PDA

View Full Version : Should we go after Darren Sproles?

long beach bronco
02-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Next Friday is the start of free agency, despite all the other needs we have on our team, wouldn't Sproles be an intriguing prospect? He would immediately upgrade our special teams and Orton would love him with the screen passes. Our offense would be upgraded with this signing. I would love to have him here.

Drunk Monkey
02-27-2010, 06:16 AM
That may be the only way to stop him from busting off 75 yard TD's on us. I wonder what it would cost?

long beach bronco
02-27-2010, 06:23 AM
I'm sure he's going to cost, but I would just love to have that guy. The chuggers are going to regret this, he was a big part of that offense. I really hope McD is thinking what I'm thinking.

elsid13
02-27-2010, 06:25 AM
I could see Denver making a play for Kevin Faulk before they would go after Sproles

SoDak Bronco
02-27-2010, 06:46 AM
I could see Denver making a play for Kevin Faulk before they would go after Sproles

the 45 year old Faulk would be a huge boon to the offense

Lolad
02-27-2010, 06:52 AM
the 45 year old Faulk would be a huge boon to the offense

anything from NE brings us that much closer to a Super Bowl per McD

chadta
02-27-2010, 07:17 AM
anything from NE brings us that much closer to a Super Bowl per McD

wait till he puts the team on the clam chowder diet

WolfpackGuy
02-27-2010, 07:28 AM
If they can get him at a decent price, why not?

I wouldn't break the bank for him though.

oubronco
02-27-2010, 08:19 AM
C.J. Spiller

Doggcow
02-27-2010, 08:29 AM
C.J. Spiller

Has done nothing in the NFL.

Sproles has proven to be an elite returner and change of pace back.

oubronco
02-27-2010, 08:47 AM
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Dwyer Completes Three Team Interviews </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/78/782273.jpg
RB Jonathan Dwyer (M.Zarrilli/Getty Images)
</TD><TD width=3 noWrap></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var author = escape("Ed Thompson");</SCRIPT>By Ed Thompson (javascript:location.href='http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22' + author + '%22&sssiteid=127&type=2';)
Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
Posted Feb 27, 2010
</TD><TD noWrap>http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/468498.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[/URL] (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?pub=scout&v=250&source=tbx-250&tt=0&s=twitter&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofootball.scout.com%2F2%2F94965 4.html&title=Dwyer%20Completes%20Three%20Team%20Interview s&content=Georgia%20Tech's%20Jonathan%20Dwyer%20shou ld%20be%20the%20first%20or%20second%20running%20ba ck%20selected%20in%20this%20year's%20draft%2C%20an d%20NFL%20teams%20are%20already%20lining%20up%20to %20talk%20with%20him%20in%20Indianapolis%20at%20th e%20Combine.%20Late%20Friday%20night%2C%20Dwyer%20 told%20Scout.com's%20Ed%20Thompson%20who%20he%20me t%20with%20during%20his%20first%20three%20formal%2 0interviews.&template=RT%20%40ScoutMedia%20%7B%7Btitle%7D%7D%20 %7B%7Burl%7D%7D&lng=en) (http://www.blogger.com/blog_this.pyra?t=Georgia%20Tech%27s%20Jonathan%20D wyer%20should%20be%20the%20first%20or%20second%20r unning%20back%20selected%20in%20this%20year%27s%20 draft%2C%20and%20NFL%20teams%20are%20already%20lin ing%20up%20to%20talk%20with%20him%20in%20Indianapo lis%20at%20the%20Combine.%20Late%20Friday%20night% 2C%20Dwyer%20told%20Scout.com%27s%20Ed%20Thompson% 20who%20he%20met%20with%20during%20his%20first%20t hree%20formal%20interviews.&u=http%3A//profootball.scout.com/2/949654.html&n=Dwyer%20Completes%20Three%20Team%20Interviews)| [URL="http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pub=scout"]More (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=10&c=949654&refid=4781)

Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer should be the first or second running back selected in this year's draft, and NFL teams are already lining up to talk with him in Indianapolis at the Combine. Late Friday night, Dwyer told Scout.com's Ed Thompson who he met with during his first three formal interviews.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
Late Friday night, Georgia Tech running back Jonathan Dwyer (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4261925) told Scout.com that he had just completed his first three formal team interviews at the NFL Combine.
The hard-charging and elusive runner met with the St. Louis Rams, the San Diego Chargers, and the Denver Broncos.
While all three meetings went very well, Dwyer said that he had a very upbeat meeting with head coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith. They discussed the Chargers' tenuous situation at the running back position with the release of LaDainian Tomlinson (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4189326) and the pending free agency of Darren Sproles (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4321041).
Dwyer also spent some time talking with the running backs coach from the Miami Dolphins Friday night. He has at least 12 interviews scheduled for Saturday night.
The Georgia Tech star was also excited about his measurements at the Combine. "My height was about 5-foot-11 and a half, and my weight was 229," he said. "I was happy with that weight. It showed that I had lost some weight and toned my body up--and showed that I mean business."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dagmar
02-27-2010, 08:54 AM
No thanks. Much bigger needs.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-27-2010, 09:00 AM
It would be great if he was up for a complimentary role, but he wants to be a starter, and his agent has him convinced that he could be.

cutthemdown
02-27-2010, 10:13 AM
If it was doable with the money then go for it. I love Sproles but its hard to sign guys like him and Cribbs because they are specialty type players. For them to be affordable for how many times they touch the ball you need to draft those types.

Maybe though as long as some other team isn't offering him starting rb money. We have to give Moreno more chances. So no new big time FA RB until after this yr if Moreno tanks IMO.

400HZ
02-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I love Sproles, but scat backs fade quick and he'll get starter money as a part timer.

NFLBRONCO
02-27-2010, 10:24 AM
No thanks. Much bigger needs.

I think adding speed to O is as big as bolstering lines both huge needs.

Durango
02-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Let me get this straight. McDaniels has dumped the zone blocking scheme, implemented a power offense with hopes of drafting or signing the biggest, meanest offensive line fatties he can find so we could sign a 5-7 RB to make the whole thing go? Really?

Someone already said it; Sproles is a scat back. A change of pace guy. It's why the sparkies are looking for new blood. He might be a great acquisition as a return guy, but he's probably looking for a starters role somewhere and the salary that goes along with it.

No to Sproles.

sixtimeseight
02-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I can see why he'd think he should be a starter, what with his sick 3.7 YPC

strafen
02-27-2010, 11:32 AM
C.J. SpillerAfter getting rid of LT and Sproles, C.J Spiller would be who the Chargers go for...
I wouldn't be surprised if they make a move for it.
San Diego doesn't seem to have a lot of needs...i

400HZ
02-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I can see why he'd think he should be a starter, what with his sick 3.7 YPC

His averages took a hit from the two games he started. He started against Baltimore and I think Miami, two good run defenses. San Diego was missing two interior line starters those games, also. I think his average outside of those games was like 4.3. His return game wasn't real dynamic last year, though.

400HZ
02-27-2010, 11:50 AM
After getting rid of LT and Sproles, C.J Spiller would be who the Chargers go for...
I wouldn't be surprised if they make a move for it.
San Diego doesn't seem to have a lot of needs...i

They have a lot of needs, and they aren't just replacing one running back, they are replacing two or possibly three. I don't think they can afford to give up picks moving up this year. I love Spiller though.

Flex Gunmetal
02-27-2010, 12:01 PM
His averages took a hit from the two games he started. He started against Baltimore and I think Miami, two good run defenses. San Diego was missing two interior line starters those games, also. I think his average outside of those games was like 4.3. His return game wasn't real dynamic last year, though.

So a guy whos ypc takes a .5 hit after just 2 games deserves starter money? lol

NFLBRONCO
02-27-2010, 12:21 PM
I don't see us paying the money for him even though I'd love it.

Br0nc0Buster
02-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Sproles would be too expensive
I like our current group with Buck, Moreno, and Hillis

TDmvp
02-27-2010, 12:30 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2758877#post2758877

For the second time in the second thread on the same Fing topic in a week.

You don't tie that much money up in that postilion.

Maybe with the questions we have at qb we can go to a primarily wild cat O featuring 3 maybe 4 Hb's counting Hillis ...

Sproles,Hillis:strong:,Moreno,Buckhalter,

with nothing but bubble screens to Eddie and Marshall the 10 or so plays we have a Qb on the field.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/football-pictures-15.jpg

and might I add

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs24/f/2008/022/6/5/facepalm_gif_by_thatweirdo7.gif

I'm covering all bases here Hilarious!

The great things about people posting the same $hit over and over is I can just cut and paste outa of the previous threads.

Archer81
02-27-2010, 01:18 PM
No.

:Broncos:

Kaylore
02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I would say not for what he wants, but I'd love to have a legit return man on this team.

BroncoMan4ever
02-27-2010, 02:10 PM
is he worth the probably 8 million a season he is going to want? i know he would upgrade ST and be good in the passing game, but for a guy who can't be a feature back, that is too expensive.

Pick Six
02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Yes, please...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::pray:

strafen
02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
I would say not for what he wants, but I'd love to have a legit return man on this team.We already have Royal
He demonstrated top abilities there last year.
Remember we had made changes on special team.
One more season under our belt should get us where we loved to be

I grant you that Sproles is more of a threat in that regard than Royal is, but still we have somebody in there who can also break one...

The main concern as discussed so far about Sproles is what it will take to get him.
He can be used in a lot of diferent roles...

boltaneer
02-27-2010, 07:32 PM
It's not a given that he won't come back to SD. They're trying to re-sign him but he wants to test the market first because he wants starter money. If he didn't want starter money, I'm sure he would have a new contract by now.

I'm pretty sure there will be one team that is willing to shell out the bucks to get him though.

Dedhed
02-27-2010, 08:21 PM
I'd prefer to spend money on Jahri Evans over Sproles, but that's just me.

Florida_Bronco
02-28-2010, 08:50 PM
No thanks.

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2010, 08:57 PM
We should be talking about the QB the Broncos are gonna draft...

Archer81
02-28-2010, 09:09 PM
We should be talking about the QB the Broncos are gonna draft...

I wonder what this board would do if Tebow becomes a Bronco.

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Sproles would fit nicely on team like the Giants who need change of pace type of guy.

broncocalijohn
02-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Didnt we have Glen Milburn at this same role? He is asking too much but Sproles is a good player. BTW, we got Hillis MFers!

Dagmar
03-01-2010, 12:40 AM

Incredibly entertaining. More so.

long beach bronco
03-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Sproles is going to play somewhere and some team is going to overpay, it happens every year. If this team wants playmakers, gamechangers and gamebreakers, we are going to have to sign some big checks sooner or later. That's just the way it goes. When you keep looking for bargain basement prices, you are going to have a bargain basement team.

WolfpackGuy
03-01-2010, 05:34 AM

http://www.whereistheoutrage.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/dead-computer.jpg

Cito Pelon
03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Denver won't be offering Sproles a big contract. Maybe a small one. He still has a couple good years in him as a role player. If he's smart, he'll stay in SD.

BTW, what happened to Anthony Alridge? Kid was supposed to be one of Shanny's great guys stupid McDaniels let go.

dbfan21
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
What about Thomas Jones as a rotational RB (provided the money isn't outrageous)?

It looks like his time in NY is done. He has been pretty durable over the years and while he is getting a little old for a RB, he could bring a veteran presence to the offense, plus has the speed and strength to hit the hole and break tackles.

Kaylore
03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
We already have Royal
He demonstrated top abilities there last year.
Remember we had made changes on special team.
One more season under our belt should get us where we loved to be

I grant you that Sproles is more of a threat in that regard than Royal is, but still we have somebody in there who can also break one...

The main concern as discussed so far about Sproles is what it will take to get him.
He can be used in a lot of diferent roles...

Royal is not a good return man. And for those that say "OMG TEH SD GAME!!!!1!!!11" remember that if you take that game away and look at the rest of the season he was one of the worst in the league.

And I get that ST needs to improve as a whole but Royal doesn't attack the kick. He usually dances around and then promptly gets hit.

strafen
03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Royal is not a good return man. And for those that say "OMG TEH SD GAME!!!!1!!!11" remember that if you take that game away and look at the rest of the season he was one of the worst in the league.

And I get that ST needs to improve as a whole but Royal doesn't attack the kick. He usually dances around and then promptly gets hit.The Broncos for some reason have never been known to be strong on special teams.
We've just never had that "run it all the way for a TD" type threat back there.
So, it seems almost like a waste of time to look for a guy like that, as opposed to get a guy who would consistently give you good field position.

I agree for most part Eddie Royal is not that great consistently, but he's more than adequate for the role and still be able to break one at some point during the season.

I'd love to see another Darrien Gordon receiving and returning punts. He's the best one we've had in the past 10+ years...

long beach bronco
03-02-2010, 06:32 AM
I can remember the days of Rick Upchurch, where teams feared him as they do Sproles and Hester today. We need a premiere kick and punt returner, it would be very nice to have that.

dbfan21
03-02-2010, 06:36 AM
What about Thomas Jones as a rotational RB (provided the money isn't outrageous)?

It looks like his time in NY is done. He has been pretty durable over the years and while he is getting a little old for a RB, he could bring a veteran presence to the offense, plus has the speed and strength to hit the hole and break tackles.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/01/jones.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Jets will release running back Thomas Jones this week, allowing the leader of the NFL's top-ranked rushing offense to become a free agent.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum said Monday that the team told Jones it will cut ties with him when the league's free agency period begins Friday.

"Thomas joined us three years ago and has been a productive, passionate leader both on and off the field who has served as a positive influence for our younger players," Tannenbaum said in a statement. "We were fortunate to acquire Thomas and wish him the best."

Jones was due a $3 million roster bonus on top of a $2.8 million base salary this season. He and the Jets failed to reach a compromise on restructuring his contract; the team wanted him to take a pay cut.

Drew Rosenhaus, Jones' agent, didn't immediately respond to e-mails seeking comment.

Jones sat out voluntary activities last offseason while trying unsuccessfully to renegotiate his deal, which was front-loaded with $13.1 million over the first two seasons. He made only $900,000 in base salary last season, but didn't allow it to affect his play.

The 31-year-old is coming off a season in which he set career highs by rushing for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns while helping the Jets reach the AFC championship game against Indianapolis. He was also a popular presence in the locker room, twice being voted the team's most inspirational player by his teammates.

Jones had a career-high 331 carries in the regular season and appeared to wear down a bit down the stretch as rookie Shonn Greene got the majority of carries. Still, with the game on the line against San Diego and the Jets facing fourth-and-1 late, coach Rex Ryan put the ball in Jones' hands to make a first down that clinched a trip to Indianapolis.

"When I got here, Thomas immediately became one of my guys," Ryan said in a statement. "He had one of his best years last season, might have been his best. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him as a player and a person. This is one of the tough decisions we had to make for our organization."

This could be a very good guy for Moreno to split carries with....

WolfpackGuy
03-02-2010, 06:48 AM
This could be a very good guy for Moreno to split carries with....

Jones would be a good backup option.

He really doesn't have that many miles on him for being as old as he is.

azbroncfan
03-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Just say no to Sproles. SD has no RB and isn't keeping this slightly better than Q Griffin clone. I don't like small gimmick/screen backs.

Pick Six
03-02-2010, 10:58 AM

Jones had a good year in 2009. I'm sure he'll want to parlay that into a big contract. He'll be out of Denver's price range, unless we're prepared to make him the starter...

Dagmar
03-02-2010, 11:04 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2i25y0k.gif

dbfan21
03-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Jones had a good year in 2009. I'm sure he'll want to parlay that into a big contract. He'll be out of Denver's price range, unless we're prepared to make him the starter...

I suppose you're right about his desire to be a starter and money demands. For the record, I think Moreno & Jones in our backfield with Buckhalter as the third would be a lethal RB corps. (cue the Hillis commentary)

boltaneer
03-02-2010, 02:16 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2i25y0k.gif

For all my recent praises of Norv, that was one of the stupidest calls I have ever seen.

Rivers drove them down the field in crunch time and Norv morphs into Marty on 3rd and 4th down. 4th and 2 and you go with Sproles in a short yardage formation?

I don't like Sproles as an every down back but that one is unfair on him. Wasn't his fault. He didn't have a chance to get out of the backfield.