PDA

View Full Version : Justin Bannon a Bronco

Traveler
03-05-2010, 04:53 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/03/05/broncos-bannan-agree-on-5-year-deal/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+dp-blogs-broncos+(Denver+Post:+Sports:+Broncos:+Blog

Dagmar
03-05-2010, 04:54 PM
The monetary value was not yet available but it reflects that the Broncos are counting on Bannan to start. Although he has played both the 5-technique and nose tackle position in the 3-4 system, Bannan, 30, is expected to become the Broncos’ new starting nose tackle.

So no Dan Williams at 11?

Dukes
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Any D-line help is a good thing.

Rohirrim
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM
That is excellent! Welcome home, Justin. Well, at least to your Buff home.

extralife
03-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Baltimore seems to leak back up dliners every year. is this guy any good?

BlaK-Argentina
03-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Don't know anything about him but like Dukes said, any help at the lines is appreciated.

lookin' glass
03-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Starting NT? How big is he? I thought coming out of college he was a 4-3 end.

TheDave
Good pick up... He'll challenge McBean and Peterson for PT

Br0nc0Buster
So no Dan Williams at 11?

nah if they like Williams then they will still take him
I believe both Williams and Bannon can play both nose and end

Dagmar
Bannan visiting Broncos, Edwards could be next

Two Ravens defensive linemen could be headed to the Denver Broncos.
Backup defensive tackle Justin Bannan is visiting Denver on Friday, and starting defensive end Dwan Edwards is arranging a meeting there, a league source confirmed.
It would be a homecoming of sorts for Bannan, who attended the University of Colorado. The Ravens have been extremely pleased with Bannan, but they are expected to go younger at defensive tackle.
Edwards replaced Trevor Pryce as a starter at the midway point of last season.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/03/bannan_visiting_broncos_edwards_could_be_next.html

Play2win
03-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Now go sign Jamal Williams, and draft Dan Williams... :thumbsup:

WolfpackGuy

6'3" - 311 lbs

Maybe a rotational, passing down guy?

Not exactly a blocker eater.

KevinJames

hes 310 hes played the 5 and nose in Baltimore, good player

good pick up for us

Dagmar
http://i49.tinypic.com/yc5g9.png

Br0nc0Buster
I like this
We need to address the trenches
McD is going after them early and often

Rohirrim
03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Justin is only 310. That's a little light for the nose. He's got the perfect size for a DE in a 3/4 and he's an excellent run stopper and line stuffer.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Good pick up. And no, this does not effect what we do in the draft AT ALL. Rotational nose guy, filled in nicely for Gregg last season

Rabb
03-05-2010, 05:02 PM
him and Dwan Edwards would be fantastic

bap454
03-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Edwards started over Trevor Pryce?? Was Pryce hurt or did he just get outplayed?

Paladin
03-05-2010, 05:05 PM
If Edwards is signed, I would see the DE position and even the NT position being rotated depending upon the Oline being played.

I would think getting Williams would just cap the Dline for some time.......

TheDave
03-05-2010, 05:06 PM
him and Dwan Edwards would be fantastic
Absolutely... Add in Dan Williams and our Dline is night and day better than it was.

gyldenlove
03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Depending on the money this is an excellent signing, in 2008 Bannan played the NT in Baltimore all season because of Kelly Greggs injury, he can play DE or NT and is a solid character. This signing is great.

montrose
03-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Good DE but I'd rather get Edwards (or in this case both!). A nice signing, easily our best DE right now.

oubronco
03-05-2010, 05:09 PM
I smell a offensive player at #11

Killericon
03-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Yesssssss.

Traveler
03-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Wasn't it Bannon that had a career day against us when we played the Ravens?

KevinJames
03-05-2010, 05:12 PM
2010 Starting DL

DE Dwan Edwards NT Chris Baker DE Justin Bannan

elsid13
03-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Depending on the money this is an excellent signing, in 2008 Bannan played the NT in Baltimore all season because of Kelly Greggs injury, he can play DE or NT and is a solid character. This signing is great.

Bannon didn't play NT in Baltimore. The bumped Ngata inside to play there, when Gregg got hurt. But because Baltimore plays some very unique fronts he would at times shifted inside when they put Suggs hand on the ground.

He is a solid player that will help the line, but he isn't a difference maker.

Br0nc0Buster
03-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I really hope we can land Edwards
He would be our best lineman

Bannon is good though, and versatile
can play both nose and end
good signing

hopefully Josh can recreate the FA magic like last year

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-05-2010, 05:14 PM
love this move. Awesome that we nailed him down.

He's not "special," but will play a significant role on the defense.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Please enlighten us to the reason why signing a rotational DL player ensures that we are going offense with the first pick in the draft?

crush17
03-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Very stoked on this.

Drek
03-05-2010, 05:25 PM

More like BPA at #11.

Rohirrim
03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
BTW, it's Bannan. ;D

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
I like this signing, they're sticking to what they said they'd do and that's address the lines.

I like McDaniel's approach, he's requiring guys to be in full football condition/form (with his mandatory physical tests) and training them hard. During the season - he's allowing players to be rotated throughout the drives and game to keep everyone in good shape and condition as the season wears on.

The RB backfield and the defensive line are always in rotation because you want these guys to be fresh.

With that said, Bannan will probably be added to the rotation. Hopefully we can get Edwards too...

When you're getting a Raven defensive player you know you're getting some physical talent.

Caveat Lector
03-05-2010, 05:40 PM

The entire Ravens defensive front had career days when we played them last year.

Bannan will fit nicely in the rotation. Not sure if he's going to be much of an upgrade on Ronny Fields...

barryr
03-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Very good signing and like mentioned by others, won't really change what the Broncos do in the draft.

WolfpackGuy
03-05-2010, 05:45 PM
He should be a good depth-rotation pickup, but I wouldn't expect him to dominate.

Most Ravens defenders who leave usually don't do as well without Lewis, Reed, etc around them.

Jelly Dalton and Keith Washington ring a bell?

The MVPlaya
03-05-2010, 05:48 PM
He should be a good depth-rotation pickup, but I wouldn't expect him to dominate.

Most Ravens defenders who leave usually don't do as well without Lewis, Reed, etc around them.

Jelly Dalton and Keith Washington ring a bell?

Keith Washington didn't do anything with the Ravens to begin with, WTF?

s0phr0syne
03-05-2010, 05:57 PM

You might be thinking of Jarret Johnson, the other white dude. He totally dominated against the Broncos.

barryr
03-05-2010, 05:58 PM

True, neither did much with the Ravens even with that help.

WolfpackGuy
03-05-2010, 06:01 PM

I was trying to keep it Broncos themed.

Sadly, it didn't stop Shanahan from lavishing big deals on them though.

Adalius Thomas, Gary Baxter, Ed Hartwell, Jamie Sharper, et al would be better examples.

Mediator12
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Bannan and Edwards are both better than anyone on DEN's current roster. What is really good is their scheme versatility. They are both solid mentally and make very few mistakes. Edwards got time over Pryce because he was more reliable last year.

BTW, Bannan and Ngata both filled in for Kelly Gregg in '08 elsid. BAL actually rotated their fronts more without Gregg. They wanted to keep Ngata Free from having to protect Lewis and allow him to make plays. Bannan did more dirty work in 2008, in 2009 he was just very solid all around.

The Joker
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Very nice signing.

Hoping he'll play DE, we really need to get better there and this guy fits the bill.

Bring in Edwards and FA and I'll be very pleased, hopefully he and Bannon are buddies ala Goodman and Hill.

meangene
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Vic Lombardi called the signing of Bannan the best value of the day and said he would start at NT. FWIW.

elsid13
03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Bannan and Edwards are both better than anyone on DEN's current roster. What is really good is their scheme versatility. They are both solid mentally and make very few mistakes. Edwards got time over Pryce because he was more reliable last year.

BTW, Bannan and Ngata both filled in for Kelly Gregg in '08 elsid. BAL actually rotated their fronts more without Gregg. They wanted to keep Ngata Free from having to protect Lewis and allow him to make plays. Bannan did more dirty work in 2008, in 2009 he was just very solid all around.

Med

I see a lot Baltimore being in the market and I have hard time calling Bannon play in 08 as traditional NT role, just because the unique way they play defense there. They shift roles and responsibilities around so much even though Bannon might have been in NT spot, I would argue he was playing 1 techinque rather then 0 techinque they played with Gregg. Either way Bannon is solid player but let's not pin any hope on him being difference maker for us.

Traveler
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
You might be thinking of Jarret Johnson, the other white dude. He totally dominated against the Broncos.

That's who I was thinking about. Thanks!

Bigdawg26
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Other raven players might not be as good as in Baltimore, but that can't be any worst then what we have now! I say bring them in for the right price and see what happens!

Br0nc0Buster
03-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Bannon is a good start
Hopefully we can also get Edwards and Hadnot also
That would be 3 better starters right there

KipCorrington25
03-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Good pick up, first post I haven't pissed and moaned in for a while. !Booya!

SouthStndJunkie
03-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Solid and versatile signing.

Hogan11
03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Solid and versatile signing.

Absolutely.

Mediator12
03-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Med

I see a lot Baltimore being in the market and I have hard time calling Bannon play in 08 as traditional NT role, just because the unique way they play defense there. They shift roles and responsibilities around so much even though Bannon might have been in NT spot, I would argue he was playing 1 techinque rather then 0 techinque they played with Gregg. Either way Bannon is solid player but let's not pin any hope on him being difference maker for us.

That's exactly what I was saying. They redid their whole Fronts in 2008 without Gregg, but when they did play a zero technique they used Bannan for the most part and keeping Ngata free to hopefully get a one on one assignment without having to get doubled.

What I would disagree with is that at least Bannon is an average starter level player. He is DEN's only one right now. Edwards would be 2. That is where you start to build the DL. He is NOT the one Elite player they still need on the DL, but if they get one he will be able to hold up down the stretch.

SouthStndJunkie
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I'd still like to bring back Vonnie Holliday.

elsid13
03-05-2010, 07:07 PM
That's exactly what I was saying. They redid their whole Fronts in 2008 without Gregg, but when they did play a zero technique they used Bannan for the most part and keeping Ngata free to hopefully get a one on one assignment without having to get doubled.

What I would disagree with is that at least Bannon is an average starter level player. He is DEN's only one right now. Edwards would be 2. That is where you start to build the DL. He is NOT the one Elite player they still need on the DL, but if they get one he will be able to hold up down the stretch.

I think we are on the same page. My only concern is his age. I think this team is getting to old to fast.

GoBroncos84
03-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd still like to bring back Vonnie Holliday.

As would I. Bring back Holliday, add Dwan Edwards with Bannan, then add a NT and 5 technique capable end in the draft. Definitely would be a step in the right direction

Ziggy
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Bannan is a difference maker, just not against the pass. He's a very good run stuffer with a non stop motor. That's exactly what this defense needed to begin with. My guess is that he starts at DE and sees time at NT also.

Mediator12
03-05-2010, 07:21 PM
I think we are on the same page. My only concern is his age. I think this team is getting to old to fast.

Yeah, there is old, and there is old. Bannan is definitely not a spring chicken, but he is good enough for 3 seasons as he has little wear and tear to date.

I am sorry Blue, but this is definitely a NE type team now. Getting solid Veterans who will play team ball and hopefully drafting some stud DL soon. Josh is really going the NE route of franchise building.

UberBroncoMan
03-05-2010, 07:23 PM
As would I. Bring back Holliday, add Dwan Edwards with Bannan, then add a NT and 5 technique capable end in the draft. Definitely would be a step in the right direction

We better bring him back. He was great for us last year both as a player and a tutor. That FF on Tom Brady in the Patriot game may have been a winner for us.

Dedhed
03-05-2010, 07:37 PM

When you're transitioning to new systems on both side of the ball,you HAVE to get players who can run those systems. Even if you only get a year or two out of them.

Otherwise you're trying to start 8-10 rookies and guaranteeing a 4-12 season or worse.

gyldenlove
03-05-2010, 07:46 PM

I prefer old to bad, you can win with old.

orinjkrush
03-05-2010, 07:49 PM
the other thing is, i love taking from Baltimore, Indy, SD and NE to get better, at their expense. you have to get better FASTER than the competition.

DBroncos4life
03-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Ravens fans are worried about losing both Edwards and Bannon. What's going on with Marques Douglas? I thought he was a FA this year too. I think he would be a huge get even if he plays on Bannon's side.

Kaylore
03-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Excellent signing! Not terribly costly and a clear upgrade over our existing front seven. A few more pieces and a nice draft and we'll be a much better team on defense - especially with wink at the helm.

montrose
03-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Excellent signing! Not terribly costly and a clear upgrade over our existing front seven. A few more pieces and a nice draft and we'll be a much better team on defense - especially with wink at the helm.

So you think Martindale will be an upgrade over Nolan at DC? (I do, but just want to see if you agree)

Kaylore
03-05-2010, 09:01 PM
So you think Martindale will be an upgrade over Nolan at DC? (I do, but just want to see if you agree)

Yeah. We've talked about this before. I remember your thread where we discussed Nolan's "I-don't-blitz-and-prefer-to-make-each-man-beat-his-man-with-technique-and-smarts-rather-than-blitz" approach. Frankly I prefer aggressive defenses especially when you have a smart, disciplined, veteran secondary like ours. Lean on them a bit and bring the heat!

I also find it frustrating when Nolan's normal MO isn't working he won't start bringing more guys like he should almost out of principle. I think the two things that hurt us on defense and everywhere last year was we weren't aggressive enough in our play calling and we were physically undersized on both lines.

ColoradoBuff
03-05-2010, 10:19 PM
great signing. welcome back to Colorado Justin!

bpc
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Always happy to bring back a quality CU guy. I approve of this signing. We've only scratched the surface on what we need to do though.

Hulamau
03-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Absolutely... Add in Dan Williams and our Dline is night and day better than it was.

That would be the Bees knees for sure. Also, Baker should be coming into his own a bit this year, McBath was pretty good last year and sure to improve his second full starting year as well, Peterson will do better too when he is more in the rotation and not having to carry the whole load on one side all season long.

We pull all this off, we've just majorly upgraded and solidified one of two serious weak spots. If we can land Hadnot and Pasho too on the O-line we can focus more on skill players in the draft, WR, QB, LB, Safety, corner, and a few back ups spread over both lines. Kuper is going to be there and Olsen wil lbe ready to play solid guard as well. Pasho is insurance at tackle too for Harris and his toe(s) injury.

I like the looks of this so far. Still a ways to go yet.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Yeah, there is old, and there is old. Bannan is definitely not a spring chicken, but he is good enough for 3 seasons as he has little wear and tear to date.

I am sorry Blue, but this is definitely a NE type team now. Getting solid Veterans who will play team ball and hopefully drafting some stud DL soon. Josh is really going the NE route of franchise building.

I just keep on thinking that Newsome and Baltimore staff is pretty darn smart when comes to defense players and usually are spot on when comes to letting players walk that aren't special.

Ray Finkle
03-06-2010, 05:24 AM
I just keep on thinking that Newsome and Baltimore staff is pretty darn smart when comes to defense players and usually are spot on when comes to letting players walk that aren't special.

they did let Holmes go....they are due for another miss....

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 05:48 AM

Baltimore is a final 8 team. If they have some UFA targets, they have to let a player or 2 walk before they can get them.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Baltimore is a final 8 team. If they have some UFA targets, they have to let a player or 2 walk before they can get them.

Just proving my point. That Baltimore has idea on a couple of guys that would help their team more then the two players.

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Just proving my point. That Baltimore has idea on a couple of guys that would help their team more then the two players.

You could be right. The difference between Baltimore and the Broncos is that they have a ton of depth on defense, among other things. They have one of the best GM's in the business and he knows how to draft well. Hopefully the Broncos will be in the same position in a year or 2, but for right now, thier depth at DE is more talented than our starters. I'll take what we can get from Ozzie.

The Joker
03-06-2010, 06:28 AM
It's a sad state of affairs, but the same D-Line guys the Ravens coaching staff can look at and say "We can manage without him" are guys Denver has to look at and say "Good God he is fabulous!!"

Bannon will be a solid starter. Not a game changer by any means, but a step up from some of the guys we trotted out there last year.

Dwan Edwards would be even better, if we sign him and bring back Vonnie Holliday our defensive line will be nearing some semblance of respectability for the first time in years.

Ziggy
03-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Seattle hosts trio of free agents, including Dwan Edwards (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/seattle-hosts-trio-of-free-agents-including-dwan-edwards/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 6, 2010 8:30 AM ET
The Broncos hoped to host Ravens defensive end Dwan Edwards Friday, but his trip got diverted Northwest at some point.

Edwards spent the day in Seattle (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2011268864_hawk06.html), near where he went to college at Oregon State. Edwards played defensive end in Baltimore, but he would be a tackle in Seattle. He's one of the few decent young linemen available. (His teammate, Justin Bannan, already signed in Denver (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/bannan-broncos-agree-to-five-year-deal/).)

Other players scheduled to visit Seattle according to the Seattle Times include Panthers defensive end Tyler Brayton and Broncos guard Ben Hamilton.

Maybe Hamilton and Brandon Marshall can carpool (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/seahawks-strongly-considering-a-move-for-marshall/) Saturday.

Hopefully Bannan is on the phone with Edwards telling him to come to Denver to visit before he signs anything in Seattle.

Mediator12
03-06-2010, 08:15 AM

The difference is HOW they are improving their team. They have Defensive depth in the front seven unlike most teams. They need Help elsewhere, where they have no depth. Their secondary is decimated at CB, WR is non-existent, and TE is really sketchy. So, theyhave to let some of their Depth go to get better.

TonyR
03-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Now you're complaining just to complain. Extrapolating your glass-half-empty theory further no team should ever sign FA's because why would a team let a good player go? Come on, it's about improving the team whether it's upgrading a starter or adding quality depth. Bannan himself isn't going to propel this team to greatness but a bunch of Bannan level improvements are going to really improve this football team. You can't have All Pros at every position.

elsid13
03-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Now you're complaining just to complain. Extrapolating your glass-half-empty theory further no team should ever sign FA's because why would a team let a good player go? Come on, it's about improving the team whether it's upgrading a starter or adding quality depth. Bannan himself isn't going to propel this team to greatness but a bunch of Bannan level improvements are going to really improve this football team. You can't have All Pros at every position.

Pay attention to the thread, you will notice that I stated that he solid player and improvement of what Denver started last season at DE. BUT, I also am seriously concern about age of this team and unlike some on this thread ain't going to get overjoyed for bringing a guy on good team is rotational depth. Beside how many players have actually left that system and really had impact for their next team?

oubronco
03-06-2010, 08:39 AM

I think he's saying more like: McD is signing marginal backup players so he doesn't have to pay elite player money the problem is when you sign marginal players you get marginal talent

The Joker
03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
I think he's saying more like: McD is signing marginal backup players so he doesn't have to pay elite player money the problem is when you sign marginal players you get marginal talent

There aren't any elite DE's out there in FA though.

If Richard Seymour was an UFA I'd bet the Broncos would be all over trying to bring him in.

"Marginal talent" is a step up from some of the "no talent whatsoever" players we featured at DE last year, I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this move.

oubronco
03-06-2010, 08:45 AM
There aren't any elite DE's out there in FA though.

If Richard Seymour was an UFA I'd bet the Broncos would be all over trying to bring him in.

"Marginal talent" is a step up from some of the "no talent whatsoever" players we featured at DE last year, I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this move.

don't get me wrong I like the signing

TonyR
03-06-2010, 08:50 AM
...unlike some on this thread ain't going to get overjoyed for bringing a guy on good team is rotational depth.

Who's "overjoyed"? I think most are happy with an upgrade in an area of need. Why the need to put any negative spin on it? Stop worrying about what former Ravens have done elsewhere and focus on what Bannan may or may not mean to the Broncos.

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
If the contract is not over the top, Bannon is a good signing for the Broncos

Mediator12
03-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I think you have to be very happy with the signing. Bannan is not a playmaker, but he is also not fill in trash like what DEN started last year. He is a solid starter caliber player with a little age on him. Just like several of the very successful players they brought in last year to overhaul the team. The Andra Davis, Goodman, and Hill type of player this team needs on Defense. Not a pro-bowl player that everyone WANTS, but just the type of role player the team needs in its scheme transition.

That defense did a lot of overcoming last year, but its achilles heel was a weak ass DL down the stretch again for like the last forever in DEN. Bannan is a solid guy to add to the poor level of DL this team has. He can make a difference in two spots and he is a team player. He is not the final piece of the puzzle, but he does make this defense more talented at a key area of need.

Tombstone RJ
03-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Bannon, whether you like him or not, also gives McD the opportunity to not have to draft a DT/NT in the first round. In other words, they don't have to force a pick in order to fill a need.

GoBroncos84
03-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Grade 75

Expert's Take
Bannan is a big, strong hardnosed interior defender who understands pad level and how to restrict running lanes. Bannan plays low and can handle the double-team, but isn't particularly explosive off the line of scrimmage. He has limited lateral agility and range outside the tackle box, but is tough to move at the point of attack. Bannan has an average pass-rush package and will need to continue to develop in this area. Justin was able to secure starts in 15 weeks in 2008 (due to injures) but was back to his back up roll in 2009 where he fits best in the Ravens' defense.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=3667

ZONA
03-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Bannan is a difference maker, just not against the pass. He's a very good run stuffer with a non stop motor. That's exactly what this defense needed to begin with. My guess is that he starts at DE and sees time at NT also.

agreed

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2010, 02:40 AM
I like this
We need to address the trenches
McD is going after them early and often

another thing I am really liking he isn't going for these guys commanding 30 million guaranteed. he is bringing in solid football players who are good at their jobs and aren't costing huge amounts of cash so that we can continue on in FA bringing in upgrades to the team

chrisp
03-07-2010, 02:48 AM
another thing I am really liking he isn't going for these guys commanding 30 million guaranteed. he is bringing in solid football players who are good at their jobs and aren't costing huge amounts of cash so that we can continue on in FA bringing in upgrades to the team

Absolutely. People here seem to think that the key to competitiveness is getting top-tier talent, but I disagree. We sent 5 players to the pro bowl this year, but we had too many gaps where the starters and backups weren't up to it and by the end of the season those weaknesses were mercilessly exploited. What we actually need is to upgrade the overall quality of the squad and the depth so that we have no obvious weaknesses - then we can let the stars do their thing.

In this league, if you have any weaknesses you will get killed. Top-tier talent can make you strong in a particular area, but you can't get top-tier talent at every position, so you have to be able to be solid throughout the rest of the roster...