02-25-2010, 07:50 AM
I angry about.

Popcorn Sutton
02-25-2010, 07:56 AM
I angry about.

:spit:

Popps
02-25-2010, 09:24 AM
There's a reason Pittsburgh is consistently competitive.

Oh well... we'll have other options. But, that was one of the better ones.

TheDave
02-25-2010, 09:41 AM
There's a reason Pittsburgh is consistently competitive.

Oh well... we'll have other options. But, that was one of the better ones.

The options are quickly becoming the draft...

illbroncsfn
02-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Anyone heard the terms of the contract Casey Hampton is/will be signing?

Bronco Boy
02-25-2010, 10:36 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZdZbZl28nU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZdZbZl28nU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

iDENVER
02-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Anyone heard the terms of the contract Casey Hampton is/will be signing?

3 years 21 million and 11 million guaranteed i believe but not positive i heard this earlier

Kaylore
02-25-2010, 10:45 AM
All of you should have seen this coming. I mean really, what did you guys expect? The Patriots and Steelers aren't going to let top flight defensive tackles just walk off their team. They're not stupid. We're in an era where free agency is dead. Every year I read these threads about all the free agents that are supposed to be available and ridiculous projections about how we should sign half of them, and every year three fourths of them are signed before FA begins. The only players that people are going to let walk are going to be old guys and under-performers.

Don't pin your hopes on franchises like the Patriots and Steelers letting their best talent just leave so we can get it. Especially in this uncapped year when teams have two transition tags, a franchise tag and players from '06 are restricted FA's, there is going to be little to no movement. Just wait until free agency begins and then those players that are available you can hope for, but not until then.

Personally I'm more worried about wrapping our own young talent up long term rather than raiding other peoples' pantry.

bowtown
02-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Don't pin your hopes on franchises like the Patriots and Steelers letting their best talent just leave so we can get it.

They would have if McDaniels wasn't so bad at getting along with other teams.

azbroncfan
02-25-2010, 11:12 AM
All of you should have seen this coming. I mean really, what did you guys expect? The Patriots and Steelers aren't going to let top flight defensive tackles just walk off their team. They're not stupid. We're in an era where free agency is dead. Every year I read these threads about all the free agents that are supposed to be available and ridiculous projections about how we should sign half of them, and every year three fourths of them are signed before FA begins. The only players that people are going to let walk are going to be old guys and under-performers.

Don't pin your hopes on franchises like the Patriots and Steelers letting their best talent just leave so we can get it. Especially in this uncapped year when teams have two transition tags, a franchise tag and players from '06 are restricted FA's, there is going to be little to no movement. Just wait until free agency begins and then those players that are available you can hope for, but not until then.

Personally I'm more worried about wrapping our own young talent up long term rather than raiding other peoples' pantry.

Exactly if a player makes it to FA there is a reason.

chrisp
02-25-2010, 12:27 PM

This is sooooo true - its been true for years but its even truer this year.

Thing is, we built a superbowl contender in part because we were able to capitalise on free agency - but that was in the relatively early days when not all teams were on top of it. These days GMs have either worked out how to hang on to guys that they value or they've been replaced by other guys who already know. There is still the outside chance that a team cuts a decent player on the downslide a year or two too early - you could argue that something like that maybe happened with Dawkins - but it doesn't really happen any more often than it happened in the days before free agency (think of the 49ers picking up Matt Millen).

Thing is, the one thing that teams really hang onto is the big guys - top tier offensive and defensive line talent. The one thing the fans bang on about needing year after year is the one thing that teams don't let go cheaply. Its easier to get a decent player for the offensive backfield or the defensive secondary than it is to get linemen.

Bottom line, ANY player available through free agency is a gamble - there's always some issue with them otherwise they don't hit the market. Some of us say this every year yet it never stops the speculation....

broncswin
02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
they would have if mcdaniels wasn't so bad at getting along with other teams.

lol

Kaylore
02-25-2010, 11:17 PM
This is sooooo true - its been true for years but its even truer this year.

Thing is, we built a superbowl contender in part because we were able to capitalise on free agency - but that was in the relatively early days when not all teams were on top of it. These days GMs have either worked out how to hang on to guys that they value or they've been replaced by other guys who already know. There is still the outside chance that a team cuts a decent player on the downslide a year or two too early - you could argue that something like that maybe happened with Dawkins - but it doesn't really happen any more often than it happened in the days before free agency (think of the 49ers picking up Matt Millen).

Thing is, the one thing that teams really hang onto is the big guys - top tier offensive and defensive line talent. The one thing the fans bang on about needing year after year is the one thing that teams don't let go cheaply. Its easier to get a decent player for the offensive backfield or the defensive secondary than it is to get linemen.

Bottom line, ANY player available through free agency is a gamble - there's always some issue with them otherwise they don't hit the market. Some of us say this every year yet it never stops the speculation....

Yes and as a general rule you always, always overpay.

bronco610
02-26-2010, 12:12 AM

Stop talking sense. That is not the way of the Mane !!!!!!!

BroncoBuff
02-26-2010, 01:06 AM
3 years 21 million and 11 million guaranteed i believe but not positive i heard this earlier

Doesn't seem that bad.

ZONA
02-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Yeah but every now and then you can find a good player that is a FA. We did last year with Dawkins. I know he's older but he can still play at a very high level. Hill also was a FA and he played good also. It's not often great players become FA's and actually hit the market but it does happen.

Drek
02-26-2010, 03:08 AM
Doesn't seem that bad.

Hampton was tagged at the same AAV as the three year deal and he's not exactly young. He was probably happy to take anything that would guarantee him more than the $7M a franchise tag pays. At his size and age one serious lower body injury and he's probably done.