PDA

View Full Version : Leon Washington tendered a 2nd

broncosteven
03-04-2010, 12:55 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/New-York-Jets-place-second-round-tender-on-RB-Leon-Washington-030310

Two days after announcing they would release Thomas Jones later this week, the Jets placed a second-round tender on restricted free agent running back-kick returner Leon Washington, according to his agent.

Alvin Keels announced the move on his Twitter page Wednesday, making Washington a potentially attractive free agent despite the fact he's recovering from a broken right leg that sidelined him for the last nine games of the regular season.

The Jets declined comment on the move.

The second-round tender is a one-year deal worth $1.759 million, which gives the Jets the right of first refusal. But it means a team would have to give up only a second-round pick if they sign him to an offer sheet that New York doesn't match.

"I expect there to be a market for Leon during Free Agency and would say his return to the Jets will be 50-50 at best at this point," Keels tweeted.

Washington made the Pro Bowl as a kick returner after the 2008 season and was a speedy, shifty complement to Jones. He sustained a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula at Oakland in Week 7 last year. Washington had surgery, in which a rod was inserted into the tibia, and was given a timetable of six to 12 months to heal.

In January, Washington said doctors told him he was two months ahead of a normal recovery -- something Keels reiterated Wednesday.

More at the link above.

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Let me throw out a preemptive "no way in hell".

broncosteven
03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Not for a second. But it would be nice to have a Kick returner. I wonder if they use Eddy more returning punts this year.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-04-2010, 01:05 PM
We have wasted 2nd rounders in much worse ways... might as well try using one on a proven dynamic playmaker with actual NFL production on his resume. It's a wild theory...

jhns
03-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I would never give him the kind of contract it would take to get him just so he can be a return man. I would rather get Jones. I don't think we need any skill position players this offseason though. Even if we did, it would be a #1 receiver if Marshall goes. This guy doesn't fit the bill.

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2010, 01:17 PM
We have wasted 2nd rounders in much worse ways... might as well try using one on a proven dynamic playmaker with actual NFL production on his resume. It's a wild theory...

Let's see how dynamic he is at 28 yrs old, coming off a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula. For what it's worth, one of my best buddies is an absolute die hard Jets fan and he's praying they get a 2nd rounder this year for him.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Let's see how dynamic he is at 28 yrs old, coming off a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula. For what it's worth, one of my best buddies is an absolute die hard Jets fan and he's praying they get a 2nd rounder this year for him.

An open tibia fracture is news to me. Everything I've read to this point said fibula only. Open fracture, but fibula and not tibia. Amirite?

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
An open tibia fracture is news to me. Everything I've read to this point said fibula only. Open fracture, but fibula and not tibia. Amirite?

Washington suffered compound breaks of the right tibia and fibula, and underwent surgery at the Alta Bates Hospital in Berkeley, Calif., to insert a rod in the tibia to stabilize the bone. The fibula is expected to heal on its own.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/10/ny_jets_running_back_leon_wash_1.html

KevinJames
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Hes a good runner between the tackles lets not just appoint him as a kick returner, he would be a nice change of pace guy for Moreno.

but I don't know about giving up a 2nd.