PDA

View Full Version : OT Document Friday: A Soldier’s Handbook to Iraq– “FOUO [For Official Use Only]“

Natedogg
02-26-2010, 10:58 AM
My weekly Document post I do for the National Security Archive. Went a little more recent than in weeks past. Here's a snippet.

Click the link for full article and to see the actual Handbook our boys were given when they arrived in Iraq.

http://nsarchive.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/document-friday-a-soldiers-handbook-to-iraq-fouo-for-official-use-only/

When the “Bid Red One” —the US First Infantry Division—arrived in Iraq in 2003, its soldiers received this Soldier’s Handbook to Iraq. Its first page proclaimed, “Combined with your warrior ethos, a thorough cultural understanding of your environment is a major combat multiplier that makes you all the more lethal on the front lines in the war on terrorism.” In addition to providing US soldiers a fairly accurate presentation of what to expect in Iraq, the Handbook also provides insight into the Army’s thinking as it began the Iraq War.
The Handbook predicted that American soldiers would face a tough struggle in Iraq. It clearly contradicted Vice President Cheney’s March 2003 assertion that US soldiers “would be greeted as liberators.” On the contrary, it stated that Iraqis had “fears of American mistreatment,” held “suspicion of US intent in their land,” and would be “cautious”—not gracious—toward Coalition forces. The Handbook also correctly predicted the Iraqi people’s coolness toward Ahmed Chalabi, the Pentagon’s first choice to govern the new Iraq. He was “viewed with suspicion by some Iraqis due to his proximity to the US administration and to the fact that he has been absent from Iraq for the best part of 45 years.” ....

http://nsarchive.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/document-friday-a-soldiers-handbook-to-iraq-fouo-for-official-use-only/

Read on for some pretty jawdropping claims about Iraqis. What do you think?

~Crash~
02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
we clean up a cesspools that had been a great big ass sty in our eye since the first gulf war . Why you got swim around in the gunk that we shot out of that eye is beyond me .

~Crash~
02-26-2010, 12:07 PM
oh and to the people that talk Soldiers...Please they live to fight get over your self .If they don't then please get the **** out ! and to the ones that say well we need Soldiers I say lower the standards and pull out of the UN . **** the UN !

Natedogg
02-26-2010, 01:07 PM
oh and to the people that talk Soldiers...Please they live to fight get over your self .If they don't then please get the **** out ! and to the ones that say well we need Soldiers I say lower the standards and pull out of the UN . **** the UN !

hmmm...

What?

ghwk
02-26-2010, 01:31 PM
hmmm...

What?

+1

That One Guy
02-26-2010, 01:48 PM
You get something along the lines of this everytime you go over. Sometimes it has maps, sometimes it has phrases you should know, generally basic info. They're usually technically correct but the religion and culture aren't as rigid as it would suggest.

Err on thoe side of caution, I guess. Nothing too special overall other than that it is tagged FOUO but released. Never like to see that.

Natedogg
02-26-2010, 01:58 PM
You get something along the lines of this everytime you go over. Sometimes it has maps, sometimes it has phrases you should know, generally basic info. They're usually technically correct but the religion and culture aren't as rigid as it would suggest.

Err on thoe side of caution, I guess. Nothing too special overall other than that it is tagged FOUO but released. Never like to see that.

Yeah, I remember seeing a Handbook to Iran (I believe) a while back. Most of the info would be helpful.