who?

GoBroncos84
03-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Dolphins nickel corner

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6964

extralife
03-05-2010, 07:26 PM
we sure do like the Miami secondary lately

what does this mean for Alphonso, really?

UberBroncoMan
03-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Ha... ha... BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Dolphins just cut one of their Safety's too. Lets get the quad!

UberBroncoMan
03-05-2010, 07:27 PM
we sure do like the Miami secondary lately

what does this mean for Alphonso, really?

Means McDaniels made a mistake giving away the #14 pick in the best draft in the last ten years.

GoBroncos84
03-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I just hope there isn't another lame nickname like the browncos...

GoBroncos84
03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Means McDaniels made a mistake giving away the #14 pick in the best draft in the last ten years.

Won't be able to get over that for awhile. Well, until we are once again a winning franchise. To me, that is the worst mistake he has made to date.

Hamrob
03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Not a bad pickup...the guy can play nickle or dime.

Hamrob
03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Won't be able to get over that for awhile. Well, until we are once again a winning franchise. To me, that is the worst mistake he has made to date.Well...I wouldn't have let Cutler go...but this ranks right up there.

UberBroncoMan
03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Funniness with this aside.

Nate Jones doesn't actually look like a bad signing at all. I'm curious how fast he is though.

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=JON636637

16 games with 4 starts.

10 pass deflections to go with 2 INT's and 2 FF's and a solid tackle rate. Even 1 sack.

He'll be 28 this season. So not 30+ like we've done with most signings.

UberBroncoMan
03-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Won't be able to get over that for awhile. Well, until we are once again a winning franchise. To me, that is the worst mistake he has made to date.

It still is void of logic to me. It was so ****ing stupid.

I could understand he wanted to give him a year to grow in the NFL. But Alphonso Smith was a 24 year old rookie... now he's 25 this year.

With Champ and Goodman still starting, and this signing (looks like he was signed specifically for the nickle position) it seems the Smith pick was a complete waist.

Hell that undrafted CB outplayed Smith (name escapes me atm).

That #14 pick could have been HUGE for us this year.

GoBroncos84
03-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Well...I wouldn't have let Cutler go...but this ranks right up there.

Neither would I, I hated that trade. But an argument can be made that we got decent value out of it (in terms of pick compensation, we haven't proven success in what we used those picks for). But the alphonso trade, so far, looks horrific value wise.

I am supporting McD and giving him a chance, not trying to bash. All of this has been discussed. Just elaborating on my comment.

GoBroncos84
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
It still is void of logic to me. It was so ****ing stupid.

I could understand he wanted to give him a year to grow in the NFL. But Alphonso Smith was a 24 year old rookie... now he's 25 this year.

With Champ and Goodman still starting, and this signing (looks like he was signed specifically for the nickle position) it seems the Smith pick was a complete waist.

Hell that undrafted CB outplayed Smith (name escapes me atm).

That #14 pick could have been HUGE for us this year.

Not only that, but if they really wanted Smith why not package picks in that draft and move up? Instead of making the trade to get Quinn, add another pick or player to move up further in the 2nd and get Smith rather than using a future 1st. I don't mind them being aggressive and getting someone they really want, but don't be stupid. Look at how NE manipulates the draft, he needs to learn from that.

gyldenlove
03-05-2010, 07:42 PM
They are saying 4 years with a max value of 13.6 million so it looks like around 10 million over 4 years, not bad.

montrose
03-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Alphonso's just not a nickel, Med went into detail about this. His skills are that of an outside, man-to-man CB. Smith, Goodman and Jones could make a nice trio of CBs for a the future.

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 08:12 PM
This is not because of Alphonso Smith or anything to do with him - this is about gearing up for the Colts.

Goobzilla
03-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Wait for it...

TDmvp
03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Wait for it...

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6458/sodiumlosesimedium.jpg

TheDave
03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
This is not because of Alphonso Smith or anything to do with him - this is about gearing up for the Colts.

Some of you fan boys would have a lot more credibility if you didn't say such stupid things.

This signing has everything to do with Smith and his lack of production last year. Now maybe he can still turn inyto a player, but at this point we are signing a FA to $3 mil a year to play his position.

521 1N5
03-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Dang that hurts my Eric Berry possibility...

Zoobie
03-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Some of you fan boys would have a lot more credibility if you didn't say such stupid things.

This signing has everything to do with Smith and his lack of production last year. Now maybe he can still turn inyto a player, but at this point we are signing a FA to $3 mil a year to play his position.

The Nickelback is not Smith's position, but okay.

montrose
03-05-2010, 08:36 PM

Yes and no Dave, I'm sure the Broncos would love for Smith to slide into the NB spot but Med's analysis (and Smith's play at camp) showed his skillset just doesn't lend itself well to the NB spot and he's more ideally suited to be an outside man-to-man CB. It would be awesome if he flourished as a NB but taking a guy who was a ballhawk in college playing man and asking him to cover veteran slot guys on option routes in zone coverage is just not ideal for a rookie.

Here's what Med had to say:

I just watched some old film of Smith at Wake when I was Watching Film on Brandon Ghee, just to compare them. Smith was a freaking Playmaker at Wake with a 21 INTS, 9 sacks, 23.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and eight forced fumbles for his career. He also could cover outside pretty damn well, but they did not use him in the slot very much, which could be why he did not play well there this past season.

This kid has a ton of natural talent to play CB, and it was not there last year for some reason. The real reason may be playing inside in so much space with a lot of Zone responsibilities. That was not why he was such a playmaker at Wake. He was a much better outside CB that really recognized routes and anticipated throws. I think he got lost inside trying to cover quicker and smarter players across zones with much more complicated route patterns game to game.

I am not sure how much he learned from that, but if he did, he can be a weapon there. The kid can blitz, makes solid tackles behind the LOS, and can cover. I just hope he learns quickly and can make the adjustments needed to play the slot at this level. I know he can play outside at this level, but that is not where they need him right now.

So, I'll take a chance on him and say he will break out this year. He was a playmaker outside in college, and I think he works hard enough to try and be one in the slot this year too.
http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2755104&postcount=45

TheDave
03-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Yes and no Dave, I'm sure the Broncos would love for Smith to slide into the NB spot but Med's analysis (and Smith's play at camp) showed his skillset just doesn't lend itself well to the NB spot and he's more ideally suited to be an outside man-to-man CB. It would be awesome if he flourished as a NB but taking a guy who was a ballhawk in college playing man and asking him to cover veteran slot guys on option routes in zone coverage is just not ideal for a rookie.

Here's what Med had to say:

http://orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2755104&postcount=45

Sorry Montorse, but Med is taking a guess at why he sucked last year. Read what he said again...

but they did not use him in the slot very much, which could be why he did not play well there this past season

This kid has a ton of natural talent to play CB, and it was not there last year for some reason

The real reason may be playing inside

I think he got lost inside

Now, I'm beyond carring why he sucked... and to be honest it looks like the coaches are too.

Regardless of why he is having trouble in the NFL we just signed ANOTHER corner that as of today is ahead of him on the depth chart...

KipCorrington25
03-05-2010, 08:46 PM
The Nickelback is not Smith's position, but okay.

True, we need a higher denomination of coin for Smith to get on the field, maybe the Silver Dollar Back, only plays if there are 100 DB's needed. :wiggle:

Play2win
03-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I think Alphonso is going to turn into a great player for us, it is just going to take time.

I guess the question is, should you have to have too much patience with a guy that was (effectively) drafted in the first round?

Its kind of like Moreno, the guy is going to at least be solid for us. Could he be real good for us, maybe, but it will take time. But, should a high 1st round running back be just solid? Shouldn't he be DYNAMIC?

Both these guys do seem like do seem like good-to-great longer term investments. Is that really a problem, if they turn out great, say, in their 3rd year, or does that mean we drafted them too high?

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:00 PM

"Fan boys"? Aren't we on a FAN forum? WTF?

MY credibility? lol that's funny.

Do we have a dime CB right now? We would be getting a CB from somewhere regardless - it has nothing to do with Smith. If Smith played outstanding last year - we would still be getting a CB.

If your goal is to make the playoffs and compete, you better gear your team up to be ready for who you have a high chance of facing. This is IN THE MINDS of the Broncos.

Nathan Jones is being brought in to compete is what we're probably going to hear, to think that they just wrote of Smith and are going to forget about his development and let Jones take over his position - you, genius, have as much credibility as the world being flat.

Now why don't you go back and browse your gay teen forums. Hilarious!

montrose
03-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Regardless of why he is having trouble in the NFL we just signed ANOTHER corner that as of today is ahead of him on the depth chart...

Yeah we're going to have to wait and see, but I still see Smith as a future key contributor on the outside. Med's possible theories certainly make sense in principle and while I haven't been a big fan of some of McDaniels moves, I still support the move to get Smith 100%.

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Really? I'd like to see where there's an official depth chart listed for the 10-11 season.

This is a common trait between all the idiots like you around here - jumping to conclusions and making statements that essentially, aren't true.

Kaylore
03-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm leaning toward McDaniels screwed the pooch with that pick. I don't blame Smith. I liked him in the draft and I like him now. It's not his fault Denver threw a first round pick at him to draft him the second round. However I'm still upset McDaniels was reckless for the guy and he hasn't even played like a good second round corner yet.

I believe in our coaching staff and I especially have faith in Donatello. I also know Smith will work hard and improve. I just don't know how much and if that amount will ever justify where he was taken.

TheDave
03-05-2010, 09:04 PM
"Fan boys"? Aren't we on a FAN forum? WTF?

MY credibility? lol that's funny.

Do we have a dime CB right now? We would be getting a CB from somewhere regardless - it has nothing to do with Smith. If Smith played outstanding last year - we would still be getting a CB.

If your goal is to make the playoffs and compete, you better gear your team up to be ready for who you have a high chance of facing. This is IN THE MINDS of the Broncos.

Nathan Jones is being brought in to compete is what we're probably going to hear, to think that they just wrote of Smith and are going to forget about his development and let Jones take over his position - you, genius, have as much credibility as the world being flat.

Now why don't you go back and browse your gay teen forums. Hilarious!

Yeah, actually we do have a "dime corner"... It's Alphonso Smith. Some of us are unhappy that we pissed away the 14th pick of the draft on a dimeback.

TheDave
03-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah we're going to have to wait and see, but I still see Smith as a future key contributor on the outside. Med's possible theories certainly make sense in principle and while I haven't been a big fan of some of McDaniels moves, I still support the move to get Smith 100%.

See IMO that has been his biggest blunder... (yes I'm still pissed about the cutler thing but I'm slowly getting over it)

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah, actually we do have a "dime corner"... It's Alphonso Smith. Some of us are unhappy that we pissed away the 14th pick of the draft on a dimeback.

That's what I thought - a smart ass remark. I knew you wouldn't be able to actually to think of anything valid. You are what I thought you were - a dumbass.

Gay teen forums for you. :flower:

TheDave
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Really? I'd like to see where there's an official depth chart listed for the 10-11 season.

This is a common trait between all the idiots like you around here - jumping to conclusions and making statements that essentially, aren't true.

That's what I thought - a smart ass remark. I knew you wouldn't be able to actually to think of anything valid. You are what I thought you were - a dumbass.

Gay teen forums for you. :flower:

Idiots like me... gay teen forums... :oyvey:

See, this is the reality of the situation. He was demoted below a retired player and an UDFA just 2 1/2 months ago... now using that recent info and applying it to the current situation suggests that there is a very high probability that he is also behind the guy they just gave $3 mil a year to.

It's really not that tough...

UberBroncoMan
03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
So how about this Nathan Jones guy.

Florida_Bronco
03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Idiots like me... thats cute.

See, this is the reality of the situation. He was demoted below a retired player and an UDFA just 2 1/2 months ago... now using that recent info and applying it to the current situation suggests that there is a very high probability that he is also behind the guy they just gave $3 mil a year to.

Lets remember that the "retired" player you're talking about is Ty Law. Easily one of the best cornerbacks to play the game in recent memory and a reliable starter up until just a couple years ago. He also spent eons in New England and knows their defensive system as well as probably most of the coaches.

gyldenlove
03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm leaning toward McDaniels screwed the pooch with that pick. I don't blame Smith. I liked him in the draft and I like him now. It's not his fault Denver threw a first round pick at him to draft him the second round. However I'm still upset McDaniels was reckless for the guy and he hasn't even played like a good second round corner yet.

I believe in our coaching staff and I especially have faith in Donatello. I also know Smith will work hard and improve. I just don't know how much and if that amount will ever justify where he was taken.

I like the player, didn't like the price we paid for him.

He had a really disappointing rookie season and he has a very long way to come, I am not sure he will be able to overcome the size deficit he has and I do believe that his college stats were inflated by the role and type of coverage he played, but thems the breaks.

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Idiots like me... thats cute.

So what you're saying is - it's OFFICIAL that Smith is listed behind him on the depth chart based on your intuition? Like I said, IDIOTS like you love to make statements that are so far FROM reality.

Reality:

- There is no depth chart right now and there won't be until the players go in and compete. Just like calling Bannan our new starting NT or whatever.

- Smith is EXPECTED to improve.

- Before this signing, we still needed a CB regardless of the performance of our CBs from last year.

Based off the fact that is no depth chart, and there won't be until MONTHS and MONTHS - your statement is just jumping to conclusions making random fantasies about how horrible a situation is.

I refer back to what I said in the earlier post, because you are just THAT stupid.

TheDave
03-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Lets remember that the "retired" player you're talking about is Ty Law. Easily one of the best cornerbacks to play the game in recent memory and a reliable starter up until just a couple years ago. He also spent eons in New England and knows their defensive system as well as probably most of the coaches.

He had been out of the league for more than a year... Stop making excuses for the kid. He sucked... He got benched...

As of now that's the story.

Taco John
03-05-2010, 09:23 PM

Of course it has to do with Alphonso Smith. What in the world sport do you think this is?

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Idiots like me... gay teen forums... :oyvey:

Oh, and if you're talking about Tony Carter, he never surpassed Smith on the chart and when asked that question they were simply splitting time at one point.

Keep making fantasies up and over exaggerating situations in order to prove a point.

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Of course it has to do with Alphonso Smith. What in the world sport do you think this is?

A sport where you need depth at every position?

:spit: here comes another one.

Taco John
03-05-2010, 09:29 PM
A sport where you need depth at every position?

:spit: here comes another one.

How much depth do you imagine we need at nickel back? My goodness man. To say it has NOTHING to do with Alphonso Smith? Laugh it up, but when Alphonso is competing for a job against this guy, it might come clear to you that indeed, this move has a lot to do with Alphonso Smith.

TheDave
03-05-2010, 09:29 PM
So what you're saying is - it's OFFICIAL that Smith is listed behind him on the depth chart based on your intuition? Like I said, IDIOTS like you love to make statements that are so far FROM reality.

Reality:

- There is no depth chart right now and there won't be until the players go in and compete. Just like calling Bannan our new starting NT or whatever.

- Smith is EXPECTED to improve.

- Before this signing, we still needed a CB regardless of the performance of our CBs from last year.

Based off the fact that is no depth chart, and there won't be until MONTHS and MONTHS - your statement is just jumping to conclusions making random fantasies about how horrible a situation is.

I refer back to what I said in the earlier post, because you are just THAT stupid.

Jesus Marry and joseph...

Are you A. Smith's relative? WTF?

To anyone who views this situation from an unbiased perspective it's not good. You can call me stupid all you want, and say I'm "jumping to conclusions". Unfortuantely I'm the only one stating facts..

Again...

He played sparringly and moved down the depth chart until a retired player and an UDFA started over him

We just signed another corner to about $3mil a year.

That's not a good sign to anyone except you...

Florida_Bronco
03-05-2010, 09:33 PM
He had been out of the league for more than a year... Stop making excuses for the kid. He sucked... He got benched...

As of now that's the story.

No he hadn't. Law played for the Jets in 2008.

TheDave
03-05-2010, 09:36 PM
No he hadn't. Law played for the Jets in 2008.

Yeah, your right... he agreed to a contract with them on Nov 10th and played in 6 games.

S

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Jesus marry and joseph...

To anyone who views this situation from an unbiased perspective it's not good. You can call me stupid all you want, and say I'm "jumping to conclusions". Unfortuantely I'm the only one stating facts..

Again...

He played sparringly and moved down the depth chart until a retired player and an UDFA started over him

That's not a good sign to anyone except you...

What FACTS are you stating? Telling ME I'm unbiased? WTF? I haven't made any CONCLUSIONS, how can I be biased? The only thing you're telling are lies and assumptions - which that in itself is BIASED. You're stating things like they're in stone.

There is no depth chart and we're signing Nathan Jones, for fucc sake, he doesn't automatically come in and replace ANYONE.

He was playing behind 2 rookies last year, get WITH reality.

Alphonso NEVER was moved behind Tony Carter in the depth chart all season long. When ASKED, they were splitting time.

Alphonso did not play well last year. Is that what you wanted to hear?

My original statement was, that this has nothing to do with him and about being prepared for the Colts.

Let's forget about Phonz' production.

We would be getting a DB no matter WHAT. We don't have any depth there beyond Phonz. I don't even know what Tony Carter's contract is.

Taco John
03-05-2010, 09:38 PM
What FACTS are you stating? Telling ME I'm unbiased? WTF? I haven't made any CONCLUSIONS, how can I be biased?

uhhhhhh....

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:43 PM
uhhhhhh....

Yeah I wasn't going to doubt someone would quote me - trust me I thought about it when I wrote that statement.

My statement right there has nothing to with being "biased." I didn't say Nathan wouldn't beat him out for a job, I didn't say oh no Phonz career is done, I simply saying that we needed more depth at CB, and that Colts are in mind when we need to make sure we have good playing CB's in order to be successful... at least that's how we attacked them last year.

Anthony Gonzalez will be back - and they still have Wayne, Collie, Clark, Garcon ( I think?)

WolfpackGuy
03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
If you have a Smith 33 jersey, sell it.

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
If you have a Smith 33 jersey, sell it.

I actually took my 80 smith jersey and converted it into a 33 smith jersey because I wanted to represent the better player.

Taco John
03-05-2010, 09:53 PM
I actually took my 80 smith jersey and converted it into a 33 smith jersey because I wanted to represent the better player.

Now you're just being a troll.

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Now you're just being a troll.

What? WTF?

Rod Smith couldn't contribute till his 3rd season talk to me when Phonz gets there, he'll be elite.

LOL Hilarious!

Taco John
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Yeah I wasn't going to doubt someone would quote me - trust me I thought about it when I wrote that statement.

My statement right there has nothing to with being "biased." I didn't say Nathan wouldn't beat him out for a job, I didn't say oh no Phonz career is done, I simply saying that we needed more depth at CB, and that Colts are in mind when we need to make sure we have good playing CB's in order to be successful... at least that's how we attacked them last year.

Anthony Gonzalez will be back - and they still have Wayne, Collie, Clark, Garcon ( I think?)

Look man. When Ty Law was signed, my very next statement was "If I was Jack Williams, I wouldn't take that as a ringing endorsement of my skills from the coaches." Within a week, the guy was cut. I don't think Alphonso is going to be cut anytime soon, but this move isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of his skills.

I can understand. You jumped the gun and said something overly homeristic. That's fine. I don't have a problem with that. But eventually, you're going to have to accept that this move has implications for Alphonso. It's up to him to respond to them.

Taco John
03-05-2010, 09:57 PM
What? WTF?

Rod Smith couldn't contribute till his 3rd season talk to me when Phonz gets there, he'll be elite.

LOL Hilarious!

Rod's first NFL catch in his rookie year was a 43 yard touchdown to win the game.

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Rod's first NFL catch was a 43 yard touchdown to win the game.

Phonz's first NFL defensive passing play was a pass deflection against the Bengals on a 3rd and 3 that eventually led to the most memorable Broncos opening day win.

EDIT
I stand corrected - it was a 3rd and 2 in the fourth quarter.
:thumbsup:

Taco John
03-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Phonz's first NFL defensive passing play was a pass deflection against the Bengals on a 3rd and 3 that eventually led to the most memorable Broncos opening day win.

EDIT
I stand corrected - it was a 3rd and 2.

:thumbsup:

What does that have to do with you being wrong about Rod Smith?

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
What does that have to do with you being wrong about Rod Smith?

I was wrong? All I said was he couldn't contribute <---- that usually means a season long contribution, not just one play(s).

ludo21
03-05-2010, 10:10 PM
why do you guys argue with thick headed people? its a waste of time.

My .02 btw:

Smith was not worth the pick, but now were stuck and Im glad Mcd is taking steps to rectify it

WolfpackGuy
03-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Rod Smith was an undrafted free agent who was expected to do nothing.

A. Smith was a short, slow CB who was mysteriously worth a trade of a first round pick.

Not sure how their situations relate.

Taco John
03-05-2010, 10:13 PM
why do you guys argue with thick headed people? its a waste of time.

My .02 btw:

Smith was not worth the pick, but now were stuck and Im glad Mcd is taking steps to rectify it

You're right.

This is basically what I got out of this move as well. I'm disgusted that we gave up a 14 in this great draft pool. Imagine coming away with Dan Williams and Iupati. But still, on the plus side, it's clear that Josh is willing to make moves to correct - or at least hedge his bets. There's at least something here to be encouraged over.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Rod Smith was an undrafted free agent who was expected to do nothing.

A. Smith was a short, slow CB who was mysteriously worth a trade of a first round pick.

Not sure how their situations relate.

He's been clocked in the 4.3's, so im not sure that's the problem. And its not like he was consistently burned last season, he just didnt play all that much and didnt play amazingly while in. But ill give him another year before i call him the biggest bust of all time.

BigPlayShay
I was wrong? All I said was he couldn't contribute <---- that usually means a season long contribution, not just one play(s).

A better analogy - Trevor Pryce??? Higher selection, but, pretty rough rookie year with a fair amount of expectations.

Rohirrim
I think Josh would admit he ****ed up on the Fonz pick. He came pretty close when he said they weren't as prepared as they should have been and weren't sure what they had. I don't want to think about that 14 pick. He friggin hurts.

strafen
03-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Jesus Marry and joseph...

Again...

That's not a good sign to anyone except you...It's got nothing to do with him being a relative of Alphonso Smith.
They're having a hard time acknowledging McDaniels ****ed-up with this selection and what we had to give up for him.
They don't want anybody to expose McDaniels. They're just defending McDaniels, plain and simple...

WolfpackGuy
03-05-2010, 10:22 PM
He's been clocked in the 4.3's, so im not sure that's the problem. And its not like he was consistently burned last season, he just didnt play all that much and didnt play amazingly while in. But ill give him another year before i call him the biggest bust of all time.

I'm not calling him a bust yet, but I didn't think he was the 37th best player in the 2009 draft.

Especially with needs on the defensive line.

If I'm going to trade away a first round pick, the guy better be able to cover Kelly Washington!

Taco John
03-05-2010, 10:24 PM
We've all had a player we homered on. At least I know I have.

Florida_Bronco
03-05-2010, 10:39 PM
It's got nothing to do with him being a relative of Alphonso Smith.
They're having a hard time acknowledging McDaniels ****ed-up with this selection and what we had to give up for him.
They don't want anybody to expose McDaniels. They're just defending McDaniels, plain and simple...

Except that we don't know if he blew the pick or not.

Sure, his rookie season wasn't terribly encouraging, but he was also behind two very well entrenched starters and someone who is easily the smartest X's and O's poster on this forum has talked about how he was likely out of position last year. Add to the fact that he was banged up during the year and well...there ya go.

We're nowhere close to declaring Smith a bust. Just give the kid some time. 8')

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-05-2010, 10:48 PM
It's got nothing to do with him being a relative of Alphonso Smith.

Oh blah blah ****ing blah. We can't think a player should get more than one year to prove himself; it must be because we're "defending McDaniels."

What a wonderful simple little world you must live in.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Sure, his rookie season wasn't terribly encouraging, but he was also behind two very well entrenched starters and someone who is easily the smartest X's and O's poster on this forum has talked about how he was likely out of position last year. Add to the fact that he was banged up during the year and well...there ya go.

STOP DEFENDING MCDANIELS! Can't you see he blew it and he always blows it and that's just what he does? McDaniels defender! Grr! :strong:

/sarcasm

//rolleyes

Hulamau
03-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Sorry Montorse, but Med is taking a guess at why he sucked last year. Read what he said again...

Now, I'm beyond carring why he sucked... and to be honest it looks like the coaches are too.

Fact is, in t his pass happy league we need a stable of good corners. Not just three. Specially with Champ getting older and a generally older secondary. Wont be surprised if they add another one in the draft as well.

montrose
03-05-2010, 11:01 PM
See IMO that has been his biggest blunder... (yes I'm still pissed about the cutler thing but I'm slowly getting over it)

I've supported more of McDaniels moves than I've disliked but I've disliked many. However, there can be no greater blunder than that of his bye week handling. He could win 10 titles and I will never forgive him for taking a team I think was on the verge of a 12-13 win season and competing for a championship - and sending them home for a week. We never recovered.

I support the Smith move because I believe it was very financially driven. My gut feeling is the Denver Broncos are in the bottom 1/3 of the league of available cash on hand and the team went out and got the guy they (and many others) valued as the best CB in the draft who had a 1st round grade on him without paying him 1st round money.

The blunder, to me, was playing him out of position.

strafen
03-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Rod's first NFL catch in his rookie year was a 43 yard touchdown to win the game.

I was at that game. It was against Washington, no time on the clock, Broncos are trailing...Elway scrambles to his left and throws a 50 yards pass to the corner of the end zone. Touchdown, Broncos win!

strafen
03-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Whether Smith pans out or not, we blew it there, no matter how you look at it.
We've had a chance to pick Rey Maualuga instead of Smith who was not a high priority.

Florida_Bronco
03-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Whether Smith pans out or not, we blew it there, no matter how you look at it.
We've had a chance to pick Rey Maualuga instead of Smith who was not a high priority.

We had two very esteemed linebacker coaches in Nolan and Martindale, so I think it's safe to say that the reason we didn't purpose him is because those two were not high on him. Rey Rey is a great athlete but there are questions about his mental capabilities and smart football players are stressed here. As it is, he was only a 2 down player on a team that runs a 4-3.

And corner was definitely a need for us. Sure we have Bailey and Goodman but they are both over 30 and Smith lets us groom a legit starting prospect.

BigPlayShay
03-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I was at that game. It was against Washington, no time on the clock, Broncos are trailing...Elway scrambles to his left and throws a 50 yards pass to the corner of the end zone. Touchdown, Broncos win!

Actually the game was tied, and it was a seam pass.

strafen
03-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Actually the game was tied, and it was a seam pass.All I remember was sitting on the nrth end of the mile-hi, section 126 looking straight down the the southstand when that happened.
I do remeber being my first witnessed come from behind victory by John Elway.
I'll never forget that...

Drek
03-06-2010, 04:12 AM
You're right.

This is basically what I got out of this move as well. I'm disgusted that we gave up a 14 in this great draft pool. Imagine coming away with Dan Williams and Iupati. But still, on the plus side, it's clear that Josh is willing to make moves to correct - or at least hedge his bets. There's at least something here to be encouraged over.

And if instead we wanted a corner out of this draft? We'd have to use the 14th on Joe Haden to get a CB as good as Alphonso Smith was coming out of college.

We needed a young corner either in the '09 draft or the '10 draft, we couldn't just have Champ, Goodman, and some FA retreads because you never know when one of them is going to permanently fall off an age related cliff.

Smith didn't light the world on fire as a rookie. So what? Mike Jenkins didn't either and in his second year was the Cowboys best CB (yes, better than Terrance Newman, a lot better). Jenkins even got the chance to start at both nickel and on a wing playing man to man and he still sucked in '08.

Some players don't acclimate to the speed and intricacy of the NFL game as fast as others. But Smith has shown all the skills and athletic talents you want out of a corner in this league while in college, and in limited action last year showed something else, a willingness to tackle and take on blockers.

Smith might not be an all world player, but the constant hate on here is just irrational. The Broncos traded a random 1st rounder for a very early 2nd a year in advance. It was fair value. They took a guy everyone thought was worthy of an early second round selection. There's no point crying over spilled milk.

Nathan Jones is here because Smith might not get it. But he's also here because Goodman and/or Champ could get injured, and because you play more than a few teams in this league now who look to put pressure on your secondary with many three and four receiver sets. You need to go 4 deep at CB and we got Jones for a reasonable price.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 04:53 AM
I don't like this signing at all. First this is very deep CB class that we could have draft from. Second this indicates that either A Smith or Carter aren't in the coaches plans next season. Finally the roster continues to get older and older.

BTW - I like A Smith, but he wouldn't have been a 1st in this draft because of his size and measurable. McDaniels and Xanders weren't patience last draft and cost us draft choice twice.

Cito Pelon
03-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Maybe people should look at this signing this way - they're going to give Phonz a chance to compete outside, therefore grabbed a proven NB.

TonyR
03-06-2010, 08:13 AM
And if instead we wanted a corner out of this draft? We'd have to use the 14th on Joe Haden to get a CB as good as Alphonso Smith was coming out of college.

That's a good point, and my understanding is that this draft doesn't have a lot of CB talent.

Right now Smith certainly isn't worth the 14th pick in any draft, and probably never will be. But we do have two aging starters at the position and need to start grooming a youngster or two. I'm certainly not ready to write him off yet.

Paladin
03-06-2010, 08:17 AM
The whole issue regarding Smith is settled. The Broncos made their choices. Its over. Further discussion by the Peanut Gallery is unproductive and leads to just more opinions and unsubstantiated blatherings. The only opinion that counts is the one that represents the Broncos' FO consensus. Smith is a Bronco. Don't like it? Tough shyte.

Time to move on.

titan
03-06-2010, 08:36 AM

I'm supportive of McDaniels but I didn't like the Smith pick from day one. McD admits this year that they are "better prepared" for the 2010 draft than they were last year. Also if the Broncos scouting staff did any kind of homework last year surely they would have known the 2010 draft was deeper than the 2009 draft. Yet they traded a 2010 #1 for a 2009 second rounder? I don't care who they would have picked that was "reckless"

Other teams, like New England, stockpiled 2010 draft picks. I'm hoping McD and staff are smarter with their picks this year, especially if they get an extra pick or two from Marshall leaving.

Rulon Velvet Jones
03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Why is everyone bailing on Smith so soon? Even Jimmy Johnson said the biggest leap players take is between their 1st and 2nd seasons.

Rabb
03-06-2010, 09:41 AM
The whole issue regarding Smith is settled. The Broncos made their choices. Its over. Further discussion by the Peanut Gallery is unproductive and leads to just more opinions and unsubstantiated blatherings. The only opinion that counts is the one that represents the Broncos' FO consensus. Smith is a Bronco. Don't like it? Tough shyte.

Time to move on.

my God yes, rep

oubronco
03-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Time to move on.

Yes and that goes for the Cutler issue as well

Hulamau
03-06-2010, 09:44 AM

With three months to take over the entire team, evaluate each player we had in terms of what he wanted, hiring all the coaches and laying down the entire system and philosophy, Not having his own scouts and coaches in place for 6 months to a year before FA and the draft last year, and thus only having a partial board, in such a scenario a couple reaches were likely.

Smith may still turn out to be a good one for us a long time, but if 4 or 5 guys from last years draft wind up sticking after year 3 that would be doing very good considering the circumstances. I think there a very good chance we get 6 players at least out of the draft.
Morena, Ayers, McBath, Bruton, Olsen and perhaps Smith. Maybe McKinley if he bounces back from the knee and Baker as well.

This year we'll get a better view of Josh/Xanders real capabilities in the talent department.

TheDave
03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
With three months to take over the entire team, evaluate each player we had in terms of what he wanted, hiring all the coaches and laying down the entire system and philosophy, Not having his own scouts and coaches in place for 6 months to a year before FA and the draft last year, and thus only having a partial board, in such a scenario a couple reaches were likely.

Smith may still turn out to be a good one for us a long time, but if 4 or 5 guys from last years draft wind up sticking after year 3 that would be doing very good considering the circumstances. I think there a very good chance we get 6 players at least out of the draft.
Morena, Ayers, McBath, Bruton, Olsen and perhaps Smith. Maybe McKinley if he bounces back from the knee and Baker as well.

This year we'll get a better view of Josh/Xanders real capabilities in the talent department.

Exactly... anyone with some experience in life knows that if you are underpreparred you don't raise the stakes by further leveraging yourself.

Thats the entire point of this blunder. If everything was as poorly prepared as you stated, then the last thing you do is trade off future assets to take a flyer on a player you did not scout as much as you should have.

it was a rash decision and for everyone saying "get over it"... too bad. He traded away the 14th pick in this draft. It's a legitimate discussion topic especially with April fast approaching.

Rabb
03-06-2010, 10:03 AM
how is getting Smith, who was coveted by every expert out there, a rash decision?

I just don't get that, you may not like what we gave for him, but just about every analyst out there said that had Smith gone in this draft he would have gone in the first round

So if he pans out (which we should all wait and see before being dramatic babies about it) then we got first round talent without the hefty price tag

Jesus Christ some of you are short sighted

TheDave
03-06-2010, 10:10 AM
how is getting Smith, who was coveted by every expert out there, a rash decision?

I just don't get that, you may not like what we gave for him, but just about every analyst out there said that had Smith gone in this draft he would have gone in the first round

So if he pans out (which we should all wait and see before being dramatic babies about it) then we got first round talent without the hefty price tag

Jesus Christ some of you are short sighted

He was so coveted by every expert out there... that he was passed over by every team in the league and drafted in the 2nd round in a VERY weak draft.

and as for this draft... Smith would be lucky to be the 5th corner taken. That would make him a mid to low round 2nd.

Some of you folks are so quick to praise everything this FO does that you often let reality slip right past you.

Now for the 10th time in this threead... Could Smith become a player? Yes he still can, unfortunately every sign so far says he is a bust.

Rabb
03-06-2010, 10:13 AM
He was so coveted by every expert out there... that he was passed over by every team in the league and drafted in the 2nd round in a VERY weak draft.

and as for this draft... Smith would be lucky to be the 5th corner taken. That would make him a mid to low round 2nd.

Some of you folks are so quick to praise everything this FO does that you often let reality slip right past you.

Now for the 10th time in this threead... Could Smith become a player? Yes he still can, unfortunately every sign so far says he is a bust.

don't label me as a FO fanboy please, because that's not remotely close to the truth, I am very objective

I guess we just have to wait and see, it's pointless to debate this any further so I won't...just like Cutler and soon to be Marshall we won't ever agree

s0phr0syne
03-06-2010, 11:49 AM
don't label me as a FO fanboy please, because that's not remotely close to the truth, I am very objective

I guess we just have to wait and see, it's pointless to debate this any further so I won't...just like Cutler and soon to be Marshall we won't ever agree

This is funny anytime ANYONE says it, not just you. Myself included.

Play2win
03-06-2010, 12:12 PM
So, its the people that DON'T jump to conclusions, that are the fanboys...

First time I have ever heard that.

Br0nc0Buster
03-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I thought Smith looked good in camp and preseason
Didnt do **** after that though

I liked him in college, didnt like the pick though, but there is still plenty of time left before I start labeling the bust status on him

He is supposed to be a very instinctive player whose intelligence makes up for his lack of size and elite speed
It is kind of hard to play your game if it is based on knowing what the other player is going to do when you are having to learn everything for the first time all over again

Smith was not a stud in college because of his physical skills, so I am going to give him plenty of time to get the mental skills sharpened up before judging one way or the other

I do like the Jones signing though, have only heard positive things from phins fans

Paladin
03-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I am a Broncos' fan. I am not objective about that. But convoluted whining and moaning backed up by unsubstantiated crapola and bulljuice, with a misplaced sense of entitlement, produce arguments with which I have very little patience. It is like a kid who is angry about not getting a bike for Christmas 6 years ago. Really, really, really silly, bordering on the stupid so close that they are bed partners.....

The leifmotif of some people is to be annoying. There are several around here who are really good at living that motif........

Rabb
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
This is funny anytime ANYONE says it, not just you. Myself included.

I hear ya'

I am just saying, I truly don't have any "allegiance" here other than being a fan of the team

in other words, no matter what move is made I don't go into it with some pro or anti anyone pre-thought like it seems a lot of people do

it's amazing to me the number of fans that actually seem like they want a certain part of the team that they are fans of to fail to prove a point or feel better about something they've said

anyhow, back on topic...I think the Jones signing is a good one for us, and will make camp interesting and competetive

DBroncos4life
03-06-2010, 01:43 PM
That's a good point, and my understanding is that this draft doesn't have a lot of CB talent.

Right now Smith certainly isn't worth the 14th pick in any draft, and probably never will be. But we do have two aging starters at the position and need to start grooming a youngster or two. I'm certainly not ready to write him off yet.

I don't know where you got that at. Med believes that there are 7 CB's with first round grades.....

Just finished grading the DB's in this draft. As much as I like the DT's and OLB/DE's, the CB's are just as deep. I have 7 CB's with First round grades, and 5 of those can be legit #1 CB's. Of the next 5 or so CB's, a bunch really have better FS potential than CB potential at this point, but really could develop over time into solid #2 CB's. That is easily the highest amount of starting grade CB's I have seen coming out since 2005. And then, there were many more #2 CB grades than the true ability top be #1 CB's.

This draft just keeps getting deeper on the defensive side of the ball. Now, I am going back to start deepre into the offensive players. Going to start with the WR's since I just watched a bunch of them going against the DB's and they are still fresh in my mind.

chaz
03-06-2010, 04:19 PM
So how about this Nathan Jones guy.

Who? :hitself:

DBroncos4life
08-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Bump :rofl:

Kaylore
08-11-2011, 10:15 PM
:bomb:

LetsGoBroncos
08-11-2011, 10:19 PM
First thing that came to my mind when Dallas got the two point conversion was "it was worth it if Nate Jones gets cut."

Agamemnon
08-12-2011, 01:18 AM
I know McD is stupid but how did he ever think that Nate Jones was better than Alphonso Smith? Smith had some dumb really plays but you could see potential. Nate Jones is pure garbage with absolutely no upside.

srphoenix
08-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Honestly the qb situation is a non-story compared to how Jones looked. He single handedly gave them 16 points. Dude played the worst game of any Bronco I've every seen.

WolfpackGuy
08-12-2011, 06:03 AM
WTF is he still on the team?

Bad things have happened so many times around him that you can't just chalk it up to coincidence...

INbronco
08-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Led the team with 6 tackles? WTF happened here?

Drek
08-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Led the team with 6 tackles? WTF happened here?

Why wouldn't he? Stephen McGee completed all of his passes on Jones. Those six tackles were just the times he didn't give up a touchdown despite giving up a catch.

DBroncos4life
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
What is he making this year 4 mill? Just think of who we could have signed with that money.

theAPAOps5
08-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Looking for the first cut list to have a certain number 33 on it. JohnJohnBrian DO IT!

srphoenix
08-12-2011, 10:36 AM
I can't figure out how in all the game recaps that I've read today not one person has seen what all of us on the mane saw about Nate Jones. It was honestly the worst performance I've ever seen out of a cornerback. I don't think its even exaggeration to say that I could've gone out there and did a similar job and you wouldn't have to pay me a dime to do it.

I really really really hope they cut Jones, especially when we have some pretty good potential sitting behind him.

alkemical
08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm in no condition to drive...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!"

broncosteven
08-12-2011, 12:01 PM
I know McD is stupid but how did he ever think that Nate Jones was better than Alphonso Smith? Smith had some dumb really plays but you could see potential. Nate Jones is pure garbage with absolutely no upside.

Remember mCd signing Ty Law and playing him over Smith after trading up to get him!

EPIC mCd move.

Drek
08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
What is he making this year 4 mill? Just think of who we could have signed with that money.

Almost none of his 4 year deal was guaranteed, he should be an easy cut.

This is one time where Bowlen should go cheap. We don't need a $3.5M a year nickel corner who can't cover 3rd stringers.

crush17
08-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Holy crap he is terrible.

bronco militia
08-12-2011, 01:55 PM

no

The contract numbers are in on Broncos’ new nickelback Nathan Jones. Although there were reports his four-year contract can top out at $13.6 million, max money in football contracts — which includes unlikely, if not impossible-to-reach incentives — is a long way from real dollars.

Jones’ total deal is really worth $4.33 million. His $1 million signing bonus and $630,000 salary in 2010 guaranteed.

Jones, 27, also has non-guaranteed base salaries of $800,000 in 2011; $900,00 in 2012 and $1 million in 2012. Still big money for a nickelback/special teams’ standout that was negotiated by Jones’ agent Everette Scott

DomCasual
08-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Honestly the qb situation is a non-story compared to how Jones looked. He single handedly gave them 16 points. Dude played the worst game of any Bronco I've every seen.

How do you figure?

srphoenix
08-16-2011, 10:11 AM
PostBroncos (http://twitter.com/#%21/PostBroncos) Lindsay Jones

Perrish Cox has replaced Nate Jones at second-team right cornerback.

thank God, I never want to see Nate Jones play another snap in a Bronco uniform if at all possible,
and yes in the preseason game he was the guy who blew the coverage of two of the cowboy touchdowns and the 2 point conversion they made so I guess he only gave them 14 points.

BroncoInferno
08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Is Nate Jones a particularly good special teamer? That would be the only justification for him still being on the roster.