PDA

View Full Version : Which QB are the Broncos Gonna Draft?

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2010, 11:28 PM
I wouldn't mind the Broncos taking Tebow in the second round or possibly a guy like Jarrett Brown later in the draft (he looks like he has a live arm).

But, I like QBs with mobility, always have (I grew up watching the Duke, really liked the Cutler pick when it happend).

Everyone knows Tebow has mechanical issues and his game may not translate well to the NFL, but he's a great leader, a good athlete and he's willing to work hard to become better. He might be a good guy to draft and let sit behind Orton and learn.

Jarrett Brown is more of a project but he's got a good arm. Would McD draft this kid thinking he can develop him? I dunno. Neither Tebow nor Brown are the type of QB McD prefers (tall QBs who stand in the pocket and throw).

If Bowlen is not full of BS, and we can believe what he said, then the Broncos are going to draft a QB. Question is, which QB and when? I personally think that the Broncos will take a QB somewhere between the 2nd and 4th round.

Doggcow
02-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Haven't seen this thread before.

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Haven't seen this thread before.

Merg it if it's a repeat.

Baba Booey
02-28-2010, 11:34 PM
I think McDaniels would be more prone to draft a prototype rather than a tweener like Tebow.

Tebow is a winner though, even though I'm a Cane fan and hate his guts.

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2010, 11:36 PM
I think McDaniels would be more prone to draft a prototype rather than a tweener like Tebow.

Tebow is a winner though, even though I'm a Cane fan and hate his guts.

I agree, question is who is the prototype McD likes? Tony Pike?

strafen
02-28-2010, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't mind the Broncos taking Tebow in the second round or possibly a guy like Jarrett Brown later in the draft (he looks like he has a live arm).

But, I like QBs with mobility, always have (I grew up watching the Duke, really liked the Cutler pick when it happend).

Everyone knows Tebow has mechanical issues and his game may not translate well to the NFL, but he's a great leader, a good athlete and he's willing to work hard to become better. He might be a good guy to draft and let sit behind Orton and learn.

Jarrett Brown is more of a project but he's got a good arm. Would McD draft this kid thinking he can develop him? I dunno. Neither Tebow nor Brown are the type of QB McD prefers (tall QBs who stand in the pocket and throw).

If Bowlen is not full of BS, and we can believe what he said, then the Broncos are going to draft a QB. Question is, which QB and when? I personally think that the Broncos will take a QB somewhere between the 2nd and 4th round.The top rated QB's are still banged up and recovering.
Let's see if they're healthy enough by the time they do their pro debut.
Tebow would be my preferred pick...

SouthStndJunkie
02-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Dan LeFevour in Round Two....at least that is what I want.

I'd take Jevan Snead in Round Three....I know he had a crappy 2009 season, but he is a very talented QB and worth a gamble.

I've been looking at the QBs lately and I feel it's a better class than it's being given credit for.

strafen
02-28-2010, 11:45 PM

I'd take Jevan Snead in Round Three....I know he had a crappy 2009 season, but he is a very talented QB and worth a gamble.

I've been looking at the QBs lately and I feel it's a better class than it's being given credit for.Funny you mention Dan LeFevour. Some of the local radio sport talk shows are high on him...

SouthStndJunkie
02-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Funny you mention Dan LeFevour. Some of the local radio sport talk shows are high on him...

I see that Woody just wrote an article singing his praises.

I've been talking about him for a few years....I live in the middle of MAC country, so I've gotten to see him play a lot of games.

I know that LeFevour is a lot higher on some draft boards than is being let on.

The 4.66 he ran at 6'3 and 230 pounds did not hurt his stock at all.

Archer81
02-28-2010, 11:51 PM

John Skelton, Fordham. Has the height (6'5) and weight (235). Good arm, moves around like Flacco.

:Broncos:

SouthStndJunkie
02-28-2010, 11:52 PM
John Skelton, Fordham. Has the height (6'5) and weight (235). Good arm, moves around like Flacco.

Tony Pike reminds me of Joe Flacco at times.

I like Pike as a prospect, but he is as brittle as a pretzel rod.

strafen
02-28-2010, 11:53 PM
I see that Woody just wrote an article singing his praises.

I've been talking about him for a few years....I live in the middle of MAC country, so I've gotten to see him play a lot of games.

I know that LeFevour is a lot higher on some draft boards than is being let on.

The 4.66 he ran at 6'3 and 230 pounds did not hurt his stock at all.I like him too he's a gifted athlete for sure...

Archer81
02-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Tony Pike reminds me of Joe Flacco at times.

I like Pike as a prospect, but he is as brittle as a pretzel rod.

I had NFL Network on all day today when I was doing chores and homework and whatnot. They showed him after he ran the 40...the dude has chicken legs. I think he will make a good QB in the NFL, but he would need to pack on another 25-35 pounds of muscle. I would not be upset if he became a Bronco.

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2010, 11:59 PM
The top rated QB's are still banged up and recovering.
Let's see if they're healthy enough by the time they do their pro debut.
Tebow would be my preferred pick...

If the Rams take Bradford with the first pick, then the remaining top 3 QBs will go pretty quickly IMHO. Clausen will go next then maybe LeFevour or McCoy and all possibly in the first round.

If Bradford is not taken first, then only two QBs will probably be taken on the first day: Bradford and Clausen. This drops a relatively deep QB class to the second round where LeFevour and McCoy will probably go next.

strafen
03-01-2010, 12:06 AM
If the Rams take Bradford with the first pick, then the remaining top 3 QBs will go pretty quickly IMHO. Clausen will go next then maybe LeFevour or McCoy and all possibly in the first round.

If Bradford is not taken first, then only two QBs will probably be taken on the first day: Bradford and Clausen. This drops a relatively deep QB class to the second round where LeFevour and McCoy will probably go next.We stand a good chance to get a quality QB.
The only teams in front of us with QB's needs are the Rams like you've mentioned and the Skins.
Clausen is projected to go to the Rams and Bradford to the Skins.
The question is, would we take a QB that high at 11th?
Who could be there for us to pull the trigger on him?

I'm not discarding Tebow just yet. A lot of work for him to do to improve his draft position. A lot will depend on how he progresses.
Not saying the Broncos will take him at #11 but I wouldn't pass on him if still on the board in the 2nd round...

Dagmar
03-01-2010, 12:19 AM
McCoy isn't going to go 1st round.

Broncoman13
03-01-2010, 05:24 AM
LeFevour, McCoy, or Skelton

long beach bronco
03-01-2010, 05:34 AM
I would take Skelton. He is going to be really good player.

barryr
03-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I mentioned LeFevour myself awhile ago. He started all 4 years in college too, so has plenty of experience. Beware the guys that have only started a year or 2 in college at QB. The NFL is full of draft busts at QB like that.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I like Skelton and some I-AA love.

Broncojef
03-01-2010, 06:51 AM
LeFevour has to be higher on some of these draft boards than is being let on, would love to see the Broncos draft him.

HILife
03-01-2010, 09:17 AM

Anybody drafted in the sixth round with the initials T.B.

Kaylore
03-01-2010, 09:19 AM

The only one on that list we even look at is Skelton.

LeFevour has a weak arm and is a west coast style QB.

McCoy is too small.

TheDave
03-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Skelton, Levi Brown or Pike... Depends who is still available in the 3rd or 4th.

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I wonder if McD's gonna pull a "I'm smarter than everyone else" move and draft some unknown QB out of Middle Tennessee State Polytech & Ag. school in like the 3rd round.

Pull a Shanny.

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2010, 09:27 AM

McCoy is too small.

I thought LeFevour has a strong arm and that was one of his strengths...

TheDave
03-01-2010, 09:28 AM

McCoy is too small.

Lefevour has a cannon compared to McCoy ;D ... Seriously though, I'm not convinced McCoy has enough arm to play on Sundays.

TheDave
03-01-2010, 09:31 AM

It's pretty weak... I think it's enough to play in the league, but definately more of a west coast guy.

ColoradoBuff
03-01-2010, 09:32 AM

I agree but I would add Hiller to that list!

strafen
03-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Lefevour has a cannon compared to McCoy ;D ... Seriously though, I'm not convinced McCoy has enough arm to play on Sundays.Nor the height. He will be forced to play from the shotgun to be able to see the plays downfield...

TheDave
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Nor the height. He will be forced to play from the shotgun to be able to see the plays downfield...

Oddly he reminds me soooo much of Jake Plummer, except Plummer had a decent arm.

I think McCoy's only chance will be in a dink and dunk west coast offense that uses a lot of shotgun and designed roll outs.

2KBack
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I had NFL Network on all day today when I was doing chores and homework and whatnot. They showed him after he ran the 40...the dude has chicken legs. I think he will make a good QB in the NFL, but he would need to pack on another 25-35 pounds of muscle. I would not be upset if he became a Bronco.

He's skinny, but not THAT skinny. He weighed in a 223, which I know for 6'6" is slim, but if he got up to about 230 or so he would be fine in my opinion. 7-10 pounds would be pretty easy to do.

strafen
03-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Oddly he reminds me soooo much of Jake Plummer, except Plummer had a decent arm.

I think McCoy's only chance will be in a dink and dunk west coast offense that uses a lot of shotgun and designed roll outs.I can see him do that ala Plummer, sure...

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Just for kicks and grins, who's shanny gonna draft? Anyone here think he might trade down and try to stockpile more picks and then take a guy like Tebow in the second round?

I feel bad for Campbell, he's gone through so many changes but I don't think Shanny is gonna dump the guy and put in a rookie, even if Bradford falls to Shanny.

Really, why wouldn't Shanny give Campbell a shot? If he takes a QB with the first pick, he's basically telling Campbell he's as good as gone. If on the other hand Shanny thinks he can work with Campbell, why not take a QB a little later on?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I thought I saw on SportsCenter that Shanahan was interested in keeping Campbell, and would be tendering him an offer...

Might have dreamed it, I guess. Damn Ambien...

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2010, 10:02 AM
I thought I saw on SportsCenter that Shanahan was interested in keeping Campbell, and would be tendering him an offer...

I think Campbell still has alot of upside. He's big, he's got a good arm and he's mobil. Those are the qualities Shanny likes. Obviously, he's had to learn a lot of different offensive systems since he was drafted by Gibbs. He's never had great WRs to throw to that I can remember. The running game has been ok, but nothing to lean on.

Maybe I'm just an optimist but I see Campbell doing well with a good running game behind him and a good defense. He can make plays, hell he made plays against the Broncos this last year.

strafen
03-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Just for kicks and grins, who's shanny gonna draft? Anyone here think he might trade down and try to stockpile more picks and then take a guy like Tebow in the second round?

I feel bad for Campbell, he's gone through so many changes but I don't think Shanny is gonna dump the guy and put in a rookie, even if Bradford falls to Shanny.

Really, why wouldn't Shanny give Campbell a shot? If he takes a QB with the first pick, he's basically telling Campbell he's as good as gone. If on the other hand Shanny thinks he can work with Campbell, why not take a QB a little later on?Even before Shanahan, Campbell was always a phone call away from being dealt out.
It'll depend on what Shanny has planned for his offense.
Campbell could be a good fit. Still Bradford is projected to be taken by Washington.
Beyond Campbell, I don't think they have anybody else.

HILife
03-01-2010, 10:04 AM
He's skinny, but not THAT skinny. He weighed in a 223, which I know for 6'6" is slim, but if he got up to about 230 or so he would be fine in my opinion. 7-10 pounds would be pretty easy to do.

Better get started.

http://wearestjohns.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/worlds_biggest_hamburger.jpg

bronco militia
03-01-2010, 10:05 AM
the Fever

Fusionfrontman
03-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I really, like a few others on here, think Skelton is the guy. Has the built, solid frame, looks like he can move in the pocket a bit. Not 'mobile' but can extend plays (shifting like Brady). I wouldn't mind reaching a round for Skelton b/c I really think a year or 2 behind Orton and this guy can be a stud.

Rohirrim
03-01-2010, 10:21 AM
I hope the Broncos lay off drafting a QB until the fifth or sixth round and then take a look around and see who's still on the board. Hopefully, Canfield is still there in the sixth and they can bring him into camp and let him compete with Simms. Other than that, spend this draft on the lines and stick with Orton and Brandstater.

Beantown Bronco
03-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I think Campbell still has alot of upside. He's big, he's got a good arm and he's mobil. Those are the qualities Shanny likes. Obviously, he's had to learn a lot of different offensive systems since he was drafted by Gibbs. He's never had great WRs to throw to that I can remember. The running game has been ok, but nothing to lean on.

Outside of 2009, Washington has been among the league's best, most consistent rushing teams.

2005 - 7th in NFL
2006 - 4th
2007 - 12th
2008 - 8th

That's nothing to sneeze at.

cmhargrove
03-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I hope the Broncos lay off drafting a QB until the fifth or sixth round and then take a look around and see who's still on the board. Hopefully, Canfield is still there in the sixth and they can bring him into camp and let him compete with Simms. Other than that, spend this draft on the lines and stick with Orton and Brandstater.

Bingo!

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Was I completely misreading Bowlen when he said the Broncos are gonna draft a QB and that it was more or less one of the positions of focus?

I dunno, maybe I'm not remembering what he said correctly. Taking a QB late in the draft definitely means QB is not a priority and that the Broncos don't intend to give Orton real competition. At least, that's how I'd see it. The Broncos could strike gold in the later rounds but I seriously doubt it...

Rohirrim
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Was I completely misreading Bowlen when he said the Broncos are gonna draft a QB and that it was more or less one of the positions of focus?

I dunno, maybe I'm not remembering what he said correctly. Taking a QB late in the draft definitely means QB is not a priority and that the Broncos don't intend to give Orton real competition. At least, that's how I'd see it. The Broncos could strike gold in the later rounds but I seriously doubt it...

""I want Kyle back," Bowlen said. "Orton is a good quarterback. I'd also like to think we might have the opportunity to draft a young quarterback, not necessarily to come in and play right away, but if you have the opportunity to draft somebody, that would be a plus for us."

Sounds pretty non-committal to me. Frankly, I don't think any of the QBs in this draft could beat out Orton for a starting spot. Passing on a starting NT, DE, LG or C in order to get one of these QBs would be like flushing a pick down the toilet.

strafen
03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Just like the biggest hardcore Broncos fans still look for us to have a QB near the statute of Elway, so is Pat Bowlen.
Bowlen wants a stud a QB. Somebody he can feel excited about, just like we all do...

strafen
03-01-2010, 10:52 AM
""I want Kyle back," Bowlen said. "Orton is a good quarterback. I'd also like to think we might have the opportunity to draft a young quarterback, not necessarily to come in and play right away, but if you have the opportunity to draft somebody, that would be a plus for us."

Sounds pretty non-committal to me. Frankly, I don't think any of the QBs in this draft could beat out Orton for a starting spot. Passing on a starting NT, DE, LG or C in order to get one of these QBs would be like flushing a pick down the toilet.

Oh yeah. Bowlen admits Orton is not the long term solution he looks for.

bowtown
03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I think it would be a real mistake to use a high draft pick on one of this year's QB crop. We should hold out one more year and try to get ourselves enough draft picks for next year so that we can leverage our way up and make a play for Locker.

I think the play is to try and trade down in the first for picks in next year's draft.

underrated29
03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Its skelton. THis kid has stud written all over him. I had us taking him in the 4th. But now it might be more like 2nd or 3rd. And I would be all for it....

Infact a draft like:

Brandon Graham
John Skelton
J.D. Walden

for our first 3 picks would be super sexy in my eyes. But I figure we will somehow end up with another 2nd rdr or two.

Skelton is ripped. Did you guys see him? the dude is huge. Strong, smart, accurate for the most part, can run, and wont get knocked over by a DE that misses grabbing, needs some polishing, but is a 100% fit for a Josh Mcdaniels offense.

oubronco
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I watched the QB's on youtube Skelton and LeFevour weren't too overly impressive Bradford is definitely the best

underrated29
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I watched the QB's on youtube Skelton and LeFevour weren't too overly impressive Bradford is definitely the best

Oh, no doubt.

But we will not have a shot at bradford.

misturanderson
03-01-2010, 12:39 PM

And Bradford was also surrounded by 1st round NFL talent his entire time there and was being coached by one of the best in the college game. He was coached up and developed right in a good system with good supporting talent.

These other guys were at schools where they will probably be the only people on their team drafted into the NFL in weak leagues/conferences with coaches that would be at a better school if they were even close to as good as the OU coaches.

This also plays out in their draft status where Bradford may be the #1 overall pick while the other two will be lucky to get picked before the 4th round.

Of course Bradford looked better.

misturanderson
03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Its skelton. THis kid has stud written all over him. I had us taking him in the 4th. But now it might be more like 2nd or 3rd. And I would be all for it....

Infact a draft like:

Brandon Graham
John Skelton
J.D. Walden

for our first 3 picks would be super sexy in my eyes. But I figure we will somehow end up with another 2nd rdr or two.

Skelton is ripped. Did you guys see him? the dude is huge. Strong, smart, accurate for the most part, can run, and wont get knocked over by a DE that misses grabbing, needs some polishing, but is a 100% fit for a Josh Mcdaniels offense.

You legitimately think that it would be a good idea to pick a QB who put up average stats in a weak conference in the 2nd round?

Skelton might get picked up in the 4th round based entirely on his measurables, but going in the 2nd round would be only slightly more realistic than Colt McCoy in the 1st which is definitely not going to happen.

underrated29
03-01-2010, 12:48 PM
You legitimately think that it would be a good idea to pick a QB who put up average stats in a weak conference in the 2nd round?

Skelton might get picked up in the 4th round based entirely on his measurables, but going in the 2nd round would be only slightly more realistic than Colt McCoy in the 1st which is definitely not going to happen.

Not legitimately no. But I look at the draft as getting the players we want and need. I do not care what round. In other words if we reach for skelton in the 2nd. (which NO One will) and get a guy like walden in the 4th...thats a trade out for me. Just because of need.

I still think that we are going to trade back some way, some how and load up on a fair amount of 2nds and or 3rds. Pitts is desperate for a CB, if haden falls to us at 11- they might come calling. We could then pick at 18 and gain a 2nd/3rd. -----Point is, if we have a luxury pick, I am all for it. But I believe that Skelton will be better than mcoy, pike and most of the other non first rd guys. To me its lefeaver and skelt. I will wait while both are on the list, but once one goes, then I consider reaching on the other. The rest of the qbs imo are and will be no better than Orton.

oubronco
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
<TABLE border=0 width=630><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%">Browns | Interested in Bradford, could move up in NFL Draft
</TD><TD width="20%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:45:05 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford (http://www.orangemane.com/player/22072/nfl)'s stock as a franchise quarterback has gained momentum, and Cleveland Browns (http://www.orangemane.com/team/13/nfl) general manager Tom Heckert (http://www.orangemane.com/player/22331/nfl) did not rule out trading up from No. 7 overall in the first round of the NFL Draft (http://www.orangemane.com/link/159) to acquire Bradford or another marquee player. "I don't think we're closing the door on anything," Heckert said at the NFL Scouting Combine (http://www.orangemane.com/link/183). "We're not shutting the door on moving up or even moving back. We're listening to a lot of different teams. It's still early. We have talked to teams about moving up and moving back. We're not closing the door on any position."

Rohirrim
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
If we beef up the interior of our Oline, Orton will look considerably better than he did last year. So will Knowshon.

WolfpackGuy
03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Skelton definitely looks the part and can light up the radar gun, but I'm not sure about him.

I watched some of the Shrine game, and his throws looked a little wild.

I'd like to know the story behind him being from Texas and going to Fordham.

Most I-AA players are usually from within a few hours drive from their schools.

Beantown Bronco
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
<TABLE border=0 width=630><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%">Browns | Interested in Bradford, could move up in NFL Draft
</TD><TD width="20%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:45:05 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford (http://www.orangemane.com/player/22072/nfl)'s stock as a franchise quarterback has gained momentum, and Cleveland Browns (http://www.orangemane.com/team/13/nfl) general manager Tom Heckert (http://www.orangemane.com/player/22331/nfl) did not rule out trading up from No. 7 overall in the first round of the NFL Draft (http://www.orangemane.com/link/159) to acquire Bradford or another marquee player. "I don't think we're closing the door on anything," Heckert said at the NFL Scouting Combine (http://www.orangemane.com/link/183). "We're not shutting the door on moving up or even moving back. We're listening to a lot of different teams. It's still early. We have talked to teams about moving up and moving back. We're not closing the door on any position."

I love how "I don't think we're closing the door on anything.....moving up or moving back" somehow turned into "The Browns are interested in Bradford".

misturanderson
03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Not legitimately no. But I look at the draft as getting the players we want and need. I do not care what round. In other words if we reach for skelton in the 2nd. (which NO One will) and get a guy like walden in the 4th...thats a trade out for me. Just because of need.

I still think that we are going to trade back some way, some how and load up on a fair amount of 2nds and or 3rds. Pitts is desperate for a CB, if haden falls to us at 11- they might come calling. We could then pick at 18 and gain a 2nd/3rd. -----Point is, if we have a luxury pick, I am all for it. But I believe that Skelton will be better than mcoy, pike and most of the other non first rd guys. To me its lefeaver and skelt. I will wait while both are on the list, but once one goes, then I consider reaching on the other. The rest of the qbs imo are and will be no better than Orton.

Fair enough. I personally think that Pike has more of the mental side down already than Skelton, but needs to work on bulking up a fair amount (10-15 lbs. of muscle probably). Skelton has everything that you could want physically, but wasn't able to put it together against weak competition. I would have a hard time picking Skelton over Pike personally if they're both available unless tape shows that Skelton's lack of production is due to a terrible supporting cast and not just that he didn't make the best plays.

oubronco
03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I love how "I don't think we're closing the door on anything.....moving up or moving back" somehow turned into "The Browns are interested in Bradford".

I thought it was funny too

chaz
03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
FWIW Scott Wright is pretty down on LeFevour...

oubronco
03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
He did improve every year

Rohirrim
03-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Not one of the QBs in the draft this year would help the Broncos next season, but improvements at NT, LG and C would help out considerably and are much more likely to get in the starting lineup quicker.

oubronco
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Not one of the QBs in the draft this year would help the Broncos next season, but improvements at NT, LG and C would help out considerably and are much more likely to get in the starting lineup quicker.

Yes sir you are correct

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-01-2010, 02:07 PM
FWIW Scott Wright is pretty down on LeFevour...

Sounds to me like we already have him on our roster... by the name of Tom Brandstater.

strafen
03-01-2010, 05:13 PM
FWIW Scott Wright is pretty down on LeFevour...Wow, those "cons" are just as bad as Tebow's.

Drek
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM

And a 4th to 6th round DL or OL would?

Outside of the first three rounds any draft pick is very unlikely to produce year one. Hell, outside of the 1st its a coin toss if they'll actually fit a role.

You need to draft based on talent and long term need, under the assumption that all but your early draft picks will need some time to grow.

This team needs another QB so that Simms can get bumped off the roster, Brandstater can become the #2, and McDaniels can start to develop his real QB of the future.

Short of an amazing slider falling in our lap we shouldn't take that guy until round 3, but at that point go for it.

My personal preferences would be John Skelton, who's a 4-6 rounder at this point and profiles very much like McDaniels previous pet project Kevin O'Connell, and Sean Canfield who reminds me a lot of Tom Brady coming out of college. Prototypical height, size, productive in college, excellent mechanics, but people question the arm strength. You give him a year or two to develop NFL levels of conditioning (adding probably 15-20 pounds) and have McDaniels take those mechanics from excellent to superb and he could be a late round steal in rounds 5-7.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-01-2010, 05:49 PM
I've never been high on Canfield. Seems like some scouts are the same...

01/28/10 - SENIOR BOWL FALLER: QB Sean Canfield, Oregon State: Canfield rode a breakout senior campaign to Mobile, but once there the first-team all-Pac-10 passer was unable to drive the ball consistently outside the hashes. Canfield's timing and touch could make him successful in a West Coast passing attack, but he may have eliminated his chances at being a top five quarterback with his weak-armed effort. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com 01/27/10 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Touch is one thing Oregon State's Sean Canfield has been able to show. It is his lack of arm-strength that has scouts concerned. Canfield rode a breakout senior campaign into an invitation to the Senior Bowl, but has done little thus far to show he has the arm necessary to be successful in the NFL. Canfield has to go into a full windup to get the ball to the sideline. Though the throws do get there, they arc and are slow in arriving, which will result in interceptions in the NFL. While the zip isn't there for the intermediate routes, Canfield was the North's most accurate deep-ball passer due to impressive touch and good trajectory. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

chaz
03-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Wow, those "cons" are just as bad as Tebow's.

Worse, I'd say. Leadership questions? Flustered under pressure? No thanks.

Not sure if that is the consensus on him, but definitely raises some red flags.

Hamrob
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
If we beef up the interior of our Oline, Orton will look considerably better than he did last year. So will Knowshon.Oh Yeah....considerably better! Please. Knowshon...perhaps? Orton, perhaps slightly better.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 06:22 PM

i agree. i seem to remember this guy being touted as having a howitzer for an arm

Rohirrim
03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
And a 4th to 6th round DL or OL would?

Outside of the first three rounds any draft pick is very unlikely to produce year one. Hell, outside of the 1st its a coin toss if they'll actually fit a role.

You need to draft based on talent and long term need, under the assumption that all but your early draft picks will need some time to grow.

This team needs another QB so that Simms can get bumped off the roster, Brandstater can become the #2, and McDaniels can start to develop his real QB of the future.

Short of an amazing slider falling in our lap we shouldn't take that guy until round 3, but at that point go for it.

My personal preferences would be John Skelton, who's a 4-6 rounder at this point and profiles very much like McDaniels previous pet project Kevin O'Connell, and Sean Canfield who reminds me a lot of Tom Brady coming out of college. Prototypical height, size, productive in college, excellent mechanics, but people question the arm strength. You give him a year or two to develop NFL levels of conditioning (adding probably 15-20 pounds) and have McDaniels take those mechanics from excellent to superb and he could be a late round steal in rounds 5-7.

Who said anything about 4th to 6th? I said on this thread that it would be a smart idea to take a QB in the later rounds. Canfield, in fact, if he's around in round 6. When I talk about taking linemen in this draft, I'm talking about rounds 1, 2 and 3. Priority. That's the reality of where this team is.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM

the problem with drafting a QB late like that, is that QB really going to be capable of becoming a good NFL starter? if we are going to draft a QB i say draft a guy with a real shot at becoming good and that would mean a QB by the 3rd round.

i know that late round guys have become really good players in this league, but realistically if Orton is not the answer, we have 1 year in which he will remain in Denver as our spotholder while we groom a replacement to take over in 2011.

now with a late round project guy like Canfield, or Skelton, is 1 year going to be enough time for that guy to get up to speed to play in the NFL and be at least comparable to what Orton will have done for us over 2 season or be even better when he takes over, or will after his year of learning, will he still need another year or 2 on the field to get up to speed?

with late round guys they are projects and need more time to develop, and right now this team doesn't have a lot of time to spend on developing a QB to take over

Aftermath
03-01-2010, 06:55 PM
skelton or lefevour

Rohirrim
03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
the problem with drafting a QB late like that, is that QB really going to be capable of becoming a good NFL starter? if we are going to draft a QB i say draft a guy with a real shot at becoming good and that would mean a QB by the 3rd round.

i know that late round guys have become really good players in this league, but realistically if Orton is not the answer, we have 1 year in which he will remain in Denver as our spotholder while we groom a replacement to take over in 2011.

now with a late round project guy like Canfield, or Skelton, is 1 year going to be enough time for that guy to get up to speed to play in the NFL and be at least comparable to what Orton will have done for us over 2 season or be even better when he takes over, or will after his year of learning, will he still need another year or 2 on the field to get up to speed?

with late round guys they are projects and need more time to develop, and right now this team doesn't have a lot of time to spend on developing a QB to take over

After the third round, the percentage of players at any position making it in this league starts dropping fast. I'm just talking about putting up some competition for Simms' spot. My personal opinion is that this is one of the weakest QB drafts I've ever seen. I wouldn't be sad if the Broncos didn't draft any of them, or just picked one up as a UDFA for camp fodder. My take is that if we can upgrade at LG and C, and Ryan Harris comes back healthy, we will suddenly get much better at the QB spot (with Orton) than many are willing to accept.

Bronco Yoda
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM
We shouldn't even waste our time drafting a QB this year.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 08:46 PM
After the third round, the percentage of players at any position making it in this league starts dropping fast. I'm just talking about putting up some competition for Simms' spot. My personal opinion is that this is one of the weakest QB drafts I've ever seen. I wouldn't be sad if the Broncos didn't draft any of them, or just picked one up as a UDFA for camp fodder. My take is that if we can upgrade at LG and C, and Ryan Harris comes back healthy, we will suddenly get much better at the QB spot (with Orton) than many are willing to accept.

i agree completely. Orton was a good player for us last season. I would be fine with the team giving him a long term deal now. i believe he is only going to get better

thumpc
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Jarret Brown in the 3rd.

gyldenlove
03-01-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't like a QB who has to change his throwing motion after college, that is just way too suspect for me, a little like a LB who can't tackle or a WR who can't catch or a RB who can't run.

BroncoMan4ever
03-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Jarret Brown in the 3rd.

god no!

i'd rather us use a 1st on Tebow than a 3rd on Brown

thumpc
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
god no!

i'd rather us use a 1st on Tebow than a 3rd on Brown

Whats wrong with him?

watermock
03-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Denver won't draft a QB.

It will bring in a FA.

God only knows tho.

We have crap now.

watermock
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Tebow?

OMG!

strafen
03-01-2010, 10:45 PM
If we beef up the interior of our Oline, Orton will look considerably better than he did last year. So will Knowshon.I would concede Knowshon could benefit from an OL suited to his running style and McDaniels system.
Orton will still be the same QB he was last year and throughout his career.
I don't expect much improvement from his style of playing...

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Whats wrong with him?

he started 1 season in college and suffered a concussion, and couldn't get time on the field away from Pat White who is far from a superstar QB, and his season was really nothing spectacular. something like 12 TDs and 9 INTs. also the fact that he is more of a runner than passer.

no thanks to him.

Drek
03-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Who said anything about 4th to 6th? I said on this thread that it would be a smart idea to take a QB in the later rounds. Canfield, in fact, if he's around in round 6. When I talk about taking linemen in this draft, I'm talking about rounds 1, 2 and 3. Priority. That's the reality of where this team is.

Sure, but unless Bradford or Claussen slides to us who would the Broncos even take?

McCoy and LeFevour don't seem like great fits for our system. Tebow and Jarrett Brown both have big mechanical and NFL system knowledge questions that will push them down in the draft. Tony Pike looks like a skeleton someone strapped pads around as a Halloween joke.

Short of one of the two elite QBs sliding there isn't even a QB we'd look at for quite a while. ****ty class for QBs.

My personal preference would be trading a late round pick to the Jets for Kevin O'Connell. He's got a year in McDaniels system and now another year of play under Brian Schottenheimer who seems like a pretty good QB developer. He's young and he'd be able to challenge Orton from day one here.

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2010, 05:19 AM
My personal preference would be trading a late round pick to the Jets for Kevin O'Connell. He's got a year in McDaniels system and now another year of play under Brian Schottenheimer who seems like a pretty good QB developer. He's young and he'd be able to challenge Orton from day one here.

I like the idea of trading for O'Connell, but another guy who has always intrigued me, that I liked going all the way back to his college days is Brian Brohm. He was a 2nd round pick and was being labeled as a potential top 20 pick in 2008, he has talent but has just been put into slightly ****ty situations where he hasn't really had the opportunity to showcase talent or mature into an NFL passer.

i think with a year of learning from McDaniels in this type of scheme he could become a really good QB

rmsanger
03-02-2010, 05:35 AM
I concur with the trench/line hype for the first 3 rounds if there is enough depth in this draft? I would love to get a Ryan Clady part deux in the first round. We need help at OG, C, and NT. All of these holes could help propel the team forward for the next 5 years.

I mean lets look at what the Jets have done!

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2010, 05:53 AM
I concur with the trench/line hype for the first 3 rounds if there is enough depth in this draft? I would love to get a Ryan Clady part deux in the first round. We need help at OG, C, and NT. All of these holes could help propel the team forward for the next 5 years.

I mean lets look at what the Jets have done!

get Iupati in the 1st round then. Pair him with Clady on the left side and form a duo that will be formidable for the next decade.

Dedhed
03-02-2010, 06:26 AM
I expect we finagle a handful of picks in the first 3-4 rounds, and we should definitely take a QB with one of those picks.

Skelton is my target. Big, Strong armed, mobile.

I'm not a fan of Lefevour at all. Showed a weaker than expected arm at the combine (throwing only to stationary targets. Scouts questioned his leadership and ability under pressure.

His unwillingness to throw at the combine shows a penchant for shying away from pressure.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Anyone have thoughts on Zac Robinson? Could be had in the fourth round, plays in a spread offense already, has good footwork and can escape trouble, a strong (but not elite) arm... sorta seems like McDaniels' kind of guy.

Tombstone RJ
03-02-2010, 09:49 AM

But, but, but... it's a deep draft for QBs!

Tombstone RJ
03-02-2010, 09:59 AM
he started 1 season in college and suffered a concussion, and couldn't get time on the field away from Pat White who is far from a superstar QB, and his season was really nothing spectacular. something like 12 TDs and 9 INTs. also the fact that he is more of a runner than passer.

no thanks to him.

He's got a live arm, that's for sure. But, he's a project and not really a McD type of QB.

strafen
03-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Tell us what should we do about the QB situation.
What do you think we should do?

Dagmar
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Tell us what should we do about the QB situation.
What do you think we should do?

Orton with Brand as back up, draft a QB in 2011 if Brand doesn't show enough to Josh as a back up or Orton doesn't have a career year.

HAT
03-02-2010, 11:53 AM

This sentence makes no sense at all as there is a huge difference between 'last year' and 'throughout his career'.

How can something be 'the same' as two different things?

strafen
03-02-2010, 03:08 PM
This sentence makes no sense at all as there is a huge difference between 'last year' and 'throughout his career'.

How can something be 'the same' as two different things?If you're talking numbers and stats, yes, every year is different.
As far as being the QB he is, it is what he is.

Whatever you've seen in Orton is all you're ever going to get.
There's a reason why he hasn't gotten a vote of confidence from the Broncos organization.
For somebody who is as young as Orton is and for the Broncos to be talking about drafting a QB tells you everything you need to know...
Can we get by with Orton for one more year?
I think that's possible as I can also see as possibility they may sign him for a short-term contract....

errand
03-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Oh yeah. Bowlen admits Orton is not the long term solution he looks for.

You should never pass up the chance to draft better players and improve the team...having said that Kyle Orton threw for 3800 yards, 21 TD's and only 12 INT's running a new offense....and in my opinion has earned the chance to lead the team another season.

On a side note why does everyone think that the Broncos are looking to replace Orton...did it ever occur that they're looking at replacing the two clowns (in particular Simms who played like an abortion)we got behind him?

Baba Booey
03-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Anyone have thoughts on Zac Robinson? Could be had in the fourth round, plays in a spread offense already, has good footwork and can escape trouble, a strong (but not elite) arm... sorta seems like McDaniels' kind of guy.

I'd be pumped if we got Robinson. Had a down Senior year but was the man in '08.

Skelton is enormous. If he's reminding people of Flacco, I'd be thrilled if we picked him up. Let him hold a clipboard for a year.

errand
03-02-2010, 03:43 PM

I agree....

sure, you're always looking for the next Elway, or Davis...but you need to fix the biggest problems first. Our defense gave up way too many points over the course of the 2nd half of the season. We even gave up 20 to the anemic Raiders who coincidently hit 20 points or more only 3 times all year.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
For the record, I wouldn't mind Claussen, though he seems a bit douchey, and I'm not sure he could handle the hard coaching of McD..

errand
03-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm wondering why none of the "Brandstater over Orton" guys aren't in here telling us how we've already got our QB of the future?

errand
03-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I would concede Knowshon could benefit from an OL suited to his running style and McDaniels system.
I don't expect much improvement from his style of playing...

How much more improvement does Orton need to show? Should he throw for say 27 TD's and 26 INT's before you think he's a good enough QB to lead our team?

strafen
03-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm wondering why none of the "Brandstater over Orton" guys aren't in here telling us how we've already got our QB of the future?

I don't think there's enough to go by to make that determination.
I think he may get his shot at competing this up coming season.
We haven't seen enough of TB to say one way or the other...

strafen
03-02-2010, 03:59 PM
How much more improvement does Orton need to show? Should he throw for say 27 TD's and 26 INT's before you think he's a good enough QB to lead our team?i'm talking something beyond the numbers and stats.
I'm talking about the qualities you look in a QB that Orton does not have...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
i'm talking something beyond the numbers and stats.
I'm talking about the qualities you look in a QB that Orton does not have...

Like... leadership? Knowing the playbook? Making good decisions?

Which qualities are those exactly?

As for Brandstater... we haven't seen much of him, but the coaching staff has. The fact that he was unable to supplant the god-awful Chris Simms as the number 2 says an awful lot. The fact that the god-awful Chris Simms is still on the roster says even more.

By the way, I think Chris Simms should legally change his name to "The god-awful Chris Simms." Just throwing that out there.

Caligula
03-02-2010, 04:07 PM
if we offer Orton a short contract, I hope its a VERY short contract.

Caligula
03-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Like the ability to be above average. Being afraid to make a bad decision is much different than making good ones. Orton doesn't have what it takes to be a play maker. He has only what it takes to be a game manager. Someone that will work hard on not losing the game, but never having what it takes to win it for you.

Otherwise, he has the perfect skill set to be an excellent back-up QB in the league. Which is where he is headed, very quickly.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Like the ability to be above average. Being afraid to make a bad decision is much different than making good ones. Orton doesn't have what it takes to be a play maker. He has only what it takes to be a game manager. Someone that will work hard on not losing the game, but never having what it takes to win it for you.

Otherwise, he has the perfect skill set to be an excellent back-up QB in the league. Which is where he is headed, very quickly.

I would argue that not making a bad decision is the very definition of making a good decision.

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2010, 04:25 PM
He's got a live arm, that's for sure. But, he's a project and not really a McD type of QB.

see that's the problem with Broncos fans anymore. The majority of us don't want any QB unless he has a howitzer for an arm.

It is literally at the point that if hypothetically Peyton Manning were available in this draft at 11 when we pick, the majority of this board would be against drafting him because he doesn't have an Elwayesque arm.

errand
03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't think there's enough to go by to make that determination.
I think he may get his shot at competing this up coming season.
We haven't seen enough of TB to say one way or the other...

..and yet oddly enough, when this very argument was made by many of us during the pre-season, it was met with much belly-grabbing laughter

errand
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Jay never saw a pass he didn't think he could complete...which is why he's thrown 44 INT's the past two seasons...which is more than Orton has thrown in his entire career.

errand
03-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I would argue that not making a bad decision is the very definition of making a good decision.

True dat!

Again we're faced with the typical ignorant fans who discount winning games and leadership because they like frozen ropes being thrown by the QB.

Afterall, how do you explain QB's that have won about 65-75% of theirstarts (Plummer, Orton) being lambasted on here from day one....

oubronco
03-02-2010, 05:01 PM

Which qualities are those exactly?

As for Brandstater... we haven't seen much of him, but the coaching staff has. The fact that he was unable to supplant the god-awful Chris Simms as the number 2 says an awful lot. The fact that the god-awful Chris Simms is still on the roster says even more.

By the way, I think Chris Simms should legally change his name to "The god-awful Chris Simms." Just throwing that out there.

I think someone should kick the shyt out of McD for still having Chrissy Simms on the team

Dedhed
03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Skelton is enormous. If he's reminding people of Flacco, I'd be thrilled if we picked him up. Let him hold a clipboard for a year.

He reminds me more of Roethlisberger than Flacco.

He's much more mobile than Flacco.

chaz
03-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Bingo.

HAT
03-02-2010, 10:23 PM
65%
24+ TDs
12- INTs
11-5

Book it haters.

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2010, 11:20 PM
65%
24+ TDs
12- INTs
11-5

Book it haters.

With Orton in 2010 I am predicting around 27 TDs, around 10-13 INTs, a completion percentage right around 65-70% and a playoff berth stemming from a 10-6 to 12-4 record

strafen
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
65%
24+ TDs
12- INTs
11-5

Book it haters.lol!
Do you realize that for Orton to throw for 4300 yards he would have to average 268+ yards a game?
Just food for thought...

I think he could throw for 24 TD's

For us to be 11-5 with Orton as our QB we will need an impact top 5 scoring defense and a very good running game behind him

Baba Booey
03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
He reminds me more of Roethlisberger than Flacco.

He's much more mobile than Flacco.

Good call.

BroncoMan4ever
03-03-2010, 12:32 AM
lol!
Do you realize that for Orton to throw for 4300 yards he would have to average 268+ yards a game?
Just food for thought...

For us to be 11-5 with Orton as our QB we will need an impact top 5 scoring defense and a very good running game behind him

if we improve the line from the complete revolving door it was last season this offense easily adds around another TD per game to our season total. this would easily go from a 20 PPG offense with a bad line, to a good line helping this offense become a 27 PPG team.

and Orton averaged 238 yards a game this past season. i think with an improved line giving him an extra couple seconds to go through his reads he can easily add another 30 yards onto his per game average.

HAT
03-03-2010, 12:37 AM
lol!

LOL all you want.

To answer the original question:

560 attempts x 65% = 364 completions
12 Y/C x 364 = 4,368 yards
24+ TD
12- INT

Those type of numbers translate roughly into a top 8-10 QB and worthy of an extension IMO.

Orton in 2009:
541 attempts x 62.1% = 336 completions
11.3 Y/C x 336 = 3802 yards
21 TD
12 INT

That is not too big of jump to expect in year two in the system with what should be a better all around offense.

To hit the 2010 numbers I projected......

He needs to improve from 21/34 per game to 23/35.
Each completion needs to go for 25" more than they did in 2009.
Leave 3 less TD's on the field over the course of 4 months.
Simply throw no more INT's than 2009.

Easy.

chaz
03-03-2010, 12:37 AM
I don't think anyone, or at least not myself for sure, hate Orton. He's a solid but unspectacular QB. I don't think many would argue with that; he's simply not special. I think the biggest difference opinion lies in whether or not you need a special qb to win championships. I say you do (90% of the time, and i'll play those odds).

*WARHORSE*
03-03-2010, 12:46 AM
if we improve the line from the complete revolving door it was last season this offense easily adds around another TD per game to our season total. this would easily go from a 20 PPG offense with a bad line, to a good line helping this offense become a 27 PPG team.

and Orton averaged 238 yards a game this past season. i think with an improved line giving him an extra couple seconds to go through his reads he can easily add another 30 yards onto his per game average.

I agree.

Second year in the system........young, monster interior linemen instead of old, light, ZBS players brings power at the goaline.

How many times were we stuffed at the goaline last year?

I wouldnt mind Trent Williams, Bulaga or Okung at our pick.

Everyone in the league is opening up their offenses.

Our defensive secondary, with a little more pressure is going to KILL.

Bring in a smashmouth offensive line that eats up clock and finishes off drives with 7 pts vs 3, and we will be able to compete with anyone.

Think TEXANS when they played the Rams in the superbowl.

Smashmouth with a defense.

strafen
03-03-2010, 12:56 AM
I don't think anyone, or at least not myself for sure, hate Orton. He's a solid but unspectacular QB. I don't think many would argue with that; he's simply not special. I think the biggest difference opinion lies in whether or not you need a special qb to win championships. I say you do (90% of the time, and i'll play those odds).I agree.
I just don't think he's that type of QB who's going to put up some out of this world numbers.
He's just not that type of QB.
He's serviceable, he can be a good QB for the time being, but not a QB you want to mortgage your future and put it all on the line with him.

I've been watching Orton since he was in Chicago. This got nothing to do with McDaniels having gotten him.
It's simply that the guy sucks. I mean, I can not put it in any other way.
When he was in Chicago, I remember criticizing him for how terrible he was. I even remember telling my buddy, man, I'm glad we don't have that guy on our team (The Broncos)
Guess what?
Little did I know my worse nightmare came true, and Orton is the starting QB for the Denver Broncos.

Even after we got him, I was open about giving Orton a chance to prove me wrong. I thought a better OL, a good offensive system and a good running game that he was going to really excel and prove his critics wrong.

Unfortunatley, he wasn't able to win me over. I saw the exact same thing I saw in Chicago.

There's yet one more chance this upcoming season for him to prove his critic wrong.
This time with a "better" OL, an extra year under the system not only for him but for the rest of the offensive team, and hopefully an "improved" defense.

In other words, this is his year.

ZONA
03-03-2010, 02:37 AM

If Bradford is not taken first, then only two QBs will probably be taken on the first day: Bradford and Clausen. This drops a relatively deep QB class to the second round where LeFevour and McCoy will probably go next.

Doesn't make a difference if Bradfor goes #1 to the Rams or #4 to the Skins or even later in the 1st round, although I doubt he is still on the board after the 10th pick. He's going in the top 10 and I don't see how that affects when the other QB's go. He was always projected to go mid to high first round and the other QB's will go when they go, it has no bearing if Bradford goes a few spots earlier.

ZONA
03-03-2010, 02:40 AM

We will see soon enough. If the Broncos take a QB in round 1 or 2, they don't think Orton is the answer and that Brandstater hasn't shown enough yet. If they don't take a QB at all or until late in the draft, that means they probably like Brandstaters improvements and that he could push Orton for the starting job this summer. That's how I see it unfolding.

Lzray
03-03-2010, 04:56 AM

Dude that is so funny, ambien will do some weird stuff to you, i take it to... lol

Lzray
03-03-2010, 04:57 AM

Maybe I'm just an optimist but I see Campbell doing well with a good running game behind him and a good defense. He can make plays, hell he made plays against the Broncos this last year.

Agreed, Shanny can work with this guy, no dout!!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-03-2010, 07:08 AM
We will see soon enough. If the Broncos take a QB in round 1 or 2, they don't think Orton is the answer and that Brandstater hasn't shown enough yet. If they don't take a QB at all or until late in the draft, that means they probably like Brandstaters improvements and that he could push Orton for the starting job this summer. That's how I see it unfolding.

Or it could mean that Brandstater is nothing more than a backup, and they think they can get starting-level talent at the position later (3rd or 4th round) in the draft.

dragster, you're a lost cause.

UberBroncoMan
03-03-2010, 07:31 AM

That's who I want too. The guy seems to have it all. He's tall, big arm, mobile... and I believe he's smart too. Did a good job at the Sr. Bowl too with all that pressure.

I wouldn't mind dumping Simms, moving Brandstater to backup and taking LeFevour. Then we'll have some competition for who will take the reigns from Orton when he's done here... and whoever wins it between the two is likely to be pretty good by then. Unless of course Orton turns into some sort of stud QB next year on.

lostknight
03-03-2010, 05:45 PM
All of the signs coming from the front office is that Brandstater will be the man... eventually. They have one more year of Simms contract to eat, and Orton showed flashes when Josh took off the leash.

Fundamental problem with Orton is that he doesn't hit receivers in stride, and the Bronco's current offense is too limited to take advantage of what Eddie Royal can do.

Cito Pelon
03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
There's no stud QB's available in this draft. I don't see the appeal for Bradford and Clausen. Bradford, ok, but his throwing shoulder was wrecked. Clausen, he's not real good.

Pike and LeFevour are maybe the best projects that Denver can get.

errand
03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
lol!
Just food for thought...

Orton threw for 3800 yards this past season...4300 isn't that big of a stretch.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
03-04-2010, 07:20 AM
All of the signs coming from the front office is that Brandstater will be the man... eventually. They have one more year of Simms contract to eat, and Orton showed flashes when Josh took off the leash.

Fundamental problem with Orton is that he doesn't hit receivers in stride, and the Bronco's current offense is too limited to take advantage of what Eddie Royal can do.

Which signs are those? The ones where he couldn't beat out Simms for the second string job? Or the one where Bowlen said he wanted to draft a QB this off season?

Sorry, but when you can't beat out an epileptic amputee for the second string position, I don't think anyone is saying you're "the man." In fact, the signs you're talking about say something closer to "Do Not Enter."

Caligula
03-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Branstater will NEVER see the field as a starter (without injury to the starting QB). All signs so far, point that Brandstater is nothing different than 99% of the 6th round QBs to be drafted. Practice fodder.

bowtown
03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Branstater will NEVER see the field as a starter (without injury to the starting QB). All signs so far, point that Brandstater is nothing different than 99% of the 6th round QBs to be drafted. Practice fodder.

Because Brady and the rest of that 1% you refer to all really lit it up in their rookie seasons.

I'm not exactly sure what you were hoping to see. I would say that 100% of 6th round QB picks show nothing different than what Brandstater has at this point in their respective carreers.

jhns
03-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I want Bradford. If we end up getting extra picks for a FA or two, I would love to trade up for him. Of course, that is if he makes it past 1. I don't really care about the cost. There is no cap and it isn't my money. Bowlen can use the money he isn't paying the proven players on the future at QB.

elpasojoe
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
According to things I have read, Skelton is a late pick or UDFA. He could be an inexpensive project.