PDA

View Full Version : Dumervil is not going anywhere

The MVPlaya
03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Dumervil is not going anywhere

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 3, 2010 3:17 PM ET

The Broncos showed how much they value linebacker Elvis Dumervil Wednesday, placing a first- and third-round tender on the restricted free agent. He's due $3.168 million in 2010.

The designation is in contrast to Kyle Orton and Brandon Marshall, who got lesser first-round tenders Wednesday.

A with that, we promise not to post any more on Denver's tenders for Wednesday.

Barring a long-term deal, this is probably the last we'll hear about Dumervil for a while. Unlike Marshall, it's safe to say Dumervil is not going anywhere.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/dumervil-is-not-going-anywhere/

broncofan2438
03-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Good to hear

Popcorn Sutton
03-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Man, if I could recall the thread now where people were jumping off the deep end because Schefter simply said Miami would keep an eye on him. McDevil is giving him away!!! WTF!!! I hate McDoofus!!

SoDak Bronco
03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
What is this poison pill everyone is talking about? I remember something about Hutch when he signed with the Vikes but I don't know what it all means

scorpio
03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
What is this poison pill everyone is talking about? I remember something about Hutch when he signed with the Vikes but I don't know what it all means

Something about if he played more than two games in the state of Washington his contract would increase.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Weird. Pretty sure I called this one.

jhns, rasta, dragster: Back to your regularly-scheduled McD-bashing. Please go ahead.

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 01:54 PM
I guess this means teams can't go after him then.

Ray Finkle
03-03-2010, 01:57 PM
BUT NOLAN IS TAKING HIM WITH HIM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>sky falls...

jhns
03-03-2010, 02:02 PM

jhns, rasta, dragster: Back to your regularly-scheduled McD-bashing. Please go ahead.

Where did I bash McD about any of this? Stop being such a little girl.

You called what? Some writter speculating that Elvis isn't going anywhere? Why is that exactly? No one will give up the extra 3rd for him?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-03-2010, 02:09 PM

You called what? Some writter speculating that Elvis isn't going anywhere? Why is that exactly? No one will give up the extra 3rd for him?

You flaming moron. If you aren't complaining about Orton, you're bitching about Dumervil going to the Dolphins because McD let Nolan go.

Gimme a break.

I called Dumervil not going anywhere. I called the team signing him to a tender, just like this, to keep him here.

Nobody's going to give up a first and third to grab an undersized OLB who is weak against the run. I don't care how many sacks he got. It won't happen.

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 02:12 PM

No ****. If the Phins offer him contract like Haynesworth got then what happens? I doubt Denver would match that and poof we get a first and a third and the get Dumervil. The tendering him at a first and a third isn't going to keep him from going anywhere it's the lack of a CBA that is going to help save our ass.

Popcorn Sutton
03-03-2010, 02:15 PM
No ****. If the Phins offer him contract like Haynesworth got then what happens? I doubt Denver would match that and poof we get a first and a third and the get Dumervil. The tendering him at a first and a third isn't going to keep him from going anywhere it's the lack of a CBA that is going to help save our ass.

Which is why jumping off the deep end was premature. There is still so much TBD.

jhns
03-03-2010, 02:17 PM
You flaming moron. If you aren't complaining about Orton, you're b****ing about Dumervil going to the Dolphins because McD let Nolan go.

Gimme a break.

I called Dumervil not going anywhere. I called the team signing him to a tender, just like this, to keep him here.

Nobody's going to give up a first and third to grab an undersized OLB who is weak against the run. I don't care how many sacks he got. It won't happen.

I have never said a single thing about Elvis going to the Dolphins. Again, time to stop being such a little girl.

Many teams overvalue pass rushers. I don't really care what you think about it, that is a fact.

NFLBRONCO
03-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't see how this is over until its over. If a team offers Doom a longterm deal who's to say Denver will match it? Depends on the amount we'll see.

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Which is why jumping off the deep end was premature. There is still so much TBD.

I read that thread. There wasn't much jumping off the deep end. People where just doing what message boards are for speculating. No one was claiming it was a done deal that he was Miami bound. I pointed out if there ever was a off-season to use poison pills this would be the one for it. The tendering him for the extra third doesn't mean he is safe, it just means we get more in return if we can't match a offer. The only way I will think he is safe is if he signs a contract with us. Till then anything is possible. The fact that there is no CBA makes me feel better about our RFA's then the tender amount.

strafen
03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I have never said a single thing about Elvis going to the Dolphins. Again, time to stop being such a little girl.

Many teams overvalue pass rushers. I don't really care what you think about it, that is a fact.Dude, put this guy on your ignore list.
I have him there now, and I haven't missed any of his psychotic rant towards anything anybody has to say about McDaniels.
This guy has some serious man crush on McDaniels and has some pent-up anger to go with it.
He calls people out and start his insults to bring the attention to himself, as if when he acts this way he's not expecting to get a worse reaction. He will then blame you for derailing a thread. Nuff said!
Just put him on ignore and you don't have to read his non-sense and worthless crap.
God forbid he adds something nice to a discussion instead of scanning threads to see who just bad-mouthed McDaniels si he can unleash his anger...
Outrageous!

Oh, and yes, he's on my ignore list permanently. Please quit quoting him

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Dude, put this guy on your ignore list.
I have him there now, and I haven't missed any of his psychotic rant towards anything anybody has to say about McDaniels.
This guy has some serious man crush on McDaniels and has some pent-up anger to go with it.
He calls people out and start his insults to bring the attention to himself, as if when he acts this way he's not expecting to get a worse reaction. He will then blame you for derailing a thread. Nuff said!
Just put him on ignore and you don't have to read his non-sense and worthless crap.
God forbid he adds something nice to a discussion instead of scanning threads to see who just bad-mouthed McDaniels si he can unleash his anger...
Outrageous!

Faux anger is truly, truly, truly outrageous!

jhns
03-03-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm sorry, I will try to remember that and stop quoting him. He is a strange one. I can't put people on ignore though. I find most all posts here are good for entertainment, even if they are childish or dumb.

Play2win
03-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Faux anger is truly, truly, truly outrageous!

Its ironic as hell that you have to quote dragster for me to see him b!tching about putting somebody else on ignore... Its the last thing I would think that guy would be talking about...

I wonder how many have dragster on ignore... LOL

strafen
03-03-2010, 02:43 PM
And there goes another good thread.Yup, blame that one on me too ;)

strafen
03-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Play2Win
This message is hidden because Play2Win is on your ignore list.

Rabb
03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Its ironic as hell that you have to quote dragster for me to see him b!tching about putting somebody else on ignore... Its the last thing I would think that guy would be talking about...

I wonder how many have dragster on ignore... LOL

I did but I took him off, he is not bad...jhns though, I had to put him back on, he is just too much for me

honestly it annoys me so much that either side of the camps derail threads anymore

Play2win
03-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I did but I took him off, he is not bad...jhns though, I had to put him back on, he is just too much for me

honestly it annoys me so much that either side of the camps derail threads anymore

I used to think putting some of these guys on ignore would make the thread seem a little helter-skelter, but, strangely, it made the thread make a hell of a lot more sense. ;D

strafen
03-03-2010, 02:55 PM

honestly it annoys me so much that either side of the camps derail threads anymoreI appreciate that, man.
It's one thing coming here, debating, and disagreeing, it's quite another making it a habit to come here to bitch, moan, attack and insult people as the way of participating in debates.

While what I say may not be agreeable to some people, at least I give room for discussion and I try the best I can to add value to my discussions.

I do have a pet-peeve for people whose only agenda is to constantly go after the same people over and over to just invite trouble.

People need to remember that for any action, espect a reaction. Usually worse than the original one.
That said, having to put people on my ignore list has cut the amount of fightings people try to invite me to.

Just so that people know, here's my elite ignore list.
bowtown is the senior member of them all

Ignore List
baja bowtown Dagmar Play2Win ThatOneDenverMooseGuy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jhns
03-03-2010, 02:58 PM

LOL

See, good entertainment. "I hate people that derail threads even though I have been doing it all day!"

Not that he started derailing it. He put me on ignore for being like the 10th person to say something about a subject and claimed I derailed the thread. He then does the same thing. How can people not find this stuff funny?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Victim card: Played.

Rabb
03-03-2010, 03:00 PM
I appreciate that, man.
It's one thing coming here, debating, and disagreeing, it's quite another making it a habit to come here to b****, moan, attack and insult people as the way of participating in debates.

While what I say may not be agreeable to some people, at least I give room for discussion and I try the best I can to add value to my discussions.

I do have a pet-peeve for people whose only agenda is to constantly go after the same people over and over to just invite trouble.

People need to remember that for any action, espect a reaction. Usually worse than the original one.
That said, having to put people on my ignore list has cut the amount of fightings people try to invite me to.

Ignore List
baja bowtown Dagmar Play2Win ThatOneDenverMooseGuy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that is exactly it, I had a TON of people on ignore after last off season because the line in the sand BS about the new team was just too much

now it is at the point where I agree 100% with what you said, it just ruins the place when the same people constantly seem to go after the same people...and I don't even care what the thread is about, they do it

jhns
ThatOneDenverMooseGuy:

So, have you found one of my many posts about Elvis to Miami yet? I would love to see what my opinion on the subject was.

Edit: Oops, sorry drag. Quoted him right after saying I wouldn't. It is gone now.

bowtown

http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/cat-saying-hooray.jpg

TheDave
03-03-2010, 03:02 PM
As long as no one signs him to a contract that pays him a $15 mil per year bonus if he plays more that 3 games a year in Denver... Then we are good to go.

bowtown
03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
As long as no one signs him to a contract that pays him a $15 mil per year bonus if he plays more that 3 games a year in Denver... Then we are good to go.

I can't figure out if this is still possible or not. I keep hearing conflicting reports about the loophole either being closed, or at least technically closed, due to the league not approving those contracts anymore. I wish I could get for sure answer one way or the other.

Mogulseeker
03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Is Dumervil's middle name really "Kool"?

TheDave
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
I can't figure out if this is still possible or not. I keep hearing conflicting reports about the loophole either being closed, or at least technically closed, due to the league not approving those contracts anymore. I wish I could get for sure answer one way or the other.

According to SI they are still legal...

Poison pills are a completely legal and acceptable way to acquire tendered players in the NFL. An arbitrator ruled so in a grievance the Seahawks filed in 2005 after the Minnesota Vikings snuck a fast one past Seattle to secure All-Pro left guard Steve Hutchinson. The Seahawks quickly returned the favor by inserting their own poison pill to steal Nate Burleson from the Vikings. Yet amazingly, even though two players of that caliber were acquired in such a manner, there has not been another poison pill acquisition.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/03/03/tender/index.html#ixzz0h9dSZMad

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 03:12 PM

They are still legal. Everyone wants it taken out but that is something that a new CBA would have to address.

Dagmar
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/cat-saying-hooray.jpg

Woo hoo!!! While drag is constantly lumped in with BF7 and Bob I actually like that group.

*happy dance*

bowtown
03-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Is Dumervil's middle name really "Kool"?

Yes it is... and my man crush grows deeper.

gyldenlove
03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
They are still legal. Everyone wants it taken out but that is something that a new CBA would have to address.

Until the league has the supreme courts word that they are a single entity and therefore not subject to antitrust laws they can't take out the poison pill, the union will scream collusion right away and it will be easy to make that case.

chaz
03-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Something about if he played more than two games in the state of Washington his contract would increase.

I thought the Vikes put a clause in the contract stating Hutch would be the highest paid OL on the team...which was impossible for Seattle to match because of Walter Jones' contract. Either way, poison pills are bitchy.

scorpio
03-03-2010, 04:48 PM
I thought the Vikes put a clause in the contract stating Hutch would be the highest paid OL on the team...which was impossible for Seattle to match because of Walter Jones' contract. Either way, poison pills are b****y.

Yeah I didn't remember that part. Here we go:

To match the deal, though, the Vikings will have to swallow hard. Beyond the size of the total payout and a total of $5.25 million in guarantees, are two devious provisions.

The first would guarantee the entire contract, all $49 million, if Burleson plays five or more games in the state of Minnesota in any season of the contract. The Vikings, of course, play home games in Minneapolis, at the Metrodome there. The second bizarre provision would guarantee the full contract if Burleson is paid more on average per year than all of the Minnesota running backs combined. At least for now, the averages of the Vikings' tailbacks fall well shy of the $7 million average of the Burleson offer sheet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2383020

Cito Pelon
03-03-2010, 05:29 PM

It was beyond my acumen. But I'm slow.

Cito Pelon
03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I read that thread. There wasn't much jumping off the deep end. People where just doing what message boards are for speculating. No one was claiming it was a done deal that he was Miami bound. I pointed out if there ever was a off-season to use poison pills this would be the one for it. The tendering him for the extra third doesn't mean he is safe, it just means we get more in return if we can't match a offer. The only way I will think he is safe is if he signs a contract with us. Till then anything is possible. The fact that there is no CBA makes me feel better about our RFA's then the tender amount.

Seems to me there was.

Cito Pelon
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Dude, put this guy on your ignore list.
Outrageous!

I've noticed over the years that the best posters always have the best sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation.

Cito Pelon
03-03-2010, 05:51 PM
According to SI they are still legal...

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ross_tucker/03/03/tender/index.html#ixzz0h9dSZMad

Yeah, but how often has that pill been played? Once?

cutthemdown
03-03-2010, 06:00 PM

you could say something like if you play more then 6 games a yr in the state of colo your salary for the whole contract is garaunteed.

That way Denver can't match your 6 yr 60 million dollar deal with 10 mil upfront etc etc. Because no way do you commit 60 million garaunteed to one guy. That is what Vikes did to seahaks, or something along those lines.

cutthemdown
03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah, but how often has that pill been played? Once?

Besides only non playoff teams can make offers early. Playoff teams have to sit it out. It's crazy rules.

Broncos can tender all these guys, then go after players. All while teams like Chargers and Pats have to wait and see who they lose.

Also though Broncos may not feel to bad about a first for Marshal. Hes really good and physical but has some baggage and sometimes drops some balls. He's no Steady Eddie or Rod Smith in terms of being a team player. But I bet Broncos wouldn't mind a first. Especially in a deep draft for defense.

You got doom and ayers to work with. Broncos could use a couple high picks to go after help at DE and DT. We got some studs at those spots and people have no idea what a 3-4 can start doing in denver. We forgot because its been so long.

Guys like Dj Williams get better thats for sure. A big inside linebacker would be nice also.

NFLBRONCO
03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't see how 1 and a 3 is so high priced for a legit pass rusher and that its a lock he's not going anywhere. I would think teams would trip over themselves to land him.

2KBack
03-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I don't think Dumervil is irreplaceable. He is pretty one dimensional, even if he is really good at that one dimension. I really like him, but I don't think I would break anything is some other team decided to break the bank on him and we recieved a 1st and third in this draft.

Mogulseeker
03-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I don't think Dumervil is irreplaceable. He is pretty one dimensional, even if he is really good at that one dimension. I really like him, but I don't think I would break anything is some other team decided to break the bank on him and we recieved a 1st and third in this draft.

One dimensional? Maybe, but the one dimension is pass-rushing, and a pass rusher of Dumervil's quality is real.

cabronco
03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Besides only non playoff teams can make offers early. Playoff teams have to sit it out. It's crazy rules.

Broncos can tender all these guys, then go after players. All while teams like Chargers and Pats have to wait and see who they lose.

Also though Broncos may not feel to bad about a first for Marshal. Hes really good and physical but has some baggage and sometimes drops some balls. He's no Steady Eddie or Rod Smith in terms of being a team player. But I bet Broncos wouldn't mind a first. Especially in a deep draft for defense.

You got doom and ayers to work with. Broncos could use a couple high picks to go after help at DE and DT. We got some studs at those spots and people have no idea what a 3-4 can start doing in denver. We forgot because its been so long.

Guys like Dj Williams get better thats for sure. A big inside linebacker would be nice also.

You mean a Lb like Rolando McClain at 6' 4 255 lbs. Im thinking he will be our first round pick. I would like that or trade back , so we can adress other needs as well.

thumpc
03-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't see how 1 and a 3 is so high priced for a legit pass rusher and that its a lock he's not going anywhere. I would think teams would trip over themselves to land him.
I agree. Thats very cheap for the most productive pass rusher in the league. He'll be gone in March.

~Crash~
03-03-2010, 08:24 PM

and you can go back to putting you head in the sand . Marshall is gone for a first round pick now tell me again how all of McD first draft picks are beasts .. good luck with trading proven talent for one draft pick .

If I was a team that drafted in the high part of the draft say in the 25 or so and up I would be all smiles giving up that pick for Marshall .

~Crash~
03-03-2010, 08:29 PM
You flaming moron. If you aren't complaining about Orton, you're b****ing about Dumervil going to the Dolphins because McD let Nolan go.

Gimme a break.

oh did you hear moose head is calling someone a moron being consent is most important him . we are piss ants and he will tell you how to think because he gives you permission.

bpc
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I hope he signs his long term deal so I can get my authentic #92 jersey in orange!

strafen
03-03-2010, 09:06 PM
One dimensional? Maybe, but the one dimension is pass-rushing, and a pass rusher of Dumervil's quality is real.

And it's also a good thing to have.

Dagmar
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
oh did you hear moose head is calling someone a moron being consent is most important him .

What??

cutthemdown
03-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Well its a lot to give up for a pass rusher who isn't very good at run stopping or coverage. It's about as much as Broncos could do really. They will just have to see what happens. Broncos could be working on a long term deal right now and make all other teams interest moot.

Cito Pelon
03-03-2010, 10:17 PM

Elvis you break the bank for. He's a rare talent.

broncswin
03-03-2010, 10:17 PM
This guy needs to stay...make it happen

2KBack
03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Elvis you break the bank for. He's a rare talent.

I figured that wouldn't be popular. I stand by it though. I really like Dumervil, so it's not like I'm saying I want him gone. I just think he is being overrated a bit by the board. I don't like the idea of breaking the bank for him personally.

strafen
03-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I figured that wouldn't be popular. I stand by it though. I really like Dumervil, so it's not like I'm saying I want him gone. I just think he is being overrated a bit by the board. I don't like the idea of breaking the bank for him personally.Is he overrated or an overachiever?
Have you checked his stats in sacks since he came into the league?
Who do you want to replace a guy like that with?

2KBack
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
He is an elite specialist. In my opinion you break the bank on complete players. It's not like I don't want him on the team, so I'm not LOOKING to replace him. My argument is that if someone wants to make him one of the higher paid defenders in the league, I would take the picks and not be to upset about it. Try to make up for the loss with a couple guys that may not be as good at getting to the passer, but might be more solid against the run as well.

But again, I'd like to see if Doom might make some strides in his second year as a OLB. I just don't want to see any 40 millions dollar bonuses until I know he isn't just going to rush straight upfield letting the RB run right into the gap.

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 10:48 PM
He is an elite specialist. In my opinion you break the bank on complete players. It's not like I don't want him on the team, so I'm not LOOKING to replace him. My argument is that if someone wants to make him one of the higher paid defenders in the league, I would take the picks and not be to upset about it. Try to make up for the loss with a couple guys that may not be as good at getting to the passer, but might be more solid against the run as well.

But again, I'd like to see if Doom might make some strides in his second year as a OLB. I just don't want to see any 40 millions dollar bonuses until I know he isn't just going to rush straight upfield letting the RB run right into the gap.

blah blah blah. Guys like him make big bucks to rush the passer. You tell me out of these four numbers which one is Dumervil. 39.5, 52, 43, and 40.5 Those are the sack totals of four of the best pass-rushers in the NFL. The odds of replacing him are not very good. You still are going to be looking at multiple players to do what he does on top of what he doesn't do.

Cito Pelon
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM
I figured that wouldn't be popular. I stand by it though. I really like Dumervil, so it's not like I'm saying I want him gone. I just think he is being overrated a bit by the board. I don't like the idea of breaking the bank for him personally.

Obviously we disagree. Elvis can get 12-15 sacks a year for the next ten years. You don't find guys like that every day. What you do is find a complement for a man like that. Elvis is a rare talent.

strafen
03-03-2010, 10:55 PM

But again, I'd like to see if Doom might make some strides in his second year as a OLB. I just don't want to see any 40 millions dollar bonuses until I know he isn't just going to rush straight upfield letting the RB run right into the gap.I understand what you're saying, but you need to consider the likes of Dwight Freeney, and DeMarcus Ware, guys that make a living wreaking havoc at the line. That's what they get paid good money to do, anything else they can do is icing on the cake...

Cito Pelon
03-03-2010, 11:07 PM
blah blah blah. Guys like him make big bucks to rush the passer. You tell me out of these four numbers which one is dumervil. 39.5, 52, 43, and 40.5 those are the sack totals of four of the best pass-rushers in the nfl. The odds of replacing him are not very good. You still are going to be looking at multiple players to do what he does on top of what he doesn't do.

52?

2KBack
03-03-2010, 11:08 PM
blah blah blah. Guys like him make big bucks to rush the passer. You tell me out of these four numbers which one is Dumervil. 39.5, 52, 43, and 40.5 Those are the sack totals of four of the best pass-rushers in the NFL. The odds of replacing him are not very good. You still are going to be looking at multiple players to do what he does on top of what he doesn't do.

Blah, Blah Blah, individual achievements. Do you realize that the number one pass rusher on 7 of the top 10 defenses last season had 11 or fewer sacks? Of the top 4 defenses only GB had a player even get 10. Sack numbers are nice, but it's about more than that. It's about being a complete defense, and it's obvious that 100 million dollar contracts aren't necessary to build said defense.

Cito Pelon
03-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Blah, Blah Blah, individual achievements. Do you realize that the number one pass rusher on 7 of the top 10 defenses last season had 11 or fewer sacks? Of the top 4 defenses only GB had a player even get 10. Sack numbers are nice, but it's about more than that. It's about being a complete defense, and it's obvious that 100 million dollar contracts aren't necessary to build said defense.

Maybe you should rephrase your conclusions.

DBroncos4life
03-03-2010, 11:27 PM

lol because there are so many players running around with that figure... You don't even know what Dumervil is asking for.

I can tell you that the 09 Super Bowl champs had a double digit sack player. The 08 had two, 07 had two. Hell the Colts are the last team I can remember without a player with double digit sacks. Mathis had 9.5 that year. In no way shape or form are you hurt by paying a person to rush the passer.

2KBack
03-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Maybe you should rephrase your conclusions.

how so? I think I've been pretty clear with my opinion, I'm not sure why it's become such a fight. I've stated several times that I'd like Doom to be here, but I don't feel that for that to happen Denver must "break the bank." My reasoning being that he is still a bit of a liability against the run.

I don't know how I can simplify it further. I want Doom, I like Doom, I'd rather have Doom, I'd rather not HAVE to replace Doom. Yet, if we lose Doom because someone wants to overpay him (IMO), I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

NFLBRONCO
03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Well its a lot to give up for a pass rusher who isn't very good at run stopping or coverage. It's about as much as Broncos could do really. They will just have to see what happens. Broncos could be working on a long term deal right now and make all other teams interest moot.

I see what your saying but, Doom is a team player and a guy that can at least rush the passer even with a crappy DL I think he's worth signing him longterm. Can you see him on a D with a great DL but, lacks a pass rush guy they'd be willing to pay the price.

2KBack
03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
lol because there are so many players running around with that figure... You don't even know what Dumervil is asking for.

I can tell you that the 09 Super Bowl champs had a double digit sack player. The 08 had two, 07 had two. Hell the Colts are the last team I can remember without a player with double digit sacks. Mathis had 9.5 that year. In no way shape or form are you hurt by paying a person to rush the passer.

It was an exaggeration, but Ware got a 78 million dollar contract with 40 million guaranteed. That is too much.

Cito Pelon
03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
how so? I think I've been pretty clear with my opinion, I'm not sure why it's become such a fight. I've stated several times that I'd like Doom to be here, but I don't feel that for that to happen Denver must "break the bank." My reasoning being that he is still a bit of a liability against the run.

I don't know how I can simplify it further. I want Doom, I like Doom, I'd rather have Doom, I'd rather not HAVE to replace Doom. Yet, if we lose Doom because someone wants to overpay him (IMO), I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

You sure made it clear there. Just f''ing around with you a little bit since the board was getting a little dull.

Mentioning dull, where is Mock? I saw his "Dead" thread a few days ago then it disappeared. What's the story?

DBroncos4life
03-04-2010, 12:02 AM
It was an exaggeration, but Ware got a 78 million dollar contract with 40 million guaranteed. That is too much.

This is coming from the same team that traded a first and a third for Roy Williams. The Cowboys don't set the market for players. There is no reason to believe he will sign for that much with any team, just like there is no reason to think that is what he is looking for contract wise. Dumervil will get paid and paid well but I doubt it's anything like Ware got.

2KBack
03-04-2010, 12:44 AM
This is coming from the same team that traded a first and a third for Roy Williams. The Cowboys don't set the market for players. There is no reason to believe he will sign for that much with any team, just like there is no reason to think that is what he is looking for contract wise. Dumervil will get paid and paid well but I doubt it's anything like Ware got.

Then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm a frugal fellow, Doom deserves an extension and a raise, but I get the sweats when people want to simply pay the man whatever he wants.

You sure made it clear there. Just f''ing around with you a little bit since the board was getting a little dull.

I can respect that

Baba Booey
03-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Good to hear.

BroncoMan4ever
03-04-2010, 01:36 AM

poison pill means a stipulation in a contract that makes it difficult or unlikely that a players prior team would be able to match.

for instance, giving a lot of guaranteed money, but making the contract that it pays out the majority of that money immediately.

if i remember correctly with the NHL around a decade ago the NY Rangers went after Sakic hard, and gave him a crazy deal at the time, which would make him the highest paid player in the league. i think the details were 21 million for 3 years, but with 15 million of that money as a signing bonus and actual yearly salary of only 2 million for each of the 3 years.

bowtown
03-04-2010, 05:24 AM
poison pill means a stipulation in a contract that makes it difficult or unlikely that a players prior team would be able to match.

for instance, giving a lot of guaranteed money, but making the contract that it pays out the majority of that money immediately.

if i remember correctly with the NHL around a decade ago the NY Rangers went after Sakic hard, and gave him a crazy deal at the time, which would make him the highest paid player in the league. i think the details were 21 million for 3 years, but with 15 million of that money as a signing bonus and actual yearly salary of only 2 million for each of the 3 years.

It's more than that though. It's not just a huge contract that would be hard for the other team to match, it's actually a piece of fine print (poison pill) included in the contract that would make it impossible for the other team to match... for example a poison pill Miami could put in a contract for Doom would be, if Doom starts 2 games in the city of Denver next year, his entire 80 mil salary would be guaranteed and paid immediately. Obviously Denver would never be able to match that.