PDA

View Full Version : Report: Sproles won't be back on one-year deal (Chargers backfield could be empty)

The MVPlaya
02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
It's starting to look like the Chargers will have two players to replace in their backfield.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers won't retain Darren Sproles on a one-year contract. (Sproles was due $7.3 million as a restricted free agent, 110% of what he made last year as the team's franchise player.)

San Diego would like to re-sign Sproles to a long-term deal, but they only see him as a complementary part. At least one team should see him as much more. Expect him to hit the open market.

This news isn't particularly good for LaDainian Tomlinson or Brian Westbrook. Both veterans look like third-down backs and may have to wait in line behind Sproles to get a deal done.

Because of Sproles' age and ascendant ability, we'd guess that he will make more than Westbrook and Tomlinson combined in 2010. Fortunes change brutally fast at the running back position.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/report-sproles-wont-be-back-on-one-year-deal/

DivineBronco
02-23-2010, 03:25 PM
this is great to hear.......it will be very exciting to see them try to make their offense work with hester at as the lead back

Doggcow
02-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I really hope they don't swing a deal for C.J. Spiller...

Rabb
02-23-2010, 03:30 PM

they have some plan, that much is fairly clear....as much as I like seeing these 2 out of our division, it worries me to see who will take their place

400HZ
02-23-2010, 03:48 PM

:yayaya:

Spiller is going to be the next Marshall Faulk.

Maybe McDaniels will draft him to prevent his landing with the Chargers. :rofl:

bronco militia
02-23-2010, 03:49 PM

Ha!

Doggcow
02-23-2010, 03:50 PM

I'm fine with drafting C.J. Spiller. He's going to be a champ.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-23-2010, 03:51 PM

You seem awfully excited to get rid of your entire backfield on the off chance you draft some guy that obviously has never taken a carry in the nfl before.

400HZ
02-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm fine with drafting C.J. Spiller. He's going to be a champ.

I think he'll be gone before your pick. _i_O_i_

400HZ
02-23-2010, 03:54 PM
You seem awfully excited to get rid of your entire backfield on the off chance you draft some guy that obviously has never taken a carry in the nfl before.

What's the worst that could happen? We go from 31st in rushing to 32nd?

Popps
02-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Wow. Some team will hit the jackpot with Sproles.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
What's the worst that could happen? We go from 31st in rushing to 32nd?

Good point

Doggcow
02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Moreno: #1 Back
LT: Redzone Back
Sproles: 3rd Down/Returner

Solid backfield IMO.

boltaneer
02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
The running back free agent market is going to be small with no CBA.

While I think there's a chance he may wind up signing back in San Diego, I can see some team overpaying for Sproles with the slim pickings.

Tolbert has become a pretty decent power type back. It's hard to believe that he was our best ball carrier last year average-wise, though most of it was in garbage time.

It's pretty much a certainty that the Chargers will use a high draft pick on a running back.

McDaniels better be ready to trade up to keep another running back off our roster! :rofl: