PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine: Quarterbacks in hiding

Pony Boy
02-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Of the top six quarterback prospects in the NFL Draft, only one is throwing for scouts: Cincinnati’s Tony Pike. Some have legitimate health concerns. OU’s Sam Bradford, Notre Dame’s Jimmy Claussen and Texas’ Colt McCoy are recovering from injuries. Central Michigan’s Dan LeFevour and Florida’s Tim Tebow are skipping the workouts for less valid reasons, which might include worry about their arm strength.

“My personal opinion, you get a chance to compete, you compete,” said 49er general manager Scot McCloughan. “But you can’t lay it all on a kid’s shoulders.” McCloughan said agents and handlers sometime encourage players to skip the combine workouts. “Just get to the kids themselves, they’d want to work out.”

McCloughan said a player can’t hurt himself by working out. “The guys that work out at the Senior Bowl, the guys that come here, usually they end up having good careers.”

Pittsburgh Steeler director of player personnel Kevin Colbert said he wouldn’t hold it against a quarterback who didn’t throw in Indianapolis, but “he’ll never have an audience like he has here.” Virtually every NFL coach, general manager and scout is at the Combine; some owners are here, too. “If he works out at his school,” Colbert said, “he’ll have a good turnout, but nothing like he’ll have here.”

crowebomber
02-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I like Tony Pike. I'll be interested to see how he does at the combine. If he fell to the third I wouldn't be upset if Denver picked him up. Similar to Flacco.

worm
02-25-2010, 12:16 PM
I like Tony Pike. I'll be interested to see how he does at the combine. If he fell to the third I wouldn't be upset if Denver picked him up. Similar to Flacco.

I would. The guy looks like he is Brodie brittle.

Pony Boy
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
I know the QB's have Pro Days but that not the same, they get to throw in thier own back yard with receivers they hand pick...... If they want the big bucks then they need to get out and show some skills.

misturanderson
02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
I would. The guy looks like he is Brodie brittle.

He would obviously need to put on some weight before he takes on the starting role, but he wouldn't be starting as a rookie anyway.

He doesn't have a history of ligament and tendon issues like Croyle did. He broke his arm last year and then this year the plate slipped and they took it out. A broken bone doesn't make someone injury prone, it's multiple injuries to soft tissue that just keep happening never really go away (see Buckhalter, Torrain, Croyle). Broken bones heal stronger than they were before.

I would prefer Pike to pretty much any QB in this draft not named Bradford or Clausen, but I wouldn't take him before the 3rd round.

BroncoMan4ever
02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
He would obviously need to put on some weight before he takes on the starting role, but he wouldn't be starting as a rookie anyway.

He doesn't have a history of ligament and tendon issues like Croyle did. He broke his arm last year and then this year the plate slipped and they took it out. A broken bone doesn't make someone injury prone, it's multiple injuries to soft tissue that just keep happening never really go away (see Buckhalter, Torrain, Croyle). Broken bones heal stronger than they were before.

I would prefer Pike to pretty much any QB in this draft not named Bradford or Clausen, but I wouldn't take him before the 3rd round.

Pike, McCoy and Lefevour are the QBs i would be most interested in, starting at the 3rd round. i wouldn't draft any before that round.

worm
02-25-2010, 02:10 PM

Did you see the hit that caused the plate to slip this year? Not exactly a major league plant.

A bigger issue with me though is his frame. He is like 6-6 and weighs ~210lb. I just don't see him holding up in the NFL as a starter. He has straws for arms.

Dan LeFevour has much more upside in my opinion. Harder to get a read on him as he is coming from a spread offensive in a minor conference. He just seems to have 'it'.

I would be much happier if the Broncos took a flyer on Dan over Tony.

nickademus
02-25-2010, 02:42 PM
I would take LeFevour over pike. besides its just fun to say his name.

ludo21
02-25-2010, 03:00 PM
I really like Lefevour, I wonder why he isnt participating? Tis odd

Doggcow
02-25-2010, 03:05 PM

I have a LeFevour and the only prescription is

http://jdwaggoner.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/more-cowbell-tshirt.jpg

chaz
02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Pike, McCoy and Lefevour are the QBs i would be most interested in, starting at the 3rd round. i wouldn't draft any before that round.

Here is an article from Scott Wright breaking down 2nd and 3rd down QBs from 92-06.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/23qb/23qbs.php

With the exception of Drew Brees (1st pick in 2nd round) I don't want any of them. Why would this year be any different. No thanks. If we need a QB, get a top one. Otherwise fill other needs. I don't like the lukewarm, middle round wasted picks.

Doggcow
02-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Here is an article from Scott Wright breaking down 2nd and 3rd down QBs from 92-06.

With the exception of Drew Brees (1st pick in 2nd round) I don't want any of them. Why would this year be any different. No thanks. If we need a QB, get a top one. Otherwise fill other needs. I don't like the lukewarm, middle round wasted picks.

There are no QB's that just launch off the board this year other than Bradford.

So you're saying we should just not take a talented player at a position of need because they are drafted in a place usually get put in bad situations and never really have a chance to succeed?

Other than Peyton Manning, who really could have helped those Raiders out of the first round?

2KBack
02-25-2010, 03:24 PM

Yeah, but Pike is a brilliant name for a colorado athlete.

chaz
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM

So you're saying we should just not take a talented player at a position of need because they are drafted in a place usually get put in bad situations and never really have a chance to succeed?

Other than Peyton Manning, who really could have helped those Raiders out of the first round?

the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

I'm saying there is 15 years of data saying that when you wait til rounds 2-3 to draft a QB, you're HOPING to get a Kyle Orton of Jake Plummer calibur player. Hoping for mediocrity? No thanks.

I think you have to play the odds instead of hoping every year to find that one in a million. It's very similar to buying lottery tickets....

If we decide we need a QB (and I'm in that camp, but only if we get a top prospect), do it and do it right.

strafen
02-25-2010, 05:09 PM

I was thinking that the real surprise will be in the later rounds as far as QB's are concerned...

BroncoMan4ever
02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, but Pike is a brilliant name for a colorado athlete.

until after his rookie season when the newspapers have headlines reading

"Pike's reached his Peak, and it isn't very high" or "Pike's Peaked"

misturanderson
02-25-2010, 08:44 PM

You wouldn't take Schaub?

chaz
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
You wouldn't take Schaub?

He was an oversight. I'd take him over Orton. Wouldn't count on him to carry me to a championship though, so in that sense I think I'd want to do better.