PDA

View Full Version : Broncos South Introduction

BroncosSouth
02-24-2010, 09:30 AM
New to the MB, I have been reading quite a bit of threads and it seems like you guys know your stuff pretty well. The set-up of the forum is well done and it's very similiar to TexansTalk.com.

I am a Texans fan, but my old college roomate is a die hard Broncos fan and so I sort of adopted them as my 2nd team. I made it up from Houston to see them beat the Pats last year, which was badass. Followed the football game up and walked over to Coors Field to see the Rockies play the Phillies. I just now thawed out from that trip.

As a Texans fan we have somewhat of an inside joke in that we have a lot of ties with the Broncos and some people refer to us as Broncos South.

I just wanted to get your opinion on Dennison as an OC and also see if Weigmann was worth a look, our starting C is Chris Meyers and well...he sucks.

I look forward to being a part of The 'Mane. I'll be coming up for the Broncos v Texans game this next year if any of you would be nice enough to invite me to a tailgate and when you come to Houston ill return the favor.

Rabb
02-24-2010, 09:32 AM
welcome to the site man

Tombstone RJ
02-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Welcome, do the Texans want to trade for Hillis?

teeeehehehehee.... scurries away.....

oubronco
02-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Welcome

Ray Finkle
02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Welcome.

Dennison is a good OL coach, I don't really know about him being an OC though. Weigman can still play but I don't know at what level. Funny you mention Meyers, this board had a global melt down when he was "traded" away.

BroncosSouth
02-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Welcome, do the Texans want to trade for Hillis?

Funny that you say that, it's been discussed mainly since we could have won 2 more games last year if we A) Didn't have Chris Brown and B) Didn't play Chris Brown and C) Didn't make Chris Brown throw the football.

We need a short yardage back who can get us 1-2 tough yards to put it in for 6 or get the 1st so we can run some clock. Is Hillis that bad? He faired pretty well the year before when the backfield had all those injuries, you were still running the ZBS which we have now and you are getting away from. I could see us giving up maybe a 5th rounder for Hillis, maybe.

I wouldn't rule it out, with Dennison trying to get as many of "his" players on the offense.

teeeehehehehee.... scurries away.....[/QUOTE]

BroncosSouth
02-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Welcome.

Dennison is a good OL coach, I don't really know about him being an OC though. Weigman can still play but I don't know at what level. Funny you mention Meyers, this board had a global melt down when he was "traded" away.

Yeah I am not sure how much he will be involved with the play calling, I still think Kubiak calls most of the plays. The running game was just plain awful last year and the OL needs some work which is why I think Dennison was a good choice.

We were originally excited with getting Meyers, but he hasn't turned out to be very good.

HAT
02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
We need a short yardage back who can get us 1-2 tough yards to put it in for 6 or get the 1st so we can run some clock. Is Hillis that bad? He faired pretty well the year before when the backfield had all those injuries, you were still running the ZBS which we have now and you are getting away from. I could see us giving up maybe a 5th rounder for Hillis, maybe.

Dude...You are new here...Hillis is worth at least a 1st and a 3rd. :~ohyah!:

Archer81
02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Welcome.

Now get the **** out.

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Oh...it never gets old.

:Broncos:

Mogulseeker
02-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Dennison = better than the OC we have now. (We downgraded).

Weigman = career is over. Too old.

Taco John
02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Hillis is the most controversial player in recent memory. When he was running the football for us, every Broncos fan, down to the last man, had believed we found our solution. But then when the new season came, and Hillis wasn't getting carries, half the fans decided that he is over-hyped, and the other half insisted that if he got an opportunity, he would be the same guy that had everybody in disbelief in 2008.

My take: when the guy gets the opportunity to get in rhythm, he's a legitimate 5 tool player:
1. He can pass block
2. He can run block
3. He can run in short yardage/goal line/third down.
4. He can run (rumble) in open field.
5. He can catch balls out of the backfield.

It's mind boggling that we weren't using this guy late in games during a losing streak that went to the tune of 2-8. But, for some reason, McDaniels saw fit to give the guy he just cut, Lamont Jordan, those carries, rather than the young guy with the big skills.

Taco John
02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Re: Dennison.

He's a good coach. He joined the Broncos as special teams coach, and his units were pretty roundly disliked by people around here, but was later promoted to Oline coach, where he learned from The Maestro, Alex Gibbs. Taking direction from Gibbs and Shanahan - that's a pretty solid pedigree.

Pony Boy
02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Steers and Queers.........which is it boy?

DenverBrit
02-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Hillis is the most controversial player in recent memory. When he was running the football for us, every Broncos fan, down to the last man, had believed we found our solution. But then when the new season came, and Hillis wasn't getting carries, half the fans decided that he is over-hyped, and the other half insisted that if he got an opportunity, he would be the same guy that had everybody in disbelief in 2008.

My take: when the guy gets the opportunity to get in rhythm, he's a legitimate 5 tool player:
1. He can pass block
2. He can run block

It's mind boggling that we weren't using this guy late in games during a losing streak that went to the tune of 2-8. But, for some reason, McDaniels saw fit to give the guy he just cut, Lamont Jordan, those carries, rather than the young guy with the big skills.

He must be hapless. ;D

BroncoBuff
02-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the Jungle.

broncosteven
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the board.

Do you live anywhere near the great Gene Kranz?

HAT
02-24-2010, 02:43 PM

Wow...Talk about revisionist history!

Jordan had a grand total of 5 carries AFTER the bye week. All five vs. Oakland.

I get that people wanted to see more of Hillis, hell I did too. But let's not stoop to just making **** up.

BroncoBuff
02-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Welcome to the board.

Do you live anywhere near the great Gene Kranz?

Always pimping the Right Stuff, aren't you?

Question: Who's the bigger stud in your mind: Gene Kranz or John Elway?

cmhargrove
02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
We'll trade you Slaton for Hillis straight up...
While we're at it, Stokley is really good too - straight up for Andre Johnson.
:thumbsup:

About Dennison, he has a great ZBS line coach and can make even crappy players look really good (especially in the run game). He and Kubiak understand each other, so I think it is a positive thing (communication wise) for the Texans. However, since this is his first OC gig, you never really know.

Weigmann might have more in the tank, and certainly performed like a pro-bowler in 2008. Last year, his job assignment changed, and the LG position was shuffled several times (which often influences the Center). He would be a good pickup for 2010, but I wouldn't sign a long term deal.

watermock
02-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Nonetheless,
Jordan saw the rock more times, and Hillis also a recieving back...

I;m jut curious why Jordan was cut....maybe Hillis locked himself in the den and learned the playbook.

broncosteven
02-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Always pimping the Right Stuff, aren't you?

Question: Who's the bigger stud in your mind: Gene Kranz or John Elway?

LOL

That is a hard question.

I guess it comes down to how each guy could get a Square CO2 Filter to fit into a round CO2 scrubber. That and saving the lives of 3 men 250,000 miles from earth.

I am in awe of what John, Floyd, Rod, TD, Randy etc... did on the field but what Gene accomplished in his life time is amazing. Landing men on the moon and returning them safely to Earth! How does that compare?

Hogan11
02-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Welcome, but I have to tell you that the whole "Broncos South" thing is now pretty much passe....it's the Broncos East (as in WSN) that'll be getting all the "2nd team" news around these parts from now on.

2KBack
02-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I would like to applaud the Texans for giving Kubiak an extension. I strongly think losing him was a huge blow to the Broncos.

I think Dennison will be okay working with Kubes. Personally wasn't a big fan of the guy, but I think he and Kubiak will likely work well in tandem.

Weigman was showing his age enough last season that more than a couple people mentioned how upset they were in losing Chris Myers. So...

I think Hillis is staying put.

I would like to offer houston BM though, and we only ask for andre Johnson in return. I tell you what...we'll throw in a 7th rounder.

gyldenlove
02-24-2010, 07:48 PM
I like this kid, he should break 2000 yards in our system easy. Can anyone throw up the Lombardi?

100 post rule!

Okay, I have said all that needed saying.

GoHAM
02-24-2010, 08:07 PM
LOL

That is a hard question.

I guess it comes down to how each guy could get a Square CO2 Filter to fit into a round CO2 scrubber. That and saving the lives of 3 men 250,000 miles from earth.

I am in awe of what John, Floyd, Rod, TD, Randy etc... did on the field but what Gene accomplished in his life time is amazing. Landing men on the moon and returning them safely to Earth! How does that compare?

With all due respect afforded a poster of your status, I respectfully disagree.

I'm pretty darn sure that the accomplished Mr. Kranz had zero to do with figuring out how to fit that square peg in the round hole, beyond telling others to get it done. Allow me to give kudos where kudos are due, he did talk to those three men through that radio 250,000 miles away, and did a damn fine job of it.

BUT...

Mr. Elway is a verifiable, genuine, Football God Incarnate! Carrying a franchise of questionable talent on his back for most of a 17 yr career and finally leading an entire nation... A NATION safely to the promised land, not once but twice! How does THAT compare? :wave:

Welcome BroncosSouth!

broncosteven
02-24-2010, 08:54 PM
With all due respect afforded a poster of your status, I respectfully disagree.

I'm pretty darn sure that the accomplished Mr. Kranz had zero to do with figuring out how to fit that square peg in the round hole, beyond telling others to get it done. Allow me to give kudos where kudos are due, he did talk to those three men through that radio 250,000 miles away, and did a damn fine job of it.

BUT...

Mr. Elway is a verifiable, genuine, Football God Incarnate! Carrying a franchise of questionable talent on his back for most of a 17 yr career and finally leading an entire nation... A NATION safely to the promised land, not once but twice! How does THAT compare? :wave:

Welcome BroncosSouth!

I somewhat agree with your take on Elway, I love the Broncos and yes he took Bronco Nation to the Promised land a couple of times. I have a Poster of John in the milk mustache add the day after his 2nd SB win, it was in the newspaper and only a couple Gene things hanging on my wall.

But....

You show your ignorance (I don't mean this in a bad way just can't find a better word) of the history of NASA a couple times.

1st - Gene clearly states his contributions to the Apollo 13 CO2 fix in his book failure is not an option as does Lovell in his book Apollo 13. Gene and his team were near the end of their shift when the O2 Canister exploded. Gene initiated emergency protocolls locking doors, capturing screen shots, logs etc... after they stabilized the crew and found they had to get them out of the capsule and into the lander Gene's team did a shift turnover to Lunney's team and left for a confrence(sp?) room to work the problems.

Gene was involved in many different aspects of the Apollo 13 issues as well as having to attend press confernces(sp) with the press. When it came down to it Gene proved what a great Project Manager is. He broke his guys down into teams to work different issues like the Free return trajectory to get them home, the command module power issue, consumables, as well as issues that arose like the CO2 issue. Sure he wasn't the guy developing each fix but he kept everyone on track and made life and death decisions which turned out to be right ones, with the input of the members of his team.

2) Flight does not communicate to the Astronauts. The Capcom is an Astronaut. I think Charlie Duke was the Capcom for both Apollo 11, and during the Apollo 13 explosion, I think he was the one who told Swigert to stir the Cryo tanks.

Gene can be heard on the loops talking to the MOCR team most notably during the Apollo 11 landing with all the "GO, NO GO" role call through each post, but he didn't talk directly to the crew. I think Gene and Chris Craft came up with that procedure with the 1st 7 astronauts during Mercury to streamline the comm and give the astronaut one guy to count on who actually flew, a voice they could trust.

3) Whereas Elway won those 2 SB's and hosited a Nation of Bronco fans on his shoulders Gene had the attention of the WORLD. Even Russians, our biggest rival knew about Apollo 13 and followed each new news release. In the book "2 sides to the Moon" Alexie Leonov (Russia's real great astronaut, he accomplished more than Gagarin did) wrote about how they contacted NASA and offered their assistance which of course was turned down but NASA did keep them apprised of the events as they happend.

In "Tracking Apollo to the Moon" there is a chapter on how people from Perth to sydney were pitching in to help ensure the Comm link stayed up. There were issues with the antenna's from the explosion and they had to fly people into remote tracking stations places like Tibillida(sp?) where aborginies waited outside the stations awaiting the latest news.

There are maybe 2 moments in time where the entire world felt as one, Apollo 11 and Apollo 13. You could say Apollo 8 got great coverage, 9-11 was a worldwide event but it did not leave the same feeling of hope for humanity that the Apollo 11 and 13 events had.

So this being a Bronco board and I being a fan since 1973 I expect Elway to be the anoited god above everyone, and in Football to me his is but one has to marvel at what Gene accomplished in his lifetime, from flying as a test pilot and patrolling Korea to working with Chris Craft to build the MOCR and all it's procedures and tests and Go No Go decisions. He worked with guys like Gene Lunney, Sy Leibergot, John Aaron, and other unsung hero's of MOCR to accomplish mans greatest acheivement ever, period.

GoHAM
02-24-2010, 09:29 PM
I somewhat agree with your take on Elway, I love the Broncos and yes he took Bronco Nation to the Promised land a couple of times. I have a Poster of John in the milk mustache add the day after his 2nd SB win, it was in the newspaper and only a couple Gene things hanging on my wall.

But....

You show your ignorance (I don't mean this in a bad way just can't find a better word) of the history of NASA a couple times.

1st - Gene clearly states his contributions to the Apollo 13 CO2 fix in his book failure is not an option as does Lovell in his book Apollo 13. Gene and his team were near the end of their shift when the O2 Canister exploded. Gene initiated emergency protocolls locking doors, capturing screen shots, logs etc... after they stabilized the crew and found they had to get them out of the capsule and into the lander Gene's team did a shift turnover to Lunney's team and left for a confrence(sp?) room to work the problems.

Gene was involved in many different aspects of the Apollo 13 issues as well as having to attend press confernces(sp) with the press. When it came down to it Gene proved what a great Project Manager is. He broke his guys down into teams to work different issues like the Free return trajectory to get them home, the command module power issue, consumables, as well as issues that arose like the CO2 issue. Sure he wasn't the guy developing each fix but he kept everyone on track and made life and death decisions which turned out to be right ones, with the input of the members of his team.

2) Flight does not communicate to the Astronauts. The Capcom is an Astronaut. I think Charlie Duke was the Capcom for both Apollo 11, and during the Apollo 13 explosion, I think he was the one who told Swigert to stir the Cryo tanks.

Gene can be heard on the loops talking to the MOCR team most notably during the Apollo 11 landing with all the "GO, NO GO" role call through each post, but he didn't talk directly to the crew. I think Gene and Chris Craft came up with that procedure with the 1st 7 astronauts during Mercury to streamline the comm and give the astronaut one guy to count on who actually flew, a voice they could trust.

3) Whereas Elway won those 2 SB's and hosited a Nation of Bronco fans on his shoulders Gene had the attention of the WORLD. Even Russians, our biggest rival knew about Apollo 13 and followed each new news release. In the book "2 sides to the Moon" Alexie Leonov (Russia's real great astronaut, he accomplished more than Gagarin did) wrote about how they contacted NASA and offered their assistance which of course was turned down but NASA did keep them apprised of the events as they happend.

In "Tracking Apollo to the Moon" there is a chapter on how people from Perth to sydney were pitching in to help ensure the Comm link stayed up. There were issues with the antenna's from the explosion and they had to fly people into remote tracking stations places like Tibillida(sp?) where aborginies waited outside the stations awaiting the latest news.

There are maybe 2 moments in time where the entire world felt as one, Apollo 11 and Apollo 13. You could say Apollo 8 got great coverage, 9-11 was a worldwide event but it did not leave the same feeling of hope for humanity that the Apollo 11 and 13 events had.

So this being a Bronco board and I being a fan since 1973 I expect Elway to be the anoited god above everyone, and in Football to me his is but one has to marvel at what Gene accomplished in his lifetime, from flying as a test pilot and patrolling Korea to working with Chris Craft to build the MOCR and all it's procedures and tests and Go No Go decisions. He worked with guys like Gene Lunney, Sy Leibergot, John Aaron, and other unsung hero's of MOCR to accomplish mans greatest acheivement ever, period.

Okay I'll concede the point that Gene was not the Capcom he was the Flight Director, an egregious error on my part, I apologize. But can you concede the point that Gene had no more to do with the square peg in the round hole than forming a team and telling them to get it done (Which was your initial argument)? ???

I'll still take Elway in this debate. Though you may have convinced me to put Gene in the top three. (That crocheted vest is tough for me to allow him to overtake Jesus and John Elway)

broncosteven
02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Okay I'll concede the point that Gene was not the Capcom he was the Flight Director, an egregious error on my part, I apologize. But can you concede the point that Gene had no more to do with the square peg in the round hole than forming a team and telling them to get it done? ???

I'll still take Elway in this debate. Though you may have convinced me to put Gene in the top three. (That crocheted vest is tough for me to allow him to overtake Jesus and John Elway)

I remember Gene Talking about the meeting they had when the CO2 levels began to rise. He had his Tiger team in the room and they started talking about the situation and what the options were. I remember him saying something that the solution had to be limited to what they had on board Aquarius, nothing could be used to piece the solution together that they did not have on board the ship. I remember the team gathering the parts and coming up with a solution together, then I believe he did send off 2 guys to write up the formal procedure step by step. They had to have it down to how many pieces and the exact dimentions of the duct tape but I believe the whole team was involved with the design of the contraption. I can look that up.

I am glad I may have a Gene convert, or at least moved him up in someone else's eye.

BTW The vest wasn't crocheted, his wife made him a white "Splash down" vest for each Apollo mission, I think the Apollo 11 vest is in the Smithsonian and the Apollo 13 vest is in the Air and Space museum. I think the Apollo 15 vest was available for purchase and went for above $25k for a charity but I could be wrong on that. His wife sewed the vests and it looks to me like the material you would find on a white tux.

strafen
02-24-2010, 09:46 PM
New to the MB, I have been reading quite a bit of threads and it seems like you guys know your stuff pretty well. The set-up of the forum is well done and it's very similiar to TexansTalk.com.

I am a Texans fan, but my old college roomate is a die hard Broncos fan and so I sort of adopted them as my 2nd team. I made it up from Houston to see them beat the Pats last year, which was badass. Followed the football game up and walked over to Coors Field to see the Rockies play the Phillies. I just now thawed out from that trip.

As a Texans fan we have somewhat of an inside joke in that we have a lot of ties with the Broncos and some people refer to us as Broncos South.

I just wanted to get your opinion on Dennison as an OC and also see if Weigmann was worth a look, our starting C is Chris Meyers and well...he sucks.

I look forward to being a part of The 'Mane. I'll be coming up for the Broncos v Texans game this next year if any of you would be nice enough to invite me to a tailgate and when you come to Houston ill return the favor.Welcome aboard. :welcome:
This thread is no longer about you.
Common practice around here. Get used to it...

Dagmar
02-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Welcome aboard. :welcome:

You really want me to post some of your posts Sir High and Mighty?

broncosteven
02-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Welcome aboard. :welcome:

It would be if he would reply to my question if he lives near Gene in Houston like I asked.

strafen
02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
It would be if he would reply to my question if he lives near Gene in Houston like I asked.I'm sure he would eventually answer your question.
I actually think you've had a valid question with the intent to spark some good conversation.
My reply wasn't directed at you specifically.
It was at the few initial replies that had nothing to do with making a good conversation...

strafen
02-24-2010, 10:04 PM
You really want me to post some of your posts Sir High and Mighty?Being the stalker, vindictive person you are, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a number of my posts already bookmarked. Am I right?

Dagmar
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Being the stalker, vindictive person you are, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a number of my posts already bookmarked. Am I right?

Nope. But it aint hard to find some. :kiss:

strafen
02-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Nope. But it aint hard to find some. :kiss:Look, I'm not going to get into a piss match with you, but I will say this; you need to STFU, stop playing the forum police, and start making a nice effort to contribute to the discussion for a change.
John Adams...

baja
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Nonetheless,
Jordan saw the rock more times, and Hillis also a recieving back...

I;m jut curious why Jordan was cut....maybe Hillis locked himself in the den and learned the playbook.

That's funny Mock. Let's hope he did. ;D

baja
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
LOL

That is a hard question.

Did you know we never landed on the moon, it was all a hoax.

Dagmar
02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Look, I'm not going to get into a piss match with you, but I will say this; you need to STFU, stop playing the forum police, and start making a nice effort to contribute to the discussion for a change.
John Adams...

Oh really? the guy who proclaims he is better than all, the man who yells at people for calling people names then neg reps multiple users calling them ****ing morons? And then says stop playing the forum police yet posts
http://i45.tinypic.com/2zefhuf.png
and is known to post
http://i50.tinypic.com/2zdy6vb.png

Don't act high and Mighty with someone as low as me buddy. I know I suck. I admit I suck.

strafen
02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
<TABLE id=post2759728 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>Dagmar (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=3605) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because Dagmar is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dagmar
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Woo hoo!

http://www.james-ramos.com/images/macros/dance.gif

http://gregmertzlufft.com/upload/dance.gif

Time for a sexy party!

http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/11/family_guy_sexy_dance.gif

BroncoBuff
02-25-2010, 02:25 AM
LOL

That is a hard question.

Come on ... the answer is: They're tied ;D

extralife
02-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Hillis would be a great fit for Houston, Kubiak is the man, Dennison will help your running game, I'm not entirely sure that Weigman is done, and I'll always root for Broncos South when I can.

By the way, the team I predict to win the Super Bowl has won it a year later in consecutive seasons. I picked Houston this year. So, yeah, start planning that parade for February 2011.

oubronco
02-25-2010, 07:21 AM

1. He can pass block
2. He can run block

I Approve this message

BroncosSouth
02-25-2010, 08:30 AM
It would be if he would reply to my question if he lives near Gene in Houston like I asked.

I don't live near Gene, but I have seen him at fine Houston establishments such as The Gold Cup and Treasures. He is a crazy man...crazy!

broncosteven
02-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't live near Gene, but I have seen him at fine Houston establishments such as The Gold Cup and Treasures. He is a crazy man...crazy!

Awesome!

Are these establishements that one should bring lots of singles to for tipping?

BroncosSouth
02-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Awesome!

Are these establishements that one should bring lots of singles to for tipping?

Gene uses nickels, but for everyone else it's recommended to use singles.