PDA

View Full Version : Shanny after Sproles, Peppers

bronco militia
03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Welcome to Redskins west :rofl:

Redskins will bid on Sproles too
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 1, 2010 12:18 PM ET
It might be faster to just write a post on the big-name free agents the Redskins aren't going after.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Redskins will be "among those" in the bidding for Sproles. Washington also reportedly wants Julius Peppers.

A player being tied to the Redskins will help an agent drive a player's price up, so some skepticism is warranted when their interest is floated. Then again, Washington really does go after most top names.

Washington needs some explosive talent on offense in any form, and Mike Shanahan watched Sproles up close in the AFC West for years.

If Sproles did arrive, we wonder how Clinton Portis would embrace the move. As long as Portis problem heeds the message of Lavar Arrington's epic rant, it shouldn't be a problem.

cmhargrove
03-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Dear God, Peppers and Haynesworth on the same payroll?

How would you like writing out those checks every month?

Beantown Bronco
03-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Dear God, Peppers and Haynesworth on the same payroll?

How would you like writing out those checks every month?

If it meant I got to switch bank accounts with Daniel Snyder, I'd find a way to suffer through it.

oubronco
03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Go Shanny Go

strafen
03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I don't think Sproles going to Washington will affect Portis role with the team at all...

bronco militia
03-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't think Sproles going to Washington will affect Portis role with the team at all...

IMO portis won't be on that team much longer. Shanny gets rid of guys that skip his offseason workouts.

strafen
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
IMO portis won't be on that team much longer. Shanny gets rid of guys that skip his offseason workouts.I know Portis left our team a little disgruntled about it.
Did he ever publicly bash Shanahan, or just the town?
He called out the fans for still waiting for the next Elway and that we were all about Elway, or some sort of stuff like that...

bronco militia
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Did he ever publicly bash Shanahan, or just the town?

nahh.....Portis got what he wanted.

Cito Pelon
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
I see Shanny picked up Anthony Alridge, so why does he need Sproles?

bowtown
03-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Portis will play for Washington for 3 games, go in IR and retire at the end of the season. I'm full of predictions today.

bowtown
03-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Well, because Sproles has proven himself in the NFL and Aldridge has proven he can go undrafted and be cut by multiple teams... just a guess.

Florida_Bronco
03-01-2010, 09:48 AM

Wasn't Alridge already on the Redskin's roster?

dbfan21
03-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Shanny's affinity for big-name FA's + Snyder's ego/checkbook = Lots of activity this offseason. This should be fun to watch!

bowtown
03-01-2010, 09:57 AM

He was on the practice squad at the end of the season, but Shanahan did sign him to a future contract last month.

Cito Pelon
03-01-2010, 09:59 AM

The way I'm seeing it, Shanny hired on Jan 5, Alrdige resigned on Jan 6.

broncosteven
03-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Peppers would be a good pickup for him, as long as he doesn't show up in a limo with strippers and get in a fight at the local Ihop.

Sproles would do well to go to a team that runs screens, Shanny didn't run screens unless he was down big from what I remember.

Popps
03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
How ironic would it be after a decade of Kavika Pittmans ... Shanahan goes out and lands a premiere defensive end.

Garcia Bronco
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Shanny's affinity for big-name FA's + Snyder's ego/checkbook = Lots of activity this offseason. This should be fun to watch!

And probably the same results.

broncosteven
03-01-2010, 10:59 AM
How ironic would it be after a decade of Kavika Pittmans ... Shanahan goes out and lands a premiere defensive end.

I thought we had some very good DE's up until the last couple years. I still think not resigning Keith Traylor really hurt the line because he could occupy 2 guys and allow others to get the QB. We haven't had a DT like him since.

Maybe if Shanny didn't hit on Alfred Williams early he would have been less inclined to take chances on projects on the DL. Getting stuck drafting in the mid 20's every year seemed to make him even more desperate to hit on an injured project.

SportinOne
03-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I just realized.... Shanahan + Snyder = No free agents are safe..

This could be really good or really bad for the Skins. I don't think they will ever win a super bowl, even with the Mastermind, but they will most likely be pretty successful albeit at the lowest efficiency in terms of player salary/wins in the league.

underrated29
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
right we let alridge go in TC or whatever, and he signed on with the skins a little bit later.

Then recently shanny extended him out.

Sproles will not end up in Wash.

ChSuperStar
03-01-2010, 11:40 AM

This could be really good or really bad for the Skins. I don't think they will ever win a super bowl, even with the Mastermind, but they will most likely be pretty successful albeit at the lowest efficiency in terms of player salary/wins in the league.

Shanny + Snyder + No cap = Lets go buy the championship .... Yankees style

Hogan11
Portis is finished

bpc

Couldn't be THAT bad, because they've already done it unsuccessfully over the past 10 years.

Shanahan will have a system in place which I think sets this apart. The defense is already stocked with options to compete right now.

NFC East is going to be in trouble.

BTW, I think Sproles could be a BEAST in Washington. CP is slowing down, doubt he makes it through the system. Imagine Quintin Griffin could actually play consistently, catch the ball, and hold onto the rock... that's what Sproles is. This could be a devastating movement for them.

I'm not a huge fan of Peppers but you can't argue the talent he has, especially when paired with A. Haynesworth, Andre Carter, and Orakpo.

I don't think Washington is that far away from being able to win consistently in the NFC. I probably like Campbell more than most. They'll solve their LT issue in the 1st round, most likely picking up Okung from OSU.

Imagine if McCoy or Suh fell to them on the DL? Wow. They could always wrap back around and aim for a guy like Charlie Brown in round 2 from USC. He's also be a perfect fit at LT for them.

Scary.

azbroncfan
03-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Peppers will be a FA bust if shanny really likes him. Whatever DL he likes in FA turns into a big turd.

Beantown Bronco
03-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Peppers will be a FA bust if shanny really likes him. Whatever DL he likes in FA turns into a big turd.

Bertrand Berry disagrees.

Garcia Bronco
03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Couldn't be THAT bad, because they've already done it unsuccessfully over the past 10 years.

Shanahan will have a system in place which I think sets this apart. The defense is already stocked with options to compete right now.

NFC East is going to be in trouble.

BTW, I think Sproles could be a BEAST in Washington. CP is slowing down, doubt he makes it through the system. Imagine Quintin Griffin could actually play consistently, catch the ball, and hold onto the rock... that's what Sproles is. This could be a devastating movement for them.

I'm not a huge fan of Peppers but you can't argue the talent he has, especially when paired with A. Haynesworth, Andre Carter, and Orakpo.

I don't think Washington is that far away from being able to win consistently in the NFC. I probably like Campbell more than most. They'll solve their LT issue in the 1st round, most likely picking up Okung from OSU.

Imagine if McCoy or Suh fell to them on the DL? Wow. They could always wrap back around and aim for a guy like Charlie Brown in round 2 from USC. He's also be a perfect fit at LT for them.

Scary.

Shanahan has never coached in the NFC East. It's not the finesse ball we play out here. He's going to have a real hard time IMO.

bpc
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
I wonder if Shanny wins a super bowl, how fast some of his critics claim he sold out and went to a place where he could buy it.

ha ha. It will be funny to watch it all unfold.

Br0nc0Buster
03-01-2010, 12:17 PM
I would be skeptical giving a ton of coin to Peppers

My guess is if Washington gets him he will end up like all their other FAs.....a big dissapointment

bpc
03-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Shanahan has never coached in the NFC East. It's not the finesse ball we play out here. He's going to have a real hard time IMO.

Shanahan had a 11-5 record against the NFC East over his career in Denver. I think he'll be fine. Giants and Eagles are coming back down to Earth over the past couple years. Cowboys have Wade PHillips at HC. I don't think it will be that hard for him to climb up the standings. Once again, the talent is in place. If Shanahan could make Jake Plummer a winner, he'll do wonders with a guy like Campbell who actually has throwing talent.

DBroncos4life
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Shanahan didn't go out of his way to sign Alridge. He was already picked up by the Skins. Two times in fact. Shanahan just extended the contract the Skins gave him before because it was due to expire.

bowtown
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Bertrand Berry disagrees.

I think he sprained his ankle while doing it though.

NFLBRONCO
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM
This Wash era will be interesting for Shanny I expect him to do well. Having an owner that will buy him anything can he win SB.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
good, i am all for him wasting Snyder's money on a DE that is past his prime and was streaky in his prime, and a RB that can't handle the load of being a feature back. these are 2 moves that are going to illustrate what he was doing wrong in Denver. instead of building through the draft and making a team that will be good for years to come, all he does is go after overpriced and in many cases past their prime Free Agents that do nothing but hurt the cap and at best are a good 1 to 2 year band aid for the team.

bowtown
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
This Wash era will be interesting for Shanny I expect him to do well. Having an owner that will buy him anything can he win SB.

It seems to me that for most of his tenure here, he had an owner that would buy him most anything he asked for. I love Shanahan, but boy did he ask for some crappy things along the way.

NFLBRONCO
03-01-2010, 02:52 PM
It seems to me that for most of his tenure here, he had an owner that would buy him most anything he asked for. I love Shanahan, but boy did he ask for some crappy things along the way.

Yeah but, Synder is in a complete different ballpark money wise. I think the interesting part will be what things he does different in Wash or will he stick to Denver way of doing things. I would hope he'd alter a few things but, we'll see.

bpc
03-01-2010, 02:54 PM
good, i am all for him wasting Snyder's money on a DE that is past his prime and was streaky in his prime, and a RB that can't handle the load of being a feature back. these are 2 moves that are going to illustrate what he was doing wrong in Denver. instead of building through the draft and making a team that will be good for years to come, all he does is go after overpriced and in many cases past their prime Free Agents that do nothing but hurt the cap and at best are a good 1 to 2 year band aid for the team.

Hmmm... he still has the 4th overall pick to build through the draft. A 2nd round pick as well to land a potential QB.

Julius Peppers has been automatic at getting double sacks. He's recorded them in all but two years of his career. Now he moves to a 3-4 where a guy like Doom when from 7, 8 sacks a year to 17. Mmmmm...... I think you might be wrong here.

As for Sproles, he's a Quinton Griffin clone, only better. If you watched Griffin in Denver's offense, he had the talent to produce and did for a short period before fumble-itis ruined his career. Getting a guy who is quicker to the hole and holds onto the ball better in Shanahan's blocking scheme is going to be a major mis-match.

montrose
03-01-2010, 03:01 PM
So if I told you two years ago Shanny would have Haynesworth and Peppers on his DL, what would you think? Washington going after Peppers isn't too suprising, with or without Shanny.

elsid13
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM

This isn't the NFC East of the 80s. Philly is far for power team and Dallas is pretty soft too. Beside, when you first goal is to establish the run and stop the run like Shanahan wants to do it far for finesse ball.

bpc
03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
So if I told you two years ago Shanny would have Haynesworth and Peppers on his DL, what would you think? Washington going after Peppers isn't too suprising, with or without Shanny.

Yup. I would say he's getting two guys that have been to 9 or 10 pro bowls, and voted to the all-pro team 4 times. Mike's gonna be fine and he's going to be in the running for another super bowl in the not so distant future.

elsid13
03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
What I find weird is they are talking about using Peppers at DE in the 3/4 they are putting in. The only thing I can think is that Shanahan and Haslett, are going to run some hybrid scheme like Baltimore.

bpc
03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
What I find weird is they are talking about using Peppers at DE in the 3/4 they are putting in. The only thing I can think is that Shanahan and Haslett, are going to run some hybrid scheme like Baltimore.

THey have Andre Carter, Orakpo, and could have the gigantic athletic Julius Peppers. I'm sure you're going to see Peppers lined up anywhere from the DE, to OLB, to NT, where ever. You're going to have to account for him where ever he's at. That's a great mismatch when you consider they already have the biggest mismatch in Haynesworth.

Scary combination.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Hmmm... he still has the 4th overall pick to build through the draft. A 2nd round pick as well to land a potential QB.

Julius Peppers has been automatic at getting double sacks. He's recorded them in all but two years of his career. Now he moves to a 3-4 where a guy like Doom when from 7, 8 sacks a year to 17. Mmmmm...... I think you might be wrong here.

As for Sproles, he's a Quinton Griffin clone, only better. If you watched Griffin in Denver's offense, he had the talent to produce and did for a short period before fumble-itis ruined his career. Getting a guy who is quicker to the hole and holds onto the ball better in Shanahan's blocking scheme is going to be a major mis-match.

i'm not saying that he can't build through the draft, but he always had that way of building a team. he was more about bringing in higher priced FA who had passed their primes and giving them massive contracts which eventually hurt the cap, while aside from 06 and 08 having mostly terrible draft classes that basically brought the team nothing.

and i agree Sproles is a talented guy, but i don't think the 8 million a season he is going to want, is worth a guy who isn't capable of having 20-25 carries a game. even if they get Sproles, Portis(if he remains in Washington) or another RB will still be a necessity to help him carry the load.

and with Peppers, the comparison to Doom is not appropriate. there is a big difference in moving a guy like Doom who has a body type and skill set that actually fits a 3-4 OLB more than 4-3 DE and was still a young guy moving him to a new position, than it would be for basically the prototype pass rushing 4-3 DE making the same move, especially this late in his career.

i look at the guy and just see a dude looking for a big payday and basically coast the rest of his career. i mean truly if you think about it, how many truly good pass rushers remained a force in their 30s? Reggie White, Strahan, Neil Smith and after those 3, i can't really think of any pass rushing DE that remained elite into their 30s

colonelbeef
03-01-2010, 03:23 PM

you forgot to mention the uncapped shopping spree upcoming. Shanahan's going to have a field day.

colonelbeef
03-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I wonder if Shanny wins a super bowl, how fast some of his critics claim he sold out and went to a place where he could buy it.

ha ha. It will be funny to watch it all unfold.

Redskins will be a surprise this year, can see it coming a mile away.

watermock
03-01-2010, 03:57 PM

WTF do you care? Is't it Snyder's money? Is't it DeAgelos' money?

Isn't it Denver that hasn't offered a single RFA a single contract?

strafen
03-01-2010, 04:01 PM
So if I told you two years ago Shanny would have Haynesworth and Peppers on his DL, what would you think? Washington going after Peppers isn't too suprising, with or without Shanny.Well, Washington since Snyder has been the owner has made a living off going after high-proced FA players.
It's tougher in the NFL to "buy" a championship than in the MLB ala Yankees

They haven't been able to brig the right chemistry to the team.
Perhaps a change in coaching and philosophy would change that...

bpc
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
i'm not saying that he can't build through the draft, but he always had that way of building a team. he was more about bringing in higher priced FA who had passed their primes and giving them massive contracts which eventually hurt the cap, while aside from 06 and 08 having mostly terrible draft classes that basically brought the team nothing.

and i agree Sproles is a talented guy, but i don't think the 8 million a season he is going to want, is worth a guy who isn't capable of having 20-25 carries a game. even if they get Sproles, Portis(if he remains in Washington) or another RB will still be a necessity to help him carry the load.

and with Peppers, the comparison to Doom is not appropriate. there is a big difference in moving a guy like Doom who has a body type and skill set that actually fits a 3-4 OLB more than 4-3 DE and was still a young guy moving him to a new position, than it would be for basically the prototype pass rushing 4-3 DE making the same move, especially this late in his career.

i look at the guy and just see a dude looking for a big payday and basically coast the rest of his career. i mean truly if you think about it, how many truly good pass rushers remained a force in their 30s? Reggie White, Strahan, Neil Smith and after those 3, i can't really think of any pass rushing DE that remained elite into their 30s

How is Shanahan's method of building a team, any different than McDaniels thus far? Who did McDaniels bring in last year? Goodman, Hill, Dawkins, Jordan, Buckhalter, Davis, among others. All in the league over 5, 6, 7 years... some 31 years or older. He didn't give massive contracts for the hell of it. He tried to get players that he thought would help the club. Sometimes they did... Jake Plummer, Champ Bailey, Ed McCaffrey, John Lynch among others. Sometimes they didn't... Dre Bly, Travis Henry, Daryl Gardener, Dale Carter.

Sproles won't get 8 million a year. I would venture to say that he would be lucky to get in the 4 or 5 million a year range. It's quite possible he signs up for a year just to get a chance running in Shanahan's system to boost his contract opportunities next year.

You're insane on the Doom/Peppers arguement. Elvis is relatively undersized for the position at OLB. Not many 5'11", 258 lb OLB's running around and succeeding out there right now. Especially one who hit a 4.9 40 before being drafted. Doom however is special. We'll all admit that. He still isn't great covering space, who knows if he ever will be. His speed indicates it could be a career weakness.

Peppers on the other hand is 6'7", 287lbs, and played college basketball for a top 5 program in the country. He also ran a 4.65 40 coming out of school. And it's not like he's old. He has 4 more seasons in the NFL. He's 29. I think your arguement here is baseless and highly speculative.

chex
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I think Shanahan is such a god, he'll win 5 of the next 6 Super Bowls.

He'll win all 6 only if he feels like it.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 05:10 PM
How is Shanahan's method of building a team, any different than McDaniels thus far? Who did McDaniels bring in last year? Goodman, Hill, Dawkins, Jordan, Buckhalter, Davis, among others. All in the league over 5, 6, 7 years... some 31 years or older. He didn't give massive contracts for the hell of it. He tried to get players that he thought would help the club. Sometimes they did... Jake Plummer, Champ Bailey, Ed McCaffrey, John Lynch among others. Sometimes they didn't... Dre Bly, Travis Henry, Daryl Gardener, Dale Carter.

look at those positions though, those guys you named, Goodman, Hill, Dawkins, Jordan, Buck, and Davis are all for the most part are placeholders and tutors to guys who are young or were brought in to take over in the next few seasons. Goodman has Alphonso and Carter behind him learning. Hill and Dawkins have Barrett, Bruton, and McBath learning behind them. Jordan and Buck have Moreno teamed with them.

there is a difference, because Mike would bring in his older FA players but not have anyone behind those guys learning and prepping to eventually take over. And yes these guys were brought in to help the team now and were given good money to do so, but another major factor in them being here is to pass on their knowledge to their younger teammates and eventual replacements.

You're insane on the Doom/Peppers arguement. Elvis is relatively undersized for the position at OLB. Not many 5'11", 258 lb OLB's running around and succeeding out there right now. Especially one who hit a 4.9 40 before being drafted. Doom however is special. We'll all admit that. He still isn't great covering space, who knows if he ever will be. His speed indicates it could be a career weakness.

Peppers on the other hand is 6'7", 287lbs, and played college basketball for a top 5 program in the country. He also ran a 4.65 40 coming out of school. And it's not like he's old. He has 4 more seasons in the NFL. He's 29. I think your arguement here is baseless and highly speculative.

While Doom isn't exact prototype for an OLB, he is much closer to being a prototype OLB for a 3-4 than he ever was at being a prototype DE in a 4-3. Peppers is the complete opposite of that. He is damn near the perfect specimen to be a dominant 4-3 DE.

and while all his stats and intangibles of being a college basketball player and the speed he had almost a decade ago are intriguing they don't tell the story of the player he is today. the guy has near a decade of experience as a DE in the pros. and he just turned 30, and i can't think of many 30 year old DE's who remained dominant in their 30's and even in his prime he was still streaky. his stats always read he was hot and notched multiple sacks 1 week and was cold for the next 3. the amount of money he wants, coupled with age, and potentially learning a new position is not worth it.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Isn't it Denver that hasn't offered a single RFA a single contract?

how many teams in the league have offered their RFA new contracts? not many. Ware was the last RFA to get a big contract and that was like 6 months ago. teams are all wary right now because of the CBA situation.

if every team in the league had offered out new deals to all their RFA but Denver was the lone team that hadn't, then i agree you would have legit reason to bitch, but right now you are bitching just to bitch about McDaniels and this team

bpc
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I think Shanahan is such a god, he'll win 5 of the next 6 Super Bowls.

He'll win all 6 only if he feels like it.

Hmmm, you aren't really adding anything to this discussion.

Hater?

chex
03-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Hmmm, you aren't really adding anything to this discussion.

Hater?

Hater? Wow, where did you learn such a big, underused word?

*yawn* whatever. You're walking around with a hard on telling everyone who'll listen how awesomely lined up the Redskins are for winning big. Too bad Shanahan couldn't wield such magic the past 10 years. And yeah, I know, two Super Bowls. I know all about them and am grateful, but, you know, that was like, a generation ago. But I think you'll be right. I remember the last time you got all hot and bothered over something like this. Ashley Lelie was it? How'd that go for you?

bpc
03-01-2010, 05:33 PM
look at those positions though, those guys you named, Goodman, Hill, Dawkins, Jordan, Buck, and Davis are all for the most part are placeholders and tutors to guys who are young or were brought in to take over in the next few seasons. Goodman has Alphonso and Carter behind him learning. Hill and Dawkins have Barrett, Bruton, and McBath learning behind them. Jordan and Buck have Moreno teamed with them.

there is a difference, because Mike would bring in his older FA players but not have anyone behind those guys learning and prepping to eventually take over. And yes these guys were brought in to help the team now and were given good money to do so, but another major factor in them being here is to pass on their knowledge to their younger teammates and eventual replacements.

While Doom isn't exact prototype for an OLB, he is much closer to being a prototype OLB for a 3-4 than he ever was at being a prototype DE in a 4-3. Peppers is the complete opposite of that. He is damn near the perfect specimen to be a dominant 4-3 DE.

and while all his stats and intangibles of being a college basketball player and the speed he had almost a decade ago are intriguing they don't tell the story of the player he is today. the guy has near a decade of experience as a DE in the pros. and he just turned 30, and i can't think of many 30 year old DE's who remained dominant in their 30's and even in his prime he was still streaky. his stats always read he was hot and notched multiple sacks 1 week and was cold for the next 3. the amount of money he wants, coupled with age, and potentially learning a new position is not worth it.

You can say what you want about Peppers. He's the one getting double and tripple teamed every game while the pool of talent around him on the DL in Carolina grew thinner and thinner. His resume doesn't lie though, he's been pretty much automatic in getting double diget sacks.

You can argue that his athletic ability is waning... I guess. Add a couple seconds onto his 40 and he's still the same type of athlete speed-wise as Elvis. What's your point? You still don't think he can do the job? Moving to a OLB position puts him at a spot to get single blocking more often than he is now. Seems like a great career move for Peppers. Just my opinion, not that I know anything.

Your assertions are ascinine on Mike's ideas to build the team backup. You think Shanahan tried to run things into the ground? He never rebuilt because he didn't believe in doing that. It doesn't mean he didn't draft to replace people by drafting succesors, whether the people he picked were good or bad. You think Jay Cutler wasn't a failsafe for Plummer and a better potential replacement? You think that Jarvis Moss and Crowder weren't meant to take over for Ekuban and other placeholders? You could go on down the line. Brandon Marshall wasn't meant to replace Rod Smith? Come on man. You can't say a 20+ year NFL coach wasn't trying to plan for the future. He finally had to turnover his roster and we felt that over the 2006-2008 seasons. That's the truth of it. He kept Denver from losing seasons, all but 2 years during his tenure here. Unfortunately, the NFL system is set to make those that are down, come up... and the teams that are up, come back down. He made a few decisions in the draft and FA which hurt us... but we were still turning around when he got canned. Our improving young offense proved that.

Doesn't matter if it was right or wrong, it happened and he's gone.

Unfortunately another discussion has been derailed by people that want to talk bad about Shanahan.

bpc
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Hater? Wow, where did you learn such a big, underused word?

*yawn* whatever. You're walking around with a hard on telling everyone who'll listen how awesomely lined up the Redskins are for winning big. Too bad Shanahan couldn't wield such magic the past 10 years. And yeah, I know, two Super Bowls. I know all about them and am grateful, but, you know, that was like, a generation ago. But I think you'll be right. I remember the last time you got all hot and bothered over something like this. Ashley Lelie was it? How'd that go for you?

Ashley was far from a failure unless you consider him with the option of drafting Ed Reed. He had a 1000 yd season, 8 TD's. Unfortunately we didn't have a QB who could take advantage of his long ball speed. When we finally did, he wanted out as he didn't want to sit on the bench behind Rod and Javon Walker.

Feel better now?

Another thread derailed by Mike Shanahan hate. Surprise, suprise.

BTW, if you told anybody here on the Broncos that we were in line for Julius Peppers and Darren Sproles, the masses would be stoked and singing the praises of Josh.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

DBroncos4life
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Carter, Suh, Haynesworth, and Peppers. Good luck blocking that front four.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 05:55 PM
BTW, if you told anybody here on the Broncos that we were in line for Julius Peppers and Darren Sproles, the masses would be stoked and singing the praises of Josh.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

i'd be ready to punch a baby if we overpaid for either of those guys

chex
03-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Ashley was far from a failure unless you consider him with the option of drafting Ed Reed. He had a 1000 yd season, 8 TD's. Unfortunately we didn't have a QB who could take advantage of his long ball speed. When we finally did, he wanted out as he didn't want to sit on the bench behind Rod and Javon Walker.

Feel better now?

Another thread derailed by Mike Shanahan hate. Surprise, suprise.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Wow, you are amazing! Now you're showing off your clairvoyancy! Wow, what else will everyone do?

You don't find it strange that you're the only one on here overly obsessed with Shanahan? Even more than the others? I mean really, have you stepped back and taken a look? It's like the guy took your virginity or something. I can't help it if you consider anything less than licking his sack to being a "hater" (ooooooh, what a big word you constantly throw around).

What's hypocrisy, is you getting all crampy when someone mentions his last 10 years. Like you're the one directing traffic, on what to say and not to say. We're only allowed to talk about good, not the bad, otherwise we're "haters" (ooooooh, what a big word you constantly throw around).

Oh, and as for your lame Lelie defense one 1,000 yard, 8 TD season is kinda lousy for a first round pick, dontcha think? I mean, hell, Moreno gets all sorts of **** on here for not breaking a thou his rookie season, but Lelie had one 1,000 yard season, so he's off limits! How's that for hypocrisy! And how is it no one else could "take advantage of his long ball speed"? Why wouldn't the Colts sign him? They have Manning. Or the Pats with Brady? Last I remember, Lelie was getting kicked around the league like a tin can. You get abnormally attached to these figures. Yeah, I get you were his teammate; doesn't mean he's the greatest player to never stop sucking.

colonelbeef
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM

Doesn't mean a thing. How many superbowls did Zorn, Spurrier, and Gibbs the 2nd win with Snyder blowing cash?

Shanahan will win because he's a great coach. The cash will only serve to get him there faster.

watermock
03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm amazed at the obession for Shanny and Cutler.

bpc
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Wow, you are amazing! Now you're showing off your clairvoyancy! Wow, what else will everyone do?

You don't find it strange that you're the only one on here overly obsessed with Shanahan? Even more than the others? I mean really, have you stepped back and taken a look? It's like the guy took your virginity or something. I can't help it if you consider anything less than licking his sack to being a "hater" (ooooooh, what a big word you constantly throw around).

What's hypocrisy, is you getting all crampy when someone mentions his last 10 years. Like you're the one directing traffic, on what to say and not to say. We're only allowed to talk about good, not the bad, otherwise we're "haters" (ooooooh, what a big word you constantly throw around).

Oh, and as for your lame Lelie defense one 1,000 yard, 8 TD season is kinda lousy for a first round pick, dontcha think? I mean, hell, Moreno gets all sorts of **** on here for not breaking a thou his rookie season, but Lelie had one 1,000 yard season, so he's off limits! How's that for hypocrisy! And how is it no one else could "take advantage of his long ball speed"? Why wouldn't the Colts sign him? They have Manning. Or the Pats with Brady? Last I remember, Lelie was getting kicked around the league like a tin can. You get abnormally attached to these figures. Yeah, I get you were his teammate; doesn't mean he's the greatest player to never stop sucking.

Shanahan was terrible over the last 10 years. I mean, going to AFC championship games (05') and playoffs (00', 03', 04') is just torture! Not to mention we could have been there a few other times (02', 06', 08') if we got a few breaks. I mean, we're poor tortured souls under Shanahan! We sucked all the time! ha ha.

The fact is you're the epitomy of what's wrong in Denver. Spoiled-rotten fan-base that couldn't grip the fact that every once in awhile you gotta rebuild and start over. I know, Shanahan hated to admit such, so why should we accept it? Well, you got your way and here we are. Out of the playoffs again and searching for players on both side of the ball that can lead us back to the promise land.

You think because you know a few tidbits about my life, that you know me? Ha ha. Guess again. The reason Ashley failed is because he didn't love football. Never did. There's other stuff but i'm not going to talk about it here.

It's the whole MO of a bunch of posters on the mane to jump in and derail certain conversations. This is just the latest in a long line of threads people hijack. We get it, you hate Mike Shanahan. You can say whatever you want.

I just think it's going to be comical when Mike's having success what people say then. I'm sure it will be ripe with jealousy. I'll enjoy laughing at it and all the pettyness.

Archer81
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Shanahan was terrible over the last 10 years. I mean, going to AFC championship games (05') and playoffs (00', 03', 04') is just torture! Not to mention we could have been there a few other times (02', 06', 08') if we got a few breaks. I mean, we're poor tortured souls under Shanahan! We sucked all the time! ha ha.

The fact is you're the epitomy of what's wrong in Denver. Spoiled-rotten fan-base that couldn't grip the fact that every once in awhile you gotta rebuild and start over. I know, Shanahan hated to admit such, so why should we accept it? Well, you got your way and here we are. Out of the playoffs again and searching for players on both side of the ball that can lead us back to the promise land.

You think because you know a few tidbits about my life, that you know me? Ha ha. Guess again. The reason Ashley failed is because he didn't love football. Never did. There's other stuff but i'm not going to talk about it here.

It's the whole MO of a bunch of posters on the mane to jump in and derail certain conversations. This is just the latest in a long line of threads people hijack. We get it, you hate Mike Shanahan. You can say whatever you want.

I just think it's going to be comical when Mike's having success what people say then. I'm sure it will be ripe with jealousy. I'll enjoy laughing at it and all the pettyness.

The last time the Broncos were in a superbowl, I was 18. 1 playoff win in a decade is hard to swallow.

:Broncos:

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 07:05 PM

dude, Bowlen had an open checkbook for anyone that Mike wanted and it didn't win him a super bowl, why would the same situation be any different in washington?

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
The last time the Broncos were in a superbowl, I was 18. 1 playoff win in a decade is hard to swallow.

exactly. 1 playoff win the last decade is equal with

Dolphins, 49ers, Redskins, Jaguars and Cowboys

and just ahead of the

Bengals, Texans, Bills, Chiefs, Browns and Lions

every other team has at least 2 or more playoff wins this decade. 20 NFL teams over the last decade have more playoff wins than Denver.

sad that so many still think Shanahan was getting the job done over the last decade.

bpc
03-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey, we get it, you guys think Shanahan sucks, was over the hill, and i'm sure you're happy he's gone.

Same ole', same ole'.

colonelbeef
03-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Only for those with no foresight. A rebuild was taking place, only the foolish were unable to handle and/or see it.

Only difference is that most franchises' down periods last for a decade and include 3 win seasons. Shanahan was on pace for a miracle rebuild in only a few short seasons.

But we do have Kyle Orton now, so that's super.

azbroncfan
03-01-2010, 08:37 PM

You have to be a big fan of Norv Turner too.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Only for those with no foresight. A rebuild was taking place, only the foolish were unable to handle and/or see it.

Only difference is that most franchises' down periods last for a decade and include 3 win seasons. Shanahan was on pace for a miracle rebuild in only a few short seasons.

But we do have Kyle Orton now, so that's super.

Better than Cutler ever was

bronco militia
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM

what?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9597

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8520

Dagmar
03-01-2010, 09:05 PM
what?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=9597

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8520

Kyle Orton, more yards, higher QB rating.

DBroncos4life
03-01-2010, 09:08 PM

How many more wins did that get us?

Dagmar
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
How many more wins did that get us?

Erm, they were comparing the QBs not the teams. You do enjoy raggin' on anything I ever post though so flame away.

broncosteven
03-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Your lucky your not a KFC fan, or better yet a SD fan, they have yet to win a SB.

Archer81
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey, we get it, you guys think Shanahan sucks, was over the hill, and i'm sure you're happy he's gone.

Same ole', same ole'.

Yes. I completely said this. I hate the coach that won Denver titles. Brilliant...

I wish Mike well in Washington. He has 100+ wins and 2 superbowl titles in Denver; but he clearly ground away his welcome here. Stop being hysterical about it simply because we dont agree specifically with your point of view.

NFLBRONCO
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
dude, Bowlen had an open checkbook for anyone that Mike wanted and it didn't win him a super bowl, why would the same situation be any different in washington?

Washingtons D is better then ours and that's a huge plus for Shanny because he wasn't good at building D's if he was he'd still be here.

DBroncos4life
03-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Erm, they were comparing the QBs not the teams. You do enjoy raggin' on anything I ever post though so flame away.

Wins is a huge stat to compare when talking about QB's. In no way am I being unfair to Orton, after all I'm sure you were part of the group that down played Cutler's Pro Bowl season because it didn't yield us enough wins to make it to the playoffs. Same should go for Orton. He had solid numbers but where was the wins?

As for me raggin' on everything you post. Big deal man. You flame away at the same people day in and day out. Hell one of them has you on ignore and you still follow him around. Don't get all butt hurt if someone does the same to you.

You talk about people and how they conduct themselves on the board and how that justifies how you treat them. All most daily, you b**** about what people say to you via PM's or negative rep they give you. Did you not tell BPC that you hope that he gets leukemia and DIE in the same manner? It is what it is with you I guess.

strafen
03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Washingtons D is better then ours and that's a huge plus for Shanny because he wasn't good at building D's if he was he'd still be here.Washington hasn't smelled a SB since the 80's.
They definitely have the money for impact players, yet that hasn't yielded any results.
I think Snyder would be willing to accomodate any request by Shanahan. He will definitely have everything he needs at his fingertips.

This could be an interesting job for Shanahan.
I still admire him greatly and I agree his time in Denver was up...

strafen
03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
The rumors according to an article I've read on ESPN indicates that Sproles may well end up in Washington as they don't see San Diego being able to keep him...

DBroncos4life
03-01-2010, 10:51 PM
The rumors according to an article I've read on ESPN indicates that Sproles may well end up in Washington as they don't see San Diego being able to keep him...

I don't know why they don't make a run at Thomas Jones and find a speed back later in the draft like Joe McKnight.

strafen
03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't know why they don't make a run at Thomas Jones and find a speed back later in the draft like Joe McKnight.I'm sure Shanahan will be implementing the WC offense.
It will be a matter of who fits the bill best...

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Washingtons D is better then ours and that's a huge plus for Shanny because he wasn't good at building D's if he was he'd still be here.

true, but that is a good 4-3 defense that Mike is seemingly about to turn into a 3-4 defense. in this case it seems like he is about to make a problem out of the D

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Wins is a huge stat to compare when talking about QB's. In no way am I being unfair to Orton, after all I'm sure you were part of the group that down played Cutler's Pro Bowl season because it didn't yield us enough wins to make it to the playoffs. Same should go for Orton. He had solid numbers but where was the wins?

with Cutler i down play and don't hold in high regards his "pro bowl year" because first off it wasn't warranted. the simple fact that Rivers wasn't present that season at the pro bowl shows that it is a bull**** factor in determining how good a players season is. also, i can't see a guy being called 1 of the 3 best in his conference when he had 20 turnovers that season

*WARHORSE*
03-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Shanny needs offense.

Peppers is 30 years old, and as soon as you sign him long term he disappears.

Washington can keep him.

He wont be worth whatever mega contract they sign him to.

Haynesworth is eating a side of beef right now with no concern for next season. Hes going to be eating for a long time to come.

strafen
03-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Shanny needs offense.

Peppers is 30 years old, and as soon as you sign him long term he disappears.

Washington can keep him.

He wont be worth whatever mega contract they sign him to.

Haynesworth is eating a side of beef right now with no concern for next season. Hes going to be eating for a long time to come.Don't kid yourself, Peppers and Haynesworth are still capable of playing at a high level.
I haven't seen any indication their playing has declined...

rastaman
03-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Shanny is using the same blue print in Wash that he used in Denver to win 2 cosecutive SB's.

Shanny just needs to leave the Defensive side of the ball ALONE and let the experts build, scheme and execute the Defense.....and Mike should have a successful stint as Wash. HC.

Shanny knows how to draft Offensive talent thru the draft...at least he proved this overwhelmingly in 06, 07, and 08.

bronco militia
03-02-2010, 09:52 AM

last year yes, but cutler has been better than Kyle orton.

that statement would be false

rastaman
03-02-2010, 10:09 AM
i'd be ready to punch a baby if we overpaid for either of those guys

Come on man....Its Only Money! And the owners at that. On a more serious note, NFL owners will never got bankrupt! NFL Corporations are setup to always make a profit. If you are an NFL Owner who is afraid to spend money....you really shouldn't be an NFL owner. You can't depend on building a winner thru the draft only ya gotta sign FA's as well.

rastaman
03-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Shanny is a statistician-field general type HC. He's going to try and beat you with mis-matches and schemes that deploy outside the box.

Archer81
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Shanny is a statistician-field general type HC. He's going to try and beat you with mis-matches and schemes that deploy outside the box.

Really? a HC who schemes and uses mismatches? How come this was not brought to anyone's attention in th 15 years Shanahan was in Denver? This is world shattering news! Are other HC's aware of this "scheme and mismatch" bugaboo? They should be told...

MIKE SHANAHAN IS A SCHEME AND MISMATCH GUY! SPREAD THE WORD!

bpc
03-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Don't kid yourself, Peppers and Haynesworth are still capable of playing at a high level.
I haven't seen any indication their playing has declined...

Let's be honest, both are odds on favorites to be all-pro players next year.

YEAH, I would hate to have that problem on my roster!

rastaman
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Really? a HC who schemes and uses mismatches? How come this was not brought to anyone's attention in th 15 years Shanahan was in Denver? This is world shattering news! Are other HC's aware of this "scheme and mismatch" bugaboo? They should be told...

MIKE SHANAHAN IS A SCHEME AND MISMATCH GUY! SPREAD THE WORD!

Thats right "Dumb Billy" Shanny is going to try and beat teams not with brute force so to speak, he's going to try and beat teams with mis-matches and his own version of the West Coast Offense.

Shanny's offense is not a "Dink-n-Dunk" type of scheme. Shanny's scheme will depend on the players that he will have at his disposal in 2010.

One aspect that will greatly benefit Shanny was the fact that he spent this time to study the game intently, view film, and prepare his strategy for his future position. Although he was out of the game, his mind was still 100% geared toward football, and without the stress of head coaching, he was able to study the various schemes that coaches had employed this pass season.

elsid13
03-02-2010, 01:53 PM
true, but that is a good 4-3 defense that Mike is seemingly about to turn into a 3-4 defense. in this case it seems like he is about to make a problem out of the D

It not as big a deal as you would think. London Fletcher in Washington Post article stated that he didn't think the defense would change that much, since Greg Blanche's (former DC) mostly ran 3/4 style fronts last season as a basis for their scheme. The only defense was kept Carter in 3 point stance vs moving him to LB. One of Haynaworth biggest gripes was that Blanche was using him to hold up offense line vs getting after the passer.

Archer81
03-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Thats right "Dumb Billy" Shanny is going to try and beat teams not with brute force so to speak, he's going to try and beat teams with mis-matches and his own version of the West Coast Offense.

Shanny's offense is not a "Dink-n-Dunk" type of scheme. Shanny's scheme will depend on the players that he will have at his disposal in 2010.

One aspect that will greatly benefit Shanny was the fact that he spent this time to study the game intently, view film, and prepare his strategy for his future position. Although he was out of the game, his mind was still 100% geared toward football, and without the stress of head coaching, he was able to study the various schemes that coaches had employed this pass season.

I sense Irony...wait...wait...

http://tinyurl.com/yfqmtkc

There it is...

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Come on man....Its Only Money! And the owners at that. On a more serious note, NFL owners will never got bankrupt! NFL Corporations are setup to always make a profit. If you are an NFL Owner who is afraid to spend money....you really shouldn't be an NFL owner. You can't depend on building a winner thru the draft only ya gotta sign FA's as well.

i'm not worried about Bowlen's checkbook. I just am all but certain that Peppers and Sproles would be a major waste of cash and not worth it. Sure Sproles could help ST and with passes out of the backfield, and it would be an addition by no longer having him rip long plays on us, but not worth the money he is going to be asking for.

and Peppers at his age is not worth the Haynesworth type of money he wants. especially when you consider the moment he gets his big money deal he is more than likely going to hit cruise control and stop putting forth much effort.

so once again, if we sign either of those guys I will be ready to punch a baby

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2010, 03:42 PM
last year yes, but cutler has been better than Kyle orton.

that statement would be false

Cutler was a turnover machine, Orton was not.

Orton had the respect and was well liked by his teammates both in Chicago and Denver, Cutler was not

Orton matched Cutler's best season record as a Bronco in a season where he was learning a new system, new players tendencies, behind a much worse line than Cutler ever had, and with a team in full rebuild mode.

Orton had better seasons and records in Chicago than Cutler did, even though many claim Cutler to be the superior QB.

also, unlike Cutler who never elevated his game, in one season Orton took his game to a whole new level.

So yes, Orton in 1 year with Denver was better than Cutler ever was.

KipCorrington25
03-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Orton showed his true colors when we needed him most in the final game against KC with those 2 pick 6's I saw all I ever wanted to see of that stiff.

Br0nc0Buster
03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Orton showed his true colors when we needed him most in the final game against KC with those 2 pick 6's I saw all I ever wanted to see of that stiff.

And Jay was the perfect clutch player here?
I seem to recall him stinking it up at the end of the 08 season with our playoff hopes alive

Orton played pretty well though
To base an opinion off one game is stupid
Everyone stunk it up against KC except Jabar Gaffney
But I guess Dawkins, Doom, and Champ are "stiffs" to then right?

strafen
03-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Jason Campbell gets first-round tender from WashingtonThe Washington Redskins placed the first-round tender on quarterback Jason Campbell, according to a league source. If any team wants to sign Campbell to an offer sheet, the Redskins would have seven days to match or get back the other team's first-round pick. The first-round tender for a player that has played five seasons like Campbell is $2.621 million, but Campbell's tag is for more than $3.1 million because it is 110 percent of a player's 2009 base salary.The Redskins also put a tender on cornerback Carlos Rogers -- $1.542 million, according to NFL sources. He was given a tender in the round he was originally drafted (he was a first-round pick) and the Redskins would receive a first-round pick in return if he signed with another team. However, the Redskins did not give Rogers the high first-round tender.Running back Quinton Ganther was not tendered, so he becomes a free agent.New Redskins coach Mike Shanahan had said he would tender Campbell but hasn't committed to him as his starter.Campbell has started 52 games in his five seasons with the Redskins. He has his best statistical season last year, but the team struggled and finished 4-12.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4962516

bronco militia
03-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Chargers change their minds on Sproles

Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2010 3:37 PM ET

Last week, the Chargers decided not to issue any restricted free agency tender to running back Darren Sproles. We'd been told that they opted not to even use the low-level "right of first refusal" tender because they feared owing him 110 percent of his 2009 franchise player salary.

But now they've changed their minds. Instead of going with the lowest level, however, they've decided to push the offer to the other end of the spectrum.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers have applied the highest tender to Sproles, guaranteeing them a first-round and third-round pick if he leaves, and guaranteeing Sproles nearly $7.3 million in salary for 2010.

Sproles reportedly was scheduled to visit the Chiefs, Rams, Eagles, and Redskins -- an amazing itinerary given that the mere lining up of visits before midnight on the first day of free agency constitutes tampering per se.

The Chargers could still trade him, but whoever gets him will be dealing with contractual demands premised on first-year compensation of $7.27 million.

400HZ
03-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Last week, the Chargers decided not to issue any restricted free agency tender to running back Darren Sproles. We'd been told that they opted not to even use the low-level "right of first refusal" tender because they feared owing him 110 percent of his 2009 franchise player salary.

But now they've changed their minds. Instead of going with the lowest level, however, they've decided to push the offer to the other end of the spectrum.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers have applied the highest tender to Sproles, guaranteeing them a first-round and third-round pick if he leaves, and guaranteeing Sproles nearly $7.3 million in salary for 2010.

Sproles reportedly was scheduled to visit the Chiefs, Rams, Eagles, and Redskins -- an amazing itinerary given that the mere lining up of visits before midnight on the first day of free agency constitutes tampering per se.

The Chargers could still trade him, but whoever gets him will be dealing with contractual demands premised on first-year compensation of $7.27 million.

I'm not a huge fan of this move. 3rd down specialists aren't worth that kind of money. They came up with the cash by releasing Jamal Williams. :saywhat:

Man-Goblin
03-04-2010, 01:15 PM

So weird that the guy was an unrestricted free agent last year and got franchised, but now he's restricted and can be kept with a tender.