PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 Quake Rocks Chile, Tsunami Alert Issued

Spider
02-27-2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35615455/ns/world_news-americas/?gt1=43001
and in Other news , Mike Shanahan former coach of the Denver Broncos , Now wit hthe Washington Redskins , says Denver is on the verge .............Back to your petty bull**** people

Dagmar
02-27-2010, 08:53 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/27/article-1254171-087DFB27000005DC-259_468x464_popup.jpg

Pony Boy
02-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Get the Surfboards ready in Hawaii...............

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 09:31 AM
During a trip to Hawaii, I recall looking at the pics of the 1960 tsunami hitting Hilo.

Hopefully, this one is nothing like as big.

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/web_tsus/19600522/19600522pic1.gif

The largest earthquake ever recorded struck the same area of Chile in 1960.
The deadly wave that it caused raced across the Pacific and hit the Hilo area of the Big Island, where 61 people were killed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35616401/ns/us_news

ColoradoDarin
02-27-2010, 09:35 AM
My wife's sister and her fiancee live in Concepcion near where the earthquake hit. Haven't heard from them yet because all the communications are down in that area. The State Dept is getting the names and addresses of Americans there and trying to contact them. Hopefully we'll hear from them soon.

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 09:40 AM
My wife's sister and her fiancee live in Concepcion near where the earthquake hit. Haven't heard from them yet because all the communications are down in that area. The State Dept is getting the names and addresses of Americans there and trying to contact them. Hopefully we'll hear from them soon.

I hope they're safe and sound. :thumbsup:

Los Broncos
02-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Dam that's scary, hopefully everyone will be alright.

FantomForce
02-27-2010, 10:33 AM
First Spider thank you for starting this thread, I really wasn't sure how many people on orangemane have vested interest in Chile. I am grateful for my friends and family there, thanks to all who have posted on here and I hope to hear from someone there soon. Thoughts and prayers with all of those affected

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Chile well prepared for quakes

By Jonathan Amos
Science correspondent, BBC News
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46474000/gif/_46474940_ring_of_fire.gif

It is not possible to predict the time and magnitude of an earthquake, but certain places on the Earth know they are always at risk from big tremors. Chile is one of those places.

It lies on the "Ring of Fire", the line of frequent quakes and volcanic eruptions that circles virtually the entire Pacific rim.

The magnitude 8.8 event that struck the country at 0634GMT on Saturday occurred at the boundary between the Nazca and South American tectonic plates, just off shore and at a depth of about 35km (20 miles).

The biggest city close by is Concepcion, just over 100km to the south.

Collapsed buildings and widespread disruption will have been unavoidable.

Because the quake occurred below the sea floor, tsunamis were also generated, and alerts were issued not just for the Chilean coast but across the Pacific in general.

The Nazca and South American tectonic plates are vast slabs of the Earth's surface and grind past each other at a rate of about 80mm per year.

The Nazca plate, which makes up the Pacific Ocean floor in this region, is being pulled down and under the South American coast.

It makes the region one of the most seismically active on the globe.

Since 1973, there have been 13 events of magnitude 7.0 or greater.

Saturday's shock had its epicentre some 230km north of the source of the magnitude 9.5 tremor of May, 1960 - the biggest instrumentally recorded earthquake in the world. Thousands died in that event.

And it was also about 870km south of the 1922 8.5 event which killed several hundred people in central Chile.

Saturday's tremor is therefore something of a gap-filler between two massive historical events.

French and Chilean seismologists had recently completed a study looking at the way the land was moving in response to the strain building up as a result of the tectonic collision. Their analysis suggested the area was ripe for a big quake.

"This earthquake fills in an identified seismic gap," Dr Roger Musson, who is the British Geological Survey's Head of Seismic Hazard, told BBC News.

"The last major earthquake that occurred in this area was in 1835. This was a famous earthquake observed by Charles Darwin during his voyage on the Beagle. This is a place where the stress has been gathering for 170 years, and finally it's gone in another earthquake that's repeated this famous historical quake."

As is nearly always the case, the region was hit by a series of aftershocks. In the two and a half hours following the 90-second 8.8 event, the US Geological Survey reported 11 aftershocks, of which five measured 6.0 or above.

People will no doubt reflect on the scale of this event and compare it with the recent devastation in Haiti which has claimed an estimated 230,000 lives.

Saturday's quake was almost 1,000 times more powerful than the one to hit Port-au-Prince in Haiti. But size is not in itself an indicator of the likely number of deaths.

One major factor which will limit the number of deaths in Chile will be its greater level of preparedness.

Both the Chilean authorities and the Chilean people are generally well versed in how to cope in such an emergency.

Severe shaking

The Chilean National Emergency Office (Onemi) is responsible for coordinating responses from services such as fire fighters, medical teams and civil defence.

The emergency response system is organised at national, regional and local level.

"Chile is a seismic country. So, we must be prepared!" is the message from Onemi.

The office provides advice on how to prepare for earthquakes and other disasters, and how to behave when one strikes.

Scientists say severe shaking is likely to have been experienced along a 300km stretch of coastline, including in important urban centres such as Concepcion, Arauco, Lota, and Constitucion.

The biggest city close to the epicentre is Concepcion, which forms part of the second largest conurbation in the country with a population of about one million.

It is the capital of Concepcion Province and the Bio Bio region, the name of the river that flows through it.

Concepcion's history has been marked by earthquakes. After a huge tremor in 1751, Concepcion was moved from its original site, currently the town of Penco, to a location further from the sea in the Mocha Valley.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8540522.stm

DomCasual
02-27-2010, 11:08 AM
We have three families in our neighborhood that have sons on Mormon missions there. Two of them are kids I know really well - I hope they're okay.

strafen
02-27-2010, 11:24 AM
This is one of mother nature's biggest wrath.
Unbelievably powerful
I hope for the best for your family...

Spider
02-27-2010, 11:29 AM
8.8 ............... thats a George Foreman Punch .............. I dont think even an American city with all of our Building codes could handle this ............How big was the one in San Fransisco back in the early 1900's ?

ant1999e
02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35615455/ns/world_news-americas/?gt1=43001
and in Other news , Mike Shanahan former coach of the Denver Broncos , Now wit hthe Washington Redskins , says Denver is on the verge .............Back to your petty bull**** people

Seriously, I can't believe people talk about football here. WTF.

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 11:33 AM
8.8 ............... thats a George Foreman Punch .............. I dont think even an American city with all of our Building codes could handle this ............How big was the one in San Fransisco back in the early 1900's ?

This statistic is almost incomprehensible to me.

Saturday's quake was almost 1,000 times more powerful than the one to hit Port-au-Prince in Haiti.

ant1999e
02-27-2010, 11:34 AM

7.9 says the great Wikipedia.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/nca/1906/18april/magnitude.php

Spider
02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Seriously, I can't believe people talk about football here. WTF.

Well i didnt want the Idiots screaming off topic , football forum etc .........

ant1999e
02-27-2010, 11:35 AM
well i didnt want the idiots screaming off topic , football forum etc .........

lol

Spider
7.9 says the great Wikipedia.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/nca/1906/18april/magnitude.php

I wonder how much difference there is in a 7.9 and a 8.8............ That 7.9 almost destroyed San Fran

Spider
This statistic is almost incomprehensible to me.

same here ............8.8 just wow ..........

strafen
02-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I wonder how much difference there is in a 7.9 and a 8.8............ That 7.9 almost destroyed San FranTen fold according to the Richter scale.

The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude of the largest displacement from zero on a Wood–Anderson torsion seismometer output. So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

On the Richter Scale, magnitude is expressed in whole numbers and decimal fractions. For example, a magnitude 5.3 might be computed for a moderate earthquake, and a strong earthquake might be rated as magnitude 6.3. Because of the logarithmic basis of the scale, each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/richter.php

Spider
02-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Ten fold according to the Richter scale.

The Richter magnitude scale, also known as the local magnitude (ML) scale, assigns a single number to quantify the amount of seismic energy released by an earthquake. It is a base-10 logarithmic scale obtained by calculating the logarithm of the combined horizontal amplitude of the largest displacement from zero on a Wood–Anderson torsion seismometer output. So, for example, an earthquake that measures 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times larger than one that measures 4.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

On the Richter Scale, magnitude is expressed in whole numbers and decimal fractions. For example, a magnitude 5.3 might be computed for a moderate earthquake, and a strong earthquake might be rated as magnitude 6.3. Because of the logarithmic basis of the scale, each whole number increase in magnitude represents a tenfold increase in measured amplitude

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/richter.php

10 fold .............wow , that 8.8 was a monster then .....

strafen
02-27-2010, 11:48 AM
10 fold .............wow , that 8.8 was a monster then .....

Yup. That's hard to believe that an 8.8 earthquake is 10 times stronger in magnitude than a 7.8 earthquake.

Florida_Bronco
02-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Wow. That is bad.

Spider
02-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Yup. That's hard to believe that an 8.8 earthquake is 10 times stronger in magnitude than a 7.8 earthquake.

Last night I caught a show on TV , dont know the name of it , or what channel it was on ( channel surfing) but it was a show about an earth quake that hits America from the Dakotas down to the Gulf stream in texas ,, creating a massive river seperatin the US ...........

Archer81
02-27-2010, 11:53 AM
I wonder how much difference there is in a 7.9 and a 8.8............ That 7.9 almost destroyed San Fran

The 1905 quake leveled San Francisco. Most of the buildings either collapsed or caught on fire and burned to the ground.

:Broncos:

Spider
02-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I guess the aftershocks can last for weeks

Spider
02-27-2010, 11:56 AM
The 1905 quake leveled San Francisco. Most of the buildings either collapsed or caught on fire and burned to the ground.

And that was just a 7.9 ........ I know there are a bunch of building codes etc , designed to handle earthquakes to save lives and property , But an 8.8 ...wow

strafen
02-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I guess the aftershocks can last for weeksThat's what keeps your guard up.
An aftershock of an 8.8 earthquake can be equally devastating.

Archer81
02-27-2010, 12:02 PM
And that was just a 7.9 ........ I know there are a bunch of building codes etc , designed to handle earthquakes to save lives and property , But an 8.8 ...wow

Alot of the codes in effect in the US stem from the 1905 quake. If an 8.8 went off near the California coastline, Socal might be its own island right now.

Spider
I guess Hawaii is gettin ready for a Tsunami in 2 hours

Spider
That's what keeps your guard up.
An aftershock of an 8.8 earthquake can be equally devastating.

I guess 1 after shock was 6.9

Spider
02-27-2010, 12:04 PM
we got the means to help Chile , send the Navy ..........

strafen
02-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I guess Hawaii is gettin ready for a Tsunami in 2 hoursThat's got to be terrifying man.
An island can be sumerged under water in no time.
I need to call one of my buddies who has a kid living in Hawaii. I wonder if he even knows what's going on.

Spider
02-27-2010, 12:06 PM
That's got to be terrifying man.
An island can be sumerged under water in no time.
I need to call one of my buddies who has a kid living in Hawaii. I wonder if he even knows what's going on.

Lets hope so .............i would hate for Hawaii to get hit , someone told me on the phone , cant confirm it yet , but a wall of water 147 foot High

Flex Gunmetal
02-27-2010, 12:20 PM

The biggest difference will be the advanced architecture and infrastructure developed over the last 100 years. Mostly san fran fell and burned. Chile shouldn't be nearly as destructive, but still damn serious.
Hoping for the best.

Flex Gunmetal
02-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Lets hope so .............i would hate for Hawaii to get hit , someone told me on the phone , cant confirm it yet , but a wall of water 147 foot High

Jesus. Got a few friends in Hawaii. :(

Spider
02-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Jesus. Got a few friends in Hawaii. :(

well that wall of water is just hear say ................ So I wouldnt put much stock in that height

Ratboy
02-27-2010, 12:33 PM
That is crazy, I know how they feel, that **** can be scary.

Hopefully this tsunami is nothing.

Spider
02-27-2010, 12:39 PM
That is crazy, I know how they feel, that **** can be scary.

Hopefully this tsunami is nothing.

they just said on TV , that the Tsunami is travelin at the speed of a jet , and that even a 6 foot wall of water at that speed is devastating...........But the saving grace is , when a Tsunami hits shallow water it slows down alot ......

strafen
02-27-2010, 12:39 PM
well that wall of water is just hear say ................ So I wouldnt put much stock in that heightThe earthquake that hit Chile is hundred times stronger than the one that hit Haiti a few weeks ago.
This was an enormous earthquake, folks.

Spider
02-27-2010, 12:41 PM
The earthquake that hit Chile is hundred times stronger than the one that hit Haiti a few weeks ago.
This was an enormous earthquake, folks.

I can imagine the death toll raising as weeks go by , Lets just hope and pray ( if you pray) that we have seen the worse ..........

Archer81
02-27-2010, 12:44 PM
they just said on TV , that the Tsunami is travelin at the speed of a jet , and that even a 6 foot wall of water at that speed is devastating...........But the saving grace is , when a Tsunami hits shallow water it slows down alot ......

It also gets taller in shallow water.

strafen
02-27-2010, 12:53 PM
they just said on TV , that the Tsunami is travelin at the speed of a jet , and that even a 6 foot wall of water at that speed is devastating...........But the saving grace is , when a Tsunami hits shallow water it slows down alot ......Let's pray for the best.
As I've said, this got to be terrifying.
You've got to wonder what people are thinking right now as they embrace for imminent tsunami arrival.
My prayers go out to all of them that this won't be as catastrophic as predicted...

bpc
02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
I think the Eywa is mad at Earth's civilians.

Spider
02-27-2010, 01:13 PM
It also gets taller in shallow water.

dayum ........... i didnt know that ..........you would think it would get smaller dues to shallow water

Archer81
02-27-2010, 01:16 PM
dayum ........... i didnt know that ..........you would think it would get smaller dues to shallow water

The energy of displacing that much water radiates out, as it gets into the shallows, it sucks water in, adding height to the wave.

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Fortunately, the Islands have lots of elevation and there's enough warning for people to leave the beach areas.

strafen
02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
dayum ........... i didnt know that ..........you would think it would get smaller dues to shallow waterThat's where all the packed energy gets released. Needless to say, that's the end of its travel right there.

baja
02-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I used to live on Hilo Bay on the big island. This could be bad there

Paladin
02-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Anyone in Cali get hit yet? My son lives near San Luis Obispo.......

baja
02-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Anyone in Cali get hit yet? My son lives near San Luis Obispo.......

I'm in Cabo should get the full brunt of it, nothing yet...

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I heard its an 8 foot wall. But yeah, thats devastating enough. I dont know that cali is on alert, it should have hit hawaii by now i think.

strafen
02-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I heard its an 8 foot wall. But yeah, thats devastating enough. I dont know that cali is on alert, it should have hit hawaii by now i think.

I was watching MSNBC and they were showing some shots of the shore. I don't know if it was a live action, but I could hear the emergency sirens going off and some people were still surfing on the beach!
That's crazy!
That's something you would expect to live to tell the story!

gunns
02-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Wow, that was a huge earthquake. I've been in 4 magnitude that scared the hell out of me. My prayers are with the people in Chile, those in Hawaii, and it sounds like the west coast could get some damage. Not getting the right bed delivery this morning seems so very trivial right now.

strafen
02-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow, that was a huge earthquake. I've been in 4 magnitude that scared the hell out of me. My prayers are with the people in Chile, those in Hawaii, and it sounds like the west coast could get some damage. Not getting the right bed delivery this morning seems so very trivial right now.

Are you in Cali?

baja
02-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Wow, that was a huge earthquake. I've been in 4 magnitude that scared the hell out of me. My prayers are with the people in Chile, those in Hawaii, and it sounds like the west coast could get some damage. <b> Not getting the right bed delivery this morning seems so very trivial right now.

OK is this code for disappointing sex???

Hogan11
02-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Not much happening in Hawaii thus far

Paladin
02-27-2010, 03:24 PM
More code?

Ratboy
02-27-2010, 03:34 PM
News sources are saying the tsunami has started to hit Hawaii, any updates from Hawaii?

Spider
02-27-2010, 03:40 PM
News sources are saying the tsunami has started to hit Hawaii, any updates from Hawaii?

Not much bro .............

strafen
02-27-2010, 04:06 PM
They're saying that the tsunami is no longer a threat in the magnitude of a wipe-out power they first anticipated.
That said, they still expect some high waves and some flooding/water damage...

strafen
02-27-2010, 04:11 PM
The Chile earthquake was reported to have lasted at least 2 minutes.
That must've felt like an eternity and makes you wonder at that point in time if it'll ever end...
Damn!

ColoradoDarin
02-27-2010, 04:25 PM
We heard from my sister in law and her fiancee - they're alright and their apartment was basically ok (just some broken things inside). Didn't want to tie up the phone lines for long, so we didn't get much detail, but we're just happy that they're ok.

strafen
02-27-2010, 04:27 PM
We heard from my sister in law and her fiancee - they're alright and their apartment was basically ok (just some broken things inside). Didn't want to tie up the phone lines for long, so we didn't get much detail, but we're just happy that they're ok.That's definitely good news! ^5

bombay
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Now a 4.2 has hit near Oklahoma City. Maybe it's spreading.

Spider
02-28-2010, 10:15 AM
man Sorry for Chile , but happy the devastation didnt spread out to far

FantomForce
02-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Heard back from my friends and family, everyone is scared but ok. Thanks again to everyone

strafen
02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Heard back from my friends and family, everyone is scared but ok. Thanks again to everyoneGood to hear... :thumbsup:

Rigs11
02-28-2010, 10:22 PM
I have family back in Santiago. I was finally able to get a hold of some of them. Evryone's ok thank God.many of them are scared and without water ot electricity.

strafen
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I have family back in Santiago. I was finally able to get a hold of some of them. Evryone's ok thank God.many of them are scared and without water ot electricity.Not many people in the world get to experience an earthquake of an 8.8 magnitude.
That was as bad as it can get.
I'm glad your family members made out ok.