PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan says Broncos are on the verge

oubronco
02-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Posted February 26, 2010, 10:29 am

Shanahan says Broncos are on the verge
By Jeff Legwold Comments

Indianapolis — In his first extended public comments since being hired as Washington Redskins head coach, among the topics Mike Shanahan covered Friday was the state of the Denver Broncos.

More than a year removed from his firing, Shanahan still believes he left the Broncos with plenty to work with and that the playoffs shouldn’t be too far in the future.

“Even two years ago now you take a look at an 8-8 team, I felt we left the program in pretty good shape, a number of offensive players, a number of Pro Bowl players,” Shanahan said. “I think they’re right on the verge of being an excellent football team.”

Shanahan made his remarks at the league’s scouting combine and maked a departure from his time in Denver. Shanahan rarely appeared publicly at the combine in his time with the Broncos.

He made the media rounds at Lucas Oil Field Friday. He declined to say just how active the Redskins would be in free agency given there is no salary cap in the upcoming season and that Redskins’ owner Daniel Snyder has traditionall been one of the more free-spending owners in the league.

“We have a plan and we’ll do our best to execute our plan,” Shanahan said. “That’s all I can say right now.”

strafen
02-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Shanny showing some class! :thumbsup:

elsid13
02-26-2010, 03:22 PM
He got $5M dollars to be nice.

Taco John
02-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Fankly, I agree with his assessment. I didn't buy all of the 4-12 talk last year. I had thought we had the talent for at least a 9 or even 10 win season.

I've been doing a lot of side reading and research on our coaching staff this offseason, and I have to say that once you step away from all the pain of controversey and culture change happening, and just look at their career arcs - it's pretty easy to get behind these guys.

We've got a bright future ahead of us. I still pine for the thought of Shanahan leading us back to the promised land - but that's behind us, a dream never realized. We've still got a bright future ahead of us.

SouthStndJunkie
02-26-2010, 03:24 PM
For $5 million dollars, I will tell you Kyle Orton can throw a football over them mountains.

SouthStndJunkie
02-26-2010, 03:26 PM
It's weird thinking of Shanny as the head coach of the Redskins.

elsid13
02-26-2010, 03:28 PM

It very weird for me living in the DC area, seeing him on the TV all the time. It kinda cool, because all the Redskins fans want to know all about him. They couldn't believe that he never talks to his #1 pick in the draft until he is selected.

rastaman
02-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Shanny showing some class! :thumbsup:

Shanny plans on coming back to replace McD in 5 years to lead the Broncos back the promise land a victory and then he later retires AS A BRONCO!ROFL!

Oh and by the way, Cutler returns to Denver along with Shanny in 5 years.:thumbsup:

Meanwhile McD returns to NE to take over for Belicheat in 5 years.:sunshine:

Taco John
02-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Shanny plans on coming back to replace McD in 5 years to lead the Broncos back the promise land a victory and then he later retires AS A BRONCO!ROFL!

Oh and by the way, Cutler returns to Denver along with Shanny in 5 years.:thumbsup:

:yayaya:

http://templars.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/jesus_return3.jpg

WolfpackGuy
02-26-2010, 03:35 PM
I hope Shanahan's right.

Did he miss the Cutler trade and other drama?

Doggcow
02-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Where are the McD haters and Shanny knobslobbers in this?

NFLBRONCO
02-26-2010, 03:36 PM
QB NT DE WR are very hard to find QUALITY longterm solutions. Unless you hit the mark drafting or FA and CBA 2 yrs is a stretch even though I fully support this regime.

DenverBrit
02-26-2010, 03:59 PM

That's the spirit, Tiger! ;D

http://www.olsen-twins-news.com/show/tiger-woods-bong-hit-links-to-hollywood-megan-fox-olsen-twins-news-3fb87ad667dc0c275992bf2e89f73bbc.jpg

OrangenBlueOhio
02-26-2010, 04:11 PM

Here.

Shanahan's just puttin pressure on Mcd to win this season. He can't really believe were "on the verge".

Popps
02-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Here.

Shanahan's just puttin pressure on Mcd to win this season. He can't really believe were "on the verge".

Hard to say. Shanahan certainly isn't going to mention that he left us the league's worst defense.

I love Shanny... but I really couldn't care less about his opinion of my Broncos, at this stage.

Archer81
02-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Titans were 8-8 for three straight years before they broke through with a SB appearance in 1999. Same could happen here.

:Broncos:

Pony Boy
02-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Shanny is laying the ground work for Kyle to be the head coach in Denver 2015.......

colonelbeef
02-26-2010, 04:35 PM

It really is.

SoDak Bronco
02-26-2010, 04:45 PM
I find myself being like a jealous old boyfriend. I feel think of him as ours, and it is just weird seeing him talk about another team as his own. Probably will take a while to get over seeing him as a redskin.

bronclvr
02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Fankly, I agree with his assessment. I didn't buy all of the 4-12 talk last year. I had thought we had the talent for at least a 9 or even 10 win season.

I've been doing a lot of side reading and research on our coaching staff this offseason, and I have to say that once you step away from all the pain of controversey and culture change happening, and just look at their career arcs - it's pretty easy to get behind these guys.

We've got a bright future ahead of us. I still pine for the thought of Shanahan leading us back to the promised land - but that's behind us, a dream never realized. We've still got a bright future ahead of us.

Gawd, I hope you're right-it just appears to be a train wreck from this side of the fence-

I miss Shanny and must admit I get this sick feeling in my stomach when he wasn't on the sidelines last year-

BlaK-Argentina
02-26-2010, 04:48 PM
I miss Shanahan. Not his work in the last years but the person. Extremely likeable guy and it was fun to see him get excited during games. He really loved this team. I could hardly imagine a Broncos sideline without him last year but I like what McD is doing. I think the change would've been a lot harder if I didn't think McD was the right coach.

backup qb
02-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Shanny is laying the ground work for Kyle to be the head coach in Denver 2015.......

How about 2012? Here comes my ripping....

Ziggy
02-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Posted February 26, 2010, 10:29 am

Shanahan says Broncos are on the verge
By Jeff Legwold Comments

Indianapolis — In his first extended public comments since being hired as Washington Redskins head coach, among the topics Mike Shanahan covered Friday was the state of the Denver Broncos.

More than a year removed from his firing, Shanahan still believes he left the Broncos with plenty to work with and that the playoffs shouldn’t be too far in the future.

“Even two years ago now you take a look at an 8-8 team, I felt we left the program in pretty good shape, a number of offensive players, a number of Pro Bowl players,” Shanahan said. “I think they’re right on the verge of being an excellent football team.”

Did you expect him to say, "I screwed up so bad in Denver that it will take them a decade to get that team right?" I wish him luck in DC.

Meck77
02-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Shanahan was a great coach but he's delusional now.

bpc
02-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Take the high road, take the high road, take the high road!

It will be interesting to see who wins out in the end.

KipCorrington25
02-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I take what he says with a grain of salt, this is after all the only guy on the planet that thought Nate Webster could play anything other than dead.

Pick Six
02-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Ah, yes....the infamous "plan". Wasn't it Shanahan who insisted (every year) that the Broncos were only a few players away from being a Super Bowl contender? This is typical Shanny-speak...

oubronco
02-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Ah, yes....the infamous "plan". Wasn't it Shanahan who insisted (every year) that the Broncos were only a few players away from being a Super Bowl contender? This is typical Shanny-speak...

yes the problem was he couldn't evaluate defensive talent for shizz

rastaman
02-26-2010, 07:34 PM
That's the spirit, Tiger! ;D

http://www.olsen-twins-news.com/show/tiger-woods-bong-hit-links-to-hollywood-megan-fox-olsen-twins-news-3fb87ad667dc0c275992bf2e89f73bbc.jpg

What does Tiger have to do with this? Any way ya gotta admit that Tiger is living the high life......using his Lear Jet to Fly around the world "Swording Skanky Hoes" and still recognized as the number on golfer in the world. Hell Golf needs Tiger more than Tiger needs golf. When you think about it from a endorsement global perspective, he need not worry about U.S. Endorsements b/c Europe, Asia, and the Middle East will gladly have the "Cheetah" endorse their products.

Tiger-Be-Da-Man! And there's a lot of jealousy and envy out there towards him. One things for sure the PGA players sure miss his presence.

DenverBrit
02-26-2010, 07:43 PM
What does Tiger have to do with this? Any way ya gotta admit that Tiger is living the high life......using his Lear Jet to Fly around the world "Swording Skanky Hoes" and still recognized as the number on golfer in the world. Hell Golf needs Tiger more than Tiger needs golf. When you think about it from a endorsement global perspective, he need not worry about U.S. Endorsements b/c Europe, Asia, and the Middle East will gladly have the "Cheetah" endorse their products.

Tiger-Be-Da-Man! And there's a lot of jealousy and envy out there towards him. One things for sure the PGA players sure miss his presence.

Just an expression. "Tiger"...."Sparky" whatever.

The bong was more about your 5 year fantasy. It was a 'twofer' ;D

BTW, I'd love to be in Tiger's shoes, but I doubt he'd want to trade with me.

rastaman
02-26-2010, 07:44 PM

Meh! I can't wait to hear McD-Speak over the next 4 or 5 years. Already McD has everyone snowed that the next two years will be invested in rebuilding the Broncos in HIS Egotistical image. I look forward to the next two years of empty promises and a Rah-Rah Dictatorial College Atmosphere.

Hopefully these grown men won't get weary/worn out believing in what McD is selling. After all the team actually quit on McD during the last game of the season with playoff implications on the line. Even the vets quit on McD or didn't show up to play and just wanted the off season to get started.

Something tells me the players sent McD a MESSAGE stating it isn't all about McDaniels.....and its a "Players League"---Not a Coaches League! ;)

rastaman
02-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Just an expression. "Tiger"...."Sparky" whatever.

The bong was more about your 5 year fantasy. It was a 'twofer' ;D

BTW, I'd love to be in Tiger's shoes, but I doubt he'd want to trade with me.

So how long have you been a doing lines of cocaine--its obvious made you quite negative!....Never Say Never b/c you never know!

Shanny is young enough to coach another 15 years and he still have his mansion in Denver. Let's not forget Shanny and Bowlen left on great terms and neither bad-mouthed or spoke ill of one another. Bowlen and Cutler never had a fall out as well. And of course Shanny has nothing bad to say about Cutler.

Come on DenverBrit where's your imaginaton?:wiggle:

Within 5 years, Bowlen will have finally realized he hired an egotistical-polarizing-Destructive 30 something inexperienced HC and seek changes. Bowlen will simple ask Shanny to return to his rightfully place as Denver's HC for the next 10 years of his coaching career. Shanny will simply tell Dan Snyder...its nothing personal Mr Snyder my heart tells me to return to Denver to finish my coaching career. By the way, my son is ready has been my OC Coord the last 5 years and has done a fantastic job Why not hire him as my heir apparent.:peace:

DenverBrit
02-26-2010, 08:06 PM
so how long have you been a doing lines of cocaine--its obvious made you quite negative!....never say never b/c you never know!

wtf??

Archer81
02-26-2010, 08:08 PM
So how long have you been a doing lines of cocaine--its obvious made you quite negative!....Never Say Never b/c you never know!

Shanny is young enough to coach another 15 years and he still have his mansion in Denver. Let's not forget Shanny and Bowlen left on great terms and neither bad-mouthed or spoke ill of one another. Bowlen and Cutler never had a fall out as well. And of course Shanny has nothing bad to say about Cutler.

Come on DenverBrit where's your imaginaton?:wiggle:

Within 5 years, Bowlen will have finally realized he hired an egotistical-polarizing-Destructive 30 something inexperienced HC and seek changes. Bowlen will simple ask Shanny to return to his rightfully place as Denver's HC for the next 10 years of his coaching career. Shanny will simply tell Dan Snyder...its nothing personal Mr Snyder my heart tells me to return to Denver to finish my coaching career. By the way, my son is ready has been my OC Coord the last 5 years and has done a fantastic job Why not hire him as my heir apparent.:peace:

You know for the longest time you reminded me of someone, and now I know who that is.

You are this board's Jamie Dukes. Completely clueless and totally full of bull****.

strafen
02-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Another thread bites the dust.
Same familiar faces leading the way.
Surprise!

Archer81
02-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Surprise!

:kiss:

broncosteven
02-26-2010, 08:57 PM
...“we have a plan and we’ll do our best to execute our plan,” shanahan said. “that’s all i can say right now.”

the plan!

Dagmar
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Surprise!

http://www.njoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/high_horse.jpg

Dagmar
02-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Surprise!

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/20/633495991920672026-High-and-Mighty.jpg

Meck77
02-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Surprise!

Where are the omane Bill of rights when you need em. Ha!

montrose
02-26-2010, 09:38 PM
We could be on the verge of 0-16 or 16-0 and I don't think his response to the question would be that different. I personally think the Broncos are close to being a playoff team, continuity in the system with increased talent on the OL and DL along with progression from last year's rookies should help.

bronco militia
02-26-2010, 09:47 PM
http://s2nblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/coachratfink.jpg

"Talk is cheap"

Taco John
02-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Where are the omane Bill of rights when you need em. Ha!

I don't see any way any set of guidelines can help some this stuff. A thread about how Shanahan said our team is close, and it turns into a fight about Shanahan. What's the rule? No talking about Shanahan?

strafen
02-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't see any way any set of guidelines can help some this stuff. A thread about how Shanahan said our team is close, and it turns into a fight about Shanahan. What's the rule? No talking about Shanahan?What about some sense of common decency, courtesy and respect to people and their opinions?
I think if you took the lead and start deleting/cleaning up threads of the BS, people would eventually stick to the topic.
The more you condone this kind of stuff under the umbrella you need a set of guidelines for you to act upon, the more people would feel compelled to continue doing what they're doing as an acceptable way to behave.

Cleaning threads will be a good start. Eventually they will get the message.
You don't need a set of rules for you to take action...

Dagmar
02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
What about some sense of common decency, courtesy and respect to people and their opinions?
I think if you took the lead and start deleting/cleaning up threads of the BS, people would eventually stick to the topic.
The more you condone this kind of stuff under the umbrella you need a set of guidelines for you to act upon, the more people would feel compelled to continue doing what they're doing as an acceptable way to behave.

http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2008/04/funny-pictures-superior-cat-on-horse.jpg

rastaman
02-26-2010, 10:22 PM
You know for the longest time you reminded me of someone, and now I know who that is.

You are this board's Jamie Dukes. Completely clueless and totally full of bull****.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nU7_LkBWxqM/SbgDbR0c-QI/AAAAAAAAAdI/yFitsD-bAi4/s400/LOSER.jpg

Dagmar
02-26-2010, 10:26 PM
What about some sense of common decency, courtesy and respect to people and their opinions?

So seriously, Taco and Blue et al have to pick through threads choosing which posts they keep? in EVERY thread? Are you this stupid and high and mighty?

Where would we start in threads drag?

http://i49.tinypic.com/2z6a36a.png

http://i47.tinypic.com/2chb5sw.png

http://i49.tinypic.com/eiqer6.png

Seriously dragster, pull this high and mighty stuff in EVERY thread tonight and get called out.

Archer81
02-26-2010, 10:28 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nU7_LkBWxqM/SbgDbR0c-QI/AAAAAAAAAdI/yFitsD-bAi4/s400/LOSER.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/ygu9umy

ZONA
02-26-2010, 10:39 PM
Good lord, is every last insignificant word Shanahan says going to be posted here? Who gives a damn. What did he really say, anything at all that's important or interesting? No. They're close, I left them some good players. Oh boy, better get that posted up to the Mane real fast.

LOL Hilarious!

rastaman
02-26-2010, 10:40 PM
http://s2nblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/coachratfink.jpg

"Talk is cheap"

"I Agree"

http://rootzoo.com/uploads/12553669641896714674.jpg

rastaman
02-26-2010, 10:44 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ygu9umy

Its time for your SNACK!

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0807/retard-sandwich-demotivational-poster-1215156145.jpg

Archer81
02-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Its time for your SNACK!

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0807/retard-sandwich-demotivational-poster-1215156145.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/yanga4d

Taco John
02-26-2010, 11:37 PM

You expect more from me than you expect from yourself.

The people shouting at me the loudest for "common sense and decency" are always the most combatative folks on this place, constantly fighting with others. Not that this hasn't always been the case. It's just that now there's a huge disparity in the fan base over the direction of the team (this wouldn't have been nearly the case if we'd have beat either the Raiders or the Chiefs, but I digress).

People egg it on. The name Shanahan gets spoken and by the end of the second page, you've got three people who have begun to belittle the guy in response to what the other guys are saying. Just look at this thread - go back to the beginning and look at where it starts and where it goes. Should I make a rule that it's against forum regulations to bash Shanahan? Some would say, "absolutely, yes, that should be a rule."

I really struggle with that. Bashing Shanahan is just being a troll, isn't it? It's not like they're saying anything constructive. They're just trashing on the guy. So people think I should ban that? So now what? I turn around and ban people for trashing Josh too? So what, there's like three of us on here who say nothing but positive sunny things about everything and stab ourselves in the eyes with forks we're so bored.

Not having a bunch of rules isn't the problem. Having a bunch of people who disagree on the direction of the team is the problem.

Dagmar
02-26-2010, 11:40 PM

The people shouting at me the loudest for "common sense and decency" are always the most combatative folks on this place, constantly fighting with others. Not that this hasn't always been the case. It's just that now there's a huge disparity in the fan base over the direction of the team (this wouldn't have been nearly the case if we'd have beat either the Raiders or the Chiefs, but I digress).

People egg it on. The name Shanahan gets spoken and by the end of the second page, you've got three people who have begun to belittle the guy in response to what the other guys are saying. Just look at this thread - go back to the beginning and look at where it starts and where it goes. Should I make a rule that it's against forum regulations to bash Shanahan? Some would say, "absolutely, yes, that should be a rule."

I really struggle with that. Bashing Shanahan is just being a troll, isn't it? It's not like they're saying anything constructive. They're just trashing on the guy. So people think I should ban that? So now what? I turn around and ban people for trashing Josh too? So what, there's like three of us on here who say nothing but positive sunny things about everything and stab ourselves in the eyes with forks we're so bored.

Not having a bunch of rules isn't the problem. Having a bunch of people who disagree on the direction of the team is the problem.

I did this, had a mirror held up to me and realized my place. I enjoy this place tenfold since then.

Archer81
02-26-2010, 11:43 PM

All of this could be solved if you would give me a ban hammer. I can ban anybody, no problem.

I kid, I kid...

Dagmar
02-26-2010, 11:43 PM
All of this could be solved if you would give me a ban hammer. I can ban anybody, no problem.

I kid, I kid...

Gays can't use hammers... :wiggle:

DB_champ24
02-26-2010, 11:50 PM

this is very true but I kind of feel a lot of people can't handle or accept change and a lot of people will just use the negative or weak points of the change and point at it and not accept it because they're use to the old way. As a Broncos fan, I am excited and feel like all three phases of the game are being treated as if theyre equally important.

Archer81
02-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Gays can't use hammers... :wiggle:

The limp wrists allows us to get more torque.

Taco John
02-26-2010, 11:56 PM

I kid, I kid...

I know you are kidding, but everybody thinks what you are thinking. Everybody tells me the same thing, "just remember the next time someone complains about personXYZ, I told you they should be dealt with."

Everytime I think the same thing - one of Shanahan's favorite lines - "for every finger you point at me, there are three pointing back at you." And it's absolutely literally the case - not their own fingers. But also others here.

Personally, I think it will all blow over with wins. I think we'd have been practically out of the woods right now if we'd have beat the Chiefs and the Raiders. Unfortunately, those losses opened the wide gate of doubt - and it's doubt that causes the most amount of pain on a message board forum. I've looked at the other forums. They're infected with just as much doubt as this one is.

It's not going to be this way forever. We saw that when we were winning this last year. The band wagon was pulling in the same direction, and things were hopping along. All of the pain and anguish over the losing is part of the journey. It all becomes worth it at the top. A lot of the old timers understand this profoundly.

Archer81
02-27-2010, 12:02 AM
I know you are kidding, but everybody thinks what you are thinking. Everybody tells me the same thing, "just remember the next time someone complains about personXYZ, I told you they should be dealt with."

Everytime I think the same thing - one of Shanahan's favorite lines - "for every finger you point at me, there are three pointing back at you." And it's absolutely literally the case - not their own fingers. But also others here.

Personally, I think it will all blow over with wins. I think we'd have been practically out of the woods right now if we'd have beat the Chiefs and the Raiders. Unfortunately, those losses opened the wide gate of doubt - and it's doubt that causes the most amount of pain on a message board forum. I've looked at the other forums. They're infected with just as much doubt as this one is.

It's not going to be this way forever. We saw that when we were winning this last year. The band wagon was pulling in the same direction, and things were hopping along. All of the pain and anguish over the losing is part of the journey. It all becomes worth it at the top. A lot of the old timers understand this profoundly.

I agree with your sentiment. Team wins, this dies down, just like the first 6 weeks of this past season. Its a good board TJ. I dont think I wouldnt have nearly 10,000 posts if it wasnt.

Course, you would be more open minded if you gave ban representation to one of us gays...:wiggle:

Taco John
02-27-2010, 12:11 AM
this is very true but I kind of feel a lot of people can't handle or accept change and a lot of people will just use the negative or weak points of the change and point at it and not accept it because they're use to the old way. As a Broncos fan, I am excited and feel like all three phases of the game are being treated as if theyre equally important.

I'm with you man. Did you know that Mike Priefer, our special teams coach, is going into his tenth season as a special teams specialist? And he's a complete stud. Sixteen years of coaching on both college and pro levels. Good results wherever he's been. He's a navy helicopter pilot. Two tours of duty in the persian gulf. We saw what he did for our special teams this past year. It was a good unit. It looks like we're going to build some consistency here at this coaching position. You can find good guys all over this staff. I seriously have to hand it to Josh. He knows how to surround himself with good people.

strafen
02-27-2010, 12:12 AM

Of course I expect more from you. You're the owner of this site and the only person who can make changes for the better.
And pay attention next time before you label me of combatant and constantly fighting with others to see if I'm really the one who have started a fight with anyone here. That's not what I do. Don't mistake my right to respond to somebody verbal abuse with me starting a fight.

Also, I don't recall having said anything about banning people for bashing a player or a coach.
That's not even possible to control. What I'm saying is the constant addition to discussions that have nothing to do with it and are designed to purposedly antagonize and start flame wars by engaging in personal attacks.
Look at the threads polluted with gif. and stuff like that that offers zero value. How can something like that be acceptable and not be moderated?
There's a reason why moderators exist on every discussion board you ever want to go to, so that things don't get out of hand
I for one have tried hard to stay away from the one-on-one arguments. I try to take myself out of the equation. Now, that's not to say if somebody is going to go out of his way to insult me or take shots at me without any provocation -as it always seems to be the case- that I'm not going to respond to their childish behavior as I usually do and I just move on.

I don't dwell on stuff like that or start stalking people so that next time I see him post I would take another chance to bring up previous arguments as it's the norm here with some posters.

I don't go pages on end arguing with people from sun up to sun down.
What I see is what brings value to a discussion and what doesn't.

There's always going to be disagreement.
Just start a thread with McDaniels, Moreno, Orton or Hillis on the subject line and watch this place go down in a hurry.
Why? because of how personal people take those issues. You don't have to berate and insult another person to make your point, or to think that by doing so your point gets more validation.

If you think your intervention is not needed then that's the way it's going to have to be...

Taco John
02-27-2010, 12:27 AM
What culture were you raised in that you think who "started the fight" matters?

Taco John
02-27-2010, 12:28 AM
This idea of "starting the fight" is a lot more sujbective than people may realize.

Nobody on this forum thinks that they're wrong. Not one person.

~Crash~
02-27-2010, 12:35 AM
This idea of "starting the fight" is a lot more sujbective than people may realize.

Nobody on this forum thinks that they're wrong. Not one person.
\
and that is the slippery slope that ruins forums

~Crash~
02-27-2010, 12:36 AM
It becomes a popularity contest .

strafen
02-27-2010, 12:43 AM
What culture were you raised in that you think who "started the fight" matters?It doesn't matter TJ.
The culture I know is, if somedy starts a fight with you they deserve what they get 8')
I'm pretty sure you have been observant enough to see for yourself the same individuals who love to start fights here. That's when who started the fight really matters. It's never been a random occurrence by a person here and another person there, it's always been the same people.

The more tolerant you are about those issues, the more it becomes an acceptable behavior.
If you don't see that as a problem, neither would they.

Look, I'm not the one to tell you how to run your business.
If I came across like that, I apologize, all I want is some type of moderation that would keep discussions getting out of hand. As things stand right now, I can tell you that as far as insults, fights, harassments, and parody go, the sky is pretty much the limit
There's not a limit of what people can do here.
If people feel they can thrash a thread with pictures insults whenever they please with disregard to the OP they will do that.

If those things that are irrelevant to the discussion get deleted, people will get the message.
Note that I'm being specific on the stuff that should be cleaned up, not what people say as long as it's kept civil

strafen
02-27-2010, 12:46 AM

Nobody on this forum thinks that they're wrong. Not one person.Because that's not for them to judge, TJ
It's the moderators job to make that call based on the evidence left behind, which it's usually left in writing ;)

DB_champ24
02-27-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm with you man. Did you know that Mike Priefer, our special teams coach, is going into his tenth season as a special teams specialist? And he's a complete stud. Sixteen years of coaching on both college and pro levels. Good results wherever he's been. He's a navy helicopter pilot. Two tours of duty in the persian gulf. We saw what he did for our special teams this past year. It was a good unit. It looks like we're going to build some consistency here at this coaching position. You can find good guys all over this staff. I seriously have to hand it to Josh. He knows how to surround himself with good people.

Wow, that's a pretty awesome resume and I'm glad to have him coaching the Broncos special teams. I agree, Josh has done a good job of choosing coaches, I really am very excited to see the team and how it may change over this off season into the season. As fans we can only hope everything works out for the best.

strafen
02-27-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm with you man. Did you know that Mike Priefer, our special teams coach, is going into his tenth season as a special teams specialist? And he's a complete stud. Sixteen years of coaching on both college and pro levels. Good results wherever he's been. He's a navy helicopter pilot. Two tours of duty in the persian gulf. We saw what he did for our special teams this past year. It was a good unit. It looks like we're going to build some consistency here at this coaching position. You can find good guys all over this staff. I seriously have to hand it to Josh. He knows how to surround himself with good people.I actually had the chance to see him conduct practice last year during TC.
The guy is pretty sharp and well organized. He had the attention of the players at all times.
Great addition for sure...

baja
02-27-2010, 01:22 AM
I miss Shanahan. Not his work in the last years but the person. Extremely likeable guy and it was fun to see him get excited during games. He really loved this team. I could hardly imagine a Broncos sideline without him last year but I like what McD is doing. I think the change would've been a lot harder if I didn't think McD was the right coach.

This is the way I feel about it too.

baja
02-27-2010, 01:37 AM

Ouch, that's close to the mark there.

baja
02-27-2010, 01:44 AM

I think you would be happier on a PC board, you know where posters don't call you on your shiity takes.

baja
02-27-2010, 01:55 AM
I agree with your sentiment. Team wins, this dies down, just like the first 6 weeks of this past season. Its a good board TJ. I dont think I wouldnt have nearly 10,000 posts if it wasnt.

Course, you would be more open minded if you gave ban representation to one of us gays...:wiggle:

:sickortir: There's more?

strafen
02-27-2010, 02:10 AM
I think you would be happier on a PC board, you know where posters don't call you on your shiity takes. Why don't you just pretend you didn't see me here, and just go on your happy ways?
Have a good one, now! :wave:

Dagmar
02-27-2010, 03:32 AM
Oh dragster...!

http://i50.tinypic.com/prvc4.gif

Seriously, check out some of your previous posts for the calender month and tell me if they all fit this new bull**** philosophy. They don't sweetie. :kiss:

uplink
02-27-2010, 04:07 AM
Shannys talks/interviews are all the same. I think he starts off spreading the words 'chance to be something special' , 'on the verge', 'best fans' etc etc a few times around on a piece of paper and then he fills in the rest with mindless filler words. He probably has a template for this on Microsoft Word were he just changes a few words like 'broncos' to 'redskins'. I guess many NFL guys are like this.

BroncoBuff
02-27-2010, 04:19 AM

I guess I'm one of those, but I didn't like what he said. Sounded like he was trying to take credit for success down the road. Sounded resentful and grudging to me. And he was wrong anyway. We had nobody on defense, nobody but Champ and D.J.! Sure, we drafted and hit on some very good offensive players, but the other side of the line was a ghost town.

Josh is, in fact, having to rebuild BOTH sides of the line. The defense because he had to, and the offense because [insert your reason here].

Drek
02-27-2010, 05:31 AM
I guess I'm one of those, but I didn't like what he said. Sounded like he was trying to take credit for success down the road. Sounded resentful and grudging to me. And he was wrong anyway. We had nobody on defense, nobody but Champ and D.J.! Sure, we drafted and hit on some very good offensive players, but the other side of the line was a ghost town.

Josh is, in fact, having to rebuild BOTH sides of the line. The defense because he had to, and the offense because [insert your reason here].

Because the zone blocking schemes of old just don't work against well ran 3-4s or cover 2 defenses?

We've all seen it. Maybe we haven't all identified exactly why the Broncos have sucked inside the 20's for the last few years, but if you think about it critically its pretty obvious.

Small, fast OLs work when everyone else is still subscribing to the planet theory and your fast guys can run circles around them. But that was the 90's. Over the past decade teams have found more and more talent that allows them to eschew the planet theory and instead a new term has cropped up, "dancing bear".

I said on this board several years ago that Shanahan needed to stop taking late round OLs and spend some real draft day value on the lines because the guys we used to steal late in the draft now went to schools with real weight programs and where coming out as guys that EVERY team wanted.

Joe Thomas is an example of this I bring up often. If he would have come into the NFL in the 90's the Broncos would have drafted him in the mid to late rounds as a 285 pound rail thin OL with good technique and athleticism, but too weak for most teams to give him a look. After a couple years we'd have filled him out to 300 lbs. and he'd be the talk of the NFL as a major draft steal. Instead he came out a couple years ago as a 305 pound ready to play LT who isn't going to bull anyone over but is more than capable of handling the avant garde speed rushers of today's NFL.

Guys like Ben Hamilton have no place in today's NFL. The DTs he faces are all bigger, stronger, and more importantly faster than he ever was and definitely ever will be again. Most of the better linebackers in the NFL today can handle him. He's too small and too weak. He's a legacy player.

The ZBS can still work in today's NFL, but to make it work you need to invest premium draft value in an OL that is big and powerful yet can still move. I think Shanahan was starting to think that way when he drafted Harris, Kuper, and especially Clady, but he came about it too late and didn't commit to it fully enough.

Now we'll see the Broncos turn to a more traditional power run system, the kind of OL that works with a pocket passer and that finishes drives in the red zone. I like the theory, but its on McDaniels shoulders to make it happen. He's saying all the right things but then Shanahan said all the right things about the DL and never fixed it. Its time for McDaniels to prove it. Get the guys we need to fix these lines, now, and make a winner in '10 or '11.

mr007
02-27-2010, 06:02 AM
It very weird for me living in the DC area, seeing him on the TV all the time. It kinda cool, because all the Redskins fans want to know all about him. They couldn't believe that he never talks to his #1 pick in the draft until he is selected.

If that's true, it's ridiculous. Everyone in the league could use that against him assuming that he wouldn't pick a player he'd talked to. OR, it could be a huge ploy for the draft..... Mike's got a new bag of tricks.

mr007
02-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Because the zone blocking schemes of old just don't work against well ran 3-4s or cover 2 defenses?

We've all seen it. Maybe we haven't all identified exactly why the Broncos have sucked inside the 20's for the last few years, but if you think about it critically its pretty obvious.

Small, fast OLs work when everyone else is still subscribing to the planet theory and your fast guys can run circles around them. But that was the 90's. Over the past decade teams have found more and more talent that allows them to eschew the planet theory and instead a new term has cropped up, "dancing bear".

I said on this board several years ago that Shanahan needed to stop taking late round OLs and spend some real draft day value on the lines because the guys we used to steal late in the draft now went to schools with real weight programs and where coming out as guys that EVERY team wanted.

Joe Thomas is an example of this I bring up often. If he would have come into the NFL in the 90's the Broncos would have drafted him in the mid to late rounds as a 285 pound rail thin OL with good technique and athleticism, but too weak for most teams to give him a look. After a couple years we'd have filled him out to 300 lbs. and he'd be the talk of the NFL as a major draft steal. Instead he came out a couple years ago as a 305 pound ready to play LT who isn't going to bull anyone over but is more than capable of handling the avant garde speed rushers of today's NFL.

Guys like Ben Hamilton have no place in today's NFL. The DTs he faces are all bigger, stronger, and more importantly faster than he ever was and definitely ever will be again. Most of the better linebackers in the NFL today can handle him. He's too small and too weak. He's a legacy player.

The ZBS can still work in today's NFL, but to make it work you need to invest premium draft value in an OL that is big and powerful yet can still move. I think Shanahan was starting to think that way when he drafted Harris, Kuper, and especially Clady, but he came about it too late and didn't commit to it fully enough.

Now we'll see the Broncos turn to a more traditional power run system, the kind of OL that works with a pocket passer and that finishes drives in the red zone. I like the theory, but its on McDaniels shoulders to make it happen. He's saying all the right things but then Shanahan said all the right things about the DL and never fixed it. Its time for McDaniels to prove it. Get the guys we need to fix these lines, now, and make a winner in '10 or '11.

Really good post.

elsid13
02-27-2010, 06:09 AM
If that's true, it's ridiculous. Everyone in the league could use that against him assuming that he wouldn't pick a player he'd talked to. OR, it could be a huge ploy for the draft..... Mike's got a new bag of tricks.

His 1st round pick only. And just because he doesn't bring them in, doesn't mean he does mean he doesn't thoroughly research them.

Cito Pelon
02-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Well, duh. They're certainly on the verge. All they need to do is to play better.

BroncoBuff
02-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Really good post.

Yes it was, and yes traditional schemes are good. But I have too many great memories and too much respect to bury the ZBS like that just yet.

ol number 7
02-27-2010, 08:38 AM

Like Marty and "the gleam" gotta have the gleam men

bowtown
02-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Of course I expect more from you. You're the owner of this site and the only person who can make changes for the better.
And pay attention next time before you label me of combatant and constantly fighting with others to see if I'm really the one who have started a fight with anyone here. That's not what I do. Don't mistake my right to respond to somebody verbal abuse with me starting a fight.

Also, I don't recall having said anything about banning people for bashing a player or a coach.
That's not even possible to control. What I'm saying is the constant addition to discussions that have nothing to do with it and are designed to purposedly antagonize and start flame wars by engaging in personal attacks.
Look at the threads polluted with gif. and stuff like that that offers zero value. How can something like that be acceptable and not be moderated?
There's a reason why moderators exist on every discussion board you ever want to go to, so that things don't get out of hand
I for one have tried hard to stay away from the one-on-one arguments. I try to take myself out of the equation. Now, that's not to say if somebody is going to go out of his way to insult me or take shots at me without any provocation -as it always seems to be the case- that I'm not going to respond to their childish behavior as I usually do and I just move on.

I don't dwell on stuff like that or start stalking people so that next time I see him post I would take another chance to bring up previous arguments as it's the norm here with some posters.

I don't go pages on end arguing with people from sun up to sun down.
What I see is what brings value to a discussion and what doesn't.

There's always going to be disagreement.
Just start a thread with McDaniels, Moreno, Orton or Hillis on the subject line and watch this place go down in a hurry.
Why? because of how personal people take those issues. You don't have to berate and insult another person to make your point, or to think that by doing so your point gets more validation.

If you think your intervention is not needed then that's the way it's going to have to be...

This is a thread about Shanahan, please stop derailing it.

baja
02-27-2010, 10:38 AM
This is a thread about Shanahan, please stop derailing it.

LOL the very post he is complaining in is in violation of what he is complaining about.

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 10:54 AM
LOL the very post he is complaining in is in violation of what he is complaining about.

Irony is lost on the Drag. :)

baja
02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Irony is lost on the Drag. :)

I think you and I are in for a lecture in 10 9 8 7 6 5.........

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 11:21 AM
I think you and I are in for a lecture in 10 9 8 7 6 5.........

LOL

He conjures up the same image I had of Lex.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ku3n0rpeRtA/SIjxPENgLgI/AAAAAAAAACU/IvSq94yke4g/s320/crumb_mr_natural_3.jpg

strafen
02-27-2010, 11:28 AM
I think you and I are in for a lecture in 10 9 8 7 6 5.........It's like I've said. I don't usually go out of my way to start trouble, but you guys sure like to invite it, don't ya'? :thumbsup:
Then, it'll be turned around to put the blame on me.
Hey, whatever makes you happy, keep doing it :welcome:

Pony Boy
02-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Clinton Portis isn't going anywhere in 2010.

Dispelling speculation that the running back may get released, new Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Friday that Portis will return to the team this season.
"He's our running back," Shanahan told me and co-host Gil Brandt during a Friday appearance on Sirius NFL Radio at the NFL Scouting Combine.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/02/26/shanahan-says-rb-portis-stay-redskins/

come on.... that's got to be awkward between those 2 guys....... I wonder if Portis will wear a dress to the first team meeting

baja
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
It's like I've said. I don't usually go out of my way to start trouble, but you guys sure like to invite it, don't ya'? :thumbsup:
Then, it'll be turned around to put the blame on me.
Hey, whatever makes you happy, keep doing it :welcome:

How many posters do you see me picking on?

strafen
02-27-2010, 01:34 PM
How many posters do you see me picking on?I'm not about to engage on a 3-page long back and forth pissing contest with you.
Just forget about it, and move on...

baja
02-27-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm not about to engage on a 3-page long back and forth pissing contest with you.
Just forget about it, and move on...

That's what I thought, very few. You make out that Denver brit and I seek arguments which is not true for either one of us. Stop making derogatory statements that are not true.

Archer81
02-27-2010, 01:49 PM
That's what I thought, very few. You make out that Denver brit and I seek arguments which is not true for either one of us. Stop making derogatory statements that are not true.

Oh, snap...

strafen
02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
That's what I thought, very few. You make out that Denver brit and I seek arguments which is not true for either one of us. Stop making derogatory statements that are not true.Could you just scroll up a little and see it for yourself?
How is it derogatory when you have it rigth there in writing for everybody else to see, and that includes yourself.
Didn't DenverBrit and YOU decide to seek me out and take a shot at me instead of staying on topic?
Isn't this why we're having this argument right now?
That was your choice.
I didn't say anything to you or DenverBrit

Don't make an ass out of yourself by trying to refute my statement which you continue to back up by just continuing to attack...
Getting into pissing match with people is what you do best.
We've all witnessed how you can repeatedly take over discussion to derail it by making it your personal one-on-one personal attack with people you don't like.

Move on, and forget about it.
What does it take for you to let up?
I'll tell you what. You're absolutely right, you're a bright person, you bring a lot of value and worhty discussion to this board, you are the greatest.
Now, stay on topic or move on...

Archer81
02-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Could you just scroll up a little and see it for yourself?
How is it derogatory when you have it rigth there in writing for everybody else to see, and that includes yourself.
Didn't DenverBrit and YOU decide to seek me out and take a shot at me instead of staying on topic?
That was your choice.

Don't make an ass out of yourself by trying to refute my statement which you continue to back up by just continuing to attack...

I'll tell you what. You're absolutely right, you're a bright person, you bring a lot of value and worhty discussion to this board, you are the greatest.
Now, move on...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qPr-xsQvhgw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qPr-xsQvhgw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

baja
02-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Could you just scroll up a little and see it for yourself?
That was your choice.

Getting into pissing match with people is what you do best.
We've all witnessed how you can repeatedly take over discussion to derail it by making it your personal one-on-one personal attack with people you don't like.

Now, stay on topic or move on...

That's better and don't you ever forget it.

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 02:06 PM

We were talking ABOUT you, not TO you.

I don't see anything to indicate we're "seeking you out" Get over yourself.

As for 'staying on topic' your inability to do so was the crux of the conversation Baja and I were having ABOUT you.

We didn't invite your participation, it was merely anticipated.

Turns out Baja was on the money.......oh, and the irony of you demanding others stay on topic is still lost on you. Ha!

baja
02-27-2010, 02:08 PM

As for 'staying on topic' your inability to do so was the crux of the conversation Baja and I were having ABOUT you.

Turns out Baja was on the money.......oh, and irony of you demanding others stay on topic is still lost on you. Ha!

Stay on topic will ya... ;D

strafen
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Turns out Baja was on the money.......oh, and irony of you demanding others stay on topic is still lost on you. Ha!

You just piggybacked on somebody else's argument.
You don't have the balls to admit you are wrong.
If this is the crap that makes you happy, knock your self out.
Keep inviting trouble. That's how you operate, that's what rocks your boat
What can I say?
You're still mad because I've put you in your place a while back?
Is that why you still hate my guts?
Then, don't start crap if you can't handle it.
I've owned your ass and that's the root of your problems with me.

so now...
Am I the one who started this stupid argument with you and baja DenverPrick?
Are you now going to turn the tables around now that you have baja to back you up, you p***Y!

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Stay on topic will ya... ;D

Shanny good! Knows much. ;D

baja
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
What can I say?

so now...
Are you now going to turn the tables around now that you have baja to back you up, you p***Y!

Well "Nice" didn't last very long....

Archer81
02-27-2010, 02:15 PM
What can I say?

so now...
Am I the one who started this discussion with you and baja DenverPrick?

http://tinyurl.com/y88ds6m

strafen
02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Well "Nice" didn't last very long....

I'll tell you what the real irony is...
This thread became worse than it was the minute you've joined the discussion.
Tell me and everybody else here if that's not the case.
Please explain to me how I'm wrong again...

baja
02-27-2010, 02:19 PM
I'll tell you what the real irony is...
This thread became worse than it was the minute you've joined the discussion.
Tell me and everybody else here if that's not the case.
Please explain to me how I'm wrong again...

Denver Brit and I were observing that you took the thread off topic by complaining about people taking threads off topic and we found that funny. The fact that you still don't get it is even funnier... Thank you for your entertainment

strafen
02-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Denver Brit and I were observing that you took the thread off topic by complaining about people taking threads off topic and we found that funny. The fact that you still don't get it is even funnier... Thank you for your entertainmentWhen I brought up the issue of threads being taken off topic, it had already happened. That was the basis of my complain and was merely pointing out this thread as the best example.
I didn't bring the issue up just to derail the thread. This thread had already taken a dump when I pointed out what I said.
Again, I don't expect you to be forth right and acknowledge that...

DenverBrit
02-27-2010, 02:27 PM
What can I say?

so now...

LOL

You lost your cool there and rambled off into fantasy land.

Try and stay on topic and leave my ass alone.

The only 'ass' you've owned is yours, and I doubt you could find it using both hands. Ha!

baja
02-27-2010, 02:29 PM
When I brought up the issue of threads being taken off topic, it had already happened. That was the basis of my complain and was merely pointing out this thread as the best example.
I didn't bring the issue up just to derail the thread. This thread had already taken a dump when I pointed out what I said.
Again, I don't expect you to be forth right and acknowledge that...

What does this post have to do with Mike Shanahan???

strafen
02-27-2010, 02:33 PM
What does this post have to do with Mike Shanahan???This thread became worse than it was the minute you've joined the discussion.
That's still a fact...
Oh, didn't I say I didn't want to engage on a 3-page long argument with you?
Guess what's happening.
I'm going to have to put you on my ignore list and put an end to this...

Bye-bye :welcome:

strafen
02-27-2010, 02:35 PM
<TABLE id=post2761920 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>baja (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=49) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because baja is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

There you have it. Done and over with... :thumbsup:

baja
02-27-2010, 02:40 PM
<TABLE id=post2761920 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>baja (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=49) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because baja is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

There you have it. Done and over with... :thumbsup:

Peek - a - boo

baja
02-27-2010, 02:41 PM
hamster69

I got a 100 bucks for ya if you claim it in 5 minutes from the time listed on this post....

Drek
02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Yes it was, and yes traditional schemes are good. But I have too many great memories and too much respect to bury the ZBS like that just yet.

Thats the beauty of it Buff, the ZBS was so wildly successful that it changed how teams design running plays.

Almost every team in the league uses at least some zone blocking now. They might not have the ideal personnel for it or have it be the cornerstone of how they run the football, but it makes at least a cameo in every offense now.

Just like how the screen and short curls of the Walsh lead 49ers became a basic aspect of NFL offenses, zone blocking principles have become ingrained in the NFL's DNA. It isn't going anywhere, you will just see fewer teams trying to get by with a predominantly ZBS system staffed with undersized, quick OLs.

Alex Gibbs is the new OL coach in Seattle. I doubt he's suddenly going to start teaching man blocking techniques. But if the Seahawks commit to drafting quality OL talent that doesn't require them to sacrifice size and strength to get speed and agility they'll do just fine. It just takes a certain organizational commitment as it will dictate the style of passing offense you can run as well.