Garcia Bronco
03-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Rolando McClain.

no-pseudo-fan
03-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Rolando McClain

MagicHef
03-04-2010, 09:57 AM
After McClain's lackluster (putting it nicely) combine, I think I'd say Williams.

strafen
03-04-2010, 10:00 AM
We need a NT, and we need it bad!
A dominant NT like Dan Williams to anchor the line, will help the outside linemen and LBs do a much better job.
Getting a linebacker like McClain will help, but remember the guy had some studs in front playing at Alabama that made his job much easier.

Mediator12
03-04-2010, 10:03 AM
After McClain's lackluster (putting it nicely) combine, I think I'd say Williams.

Not sure I understand, McClain was a DNP...

That being said, Vote Dan Williams ;D

ColoradoBuff
03-04-2010, 10:07 AM
tough choice! but i'd give a slight edge to McClain!

Triplelefthook
03-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Dan Williams please! Just think he can learn behind Fields for a year then the year after Fields could be one of the better backup NT's in the league and we will have great depth at the most important position in a 3-4!

s0phr0syne
03-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Man, Med's eval of McClain has really put a downer on my love for him, but I still think he's a very good football player. I still think that he could learn a lot from Davis and give him a run for his money as a starter this year. There seems to be some other NT talents that could be had later in this draft whereas McClain is the undisputed best ILB in this draft (albeit, a weak ILB class). He's gon' be a player, I hope.

yerner
03-04-2010, 10:09 AM
First year DT's never do much. Plus, Rolando has a much better name.

MagicHef
03-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Not sure I understand, McClain was a DNP...

That being said, Vote Dan Williams ;D

After rumors of him not wanting to expose exactly how slow he is, he suddenly had a hamstring injury that prevented him from performing. Almost like someone else, last year, from the same school.

Taco John
03-04-2010, 10:13 AM
It looks as though we have our answer.

peacepipe
03-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Getting picked that high dan williams will be on the field more than ronald fields. He isn't a QB.

NFLBRONCO
03-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I picked McClain but, I'd be cool with Williams if we move down a bit 11 is too high.

TheDave
03-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Question is... Does Dan Williams last until #11?

strafen
03-04-2010, 10:16 AM
First year DT's never do much. Plus, Rolando has a much better name.That's why we should've gooten one last year when we had the chance.

MCClain is a solid player, no doubt.
Our priority is at the line for a much better all around defense.
McClain can bring a good game and I loved to have him, but the addition of a NT will improve our defense overall...
That's just my opinion...

Br0nc0Buster
03-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I dont really like taking inside linebackers that high unless they have elite talent

I dont think McClain has elite talent
I would prefer Williams over McClain if those were the two options

peacepipe
03-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I picked McClain but, I'd be cool with Williams if we move down a bit 11 is too high.

Dan williams is going to be a top 15 pick,maybe even a top 10 considering the need there is for NTs.

Doggcow
03-04-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd rather we went other ways...

Baluga/Iupati/Haden(likely to fall with his slow 40 time)/ Taylor Mays

I'm not super impressed with Dan Williams. If I HAD to choose one of the two it would be McClain.

SonOfLe-loLang
I'd be pleased with either williams or mcclain. Though honestly ill talk myself into anyone the broncos pick

Br0nc0Buster
Question is... Does Dan Williams last until #11?

yes

Garcia Bronco
We already have a couple of NT's. I would rather ride with Baker than draft an NT high.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-04-2010, 10:20 AM
We already have a couple of NT's. I would rather ride with Baker than draft an NT high.

If Baker is up to task, then sure. I guess if we draft an NT in the first round, it would suggest he's not. Then again, maybe they try to kick Baker outside to end.

strafen
03-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Question is... Does Dan Williams last until #11?I think so.
I've seen two "reputable" draft mocks that have him going to Houston at #20 and another one where he goes to Arizona at #26
So, yes. We have a shot at him...

HILife

what were his numbers in the combine? Anyway combine is overrated. It's all about the tape.

DenverBrit
Williams, if they can trade down to get him.

Instead of McClain, I'd rather have Kirk Morrison at ILB, he's a known quantity and would be cheaper.........assuming he fits a 3-4.

TheDave
03-04-2010, 10:24 AM
I think so.
I've seen two "reputable" draft mocks that have him going to Houston at #20 and another one where he goes to Arizona at #26
So, yes. We have a shot at him...

This time last year Tyson Jackson was a late 1st...

Trust me, I hope you are right, but it wouldn't surprise me if he moved way up on a lot of draft boards.

Rabb
03-04-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't put a lot of stock into the combine, game film says it all.

Williams, we need a beasty in the middle.

Garcia Bronco
03-04-2010, 10:27 AM
If Baker is up to task, then sure. I guess if we draft an NT in the first round, it would suggest he's not. Then again, maybe they try to kick Baker outside to end.

He's big enough and he had his moments in pre-season last season. We'll see.

crush17
03-04-2010, 10:32 AM
IUPATI or GTFO

Taco John
03-04-2010, 10:35 AM
IUPATI or GTFO

As an Idaho Alum, I would love Iupati. Having him and Clady on the line together would be epic.

But he didn't get enough votes in the draft thread for this run-off.

Requiem
03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Williams versatility in our scheme and the ability to play multiple fronts is more impressive to me than McClain's overall game. I'm not sure Williams makes it to #11. Suh and McCoy are top three selections, and there are other teams in the top 10 who would be in need of a nose tackle or defensive lineman before we select. Kansas City likes Williams, and I would never doubt a team willing to trade up to ensure they get their guy.

In an ideal world, the board would fall much like it did for us when we got Clady. I'm not sure we will be so lucky again. If Williams is there at #11, I take him. If he isn't, I would only consider a few other players before trading down. Those two players would be Weatherspoon and Spiller. I don't think Weatherspoon is a top 12 guy overall, but he can play all over the backer corps and brings a few things to the table we are devoid at.

I think this draft has very few elite players, but a lot of solid first rounders. I have seen rankings where places have as many as 50 guys with first-round grades, which is a stark comparison to 2007 where a Dallas scout came out and said their board only had 16 names with first-round grades on it.

I think Denver is in a good position to get a quality player whether we stay put or move. I just would like to see NT taken off the need list immediately so we can focus on other areas of the draft that are pretty deep. Not that DT isn't deep, but I'd rather take a guy like Williams than rely on a flyer in Troup in the mid-rounds.

JM2C.

no-pseudo-fan
03-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Don't they have video of McClain chasing Tebow down from behind?

spdirty
03-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Be happy with either of em, but if they are both available, Id say its 50-50 whether McD drafts one of em.

But my preference would be Williams.

strafen
03-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Let me throw this into the mix...
Assuming Marshall is gone, would that change our draft strategy?
A lot of mock drafts have us taking Dez Bryant.
This is still a strong possibility whether we like it or not. I know I don't like it!

Rabb
03-04-2010, 10:48 AM
the thing is, if Williams is as good as it seems like he could be, he would upgrade the other positions for us...more than McClain could, IMO

ask RayRay how important Ngata is to his game

Rohirrim
03-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Guess I'll go with Williams. ;D

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-04-2010, 10:50 AM
This is still a strong possibility whether we like it or not. I know I don't like it!

I just don't (and haven't ever) see us drafting Bryant. Seems like a head case, a me-first kind of guy, and if we're going to go through that **** again, just keep the known quantity in Marshall.

/shrug

Rabb
03-04-2010, 10:51 AM

I am really hoping that should we find ourselves with another 1st round pick, we take care of a nagging need and go WR later, because there are some gems to be had later I think

strafen
03-04-2010, 10:52 AM
the thing is, if Williams is as good as it seems like he could be, he would upgrade the other positions for us...more than McClain could, IMO

ask RayRay how important Ngata is to his gameThat's what I've been saying.
We need a big push up the middle that would create chaos and push the line backwards (OL), disrupt their timing and open up holes for our linebackers and DE's to penetrate.

LonghornBronco
03-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Tough one but I'd have to say McClain based on best player available.

If we are talking about the OM consensis mock, then I think a trade makes sense with the #1 DE, #1 ILB, and a good OT still on the board. So my wish would be to trade down to perhaps 18 (Pitts) and get good value for williamson, and if he's not there Iupati is a nice consolation prize.

Play2win
03-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Who would be the better NFL linebacker McClain or Weatherspoon?

~Crash~
03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
hell at this point we will draft several times in the first round IMO . so maybe we get both ....

strafen
03-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I am really hoping that should we find ourselves with another 1st round pick, we take care of a nagging need and go WR later, because there are some gems to be had later I thinkHave you heard/seen the Xanders video that was posted earlier in the week?

Let's hope that he meant it when he said they're still checking into players characters, and background.
I remember reading somewhere Dez has some character issues.
I just don't want to get a WR in the 1st round either.
It will be Moreno part II. Yes we could use a RB, but it was not our priority.
Yes, we can use a WR, but it's not our priority. Follow my drift?

rmsanger
03-04-2010, 10:59 AM
All aboard the mike iupati train*** Woot woot***

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
I am really hoping that should we find ourselves with another 1st round pick, we take care of a nagging need and go WR later, because there are some gems to be had later I think

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/5/fa/9f0/5fa9f03e-7720-11de-b0f8-001cc4c03286.image.jpg
Marc Mariani

:thumbs:

Rabb
03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Have you heard/seen the Xanders video that was posted earlier in the week?

Let's hope that he meant it when he said they're still checking into players characters, and background.
I remember reading somewhere Dez has some character issues.
I just don't want to get a WR in the 1st round either.
It will be Moreno part II. Yes we could use a RB, but it was not our priority.
Yes, we can use a WR, but it's not our priority. Follow my drift?

completely, and I agree

I will have to check the video out, I meant to last night

cmhargrove
03-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Our top priorities still need to be:
1a. The run game.
1b. Stopping the run.

Let's quit all the crap about Dez unless we are trading away our pick so another team can get him.

Rabb
03-04-2010, 11:02 AM
I have a feeling someone is going to bite on Orton....commence laughing and mocking

gyldenlove
03-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Mcclain, there are so many good defensive linemen in this years draft it is crazy, right now I am counting no less than 6 NT prospects who should be drafted and several 5-tech candidates who fit in the first 4 rounds.

There are 2 reasons I want Mcclain, first is that Dawkins is not going to be around for much longer and we need that centerpiece and sparkplug, second is that you don't get a shot at a guy like that very often, there are so few great MLBs in the draft, barely 1 a year.

UberBroncoMan
03-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm curious... if Eric Berry is there at 11... who takes him over he other two listed?

Rabb
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm curious... if Eric Berry is there at 11... who takes him over he other two listed?

I thought about this very thing, because a guy like that has the make up to be Ed Reeeeeeeeeeeed'ish

someone on NFL network said something to the affect that teams are seeing the benefit and impact of a dominant safety anymore (Pittsburgh being a good example, they were not even close to the same without Polamalu), so guys like Berry and Mays will be more coveted than maybe in years past

MagicHef
03-04-2010, 11:16 AM
For those wondering about McClain's combine, it wasn't that he had poor numbers, it was that he refused to participate amongst rumors that he would measure up quite poorly to other LBs. It's more a matter of competitiveness and his mindset than anything else.

Oh, and I think that Weatherspoon will be a better LB.

UberBroncoMan
03-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I thought about this very thing, because a guy like that has the make up to be Ed Reeeeeeeeeeeed'ish

someone on NFL network said something to the affect that teams are seeing the benefit and impact of a dominant safety anymore (Pittsburgh being a good example, they were not even close to the same without Polamalu), so guys like Berry and Mays will be more coveted than maybe in years past

Exactly... but the thing is we have a ton of depth at Safety... and we spent a 1st this year on a CB last year already.

Personally I think Berry is the best player available at that point... but it creates some issues.

Though... imagine a Berry - McBath backfield in a two years when Hill and Dawkins are done.

Though who would our CB's be. Alphonso Smith and who? That's assuming Smith even gets it together. He got beat out by an ancient vet and an undrafted FA.

I really liked McBath last year btw. He stepped up quite well for Dawkins.

Play2win
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
For those wondering about McClain's combine, it wasn't that he had poor numbers, it was that he refused to participate amongst rumors that he would measure up quite poorly to other LBs. It's more a matter of competitiveness and his mindset than anything else.

Oh, and I think that Weatherspoon will be a better LB.

Rabb
03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah agreed, I think we got a real gem in McBath, he is also a stud on ST which is something we needed, CB and Safeties are traditionally the gunners

Bruton is another example of a guy that made a major ST impact

I think that's one reason Berry and Mays are so valuable, they are willing to pop someone in any capacity, including ST which is where they will be used a ton as a rookie

Bob
03-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Hate to state the obvious -- but as we need at NT (like we have for 20 years) we will pick a WR, OT, or QB, or something like that...

dbfan21
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Dan Williams, NT

Best fit... biggest need.

Bingo! Can't say it any better than that!

underrated29
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
strictly out of these two options. I go with NT...

Besides the fact that it is a major need for us, the second tier of NT has a considerable drop off. Yes, Codys fat ass will probably be around in the 2nd and I wouldnt mind going for him. Even though he will probably, literally die here with the thin air...

But Spikes will be a great player and he just might last until rd 2. And the drop off for ALL the LB ILB or OLB this year is not nearly as severe because of all the depth that this draft has.

I go NT.

gunns
03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
I just don't (and haven't ever) see us drafting Bryant. Seems like a head case, a me-first kind of guy, and if we're going to go through that **** again, just keep the known quantity in Marshall.

/shrug

That baggage has a lot of mocks moving Bryant to the 2nd WR taken, after Tate. And a lot of the mocks that had us taking Bryant now have us taking Williams. Bryant screwed the pooch, THANK HEAVENS!

crush17
03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Screw Dez Bryant.
NO MORE DIVA WR's EVER!!!