PDA

View Full Version : Report: Cardinals want a third-round pick for Boldin

The MVPlaya
03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Report: Cardinals want a third-round pick for Boldin

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 10:33 PM ET

Cardinals G.M. Rod Graves has made it clear that his team is willing to trade wide receiver Anquan Boldin.

But what would it take to get Boldin out of Arizona?

Michael Lombardi reported on NFL Network that the Cardinals "only want a third-round pick" for Boldin. That's not too high a price for a starting wide receiver.

But, Lombardi said, the big sticking point is whether a team acquiring Boldin will be willing and able to fork over the money necessary to make Boldin happy. In other words, Boldin won't just cost a third-round pick. He'll cost a third-round pick plus a big new contract.

Boldin said after the season ended that he wouldn't request a trade. But the Cardinals may have come to the realization that their offense is just fine without him, and that they ought to get whatever they can for him. If what they can get is a third-round pick, the Cardinals would apparently be fine with that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/report-cardinals-want-a-third-round-pick-for-boldin/

The MVPlaya
03-03-2010, 07:43 PM
This probably will have an affect on Marshall's 1st round tender.

This is essentially like a 3rd round tender (if that's all they want) for Boldin. The team that gets Boldin will need to give him an extension...

broncosteven
03-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I would still rather have BMarsh

The MVPlaya
03-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I would still rather have BMarsh

Hell yeah...

GoBroncos84
03-03-2010, 07:53 PM
If we added a couple very good players to the O and D lines in free agency, I would not mind having both Bmarsh and Boldin. Royal in the slot. That's damn scary

Archer81
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
If we added a couple very good players to the O and D lines in free agency, I would not mind having both Bmarsh and Boldin. Royal in the slot. That's damn scary

Dude, totally. I cant even comprehend that WR group.

:Broncos:

misturanderson
03-03-2010, 08:09 PM

It still completely lacks a legit deep threat though.

Doggcow
03-03-2010, 08:16 PM
**** yeah, I'd love to give up our 3rd for Boldin/

dbfan4life
03-03-2010, 08:19 PM

It's not that we didn't have a deep threat, it's that we just didn't throw deep.

Doggcow
03-03-2010, 08:22 PM
It's not that we didn't have a deep threat, it's that we just didn't throw deep.

We threw deep, but just not that often. Marshall usually dropped it anyway. E.g. Week 1.

strafen
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
It's not that we didn't have a deep threat, it's that we just didn't throw deep.Or have anybody who can throw deep, accurately, often, and consistently

Play2win
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Or that we didn't have the O-Line that would hold up, so we could throw deep. (after Ryan harris went down)

Florida_Bronco
03-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Actually Misturandersen is right. We were forced to play Royal as the deep threat since he is the only one with the speed to play that role in McDaniel's offense, yet he is ideally suited to the Wes Welker role.

Boldin and Marshall are extremely similar skillsets. Having them both in the same offense would be redundant. It needs to be one or the other IMO.

GoBroncos84
03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I think Marshall, Royal, and Scheffler can all be deep threats. Fix the o-line and that area would improve. Then we'd see for sure if Orton can make those throws or not. I put it more on the line and QB than the receivers.

Florida_Bronco
03-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I think Marshall, Royal, and Scheffler can all be deep threats. Fix the o-line and that area would improve. Then we'd see for sure if Orton can make those throws or not. I put it more on the line and QB than the receivers.

Marshall doesn't have the speed to be a deep threat. He's just not fast enough. Royal has the speed but he is small and shifty so he translates better to the Wes Welker role. Scheffler is about as fast as Marshall, which is fast for a tight end but he's not going to be a legit deep threat as a wideout.

Dagmar
03-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Or have anybody who can throw deep, accurately, often, and consistently

Wow, drag had a dig at our qb? Color me STUNNED.

KevinJames
03-03-2010, 09:38 PM
we need to offer our 3rd ASAP

gogogogo

offer that third.

strafen
03-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Marshall doesn't have the speed to be a deep threat. He's just not fast enough. Royal has the speed but he is small and shifty so he translates better to the Wes Welker role. Scheffler is about as fast as Marshall, which is fast for a tight end but he's not going to be a legit deep threat as a wideout.You can still throw the ball deep to Marshall, and chances are he's come down with it.
He may not have the breakaway speed of the prototype "deep-threat" receiver, but when the ball is up in the air, not very many DB's in the league are going to out man Marshall for the ball

strafen
03-03-2010, 09:51 PM
we need to offer our 3rd ASAP

gogogogo

offer that third.

Giving up a 3rd for Boldin is one thing, getting him the money he'll be happy with is another...

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow, drag had a dig at our qb? Color me STUNNED.

You had a dig at Drag? Color me STUNNED.

Dagmar
03-03-2010, 09:53 PM
You had a dig at Drag? Color me STUNNED.

You had a dig at me? Color me STUUUUUUUUUUNNED.

Prick.

:peace:

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
You had a dig at me? Color me STUUUUUUUUUUNNED.

Prick.

:peace:

So I guess you are calling yourself a prick for digging on Drag all the time. :welcome:

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
It's funny on Feb 25 PFT reported that Boldin could be going for a 2nd rounder.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/25/combine-rumor-boldin-will-finally-get-dealt/

I guess if you throw enough crap on the wall some is bound to be true....

strafen
03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
So I guess you are calling yourself a prick for digging on Drag all the time. :welcome:Wow, that guy does nothing but stalk me where ever I post, doesn't he?
I have him on my ignore list and he still keeps popping up on my radar.
I guess this what they use this board for; to spread their misery.
Sad people, indeed!

Dagmar
03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
So I guess you are calling yourself a prick for digging on Drag all the time. :welcome:

Did you just pull an "I know you are but what am I?"

I get it. You hate me. Put me on ignore. It's easy.

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Did you just pull an "I know you are but what am I?"

I get it. You hate me. Put me on ignore. It's easy.

Why so you can quote me and talk **** to me while I have you on ignore like you Drag? No thanks. If you have a issue with me you could change your posting style and I will leave you alone...OR you could ignore me. I mean Drag doesn't like you he has you on ignore and you follow him around like a lost dog. Why is it that you seem to be upset that I would want to do the same to you? You're no different then the posters you mock all the time.

Dagmar
03-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Why so you can quote me and talk **** to me while I have you on ignore like you Drag? No thanks. If you have a issue with me you could change your posting style and I will leave you alone...OR you could ignore me. I mean Drag doesn't like you he has you on ignore and you follow him around like a lost dog. Why is it that you seem to be upset that I would want to do the same to you? You're no different then the posters you mock all the time.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

cutthemdown
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Boldin and Marshall don't fit together IMO. Now getting Boldin for a 3rd, letting Marshall go and getting a first, then using that pick for a burner deep threat might be a good idea.

Florida_Bronco
03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Boldin and Marshall don't fit together IMO. Now getting Boldin for a 3rd, letting Marshall go and getting a first, then using that pick for a burner deep threat might be a good idea.

Sounds good, except I wonder about the fact that Boldin can't seem to stay healthy. That would worry me.

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Why would the Cards set the value for Boldin at a third rounder on a day where every NFL team with a WR with any talent got a first and a third round value (besides Marshall)? There are multiple teams that could use a talented WR and only on is available for less then a first and a third and that's Marshall. A third rounder seems to be far less then the market value for a WR of his talent.

SportinOne
03-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Why would the Cards set the value for Boldin at a third rounder on a day where every NFL team with a WR with any talent got a first and a third round value (besides Marshall)? There are multiple teams that could use a talented WR and only on is available for less then a first and a third and that's Marshall. A third rounder seems to be far less then the market value for a WR of his talent.

They obviously don't want to pay him. And the Marshall move tells me 1 of 2 things:

1. They wouldn't mind keeping him (as reported), but in the event that someone is willing to give up great value they will examine which team, and which pick, that is and execute accordingly. They knew that no one would give up a 1st and 3rd so they left he option open by only tendering a 1st. They get to pay him less (i think) if he stays than a 1st and 3rd so that is a benefit as well.

or

2. They are leaning towards not wanting him to stay, and are pretty darn confident that someone will post the 1st round pick to get him.

I actually think that it's likely he already has a new home lined up elsewhere. If that's the case, bring in Boldin for sure.

Marshall
3rd

for

Boldin
1st

I actually think Boldin is the better overall receiver, so this is an absolute steal of a deal if Anquan is healthy.

The MVPlaya
03-03-2010, 11:48 PM
It's funny on Feb 25 PFT reported that Boldin could be going for a 2nd rounder.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/25/combine-rumor-boldin-will-finally-get-dealt/

I guess if you throw enough crap on the wall some is bound to be true....

Wow.

That was pure speculation. Hence the word "RUMOR."
- The article was pure speculation and just guessing games at the combine.

This is somewhat, official. Hence the word "REPORT."
- The article was written based off a report from Vic on NFL Network.

How you would try and make a connection that these two are the same? Not sure.

I am very tempted to take a stab at you but I'll just leave it at that.

BroncoMan4ever
03-04-2010, 12:26 AM

that would be cruel and unusual punishment to the rest of the league. somewhat like the rumor of the Jets wanting Revis and Asomughua in the same secondary. it would seem almost unfair if that happened.

but if all it costs is a 3rd, i say re-sign Marshall and ship out a 3rd for Boldin.

that would be like Indy a few years back when Harrison was still awesome, Wayne was entering his prime and Stokley was putting up crazy numbers for a slot receiver.

ZONA
03-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Why would we want Boldin? The Cardinals want to get rid of him so they don't have 1/3 of the cap reserved for the offense tied up in only two players, both being WR's. We would just be in the same boat with BM and Boldin, not quite to that extreme because Fitz gets paid more then BM will but none the less, having that much money in WR's is ridiculous.

Blueflame
03-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Potential value (a 3rd round draft pick) for proven value (Anquan Boldin)? ??? Uh...Boldin's better than Gaffney...

BroncoMan4ever
03-04-2010, 01:35 AM
why would we want boldin? The cardinals want to get rid of him so they don't have 1/3 of the cap reserved for the offense tied up in only two players, both being wr's. We would just be in the same boat with bm and boldin, not quite to that extreme because fitz gets paid more then bm will but none the less, having that much money in wr's is ridiculous.

what cap? ???

TonyR
03-04-2010, 06:50 AM
...but if all it costs is a 3rd, i say re-sign Marshall and ship out a 3rd for Boldin.

You don't put that much money in one position. It's one or the other. The best move would be to get Boldin for a 3rd and trade Marshall for a 1st. But I have serious doubts that Boldin can be had for that cheap.

Carmelo15
03-04-2010, 06:59 AM
This disgustingly stinks of Boldin to the Bears.

MagicHef
03-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Speaking of deep threats, is anyone else excited to see Kenny McKinley this season?

kamakazi_kal
03-04-2010, 08:11 AM

since when is going deep part of the "screen" attack.

The MVPlaya
03-04-2010, 08:29 AM

Deep threats/going deep forces DB's to play off/back further - hence the screen attack being used in counter.

:thumbsup:

yerner
03-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Speaking of deep threats, is anyone else excited to see Kenny McKinley this season?

No.

kamakazi_kal
03-04-2010, 09:21 AM
that would be cruel and unusual punishment to the rest of the league. somewhat like the rumor of the Jets wanting Revis and Asomughua in the same secondary. it would seem almost unfair if that happened.

but if all it costs is a 3rd, i say re-sign Marshall and ship out a 3rd for Boldin.

that would be like Indy a few years back when Harrison was still awesome, Wayne was entering his prime and Stokley was putting up crazy numbers for a slot receiver.

There is the problem of Orton not being anywhere near Manningish. That's just not his game.

kamakazi_kal
03-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Deep threats/going deep forces DB's to play off/back further - hence the screen attack being used in counter.

:thumbsup:

That would work if peeps were scared of Orton ...... not so much I'm afraid. I hope we take a QB to groom for a year or two down the line. Seems Orton is the dude at least for the next year. I can't imagine anyone would go for that first round tender.

strafen
03-04-2010, 09:24 AM

http://www.petsfunky.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/too-funny-lol-cat.JPG

Doggcow
03-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Sounds good, except I wonder about the fact that Boldin can't seem to stay healthy. That would worry me.

Yeah, what kind of pussy gets a broken face and returns from it the next week. A real man doesn't get a broken face, and if he does, he's back the next day.

cousinal11
03-04-2010, 09:58 AM
This disgustingly stinks of Boldin to the Bears.

That's what I thought.

Florida_Bronco
03-04-2010, 10:28 AM
That would work if peeps were scared of Orton ...... not so much I'm afraid.

I don't know about scared but you can be certain that NFL coaches and players know that Orton has the arm to hit deep passes. We just need to give Orton the protection and a legit deep threat.

Yeah, what kind of p***Y gets a broken face and returns from it the next week. A real man doesn't get a broken face, and if he does, he's back the next day.

I'm not questioning his toughness, but the fact remains the guy has only played a full 16 game season twice in 7 years and the last time was in 2006.

underrated29
03-04-2010, 10:59 AM
well we are going to have to cough up a contract one way or another.

It can either go to a younger higher ceiling guy who knows our system, but has issues and could be suspended... or

A guy who is a little older, not as high ceiling, but more polished and no off field issues, but has an injury history and seems to miss a couple games a season.

one will cost nothing to keep.
one will cost a 3rd to get.
one can be sold for a first and maybe more.

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
well we are going to have to cough up a contract one way or another.

Not true, in Marshall's case.

underrated29
03-04-2010, 11:05 AM
true. If we want to have a top flight WR we are going to have to cough up a big time contract.

Killericon
03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
If we don't keep Marshall, I'd love to get Boldin. Move Marshall for, well, whatever, and get Boldin for a 3rd? Roughly similar talent levels, but get rid of the off the field bull****. Sounds good to me.

rmsanger
03-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm still against moving Marshall anywhere.. Pay the man, he is a known success and can be kept happy with top 7 money at the position. Dare I say he "deserves" it...

Keeping him would be better than anything that happens on draft day.

TonyR
03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Pay the man

LOL Very few players well get big paydays this offseason. In case you haven't been following along that's why there are so many RFA's right now.

GoBroncos84
03-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Marshall doesn't have the speed to be a deep threat. He's just not fast enough. Royal has the speed but he is small and shifty so he translates better to the Wes Welker role. Scheffler is about as fast as Marshall, which is fast for a tight end but he's not going to be a legit deep threat as a wideout.

Marshall has comparable speed to Vincent Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald, Terrell Owens, Marques Colston, and Plaxico Burress. All of them ran between 4.5 and 4.6. Each is either currently or has been (burress, owens) considered a deep threat. That level of speed combined with the size he has, he would be a fine deep threat

The MVPlaya
03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Marshall has comparable speed to Vincent Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald, Terrell Owens, Marques Colston, and Plaxico Burress. All of them ran between 4.5 and 4.6. Each is either currently or has been (burress, owens) considered a deep threat. That level of speed combined with the size he has, he would be a fine deep threat

I know you're not talking about Terrell Owens when he was younger or in his prime - he ran a good 40 if I remember but that's not the point - Owens was FAST.

Larry Fitzgerald is also faster on the football field than his 40 time indicates. He has amazing hands, best in the league likely, and this is what makes him a deep threat. Remember in the super bowl where he took it all the way? Marshall probably wouldn't have made that play.

You're trippin hard for putting Terrell Owens on that list, I'm pretty sure you've never watched him play when he was younger.

40 times are a tough indicator and doesn't always translate to game/field speed. Kind of like Reggie Bush.

The one thing that holds Marshall back as being deep threat is his ability to catch the ball with his back to the QB or sidelines. I think only remember him making a 1 or 2 deep catches in this fashion - and none of them were this year, just in Cutler's last year.

Archer81
03-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I know you're not talking about Terrell Owens when he was younger or in his prime - he ran a good 40 if I remember but that's not the point - Owens was FAST.

Larry Fitzgerald is also faster on the football field than his 40 time indicates. He has amazing hands, best in the league likely, and this is what makes him a deep threat. Remember in the super bowl where he took it all the way? Marshall probably wouldn't have made that play.

You're trippin hard for putting Terrell Owens on that list, I'm pretty sure you've never watched him play when he was younger.

40 times are a tough indicator and doesn't always translate to game/field speed. Kind of like Reggie Bush.

The one thing that holds Marshall back as being deep threat is his ability to catch the ball with his back to the QB or sidelines. I think only remember him making a 1 or 2 deep catches in this fashion - and none of them were this year, just in Cutler's last year.

Redskins game?

The MVPlaya
03-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Redskins game?

lol sorry 1 time when there isn't a DB within 30 yards.

That's beyond the point - he's not comfortable with it and is why his deep threat ability is limited.

Florida_Bronco
03-04-2010, 05:55 PM

I know for certain that even Marshall commented about how much faster Fitzgerald is than him.

Doggcow
03-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I know for certain that even Marshall commented about how much faster Fitzgerald is than him.

Fitz might be a little faster, but the rest of the list still holds true.

The MVPlaya
03-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Fitz might be a little faster, but the rest of the list still holds true.

The rest of that list is bogus. It's result of the system.

Marshall's YPC was still low when Cutler was here, period.

I'm still wondering how someone tried to refer to Owens as not fast...