PDA

View Full Version : Broncos coach McDaniels, GM Xanders on same page

Bronco Rob
02-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Broncos coach McDaniels, GM Xanders on same page

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/23/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels received accolades as a young genius when Denver started the 2009 season 6-0. He also received the full brunt of criticism when the Broncos lost eight of their last 10 games.

Meanwhile, general manager Brian Xanders was all but in-visible from both praise and blame, though he was influential in all major decisions, such as signing Brian Dawkins as a free agent, as well as trading away a first-round draft pick to select Alphonso Smith high in the second round. That's because McDaniels was the public face of the organization.

The exposure imbalance is contrary to how the organization functions, however.

"Call us whatever you want, we're peers in building this football team," McDaniels said of Xanders. "He is absolutely an integral part of every decision we make ó and I'll emphasize 'we' ó because we don't make any decisions unless we think it's right for the Broncos.

"Sometimes that means it's my idea and then I talk to Brian about some things and then we either watch tape or talk about it more, then we decide it is a good idea. Or some things are his ideas. There's plenty of ideas that I have or he has that, after conversing, there's no life to it. Nobody finds out about it because nothing happens unless the two of us think it's the best thing to do for the Broncos."

It's not a stretch to suggest the next two weeks will be critical for the Broncos' brain trust in shaping the 2010 season. Beginning today, Xanders will be in Indianapolis for the week-long NFL scouting combine. There, he and scouting director Matt Russell and pro personnel director Keith Kidd will lead the evaluations of college prospects in preparation for the April 22-24 draft.

The combine is also where agents and team executives gather in coffee shops, restaurants and hidden nooks in hotel hallways to discuss trades and potential free agents. The NFL's free agency and trading period begins March 5.

"To me, we just had an interesting year. It was a fun year," Xanders said. "But we've got to get better than 8-8."

That likely means more player movement. Brandon Marshall, the team's leading receiver in 2009, and tight end Tony Scheffler are among the more prominent Broncos who are not expected back this season. As for additions, Xanders and McDaniels will likely concentrate on players on the offensive and defensive lines.

"It's tough to change, but there's no team that doesn't change every year," Xanders said. "The Saints were 8-8 (in 2008) and they made dramatic changes on the defensive side with both their coaching staff and players, to where it put them over the hump to win the Super Bowl. Change is a constant with every football team. Our change may have involved bigger decisions than what people are used to (this past year), but we're doing what we think will help the Denver Broncos win football games."

After spending 14 seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, Xanders was hired by Mike Shanahan as assistant general manager in 2008. After Shana-han was fired after that season, Xanders was among the Broncos' five-man coaching search committee that hired McDaniels. Xanders wrote a four-page report to his fellow committee members explaining why he thought McDaniels should be hired.

"I had actually interviewed coaches such as Mike Singletary, Rex Ryan, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Smith, Jim Caldwell and Jason Garrett," Xanders said. "Of the 17 interviews I've been through, I was excited the most about Josh coming to Denver."

Soon after McDaniels was hired, Xanders was promoted to general manager.

"Many football people say in this league you cannot have success or build a winning program unless the general manager and the head coach are on the same page," Xanders said. "That's what we have here."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14451686

The MVPlaya
02-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Mike Smith? Ken Whisenhunt?

That's insane to think they'd leave their team for the Broncos.

That's something new I learned today... all adds to the fact that there is always **** going on behind the scenes where we will never know thus we're really not left with anything valid in what most fans say.

I can say though, the Denver Broncos was probably the most demanded HC spot out of all teams during that time period.

Drek
02-23-2010, 05:26 AM

That's something new I learned today... all adds to the fact that there is always **** going on behind the scenes where we will never know thus we're really not left with anything valid in what most fans say.

I can say though, the Denver Broncos was probably the most demanded HC spot out of all teams during that time period.

He probably meant from his time in Atlanta. His last year there was when they where searching for a new HC/GM tandem. Mike Smith ultimately got the job, but they ran quite a few applicants through.

The MVPlaya
02-23-2010, 05:33 AM
He probably meant from his time in Atlanta. His last year there was when they where searching for a new HC/GM tandem. Mike Smith ultimately got the job, but they ran quite a few applicants through.

Interesting that he would refer back to those interviews... that would obviously make much more sense. He was listing all his interviews he's ever been through rather than just the ones he was having in Denver.

WolfpackGuy
02-23-2010, 05:33 AM
"The Saints were 8-8 (in 2008) and they made dramatic changes on the defensive side with both their coaching staff and players, to where it put them over the hump to win the Super Bowl."

The Broncos did the Saints one better.

They blew up BOTH sides of the ball!

bowtown
02-23-2010, 07:22 AM
Xanders is a Shanahan guy, his days are clearly numbered. Josh is only keeping him around so he can fire him the day before we go to the Superbowl. The plan is working perfectly.

TonyR
02-23-2010, 07:24 AM
After spending 14 seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, Xanders was hired by Mike Shanahan as assistant general manager in 2008.

The haters need to remember this. He's a "Shanny guy" and yet here he is near the top of the Denver Broncos food chain.

TonyR
02-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Xanders is a Shanahan guy, his days are clearly numbered. Josh is only keeping him around so he can fire him the day before we go to the Superbowl. The plan is working perfectly.

LOL You beat me to it.

jhns
02-23-2010, 07:31 AM
The haters need to remember this. He's a "Shanny guy" and yet here he is near the top of the Denver Broncos food chain.

Where does this come from? Who says he is just out to get Shanhan guys? Do you really take BF7 and them that serious?

TonyR
02-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Where does this come from? Who says he is just out to get Shanhan guys? Do you really take BF7 and them that serious?

Come on, you act like there's nobody here running with the narrative that McD is running all the Shanny connections out. Particularly with Turner and Dennison now gone. Although the newer narrative is that "nobody wants to work with him" so I guess it's no longer just Shanny guys...

~Crash~
02-23-2010, 07:42 AM

he is talking over the years and he likes McD's interview the best. those guys never interviewed for the broncos . that was in atlanta I am sure

jhns
02-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Come on, you act like there's nobody here running with the narrative that McD is running all the Shanny connections out. Particularly with Turner and Dennison now gone. Although the newer narrative is that "nobody wants to work with him" so I guess it's no longer just Shanny guys...

I don't see it anywhere. The only time I see it is when you guys make these comments.

I wouldn't say no one wants to work with him. Just a few real important pieces of our team didn't want to work with him. The sad part is one of them was hand picked and hired by McDaniels himself. Now we get Orton and a rookie coordinator to go with the rest of the inexperienced staff. It is always a good feeling to know that not one person in the front office has any experience at all.

~Crash~
02-23-2010, 07:45 AM

you sir are a putz.:thanku:

worm
02-23-2010, 07:46 AM

Leaving the continuing fixation of a past Denver coach and his hiring of an assistant GM aside for a second...the current Denver Bronco front office troika of Ellis, Xanders and McDaniels, in their current roles is vastly inexperienced at best and incompetent at worst.

Everyone loves to talk about how Josh is getting better and understands what he needs to fix, or as this article states, how Xanders 'had a fun year'. Personally, I don't really see these jobs 'near the top of the Denver Broncos food chain' as learn-on-the-job type positions.

The entire makeup of this front office has always puzzled me. Hire the young gun coach if you want....but surround him with people that have some NFL acumen and have EXPERIENCE.

Being on the same page is easy when you have two guys that owe, in some part, their amazing promotions to each other like Josh and Brian.

jhns
02-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Personally, I don't really see these jobs 'near the top of the Denver Broncos food chain' as learn-on-the-job type positions.

The entire makeup of this front office has always puzzled me. Hire the young gun coach if you want....but surround him with people that have some NFL acumen and have EXPERIENCE.

I couldn't agree more.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-23-2010, 08:11 AM
I couldn't agree more.

Shocking.

Broncomutt
02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Leaving the continuing fixation of a past Denver coach and his hiring of an assistant GM aside for a second...the current Denver Bronco front office troika of Ellis, Xanders and McDaniels, in their current roles is vastly inexperienced at best and incompetent at worst.

Everyone loves to talk about how Josh is getting better and understands what he needs to fix, or as this article states, how Xanders 'had a fun year'. Personally, I don't really see these jobs 'near the top of the Denver Broncos food chain' as learn-on-the-job type positions.

Being on the same page is easy when you have two guys that owe, in some part, their amazing promotions to each other like Josh and Brian.

Great post.

bpc
02-23-2010, 08:31 AM
2009 was fun for 6 games. Then it was a repeated stomping on my balls. I'm sure most fans feel this way.

The FO/McDaniels just need to shut up, not sugarcoat things and say we're working hard to make this place a winner. The end.

baja
02-23-2010, 08:42 AM

I learned something today too. You can't read.

Dagmar
02-23-2010, 09:27 AM
2009 was fun for 6 games. Then it was a repeated stomping on my balls. I'm sure most fans feel this way.

The FO/McDaniels just need to shut up, not sugarcoat things and say we're working hard to make this place a winner. The end.

Thanksgiving was amazing.

TonyR
02-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Hire the young gun coach if you want....but surround him with people that have some NFL acumen and have EXPERIENCE.

I don't completely disagree with your post and in fact agree that an experienced GM may have made the most sense with a young/inexperienced coach. However Xanders has 14 years of "experience" in NFL FO and sometimes hiring people with new ideas and approaches is superior to hiring a retread. And it's just a hunch but I think that Bowlen and Ellis are probably in a better position to be making these hiring decsions than you are.

bpc
02-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanksgiving was amazing.

I was way tipsy, but yes, it was one of the better moments.

BroncoBuff
02-23-2010, 10:57 AM

The entire makeup of this front office has always puzzled me.

Hire the young gun coach if you want....but surround him with people that have some NFL acumen and have EXPERIENCE.

Great point.

colonelbeef
02-23-2010, 11:05 AM
That's great to hear, being on the same page and all. Unfortunately it's only 1 page, because they only plan on evaluating 50 players this year

Bronco Rob
02-24-2010, 04:47 AM
:thumbs:

BroncoBuff
02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
They need each other: Xanders for the career boost of the title/position, (which is a VERY big deal), and McDaniels to have somebody to bounce ideas back and forth with, and to counter the perception (in some quarters) that he's stubborn and difficult to work with.

The MVPlaya
02-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Let me quote bpc real quick.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2720729&postcount=33

I'm not crusading against McDaniels.

I'm just saying a few things I believe to be true:

1. Don't overvalue HB's in the NFL draft.
2. Shonn Greene will be a better NFL HB at the end of their careers, drafted 2 rounds later. BETTER VALUE.
3. Rex Ryan was a better hire thus far for the Jets, than McDaniels was for the Broncos. Sadly, we told Rex Ryan 'no thank you' and didn't even attempt to interview him.

Yet it says here

"I had actually interviewed coaches such as Mike Singletary, Rex Ryan, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Smith, Jim Caldwell and Jason Garrett," Xanders said. "Of the 17 interviews I've been through, I was excited the most about Josh coming to Denver."

Yeah, haters will pretty much make anything up as they can and use it in hind sight.

:spit:

DBroncos4life
02-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Let me quote bpc real quick.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2720729&postcount=33

Yet it says here

Yeah, haters will pretty much make anything up as they can and use it in hind sight.

:spit:

The Broncos donít have Rex Ryan among the first five candidates they will interview for their head coaching job, but Ryan said Sunday he wants to be a head coach and believes he will be one when the 2009 season begins. The Broncos interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Saturday night in New York and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on Sunday in Providence, R.I., even as Ryanís defense intercepted Miami quarterback Chad Pennington four times and forced five turnovers overall.
http://www.broncosgab.com/2009/01/05/broncos-have-yet-to-contact-ravens-rex-ryan/

That was Jan 5th

In addition to Morris, the Broncos have also interviewed New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and are expected to meet with Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/5084

That was Jan 6th, McD was hired Jan 12th. Balt was eliminated from the playoffs Jan 18th. Doesn't the NFL have rules about interviewing coaches while their teams are still in the playoffs? Ryan was hired by the Jets 4 days after the Ravens lost. It seems to me Denver did not interview Rex Ryan.
The Jets had to ask permission to interview Ryan.
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/12/jets_ask_permission_to_speak_w.html
I can't seem to find one story claiming Denver asked permission to interview Ryan at all.

watermock
02-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Just for the record, Denver has lost/fired/misplaced: in 2010: OC, DC, RB, LB...........

Ellis is nothing more than a pencil pusher. That's why we have the coach we do.

Xanders is just a prop.

Popps
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
So funny... no one would have given you a squirt of #### for Rex freakin' Ryan until Indy took the game off and let them back into the playoffs. Then, suddenly... Ryan was the best head coach hire in the history of the league.

People are such sheep.

watermock
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Since we've allready lost our DC, and the offense has, and likely will continue to regress.

Maybe Ole Joe could't hold his jizz for a week. Or maybe he feared Ryan would bounce him right away....

watermock
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
So funny... no one would have given you a squirt of #### for Rex freakin' Ryan until Indy took the game off and let them back into the playoffs. Then, suddenly... Ryan was the best head coach hire in the history of the league.

People are such sheep.

Sans RB, it was the D that needed fixing. Buy a vowel.

We spent 6 of 9 picks on offense.

Florida_Bronco
02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Just for the record, Denver has lost/fired/misplaced: in 2010: OC, DC, RB, LB...

We still have the same OC (Mike McCoy) as we did last year, and our LB coach (Martindale) was promoted to DC.

Sans RB, it was the D that needed fixing. Buy a vowel. You were happy with the 16th ranked offense in the league? ???

gyldenlove
02-24-2010, 04:49 PM

The Broncos donít have Rex Ryan among the first five candidates they will interview for their head coaching job, but Ryan said Sunday he wants to be a head coach and believes he will be one when the 2009 season begins. The Broncos interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Saturday night in New York and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on Sunday in Providence, R.I., even as Ryanís defense intercepted Miami quarterback Chad Pennington four times and forced five turnovers overall.
http://www.broncosgab.com/2009/01/05/broncos-have-yet-to-contact-ravens-rex-ryan/

That was Jan 5th

In addition to Morris, the Broncos have also interviewed New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and are expected to meet with Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

That was Jan 6th, McD was hired Jan 12th. Balt was eliminated from the playoffs Jan 18th. Doesn't the NFL have rules about interviewing coaches while their teams are still in the playoffs? Ryan was hired by the Jets 4 days after the Ravens lost. It seems to me Denver did not interview Rex Ryan.
I can't seem to find one story claiming Denver asked permission to interview Ryan at all.

Coaches can interview during the playoffs, it happens every year that a coordinator goes off on Monday after a playoff game and interviews.

watermock
02-24-2010, 04:51 PM
We still have the same OC (Mike McCoy) as we did last year, and our LB coach (Martindale) was promoted to DC.

You were happy with the 16th ranked offense in the league? ???

2nd in yards. Did I mention RB?

Who holds the clipboard huh? Jesus?

watermock
02-24-2010, 04:56 PM
I, and many others, called for a defensive coach.

The offense was set other than a 2RB and tweaking at LG.

DBroncos4life
02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Coaches can interview during the playoffs, it happens every year that a coordinator goes off on Monday after a playoff game and interviews.

You get one interview with them and no team can interview a coach past the divisional round. Given the fact that we had not interviewed him on Jan 6th I find it hard to believe that we interviewed him period. There is no evidence to back this claim up either.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Did they ever say they specifically interviewed him for this job?

I'm fairly certain Xanders was talking about his time with Atlanta...

Florida_Bronco
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
2nd in yards. Did I mention RB? Awesome. Last time I checked, you won games by scoring more points than the other team, not out gaining them in yards.

The MVPlaya
02-24-2010, 05:59 PM

That was Jan 5th

That's a whole lot of researching to defend someone... and the post wasn't even intended for you. LOL

Anyways - you're saying that you CAN'T find any evidence that they interviewed him other than the fact that Xanders SAID he did. It could have happened during the playoffs, it could have happened and you never knew about it just like we don't know about half the **** that's going on behind the scene - only the **** that goes on after the fact it hits the press.

Nothing said the Broncos DIDN'T interview Rex... when it's said CLEARLY RIGHT THERE from Xanders that he did.

So - with that being said - you're obviously trying to accuse him of lying or that's what you're insinuating. And if that's the case - this can go on forever because that would mean quotes from ANYONE wouldn't be valid unless you can find some internet proof to back it up.

Now you and bpc can go back to sharing butt plugs.

Oh, and do you not follow football during the playoffs? Coaches that are coaching int he playoffs are interviewed all the time during the playoffs, WTF? Hilarious! Have you not watched a game where they talk about how coach x was interviewed by team A during the week?

Hilarious!

Mr.Meanie
02-24-2010, 06:08 PM
That's a whole lot of researching to defend someone... and the post wasn't even intended for you. LOL

Anyways - you're saying that you CAN'T find any evidence that they interviewed him other than the fact that Xanders SAID he did. It could have happened during the playoffs, it could have happened and you never knew about it just like we don't know about half the **** that's going on behind the scene - only the **** that goes on after the fact it hits the press.

Nothing said the Broncos DIDN'T interview Rex... when it's said CLEARLY RIGHT THERE from Xanders that he did.

So - with that being said - you're obviously trying to accuse him of lying or that's what you're insinuating. And if that's the case - this can go on forever because that would mean quotes from ANYONE wouldn't be valid unless you can find some internet proof to back it up.

Oh, and do you not follow football during the playoffs? Coaches that are coaching int he playoffs are interviewed all the time during the playoffs, WTF? Hilarious! Have you not watched a game where they talk about how coach x was interviewed by team A during the week?

Hilarious!

I'm not sure, but wasn't Xanders talking about his time in Atlanta?

Broncomutt
02-24-2010, 06:34 PM

People are such sheep.

Sure he got a softball by facing a Manning-less Indy. We got to face 2 softballs of our own, at home, and those softballs knocked us the **** out!

Literally and figuratively.

Not Ryan's fault the Colts benched some starters. It is his fault for taking care of business, by not choking, when the playoffs were in sight.

Serious question: Would you have more respect for Ryan had he started 6-0 followed by a 2-8 swan dive into the baby pool?

Glad your posting again, but c'mon with the sheep thing.

DBroncos4life
02-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Hilarious!

They are allowed one interview prior to the divisional round of the playoffs. I already pointed that out. As of Jan 6th Denver had not interviewed Ryan. After the divisional round they are not allowed to interview. Denver hired McD on Jan 12th. That leaves 6 days for Ryan and Denver to meet while Ryan was busy putting together a game plan for the up coming game with the Titans. Not one media outlet even reported Denver and Ryan meeting during this time frame or any other time for that matter.

Ryan on the other hand had two interviews with the Falcons....
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3196889

This has little to do with defending anyone nor did I spend more then 10 minutes looking it up. This isn't the 80's google is pretty simple to use. There are no reports that Denver ever interviewed Ryan period.

TonyR
02-24-2010, 08:17 PM

Not only that but his own previous employer, the Baltimore Ravens, went outside the organization and hired a head coach (John Harbaugh, who was the Philadelpia Eagles defensive secondary coach and got the interview only after they were turned down by first choice Jason Garrett) over him the year before. And that's one of the best FO's in the business we're talking about. So the Broncos were far from the first team not to be interested in Rex Ryan. People need to drop this stupidity. Dopey Mock wanted a "defensive coach" but how did Spagnuolo and Morris do in their new jobs last year? Give it a rest.

DBroncos4life
02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't want to debate who would have been a better coach for Denver. I am how ever willing to bet that had we landed Ryan he would have brought in Jim Leonhard, Bart Scott, and Marques Douglas just like he did for the Jets. It's hard telling what he would have done at the second DB (Andre' Goodman) and SS (Dawkins). He did sign Lito Sheppard last year with the Jets. I think Goodman is a better player. Anyways some damn good players on the defense seem to like and follow Ryan around which was a area of concern of our team from 08. The Jets defense went from 16th/18th (yards/points) to 1st/1st in one season under Ryan. I don't care how many teams did interview him and pass him over in the past, clearly the man is good at part of his job.

BroncoBuff
02-25-2010, 02:04 AM
The offense was set other than a 2RB and tweaking at LG.

Agree ... but I think we needed a workhorse RB, Hillis is/was more of a 3rd down kinda guy.

And it takes a definite lack of football understanding to pretend Rex Ryan doesn't deserve serious credit. With a rookie QB, their PF was 116 over their PA. And now they're going to sign either Asomugha or Cromartie to team with Revis ... so I'm thinking we should get very used to the Jets in postseason.

And to say they were "lucky" the Colts took the week off, well, people could argue convincingly that we were lucky to get 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league at home to finish the season. So if you're gonna take credit away from Ryan, what must you think of Josh? Jets did it, we did not, end of story.

Think through this stuff, don't just be a Superfan and think that's enough.

BroncoBuff
02-25-2010, 02:32 AM
Though I should add that I don't think a "defensive" head coach could have done any better than Mike Nolan did in boosting the #31 defense to the #7 defense while simultaneously making wholesale changes in both personnel and system. That was a real work of art.