oubronco
03-06-2010, 07:20 AM

I think this is PR bullshyt he has said all along he just wanted paid

GreatBronco16
03-06-2010, 07:21 AM

Uhh

Hercules Rockefeller
03-06-2010, 07:22 AM

Considering we all talked about it last summer, I'm gonna guess no that it's not some PR bull****. That's not a new revelation that Marshall was offered a contract last summer with little guaranteed money.

TonyR
03-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Wrong. It's all about the guaranteed money and the contract offer didn't include very much of it.

Crushisback
03-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Marshall is one of my favorite players but it is time for him to go. It would be dissapointing if it is for somthing less than the #14 pick though.

For those that are upset about McD dimantling this roster let's remember we wern't exctly a dynasty when he came in.

TD30
03-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Marshall is one of my favorite players but it is time for him to go. It would be dissapointing if it is for somthing less than the #14 pick though.

For those that are upset about McD dimantling this roster let's remember we wern't exctly a dynasty when he came in.

True atleast we won't have to worry about losing any star players after this year. They obviously are not willing to pay for star talent or can't. Dumerville will be gone next year and as soon as someone performs well enough to earn a high payout they will be gone to. It's fun being an NFL farm team.

ayjackson
03-06-2010, 08:50 AM
They obviously are not willing to pay for star talent or can't. Dumerville will be gone next year and as soon as someone performs well enough to earn a high payout they will be gone to.

McD follows the Patriots model. The Patriots just made Vince Wilfork the highest paid NT in league history. They'll soon make Brady the highest paid player in league history (which Polian will trump a week later). The point is, if the player's worth the money, he'll get it.

Do you really think it's a wise business decision to make Brandon Marshall one of the highest paid players in the league, INCLUDING all the guaranteed money that goes along with it?

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2010, 08:54 AM
A #6 for Marshall (or an equivolent value trade) is huge. Yah, Bmarsh is a talented WR but he wants out. At this point and time, the Broncos have the most control over the situation and can maximize a bad situation.

Who can the Broncos get to fill Bmarsh's shoes is the only real question.

go_broncos
03-06-2010, 08:58 AM
A #6 for Marshall (or an equivolent value trade) is huge. Yah, Bmarsh is a talented WR but he wants out. At this point and time, the Broncos have the most control over the situation and can maximize a bad situation.

The problem is most of the skilled wide receives these days has Marshall's type attitude.

It's hard to find a receiver with Marshall's skill & Royal's attitude.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-06-2010, 09:00 AM
If the Jets sign him to an offer sheet, then say they want to work out compensation other than the #6, can we tell them to **** off? That it's the #6 or nothing?

It's in the rule that they must send the #6 unless something else can be worked out right?

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2010, 09:10 AM
The problem is most of the skilled wide receives these days has Marshall's type attitude.

It's hard to find a receiver with Marshall's skill & Royal's attitude.

Perhaps, but you can find them or maybe develop them. Broncos can alleviate a lot of the offenses problems (and loss of Bmarsh) by getting the running game going.

ayjackson
03-06-2010, 09:10 AM
If the Jets sign him to an offer sheet, then say they want to work out compensation other than the #6, can we tell them to **** off? That it's the #6 or nothing?

It's in the rule that they must send the #6 unless something else can be worked out right?

Marshall may not want to deal with the Jets until the Seahawks situation plays out.

chaz
03-06-2010, 03:03 PM
McD follows the Patriots model. The Patriots just made Vince Wilfork the highest paid NT in league history. They'll soon make Brady the highest paid player in league history (which Polian will trump a week later). The point is, if the player's worth the money, he'll get it.

Do you really think it's a wise business decision to make Brandon Marshall one of the highest paid players in the league, INCLUDING all the guaranteed money that goes along with it?

I believe Brandon will be in the hall of fame some day (assuming he stays healthy).

How much worse could his contract be than the #6 pick? DHB got $23.5M guaranteed at the 7th spot last year. If we're going to invest huge money, I'd rather it be in a proven star. I don't buy that he'll be a distraction after he gets a contract. He loves football, he just wants to take care of business first.

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 03:07 PM
I believe Brandon will be in the hall of fame some day (assuming he stays healthy).

How much worse could his contract be than the #6 pick? DHB got $23.5M guaranteed at the 7th spot last year. If we're going to invest huge money, I'd rather it be in a proven star. I don't buy that he'll be a distraction after he gets a contract. He loves football, he just wants to take care of business first.

no one, not even mcdaniels, denies how good mmarshall is (in his last interview, he said the two dont just coexist, they thrive together). but its a lot of money for a guy who really doesnt want to be here, and who is to say he would ever sign a contract in denver at all? cant make him sign, and if we dont get rid of him this year we lose him for nothing except a compensatory pick.

UberBroncoMan
03-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Honestly if we were fully ready to let Marshall go we should have gotten Boldin.

An older, but still quality WR, but it would fill his void with a proven talent.

Broncojef
03-06-2010, 03:18 PM

If the Seahawks sign him to an offer sheet our compensation will be the #6 pick unless we match the deal on the offer sheet he signs. If they like Brandon they can call us and negotiate an outright trade for whatever we agree to. You sign the offer sheet and there is no negotiation. I'm glad Brandon likes the Seahawks best their first rounder is much higher than Baltimore or NewYorks. If Brandon signed an offer sheet with the Jets I think our compensation would be like what the 29th pick???

NFLBRONCO
03-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I think BM will be a Cowboy

chaz
03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
no one, not even mcdaniels, denies how good mmarshall is (in his last interview, he said the two dont just coexist, they thrive together). but its a lot of money for a guy who really doesnt want to be here, and who is to say he would ever sign a contract in denver at all? cant make him sign, and if we dont get rid of him this year we lose him for nothing except a compensatory pick.

No I'm saying we should match the contract potentially offered by Seattle. Then he's locked up long term. And I'd rather give him $25M guaranteed than any unproven rookie not named Bradford.

broncos-rock
03-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Burger bill now saying Dion branch will somehow be involved with a trade to Denver for bmarsh. I used to think it was the money part for bm now starting to think he is and never will be happy in Denver.

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Burger bill now saying Dion branch will somehow be involved with a trade to Denver for bmarsh. I used to think it was the money part for bm now starting to think he is and never will be happy in Denver.

#14 and Branch would be money. I think the value at #14 is far greater than #6.

Anyone interested in Berry at #11 and Iupati at #14?

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Has a team ever gotten a first round pick BACK in a trade after previously trading it away?

I'm sure it's happened in the NBA, but the NFL?

TheDave
03-06-2010, 03:52 PM
FWIW...Just read some rumors over at a couple of Seahawks boards. The one that seems to have the most steam is Brandon in a sign & trade for a 2nd & a 4th.

Rabb
03-06-2010, 03:58 PM
#14 and Branch would be money. I think the value at #14 is far greater than #6.

Anyone interested in Berry at #11 and Iupati at #14?

Berry won't last until 11 (if he does, we MUST take him) and 14 is too high for Iupati

don't get me wrong though, I would want both of them

Rabb
03-06-2010, 03:59 PM
FWIW...Just read some rumors over at a couple of Seahawks boards. The one that seems to have the most steam is Brandon in a sign & trade for a 2nd & a 4th.

even though we could do a lot with that, this place will implode and I will have to cancel my OM account if that happens

I just won't be able to stand it

Play2win
03-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Williams & 'Spoon would get my vote.

DBroncos4life
03-06-2010, 04:00 PM

I better work on my baby punching skills.

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 04:01 PM
2nd and 4th is ridiculous, i dont see any possible way josh accepts that deal. say what you want about his drafting ability, his FA period has been A+ since day one in denver.

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Berry won't last until 11 (if he does, we MUST take him) and 14 is too high for Iupati

don't get me wrong though, I would want both of them

I agree on Berry, but I would have no issue with Iupati at #14. Why would you not take him at #14 when OG is probably our #1 need?

TheDave
03-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I better work on my baby punching skills.

I doubt it would happen... BUT... if it did, God help this server.

DBroncos4life
03-06-2010, 04:10 PM

It would almost be worth watching the spin job by the super fans on how great of a deal it was.

maher_tyler
03-06-2010, 04:13 PM

He doesn't want to be here..no sense in trying to keep a guy around that can't stay out of trouble..get the best deal we can and move on!!

Atwater His Ass
03-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Don't let the door hit ya on the way out woman beater.

Glad to see you hate Rod Smith too.

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 04:16 PM
It would almost be worth watching the spin job by the super fans on how great of a deal it was.

Almost as good as the spin job from the haters on how bad a deal getting #6 would be.

strafen
03-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Oh, boy. God have mercy!

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 04:19 PM

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/85178808.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=F5B5107058D53DF5FED9C99FAF34C627006E399502B558B4 46BE13941D9FEEE8

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 04:20 PM

i dont think theres a single person alive (aside from seahawk and other AFCW fans) that would think this is a good deal.

maher_tyler
03-06-2010, 04:25 PM
i dont think theres a single person alive (aside from seahawk and other AFCW fans) that would think this is a good deal.

I'd be pissed if we didn't get at least a first. If we get Branch, a 2nd and a 4th i wouldn't be nearly as upset...did Branch play for NE while McD was there?? They might throw that in to sweeten the deal??

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 04:25 PM
We need Brandon to go for a couple more visits in the next few days to make the Hawks nervous.

DBroncos4life
03-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Almost as good as the spin job from the haters on how bad a deal getting #6 would be.

How so? I love Marshall but getting the 6th pick would be OK, but there are risks. The sixth overall pick is going to get 25 million dollars in guaranteed money. This is a fact. Last years sixth pick got raped by the Bengals and still got a 4 year deal for 21 million in guarantees with the a team option to add two more years to the contract and taking the 21 million dollar figure to 29. That is a lot of money. The way I see it if the person we pick at sixth sucks and turns out to be a bust then yeah it was a bad deal when you look at the guaranteed money he is going to get. Still the odds of getting someone of equal quality of Marshall is much higher with the sixth overall pick then 40th overall and whatever else they would throw in with it.

As is I think 85% of the board would be cool with the sixth overall pick for Marshall but on the flip side I bet 85% of the board would be pissed with a 2nd and a 4th round pick for him.

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd be pissed if we didn't get at least a first. If we get Branch, a 2nd and a 4th i wouldn't be nearly as upset...did Branch play for NE while McD was there?? They might throw that in to sweeten the deal??
I could stomach that deal. Yes, Branch did play for the Pats during McDs tenure.

maher_tyler
03-06-2010, 04:33 PM
How so? I love Marshall but getting the 6th pick would be OK, but there are risks. The sixth overall pick is going to get 25 million dollars in guaranteed money. This is a fact. Last years sixth pick got raped by the Bengals and still got a 4 year deal for 21 million in guarantees with the a team option to add two more years to the contract and taking the 21 million dollar figure to 29. That is a lot of money. The way I see it if the person we pick at sixth sucks and turns out to be a bust then yeah it was a bad deal when you look at the guaranteed money he is going to get. Still the odds of getting someone of equal quality of Marshall is much higher with the sixth overall pick then 40th overall and whatever else they would throw in with it.

As is I think 85% of the board would be cool with the sixth overall pick for Marshall but on the flip side I bet 85% of the board would be pissed with a 2nd and a 4th round pick for him.

I bet we get the 14th we traded them last year, Branch and a 4th..something like that!! Not sure how happy Branch would be being the 3rd WR.

Edit: I also think we take Bryant with one of our firsts if hes still available.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 04:34 PM

Throw in a player and that is a good deal. Unfortunately, the only player I want on the Seahawks is Unger and he ain't coming here.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Throw in a player and that is a good deal. Unfortunately, the only player I want on the Seahawks is Unger and he ain't coming here.

Rob Simms, Dion Branch, 2nd and a 4th... still not a great deal but at least it's palatable.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Rob Simms, Dion Branch, 2nd and a 4th... still not a great deal but at least it's palatable.

Simms isn't on the team according to the NFL site or ESPN.

People b****ed at me when I posted that Marshall was worth a 2nd, 4th and player, but it look like that the price. Which is good deal. I would rather trade with Cinncy for Pat Simms and picks.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2766995&postcount=70

HEAV
03-06-2010, 04:43 PM
ESPN's Bill Williamson speculates that Deion Branch could be involved in the deal if the Seahawks trade for Brandon Marshall.

Branch has a history with Josh McDaniels from their time in New England, so it makes sense on that level. It's hard to imagine the Broncos wanting him at $5.47 million, though, so Seattle would have to kick in some cash.
-----------------------

Does Branch have anything left? Any rules against getting our first rounder back from Seattle?

TheDave
03-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Simms isn't on the team according to the NFL site or ESPN.

People b****ed at me when I posted that Marshall was worth a 2nd, 4th and player, but it look like that the price. Which is good deal. I would rather trade with Cinncy for Pat Simms and picks.

Sims was just tendered a 4th round RFA by seattle... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/offer-sheet-could-come-quickly-for-rob-sims/

Regardless, I'm just hopping that McKidd shows some patience and lets this play out.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 04:45 PM
ESPN's Bill Williamson speculates that Deion Branch could be involved in the deal if the Seahawks trade for Brandon Marshall.

Branch has a history with Josh McDaniels from their time in New England, so it makes sense on that level. It's hard to imagine the Broncos wanting him at $5.47 million, though, so Seattle would have to kick in some cash.
-----------------------

Does Branch have anything left? Any rules against getting our first rounder back from Seattle?

God I hate the idea of Branch. He was a guy that looked good because Brady was throwing him the ball, once he was trade he looked like a marginal NFL starter.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-06-2010, 04:46 PM
A second and fourth would be a ****ing joke.

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree on Berry, but I would have no issue with Iupati at #14. Why would you not take him at #14 when OG is probably our #1 need?

I'd say that center is our #1 need at this time. Not that I would take a center at 14.

bronco militia
deon branch? good luck with that

DBroncos4life
I bet we get the 14th we traded them last year, Branch and a 4th..something like that!! Not sure how happy Branch would be being the 3rd WR.

Edit: I also think we take Bryant with one of our firsts if hes still available.

That deal isn't as bad, but I'm not that high on Branch. McD was the QB coach the last two years Branch was there and rest of the time he was coaching DBs. I don't know how much the system has changed since then.

elsid13
Sims was just tendered a 4th round RFA by seattle... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/offer-sheet-could-come-quickly-for-rob-sims/

Regardless, I'm just hopping that McKidd shows some patience and lets this play out.

Then he can not be traded unless he signs the tender.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 04:48 PM
A second and fourth would be a ****ing joke.

Why? add in the player that is good value for Marshall.

oubronco
03-06-2010, 04:50 PM

that would suck

TheDave
03-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Then he can not be traded unless he signs the tender.

well, there goes my idea... ;D

BroncosSR
03-06-2010, 04:52 PM

Sigh...

SonOfLe-loLang
03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Why? add in the player that is good value for Marshall.

Depends who that player is. But your pretty much saying, as of now, Brandon Marshall is worth Alphonso Smith and David Bruton. On what planet? Brandon technically hasn't even hit his prime yet. He's a young guy having, so far, an unprecedented career. You do not give him up for so little. Remember when Indy gave up Faulk for a 2 and a 5? I'm sure Indy loved watching him run his way to that super bowl in 99.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 04:54 PM
well, there goes my idea... ;D

I think we establish the order around here.

Elsid does the thinking
Spider - does the throat punching and dancing
Pez- drinks the wine coolers
Hotrod - sleeps with sheep
and theDave - is the #1 fanboy to McDick and the leads the Superfan hyena pack. Plus he wackes off to naked Bea Arthur pics

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 04:58 PM

As is I think 85% of the board would be cool with the sixth overall pick for Marshall but on the flip side I bet 85% of the board would be pissed with a 2nd and a 4th round pick for him.So, you're imagining there are no risks with Marshall in Denver?

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I also think that who the #6 pick turns out to be is irrelevant. No one can see into the future, so you can only measure the value of the trade by the value of the pick.

I laugh out loud at people who think the trade for Champ wasn't a total pounding of the Skins because the pick turned into TB.

You can always spin in hindsight. We pummeled the Skins in that trade, and a #6 would be a total win regardless of who we select there.

Caligula
03-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I also think that who the #6 pick turns out to be is irrelevant. No one can see into the future, so you can only measure the value of the trade by the value of the pick.

I laugh out loud at people who think the trade for Champ wasn't a total pounding of the Skins because the pick turned into TB.

You can always spin in hindsight. We pummeled the Skins in that trade, and a #6 would be a total win regardless of who we select there.

I can disagree with that logic.

its not a win... because a bird in the hand is worth much more than a 'potential' draft in the bush. I don't care what the pick is. If we were drafting KNOWING the Talent that Marshall is, do you think he would be worth the 6th pick in the draft? Absol-freakin-lutely he would!

So now you are saying that no matter who is taken, is a 'win' because its the 6th pick? An unknown pick that most likely will never be a top 5 at his position? How is that a win?

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I can disagree with that logic.

its not a win... because a bird in the hand is worth much more than a 'potential' draft in the bush. I don't care what the pick is. If we were drafting KNOWING the Talent that Marshall is, do you think he would be worth the 6th pick in the draft? Absol-freakin-lutely he would!

So now you are saying that no matter who is taken, is a 'win' because its the 6th pick? An unknown pick that most likely will never be a top 5 at his position? How is that a win?

What "bird" do we have in hand? Marshall can fly off the handle at any moment. He's proven he's no safe bet.

IMO, Marshall's antics are at least as risky as an unproven draft pick.

I would agree completely if Marshall conducted himself like Royal, or we were talking about Dumerville, but we're not.

We're talking about a guy who has proven issues, and proven he's a distraction to the team.

Caligula
03-06-2010, 05:35 PM
What "bird" do we have in hand? Marshall can fly off the handle at any moment. He's proven he's no safe bet.

IMO, Marshall's antics are at least as risky as an unproven draft pick.

I would agree completely if Marshall conducted himself like Royal, or we were talking about Dumerville, but we're not.

We're talking about a guy who has proven issues, and proven he's a distraction to the team.

Sorry. I'm just not buying into that. That seems to be the same 'blah blah blah' with everyone that tries to reason out how we are 'better' off without him on the team.

Seems that there are many that like to justify getting 'better' by losing talent. Hoping to find the 'good guys' that can perform on the field.

Rudy was a great guy. A swell guy. A good team player that everyone liked. Problem is, Rudy couldn't play football worth a crap.

Keep telling yourself that we are better off by getting rid of great talent and replacing them with guesses in the draft. If that makes you feel better at the end of the day, if that makes you look at our roster and say "yay" ... more power to you. In the meantime, the talent of this team is dripping away while some of you jump up and down and cheer for the "maybe's."

strafen
03-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Sorry. I'm just not buying into that. That seems to be the same 'blah blah blah' with everyone that tries to reason out how we are 'better' off without him on the team.

Seems that there are many that like to justify getting 'better' by losing talent. Hoping to find the 'good guys' that can perform on the field.

Rudy was a great guy. A swell guy. A good team player that everyone liked. Problem is, Rudy couldn't play football worth a crap.

Keep telling yourself that we are better off by getting rid of great talent and replacing them with guesses in the draft. If that makes you feel better at the end of the day, if that makes you look at our roster and say "yay" ... more power to you. In the meantime, the talent of this team is dripping away while some of you jump up and down and cheer for the "maybe's."I agree...
We've lost the "wow" factor. We could get rid of Dumervil, and Clady and people will find a way to justify it

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I agree...
We've lost the "wow" factor. We could get rid of Dumervil, and Clady and people will find a way to justify it

depends on what you get for them. 3 first round picks for either, i take it. 2 first round picks, you think about it, and then say no.

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Keep telling yourself that we are better off by getting rid of great talent and replacing them with guesses in the draft. If that makes you feel better at the end of the day, if that makes you look at our roster and say "yay" ... more power to you. In the meantime, the talent of this team is dripping away while some of you jump up and down and cheer for the "maybe's."
You're not buying into the fact that one act of indiscretion leaves us without Marshall for a good chunk of the season? Sorry, but that's just fact, brother.

Marshall has proven he's not willing to give it 100% in Denver. He's proven his discretions off the field carry onto the field.

He's got huge issues that, in his mind, are tied to Denver. Those issues make his value greater to the outside world than his value to the Broncos.

You scold rooting for maybes, but Marshall is as big a "Maybe" as any draft choice would be.

cutthemdown
03-06-2010, 06:08 PM

So you think 9.5 mil a yr wasnt a fair offer?

If he wants to leave, and the murder is a big reason, then it seems prudent for him to leave.

Just not healthy if it really bothers him like he says it does.

IMO if we get the higher first then we made out. If we get the lower first not so happy. Either way though I called him being done in Denver a long time ago.

Once WR go DIVA they rarely make it back to solid ground.

cutthemdown
03-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I agree...

It's not so much justify it trying to say the talent being lost doesn't hurt. It's more being analytical and looking at it objectively.

You offer go 9.5 million, hes a risk, so you don't offer more, he really wants to leave regardless, so you hang on long enough to get some value for the player.

Not that I would have written it this way but not bad.

Sure Marshall never acts the jerk, didn't get in trouble, gets new deal, goes on to be best WR Broncos ever had. That's how I would have written it as well. Its just not going to work out and nothing the coach or team can do can make it work out this way.

When Marshall pulls a hammy, misses some games, gets in trouble, gets suspended, we will see how you feel then. Will that happen? I don't know but it is possible.

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
i think one thing to keep in mind is that for as great as some people think marshall is, the lack of market for him shows what NFL execs think of him. not one reported team besides the hawks have shown a real interest in signing him off the tender. still hope we get atleast #14 minimum.

nickademus
03-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I am done giving marshall second chances in my opinion there isnt a wr in the draft that could replace him on the field but even if we sign him to an extention I am betting he is suspended before camp ever starts. dude is a parking ticket from a 8 gamer and with his m.o. it will be a much worse offence netting him a season on the couch. So to me its a bigger risk to re-sign marshall than it is to get the pick and take a shot at the #6 pick panning out. this sucks. I just wish he wasnt such a douche.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 06:22 PM
i think one thing to keep in mind is that for as great as some people think marshall is, the lack of market for him shows what NFL execs think of him. not one reported team besides the hawks have shown a real interest in signing him off the tender. still hope we get atleast #14 minimum.

It might be the market and it might just be teams knowing they can outlast us... When you bench your #1 offensive weapon with the playoffs on the line you are telling everyone that the relationship is as good as dead. Teams know the longer they wait the lower the price.

I said this 100X back when everyone was sure that we would get Roy williams compensation (notice how quickly that BS died)... teams will try and wait us out.

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 06:30 PM
It might be the market and it might just be teams knowing they can outlast us... When you bench your #1 offensive weapon with the playoffs on the line you are telling everyone that the relationship is as good as dead. Teams know the longer they wait the lower the price.

I said this 100X back when everyone was sure that we would get Roy williams compensation (notice how quickly that BS died)... teams will try and wait us out.

the same thing was said last offseason too, that marshall was as good as gone. we didnt get a good trade offer, and he was still here. same thing applies. mcdaniels isnt going to ship marshall out just to ship him out, he will ship him out to make this team better via the compensation we get. if we dont get enough, mcdaniels wont trade him.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 06:35 PM
the same thing was said last offseason too, that marshall was as good as gone. we didnt get a good trade offer, and he was still here. same thing applies. mcdaniels isnt going to ship marshall out just to ship him out, he will ship him out to make this team better via the compensation we get. if we dont get enough, mcdaniels wont trade him.

There was absolutely 0 chance of him trading both Cutler and Marshall last season.

As for this year, we will see... I think McKidd wants rid of Marshall BAD.

He hasn't shown much patience before, hopefully he has what it takes to wait this out.

DBroncos4life
03-06-2010, 06:36 PM
You're not buying into the fact that one act of indiscretion leaves us without Marshall for a good chunk of the season? Sorry, but that's just fact, brother.

Marshall has proven he's not willing to give it 100% in Denver. He's proven his discretions off the field carry onto the field.

He's got huge issues that, in his mind, are tied to Denver. Those issues make his value greater to the outside world than his value to the Broncos.

You scold rooting for maybes, but Marshall is as big a "Maybe" as any draft choice would be.

Say's the person saying "Maybe" Marshall gets in trouble again or "Maybe" he's not willing to give 100% in Denver. If we give him away for nothing and he continues to play at this level we got taken to the cleaners. I don't care about your dislike for him. You claim that getting the sixth pick overall in itself is just a win. That so far from the truth it's not even funny.

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 06:39 PM
There was absolutely 0 chance of him trading both Cutler and Marshall last season.

He hasn't shown much patience before, hopefully he has what it takes to wait this out.

theres not a lot of evidence that he wants marshall gone so badly that he will take anything in return for him. by most reports, they are capable of working together very well (patriots game?), and marshalls beef was never with mcdaniels personally, it was with his contract, and a bunch of other **** that we didnt hear about (ie wanting out of denver for whatever reason).

its not a huge crisis in dove valley me thinks. if he gets signed, he gets signed and we might match it but probably not. if not, i dont see them giving him away in a trade for nothing.

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Say's the person saying "Maybe" Marshall gets in trouble again or "Maybe" he's not willing to give 100% in Denver. If we give him away for nothing and he continues to play at this level we got taken to the cleaners. I don't care about your dislike for him. You claim that getting the sixth pick overall in itself is just a win. That so far from the truth it's not even funny.

getting the sixth overall IS a win. the trade of marshall for 6th pick is a great deal for us (and seattle to be honest). whether that 6th pick is used for something effective is different.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 06:46 PM
theres not a lot of evidence that he wants marshall gone so badly that he will take anything in return for him. by most reports, they are capable of working together very well (patriots game?), and marshalls beef was never with mcdaniels personally, it was with his contract, and a bunch of other **** that we didnt hear about (ie wanting out of denver for whatever reason).

its not a huge crisis in dove valley me thinks. if he gets signed, he gets signed and we might match it but probably not. if not, i dont see them giving him away in a trade for nothing.

They benched him the last game of the season... This relationship is as good as dead.

I promise you, if we try to keep Marshall here next year with a 2.5 mil tender were going to see major fireworks. McDaniels knows it too, he also knows he has to start winning NOW.

I'll bet the farm that this ship has sailed and Marshall is playing for someone else next year. I just hope McKidd stays patient enough to maximize our return.

DBroncos4life
03-06-2010, 06:50 PM
getting the sixth overall IS a win. the trade of marshall for 6th pick is a great deal for us (and seattle to be honest). whether that 6th pick is used for something effective is different.

No it in itself is not a win for us. I think it's a great start, but if we blow the pick we are out a pro bowl player.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 06:53 PM
No it in itself is not a win for us. I think it's a great start, but if we blow the pick we are out a pro bowl player.

I can not see anyway in hell Seattle does this for the 6th pick... Just don't see it happening.

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 06:54 PM

thats exactly what i said. separate teh FA move and the draft. marshall for the 6th is great. if we turn that 6 into a bust, thats horrible.

BroncoInferno
03-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Based on what? He wanted to wait Cutler out, it was Bowlen who demanded he be sent packing.

DBroncos4life
03-06-2010, 06:59 PM
thats exactly what i said. separate teh FA move and the draft. marshall for the 6th is great. if we turn that 6 into a bust, thats horrible.

Not exactly what you said but OK. I mean the 6th pick is nothing right now. It can't run, throw, tackle, block, or catch. Anyone that believes that is better then Marshall is mistaken. Even the chances of that player being better then Marshall is slim. The best we can hope for is equally as talented at whatever position we select and that player having none of the "issues" that trouble Brandon.

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Not exactly what you said but OK. I mean the 6th pick is nothing right now. It can't run, throw, tackle, block, or catch. Anyone that believes that is better then Marshall is mistaken. Even the chances of that player being better then Marshall is slim. The best we can hope for is equally as talented at whatever position we select and that player having none of the "issues" that trouble Brandon.

im hoping if we get hte 6th pick that it ends up being for a position thats more important for WR. and if we did get it, id bet anything we trade down with it. one or two elite guys will fall to 6, like eric berry, and the browns, with the 7th pick, need everything.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Based on what? He wanted to wait Cutler out, it was Bowlen who demanded he be sent packing.

Based on last years draft, FA, and the Cutler situation... IMO all of them showed patience typical of a 33 year old learning on the job.

BroncoInferno
03-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Based on last years draft, FA, and the Cutler situation... IMO all of them showed patience typical of a 33 year old learning on the job.

I can see the argument on sending a #1 for Smith, but how does FA bear that out? He did a great job on that front. A lot of value for the dollar. And, like I said, it was Bowlen, NOT McD who insisted Cutler be sent packing. McD wanted to wait him out.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 07:11 PM
I can see the argument on sending a #1 for Smith, but how does FA bear that out? He did a great job on that front. A lot of value for the dollar.

I thought he did a great job in FA... By rushing head first into it. In that case a lack of patience was the right thing.

That how this kid works, on some things it's great on other things, well, not so much.

I'm hoping he takes his time and doesn't rush into anything with the Marshall situation.

As for the Bowlen edit... Give me a break, Bowlen has never been Jerry Jones, I don't believe he suddenly became JJ last offseason. If McKidd really wanted Cutler or wanted to wait and see if there were better offers he could have done it.

BroncoInferno
03-06-2010, 07:16 PM
As for the Bowlen edit... Give me a break, Bowlen has never been Jerry Jones, I don't believe he suddenly became JJ last offseason. If McKidd really wanted Cutler or wanted to wait and see if there were better offers he could have done it.

It was reported from several sources that the last straw for Bowlen was Cutler refusing to return his calls. After that, he instructed the front office to send him packing though they wanted to give it more time. That is a well known fact.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 07:19 PM
It was reported from several sources that the last straw for Bowlen was Cutler refusing to return his calls. After that, he instructed the front office to send him packing though they wanted to give it more time. That is a well known fact.

Whatever... I don't buy that for one second, and if that is how the old man is running the show then we are screwed.

Regardless, I don't want to turn this into another Cutler holly war.

BroncoInferno
03-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Whatever... I don't buy that for one second, and if that is how the old man is running the show then we are screwed.

Well, that was widely reported whether you accept it or not. That wasn't Jerry Jones-esque meddling, either; you can't ignore the guy who signs your paychecks and expect to hang around.

HEAV
03-06-2010, 07:41 PM
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/03/06/hawks-fly-marshall-to-team-headquarters-by-seaplane/

Marshall has landed.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Back on topic... here is Marshall deplaning Seahawk 1

<object height="288" width="470"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.king5.com/v/?i=86731042" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.king5.com/v/?i=86731042" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="288" wmode="transparent" width="470"></embed></object>

tsiguy96
03-06-2010, 07:42 PM

peter king said bowlen has never been so offended from a player since he bought the team.

DenverBrit
03-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Just to take it one step further.

Having tried unsuccessfully to reach Cutler, Bowlen called Bus Cooke and was told that Cutler didn't want to play for Denver.

Which explains why Cutler didn't return Bowlen's calls.

DenverBrit
03-06-2010, 08:08 PM
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2010/03/06/hawks-fly-marshall-to-team-headquarters-by-seaplane/

Marshall has landed.

Somehow, I just don't see Seattle parting with their #6 pick.

As much as they may want Marshall, it looks likely that some other compensation is in the works.
And if the reports that Denver offered BM $9.5 million a year are true, then there's the starting point for Seattle......with the guarantees the Broncos apparently wouldn't offer.

#6 pick and around 10mil a year? That's a lot tied up in a receiver when they need a lot of help most everywhere.

gunns
03-06-2010, 08:23 PM
God I hate the idea of Branch. He was a guy that looked good because Brady was throwing him the ball, once he was trade he looked like a marginal NFL starter.

That's the word MARGINAL. Seattle is looking to get rid of him anyway, it'd be like throwing garbage on the heap to make it even less valuable. In that instance Seattle would be doing the laughing.

SoCalBronco
03-06-2010, 09:52 PM

I don't want to re-ignite this whole thing, but I've always felt that was kind of a hypocritical position for Pat to take. I have absolutely no sympathy for Bowlen's anger that phone calls are not being returned. You can't on the one hand get pissed that the kid won't talk to you when you've already demonstrated you won't give him the time of day when he comes into the facility to talk. When he came in to that one meeting with McD, that was when Bowlen should have been there and should have availed himself of the oppurtunity to talk to Jay one on one, without the coach or anything. How he apparently had no time to walk down the hallways and talk to someone they had been allegedly so eager to speak with is absolutely unforgiveable. It also makes it hard to conclude anything other than the fact that all these supposed olive branches they were sending out were nothing more than a pre-text and a sham, designed to do nothing more than win a PR war. I wouldn't have called Bowlen back either. Between failing to show up when he was there and gratuitiously leaking slanderous information to the media...Pat didn't deserve to be called back. I will never forgive him for how he handled this mess. He's done a ton of great things as an owner for us, but that will always be a serious blot on his record as far as I'm concerned.

Doggcow
03-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Next thing he'll be saying he doesn't believe we landed on the Moon.

Doggcow
03-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Somehow, I just don't see Seattle parting with their #6 pick.

As much as they may want Marshall, it looks likely that some other compensation is in the works.
And if the reports that Denver offered BM $9.5 million a year are true, then there's the starting point for Seattle......with the guarantees the Broncos apparently wouldn't offer.

#6 pick and around 10mil a year? That's a lot tied up in a receiver when they need a lot of help most everywhere.

If they offer him something around 20+ Mil guaranteed, peace marshall. I'm not putting that kind of money on a guy who could be suspended in the blink of an eye. THAT IS how you **** yourself for years.

Ratboy
03-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Anyone else think Marshall will be a Bronco next season? Seattle works out a contract and we end up matching it.

Doggcow
03-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Anyone else think Marshall will be a Bronco next season? Seattle works out a contract and we end up matching it.

I'll put money on it.

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Wow, that'd piss Bmarsh off...

Ratboy
03-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Wow, that'd piss Bmarsh off...

I doubt it.

Brandon wants to be paid, I don't think he cares where (Seattle? They blow). They are in bad shape and adding Brandon Marshall without a QB is pointless.

Caligula
03-06-2010, 10:44 PM
I doubt it.

Brandon wants to be paid, I don't think he cares where (Seattle? They blow). They are in bad shape and adding Brandon Marshall without a QB is pointless.

I th ink it very much matters where. He's said he doesn't want to be in Denver. He wrote in his web page, last offseason, his goodbye's to the fans.

Also.. adding Brandon with the chance of drafting a QB, very much makes sense.

Caligula
03-06-2010, 10:44 PM
I'll put money on it.

I'll take that bet

Caligula
03-06-2010, 10:48 PM
If they offer him something around 20+ Mil guaranteed, peace marshall. I'm not putting that kind of money on a guy who could be suspended in the blink of an eye. THAT IS how you **** yourself for years.

In 2008, Fitzgerald signed a new contract that gave him 15 million signing bonus, and 2 million in base. Marshall will absolutely get nearly the same deal.

Caligula
03-06-2010, 10:51 PM

it was also reported, that several sources pointed out that Bowlen did indeed talk with Cutler.. on three separate occasions.

DBroncos4life
03-06-2010, 10:54 PM

How is that any different then signing the 6th overall pick and having him be a bust? You're paying a rookie over 20 million in guaranteed money that has never taken a snap in the NFL.

Kaylore
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
I don't want to re-ignite this whole thing, but I've always felt that was kind of a hypocritical position for Pat to take. I have absolutely no sympathy for Bowlen's anger that phone calls are not being returned. You can't on the one hand get pissed that the kid won't talk to you when you've already demonstrated you won't give him the time of day when he comes into the facility to talk. When he came in to that one meeting with McD, that was when Bowlen should have been there and should have availed himself of the oppurtunity to talk to Jay one on one, without the coach or anything. How he apparently had no time to walk down the hallways and talk to someone they had been allegedly so eager to speak with is absolutely unforgiveable. It also makes it hard to conclude anything other than the fact that all these supposed olive branches they were sending out were nothing more than a pre-text and a sham, designed to do nothing more than win a PR war. I wouldn't have called Bowlen back either. Between failing to show up when he was there and gratuitiously leaking slanderous information to the media...Pat didn't deserve to be called back. I will never forgive him for how he handled this mess. He's done a ton of great things as an owner for us, but that will always be a serious blot on his record as far as I'm concerned.

Bowlen and ownership have the right to shop any player they wish. Cutler did nothing but act like a little ****. There are better, more talented players than him who have been shopped and those good players who are more adult used it to fuel their competitive spirit and remain professionals. Cutler took the shopping personally which proves he's mentally soft.

Anyone that wouldn't call their boss back after several attempts because of that, and the would lie about it like a little bitch deserves to be punched in the balls.

SoCalBronco
03-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Bowlen and ownership have the right to shop any player they wish. Cutler did nothing but act like a little ****. There are better, more talented players than him who have been shopped and those good players who are more adult used it to fuel their competitive spirit and remain professionals. Cutler took the shopping personally which proves he's mentally soft.

Anyone that wouldn't call their boss back after several attempts because of that, and the would lie about it like a little b**** deserves to be punched in the balls.

I didn't say he didn't have the right to shop any of his players. What I said was it is hypocritical to be upset about not being called back when the guy comes over, is in the other room and you won't talk to him. Don't tell me you want to talk to him when you won't walk down the hallway. Don't tell me you want to make up with him when you're leaking slanderous material to the press about him. It's never been about his right to make management decisions. He has every right as owner. That's not the issue.

Drek
03-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I didn't say he didn't have the right to shop any of his players. What I said was it is hypocritical to be upset about not being called back when the guy comes over, is in the other room and you won't talk to him. Don't tell me you want to talk to him when you won't walk down the hallway. Don't tell me you want to make up with him when you're leaking slanderous material to the press about him. It's never been about his right to make management decisions. He has every right as owner. That's not the issue.

Funny, word at the time was that Cutler wasn't leaving Bus Cook's side during that whole meeting, despite McDaniels specifically trying to have a one on one with him.

So why should Bowlen think it would be any different?

I'm seriously shocked that people still think this was Jay being mentally soft or had anything to do with his feelings being hurt. It had everything to do with a new coach coming in who wanted a team first, not stars first, mindset from everyone and who wasn't going to give Cutler a big extension for at least another year.

The teams supposedly calling for Cutler just so happened to be a lot of the same teams that Bus Cook had been shopping Brett Favre to just one off-season before, and Cook had Cutler on multiple radio shows within hours, not even days, of this story "breaking".

Then once Cutler is traded, after his agent requested a trade twice, we see Cutler sit at a press conference and talk about how he never wanted to be traded. A couple months later he's got a monster extension.

I mean that **** isn't too hard to put together. You see outright lies coming from one side of the argument. The same side that was turning this into a PR war before the other side was even willing to address it publicly. That side also just so happened to be the side that got paid stupid amounts of cash.

Its all good though, in the end the Broncos are the ones who really got paid. They got a QB of similar quality in return, two firsts, and a third in exchange for adding their 5th round pick.

SoCalBronco
03-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Funny, word at the time was that Cutler wasn't leaving Bus Cook's side during that whole meeting, despite McDaniels specifically trying to have a one on one with him.

So why should Bowlen think it would be any different?

I'm seriously shocked that people still think this was Jay being mentally soft or had anything to do with his feelings being hurt. It had everything to do with a new coach coming in who wanted a team first, not stars first, mindset from everyone and who wasn't going to give Cutler a big extension for at least another year.

The teams supposedly calling for Cutler just so happened to be a lot of the same teams that Bus Cook had been shopping Brett Favre to just one off-season before, and Cook had Cutler on multiple radio shows within hours, not even days, of this story "breaking".

Then once Cutler is traded, after his agent requested a trade twice, we see Cutler sit at a press conference and talk about how he never wanted to be traded. A couple months later he's got a monster extension.

I mean that **** isn't too hard to put together. You see outright lies coming from one side of the argument. The same side that was turning this into a PR war before the other side was even willing to address it publicly. That side also just so happened to be the side that got paid stupid amounts of cash.

Its all good though, in the end the Broncos are the ones who really got paid. They got a QB of similar quality in return, two firsts, and a third in exchange for adding their 5th round pick.

I'm not sure how the Bus Cook thing is relevant. He had lost respect/trust with Josh, why wouldn't he want his agent there? Most of us agree that as of that point, he still had a better relationship with Bowlen. What's so hard about walking down a hallway? Is that a hard thing to do? If Bus stayed in the room, so what? Let him stay...who cares. At least they could have a discussion......whereas things had gotten too sour with him and Josh that they probably couldn't have a real dialogue for too long without it degenerating. I'm still waiting for an explanation of why Bowlen's claim that he was sincerely interested in talking to Jay and resolving this should be believed if he was unwilling to walk down a hall? I'm waiting. I'd also like to hear why a player should operate in good faith (i.e. call back etc.) when rumors/slander about you are being leaked to the press from the organization? Would you operate in good faith in this kind of dynamic? I wouldn't.

Atwater His Ass
03-07-2010, 01:13 AM
I've agreed with SoCal's take on this since day 1.

Cutler is/was a young kid and acting that way. The people in charge, Bowlen and McD, should have been able to take the high road and fix the situation. That will always be where the failure lies.

*WARHORSE*
03-07-2010, 01:16 AM
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

:D

Drek
03-07-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm not sure how the Bus Cook thing is relevant. He had lost respect/trust with Josh, why wouldn't he want his agent there? Most of us agree that as of that point, he still had a better relationship with Bowlen. What's so hard about walking down a hallway? Is that a hard thing to do? If Bus stayed in the room, so what? Let him stay...who cares. At least they could have a discussion......whereas things had gotten too sour with him and Josh that they probably couldn't have a real dialogue for too long without it degenerating. I'm still waiting for an explanation of why Bowlen's claim that he was sincerely interested in talking to Jay and resolving this should be believed if he was unwilling to walk down a hall? I'm waiting. I'd also like to hear why a player should operate in good faith (i.e. call back etc.) when rumors/slander about you are being leaked to the press from the organization? Would you operate in good faith in this kind of dynamic? I wouldn't.

Because McDaniels was the head coach, Xanders was the GM, and not giving them first crack at resolving Cutler's issues basically means we're going to be the Oakland Raiders and let the inmates run the asylum?

The only rumors/slander being leaked where about the Broncos fielding calls on him. To this day Cutler and Cook are the only people who have claimed the Broncos actively shopped him.

And how would Cutler and Cook know if McDaniels had been insincere with them since they hadn't even spoken with him once since the whole story broke?

Instead we heard Cutler on radio interviews less than 48 hours after the news broke talking about how "they have their version of what happened and I have mine" and that "I don't see Eli or Peyton [Manning] being discussed in trades". Well no **** Jay, they both have rings.

I honestly just don't get how someone can have so much fan worship of any player, especially one who's never won a damn thing, that they take everything he and his proven crook of an agent say at face value and discount every last word that comes from the organization.

Cutler wasn't a young kid. Jay Cutler is all of one year younger than me. This all happened when he was 25. If you aren't a ****ing man by 25 you never will be. I'm sorry but unless he's flat out ****ing retarded or the most spoiled, coddled shell of a man this world has ever seen his feelings didn't get hurt by supposedly being shopped. The only time his feelings got hurt is when Shanahan got fired because he was no longer guaranteed of getting his money and the prestige of being an unmovable albatross contract around the organization's neck.

Think what you want SoCal but you're playing revisionist history here from what actually happened. Rumors broke and Cutler's camp cut all lines of communication with the Broncos almost instantly. Cutler then parades around multiple interviews talking about how his feelings are hurt, and Cook starts putting on the pressure for a trade. Cook knows he's just got to keep the Broncos in the lurch until the draft gets near and that is exactly what he does.

While we're playing fantasy land why not go get Mock in here to tell us its not about the money and Cutler won't be signing any contract extensions too?

Whole lot of Broncos fans still keeping their heads stuck in the sand rather than see Mike Shanahan's golden boy as the conniving, self serving SOB he really is.

Maybe if Mike wasn't such a ****ing asshat himself who thought he could draft top 15 picks without ever meeting them because he got good word of mouth reports we'd have done a bit better over the last decade of his tenure here. Just maybe we'd have taken Haloti Ngata and fixed the real problem with the '05 Denver Broncos, the lack of capable line play. Same problem the '06 Broncos had, and the '07 Broncos, and the '08 Broncos. The '09 Broncos did too, but at least when McDaniels says the lines are ****ed up and need an overhaul he puts some heads to the chopping block and starts pursing some legitimate replacements.

SoCalBronco
03-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Because McDaniels was the head coach, Xanders was the GM, and not giving them first crack at resolving Cutler's issues basically means we're going to be the Oakland Raiders and let the inmates run the asylum?

Bowlen should have been there. The fact that things went badly with McD and Xanders should surprise no one. Ok...they get the first crack...guess what it failed, miserably. Bowlen should be there to smooth things out when its getting too hot in the kitchen. At that point, he's still got a decent relationship with Jay. This is the most important meeting in the last 10 years...I'd like to think he'd have a passing interest in being there...especially since he's insisting that he's making numerous efforts to call the kid and solve this problem.

The only rumors/slander being leaked where about the Broncos fielding calls on him. To this day Cutler and Cook are the only people who have claimed the Broncos actively shopped him.

No...the slander I'm talking about is the character things that were leaked shortly after the **** hit the storm and the Broncos were getting their ass kicked in the PR game. That was disgusting. The Broncos lost all credibility at that point. I would never, ever deal with people who are so plainly two faced. Oh..we want to be your friend....all the while dumping all this personal stuff out there for the media to feed on.

And how would Cutler and Cook know if McDaniels had been insincere with them since they hadn't even spoken with him once since the whole story broke?

I'm not talking about McDaniels being insincere. I'm talking about Bowlen's claims of trying to work these things out and making repeated personal efforts in that vein. It's not about Josh...its about Pat. If he can't get off his ass and walk across a hall....I don't want to hear a damn thing about him making an "effort" to resolve the issue.

Instead we heard Cutler on radio interviews less than 48 hours after the news broke talking about how "they have their version of what happened and I have mine" and that "I don't see Eli or Peyton [Manning] being discussed in trades". Well no **** Jay, they both have rings.

Once again.....I am not contesting their right to discuss trades with their players. Personally if I were in charge I never would have entertained anything of the sort, but they can make whatever choices they want. I do understand why he would be upset....given that he had put in a ton of non mandatory offseason work by that point in good faith. But again...this is not the key issue, here.

I honestly just don't get how someone can have so much fan worship of any player, especially one who's never won a damn thing, that they take everything he and his proven crook of an agent say at face value and discount every last word that comes from the organization.

I'm not taking it at face value. I know he wanted to get paid. Everyone does. That tells me he's a rational person. I don't have a problem with him or his agent getting down in the mud...especially when the other side is willing to leak personally inflammatory material to turn the PR tide around. When you're going to open the door by engaging in these types of things, you've waived the right to complain about anything Jay or Bus says or does.

Cutler wasn't a young kid. Jay Cutler is all of one year younger than me. This all happened when he was 25. If you aren't a ****ing man by 25 you never will be. I'm sorry but unless he's flat out ****ing retarded or the most spoiled, coddled shell of a man this world has ever seen his feelings didn't get hurt by supposedly being shopped. The only time his feelings got hurt is when Shanahan got fired because he was no longer guaranteed of getting his money and the prestige of being an unmovable albatross contract around the organization's neck.

Think what you want SoCal but you're playing revisionist history here from what actually happened. Rumors broke and Cutler's camp cut all lines of communication with the Broncos almost instantly. Cutler then parades around multiple interviews talking about how his feelings are hurt, and Cook starts putting on the pressure for a trade. Cook knows he's just got to keep the Broncos in the lurch until the draft gets near and that is exactly what he does.

While we're playing fantasy land why not go get Mock in here to tell us its not about the money and Cutler won't be signing any contract extensions too?

Whole lot of Broncos fans still keeping their heads stuck in the sand rather than see Mike Shanahan's golden boy as the conniving, self serving SOB he really is.

Maybe if Mike wasn't such a ****ing asshat himself who thought he could draft top 15 picks without ever meeting them because he got good word of mouth reports we'd have done a bit better over the last decade of his tenure here. Just maybe we'd have taken Haloti Ngata and fixed the real problem with the '05 Denver Broncos, the lack of capable line play. Same problem the '06 Broncos had, and the '07 Broncos, and the '08 Broncos. The '09 Broncos did too, but at least when McDaniels says the lines are ****ed up and need an overhaul he puts some heads to the chopping block and starts pursing some legitimate replacements.

My responses above.

Florida_Bronco
03-07-2010, 02:28 AM
No...the slander I'm talking about is the character things that were leaked shortly after the **** hit the storm and the Broncos were getting their ass kicked in the PR game. That was disgusting. The Broncos lost all credibility at that point. I would never, ever deal with people who are so plainly two faced. Oh..we want to be your friend....all the while dumping all this personal stuff out there for the media to feed on.

See, that's the thing SoCal. Jay and Bus had started the PR war before the Broncos probably even knew what had happened. It's like the Japs attacking Pearl Harbor. They did some initial damage but ultimately just ended up getting themselves nuked. Funny that Jay/Bus basically did it to themselves.

Ratboy
03-07-2010, 02:34 AM
See, that's the thing SoCal. Jay and Bus had started the PR war before the Broncos probably even knew what had happened. It's like the Japs attacking Pearl Harbor. They did some initial damage but ultimately just ended up getting themselves nuked. Funny that Jay/Bus basically did it to themselves.

Japs eh? Racist.

DBroncos4life
03-07-2010, 04:21 AM

Bus and Jay started the PR war? I got to see this spin.

elsid13
03-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Bus and Jay started the PR war? I got to see this spin.

Be careful or the superfan hyena pack will jump on claiming you are dumb as bag of rocks for not believing everything McDaniels says.

Punisher
03-07-2010, 04:46 AM

LMAO that elsewhere is Seattle! :spit:

Drek
03-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Bowlen should have been there. The fact that things went badly with McD and Xanders should surprise no one. Ok...they get the first crack...guess what it failed, miserably. Bowlen should be there to smooth things out when its getting too hot in the kitchen. At that point, he's still got a decent relationship with Jay. This is the most important meeting in the last 10 years...I'd like to think he'd have a passing interest in being there...especially since he's insisting that he's making numerous efforts to call the kid and solve this problem.
**** man, does the owner of your company need to sit in with you on everything you do? When a lower level employee is having issues and is coming in to talk with management about it you really think the owner should be sitting there undermining the authority of the guy he just hired to run the show?

And there wasn't anything to smooth out. The Broncos tried to smooth it out with Cutler and all he did was make unreasonable demands, like wanting an iron clad guarantee he wouldn't get traded (likely in the form of a massive albatross contract).

So how in the world could Bowlen have smoothed this out without acquiescing to a player's demands over his new head coach? And if he was to do that why even keep the new head coach around?

Like what? Show me this slander and how it came leaking out of the Broncos FO and maybe it'll carry some weight. You say they're two faced and defend Cutler, yet he demanded a trade, his agent submitted a formal request for a trade in writing TWICE, and then he stands in front of a podium in Chicago and says he never wanted to be traded.

So who's the two faced person in this equation? The one you want to believe was making all these moves behind the scenes or the one who outright publicly lied to make himself look good?

I'm not talking about McDaniels being insincere. I'm talking about Bowlen's claims of trying to work these things out and making repeated personal efforts in that vein. It's not about Josh...its about Pat. If he can't get off his ass and walk across a hall....I don't want to hear a damn thing about him making an "effort" to resolve the issue.
No, you said Bowlen needed to intervene because Cutler had lost trust in McDaniels. Why would he have lost trust in a guy he only just met? He never even gave McDaniels a chance to tell his side of the story. Cutler's own words where "they have their side and I have mine". Outright unwillingness from day one to even listen.

He hadn't lost respect/trust in McDaniels, he never had it in the first place because he flat out didn't want to be in Denver anymore if they weren't going to pay him.

Once again.....I am not contesting their right to discuss trades with their players. Personally if I were in charge I never would have entertained anything of the sort, but they can make whatever choices they want. I do understand why he would be upset....given that he had put in a ton of non mandatory offseason work by that point in good faith. But again...this is not the key issue, here.

Multiple stories after the fact question just how much off-season work he'd put in. I definitely wouldn't call it a "ton" since he was only around Dove Valley for a week after McDaniels was hired.

More to the point though, it isn't a player's right to get upset over potentially being traded. Its part of the deal you sign on with when you get paid seven figures to play a game. Shannon Sharpe dedicated nearly every moment of every day to being the best football player he could be. When he found out that Shanahan shopped him he just worked harder to prove it would have been a mistake. That is handling your business like an adult.

I'm not taking it at face value. I know he wanted to get paid. Everyone does. That tells me he's a rational person. I don't have a problem with him or his agent getting down in the mud...especially when the other side is willing to leak personally inflammatory material to turn the PR tide around. When you're going to open the door by engaging in these types of things, you've waived the right to complain about anything Jay or Bus says or does.
1. If you are actually willing to conceed that what Cutler did was to get paid and you look at the timeline I don't see any way you can possibly conclude that the Broncos organization started with the mud slinging.

2. Again, what slander and mud slinging are you talking about? Supposed leaks about Cutler being an a-hole? Those have been going on from day one. What's this big smoking gun where the Broncos stabbed him in the back?

I've produced multiple specific events where Cutler behaved in an unprofessional, deceitful, or two faced manner to get what he wanted. I don't see any specific examples of that from the organization. Instead its a bunch of star ****ers hanging off the bull**** Cutler and Cook threw out there to this day, acting like it was carved in stone and brought down from the mountain by Moses for us all to live by.

Fact is one side was out in front of the other by days on this little PR war. One side had no willingness to sit down and even talk with the other side in a reasonable fashion. One side continued to escalate the war of words through the media and cut off all ties to the other when the later didn't immediately supplicate and surrender to the former's requests.

That side happened to be Jay Cutler and Bus Cook. It all happened to play out nearly identically to what Brett Favre and Bus Cook did the off-season before that to get Brett to the Jets. And it wasn't too very different from the same PR war Cook waged with McNair to get him out of Tennessee and over to Baltimore.

Am I the only one seeing a pattern here?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-07-2010, 05:39 AM
Holy ****! It's 2009! Must have fallen into a...

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/mgm/hottubtimemachine/images/interior_01.jpg

I'm pretty curious what back-stabbing the organization did as well. Didn't seem like there was a whole lot of that, but then, I tend to not give a **** when a whiny athlete is demanding his way out of town, acting like spoiled child and blaming everyone else for his problems. But that's just me.

Kaylore
03-07-2010, 07:55 AM

The meeting you're referring to happened after Cutler shunned him three times during the OTA. Bowlen clearly took the hint that Denver didn't want him when he didn't come in for team workouts, and after calling him several times and not getting a response, then LYING about it saying "No brah, I totally called him back he didn't answer, tho" I mean what do you expect at that point. Then you hide behind Bus Cook when you do come in despite pleas to sit down man to man and discuss it?

And don't feed me this BS about "well he didn't trust McDaniels so he had to have Bus Cook there." What is having Bus Cook there have to do with trusting McDaniels? If he doesn't want to be a Bronco, how is meeting with Bus without his agent going to help anything?

The real reason was Cutler was a scared little girl. He hid behind his phone. He hid behind his agent. Even now when he gets up there for press conferences game after game of throwing interceptions he hides behind his podium, throwing his teammates and coaches under the bus and acting generally rude and confrontation after he does things that specifically lead to losses.

All it shows is that Cutler a whiny pussy who can't handle being a pro-player. He's a boozing sociopath that plays selfish football and doesn't take responsibility for his actions.

Dedhed
03-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Really?

BroncoInferno
03-07-2010, 08:03 AM
SoCal, are you ever going to provided a single shred of proof for these supposed leaks? The fact is this: you love Cutler are going to defend him to the death, even though the known facts of the situation make clear that he was being a petulant baby. The front office had every right to entertain trade offers. He reacted like a baby, refused to move on, refused to talk to the owner, outright lied on at least a couple of occasions, made bizarre statements...give me a break, dude.

DenverBrit
03-07-2010, 08:04 AM

Denver apparently won't make that kind of guarantee to BM and for good reason.

TotallyScrewed
03-07-2010, 10:15 AM
The meeting you're referring to happened after Cutler shunned him three times during the OTA. Bowlen clearly took the hint that Denver didn't want him when he didn't come in for team workouts, and after calling him several times and not getting a response, then LYING about it saying "No brah, I totally called him back he didn't answer, tho" I mean what do you expect at that point. Then you hide behind Bus Cook when you do come in despite pleas to sit down man to man and discuss it?

And don't feed me this BS about "well he didn't trust McDaniels so he had to have Bus Cook there." What is having Bus Cook there have to do with trusting McDaniels? If he doesn't want to be a Bronco, how is meeting with Bus without his agent going to help anything?

The real reason was Cutler was a scared little girl. He hid behind his phone. He hid behind his agent. Even now when he gets up there for press conferences game after game of throwing interceptions he hides behind his podium, throwing his teammates and coaches under the bus and acting generally rude and confrontation after he does things that specifically lead to losses.

All it shows is that Cutler a whiny p***Y who can't handle being a pro-player. He's a boozing sociopath that plays selfish football and doesn't take responsibility for his actions.

Nice rant. No more FACTS have been revealed by either side and NOBODY seems to want to or be capable of moving on. Pretty stupid really.

I've decided that it's no wonder that there aren't more Broncos in the hall of fame because when you're no longer a Bronco, the FACT is you suck and sucked...according to their fanbase.

Cito Pelon
03-07-2010, 10:23 AM

What would you have said to Cutler if you were in Bowlen's situation, SoCal?

You would have groveled to Cutler if you were Bowlen? Please.

You're enamored of Cutler, most of us in Colorado were not. In fact, when the trade was announced, according to an ESPN poll Colorado was the only state of the 50 that thought it was a good trade. That should have told you everything you need to know, but apparently it didn't.

StugotsIII
03-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Why are we still arguing about a qb that has never had a winning season in college or the NFL and who lead the NFL in ints last year?

Bowlen built a powerhouse...what has Cutler ever done but pout and whine? Oh yeah...he had a reaaly strong arm. BFD.

tsiguy96
03-07-2010, 10:41 AM
What would you have said to Cutler if you were in Bowlen's situation, SoCal?

You would have groveled to Cutler if you were Bowlen? Please.

You're enamored of Cutler, most of us in Colorado were not. In fact, when the trade was announced, according to an ESPN poll Colorado was the only state of the 50 that thought it was a good trade. That should have told you everything you need to know, but apparently it didn't.

there was a poll on patsfans.com, almost 80% of the people thought we raped chicago in the trade. they had seen his meltdown in our 7-41 beating by NE. at home.

TonyR
03-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Anyone with ESPN Insider access that can comment on the Brandon Marshall item posted 10:45am EST?

elsid13
03-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Anyone with ESPN Insider access that can comment on the Brandon Marshall item posted 10:45am EST?

It doesn't say anything. It same crap that been posted for over a week. Say Marshall is going to SEA and Jets could be interested.

Durango
03-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Well stated. Bowlen let the whole thing get away from him and McDaniels didn't really know what to do. When Chicago came calling with two #1's, opportunity provided a circumstance to close the whole thing out and move on. If Bowlen had taken the opportunity to talk with Cutler that day he met with McDaniels, things might have taken a different turn regardless of the presence of the agent. I think Bowlen wanted his new head coach to handle it, a learning experience of sorts. When the rancor only worsened, Bowlen tried to get back involved, but Cutler had already closed the door it seems.

I don't really blame Bowlen for ignoring the opportunity to meet with Cutler that day, but it probably would have made a difference.

rastaman
03-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Denver apparently won't make that kind of guarantee to BM and for good reason.

Marshall won't gurantee the Broncos and its hateful fans in 2010 that he will return to his beastly way of playing due to not wanting to RISK injury while playing under one year contracts. Hopefully Brandon realilzes his big pay day will come by staying HEALTHY and not going after YAC's and risking further injuries.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah, his big pay day will come by dropping when he gets the ball. That is what will cause all the other teams to bring out their checkbooks, someone who won't fight for the extra yard and is only thinking about himself when he's on the field. Brandon should be in line to become the highest paid WR in the league if that's how he plays next year.

and yes, we're all so hateful, we all sit up at night hoping that Brandon blows out his knee or commits another crime, just so we can all gleefully come here and point out his failings.