PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to acquire to groom behind Orton?

Florida_Bronco
03-06-2010, 03:13 AM
I've been discussing this with a couple other Bronco fans lately, and it seems like there are several realistic options (not including Brandstater) that we could acquire to groom behind Orton and push him for a starting job in 2011.

First you have Jimmy Clausen. It appears fairly certain that Marshall will be moved for a early 1st which could put us into position to draft him. Next, you have Brady Quinn, who has been stuck in Cleveland (nuff said) and was a target of ours last offseason. Both of them are Notre Dame products where they ran Charlie Weis' watered-down-for-college-version of offense that McDaniels has built on. While Clausen would require that early 1st, Quinn could probably be had for a mid to late round pick.

Lastly, you have Kevin O'Connell, the raw but extremely talented project player drafted by the Patriots in 2008 and now working as Mark Sanchez's backup in New York. A 6th or 7th rounder could probably bring him to Denver.

Discuss :)

KevinJames
03-06-2010, 03:24 AM
I don't see Sam Bradford on this list, or Tim Tebow who I think McD would draft in the 3rd round if hes available.

24champ
03-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Clausen is probably the most realistic option, assuming we get that #6 overall pick. Though, I am going to pick Kevin O'Connell to be the QB I would like out of all of them.

I don't see Holmgren dumping off Quinn for a mid round pick. Just don't see Holmgren giving up real soon on Quinn. He's 25 years old, has had a few bad seasons on a real bad team. Browns can still turn it around somewhat under Holmgren.

Same with Kevin O'Connell, I don't know if he is available...probably not. Though I would take O'Connell for a mid round pick. He has tons of upside, and is the perfect QB in McD's system. Got all the tools to do it.

Clausen reminds me of Jay Cutler...attitude is iffy. I don't know if McD would go for that...though Clausen has played in McD's system already.

Florida_Bronco
03-06-2010, 03:28 AM
I don't see Sam Bradford on this list, or Tim Tebow who I think McD would draft in the 3rd round if hes available.

I didn't include them because Bradford is almost certainly gone by our pick (assuming we get #6) and Tebow is likely to need 2 or 3 years of work to be ready.

BMarsh615
03-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Bradford and Tebow. The QB I hope we stay away from like the plague is Jimmy Clausen.

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Clausen reminds me of Jay Cutler...attitude is iffy. I don't know if McD would go for that...though Clausen has played in McD's system already.

I'd compare Clausen's attitude to more of a Phillip Rivers type than Cutler. He's cocky, but he has fun playing the game and you don't see other players talk disrupt his game.

The Joker
03-06-2010, 06:18 AM
My guess is we spend a 3rd on a QB in the draft, so none of those guys listed basically.

There figures to be good value in picking up a QB at our 3rd round selection.

Skelton
Snead
LeFevour
Tebow
McCoy

At least 2 or 3 of those guys will be there, and I reckon McDaniels will find one he likes. Skelton is the most intriguing, to me, but I haven't seen enough of them all to really say which prospect would be the best.

HorseHead
03-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Not to sound like Woody (Paige), but LeFevour is going to surprise a lot of people...

JLesSPE
03-06-2010, 08:56 AM
I like McCoy. He's a great leader, extremely accurate, and has a stronger arm than people think. I think he'd fit well into McDaniels' offense.

oubronco
03-06-2010, 08:58 AM
where's the none of the above choice

UberBroncoMan
03-06-2010, 09:06 AM
where's the none of the above choice

Exactly... btw where is the Tom Brandsater choice? You know... given that he's currently being groomed behind Orton and all.

Hamrob
03-06-2010, 09:10 AM
My first choice would be to wait and pick a guy in the draft next year.

My second choice would be Lefeavor (3rd round)

My third choice would Tebow (Boom or Bust Gamble) (3rd round)

UberBroncoMan
03-06-2010, 09:17 AM

My second choice would be Lefeavor (3rd round)

My third choice would Tebow (Boom or Bust Gamble) (3rd round)

He's my favorite QB in the draft.

bowtown
03-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Jake Locker

BMarsh615
03-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Have we cut Chris ****ing Simms yet?

elsid13
03-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Jake Locker

Dream on.

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 09:25 AM

Yeah, what's taking so long?

That should've happened during halftime of the SD game!

ColoradoBuff
03-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Clausen from this poll....but i agree, I would love to have LeFeavor in round 3 hoping he lasts that long.

Los Broncos
03-06-2010, 09:30 AM

I think we extended him for another few years.

Rohirrim
03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I would love to see what the McD brothers could do with Sean Canfield if he's still around in the late rounds.

gunns
03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Oh geez, those choices suck. I don't see a lot of hope in that area this year. I'm thinking O'Connell but I don't know an awful lot about him, maybe that's why he looks like the best choice, the other two, dear God NO.

Rabb
03-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Clausen, I think the comparison to Rivers is spot on and if any one of you said right now you wouldn't trade Marshall for Rivers...you are lying

I would in a heartbeat, he may be a douche but he wins games and kicks our ass at least once a year

A good QB will make us forget about Marshall, would it be nice to have both? Sure. I think Favre showed us what a franchise QB can do for a questionable group of receivers.

listopencil
03-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Brandy.

montrose
03-06-2010, 10:11 AM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Arizona+Cardinals+v+Denver+Broncos+HiMwS8uLX6Ll.jp g

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php?tqid=7763&type=news&nid=74030

colonelbeef
03-06-2010, 10:15 AM
there should be a N/A option

Florida_Bronco
03-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Exactly... btw where is the Tom Brandsater choice? You know... given that he's currently being groomed behind Orton and all.

The comments coming out of Dove Valley make it pretty clear that we plan to add another quarterback this year, thus no point in including someone who is already on the roster.

Personally I'm torn between these three. I really like guy. He's got extremely solid mechanics and fundamentals and has been a known as a clutch player, but it's hard to say no to a guy as talented as O'Connell.

s0phr0syne
03-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Is/was Clausen even better than Quinn? I feel like Quinn showed more potential coming out than Clausen does...but maybe it's just subjective memory. I know Clausen has a stronger arm, but Quinn impressed me more in terms of pocket mobility and awareness and accuracy.

Florida_Bronco
03-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Is/was Clausen even better than Quinn? I feel like Quinn showed more potential coming out than Clausen does...but maybe it's just subjective memory. I know Clausen has a stronger arm, but Quinn impressed me more in terms of pocket mobility and awareness and accuracy.

I don't know. Quinn is a pretty talented guy himself, but yes he had excellent mechanics and fundamentals coming out of college.

strafen
03-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm sticking with Tebow ;D

Archer81
03-06-2010, 12:12 PM
In order of preference? Bradford, Clausen, Tebow. Bradford wont be there IF we get the 6 pick, leaves Clausen and Tebow. If someone jumps up and grabs Clausen before Denver gets him, then Tebow in the 3rd round would be cool.

:Broncos:

DenverBrit
03-06-2010, 12:56 PM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Arizona+Cardinals+v+Denver+Broncos+HiMwS8uLX6Ll.jp g

:thumbsup:

rastaman
03-06-2010, 01:10 PM
I'd compare Clausen's attitude to more of a Phillip Rivers type than Cutler. He's cocky, but he has fun playing the game and you don't see other players talk disrupt his game.

How about drafting Holy Roller Colt "Two-gun" McCoy with our 2nd pick! Surely he's morally acceptable to some of the conservatively moral Denver Bronco fan base. Also, McCoy would surely buy into McD's "Bubble Screen" --- Dink n Dunk Offense.

Then perhaps we snag "I Can't hit the side of the barn" Holy Roller Tim Tebow in the 3rd round and turn him into a TE to eventually catch holy passes from McCoy.

This way Focus On The Family down in Colorado Springs would have renewed reasons to be Bronco Fans again.

rastaman
03-06-2010, 01:13 PM
:thumbsup:

Oops.....I forgot all about the "Second" coming of Tom Brady. My Bad. ROFL!

Caligula
03-06-2010, 01:15 PM

He's never going to see the field as a starter. I was assuming the OP was talkign about guys that might have a chance to play.

DenverBrit
03-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Oops.....I forgot all about the "Second" coming of Tom Brady. My Bad. ROFL!

I'm certain you forget a lot of things. Hilarious!

DenverBrit
03-06-2010, 01:18 PM
He's never going to see the field as a starter. I was assuming the OP was talkign about guys that might have a chance to play.

Why is that?

Play2win
03-06-2010, 02:12 PM

What's it going to cost to acquire this guy... ;D

GreatBronco16
03-06-2010, 02:45 PM
For some reason, I'd like to get Tebow. I just think he is going to be a good QB in the NFL.

lostknight
03-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Brandstater, Tebow, Clausen in my thinking. Watching Clausen in the other thread makes him look like a Kyle Orton who can hit his receivers in stride.

Bronco CB40
03-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Clausen, I think the comparison to Rivers is spot on and if any one of you said right now you wouldn't trade Marshall for Rivers...you are lying

I would in a heartbeat, he may be a douche but he wins games and kicks our ass at least once a year

I don't see the comparison.

Rivers won 34 games as a starter at North Carolina St., including a 3-1 record in bowl games. He averaged 8.25 wins a season. He's been a winner his entire football career.

Clausen had 16 wins as a starter at Notre Dame, averaging 5.2 wins a season and only taking the Irish to one bowl game.

Clausen had superior recruits than Rivers and couldn't lead Notre Dame to better than a 7-6 record.

Don't get me wrong, Clausen has his strengths (familiarity with a pro offense, turnover free 2009 season), but I don't see the intangibles from him.

If so many fans complain Cutler wasn't a winner, how can they argue for Clausen being the answer?

No, Clausen's situation isn't comparable to John Elway not going to a bowl game at Stanford. A great quarterback has to win at Notre Dame. There is no excuse for at least putting up 7-8 wins a season at minimum. All the tools were there to be successful, especially when you consider Clausen was surrounded by 1st-2nd round caliber targets like Tate, Floyd and Rudolph.

Killericon
03-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Quinn would be the cheapest.

rastaman
03-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm certain you forget a lot of things. Hilarious!

You must be thinking about Pat Bowlen! :~ohyah!:

rastaman
03-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Why isn't Colt McCoy Getting Any Love from all you wanna be draft experts?:sunshine:

oubronco
03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
TeBlow sucks and I don't want him anywhere near Dove Valley

Bronco CB40
03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
TeBlow sucks and I don't want him anywhere near Dove Valley

Tebow in round three is a more worthwhile gamble than Clausen in the top 11.

DBroncos4life
03-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Why isn't Colt McCoy Getting Any Love from all you wanna be draft experts?:sunshine:

Because he sucks.

lostknight
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM
There is no way Tebow survives till the third round. Won't happen.

Caligula
03-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Why is that?

Because he's not good. Just because he was drafted int eh 6th round, doesn't mean he is another Brady.

he couldn't even beat out Simms. When Orton was down with injury, they still put ORTON as the back-up to Simms. THe INJURED QB is better than Brandy.

He's no different than 99% of the other 6th round QBs taken. Even Bowlen said "I expect to draft a QB in the draft"... He wasn't talking about drafting another 6th round practice-fodder. He was talking about drafting a starting caliber QB. If the FO felt Brandstater had the skills to get on the field, he wouldn't be such an obvious after thought to the team's owner.

Didn't we hear these same high-hopes about Van Pelt? What is it about these low-round QBs that get some Denver fans so excited? I know that back-up is always the most popular player on the team, but come on.

Dedhed
03-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I hate more QBs than I like. Bradford reminds me of a cross between Brian Griese and Brodie Croyle. Clausen reminds me of a less talented Cutler. Colt reminds me of Chad Pennington. Tebow stands as good a chance of as starting at QB in the NFL as I do.

I don't get the love for LeFevour. His leadership was questioned in college, he showed a weaker than expected arm throwing to (YAY) only stationary targets, and showed that he's scared of a challenge by not willing to participate in live throwing drills at the combine. I don't see it at all with this guy.

Skelton is the only guy I like at all. Big, Mobile, strong armed, and ran a similar looking system at Fordham to what McD runs.

Tim Hiller is big, but he looks like an ogre on tape.

DenverBrit
03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Because he's not good. Just because he was drafted int eh 6th round, doesn't mean he is another Brady.

he couldn't even beat out Simms. When Orton was down with injury, they still put ORTON as the back-up to Simms. THe INJURED QB is better than Brandy.

He's no different than 99% of the other 6th round QBs taken. Even Bowlen said "I expect to draft a QB in the draft"... He wasn't talking about drafting another 6th round practice-fodder. He was talking about drafting a starting caliber QB. If the FO felt Brandstater had the skills to get on the field, he wouldn't be such an obvious after thought to the team's owner.

Didn't we hear these same high-hopes about Van Pelt? What is it about these low-round QBs that get some Denver fans so excited? I know that back-up is always the most popular player on the team, but come on.

Hmm, ok.

bloodsunday
03-06-2010, 05:02 PM
The kid from Central Michigan.

ZONA
03-06-2010, 06:56 PM

This

We have Brandstater that we are grooming now. We know he has the arm, smarts and he's even got decent mobility. It looks like Orton is going to be here this year and McD says he really wants to beef up the lines so I'm not sure, 6th overall pick or not, that we go for a QB. I think it's too early. What if we see tremendous improvements from Brandstater this camp and he is pushing Orton for that starting position. If we draft another QB now, what a waste that would be. They should try and move down from that 6th spot if that deal goes through and look to get a few guys mid to lower 1st, such as McClain and Iupati, something along those lines.

TomServo
03-07-2010, 01:38 AM
kid coach has orton pegged as our QB. he has a point to prove.(last year wasnt his fault) and he's going to ride orton next year SB or Bust.
brandstater will never srart an nfl game

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Clausen is probably the most realistic option, assuming we get that #6 overall pick. Though, I am going to pick Kevin O'Connell to be the QB I would like out of all of them.

I don't see Holmgren dumping off Quinn for a mid round pick. Just don't see Holmgren giving up real soon on Quinn. He's 25 years old, has had a few bad seasons on a real bad team. Browns can still turn it around somewhat under Holmgren.

Same with Kevin O'Connell, I don't know if he is available...probably not. Though I would take O'Connell for a mid round pick. He has tons of upside, and is the perfect QB in McD's system. Got all the tools to do it.

i would have agreed about Clausen's attitude and leadership skills 2 seasons ago, but the past season he really stepped up in those aspects of his game. I don't think they are much of a worry as some make it out to be. He is far from the lack of leadership ability Cutler had and his ****ty attitude.

my main problem with taking Bradford or Clausen if we do in fact acquire number 6 in this draft. It completely shuts the door on Orton. No matter what kind of season he has, the top 10 pick will take his job in 2011.

there are very few teams as stupid as the Browns who will pay multi million dollar contracts to 2 QBs, or teams as lucky as Arizona was paying a potential HOF QB and a top 10 QB. I can't see Bowlen paying for the highest draft pick this franchise has seen in decades to sit on the bench.

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2010, 02:29 AM
kid coach has orton pegged as our QB. he has a point to prove.(last year wasnt his fault) and he's going to ride orton next year SB or Bust.

i think Brandstater never starting has more to do with him than McDaniels ego. it isn't like Orton came out and led the league in INTs and lost us every game, and led us to the number 1 overall pick in this draft. He played well last season with a swinging gate protecting him the majority of the season.

Brandstater couldn't move up to number 2 on the depth chart, that just screams of being a guy who will never be more than a backup if he couldn't take Simms job.

Drek
03-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I'd personally still like to see us get Kevin O'Connell, then draft a later round QB to compliment. If LeFevour is available at a good value spot then grab him (I'd be ok with him in the 2nd, but ideally the 3rd) if not then get Skelton or Sean Canfield in the later rounds.

If you get LeFevour you slide Tom Brandstater down to the PS, if not and you take Skelton or Canfield then the one of those two you get goes to the PS instead. Orton is the starting guy but you let O'Connell and Brandstater/LeFevour have a legit shot to take his job.

Premier-Ace55
03-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Levi Brown

Bronco CB40
03-07-2010, 03:45 PM
i would have agreed about Clausen's attitude and leadership skills 2 seasons ago, but the past season he really stepped up in those aspects of his game. I don't think they are much of a worry as some make it out to be. He is far from the lack of leadership ability Cutler had and his ****ty attitude.

Clausen stepped up so much that Notre Dame lost its last four games to finish at 6-6.

He couldn't make a play when the Irish needed it to beat Navy or Connecticut. Really weak you ask me.

DenverBrit
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
i think Brandstater never starting has more to do with him than McDaniels ego. it isn't like Orton came out and led the league in INTs and lost us every game, and led us to the number 1 overall pick in this draft. He played well last season with a swinging gate protecting him the majority of the season.

Brandstater couldn't move up to number 2 on the depth chart, that just screams of being a guy who will never be more than a backup if he couldn't take Simms job.

But he might do so this year.

I doubt Brandstater saw a snap during last season after TC, the time was given to Simms.
There was no choice but to put Simms in when Orton was injured.

Bronco CB40
03-07-2010, 05:59 PM
But he might do so this year.

I doubt Brandstater saw a snap during last season after TC, the time was given to Simms.
There was no choice but to put Simms in when Orton was injured.

Exactly! It's rare for a rookie QB drafted after the 2nd round to see the field, even in the most extreme circumstances.

Mogulseeker
03-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Tebow = total douche.

Dudeskey
03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
None of the above- Colt McCoy

s0phr0syne
03-08-2010, 11:12 AM
This might sound retarded, but just read that the Browns are hosting Ben Watson.

If they're in the market for a TE, would a Scheffler + pick (5th or 6th) in return for Quinn be a deal that makes sense for them? Or is that just retarded Madden thinking?

Just seems like they've got a player who has been totally unproductive for them, the Broncos are giving them a player with proven production in this league, so it seems like a win-win. Dunno.

oubronco
03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Quinn sucks ass

s0phr0syne
03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I know he has in Cleveland so far, but for whatever reason, I think he's got the potential to be much better. If nothing else, McD has shown what he can do with Orton. I imagine with some good coaching, McD could upgrade Quinn into either a successful starter, or more than capable backup. I think we can all agree Simms can't be relied upon as QB2 again.

oubronco
03-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Quinn has already been in the system for awhile he hasn't been any good and I don't see how McD would change that

Bronco CB40
03-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I know he has in Cleveland so far, but for whatever reason, I think he's got the potential to be much better. If nothing else, McD has shown what he can do with Orton. I imagine with some good coaching, McD could upgrade Quinn into either a successful starter, or more than capable backup. I think we can all agree Simms can't be relied upon as QB2 again.

Why would anybody want this peach to be Denver's QB? I couldn't root for this princess.

http://indiana.bilerico.com/2008/05/brady_quinn_shirtless_cellphone.jpg

ZONA
03-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Yup. We don't need to acquire anybody. That's the problem most fans today. They can't even see the young developing talent right under their noses. They get so caught up in the draft hype, they are willing to just move past last years guy to be groomed and onto the next one. Same thing will happen next year, who do we acquire. Give Tom a chance for godsake.

ZONA
03-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Oh that's right, we forgot you had a crystal ball and could tell the future. Because QB's that come in and sit for a year never become starters eventually. How stupid of us to even think it could happen.

crush17
03-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Dan LeFevour!!

Florida_Bronco
03-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Why would anybody want this peach to be Denver's QB? I couldn't root for this princess.

http://indiana.bilerico.com/2008/05/brady_quinn_shirtless_cellphone.jpg

Who the **** cares what he looks like? He's a quarterback, not a booty call.

Bronco CB40
03-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Who the **** cares what he looks like? He's a quarterback, not a booty call.

It's not his looks, it's his whole persona.

If a locker room thinks their QB doesn't have any balls, they aren't going to sell out for him.

Florida_Bronco
03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
It's not his looks, it's his whole persona.

If a locker room thinks their QB doesn't have any balls, they aren't going to sell out for him.

He didn't have that problem at Notre Dame where he was easily one of the toughest players on their team.

barryr
03-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I called for LeFevour a couple months ago and I think he's a guy to get in the 3rd round. I like Tebow has a FB/TE type to run the "wildcat" or whatever you want to call it, here and there. I like McCoy more than I do Bradford or Pike. I don't know about Clausen. Numbers and competition say yes, but the same was said about Brady Quinn and look how he has done. Just not sure about him.

The QB spot will be better in next years draft IMO.

Bronco CB40
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
He didn't have that problem at Notre Dame where he was easily one of the toughest players on their team.

Nobody in a NFL locker room gives a crap about what a player did in college.

That's a boy's game. The NFL is a man's game.

24champ
03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Yup. We don't need to acquire anybody. That's the problem most fans today. They can't even see the young developing talent right under their noses. They get so caught up in the draft hype, they are willing to just move past last years guy to be groomed and onto the next one. Same thing will happen next year, who do we acquire. Give Tom a chance for godsake.

You can never acquire too much talent for the QB position.

Tom is going to have to earn it, not just "given a chance" aka hand the job to him when Orton is done here.

I'd like to see Simms cut ASAP and let the competition begin for the backup spot. Be it Brandstater or whoever else that comes in.

24champ
03-14-2010, 04:52 PM
FLBronco is a Quinn homer, got his answer today.

Killericon
03-14-2010, 04:55 PM
I didn't even remember who I voted for, but looky here I voted for Quinn. Score.

Florida_Bronco
03-14-2010, 05:57 PM
FLBronco is a Quinn homer, got his answer today.

To be fair, I would have been happy with any of them, although I am a little down on Clausen after hearing what Drek had to say about him. I really like Quinn though and I'm glad we snagged him, especially considering the fact that he was basically free.