PDA

View Full Version : Moves spell out Broncos' offseason strategy

DenverBrit
03-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Moves spell out Broncos' offseason strategy

Holdouts are possible after Denver tenders contracts to five of its restricted free agents.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Beneath the otherwise dull mechanism of contract tendering lies so many double meanings, inferences and stories.

The Broncos tendered contracts to five of their six restricted free agents Wednesday. The Broncos' Big Five — Elvis Dumervil, Kyle Orton, Brandon Marshall, Chris Kuper and Tony Scheffler — are not exactly the Happy Five.

None of them figure to sign those tenders any time soon.

Two, Marshall and Scheffler, are set up to be traded. The other three — Dumervil, Orton and Kuper — are likely to consider joining the dozens of fourth- and fifth-year NFL restricted free agents in holding out from offseason workouts.

The only potential restricted free agent not tendered a contract by the Broncos was backup defensive end Le Kevin Smith. He may have been the only one of the group who would have been happy with a tender. Instead, he becomes an unrestricted free agent — which is what the other five players wish they had the opportunity to try.

"It's bittersweet," said Leo Goeas, Kuper's agent. "Chris likes being there, he likes being a Bronco. A lot of this is out of his control. The good thing about this is the Broncos sent the message with that first-round tender that they value him and they don't want him leaving. The other side is by putting such a high tender on him, it does limit his opportunities."

Welcome to what promises to be another tumultuous offseason at Dove Valley.

Take the case of Dumervil. He's the player the Broncos most coveted, and most feared losing. The team acted accordingly by slapping the highest tender of first- and third-round compensation on the NFL's sack leader. Should another team lure away Dumervil with a lucrative deal, that team would have to compensate the Broncos with a first- and third-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Teams just don't give up that much for any player.

Nice to be loved, right? If only love could buy a beach house
on the Miami waterfront. Last July, Baltimore avoided losing Terrell Suggs to free agency by signing the outside linebacker to a six-year, $62.5 million contract, $38.1 million of which is guaranteed.

Suggs had eight sacks in the season leading into free agency. Dumervil had 17.

Dumervil would have been an unrestricted free agent this offseason until a breakdown in the league's collective bargaining agreement changed the rules. Now, fourth- and fifth- year players — as is the case with the Broncos' Big Five — are not unrestricted but restricted free agents.

As a restricted free agent, Dumervil is guaranteed only a one-year, $3.168 million deal. No doubt, $3.1 million is nice — unless it's $3.1 million instead of $38.1 million.

Three other Broncos — Orton, Marshall and Kuper — received the next-highest tender of first-round draft pick compensation.

First-round compensation, though, had different meanings. For a potential superstar like Marshall, who is coming off three consecutive 100-catch seasons, or Orton, a three-year starting QB, a first-round tender could invite a team or three to go after them.

But for Kuper, who plays at a relatively lower-paid position, a first-round tender would be considered all but prohibitive for other teams to pursue.

Scheffler received the lowest tender of "original round" compensation. Although Scheffler was a second-round pick in the 2006 draft, by designating him as an "original round" restricted free agent instead of "second round" restricted free agent, the Broncos are guaranteeing his pay at $1.176 million instead of $1.759 million.

That's nearly a $600,000 shove to the edge of the trading plank.

Many agents already have recommended to their restricted free-agent clients to skip the team's offseason workout sessions. The agents don't want these players in harm's way in case a new CBA changes their status from restricted free agency to unrestricted free agency.

The agents know there's a better chance of heaven using pitchforks at the dinner table than the league and union have of reaching a new CBA. But negotiating leverage is not in the player's favor.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0303/20100303_110535_FooterBroncos030410a.jpg

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14509001#ixzz0hDgj03Xd

Rohirrim
03-04-2010, 09:47 AM
That's a lot to chew on. Tomorrow could be a very eventful day for the Broncos. I'm pumped.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I thought Scheff was given the higher of the 2 2nd round tenders? guess not.

TheChamp24
03-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Yeah, go ahead and hold out Orton, I'm sure there are loads of teams wanting to offer you $8 million a year to QB their team.

I'm confident something will get done with Dumervil and Kuper, Marshall and Scheffler I doubt it right away.

gyldenlove
03-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I thought Scheff was given the higher of the 2 2nd round tenders? guess not.

About 50% of the news sources report it as a 2nd round tender and about half including db.com report it as an original round tender which would be a 3rd thanks to some obscure rule about upgrade tenders.

At current there is no good statement either way, so we will have to wait and see if it was a 2nd or original round.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-04-2010, 10:15 AM
About 50% of the news sources report it as a 2nd round tender and about half including db.com report it as an original round tender which would be a 3rd thanks to some obscure rule about upgrade tenders.

At current there is no good statement either way, so we will have to wait and see if it was a 2nd or original round.

This **** is giving me a headache. Off topic, ever been to that restaurant Noma? I might be going there in the fall.

Archer81
03-04-2010, 10:15 AM

Sheffler was a 2nd round pick. How would he be tendered at a 3rd?

:Broncos:

DenverBrit
03-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Scheffler was drafted in the 2nd round.

Edit:

Misunderstood your point. Here's a rule explanation posted below.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2766005&postcount=14

jhns
03-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Scheffler was drafted in the 2nd round.

They are still different. The second round pays about a half mil more than the original round even though they sound like the same thing.

"the Broncos are guaranteeing his pay at $1.176 million instead of $1.759 million."

Rabb
03-04-2010, 10:23 AM

obscure rules ftw!

DenverBrit
03-04-2010, 10:27 AM
They are still different. The second round pays about a half mil more than the original round even though they sound like the same thing.

"the Broncos are guaranteeing his pay at $1.176 million instead of $1.759 million."

Yes, he was tendered as 'original round'......the cheaper of the two choices.

He was still drafted in the 2nd.

Play2win
03-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Maybe before the whole sh*thouse goes up in flames (jim morrison)...

The player salaries can re-align themselves, just like (maybe) the housing market might...

The prolific use of Hold-Outs has got to go.

The levee has got to break somewhere...

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Because of the "obscure rule" someone alluded to here and I believe posted the link to a week or two ago. Here it is, in a nutshell:

If you are offered the "original round" tender by the team, and that same team offered a higher tender to any other RFA on the roster, then for some reason the "original round" compensation due to that team (if you are signed away) really becomes "original round minus one". In other words, because the Broncos offered higher tenders to the other guys, if someone wants Schef all they have to do is give us a third rounder.....even though he was drafted in the 2nd round.

DenverBrit
03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Because of the "obscure rule" someone alluded to here and I believe posted the link to a week or two ago. Here it is, in a nutshell:

If you are offered the "original round" tender by the team, and that same team offered a higher tender to any other RFA on the roster, then for some reason the "original round" compensation due to that team (if you are signed away) really becomes "original round minus one". In other words, because the Broncos offered higher tenders to the other guys, if someone wants Schef all they have to do is give us a third rounder.....even though he was drafted in the 2nd round.

You are correct. Here's an explanation.

By league rule, if a player (Evans) is given a second-round tender and was drafted after the second round, the team must give any of its restricted free agents that were second-round draft picks at least the “second-round tender” option to be eligible for second-round compensation. In Jackson’s case, he was given an “original-round tender.” In such instances, that compensation would be one round lower than his original draft round. Because Evans was tendered at a higher level than his draft pick, by giving Jackson the “original-round tender” the Vikings couldn’t put it at a level of a second-round pick as compensation. It becomes a third-round pick.

http://min.scout.com/2/951033.html

gyldenlove
03-04-2010, 11:03 AM
This **** is giving me a headache. Off topic, ever been to that restaurant Noma? I might be going there in the fall.

I never went to Noma, always too expensive for me, but I know several people who have been, if you want a culinary experience it is definitely worth going.

You can go to any of these places and get superb food and wine:

http://www.visitdenmark.com/uk/en-gb/menu/turist/inspiration/nydlivet/gastronomi/michelin-restaurants.htm

Rock Chalk
03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Guess who is at fault here?

That's right, the ****ing players. They should have gotten a new CBA done and none of this would be happening to them right now and they would ALL be sitting a hell of a lot better.

KevinJames
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Lol @ Banta Cain being number 1 on the wish lsit.......

ahahahahha wow really that whole list is pretty bad actually with the exception of a few

Triplelefthook
03-04-2010, 04:28 PM
this can work out IF we replace Marshall with a #1 caliber WR who can also function as the deep threat in our offense. move royale with cheese over to the slot, keep Gaffney.

i feel scheffler was under-used last year, for whatever reason, he is a real X-factor if he is utilized... but who knows, we got stuff accomplished last year without him mostly until our respective lines disintegrated

SonOfLe-loLang
03-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I never went to Noma, always too expensive for me, but I know several people who have been, if you want a culinary experience it is definitely worth going.

You can go to any of these places and get superb food and wine:

http://www.visitdenmark.com/uk/en-gb/menu/turist/inspiration/nydlivet/gastronomi/michelin-restaurants.htm

Awesome thanks! I look forward to my copenhagen experience whenever the hell i get there. im in love with scandinavia

BroncoMan4ever
03-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, go ahead and hold out Orton, I'm sure there are loads of teams wanting to offer you $8 million a year to QB their team.

I'm confident something will get done with Dumervil and Kuper, Marshall and Scheffler I doubt it right away.

i wouldn't be too carefree about Orton. had he been an RFA in better circumstances where a CBA was in place, i would wager at least 1 team in the league would seriously take a shot at acquiring him.

Hell this is the same league that saw a career backup who hadn't started a game since high school after 1 decent season get traded for a very high 2nd round pick and an assload of money. Now Orton on the other hand, is a proven winner, has years of experience, showed he has the ability to be a good NFL starter. to me it seems like he would command a lot more than Cassel would have last season

eddie mac
03-04-2010, 05:16 PM
The rules are a bit obscure regarding compensation but a piece I read today on PFT more or less indicated that we'd only get a 3rd as compensation if we used the 2nd rd tender on another one of our own restricted free agents.

We didn't do that so it could well be 2nd rd compensation.

rastaman
03-05-2010, 04:55 AM
this can work out IF we replace Marshall with a #1 caliber WR who can also function as the deep threat in our offense. move royale with cheese over to the slot, keep Gaffney.

McD believes all he needs is two additional Gaffney type WR's to replace Marshall. In theory it makes sense and getting/finding two more Gaffney type WR's shouldn't be difficult either in the draft or FA. However, drafting or signing a WR of Marshall's claiber is a crap shoot at best.

i feel scheffler was under-used last year, for whatever reason, he is a real X-factor if he is utilized... but who knows, we got stuff accomplished last year without him mostly until our respective lines disintegrated

Agreed. With change comes uncertainity, lack of trust, and a lack of chemistry. Scheffler fits McD's Dink and Dunk scheme, however, Scheffler doesn't believe in it and feels the scheme doesn't best suit his talents. And McD wants players that buy into his system. Soneone has to go and it won't be McD, so that leaves Scheffler as odd man out.

oubronco
03-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Well its friday and HERE WE GO

Triplelefthook
03-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Agreed. With change comes uncertainity, lack of trust, and a lack of chemistry. Scheffler fits McD's Dink and Dunk scheme, however, Scheffler doesn't believe in it and feels the scheme doesn't best suit his talents. And McD wants players that buy into his system. Soneone has to go and it won't be McD, so that leaves Scheffler as odd man out.

in the end I agree - i do not think we should be getting rid of Marshall, and I didn't think we should have gotten rid of Cutler either - BUT I am trying to make the best of the situation. This is McNuggets team now and I liked what he did in the off-season last year otherwise. Looking forward to another surprising off-season