PDA

View Full Version : Bubble screen pass will be here to stay...

strafen
03-06-2010, 12:36 AM
After doing a little research on who might best fit the McDaniels system at QB, I came to the conclusion it will be Jimmy Clausen as much as it pains me to say it.
I'm just old school when it comes down to a QB.
That said...

I can almost be sure the Broncos will draft Jimmy Clausen.
You're talking about bubble screen passes and quick-outs, and there's nobody in the draft who would do that better for McDaniels than Jimmy Clausen.
I'm short of guaranteeing he'll be a Bronco.

Now, I would hate that pick, but just because I don't like it, doesn't mean it won't work. I think that's McDaniels guy. Same offense ran in New England under Weiss

See this video, and you can almost visualize him in a Broncos uniform.
The offense he's running in this video is the same offense we ran last year.
Look at all those short and quick-out passes, the occasional downfield throws and how they run the PBS offense.
I kid you not.
Check it out...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

bap454
03-06-2010, 12:39 AM
guarantee.... assuming we pick up the #6 pick, right?

strafen
03-06-2010, 12:42 AM
guarantee.... assuming we pick up the #6 pick, right?Correct. And that's why they tendered Marshall a 1st round pick.
Even if we get a lower than a #6 pick for Marshall, the Broncos would try to bundle up a deal to get him.
That's just the feeling I've got when I was watching that video.
Eerily similar to what we've ran. It's almost like watching the Broncos last year...

Killericon
03-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm no College football fan, but isn't being impressed by Notre Dame beating Hawaii sort of like being impressed by Mike Tyson beating a 13 year old boy?

strafen
03-06-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm no College football fan, but isn't being impressed by Notre Dame beating Hawaii sort of like being impressed by Mike Tyson beating a 13 year old boy?You're probably right, and while the video highlights Clausen's best performance, that wasn't the focus of my thread...

bap454
03-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Correct. And that's why they tendered Marshall a 1st round pick.
Even if we get a lower than a #6 pick for Marshall, the Broncos would try to bundle up a deal to get him.
That's just the feeling I've got when I was watching that video.
Eerily similar to what we've ran. It's almost like watching the Broncos last year...

I have to admit, I havnt watched any film of Clausen. However, you are correct. It was Eerily similar... Now in watching the video, I have to say I would be ok with Clausen at number 6. Albeit, it was only one game but I was most impressed with his velocity and accuracy (touch). He looked the part in the pocket. Nice work!:thumbsup:

strafen
03-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I have to admit, I havnt watched any film of Clausen. However, you are correct. It was Eerily similar... Now in watching the video, I have to say I would be ok with Clausen at number 6. Albeit, it was only one game but I was most impressed with his velocity and accuracy (touch). He looked the part in the pocket. Nice work!:thumbsup:Thanks!
Clausen is not my choice for QB, but when you try to make an educated guess as to who would the Broncos most likely be looking at in this year's draft, it's hard to imagine that Clausen won't be their first choice...

xznsocal
03-06-2010, 12:57 AM
I especially liked the play where he defeated a free runner with a stiff arm and then located a target deep and dropped a dime while on the run without having to reset. Impressive.

Also the deep fade route into the left corner of the endzone against cover two was a beautiful, big-time throw. He showed the touch and velocity bap454 indicated to fit it into a very tight window, meanwhile demonstrating great recognition and timing.

I still want to see what happens at his Pro Day but if we really get the #6 pick and land him I'd be excited. Don't see how any Bronco fan wouldn't be as well.

strafen
03-06-2010, 01:03 AM
I especially liked the play where he defeated a free runner with a stiff arm and then located a target deep and dropped a dime while on the run without having to reset. Impressive.

Also the deep fade route into the left corner of the endzone against cover two was a beautiful, big-time throw. He showed the touch and velocity bap454 indicated to fit it into a very tight window, meanwhile demonstrating great recognition and timing.

I still want to see what happens at his Pro Day but if we really get the #6 pick and land him I'd be excited. Don't see how any Bronco fan wouldn't be as well.You're right.
I'm not a big fan of Clausen, but yeah, you look at that video and you can't help, but wish to see a guy like that running our offense.

extralife
03-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Not watching college ball and never having seen Clausen play once in my life, here are my conclusions:

-he keeps the ball really high, but releases it pretty low

-likes to stare down receivers

-really good pocket awareness and nice mobility, including an ability to throw on the run

-he had talented wideouts

-his deep ball is pretty weird looking

-he can zing it

he looks like an NFL QB to me, I dunno. and yeah, the offense looks familiar.

xznsocal
03-06-2010, 01:10 AM
What I really don't get is why the draft "experts" are so divided on him.

Kiper has him #4 on his Big Board
NFLDraftCountdown has him #10

BUT

Mayock does not have him in his top twenty

AND

Mc Shay and Scouts Inc. have him with an early second round grade and a #28 prospect ranking.

The evaluation that really matters is what Josh Mc Daniels thinks though....

strafen
03-06-2010, 01:13 AM

Kiper has him #4 on his Big Board
NFLDraftCountdown has him #10

BUT

Mayock does not have him in his top twenty

AND

Mc Shay and Scouts Inc. have him with an early second round grade and a #28 prospect ranking.

The evaluation that really matters is what Josh Mc Daniels thinks though....I think he'll be going early.
The Rams need a QB amongst other needs. It will depend on what the Rams do...

ZONA
03-06-2010, 01:20 AM
He's Kyle Orton but with more mobility and a much better arm. I'm not going to say he's going to light it up in the NFL but I think he would be an upgrade over Orton, eventually, maybe not his rookie season but I think in year 2 it would be an upgrade.

Watching that clip, the 1:50 mark, that dude has a cannon for an arm.

The MVPlaya
03-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Too short, he's barely 6-3.

I think it's pretty cute you're watching youtube videos and then pretty much guaranteeing we're going to draft someone, but you have to understand that your research of about 10 minutes isn't exactly adequate to make assumptions like that - especially when there is much more that goes intodrafting a top player.

I know you'd hope it's as easy as what you're saying - however any 10 year old can watch our offense and that video and see that it's the same.

There is much more than just watching that he ran the same offense.

With that being said - this is one of your better posts.

Maybe it's the fact that some of my friends went to school with him so I know a bit more "background" on him than usual, but watching a video and saying that he ran the same offense isn't valid enough to tell anyone that's who we're going to or attempting to draft.

It's like saying we're looking at every fighting irish player and most likely going to draft them because they know the system. Or in reverse logic - it's like saying teams won't look at him because he ran that offense.

There was also a thread on here not too long ago of another QB from an extremely small school that was running a very similar offense, and he was a much bigger QB. With your logic - you'd also be saying we'll draft him too, right?

ZONA
03-06-2010, 01:27 AM
[QUOTE=The MVPlaya;2768382]Too short, he's barely 6-3.

QUOTE]

Drew Brees just won the superbowl and outplayed Manning and he's not even a touch over 6 feet. What's your point? Montana wasn't a tall guy either. And wasn't Elway 6'3?

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 01:32 AM
There's no guarantee he's even there at 6. If St. Louis takes Bradford at 1, Shanny could grab Clausen at 4.

Florida_Bronco
03-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Drew Brees just won the superbowl and outplayed Manning and he's not even a touch over 6 feet. What's your point? Montana wasn't a tall guy either. And wasn't Elway 6'3?

6'3 is plenty tall for a QB.

There's no guarantee he's even there at 6. If St. Louis takes Bradford at 1, Shanny could grab Clausen at 4.

I don't see it. He's already got Campbell, who has been a decent starter so you figure Shanny is almost obligated to at least spend a year with him, plus he has Colt Brennan on the roster too.

The MVPlaya
03-06-2010, 01:49 AM
[QUOTE=The MVPlaya;2768382]Too short, he's barely 6-3.

QUOTE]

lol - I don't have a problem - however I personally believe one of the requirements for QB in this system (in the NFL) is to be 6'4+. It was recently mentioned in that interview with Xanders that there are specific requirements for every position on this team/scheme/system.

I personally have no problem with a short quarterback, running back, WR, TE, etc.

bap454
03-06-2010, 01:57 AM
"Background"... ok lets have it. Let me guess, hes a punk and likes to take "questionable" photos with his buddies?

bap454
03-06-2010, 02:00 AM
So let me get this straight 6'3'' is too short and 6'4'' is good... well I did read an article on him that said his height was a null point because his eye sockets actaully sit about an inch higher on his forehead than normal human beings.

The MVPlaya
03-06-2010, 02:06 AM
"Background"... ok lets have it. Let me guess, hes a punk and likes to take "questionable" photos with his buddies?

No man - I didn't just check google images hahahah

For starters he went to the same school as Marc Tyler - that's where he and Marc had a huge offense in HS that both led to their recruitment to top schools. They went to a school calls Oaks Christian, it's right off the 101, you can see the facility and fields from the freeway.

Since this isn't too far I got to see him play in HS. I remember he had this whole ordeal going on about his age when he going to college. I think it was because he had to stay back a grade or something.

The school is a rich boy school pretty much - private school that holds prestige to popular people I guess you could say. Kind of like getting as much celeb children as possible.

Will Smith, Wayne Gretzky, Joe Montana, and many more have their kids go their. So it's not exactly cost minimizing to send your kids here.

I guess you can imagine everything from there if you've been in an environment with rich kids and all the BS that goes on...

There is a reason why Jimmy got clocked in the face like a b1tch at Notre Dame - that wasn't his first time in his life Hilarious!

The MVPlaya
03-06-2010, 02:08 AM
So let me get this straight 6'3'' is too short and 6'4'' is good... well I did read an article on him that said his height was a null point because his eye sockets actaully sit about an inch higher on his forehead than normal human beings.

The NFL is a game of inches haha. I'm not sure if he's a FULL 6'3...like Drew Brees... he's not 6 foot, even tho it's listed everywhere.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 04:16 AM
First of all 6'3 to 6'5 is the average height of QB in the League. And Clausenis legit 6'3. I would be more concern with smaller hands (9 in) then his height.

That being said, I don't like him at all. I think if played anywhere else but ND he would be a late 2nd round pick. His best games came against teams that didn't have NFL speed on their defense and worse one came were one that showed NFL style discipline in their zone and had speed. I hope McDaniels isn't stupid listening to that fat **** in KC and draft this kid.

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 04:38 AM
He measured in at 6025 at the combine. 6'2 and 5/8. It's tall enough.

Garcia Bronco
03-06-2010, 05:04 AM
6'3 is plenty tall for a QB.

I don't see it. He's already got Campbell, who has been a decent starter so you figure Shanny is almost obligated to at least spend a year with him, plus he has Colt Brennan on the roster too.

six-three is plenty.

The MVPlaya
03-06-2010, 05:09 AM
I'm not sure where you guys missed the part that McDaniels likes tall QB's... and I was right - he isn't a legit 6'3.

No one is saying he's a short QB or his height isn't adequate for the NFL...

bowtown
03-06-2010, 06:31 AM

Because he's a douche nozzle.

Drunk Monkey
03-06-2010, 07:11 AM
I am a life long ND fan. Yes he was a douche nozzle his first few year but he did matured. He was a legit leader on that team his last year. While he had a good short game his biggest strength as a QB is his deep ball. He can drop them in there with the best of them. He also has pretty good wheels when his toe is not messed up. I would be more than happy to get him with our 6th.

Paladin
03-06-2010, 07:28 AM

And his tallywhacker is higher, too, so as to reduce the drag factor. Mostly his butt sags a bit but not a real factor in the velocity of his throws since it does not impede his arm movements. The hands are suitably placed which is to say they remain off the ground.....

His nose takes up a goodly portion of his face, but it is centered and does not reflect the sunlight into his higher placed eyes, which are slightly wider which allows better total field vision. Sort of like an Eagle.....

This guy is built to be a QB in the NFL.....

Or maybe it was plastic surgery......

cmhargrove
03-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Dude, we're going to kick Hawaii's ass next year!

Oh, wait.

Rohirrim
03-06-2010, 07:35 AM
I agree with what somebody else said on here: The skills of Brady Quinn and the personality problems of Cutler. Oh Boy! What a combo.

Dagmar
03-06-2010, 08:08 AM
dragster makes a retarded thread. Color me stunned.

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Overhyped since high school.

I hope someone picks him and Bradford before the Broncos have a chance to think it over.

bowtown
03-06-2010, 08:25 AM
overhyped since high school.

I hope someone picks him and bradford before the broncos have a chance to think it over.

+1

TonyR
03-06-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure what the many Orton haters would have the Broncos do. Do you want them to stick with Orton or draft a high level QB prospect? Maybe you don't like either option but you have to prefer one to the other. Which is it?

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure what the many Orton haters would have the Broncos do. Do you want them to stick with Orton or draft a high level QB prospect? Maybe you don't like either option but you have to prefer one to the other. Which is it?

As much as I criticize Orton, he IS the best option for 2010. The team needs linemen on both sides of the ball.

No QB in this year's draft class would be worthy of a top 20 pick anyway.

Now a later round flyer on a QB wouldn't be a bad idea though.

strafen
03-06-2010, 08:39 AM
As much as I criticize Orton, he IS the best option for 2010. The team needs linemen on both sides of the ball.

No QB in this year's draft class would be worthy of a top 20 pick anyway.

Now a later round flyer on a QB wouldn't be a bad idea though.I'm not particular high on Clausen.
I'm just pointing out that McDaniels may have his eyes set on him.
You look at the video and you'd see why.
I like most of you, have my favorite QB's in my wish list.
Get ready for surprises. That's all I'm saying ;D

oubronco
03-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I hate the bubble screen offense

strafen
03-06-2010, 08:46 AM
I hate the bubble screen offense

Me too.
Unfortunately, it's the bread and butter of our offense.

oubronco
03-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Would a different QB change McD's way of calling plays?

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 08:53 AM

Hard to say for sure in the passing game.

You need a legitimate deep threat to clear out underneath to really make the offense work.

That being said, you would also need a corresponding accurate deep passer.

oubronco
03-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Hard to say for sure in the passing game.

You need a legitimate deep threat to clear out underneath to really make the offense work.

That being said, you would also need a corresponding accurate deep passer.

Yes but would McD change the offense or would he stay with the bubble screen offense

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Yes but would McD change the offense or would he stay with the bubble screen offense

Well, if he stubbornly stuck with the doomed from the start short yardage running plays, then yes, he would stick with the bubble screen.

LOL

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2010, 09:00 AM
After doing a little research on who might best fit the McDaniels system at QB, I came to the conclusion it will be Jimmy Clausen as much as it pains me to say it.
I'm just old school when it comes down to a QB.
That said...

I can almost be sure the Broncos will draft Jimmy Clausen.
You're talking about bubble screen passes and quick-outs, and there's nobody in the draft who would do that better for McDaniels than Jimmy Clausen.
I'm short of guaranteeing he'll be a Bronco.

Now, I would hate that pick, but just because I don't like it, doesn't mean it won't work. I think that's McDaniels guy. Same offense ran in New England under Weiss

See this video, and you can almost visualize him in a Broncos uniform.
The offense he's running in this video is the same offense we ran last year.
Look at all those short and quick-out passes, the occasional downfield throws and how they run the PBS offense.
I kid you not.
Check it out...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lRgGpMhNb4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Wow, scary how much ND's offense under Clausen looks like the Broncos offense under Orton.

My counterpoint is that drafting Clausen at #6 is a huge gamble simply because he is potentially another Orton, that is, he doesn't upgrade McD's QB position.

Why spend the #6 pick on a QB you already have?

strafen
03-06-2010, 10:59 AM

As far as calling plays, yes, I would think so...
If you guys remember Brandstater playing in pre-season, Mcdaniels' plan was a little different. We saw some deep passes, more downfield throws along with some screen passes. It was a well-balanced combination.

I'd love to have a more of a pocket traditional passer that could do both.

strafen
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow, scary how much ND's offense under Clausen looks like the Broncos offense under Orton.

My counterpoint is that drafting Clausen at #6 is a huge gamble simply because he is potentially another Orton, that is, he doesn't upgrade McD's QB position.

Why spend the #6 pick on a QB you already have?Clausen does have some mobility and improvisation skills that gives him an edge over Orton.
That said, the question is who would the Broncos get by trying to get an extra 1st round pick?
When you see a guy like Clausen who ran a Charlie Weiss offense you would have to think he'll be a guy Mcdaniels is looking for.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-06-2010, 11:08 AM
As far as calling plays, yes, I would think so...
If you guys remember Brandstater playing in pre-season, Mcdaniels' plan was a little different. We saw some deep passes, more downfield throws along with some screen passes. It was a well-balanced combination.

I'd love to have a more of a pocket traditional passer that could do both.

What you saw there was Brandstater not checking out of plays at the line to change to bubble screen.

As someone already said in this thread, the bubble screen is not generally called in the huddle. It's a checkdown when the inside receiver is open or if a defense is playing zone coverage.

Of course, knowing this would require factual knowledge of football.

s0phr0syne
03-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Weird, I was expecting to come away from the video impressed...but for some reason I wasn't. Prolly just b/c I'm a hater...who knows?

The Joker
03-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I quite like the bubble screens, personally. (Aside from when we do them on 3rd and long, which happened last year a few times.)

They were quite effective a number of times last year, I'm not sure exactly why people have a problem with them?

We only do them a few times a game anyway, the way some people go on you'd think we did nothing but.

Archer81
03-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I quite like the bubble screens, personally. (Aside from when we do them on 3rd and long, which happened last year a few times.)
They were quite effective a number of times last year, I'm not sure exactly why people have a problem with them?

We only do them a few times a game anyway, the way some people go on you'd think we did nothing but.

Or to the LT...

:Broncos:

strafen
03-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Weird, I was expecting to come away from the video impressed...but for some reason I wasn't. Prolly just b/c I'm a hater...who knows?The point I was trying to make was about the similarities of the Notre Dame offense to ours.
That was uncanny to say the least...

broncosteven
03-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Is it me or did I miss all the bubble screens that were run last year?

I expected a ton of screens last year and don't remember a huge amount of them run to the RB's WR's or TE's. Shanny always seemed to like to throw the screen to the slow TE's and watch them plow guys over for a 3 yard gain but mCd didn't run as many as I expected.

Maybe it was because we have no Wes Welker type back.

Everything mCd seemed to run to me was more down field comeback type stuff. It seemed to me that he was trying to work positive yardage plays that had a high % of working but took time to develop.

If we draft a QB high this year I am guessing they will go after a guy who is smart and understands the game and can make the high % pass and not throw a dumb INT to kill drives.

WolfpackGuy
03-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Or to the LT...

Noone was expecting it. Including Clady it seemed!

LOL

Play2win
03-06-2010, 11:34 AM
What do you call that WR screen, that has the WR (lined-up out wide), running back towards the QB along the line of scrimmage, then receives the ball, turns upfield, with blocking ahead of him? The blocking looks almost like a running play. Sometimes it blows up in our face a little, but if executed perfectly, its a beautiful thing to watch. The WR can use his blocks, and just weave in and out of all the traffic, sometimes for a big gain!

What's that play called again?

Dagmar
03-06-2010, 11:35 AM
What you saw there was Brandstater not checking out of plays at the line to change to bubble screen.

As someone already said in this thread, the bubble screen is not generally called in the huddle. It's a checkdown when the inside receiver is open or if a defense is playing zone coverage.

Of course, knowing this would require factual knowledge of football.

Do not DARE address his majesty dragster. You are on ignore. Act like it.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/2/7/128785266251718339.jpg

broncosteven
03-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Noone was expecting it. Including Clady it seemed!

LOL

I still chalk that one up to mCd's Ego and youth.

The good thing is that I doubt we ever have to see that again during his tenure.

This is the year I expect will make or break mCd, I hope he can make it I don't want to be beaten by KFC and Oakland at home and I am sick of late season EPIC slides.

strafen
03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I still chalk that one up to mCd's Ego and youth.

The good thing is that I doubt we ever have to see that again during his tenure.

This is the year I expect will make or break mCd, I hope he can make it I don't want to be beaten by KFC and Oakland at home and I am sick of late season EPIC slides.

We still could use him as a goal line ball carrier Ha!

DawnBTVS
03-06-2010, 01:31 PM
The one thing that concerns me about Clausen is his character...

He made this quote as he was coming out for the NFL Draft: "I don't think we could have done more than we did this past year. Golden has played great. I've done my part. I think this is just the best time for us to go out."

Now keep in mind that his team just went 6-6, didn't even go to a Bowl Game, and he was a Junior.

One would think he'd want to try and at least finish his career in a bowl game or maybe try and win 8 games? Heck, a National Championship would be a nice goal as a Senior too.

The other thing I didn't like was that he specifically said Golden Tate played great and he did his part. Again, his team went 6-6! If doing his part was a .500 record than I'm curious how he'll react in the NFL when he wins 3 or 4 games. Will he say that he did his part then too?

Just kinda rubs me wrong, like the quotes from JaMarcus Russell.

oubronco
03-06-2010, 01:45 PM

we won't have Marshall to break tackles like he does

doonwise
03-07-2010, 02:59 AM
McD won't take a QB in the first round., but I really enjoyed the video.