PDA

View Full Version : I doubt we draft Dez Bryant

JCMElway
03-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Just saw this tidbit on yahoo. No way McDaniels puts up with someone like this. (If this has already been posted feel free to merge!

INDIANAPOLIS – Former Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant is emerging as the favorite for the most dubious title in the NFL Draft.

Three sources with direct knowledge of Bryant from his days in college, where he missed the final 10 games last season because of lying to NCAA investigators, said Bryant’s antics were “consistently irresponsible.”

Bryant is expected to be a first-round pick in April. Some draftniks have predicted that he will go in the top 10, although the consensus appears to be the top 15. Whoever takes him does so at their own peril.

“I wouldn’t draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games,” one source said.

A second source said Bryant’s reputation was earned because he was consistently late to team activities. That included showing up late for games.

“We’re not just talking about being a little late for warmups, but like being late for the actual game,” a source said with a chuckle. “When you start to hear some of the stories of there, you go, ‘He did what?’ ”

Bryant recently defended himself against questions about his past by claiming he is a “great person” in an interview with NFL Network. While that may be a stretch, his episodes of irresponsible behavior aren’t considered malicious.

“Dez isn’t evil, he’s not trying to hurt anybody. He’s just goofy,” another source said. “But it does make you think, ‘If he’s like this in college, what’s it going to be like when he gets paid?’ ”

The NCAA investigation of Bryant initially revolved around illicit benefits Bryant received while in college. Among the items the NCAA examined were cell phones Bryant had for himself and his girlfriend that were being paid for by another party, although Bryant claimed he paid cash to the other person.

The investigation eventually led to a 10-game ban by Oklahoma State when Bryant lied to NCAA investigators about his interactions with former NFL star and current NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders.

Pony Boy
03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Dez Bryant is not working out at the Combine after tweaking his hamstring last week. ...
Wow, deja vu alll over again.....

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I doubted it from the beginning, but with this information it looks even less likely.

Of course, this is the same kind of crap that led to Randy Moss slipping a long way... fell all the way out of the top 20.

Taco John
03-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Even if we lost Brandon Marshall, I have doubts that we'd use a first round pick on a WR. I'd think we'd either go LB or DL.

SoDak Bronco
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I agree this probably removes him from our list of players unless his need/upside outweighs the concerns in the minds of McD and X. I really like Sean Witherspoon in the 2nd round for our ILB of the future.

DomCasual
03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
What is it with wide receivers?

strafen
03-01-2010, 10:49 PM
We shouldn't have to draft a WR in the 1st round.
We have more pressing needs than a WR.
That's JMO...

ZONA
03-01-2010, 11:17 PM
We shouldn't have to draft a WR in the 1st round.
We have more pressing needs than a WR.
That's JMO...

I agree. Plus, we got a better WR then Dez and we got him in the 5th round several years ago.

strafen
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I agree. Plus, we got a better WR then Dez and we got him in the 5th round several years ago.We can't afford to go two years in a row and not get an impact defensive player.
At 11th the odds are in our favor...

Popps
03-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Josh McDaniels:

[ ] Wants another head-case WR to deal with.

chrisp
03-02-2010, 02:48 AM
I doubted it from the beginning, but with this information it looks even less likely.

Of course, this is the same kind of crap that led to Randy Moss slipping a long way... fell all the way out of the top 20.

I think that sometimes the guys with these kinds of question marks need to drop a little to give them some motivation.

Top-ten picks get so much money I honestly think its a de-motivating factor: they're set up for life, why put any more effort in? When they slip in the draft they don't get the same guaranteed money (although they still get a lot) but more importantly they get that slap in the face that they're not considered top-tier, top-drawer talent.

Look at Jamarcus Russell - I mean, while he's starting and earning a king's ransom just for going through the motions, how can he not think he's already 'made it'?

People think that maybe teams 'missed' in Randy Moss becuase he turned ot to be so explosive, bu perhaps he's an a-hole from day one if he goes in the top ten? As it was he played with a chip on his shoulder...

Dudeskey
03-02-2010, 04:02 AM
What is it with wide receivers?

??? something about them had Matt Millen coming back year after year

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-02-2010, 06:19 AM
I think that sometimes the guys with these kinds of question marks need to drop a little to give them some motivation.

Top-ten picks get so much money I honestly think its a de-motivating factor: they're set up for life, why put any more effort in? When they slip in the draft they don't get the same guaranteed money (although they still get a lot) but more importantly they get that slap in the face that they're not considered top-tier, top-drawer talent.

Look at Jamarcus Russell - I mean, while he's starting and earning a king's ransom just for going through the motions, how can he not think he's already 'made it'?

People think that maybe teams 'missed' in Randy Moss becuase he turned ot to be so explosive, bu perhaps he's an a-hole from day one if he goes in the top ten? As it was he played with a chip on his shoulder...

Well said, and very accurate. As for Jabba the Russell... Yeah, he thinks he's already made it because he has. He's just waiting for his contract to be up so he can take his money and open up a ****load of Krispy Kreme stores, then eat himself out of business.

Rohirrim
03-02-2010, 07:51 AM
90% of the mocks I've seen have the Broncos taking Dez. Aint gonna happen. ;D

Rabb
03-02-2010, 07:54 AM
A lot of people knocked Harvin last year also, that worked out ok

oubronco
03-02-2010, 07:57 AM
No to Dez Bryant and Yes to Dan Williams

TheDave
03-02-2010, 08:02 AM
I agree this probably removes him from our list of players unless his need/upside outweighs the concerns in the minds of McD and X. I really like Sean Witherspoon in the 2nd round for our ILB of the future.

If we want Weatherspoon were going to have to use #11 to get him... I think his performance at the combine assured him as a top 20 selection.

cmhargrove
03-02-2010, 08:22 AM
No to Dez Bryant and Yes to Dan Williams

I live in Oklahoma and am an Oklahoma State fan, and I still don't want us to draft Dez. I mean, he is a great player, but just not worth a #11 pick when we still need so much help on the lines.

I would rather take Dan Williams, or even Trent Williams at #11, because both would probably influence the game more than Dez at this point.

If Dez is one the board and someone really wants him - trade down. We could do really well with a low first rounder and another second round pick.

ColoradoBuff
03-02-2010, 08:28 AM

I don't think Spoon gets past Pittsburgh or New Orleans in the 1st round. Would love to have a second pick in the 20's in case he is there.

Triplelefthook
03-02-2010, 08:58 AM
never understood the "draft gurus" predicting us to draft Bryant. i certainly didn't know how they could predict this BEFORE Marshall got traded. And if you are making the assumption that Marshall is going to be traded then your mock should include two first rounders for denver.

picking at 11, there are only two real options for us imo - Dan Williams or Mike Iupati. Sign a Center in FA, draft another one in the later rounds. Take care of our tranches RIGHT NOW when there is the perfect draft class to address our needs.

Rohirrim
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Judging by Xanders' interview, and how he stated that character issues would be a top priority, I doubt Dez Bryant is even on their list.

strafen
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
A lot of people knocked Harvin last year also, that worked out okYeah, I remember reading people's comments about him.
He's had a good rookie season.
The problem is, WR wasn't a priority for us last year, and it's again not this year...

Rabb
03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I remember reading people's comments about him.
He's had a good rookie season.
The problem is, WR wasn't a priority for us last year, and it's again not this year...

agree

Pick Six
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Dez Bryant will cause more headaches than he is worth...

Baba Booey
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
McClain or Williams

*WARHORSE*
03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
McClain or Williams

McClain is going to be a bust.

Say no to McClain.

The guy is slow as Christmas.

N..........O.

Williams I could go for, but not at 11.

Gimme Morgan.

Little bit light for our style of DE, but he crushes the run and can get after the QB. We can help him add weight.

Irish Stout
03-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Burger Bill thinks these are the guys we're looking at. I disagree on Claussen and Dez Bryant.

Denver

Dez Bryant (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25715), receiver, Oklahoma State: Bryant did not run at the combine due to a hamstring injury. Still, Denver is keeping a close eye on this game-breaker. If Brandon Marshall is traded, Bryant, the jewel of the receiver class, could be heading to Denver at No. 11. But there are some off-field concerns that could make Bryant a risk. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-bryantrisk022810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Jimmy Clausen (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25716), quarterback, Notre Dame: Clausen is a long shot. However, he fits coach Josh McDaniels’ system. Denver has other needs, but if Clausen slips past Washington (No. 4) and Buffalo (No. 9), Denver could be tempted to answer its long-term needs at quarterback.

Terrence Cody (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=24887), defensive tackle, Alabama: The Broncos need a sturdy nose tackle as they enter the second season of using the 3-4 defense. Cody, who slimmed down 16 pounds from the Senior Bowl, has a chance to be a dominant force. If he is available in the second round, Denver could make a run at him.

Mike Iupati (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=24896), guard, Idaho: Denver is looking to get bigger on the offensive line. The 6-foot-5, 331-pound Iupati would do the trick. He is rising up draft boards. He may not be on the board in the second round, but if he is, Denver could snatch him up.

Rolando McClain (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2010&id=25721), linebacker, Alabama: This is a legitimate option at No. 11. McClain was impressive in his meetings with teams at the combine. He is a leader and would be a perfect middle linebacker in Denver.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest

barryr
03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
You do have to take into consideration bad reps of players being BS, teams throwing around hoping to make guys drop so they can take him. Happens a lot.

strafen
03-02-2010, 03:09 PM
McClain is going to be a bust.

Say no to McClain.

The guy is slow as Christmas.

N..........O.

Williams I could go for, but not at 11.

Gimme Morgan.

Little bit light for our style of DE, but he crushes the run and can get after the QB. We can help him add weight.Are you serious? :D

broncos-rock
03-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Cecil Lamey was on the fan and said Broncos are definitely interested in Dez Bryant. Now that could all be a smoke screen but who knows!!!!

Bigdawg26
03-03-2010, 07:15 AM
1st round- Rolando McClain ILB
2nd round- Terrence Cody NG
3rd round- Maurice Pouncey C
or
1st round- Dan Williams NG
2nd round- Maurice Pouncey C
3rd round- Jerry Hughes OLB

barryr
03-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Take the BPA no matter the position, which will likely be a defensive player at #11 anyway.

Beantown Bronco
03-03-2010, 07:30 AM
1st round- Rolando McClain ILB
2nd round- Terrence Cody NG
3rd round- Maurice Pouncey C

Here's some footage of me and my buddies celebrating at the mere thought of this scenario playing out.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u09MzL0iIYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u09MzL0iIYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Here's some footage of me and my buddies celebrating at the mere thought of this scenario playing out.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u09MzL0iIYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u09MzL0iIYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Jesus. Never again.

worm
03-03-2010, 08:50 AM

If I like this version better....does that make me a racist?

Triplelefthook
03-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I really like the idea of drafting Dan Williams #1, then the Center from Florida #2 if he is still available.

TheDave
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
I say we take Williams at #11 and Weatherspoon @ #14...:stirstir: